JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

12 Days of Christmas Degustation | Evening, 27th December- Xmas 1677

Guest Cèilidh

Ellen and The Two Gentlemen

She kept her half smile as she accepted the Salute from Chichester and then the offered chair spreading her skirts as she sat. The other Gentleman it seemed was more than ready to offer explinations and even it seemed to flatter his daughter.

"I should be happy to provide that and as to his joining, well, he will be deep in discussions I do think with others' that share like mind. But mayhap before we depart that can be done. As to anything further You will have to ensure that."

Her Father was sharp-minded and well able to sniff out any foolishness or schemes she knew and oft times he had asked her opinion and this Gentleman, while over-eager, seemed to be of a business mind.

Her gaze went back to the Earl and widened a bit as he spoke of where he had been and then came the question of how they knew the other.

"I came upon Lord Chichester by pure chance and I am afraid I interupted his painting. I am rather out-spoken at times and so our ... differences of thought clashed .... And I departed leaving behind a bad impression."

She looked to her right her eyes meeting his once again

"I do hope that you have forgiven me My Lord as I have You. So much can be blamed on the Hot Sun of Summer do you not agree? Our paths did not cross again till now. I am glad that you have kept well. I have not been to the Italy's - tis why so many of my sex envy yours in secret - this advantage to Travel."

"Do You still Paint?"

She asked in the casual tone of conversation one used for such occasions. Yet her mind wresteled with the thought that he might well indeed still feel the same about her and his asking her to join was only pure Politeness.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, well that may explain it! What a fool, Edmund, he said to himself - fancying high drama in looks and glances. Nothing, seemingly, but a difference of opinion over art.

He turned to the Earl, “Good grief, my Lord, I do not recall you saying you turned your hand to painting yourself! If you had I fear I must have forgotten, my apologies! I knew you were an avid collector but I did not think you entered the genre yourself!” He turned to the lady, “Why, he must surely be hiding his light under a bushel. I already have, in my mind, the Earl here down as an arbiter of taste so I would be keen to see examples of his work.”

There was still something, he sensed. The truth but perhaps not the whole truth. The Earl was engaged in polishing a tableknife with the diligence of a butler and the young lady was looking at his expectantly. A pregnant look, full of more meaning than a simple disagreement over painting. Suddenly, Edmund felt highly awkward and very much aware of his own new-ness to the scene. He may well be babbling, but it was a fault of his when he felt nervous.

“Yet painting is such a thing that disagreements can flare up and really mean very little so I am sure there must be no animosity there. Now, I always am impressed with anyone who can turn their hand to an art at all, be it an instrument or painting. Credit where credit is due! And in any event one cannot be blamed for what one does in Summer. The heat tends to me make fractious and I dare say it does for others too. Not that it ever gets too hot up in Northumberland. We constitute it a positively balmly day if it grows warm enough to melt ice! Yes, yes – my Lord, you must tell us more of your travels!”

George inwardly winced at Edmunds phrase 'turned your hand to painting'; sounded like some dime-a-dozen watercolourist. "Did I fail to mention it?" George gave a glib smile, "Perhaps I tire of the requests for portraits to be painted."

It might be different if someone deliberately sought him out as an artist, not it had never happened like that. He'd simply mentioned his passion for arts, and the dimwit he spoke would have the 'clever idea' that he paint a portrait of them. George had lost tolerance for those requests - the next person who asked him was likely to get the force of the Earls anger in their ear.

Ellen had seen the force of George's anger - and George was embarrassed of that.

And then the young woman was apologising, while Edmund became a peacekeeper chattering inanely with heroic intent. George looked at Ellen a time, and then interrupting Edmund mid sentence, "I am pleased that we may pick up our acquaintance in cooler clime." He gave a nod that held his own unspoken apology, and setting the buffed knife down at her table placing, took up the other sitting there and buffed it for himself.

