JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Quoits | Monday 19th, afternoon (open)

Hope

Nicci and Lucy

“Ah yes school room is the better word.” Nicci nodded in agreement with Lucy’s amendment, and then paid heed to the benefits of the Queens household that she’d not thought of. 

“Though of course our greatest protection is Lord Basildon, Louis your brother, my cousin.” They surely knew that he was a dozing guard hound, allowing the ladies their respective lives but ready to leap to take care of them if ever needed.

Lucy mused how she had already achieved everything anyone could ever want, so Nicci nodded at that, while wondering if her cousin was really content to rest upon her laurels at the top of a proverbial heap.   Louis was so ambitious.  Surely Lucy envisioned more to her life too.

“I am sure the nursemaids and doctors are doing all they can for the baby.  And there is really no need to penalise yourself, especially as there is nothing you can do to help while here in Windsor.” Nicci assumed the baby was safe at home in the Nursery. “It shall do you some good to see the sights, it will take your mind off your worries - and you would be doing me a great favour.  My dearest friend is about to be married, and has not much interest in attending with me. But I can hardly attend all by myself.”

She appreciated the small gesture and squeeze of hand, and she gained a sense that their relationship was mending. 

“Perhaps we can both beg and bully Louis to come with us? That would be fun, don’t you think?”

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davina and Ursula

Ursula did not scold, but spoke in a soft and almost sad tone – she was unable to muster enthuse.  Davina told her more details about gardens, and the Marchionesses gaze slid to those they walked slowly by. Pausing for a moment she touched one of late summers final buds. Would it have time to open into a bull bloom? No one knew.

It surprised her then when Davina asked her to join her project. It surprised her so much she loosed a light laugh, “Aha, that is so sweet of you to ask, you are considerate even to do so.”  Ursula experience with young ladies had taught her that they rarely thought about anyone but themselves. 

“But I shall decline, for you see currently I feel to pick up a straw is a bushel.” She explained kindly, “But there is one whom I can recommend to you, that is Mrs Burnet – the reverends wife. She did a fine job in her part of the Queens Memorial Gardens in London – and surely you have admired the bouquets of at Chapel services, which are creations under her instruction. In fact I believe she does the most of them by herself.”

She would not mention Mrs Burnets activist work in the marches against coffeehouses, that had been some seasons ago, and now successfully played down. And it was highly unlikely that she’d lure Davina into vocal protests over this or that womanly concern. 

“I can arrange a meeting with her, if you are not known to her already.” Touched at Davina’s invite, though she declined it, Ursula was willing to help in this much.

Karoline and Sophia

“Oh a new baby is a strange thing, rather too small to want to hold it, lest damage him by mistake.  I am content to wait till mine is a bit more robust.  Then I am sure to want him about me whenever I go for walks and that sort of thing.”

She confided, Karoline was a modern woman of the times and quite content to let the servants take care of the baby, which was the norm with their class.

“I would not want to cause eyes to roll and be too clingy… like, do you remember that certain Viscountess who took her baby everywhere, and talked to everyone about it all the time. Many persons told me, in confidence of course, that it was very boring. There being a great limit to the amount of conversation you can invent in that situation.”

As to their titles when married, there was not much Karoline could add to her lofty match. While Sofia told of how the Ambassador had only been an Count when they had wed. And that Kingston had protested it.

“Oh I like Lord Kingston, we call him Lord of Pickles did you know.” She grinned, “He has an uncanny ability to hunt out items. I suppose part of it is that he does not give up, where others might.”

The topic wandered.

Davina and Ursula

Really there was something decidedly off about Lady Mountjoy and she found herself growing concerned.

"Are you unwell? Forgive me for asking but our conversation is so out of the ordinary and you are speaking in such odd ways."

She too had paused and stepped a bit closer to not be overheard - not that any were close enough to do so!

"It is as if you are lacking in Spirit or something. Even your manner  ...."

She drew a breath and then offer an apology.

"I have misspoke yet again. It seems like you shall ever be correcting me. I have no right to pry."

"This Mrs. Burnet is a name I am familiar with for her endeavors as you described. I should be most grateful for any help that you might offer."

"I have not the pleasure of an introduction."

She grew quiet after that unsure of what direction to now proceed in.

"Shall we walk on  ....."

