JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Carnival Comes To Town | Monday, September 19th, late afternoon

Aria

Anticipation began to fill the air at the first faint beat of the drums.

Groups of excited children ran through the streets while their parents and other adults emerged from houses and shops or hung out of open windows. As the drumming became louder, other instruments could be heard playing a lively tune. People began to line the street eager for a look at the approaching caravan. A few enterprising individuals moved through the crowd, selling drinks and snacks to the observers.

Louder and louder the music grew until the first carriage could be seen in the distance. People started cheering. The procession kept moving and soon the street was full of brightly painted wagons and carriages trundling through town. The horses pulling them were adorned in blankets of vivid hues and pranced in time to the music, as did the two elephants with colorfully-dressed riders sitting on top of them.

The wagons and carriages themselves promoted their acts in paintings and words … funambulists, knife throwers, contortionists, fortune telling, and much more. Some wagons featured cages containing exotic animals such as lions, tigers, crocodiles, zebras, ostriches, and bears.

Performers tumbled, juggled, breathed fire, walked on stilts, and otherwise entertained the crowd. Two men walked around with long snakes around their necks. Monkeys scampered about, making everyone laugh. A magician pulled items seemingly out of thin air and handed them to lucky onlookers. Everywhere one looked, something amazing was going on and it seemed as if the world was suddenly full of wonder and magic.

The Beverley's

Everyone had known a carnival was going to arrive in Windsor, the fete was near as anticipated as the Christening.  Mary had of course asked her Lord Husband if they might go to watch it arriving together.  Schedules needed to be arranged of course, Mary happened to have a few points in her favour recently so that Her Majesty was happy to agree.  

Having dressed into an emerald green riding habit, Mary now sat atop her horse (it had a been a wedding present from her new family, a gelding from the Brooke stables) the raised position provided an excellent view of the Carnivals arrival - first it was the approaching music they heard, though quickly enough a pair of giant creatures were visible.  Mary had never seen one of these lumberoous beasts in person, but knew what they were upon account of tapestries that often featured them.

"Oh Beverly, the elephants might frighten the horses!" she moved her mount, it's hooves thudding upon the roadside turf, to be nearer to him.  She appeared rather worried herself.  

• 1 month later...

John Palliser

He'd ridden out a'purpose to get an early look at what was coming into town. It would seem that an entire performance was being acted out upon the road below. There seemed to be many that had shared his idea so he moved his horse a bit off to one side but did not expect anything to happen. Yes it was a noisy cornucopia of people and animals designed to attract as much attention as possible so that come opening day it would be well attended. He'd seen these thing in own Country but not to this extent - the English here did indeed seem to do things on a grander scale. He saw that Lord Beverley had somehow managed to escape the Castle chaos and had to admire that Gentleman's handling of those disgruntled courtiers and their housing problems. Thankfully he was not one of them. Indeed he had been somewhat surprised to find himself occupying what must be a prime location. 

He leaned forward to get a better view his mind busy with where to take Anne Elizabeth and what would be the first viewed  ......

Beverley did not need an excuse to make his schedule work to watch the arrival of the carnival with his lady wife. He merely put it down as one of his duties to see such a thing did not overly disrupt the town or, by extension, court being at the castle. It was carnival reconnaissance to the viscount and a good reason to spend time on a horse with Mary.

He also raised both eyebrows at the sight of the elephants, never have seen such a thing, but he was not worried about the horses. 

"Come nearer to me, but do not worry. It is my experience that the bigger the animal the less excitable it is, and they could hardly travel with their elephants if they were rampageous, dangerous creatures. The larger the horse, the calmer it tends to be, aside from those full-blooded Arabs."

Fleet did not seem much bothered at all, but nothing had ever seemed to bother Fleet. He was mild until it was time to race. Then his personality and demeanor was deceptive, because he liked to be at the front of the field as much his master.

"And most horses take cues from their fellows, and Fleet should convey that there's no danger by his steadiness."

As an errant through crossed his mind, he said, "I wonder what it would be like to ride an elephant..."

• 1 month later...

Mary needed no encouragement to move her horse nearer to Beverly's, while her husbands words were as reassuring as his presence.  "Well that does make sense, though I'd never thought of size as an indicator of speed before. But now you make me think of the buzzy bees so small and how they dart about." Bees being the opposite of Elephants to her mind.

And the more they could see of these two elephants indicated they were lumberous creatures indeed.

Idly Beverly wondered what it might be like to ride one.  This cause Mary to smile, "We ought to see if rides are available." she paused, and then added the caution, "But promise you shall not want to try racing them."   

• 2 weeks later...