Edmund showed his worth immeasurably, however futile he felt himself to be, his assistance eased what might have otherwise be a far more difficult situation. George was pleased to take up the offer of alternative topic then, "Italy, well yes. I designed a set of gates, as I believe I mentioned, Lord Torrington?" his smile to the man turned to include Ellen also, "Intent towards the Dulwich Institute when they at length arrive. My foster family in Florence, the family I boarded with as for many a year as a youth, have an iron works. Fascinating to watch. Perchance have either of you ever seen molten metal?"

John and Lucinda

“Ahh..." the youth turned around to select a key from the rack. As he did so Lucinda played innocent for a moment. The key was set solidly on the desk in front of the gentleman. Lucinda resumed tugging at undone the ribbon.

"I just need your name, and how many days you shall be staying, sir." He drew out his registry book onto the counter. This was where he'd get the guests details, and lastly signature.

Snatching up the key Lucinda laughed and begun up the stairs, "Oh hurry darling, or I shall start without you!"

The staff member eyes shot up at the Gentleman. It was like that was it? "Or, the hourly rate is ten shillings, cash up front, no questions." he uttered, ready to put the book away. Though this discretion was hardly relevant considering the roomful of patrons that might so easily watch on the Earl&Countess departure. Reckless passions had John making no effort towards secrecy, while Lucinda rather enjoyed the scandal.

The other Gentleman prattled on full of topics and she was glad of it for it requird little of her own contributions.

Lord Chichester interjected quietly his words and small nod she took as apology then set the polished knife at her place before he took up another. It was a small gesture but full of meaning.

The conversation shifted back to Italy and Ellen learned of the "Dulwich Institute" and she surmised it must have something to do with Art. Intrigued she asked him

"Will these gates be a private thing Lord Chichester or may any view them? I should like to see them espeially as they are made in Italy. You are fortunate in many ways My Lord to have so many that care about you."

"Molten metal? Well, I have seen the blacksmiths pour into molds that fiery liquid, is that the same thing?"

Johan and Lucinda

John leaned towards Lucinda just slightly, his eyes drawn. He snapped back at a shuffle of feet (a false alarm), and then pointedly ignoring her, as if daring her to do more.

John smiled. Her eagerness was flattering and… healing in a way, but his thoughts were drawn quickly. Could she start without me? John was curious how that worked. His imagination bended in curious and exciting ways. John tossed the lad half a guinea, expecting that would resolve the issue, and followed her up.

If Lucinda moved too quickly, she would outpace John entirely and end up in the room before he was in the hallway.

Ellen and the Two Gentlemen

“Aye, I have no doubt that the gates will be a thing of great beauty – gate beauty, one might say,” and chuckled at his own terrible pun.

He finished his glass with a deep and contented sigh, beckoning a servitor for a refresher. “Much needed at this time of year certainly. But, no, to be sure although I have the disadvantage of not having gone yet, I have seen etchings and paintings of some of the great artistic wonders of the Italian Renaissance. St Peters, I always think, would be a wonderful place to visit, irregardless of one’s affiliation to one Church or another. But, small steps, eh? I hear of the wonders the French King is working at present – although I’m sure it is most unpatriotic to say so! It is my hope to try and trip across the Channel at some stage and cultivate a few ideas for improving our lot up North – or starting something afresh in the more congenial South.”

He set his refilled glass down.

“Now, molten metal is something I have seen aplenty! A lot of the North is a terrifying landscape in some places – most especially the great forge cities such as Sheffield. You can see them from piles off – huge clouds of acrid black coal smoke drifting into the sky like Moses’ column in the wilderness. As you get closer you see an almost Hellish scene – forges belching fire – reds, golds, oranges. And the heat! Men stripped half naked and coloured like demons in the soot and dirt. Then, when the pig iron is ready, the let open the great sluices into what they call a sow – on account of it having little molds off the main one, like piglets sucking at a teat. The liquid metal bursts out – it’s all very fascinating in its own bizarre way. My father, rest his soul, did a lot of business with some of the Yorkshire forges, supplying them with coal to feed these ravenous industrial beasts. As a boy I would accompany him to learn the ropes, as he said. The future is there, I am sure, in those Hellish contraptions. However, it is amazing that such things of beauty can be created out of such unprepossessing dirty lumps of iron and metal as eventually come out of the furnaces.”