Said quietly to the other. The intent being that Davina would now keep her eye on Lady Mountjoy and at any sign of discomforts would not hesitate to ask for help. Obviously with as little fanfare as possible.

What could be the cause? Was she suffering from some illness perhaps that had taken a turn for the worse? Or was it Lord Mountjoy who was ill  ......

That it was none of her business she understood full well. But she was too long in the Company of Lady Mountjoy over these past years and there was a degree of affection because of it.

Davina and Ursula

"Then I shall arrange it, and send you a note when a time is set." Ursula replied of Mrs Burnet, feeling certain that the reverends wife would leap at the chance. 

Given everything that had happened last season, one might be surprised that Ursula might chose to confide in Davina. But they had known each other many years now, and though what ever ups and down there had been, she knew there was a good heart in the young woman who now went out of her way to talk with her.   

Drawing a long breath the German woman paused to look out over the view.  "I am..." physically she was well, or at least she was not sick. Only she was not really well.  Not thriving at least.  "I am better for your asking, thank you."  

She turned to meet Davina's eyes, and then said, "It is a personal matter really, so please keep this to yourself.  I was with child at end of last season, but no longer am." she explained as discreetly as she could.  "And since, I am heart sick." 

Davina and Ursula

"I appreciate that. I do not know why I am so bothered by this - it is not as if I actually need to have more hands - but since the suggestion was placed I must see to it."

"I hope that Mrs. Burnet will not be too wanting to suggest 'ideas'. And since she is my elder ....."

She let her words trail off since her meanings would be clear enough.

What came next did catch her by surprise. Her reaction to it was without thought and she carefully guided them towards an area much like the one Davina had waited in earlier. But this one, while wind sheltered, still allowed them to 'be seen' by the others not far away.

"I shall never speak of what is discussed. You have my word."

Giving that was far superior than just a 'promise' for ones Word meant everything.

"Please. "

She would assist Lady Mountjoy to be seated as if she was indeed so fragile as to break on her own.

"Of course you are. How could you not be."

Said as she knelt at the others feet her gaze as direct as the others' had been.

"I am sorry to hear it. Now tis plain as to how you are  ..... You are not  .... ill from it then?"

"Forgive me I have not the experience so my choice of words are not right and might hurt. But I too am a woman and so there is enough understanding."

"Your Doctor - has he been careful of you? He best be! Your husband will not take it lightly if something would happen to you. EVERYONE knows of the affection and love he bears towards you."

She paused unsure of how to further direct this. Did one ask if another try will be had? Or how long one had to wait until then?

Really this unmarried state of hers was so limiting! Marrying for the sake of conversations alone was looking encouraging!

Nicci and Lucy

“Of course,” Lucy agreed about Louis. She knew that he would always take care of her, but she still wasn’t convinced that Nicci becoming the King’s mistress would help their family rise in favor. There was still a chance that she would be dismissed from her position if ..no, when ... the Queen found out, and if her cousin displeased the monarch, Basildon would become a cursed name at court. They might even be exiled and have to flee to France. Her husband could set her aside because she failed to provide him with a healthy heir. Or everything would go as perfectly as her brother claimed and they would become one of the most revered and influential families at court.

That she questioned Louis’ decision attested to the fact that she was growing up and no longer as trusting as she used to be. Lucy was ambitious and had asked Louis to be included in the planning of family matters when he had told her that Nicci had caught the King’s eye. She didn’t want to just accept his decisions anymore, but to be a part of them. Though she was the youngest, she was also the highest in  status and had the most to lose.  She believed that should have a say.

What her cousin said was true. There was nothing she could do for her ailing son. He had the best doctors that money could buy and nurses who were experts in taking care of sick babies. That knowledge was what had convinced her to come to Windsor, when her first instinct was to stay at home with him. If babies could sense emotions, his mother’s brooding might make him worse. Lucy could fret just as well at court. And if she stayed away from her duties too long, she would be dismissed.

Nicci made a good argument for attending the circus with her. “Very well,” A small smile curved her lips. “I will go with you. And yes, let’s invite Louis too. He is probably lonely while Lisa is in the Netherlands.” In ordinary circumstances, she would have preferred that he didn’t accompany them because he might prevent them from doing fun things. Now, though, he would probably be more fun than she was.

Karoline and Sophia

The Queen had never held her own baby? Sophia’s arms felt empty already and hers wasn’t even born yet. Hurting her child by mistake had never crossed her mind but now she worried that perhaps she might accidentally cause it harm. The baby kicked her hard again, perhaps either in agreement or disapproval.