"Indicative of temperament too, for there must be a reason for the sentiment of "gentle giant" ascribed to some animals and even people," Beverley said. 

At Mary's statement about seeing if rides were available, Beverley raised an eyebrow at her, intrigued with her suggested readiness to participate given that she hadn't specified a ride for him and the use of we!

"I will heartily so promise you. I prefer only horses for the racing, though I would go along for a yacht or ship race too."  With a grin, he then added, "So we should ask, do you not think? Would you ride an elephant with me, darling wife? It would seem rather daring and sure to garner us much attention from courtiers." Such notice and attention was a premium currency at court. "Surely the people in the carnival ride them, so I'd imagine the animals are used to it? It is worth an ask, though I would not wish you in any danger; if it is safe, I heartily think you should ride one with me," he declared gaily. 

"Your brother, Arthur, would be so very jealous. It is good his brother has arrived from school, for I think he's been much missed. The pair is used to having each other for entertainments and harassments." And trouble, but such was the way of youth. Herbert had matured some with university and the royal society, but he was still a youth, and Beverley would wager got up to all manner of things at school.

While his wife was terrified of small and darting mice, and not really so keen to be near bees - she was not unadventurous, and had youthful spirit.  She could hold her own in a horseback race (there even an ongoing tally between Anne and herself in that regard), she had climbed to the top of the towers at Maidstone unassisted, and more recently had lost reserve in her performance of marital duties.

Riding an elephant though, was admittedly another league - but while sat safely upon her dependable horse it was easy enough to imagine the doing of.  "Ooh I would love to do that, my charming Lord Husband." she glowed happily. 

"I know it's not really very Christian to want everyone to look upwards with admiration, but, well, that would feel rather wonderful don’t you think?"  

Beverley supposed right that Arthur would be miffed to have missed the chance, "And just imagine how round the nephews eyes shall be when you recount the tale." Anne's boys idolised Beverley, "I wonder if they shall have a sketch artist in the troop, so the sight might be captured upon paper, as proof.  That would be worth paying a whole shilling for, I think."

A pause, "Ooh, and imagine then if the image it then made it into the London Gazette... what would our headline be?"  

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley thought about her assertion that it was not the most Christian to wish to be admired. Then he tried to reconcile all of it in his mind to be permissible.

"Very true, one must have a Christian humility; however, God has placed us in position to safeguard those under us, and that is best done from secure position. Admiration and notice is one way to such a secure position, and there is little wrong with, erm, serving well from one's place in life." He grinned and then added, "Regardless, such admiration and notoriety is a staple and necessity of court life. Our parents have both commanded us to do well and taught us all these lessons, so it would be disgraceful not to heed them, do you not think?"

He was very good at making excuses for what he wished to do and always had been.

"It would be a tale to tell. We shall have to try to make arrangements before anyone else thinks of it so long as it is safe. I would not risk you for any notoriety or admiration, dear wife."

As to the headline, he said, "What do you think the headline should be? You are better at such things than I?

Modesty and humility are cornerstones of a good Christian upbringing – this Mary knew, having been scolded by her Mother at an early age for admiring herself too long in the mirror!  (It had mostly been the pretty new dress that was to blame). 

However her husband saw the world though a larger view.

Mary blinked, it was a lot to absorb, not a simple black and white but shades to the correctness to be understood.  “Hmm… then the admired position we might achieve, would allow those we tend to to feel greater confidence?” She asked to check if she understood correctly. “And would also honour our parents for their hard work.”

While secretly, Mary just wanted to see Frances Cavandish surprised and jealous of her sitting with her husband atop an Elephant!

“Oh yes, we must send a messenger this afternoon, I think.” She nodded, though she also secretly thought that nobody else in Windsor would even imagine such a thing.

Passing her question back to her, Mary eyes widened as she tried to conjure headlines. “The Daring Beverley’s amaze crowds at Windsor?” which might have sounded bolder if not said in a questioning tone.

• 3 weeks later...

Beverley was something of a master of fitting the narrative to the scenario and still coming out with some justification for why some action should be seen as acceptable, if not righteous. He had been employing such tactics on Brooke for some long time, who oft told Beverley off for it. In this instance, though, there was truth to the matter. 

Had he known her thoughts on Frances Cavendish, he might have added more things for the girl to be jealous about in comparison to his lady wife. Including that Beverley had chosen Mary far and above Lady Frances. Being married first, and to the heir of an old, wealthy earldom was no small thing either. He would have thought himself quite better than an elephant in that regard. 