John and Lucinda

The extra half a shilling must have been a tip; the staff member flashed a smile then hurried back to his boiling pot.

Lucinda was barely at first landing, dawdling for him to catch up, dragging her fingers along the balustrade...

John and Lucinda

John let out a chuckle. He couldn't run up the stairs to chase her but he came up after her with a look that made it clear he intended to catch her... eventually.

Ellen and the Two Gentlemen

George's lips twisted and he chuckled, "I love a good pun, though that doesn't actually qualify." He was coming to enjoy Edmunds company more and more, when one looked past his nervous excitement he was a chap with some substance.

Ellen wordlessly accepted the knife, and George drew a sense that peace was thus made.

"Indeed they shall be on display at the entrance. You shall see them when you attend the next open day I expect." his first open day did not attract the number that he had hoped, but he was not going to mention that to present company. 'From small things... etc etc etc.'

Edmund found the topic of molten metal inspiring. "That really ''sparked' you up." the Earl waggled eyebrows with his own feeble pun. "The North sounds a scene from Hades, something fit for the brush of Hieronymus Bosch." the artist in George could picture those half clad bodies gleaming with sweat, glistening red from reflected fire, and felt inspired.

"And the fearsome danger of the heat is enthralling of itself." George agreed, a light in his eyes as he looked across at Edmund.

She was fascinated by their inter-play.

She had no brothers so had no knowledge of how topics were tossed back and forth much as in a game of Tennis. Her gaze lingered on George as he spoke his passion for the subject of 'Art' clear making her smile a bit then her gaze moved across to the other Gentleman and there too she had to smile as his thoughts were revealed.

She sipped from her glass content to let the words flow about her, a warm little glow nestled in her heart, which bathed her cheeks in a pale flush that had northing to do with the ever increasing heat of the room as more found their way inside.

She knew that at some point they would draw her back into the conversation.

Messages?

A man in a camel coat entered the Red Lion and glanced towards the tap room where he noticed some manner of formal evening was going on. He was here for another purpose, and moved to the untended counter and pinged the bell.

Arthur Cadogan was a man in his fifties, with wrinkles lacking in quantity that made up for in their depth. His tufted eyebrows were flecked with a white strands, shaggy in contrast to his perfectly trimmed sideburns that were connected by a narrow line of hair running along the jawline, like a helmet strap under chin.

It was a woman who came out of the door yonder this time, a broad smile upon her face, brush of flour on cheek. "Good evening," he greeted, then asked "have you any messages for me?"

OOC: Apologies for the delay in posting everyone, real life attacked. Lets continue.

Tap Room

Golightly - or 'Sinterklaas' as Lucinda had dubbed him, for certainly there were two generous streaks of white in Golightly’s beard, his bushy eyebrows salt-and-pepper - busilly ladelled hot cider redolent with cinnamon, cloves and exotic orange into pewter tankards, poured warm sack mead spiced with allspice and cardamom into delicate glasses, and sent through to the kitchen for cups of rich, creamy eggnog whipped with nutmeg and rum from the East Indies.

The Foyer

The older gent in the foyer startled the maid who had been rushing from the kitchen to the store room for more flour when she caught sight of him and gave a little yelp. "We, we're not open for general business tonight sir." She replied, casting about for some sort of help. "Just a moment, I'll git somebody for you." She promised, and dashed off.

A few moments later the tall, lanky form of Joshua Golightly, eldest son of the proprietor and usual maitre d' appeared. "Can I help you?" He asked. "I'm afraid we're closed for a private function."