The petite Countess was unconventional in many things, but she was perfectly content to let her baby be raised on an estate by nursemaids, governesses, and tutors. She hoped to visit it often, for she believed that a child should have a good relationship with its parents. Sophia had been very close to her father, though he had not had a lot of time to spend with her.

She wrinkled her nose when Queen Karoline spoke of a lady took her baby everywhere and constantly talked about it. “How awful! I don’t believe I met her. Maybe she made a nuisance of herself before I moved to England. I can’t believe that a mother would be foolish and selfish enough to bring a baby to court.  If I had known her, I would have told her so!” Germans were notorious for being blunt.

Sophia laughed at Francis’ nickname. “I’m going to call him that the next time I see him, Did he bring you some pickles? Is that where the nickname comes from?”

She returned the Queen’s grin. “He is definitely persistent. I confess that I was not the most biddable ward and probably caused him no end of grief. Yet he never gave up on me and I’m a better person today because of his care and guidance.” Again, she lowered her voice.   “He even spanked me once when I disobeyed him."  Sophia chuckled lyrically.  "I thought he was being cruel and unfair but in truth, I deserved it.  Now I think of him as the older brother I always wished I had.  He still gives me advice occasionally."

Nicci and Lucy

But Nicolette had no idea how troubled her cousin was, for she shared none of her fears with her. Perhaps she spoke more freely with Louis, but then again, probably not.  Lucy was doing her best to make her own place in the world, independent of her brothers vision - while she seemed to forget that it had been Louis and Lisa’s plotting that set up her marriage to the Duke, and that Louis had then blatantly encouraged her nuptials since then so that her place could be cemented after production of an heir.  Louis would not let anything endanger his had won victories, of which, Lucy was the greatest yet. 

"Yes I think he's a little blue too, for there is so much less politics to be had in Windsor than London, and you know how he thrives upon that.  An afternoon of carnival games and sweets is bound to do him much good. " Nicci smiled cheerily, "Shall I let you ask him for a time that suits then, I know you see him most frequently."   

Karoline and Sophia

OOC: Karoline did not mean she had never held her baby, only that she was not comfortable of doing so. But that is just an ic misunderstanding, so no actually issue to clarify.

IC:

“Perhaps someone else already told her, for now that I think of her, I have not seen her about.” Karoline replied, while quietly pleased at Sophia’s intended forthright.

“He may not appreciate it becoming common place though, even if it’s said with fondness.” Of the  Pickles nickname she said, “It was Gherkins actually, I had an insatiable hunger for them at one stage of my pregnancy. Oh but you shall no doubt have had your own cravings too.”

Her eyebrows rose upon hearing that Francis had spanked Sophia.  Karoline thought not make a comment about that, but thought it taking his wardship a touch too far. Even if the lady considered that she’d deserved it…  this was the sort of information that could spin out of control. 

“Hmm, and what advice do you think he would have regarding telling that story to me?” Karoline strategically asked.

Davina and Ursula

Ursula paused at Davina’s clarification of not wanting ideas from a gardening companion, “Ah, well perhaps Mrs Burnet is not a good fit after all.” She amended, “as it is her passion, so she is bound to have suggestions.  You might be better with some younger girls then.”

“Thank you.” She accepted Davina’s vow of discretion. All the while aware that this was a most unlikely confidence she entered into. Perhaps it was that Davina was outside of her main loop that made this possible. 

However Lady Mountjoy was not so physically frail as to need help sitting, though she did indeed take a place upon the bench seat that they now came to.  “Not that any prescription or treatment from the doctor can remedy.” She replied quietly, then added, "Please, sit at my side." 

Grateful of Davina’s caring tone, a part of her heart was sated by the distress even, in her tone.  And her profession about Lord Mountjoy’s love for her, also appeased.  

“Men live in such a different world than we.” She replied vaguely, “I hardly know if he really understands how it is, though I know he does his best.  I think the quality he most seeks from me is stoicism.” Quietly said, “If I can maintain that, he might be content enough, for a while.”

Ursula did not think that the status quo was one that could endure long, though Charles denied that, and no doubt everyone else would also.  Afterall, what was the alternative?

Davina and Ursula

"Well please allow me to see before that conclusion is reached. Perhaps I have been overly cautious?"

