JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Christmas Ball Dancing- Xmas 1677

Blackguard

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The King and Davina

Aware of the position she had placed herself she nevertheless presented a calm outward apperance as she was led towards the dance floor - the way parting as if by some wave of a wand and reverances' and bows following - she could hear the the quick not so silent remarks as they moved forwards and if her chin lifted just that much higher so be it!

"I hope that His Grace will not be too hard on poor Herbert ...."

She said by way of something to do rather than remain silent her blue-eyed gaze looking at her Monarch a bit side ways as they arrived at last to the spot that had been clearly made for them and Davina hoped that all the others assembled would start together - the King would suruly gave some sign that was how it was to be?

• 2 weeks later...

The King and Davina, & Nicci - Danse-et-trois?

The previous encounter these three had shared had transpired into a contest for the Kings delight. Nicolette had certainty that her arrival now, although irregular, would further amuse his vanity.

With a glowing smile she spun in upon the pair, "La! Your Majesty's nymphs are returned to their devotions! Shall you chase us sire, if we again stray?" For the Frenchgirl presented her adoring look as a teaser, and now turned on away mid-dance to briefly disappear behind another dance pairing, only to reappear on the otherside with a playful laugh. "Shall the prize be the same as in the gardens?"

The King, Davina, & Nicolette

"Poor Herbert! Pah!" The King chuckled. "Buckingham will goad that boy until he is pink-cheeked!"

The Duke was very good at teasing and impressions.

The King was already on the floor with Mistress Wellesley for the 4th dance when their new Lady of Misrule came over. He rather enjoyed the moment of feeling that two pretty women were fighting over him, but the fact that he really rather disliked discord in women quickly followed. His gallantry was briefly at odds.

Would Mistress Wellesley rescue him? Since it was lady's choice, after all, he was merely the observer. He raised an amused eyebrow to see how it would play out.

She had chucked a bit at the Kings response and was set to take up her place when they were assaulted by none other than Nicolette herself ..

Davina narrowed her eyes and correctly surmised that there was something afoot and that was proved by the silly utterances that followed with references to that occassion in the Gardens and Nicolette was clearly aiming for her.

"If your Grace will allow ...."

She whispered to her partner noting that He was for a moment unsure and that would never do. She then took a few steps closer to the Kings side once again and then directed her words to Nicolette saying in a tone that carried

"Ah! Madam Missrule has begun then - are You to then alter the course of this dance in some fashion? If that is so then it must be quickly done for none may dance until His Majesty starts and so all needs must wait ... And are there to be 'nymphs' that shall dance as well? And a Prize! My! We all eagerly await You ..."

Her words carried just the right amount of sincerity as did her manner of some excitement at this 'guessing game' that now included the others' on the floor. The fact that she was deliberately twisting Nicolettes words must resonate back and she knew that the other was not stupid. Nor was The King and she did not think he would like any references to that being made Public - no matter how 'innocent' it had all been.

The ball was tossed back to Nicolette.

This was one Queen's Lady that was not so easily intimidated.

Nicolette could not say she knew the King by anything but his reputation. She believed him to be a cheerful figure eager to distract life with light distractions -- and so she'd gambled that presenting herself thusly would not go amiss. However she had misjudged; or at least that look upon his face as though he wanted Davina's protection, a look that Davina rose to like a protective hen.

Nicolette's solitary pirouette between couples at that moment gave her a chance to hide her surprise. Sacrebleu! Unwittingly she'd pushed the King and Davina closer together.

Yet if Davina thought Nicolette had any time for another laborious dictation from the queens maid she was wrong

Grinning as she spun back in upon the pair Nicolette crooned brightly to the King, "alas, a kiss lost not once but twice." her fingers whispered past his pocket* and onwards she danced away into the crowd.

As she'd told Louis when the night begun, her sole goal for the evening was to secret her handkerchief with initials N.V. upon the Royal Person. Her plan being that it be discovered when he disrobed that night, leaving the King to wonder to his pen pal having been so close - who might she have been?

Whatever happened, Nicci needed to maintain her part in the Duke's game, holding a vibrant smile in place se let Davinas words roll over her...