Tap Room - Twelve Drummers Drumming, Eleven Pipers Piping

As those gathered conversed and drank and warmed themselves by the fire, a door opened and two maids in leaf-green dresses with crowns of holly entered, each bearing a platter of tasty pastry treats.

Long 'pipes' of flaky pastry proved to be rolled around cheese and toasted nuts, baked so that the pastry was crisp but the cheese flowed once bitten into. Round 'drums' contained a creamy mixture of mushrooms and venison, with a definite hint of port and pepper.

All were small morsels, finger food, and a young lad with brown hair and a distinct resemblance to the barkeep entered and set out discrete bowls of lemon water and cloths for cleaning the fingers.

Entre Act – James Winchester – Tap Room

Noni had begged off that evening, citing a pub as not really her scene and James had to admit that he had no idea who was going to be there. It might be all men, which would be boring for her. On the other hand, with the promise of an entire degustation of Mrs Golightly’s cooking, you couldn’t have kept him away with a big stick.

Looking festive in a white brocade frock coat and fir-tree green waistcoat and breeches, James entered the Red Lion and followed the noise, moving past the young man serving the older fellow at reception, and into the warmth and light of the Tap Room.

It was all that James could do not to exclaim and interrupt the conversation in an un-gentlemanly fashion, when he saw who was amongst the festive company in the Red Lion’s Tap Room. None other than George Hardwick himself. He had missed his old friend, been deeply disappointed when he had not been present at the Ball. But now, here he was, in the very flesh.

But he was also deeply engrossed in a conversation with another fellow, a lady in their company. So rather than interrupt, James flashed a smile and tugged his forelock in George’s direction, before heading towards the bar and obtaining for himself an eggnog and little pastry stick-thing. As he bit into the pastry twist and tasted the melted cheese, what few cares James Winchester had seemed to drop from his shoulders. Good food, good drink and at least one good friend; it would no doubt prove a most enjoyable evening.

Douglas arriving with Fiona

The big Scotsman appeared in the doorway, shaking snow from his cloak and stamping it from his boots. The cloak was heavy wool with a wolf’s fur across the shoulders; once removed it revealed an outfit not unlike his Life Guard’s uniform, but black and silver instead of red and gold.

On his arm came his second sister, Fiona MacBain, Viscountess Lochend, a beautiful figure as he’d told her on the coach ride over. She made a pretty accessory, though he had other hopes for her tonght, as he suspected that she did herself.

“Haes young Laird Osborne arrivit yet?”* He asked the fellow behind the desk when there was a break in the conversation, hopeful that he might have. Douglas couldn’t decide whether he hoped Bridgit had changed her mind and come, or decided not to. Her presence could be enjoyable or a royal pain, given the fact that she and Fiona had looked daggers at each other earlier. Best perhaps that she had not.

Torrington, Chichester and Ellen

Edmund chortled, then beat his hand gently on the tabletop. "Aye, a duel of terrible quips, what could be more festive! You must be honoured, Madam," he said, addressing the young lady, "to watch such a spectacle of wit! Next stop, the theatre!"

"A Northern Hades, quite right, but one shouldn't do down on where they are from! For every inch of Hades, we have two of the Elysian Fields. I am not sure whether either of you have ever had cause to stray so far North, beyond York, but I can recommend it - and of course, Torrington-Kirby, is ever at your disposal. Mile after mile of rolling heathland and moor. Quite the very opposite of outside here - one can go for hours without seeing a soul, save for a few dolorous and deep thinking sheep! There's an odd peace in it."

Edmund took another sip of his drink and set it down on the table. He noticed a man looking in their direction from across the room, making a motion of acquaintance to Lord Chichester. "A friend, my Lord? There is always room for more!" he said, moving his stool over to make more space, moving slightly closer to Ellen in the process.

"Well, Madame, you must excuse me - if I haven't already lost a good first impression with tortured jests and Northern musings. What are your plans for the rest of the festive season in London? One thing I have already found out is that there is no shortage of activity."