"Yes, I completely agree. I will send someone down to make the arrangements once we return to the castle." His eyes then widened with thought. "Lord Basildon owns papers, perhaps we could use your relation to convince him to add to the potential headlines."

"Oh there is I fine idea, and if he hesitates, then I shall just ask Lisa.  Did you know that Lisa has even ridden through the night with a story sometimes. They are really quite a daring couple, and should surely approve of our launch into perilous activity. "  Mary thought highly of Lisa, though their natures were very different.  Mary wouldn't have even imagined, let alone done, disguising as a lord to hang out with the Dukes up to mischief for instance.

"But mostly as long as it is actually safe Beverly." which was a proviso she thought he would also be thinking. They were not fools after all!  

"Ah. Do you think we dare wait till after the carnival has entirely arrived though my darling. What if someone else thinks of it, and then beats us to it?  Perhaps we can beckon one of the carnival folk over, and arrange it now?" 

"Truly? Egads, and traveling the roads at night is very dangerous, even for a gentleman armed. There are thieves in the wood and those who would love to hold others for ransom. I would never risk you in such a way," he said, gallantly.

That Lisa was capable was a different matter. A man of Basildon's power and coin had an infinite number of persons to use for such things. 

"Yes, of course, only if it is safe."

Her take on matters was that they should see to it right away.

"Let us ride down there now and see if we can get someone's attention. I do have some coin on me right now to entice but not a great amount. I am sure to a performer it is considerable, but I am also the representative of Windsor as it is my master's domain and I am his aide and steward. That could be leveraged. All of this needs to have his assent, and I could make trouble for that and the whole affair if not appeased." He smiled. "Not that I would, but they do not know that. I can ask to speak to whomever is in charge."

He guided Fleet down the path and closer to where it seemed the performers were heading to set up and hailed someone who was dressed well-enough to seem helpful to getting him the organizer of this affair. 

"I say, my good man, a moment if you please," he called with a wave and a friendly smile. Once having gained attention, he said, "I am Lord Beverley, Aide and Steward to His Highness the Duke of Cumberland who presides over Windsor. I wish to have a few words with the master of this carnival if you would have someone get him for me." 

After her meeting this morning, Cat had returned to the house she shared with her sisters and taken a nap.  It was glorious.  Yes, there were still issues to be attended, but for the first time in what felt like forever, she was able to get some sleep.  

So, leaving Fiona and Nessie at home with Agnes and most of the guards, Cat snagged Shona and Aileen for an outing for them.  The trio walked to where the parade was progressing.  She noted the monkeys darting around and wondered at the safety of them.  Well, they were not her monkeys and nor was it her circus to need to worry about.  "Look.  What do you think about that?," she asked the younger MacBains in general, pointing at one of the painted wagons.

The Beverleys approaching a well-dressed man

Alexander raised his hand, silently ordering the wagon to stop before the horses veered off to prevent from hitting the wagon in front of them. That particular driver always seemed to be in a hurry and had caused accidents before. The young man had no idea why his father didn’t fire him. It wouldn’t be difficult to replace him. At every town they stopped it, there were people who wanted to run away with the circus.

He heard the cultured voice before he saw the finely attired couple riding toward him on fancy horses. Nobles, of course. He had warned his father to change their itinerary when they had learned that the court was going to be in Windsor at the same time they were. No doubt these two had already found something to complain about.

Alexander smiled, but did not bow.   He was twenty-two years old, a  handsome and charismatic fellow who was training as his father’s eventual successor. When he wasn’t working, he was entertaining the girls who flocked around him at every destination. Though he expected the nobles to cause trouble for the Carnival, he still hoped to charm a young nobleman or two.

“You will find Master Kinsley in his office. It's a black tent in the far corner of the field just outside of town where we are setting up. Ride in the direction that the wagons are taking and you can’t miss it.”

(OOC:  Continued here since it takes place in a different location.)

Cat, Shona, and Aileen

Aileen’s head whipped this way and that as she tried to watch all the performers at once. How exciting this Carnival was going to be!  Shona observed the procession in her quiet way and stepped back when one of the prancing monkeys came too close.

The wagon Cat pointed out was painted with images of puppet shows and theatrical performances. “We’ll finally get to go to a play!” Aileen exclaimed. She envied Cat and Fiona for being able to go to the theatre. Next season Shona would have that privilege as well. Her own debut seemed so far away.

Shona’s attention was caught by a man walking on stilts. “How does he do that?” she asked. “It must be fun to be so high up that you can look down on everything else.”

“Cat, what are those?” Aileen asked, pointing to a pair of large creatures (llamas) that looked like camels with wool. “Are they some kind of sheep?”