She did as asked and settled herself next to her.

"But why so?" She asked in surprise as Lady Mountjoy seemed to imply that Lord Mountjoy expected her to NOT be sensitive and emotional at this time by the use of that word Stoic. "That word alone implies that one should have no display of feelings and no complaints as well."

"How is that even possible in this instance? You have suffered a loss and tis natural that you should mourn and lament."

"Have you done so Madam? For that will surely bring about some reliefs .... Why if it were I there would be endless tears and I would expect that my husband would share in it."

"Yes a man will express it perhaps not that way but I am sure that Lord Mountjoy suffers as greatly as you. He is not breed to show it as are most of his sex."

"Have you thought that perhaps you each wait for the other to make a move? Have you not cried and sought comforts from him?"

"That 'quality' you think he seeks might well be used to describe a thing in general that he expects from you. But this, well, this is different."

"It is not too late. How could it be?"

She knew that she was more like than not sprouting nonsense as she herself had no knowledge of husband and wife or loss of a child.

But common sense said that to think a woman should bottle up her grief and not be allowed to express it fully because it might leave her husband seeing her in a less favorable light was unacceptable.

"And above all else you do a disservice to yourself. You are a Queen's Lady and have many responsibilities that are oft times heavy."

"How many times do we, as women, imagine that it is better to stuff out mouth and be silent or change a part of who we are so that we keep a man happy and content?"

"I have sacrificed much for that very reason because I depend upon my brother and also Norfolk. They ensure my very survival as I have no husband. Yet now I have gone against both to my peril."

"If you do not speak your heart out in the open to your husband then what if it festers and soon resentment replaces love?"

"You also must keep your health. Everything out of balance is unhealthy. And if you wish for an another child then do not be foolish and neglect."

She hoped her whisperings would be well taken and that Lady Mountjoy might well see how much she was cared for.

Nicci and Lucy

Lucy did not know Nicci well enough to confide in her. Though they were cousins, they spent little time in each other’s company. And soon she would have to pretend that she hated her when the truth of her affair was revealed. That didn’t mean that they couldn’t be friends; they just couldn’t show it in public. As long as Her Majesty didn’t know, they could still be seen together. Lucy hoped that her mistress never found out, but she knew that eventually, somebody would tell her. It might even be a jealous maid of honor who wished to destroy the young Duchess.

“Why don’t we ask Louis together?” she suggested. “He will never be able to refuse us both.”

Karoline and Sophia

“If it happened before I arrived in England, then her baby would be over two years old. Maybe she finally came to her senses and realized that children should be raised in the fresh country air and not in London. Maybe she stayed with the child, since it seems she was obsessed with it.”

Sophia didn’t think she would be that preoccupied by her baby. She would definitely not bring it to court. While she had at first feared that her son or daughter would be raised in Spain, she had come to terms with the fact that it might be the best place for the child. She spent more time in Spain than in England, anyway, and in Spain, Juan would be able to watch his child grow up, though he wouldn’t be able to claim it, at least not at first.

So the Queen had craved gherkins while pregnant? Sophia wondered if it was the Dutch kind, which she couldn’t stand. It was difficult to avoid them because the Dutch chopped them up and put them in almost everything.  “For me, it was … and still is … colatura di alici, an Italian fish sauce. I’ve always liked it but now I can’t get enough of it. I also crave strawberries. They taste amazing with fish sauce drizzled on top.”

Queen Karoline’s question reminded the young Countess that the English did not share the same candor as Germans. That would be an amusing anecdote in her homeland but probably considered contemptible here. The young Countess tended to revert to German ways when conversing with other Germans, even though they were currently speaking English.

I should not have mentioned it, Your Majesty.” Sophia looked suitably chastised. Francis didn’t need any more scandal added to his troubles with those scandalous broadsheets. She quickly changed the subject. “I am proud of him for his recent rise in status. He truly deserves it.”

Nicci and Lucy

Nicci grinned at her cousins suggestion, and it's inclusiveness. "Tres Magnifique!  Between us we might coax him from his shell.  For such a fine looking gent Louis is not nearly sociable enough, it woudl be fine to see him laugh more." 

Yes this was the fine way, and Nicci was delighted to feel herself allowed a bit closer to Lucy's heart.  "When shall we see him, perhaps in the evening when he's relaxed with a drink. Or then again, in the morning, before he's entirely woken up." Nicci winked cheerfully.