[*] Nicci tried to tuck her handkerchief into CR's pocket, believes she was successfull of it, though of course it's mod ruling to success or not.

(OOC - Handkerchief is in pocket )

The King was quite the cheerful figure, but he simply had an easy escape in the situation, and he took it. He was quite known for letting others do his dirty work, and it felt very good for ladies to fight over him. He did little but smile, looking between the two.

It was their choice for the evening after all! For once, though he was king, he had both a lady who had chosen him and a Lady of Misrule attempting to rule. So it was far from His Lowly Majesty who needed to make the move, ironically enough, and oh how he could not pass that up!

Honestly, it was rather the best kind of fun, and it proceeded in a pleasing way. Ladies who diffused his carefully hidden anxieties were always superior to those who caused his anxieties, and both had their own beauty of dealing with it.

His dark eyes trailed after Misrule before moving down and to his side to look at his wife's lady. "Our Lady of Misrule shall make mischief aplenty to light the season, do you not think?" he asked her. He gave a gesture to those waiting and the music was soon struck.

The King and Davina

She stood watching as Nicolette did her positioning close about the King's person then twirled herself away without any further words to herself. That she was a brazen little thing was apparent and Davina knew that her's were not the only set of eyes that watched.

When the King spoke she gave him a low reverence and then stood as all the others ready for the musicians to begin.

His Majesty's dancing did not evidence any lingering injury to his leg. Those closer to him might now that it ached far more frequently now, but Charles tried to ignore those signs of age, especially when the young ladies were so generous.

The King was not one to prey on the Queen's ladies, but that did not mean he was not flirtatious or gallant with them. It was all his personality.

As he danced with Mistress Wellesley, he could not help but dwell in previous thoughts he had of her, but he had yet to investigate.

His Majesty was nosy in matters of love.

When the dance was over, he offered her his arm and said, "Now, my dear, to which gentleman shall you introduce your final queries. We should not wish you to miss the final dance on account of none being able to follow this dance with such majestic aplomb. Shall it be one who is used to bearing burdens of not being able to measure up to their royal master?" he asked, a teasing mirth in his voice. "Any of our gentlemen or the young gentlemen close to us? It is the choice of the lady?"

Where she might aim might tell him much. Would it be Buckingham? James? Herbert? Dorset? Ashburnham? Or perhaps another?

The Toledos

... continued from main ball thread

They were early enough to find a good spot, and Sophia took her place across from Esteban. Was this his first dance of the evening? She couldn't remember seeing him during the first two dances, but she had missed the third and fourth. Knowing him, he had been discussing politics the entire time. “How many ladies asked you to dance tonight?” she asked teasingly. “Should I be jealous?”

Charles and Catherine

... contined from main thread

So he had not been able to mention her to Lady O'Roarke. Although Catherine had not been looking for York, maybe the reason why she hadn't seen him was because he had left with his redheaded whore. She fumed at this possibility until Charles spoke of sneaking away together. “I hardly thought of you at all,” she said as they took their places on the dance floor. “It is only your passion for me that makes you say such things. If you have your way, we'll skip the main course and go straight for dessert.”

Charles and Catherine

Fortunately, his mention of slipping away managed to blunt Catherine's annoyance with Nicolette. He supposed it was just jealousy that made her say such unkind things about such a charming lady.

"Of course I'll have it my way," he whispered in her ear before adding "and you would have it no other way." He was fairly certain that such titillating words would bring a smile to her lips.

His did his best to dance well, offering Catherine a knowing smile or a wink at the right moment that they drew close, suspecting that it would cause her to forget everything unpleasant and would whet her appetite for the physical exertions that would follow later in the evening when the candlelight was out.

In the end, he bowed as protocol dictated. "Let us head back and see if the King has any holiday announcements before we go," he suggested.

OOC~ Back to the main thread

Louis and Bridget

Basildon was a skilled dancer. A bit of showmanship or flourish on the dance floor was sure to gain notice, which was just what a vain lord sought. He did not hold back except to avoid upstaging his dance partner. She had her pride and Louis was catering to it because it suited his purpose.