The Beverleys

"Lisa would probably just 'dispatch' any brigands that cross her path." Mary replied boldly, while her heart thought it sounded as awful as Beverly did.  After a pause she added, "Perhaps her husband had body guards sent with her also, it just never sounds that way to hear Lisa talk of it....  I am glad you don’t expect such heroics from me my darling. I am quite content enough with the gentler challenges I face in Her Majesties household."

It was then that she revealed greater excitement by asking Beverly if he could set plans in place immediately - and he, with reasoning, agreed deciding that he had sufficient sway to make such a request.  "Why would they object, especially when the lands they will set up on are probably under Cumberland’s oversight." Mary tentatively agreed.  

Beverly was a man of deed, and moved to action upon her request, while Mary moved her horse to follow after him just a little behind. A small smile settled on her face as she listened to her husband and the laborers exchange… to her mind his actions was testament of her husbands affection for her. 

“A black tent is rather unusual.” She commented to Beverly, “I do not imagine he gets many visitors.”

Cat, Shona and Aileen

The excitement in Aileen's voice amused Cat.  "Indeed.  We shall have to make certain to take in a performance or two," she replied to the youngest MacBain.  These performances would be much less bawdy than the ones performed before the Court.  Or just for the King and his friend's delight.  She wondered if they would have men performing the female parts.  Women had only been allowed on the stage for a decade or two and perhaps traveling performers wouldn't hold to the new ways.

Shona's comment on the stilt walkers had Cat glancing upwards.  She wasn't certain, but she had a feeling the men up there enjoyed their view very much where women were concerned.  They could peer right down...  "It is quite remarkable, but as a mother, the thought running through my mind is 'how do they get down without breaking their necks?'," she said.  "Don't get any ideas about running off to join them so you can try that out."  She very much doubted her quiet, calm sister would even consider such a thing, so she nudged her with a smile.  

Excitable Aileen called her attention to some creatures that looked like someone had taken a sheep and drawn it's neck out to strange proportions.  But, the thought that came out of her mouth was, "Imagine the amount of wool could be gathered from such beasties.  We'd practically double the production."  She wondered how they would fare in Scotland.

Edited by Catriona MacGregor
Homonym issue

“I want to see them all!” Aileen was practically jumping up and down. “We will need to go every day! Can we, Cat? Please?”

Shona looked over at her older sister, surprised that she would think she would attempt to do something so dangerous. Then she nudged her, and she knew that Cat was only joking. “I’m more curious about how the stilts are made and who came up with idea in the first place. It probably takes a lot of training to learn how to walk on them.”

The llamas caught both girls’ attention. “We should send some to Dougie too,” Shona remarked.

“I want one as a pet!” Aileen declared. “I could ride it like a horse.”

Shona sighed. “That would look really silly, Aileen.”

“No it wouldn’t. Everyone would envy me and want one too.”

A tumbler performed a series of back handsprings that ended in a back flip right in front of them. “I wonder if that feels like flying,” Shona mused.

• 1 month later...

Cat had to chuckle at Shona's expression to her teasing.  Her little sister was so serious and it was delightful, but not all the time.  "I would imagine it would involve quite a few mattresses for falls or you'd be breaking bones frequently," she replied to her question of how much training it would require.  "Don't get any ideas for testing out the theory."

Then the younger MacBains got to discussing riding one of the long-necked sheep.  "I think you should stick to riding horses," she said, trying very hard to keep any negative reaction from showing on her fact, but the idea of noble ladies riding large sheep things was just beyond her.  

She had to admit to wondering the same.  Cat called out towards the tumberl, "Excuse me?  Might we ask a question?"

Shona was beginning to take a quiet interest in the world outside of her beloved books. She was curious about the people who inhabited it as well, and the performers fascinated her. How, she wondered, had they become involved in carnival acts? Were they born into it, as she had been born into the nobility, or had they chosen the life for themselves when they grew up? Someday, she wanted to experience new things, though nothing as dangerous as stilt-walking and tumbling.

She knew Cat was teasing her now and understood that she would never try to walk on stilts. Fiona probably would, but Shona was nothing like Fiona and didn’t want to be. Both girls were a bit disappointed that she’d had to stay at home, but someone was trying to kill her and might strike if she left the safety of their rented house. It was more peaceful without her, but she was their sister and they loved her, no matter how difficult she could be.

“But it would be so much fun!” Aileen protested, determined to have a tall long-necked sheep as a pet.

The tumbler, a slender young man in his late teens, smiled at the lavishly-dressed lady who had addressed him. “Of course.” His theatrical bow turned into a front walkover. “What would you like to know?”