Davina and Ursula

"Very well then, I shall speak to her then send you a note with a time we might take tea together.  If you seem to be well matched, I shall excuse myself and leave you both to it.” Tentative plans were made.

"It is men’s way I think.” She explained, “Though that is surprises you must mean that your own Baintree is not this way.” Said because she assumed that Davinas brother was the closest male relationship she’d had.  “Unfortunately many men like to say how women’s thoughts are a mystery to them, which thus makes empathy from them impossible. How can they be sensitive to something they have no comprehension of.” She shared private thoughts.   

The young lady suggested giving into the grief for a time might help, a thought that had Lady Mountjoy fall quiet.  There had not been joint tears.  Perhaps that would have helped, for as it was she felt quite alone with her grief.

Davina also supposed that Charles suffered sadness of the loss too.  Which Ursula had imagined, possibly hoped, though Charles was not the sort to show much emotion about things that were not hunting related. 

"Yes I have cried. It made him very uncomfortable, so that I did my best to desist as quickly as ai could.” Said Ursula.  While not wanting to betray her husbands by such confidence, she needed to confide her sadness in someone who might understand. Not that Davina could truly understand, as a largely inexperienced lass, but, she managed admirably enough that Ursula continued to open up.

"The Doctors advised I am too old.” She further explained, “that there is only a limited time when the miracle of childbirth is possible, and I have exceeded that.”

Davina was insightful enough to realise that this could be a dreadful catalyst between Lord and His Wife, that without understanding love could become resentment.  Taking the girls hand Ursula squeezed it in silence, the lump in her throat too large to talk.

Karoline and Sophia

Karoline was not to say the name of the lady she spoke about, for such things had ways of turning around back upon oneself.  Better the child on hip carrying Lady remain an ethereal, while she was pleased the new friend she was making was not of that same ilk. (Though in fact the lady with child on hip had other qualities that Karoline thought far more poorly of.)

“Hmm, I do not think I have tried this ‘colatura di alici’, it must be salty?  It is a curious thing how unusual pairings can taste so delicious while heavy with child, I wonder though, that now that I am not, I might not delight so much in the flavour.” A pause. “But I would still try it.”

ua, an Italian fish sauce. I’ve always liked it but now I can’t get enough of it. I also crave strawberries. They taste amazing with fish sauce drizzled on top.”

“That is wise.” Karoline replied as Sophia retracted her tale, “my ears have never heard it.  While I am in agreement that there are not many who are more deserving than he.  Modesty is an appealing trait, and rather rare at court.”

Davina and Ursula

She nodded her agreement to the plans made.

"My brother is, as you say, many times unable to understand me. But I do not think that is always true."

"I think he sometimes just says things in order to score a point or bring me to heel over some matter that I am being too difficult about. And other times I think he finds me a complication."

"It must be the same with your husband too."

"If you think he can not show his true self to you, his beloved wife, then to who does he turn? Perhaps he thinks that you think HE should portray his masculine self and if he wavers you will think less of him?

"Any man who sees his loved one in such distress might act so. Yet you cut him off from offering anything thinking that was what he wanted you to do."

"Clearly you both are at cross-purposes."

"It might well be time to strike a balance before any more damage is done do you not think? Ask for his time and it being the two of you alone. In some place that you both favor."

"You must move past the resentment of his lack of feeling and he must move past his discomfort of seeing your true self."

"Only then can the knot in your hearts be untied."

She caught herself up then.

"Goodness! How like some elderly Matron I sound. Yet I will say in all truth that I have had my own heart broken by a man whom I loved".

"The chill that developed between us was a thing that I shall always remember. He could not see how his words had hurt and I could not understand how he could have said them. It did not help that he confessed to having another that he was 'bound to'."

"That was why he could not marry me. Yet did not marry Her either ...... "

She paused and looked away then continued

"But there came a day when we both did as I have suggested for you and now, well, I will say we have a friendship that is cool and we each want the best for the other. But we shall never again be as we were."

"That is why you needs must not put this off any longer."

She then listens as Lady Mountjoy spoke of her true sorrow.

"Well I have never had a child. But I can say that the elder women of my family have told me often enough that a woman's time to bear children will cease once her cycle has not come for some time."

"If that is not the case for you then how can you say tis too late? And Doctors are many times incorrect and besides as MEN how can they understand how those of our sex feel?'