With smiles cast in all directions, Louis made sure to find small things to whisper to Bridget during the dance to encourage her, but also to create the impression among gossip mongers that the two of them were more than friendly. It would not take much in his estimation to seem, to the uninformed observer, to know her intimately. Yet, the key was not to overdo it.

In the end, he provided a bow with a flourish, announcing a most enjoyable time and then suggesting that they go back into the crowd so that he might make good on some introductions.

Charles and Catherine

His breath tickling her ear made her entire body tremble. “Only because I know that resistance is futile,” she retorted with a cheeky smile. “And I have to admit, there are benefits to you being so in love with me.”

Catherine was a fine dancer, not particularly creative but naturally flirtatious. She had turned on the charm during her previous dances, hoping that York was watching and would be jealous. Two of her partners had propositioned her, so she must have aroused them. They had been turned down politely, of course. Not only had she not fancied either of them, she knew she would be going home with Charles.

Now he was giving her a taste of her own medicine. Those seductive winks and knowing smiles made it challenging for Catherine to focus on the steps, but to her credit, she did not stumble or miss any cues. When they came together, her eyes practically smouldered with passion. She thought she danced with him better than she danced with anyone else. Their styles were compatible both on the dance floor and in bed.

She was glad when the dance was over, for that meant the ball would end soon and they could be alone together. As the music died away, she curtsied to him and nodded at his suggestion. “I hope he doesn't make a speech. I'll have a hard time keeping your hands off of me if he does.”

Louis and Bridget

About all Bridget had left was her pride, but it served her well. Because of it, she was able to ignore the stares cast in her direction and stroll to the dance area with only partially-feigned confidence. Lord Basildon's attentions were doing wonders for her self-esteem.

He was an excellent dancer. Bridget usually performed the steps just as her dance master had taught her, but his creativity and embellishments inspired her to try her own. When he whispered to her, she smiled or laughed quietly, not because he had told her to, but because she really did find his comments interesting. She'd been lavished with attention in the past, but not by one such as he. He was not an awkward boy with stars in his eyes, but a gallant gentleman who was well-known at court.

And married, she reminded herself. However, with his wife in the Netherlands trying to avoid being hit by Dutchmen sliding around in their wooden shoes, he could do what he wished. What if he had always admired her and had just been waiting for a chance to get to know her better? Maybe his talk of favors owed to her father had just been a ploy.

As the dance ended, she curtsied deeply and creatively. He truly brings out the best in me, she thought. “Yes, please. I should like to meet quite a few people before the ball ends.” Bridget wanted to ask him to introduce her to the King, but considering that he had sent her father away, that was probably not a good idea. Not at this point, anyway.

The Toledos

"No ladies asked me to dance," he answered flatly. Was he upset about it? If so, he hid it well. "But then I did not give them much chance, preferring instead the conversations of gentlemen."

Esteban was a fine dancer, well taught but not especially accomplished. His moves were reserved as if it was well choreographed exercised. Sophia knew that he enjoyed dancing, but he had no real passion for it. He preferred more serious things. Tonight he had more reason to be reserved because he was trying to rehabilitate his wife's passionate reputation. A serious dance would convey a serious demeanor. He did not want to give credence to any thoughts that Sophia was carefree and undisciplined. She would be a target for unscrupulous men in the latter case, or so he imagined.

He offered a brief smile and a compliment at the end. "Did you enjoy yourself?"

Bucky & Davina

"Achievements? Surely not breaking off a tooth on a ring in a piece of cake is not an achievement," Buckingham joked with a grin, before they parted for the dance.

The duke was always a grand dance partner when it suited him to dance. Mistress Wellesley would surely have some attention for her last two partners, and Buckingham felt he'd a hand in the King being pliable. There was no better way to end the evening than with the two finest gentlemen of the kingdom. Nobody would call York fine although quite royal.

There was, of course, ample display of his long legs and shapely calves, but he made an artful partner in showing off his lady.

When the dance ended, the duke finally answered her previous question, "The same ruse rarely works twice, Mistress Wellesley. That is beyond even my skill."

Well it rarely worked twice with the same participants and within the same few months.

