JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Quoits | Monday 19th, afternoon (open)

Hope

Nicci and Lucy

“Thursday will probably be fine. I shall have to ask Her Majesty for a day off, but it shouldn’t be a problem. I very rarely ask for time to myself these days.” Her duties kept her mind off of her troubles, at least for a short time.

“When shall we visit Louis?”

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Karoline and Sophia

In answer to the Queen’s shrug, Sophia tilted her head sideways, silently indicating that she had no idea what was going on either. Though tempted to glance over at them again, she kept her gaze on Her Majesty.

She understood the need for Queen Karoline to have her food and drink tasted first. Memories flooded her mind of that night in Brighton last year when Juan had been poisoned and nearly died. All rulers were in danger of being assassinated at any time. As were Ambassadors. At least Esteban had not insisted that her food be tasted  now that she was pregnant. Unless it was done without her knowledge in the kitchen before it was served.

“Of course. I shall bring a sealed bottle and it can be opened when you are ready to try it.” Sophia was certain that the politically savvy Queen knew why. If it was opened in her presence, then there was no chance that poison could be added to it and blamed on Spain.

Her eyes lit up when she was invited to join the Queen and her ladies to watch a yacht race she had not yet heard about. Sophia was able to handle her fear of water much better now and didn’t worry that she might embarrass herself by passing out.

“I would be delighted, Your Majesty.” The bottle would then be in the Queen’s possession and she wold know that it had not been tampered with. Maybe that was one reason she had suggested it, although Sophia hoped that she was also interested in becoming friends. “I wasn’t aware that there was going to be a yacht race. If Lord Kingston participates, he will probably win.”

Davina and Ursula

Ursula blinked with an eyebrow raise as Davina offered the tissue wrapped pocket item, though it did not take her log to guess what it was. She'd been told to return it, and so now, here it was. 

"Thank you Mistress Wellsley." she took the item, not unwrapping it, and pressed it into her own. 

"Yes I think I shall sit here for a time." she quietly agreed as Davina said she would take herself away now.  The young women seemed far more dramatic today that Ursula remembered. First the shouting. And now this.  They did say that prison changed a person, so perhaps that was what it was.   Ursula thought about that for a very little while, before her concentration lapsed.

Perhaps in time Davina would come to learn that Ursula had not black listed her, not would she avoid her etcetera in the future.  Davina’s strange manner of offering her comfort was, well strange, but as the Marchioness had said let it be as though it never happened. She did not have the energy, nor interest, to nurse a grudge. 

Instead a songbird caught her ears, and looking distantly she thought to savour it's tune.  

Nicci and Lucy

"What say Wednesday evening?"  Nicci suggested, "I am busy Thursday, but we might plan to go to the Carnival on Friday. If you can manage permission?"

She paused then added, "Even if Louis does refuse, you shall go to the Carnival with me wont you Lucy?  They might have games we can try our luck in, it is bound to be the best carnival I've ever been too - because every other carnival I'd attended has been when I had money in my pocket.  I want to try out all the activities!"

Karoline and Sophia

“That shall be perfect." Karoline appreciated Sophias understanding in that regard.  Although really such things were something she need not worry about, for there was a very good system in place especially after CR's first wife had been poisoned.

“You have great confidence in Lord Kingston!" Karoline laughed as Sophia picked her favourite in the race.  "Shat the most unassuming competitor win the race indeed?   We might see sneaky antics from our sailors I think, so many big egos that will want to come first.  We should probably have somebody check that none of the cannons are loaded with smoke bombs!" 

"Shall we make a wager between us.  I shall of course bet on my Lord Husband.  What shall the forfeit be?"  She asked her new friend to determine. 

Nicci and Lucy

“I’m fairly certain that she can spare me on Friday if I ask her later today.” Lucy glanced toward her mistress, who was conversing with the very pregnant Spanish Ambassador’s wife. She shouldn’t have looked.  Pregnant women and babies brought back her worries for her own little son.

She quickly turned away, preferring to focus on her cousin’s excitement. Nicci had come to England practically penniless. Now that she had plenty of money, of course she would want to take part in all the activities she had been denied because of her lack of funds.

“I will accompany you, with or without Louis. If he doesn’t go with us, then he can’t forbid us from trying things he considers unsuitable for us.”

Karoline and Sophia

“Never underestimate the quiet ones,” Sophia quipped. “Lord Kingston always excels in everything he does. He just doesn’t brag like most courtiers do. And he won’t cheat either. Though I believe you’re right and others will try. Do you know what the prize is?”

She had perfect confidence that she had picked the winner until the Queen revealed that the King would be competing too. Nobody would dare beat their monarch, even if they could. Unless he had lost other races in the past and was a good sport about it. Sophia could not remember him participating in any competition that she had watched.

Just in case the other sailors, including Lord Kingston, did let the King win, she needed to pick a forfeit that would benefit the loser as well as the winner. “Hmmmm…” She tilted her head in thought. “How about the loser hosts the winner for lunch?”

• 2 months later...
  • Hope locked this topic