"Do we not know our own bodies? Why the thought that I should accept what they tell me as Gospel Truth when I know that I am not near to the ending as they preach might well make me throw something!"

Her grip on the others hands tightened as she finished her speech.

This shared connection was bound to now change them irrecoverably and perhaps even bind them into a friendship that neither had ever expected.

Edited by Davina Wellsley

"Well no, my husband and I have talked, so that I understand him more than what you suggest.  My Lord is the valiantly optimistic type you see, and so he is able to comfort his grief with hopes to the morrow.  Where his lack of understanding comes in is that he cannot fathom that I am unable to do the same."

"I wonder perhaps it is the age difference, he is younger you see, and has not the same emotional scars as I. Even though as you say, in your own youth you bear too.  But still... I am beyond it.  I do not want to see another doctor. I do not want to hope then be disappointed again. I just. Do not."

She sighed at this, with something of a sense that in this Davina did not understand either.  Never the less it was comforting to share it. 

"At the end of the day all these feelings really mean nothing, for I have promised to continue on."  

Davina and Ursula

She gave a sound that was much like a 'urgh' in frustration

"How can you be like this?" She whispered with a touch of spirit. "You are hardly the Lady Mountjoy of my memory! I have seen you Madam in all your capacity and in recent memory in the Company of Buckingham and The King." 

She let go of the others' hands and half turned to face her.

"This person you present to me now is so far removed that I might think you some jade that has spirited away the real one."

"So you will simply surrender the Field afore the battle is even done - you wish for another child and yet here you sit declaring that you will do nothing more to achieve it? Why how can you be so? The reason - that you have given your promise to be a Martyr to your husband's wants and think to sacrifice yourself and carry that Cross the rest of your life."

"You are a fool. Yes. A fool." 

"You will deny yourself another chance for a child simple because you are unable to express your own emotions. Optimistic he may well be but tis very clear he is blind as well. Is it not for you to set to right his mis-aligned ideas. He comprehends that men and women are different does he not? Then he must also understand that he needs must change his ideas on how women actually are!"

"So do not see another Doctor!"

"Go instead to a reputable Apothecary and ask for herbs and such that shall help you."

"Seek out your midwife for advice. There is vast knowledge to be had. And as a woman will your wants not be understood and helped by other women?"

"Take charge of yourself and just maybe your Prayers will be answered."

"If not then resign yourself to a Life of pandering to a husband who does not care a fig for the feelings of his wife."

She stood abruptly and moved a few steps away her back to Lady Mountjoy. Her own breathing came fast for her audacious behavior in speaking was a thing she had never dared to show before.

Ever.

But all of this had been said with the intention of stirring the other up!

Sometimes one had to make another angry so that the path forward could be cleared for the next steps.

Her own Prayer was added in for good measure and it was with true and sincere feelings that Davina hoped that Lady Mountjoy would respond and understand.

And if not, well, she had at least tried and so nothing more would be left to say.

Nicci and Lucy

“He’s probably worried about Lisa.” Lucy was concerned about her too. Her previous pregnancies had not gone well and only one of her four children had lived. At least her nephew was healthy, unlike his baby cousin. She hoped that her sister-in-law was only carrying one child this time, and that it would be healthy as well. Lucy prayed for them every evening.

It was difficult to stay depressed around Nicci. “Perhaps evening would be best. I think most gentlemen are rather grumpy in the morning. Maybe we can both visit him on the same day. One of us can arrive earlier than the other so he won’t suspect we are plotting together.”

Karoline and Sophia

“Italians use it to make their food saltier and tastier. It is much more flavorful than plain old salt. I highly recommend it, but it is an acquired taste. I was introduced to it when I lived in Venice and loved it right away. But until I became pregnant, I never thought of drizzling it on strawberries before. Maybe I will no longer like that combination after the baby is born.”

Sophia grinned when the Queen said she would like to try the sauce. “I can send you a bottle if you would like, Your Majesty.” She tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Or perhaps I should bring it myself. If a careless servant drops it, the palace will smell like fish for weeks. I spilled a few drops once and the aroma lingered for days, even though it was thoroughly cleaned.” She chuckled. “My cats went crazy.”

As anyone could visit the Queen’s presence chamber, she didn’t think she was being presumptuous by offering to deliver the bottle herself. If Queen Karoline didn’t want to see her, she could just hand it to Lady Mountjoy and leave. However, she hoped that the other German would invite her to stay at least for a short while.