"My royal master is as he is, I have simply known His Majesty longest," Buckingham added, with a merry and unreadable smile. He surely seemed to be about little other than merry making that evening.

The Toledos

Sophia wasn't surprised that no ladies had asked him to dance. He was not bad-looking, but he was definitely not the most approachable gentleman at court. One day, maybe he would discover that there was more to life than politics. If he was more affectionate and fun to be around, she might not be considering cheating on him with the intriguing Lord Arundel. Only her love for Juan had kept her from straying so far. She didn't believe that there was any reason to be faithful to a man who neglected her so.

She knew Esteban's style, having danced with him once before. Unlike that previous occasion, she did not add any flirtatious flourishes to the steps. Before they were married, she'd had to pretend she was besotted with him so that her guardian would agree to let them wed. Her dancing had reflected that feigned infatuation.

Tonight she was playing the abandoned and unwanted wife, and she danced more sedately than she had with her other partners this evening. Her lack of enthusiasm would hopefully be noticed, particularly by the Earl of Arundel.

No matter how much Esteban tried to play it down, Sophia was carefree and undisciplined. Most sixteen-year-old girls were. If she pleased him with this dance, maybe he would start to trust her again, which would mean she would be able to get away with more mischief when his back was turned.

As the music faded away, Sophia curtsied serenely. “I always enjoy dancing with you,” she replied with a sweet smile. “The ball will end soon, will it not? Is there anyone else you would like to introduce me to?”

If the ball was ending and he had no other plans, she would suggest that they make their way over to Anna and prepare the Queen's gift. Lord Maldon and his sister would be joining them eventually, if they were not already waiting for them.

{OOC: Take them back to the main thread?}

Bucky & Davina

She had no fear of making a mistake with him. He was, as always, in complete control. That he had taken her meaning she thinks but then said nothing more.

The partnered well and she was glad that her own attire and her lover's jewelery only added to the picture.

She offered her curtsey then placed her hand upon his arm as they left the floor his remark making her aware that he had indeed knew what she meant. She gave him a look for a moment her expression assessing his then smiled.

"I think you might be correct Your Grace - about His Majesty I mean. And it is as you say for to try what did not work the first time again could well result in something other that what was planned."

She meant Nicolette and her latest attempt to yet again attrack the King. But if the Duke was now supporting rather than hindering that changed everything.

Why was this of such interest to her? As they retraced their steps that would take them back to where they had last been Davina looked ahead her eyes seeking and finding the Company and then moved to Nicolette. Was it possible that she was jealous - Never!

• 1 month later...

Douglas and Julianna

The last dance was a lively one, and Douglas approached it with energy and enthusiasm. He was lively with an athlete's grace, if not particularly refined in his technique. He was certainly no slouch.

The trick of course was to use that energy and grace in such a way that it complimented, nay enhanced, one's partner's movements, and drew attention to her. A really good couple stood out together, enthusiasm for each other showed itself in energy in the dance, and he was certainly enthusiastic for her.

As the music wound down the couples drew apart, in his case with a show of reluctance, and the gentlemen bowed to the ladies. He applauded politely, though the grin on his face was a long way from polite as he offered Julianna his arm again.

Douglas and Juliana

Juliana had not been jesting when she had said that one could tell a lot about a gentleman by the way he danced. Lord Dundarg was enthusiastic and lively, performing the steps with a casual grace that was quite delightful. Her style was more regal, but his enthusiasm was contagious and she found her dancing as energetically as he. When the steps brought them together, she either smiled saucily or winked at him before twirling away.

It was refreshing to dance with a partner she didn't have to look down on. So far, she had met two tall intriguing gentlemen, although she had not danced with Lord Chatham. The pretend princess thought she and Lord Dundarg complemented each other perfectly and that boded well for other, more intimate activities they might engage in.

As the music faded away, her hand brushed teasingly against his as they drew apart. She curtsied deeply, giving him a good view of her cleavage. His grin sent a jolt of electricity hurtling down her spine and when he offered her his arm, she took it, letting him lead her back through the crowd.

continued in main thread ...

Archived