Ellen, Torrington, Chichester and inviting over Wentwood

Georges eyebrow rose at the claim, then with a cheerful bluster he claimed, "I can quite see my name up in lights, perhaps we'll put on a traveling show, 'Chichester and Torrington; the punniest men of Whitehall." he snickered of the nonsense.

While Ellen did not join in with any puns herself, he had the feeling that she was happy enough as spectator to the male jocose. Jocose that seemed to glamour the moment, so that their new friend offered his home to their respective visits.

George opened his mouth to reply, when yonder he saw a familiar figure arrived. Winchester! His smile broadened, even as James kept a polite distance with muted greeting, so as not to impose. How very like his modest friend.

However Torrington spotted James none the less, and with a look to George, suggested that they had found their fourth. "If you do not object Mistress Ellen? Doctor Winchester, more recently Sir James or Baron Wentwood, is as fine a company as you are ever likely to meet, and my oldest friend besides. I would be pleased to provide you with his introduction, that might only favor the night with portent." George first affirmed they were both agreeable, before looking back towards James, his own wish being plain enough.

Still, he could hardly wave him over like a waiter, for one it would be somewhat insolent, for another an energy had just infused Georges legs. "Excuse me a moment please, I shall be back anon!" he arose, and departed their company by but a few long strides.

A clasp of shoulder, a broad smile and clasp of hand. "So good to see you James. You must come and join our table, that is unless you have a company soon to arrive?" He drank in the sight of his friend, a welcome sight, did not seem to have changed one bit.

Ellen, Torrington, Chichester and inviting over Wentwood

There was something about a person new-come to London that either created a sense of embarrassment at the lack of refinements and social graces or one of enjoyment at the arrival's obvious pleasure in the City. For Ellen it was the latter.

She had been content to listen to the Baronet as he spoke with ease about his Home and twas obvious that he felt Pride as well and the invitation to visit was made it seemed unlikely that she would ever follow it through. But it was the pleasure of having received it that she would always remember.

He was perhaps abrupt in his manner and speech but still had a Gentleman's Manner so she could hadly take insult.

"You have nothing to worry about Sir for there is nothing I find offensive."

She quielty assured him adding a smile. He then moved a bit closed adding the rider that Lord Chichester had spied a friend and that there was room enough at table ....

She looked to George then as he touted his friends attributes saying that indeed she would welcome his addition which was true. It as not often that such opportunities came her way without the company of her father and it would be nice to try to expand her circle if she could - as far as a daughter of a man who had bought is Title would allow.

The Earl excused himself and she turned back to the Baronet to answer his last questions

"I have not made many plans I am afraid - we do not usually stay in Town for Christmas but this year is different as its a Christmas Court and as such my father will take the advantage any way he can. And what of you?"

Asked in return to fill the space until they were rejoined.

Torrington and Ellen

Edmund watched the Earl cross the room and warmly welcome the new arrival. Perhaps now might be an opportunity, afforded by the temporary absence, to see if he could find out a little more about the man who had been so kind and friendly since his arrival. I spat about painting could surely not be the reason for what he thought he had picked up on earlier.

For the moment, he set aside the young lady's question, determined to return to it in a moment.

"No, I must say, Mistress, that I have been most lucky in having met Lord Chichester so early in my time in London. A true gentleman as ever I believe I have yet met! Everything I had expected of a London gent, I think. I know we have touched upon it before, but I hope I am not intruding as it seems that the Earl and yourself have previous acquaintance and I would hate to be a gooseberry if there is something that is better said without my company present! You must excuse me if I am abrasive, I am just very new to town and have yet too much of the rustic about me! Grace comes with time and practice!"

He turned the subject slightly.

"Though one thing I must say is that, thus far, I have found London society most agreeable. Perhaps not a particularly funny anecdote but one which, I think, sums up you good people of London so well: Earlier I was taking a stroll this morning and I found myself outside Buckingham House, not of course that I knew what it was at that point, like a fool! Now, there am I, standing before the gates like some cow staring over a drystone wall, when one of the residents - Lord Kingston, the Duke of Buckingham's own nephew, sees me gawping and invites me in! I was hugely shocked! But such kindness and generosity! I find I like London very much."