“Thank you, Your Majesty. I will think before I speak from now on. I certainly wouldn’t want to cause him more problems than he is already facing. I agree that his modesty is refreshing and adds to his amiability and charm. Maybe that is one of the reasons he was targeted by those dreadful broadsheets.”

Nicolette had not even realised that her cousin was cunning. 

Delighted she agreed, "Oh yes, asking seperately, he might be unaware that we've planned it all. Perhaps we should even say that we are bickering, and want an outing to lift our spirits?  You and I seperately might ask him to take us to the carnival, with seeming unaware that we asked his company for the same time. Perhaps to meet him at the carnival entrance at something-or-rather o’clock." 

"So that he might think that by agreeing to take us separately, he plots our reunion.   Oh ho, then we shall both laugh when he arrives at the right time to find us already there as best of friends, and realises that we outsmarted him!" 

Davina and Ursula

While Ursula knew very well that Davina’s worst failing was her temper, she had not imagined it would be (especially right now when she was at her most vulnerable) unleased upon herself.

She was shocked, or a less mobile version of that sensation, yes it was saddened that she felt at the tirade loosed upon her.  It was like Davina was a duplicate of her husband, and could not fathom nor accept that she was besides herself with grief. 

Davina shouted and practically demanded that she get back to her feet and fight, while Charles had used another tack, and simply refused to believe what she’d.  They were different, but in the end the same.   

A waive of exhaustion swept over the once commanding lady, and she turned her head and looked out over the view.  She gave no response, there was nothing she wanted to say.  As she'd done after her conversation with her Lord Husband, she now introverted to the solice of silence.

Karoline and Sophia

“I shall have to ask Lord Kingston to find me some...” Karoline begun, then her eyes were drawn away by the movement of Davina who’d been sat near Lady Mountjoy some distance off. It looked like Davina was upset. “…or a bottle from you, shall be even simpler – though we must not tell Lord Kingston lest he become jealous of his role.  I think he rather enjoyed being a master of unusual procurements.”

Meanwhile Karoline understood why the Ambassadors wife offered the personal delivery, it was the same reason that Francis delivered things personally rather then sending a page. There was a sense of preferment for a duty that brought a lord or lady into the Queens Chambers, and that persons service to the Queen was witnessed by dozens of others who’d found reasons to also be present.

“That would be delightful.” Karoline gifted this agreement with a knowing smile, while cogs in her mind whirred to political possibilities of an association between women with influence, for she was very much aware that she was currently talking to Spain.  And that surely, the young lady would report this all to her husband, who might be clever enough to utilise the situation.  

Karoline always had held an interest in trade.

Davina and Ursula

Where there should have been words there was silence.

She turned round to see that Lady Mountjoy, far from being angered, was instead seemingly staring into nothing.

This lack of any emotion had Davina on her knees yet again as she realized what must be occurring. Or so she is assuming.

"Oh! Oh what have I done  ..... " she whispered. "In my desire to try to bring you to see that all was not lost I have again made a mistake."

"How could I be so senseless .... me a woman as well ..... not to have known that it would cause you even more distress   ..... how unfeeling I am  ..."

She looked with much concern at the other unsure now how to deal with such unresponsiveness.

"Nothing was meant to make you this way. I am indeed cursed with this temper but I swear I meant none of it to heart."

She was close to tears herself now and wished that she could undo these last few minutes.

Sitting back on her haunches she looked with eyes filled and lips trembling up at Lady Mountjoy who, and with good reason, would now abandon this worthless and unfeeling person.

She would seek any avenue to escape if presented with one to spare the other her presence.

Lucy and Nicci

Lucy contemplated Nicci’s plan. Conspiring with her cousin was taking her attention away from her worries and improving her mood. “I don’t think that we should pretend to be quarreling, He may agree to take the first one who asks and then refuse the second because he doesn’t want to listen to us squabble. Men are like that, you know.”

She doubted the King had any patience when his mistresses were bickering either. He probably kept them away from each other for that very reason. The Duchess wondered if Nicci had met any of the others.

“I like the idea of outsmarting him, though. He won’t know that we planned it beforehand unless we tell him.” Nicci might have a better idea for playing a prank on Louis. She was so great at coming up with mischief.

Karoline and Sophia

Sophia’s eyes followed the Queen’s to where Mistress Wellseley and Lady Mountjoy were conversing.  Davina fell to her knees before the older lady and she wondered if her friend was pleading to be reinstated as a lady-in-waiting. The petite blonde had no idea why she had lost her position and been thrown into the tower, but she must have been accused of a serious offense. The fact that she had been released implied that she had been innocent of the charges against her. She hoped that Lady Mountjoy would be compassionate toward Davina. She deserved a second chance.

Turning her attention back to the Queen, she grinned. “I promise I shall not tell him.” Sophia was fairly certain that Francis already knew that she used the sauce,since she had brought some with her when he brought her to England. She had lived with the Doolittles but she wouldn’t be surprised if Sir Cedric had complained to him about the smell. If the Queen did ask him for it, he might get it from her rather than import it.  If a large quantity of bottles were damaged in a storm, he would likely never get the smell out.   He might have to buy another ship.

But that would not happen. Her Majesty agreed to let her deliver it. “I will be honored, Your Majesty.” Esteban had told her to start acting like an Ambassador's wife and she felt that she was making a step in the right direction.. Sophia, too, could see the political advantages in having a positive relationship with the Queen as well as other influential ladies at court.

“Is there any particular day and time that you would like me to bring it by?”

Davina and Ursula

While Ursula looked unseeing into the distance, she heard Davina speaking again. 

A part of her mind wondered what Davina wanted from her, another part of her no longer cared. Davina had asked questions of her, when others had not dared to, but then Davina had gone too far and cast angry words her way when she'd heard things she'd not wanted to hear. 

"I shall not judge you Mistress Wellsley, and I ask that you do the same for me." she quietly spoke, and turning saw the distraught in the others posture.  "Our conversation has been in confidence, I think it to both our best interests if it is disbursed upon the very air, vanishing, to never be spoken of again."

She'd thought for a little while that the younger woman might be a confidante, a support through this distress, while she did her best to remain the 'Lady Mountjoy' for the Queens household that everyone expected of her.  But Davina's anger and frustration had put that thought to rest.  Better now that I just carry on as best I may.

Karoline and Sophia

There was something going on, but Karoline had complete confidence in Lady Mountjoy to handle whatever it was, and if necessary, she would be informed of it later.  Returning her gaze to Sophia she gave the slightest of shrugs, that might have meant 'I have no idea'. 

“Oh any day, but perhaps around lunchtime, we nearly always dine in my apartments. Though of course my tasters are terribly diligent and shall not let me sample the sauce until it is proven to be safe, so I shall not be able to sample it immediately."  The royal food testing regime was an unbudgeable instruction, Karoline had learnt this in person last season when she'd a gift she'd wanted to give the King immediately, but even she had then had to wait.

“Or, perhaps you join myself and my ladies in the viewing platform they are building for the Yacht race on Friday. You could bring it with you then.”

Lucy and Nicci

"La! You make a good point!" Nicci agreed, impressed at Lucys quickness to spot a possible obstacle. 

Unsaid was the question of 'who would Louis choose if there was a choice between them', highest odds would say it would be his sister, which meant that Lucy was especially kind to not claim that prize by default. 

"Lets stay with the simplest plan then, there will be fun enough at the Carnival itself.  Do you agree Thursday will be a good afternoon to go see the shows?"  

Davina and Ursula

It was what she had expected but not quite as harsh.

Standing she wiped at her cheeks to remove any trace of her own emotions and in much the same tone made her agreement.

"Yes. Very well it shall be as you request. No traces left. Forgot as if it never happened."

One hand reached into a pocket in her skirt and she drew out the object wrapped up that she had wanted to deliver back.

A few steps forward and she placed it beside Lady Mountjoy then stepped back.

"The chance never presented itself for its return. Now seems perfect."

"I am very sorry for the distress that I have caused you and I hope that one day you might see my actions for how they were meant."

"I will not offer to see you back to Her Majesty - I think my company is much unwanted and to remain would only cause you more distress."

"I shall leave first."

"God keep you Madam. I shall always pray for you."

She then did a deep reverence and turned away moving off in a different direction.

She doubted they would ever have much to do with each other now - only just the polite Social greetings of Court.

Blame was her own and she knew it but in her heart she could not understand how it had all gone wrong.

Perhaps she never would.

• Hope locked this topic