"Now, you must excuse me, I digressed slightly! As for Christmas I am spending the period here, very much finding my feet like a new-born faun! My father has lately passed away and my mother has the company of my younger sisters and one of my two brothers has returned from his studies at Oxford to stay with her. Perhaps, in time, they will come down to join me here once I have established a Torrington foothold in the capital."

James and George

James hadn’t wanted to interrupt the conversation, so he’d busied himself with getting a drink and some food. He wouldn’t have thought anything of being waved over by George – friends could take such liberties – but as it was the Earl decided to come to him.

George’s firm hand clasp and clap on the shoulder were returned with enthusiasm, as was his smile. “It is good to see you too George.” The little man said sincerely. “Why, when I heard you hadn’t made it to court, I was quite distraught, but then the miserable weather has made travel difficult for many.” He commiserated. “I am greatly heartened to see that you made it.” His tone was earnest, the look from blue eyes direct; he’d missed his friend.

“I’d be delighted to join your little circle, if it would be no imposition.” He accepted gratefully. “I’m not expecting anyone; Noni begged off but I couldn’t stay away. You know how I favour Mrs Golightly’s cooking.” He shared a conspiratorial grin with George. Really, this just about made his season; suddenly his old friends were coming out of the woodwork, and the Earl of Chichester chiefmost amongst them.

James and George

Rationale'd to suit his desire, George enjoyed a shared moment with James. "Weather, ah yes, though it was inner clouds that were mine to conquer before a return." the Earl revealed with a smile in evidence, "the Outlook is for sunny skies and clearing."

It had truly been an age since they had gotten together. He had very fond memories of a court tour to remote island, where all manner of dramas had erupted, but besides all of that he'd discovered a real affinity with James. They had talked for hours of how they might fix all the woes of England, though in fact they had not, that joint desire had united his mind with his fellow

visionary.

“'My circle', heh heh, words I'd not have previously expected to ever hear. But yes, come, join us." he paused then asked, "You are staying out at Chelsea then?"

Ellen and Torrington

"It has been some months since I last saw Him, as I have alrady said, and no you are not intruding for tonight is meant for Everyone so do not think you are preventing any renewal of times lost between the Earl and myself."

It was true after all. They had made Peace and so perhaps going forward they might be able to establish a friendship beetween them - she hoped so.

"Abrassive? I find you most refreshing and London is a wonderous place I think and in time you will soon blend in as the rest ...."

"Buckingham? Truly? How Fortutious for you that Lord Kingston, whom I know, was there to smooth the path. I have herad it said the Duke is a Master of many things and his words can alter a person's very Life - tell me what was it like inside?"

She leaned a bit forward her hands clasped ike a schoolgirls on the tabletop as she waited to hear more. But he then went back to the other topic of activities squashing her hopes of hearing more about that residence that she was so curious about.

"I am sorry for your loss." She added quietly. "You are wise to have a plan before sending for them. Are you looking for a residence? If so I might be able to offer the name of a good agent who my Father has made use of."

Douglas and Fiona

Still preening from Douglas' compliment, Fiona scanned the room as she removed her fur cloak. Beneath it, she wore a muted purple gown with silver trim. It was not as fancy as the gowns she usually wore, but tonight she wanted to blend in rather than stand out. They were at an inn, after all. She was pleased that she wasn't the only lady there, although she didn't recognize the others. Fiona had feared that she would be the only woman in a roomful of men.

She held lightly to Douglas arm as he asked about Lord Osborne. He had better be here, she thought. He's the main reason I came. And to spend time with her charming brother without having to share him with her sisters. She didn't see the soldier that she had met at the ball, the one who had come on to her a bit too fast and then sent a note of apology. Fiona had hoped that he would be here as well. Then she would have had two handsome gentlemen to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Ellen and Torrington

Edmund clapped his hands and beamed a smile. "Now that I would be grateful for! That said, thus far in my stay I have done nothing but prevail upon peoples' kind recommendations - Lord Chichester's for a new manservant and now yours for a property agent. That is the only way one learns and I am most grateful for it so do, please, give me the name if you are able. Whilst I am very comfortable where I am now, a guest of the Court, I do long for a place to call mine - then, to my mind, I will metamorphose from 'visitor' to 'resident'!"

Edmund sensed that the young lady had been hoping for a little more on the topic of Buckingham. Well, who didn't like gossip? "Ah, yes - Lord Kingston is a jolly good fellow, if my senses are not off!"

He drummed his fingers on the tabletop. "Sadly, I fear I am not in the same property market as the good Duke. I believe Buckingham House is what one might refer to as an 'aspirational property'! I am sure our friend Lord Chichester must have seen equally grand things on his travels and perhaps you have yourself but, to my mind, I do not think I have seen the like for sheer sumptuous elegance. The Hallway alone would be enough to have left me quite amazed, what with all its gilding, marbles and art but the Library was another thing altogether! I am quite the book-lover so I was green with envy. Row after row of tomes bound in the most elegant leatherwork. Enough beautiful artwork in there to make a Cardinal of Rome envious, and that is probably not even a fraction of all that was in the House. It is really quite clear that the Duke is one of the greatest men in the realm and I am not sure who could well doubt it! The only thing which strikes me is how one can live amongst such splendour? Do you think that perhaps they have all got so used to it that they no longer notice? If it were me, even as a guest, I'd be forever worried I'd spill wine on a priceless sofa or scuff some irreplaceable fresco!"

"I shall ask my Father for his name then - I hope it will suffice for I cannot offer anything else other than to ask around amongst those I know. If you will provode me where I may send it?"

His descriptions were enough to satisfy the initial curiosity on her part.

"I have passed it often enough and wondered about what lay inside so Thank You! I suppose that if one is 'born' amongst such splendors that it becomes natural to them perhaps? I have oft times felt that way whenever my Father presented a new piece recently purchased or brought from some far off Land."

"My Mother would even turn the household servants away for fear of breakage at times and as children, well, my sisters and I were kept away."

She smiled acrossd the table at him and her gaze had wandered to where she had seen her father surrounded by his friends and some business acquaintances. He would have noted her too pleased that she was amongst her own groups.

"Oh I'd not worry about any of that." She reassured him. "You have not broke a single thing here thus far and tis far more crowded than a house."

She sipped her drink her eyes resting for a moment on the Earl wondering if he intended to return wth his friend. It had crossed her mind that he might think that the other Gentleman might want to be alone with her but then that was dismissed - they had only just been introduced after all! It seemed that old habits died hard. One more thing that she had to change come the New Year.

"Will it be hard to find a residence that will please your Lady Mother?"

She asked to keep conversation moving until the other returned.

Ellen and Torrington

“Yes, I suppose that is true,” said Edmund with a laugh, “yet, anyway! There is always time for me to cause some disturbance inadvertently, I’d warrant!” Whilst sat down you would not expect that but previous experience made Edmund sure that that was not necessarily a guarantee of immunity from mishap. He seemed to attract accidents like a bee to nectar. “Growing up with two brothers and two sisters, my parents house was not short of damage.”

“I am sure my small powers of description have not done Buckingham House justice. Still, it is, if anything, a fine symbol of the Wheel of Fortune, in bricks and mortar. The Duke, once oppressed by the Protectorate now lives in fine style. Not quite Pauper to Prince, but the lesson is there in any event if you choose to see it. That is one of the things I like most about London, or at least the idea of London, I should say. Up in the vastness of Northumbria one tends to be what one comes into the world as. In my circumstances I do not pretend to be hard done by – but the rule is the same: a shepherd a shepherd; a miner a miner; a country squire a country squire. Yet down here, with Lady Luck on one’s side, there is nothing, or at least very little, to stop one becoming quite whatever one has the audacity to try and be. I think the same is true of ladies as well as men.”

“Now, my my,” he said, tapping his fingers on the tabletop again, “listen to me prattle on!”

“I hope you do not have cause to agree but I find that most people do understand the feeling – it is almost impossibly hard to please my Lady Mother. So much so that I often wonder why I bother – filial duty and a sense of guilt, no doubt! Oh, I dare say she means well but her standards are exacting to say the least. I dare say we could both choose the same residence but, if I had selected it, it would be held as wrong, but if she had selected it, it would be deemed most suitable indeed! I am at St Mark’s at present regarding my lodgings – most tasteful and accommodating to be sure. Yet, if I am but the advance guard of a more wholesale Torrington relocation then it can only be a temporary reprieve from finding something more personal and durable. I think I shall try and find something with as many rooms as far from each other as possible – for the sake of each member of my family’s sanity – so far as my funds allow!”

Ellen and Torrington

"Yes tis very possble to change and become something or someone else - either good or bad. I have seen it done oft times enough with those fresh off a ship. Yet tis not always a success I am afraid. Too many fall into traps or are easily led astray into darker places. But then there are those that soar as well."

"I do believe that in your case, if you are carefull, there will be much opportunity."

She smiled but her words carried a serious tone that she hoped he might heed. Even those from the far reaches of the Land could fall prey and she guessed that underneath his brave words might lurk more of the Northumbrian Gentleman then he'd like to have show.

"Please! Do not offer an apology for talking - I am not in the least put off you know. I am not so sheltered I assure you. My father is a Businessman after all and has many interests and I have assumed the position of 'son' in many ways. So it might be said then that I have indeed become something I am not."

"I am sure your Lady Mother must have many fine qualities for else how then can we as offspring inherit them. But I also understand the predicament of trying to please. The relationship between Mother and daughter is not as for father to son - yet both can be demanding."

"So you shall move them all here to London then?" An eyebrow rose at the thought. "That is a large undertaking and I would hope that you have employed a secretary to aid in it? If you make use of Father's agent, or any other, then you must also enquire about that. He will keep ledgers and records and deeds and other such things as well as see to the planning and moving of your household."

"And servants must be found and trained in the fashion that will ensure a well-run house and also please your Lady Mother. And what of your Estate left behind? Have you a good agent that can over-see its running in your absence? One that will not cheat you out of profit or foods?"

She paused then realizing that she had rattled on into businees that was none of hers.

"Forgive me. Now you see the example of how I am my Father's daughter! My mind turns that direction without a prod and I speak of things that I would have done. You will naturally do what is best."

She did not look away but could feel the flush on her cheeks. He would think her addle-brained or nosey and she did not want that impression made.

OOC: not sure how long JW shall be away, so allowing the pc space, to hopefully join us when they return from their summer break.

IC:

Beyond Ellen and Edmund, the Earl was seen to be returning with his friend - when a motion called Sir James apart proper to his arrival. George made a carefree gesture with his assurance that James join them as soon as that matter was settled... and so the Earl returned to the table.

The pair seemed to be getting along well - George caught the tail end of Ellen's comment of her father. His eyebrow rose questioningly as he reclaimed his seat, not quite sure where they were at topic wise he did not mean to muddy that up. "I've yet to have the honor of meeting your Father, though I am friends with Lord Melville, your brother in law." he placed a neutral enough comment as buffer to explain, "Sir James shall be along presently."

(ooc: I'm fine with this).

IC:

She smiled at the Earl as he rejoined and after he settled answered

"If you know Lord Melville than I am surprised that you have not also met my father - a thing easily remidied."

"I am glad to welcome your friend - can you not speak a little of him so that we might have a bit of knowledge? Tis always an easier thing if so armed."

She did not think that the Earl would object and it might help to further break any lingering misunderstood feelings bewteen them.

Archived