JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Meandering through the festivities | Wed Afternoon

Francis Kirke

"Politics is an acquired taste," the older lord replied. It seemed that Kingston was still learning his way.  He had a master politician for a cousin, so there was hope for him.

"Yes, the sympathizers are the most covert."  The mention of Davina drew his interest.  "Miss Wellsley is something of an enigma," he assessed.  "She seems so well-trained and steady; but she seeks only herself for counsel.  In that, she is a fool.  She is like a child that thinks she knows better.  She has no man to guide her.  She disrespects her brother, who is not strong.  She needs to marry an older gentleman who can teach her wisdom, which she sorely lacks.  I do not sense she is evil, but she is best to act as bait to draw fanatics to her."

Bristol saw Duncan standing nearby.  It seemed as if he might like to join company.  "Melville, do come join us," he invited.

Francis did not know the lady well enough to really comment on her demeanor over much. Bristol seemed to think she needed serious guidance and thought too well of her own ability; that observation seemed to bear out in how she had acted - or rather not acted - about the potential poisoning attempt. So much so that after the Tower, he had not really thought to see her close at hand at court. Perhaps she was, in fact, being used as bait.

The King had been incensed. He could not imagine even a merry and tolerant king would wish to see such a woman around; people, even women, had been banished from court for far less.

"It makes me ill at ease. Any foolish person who thinks too well of their own counsel is dangerous if they have already been duped once." He sighed. "Before all this, I thought she had been incredibly foolish to flirt with His Majesty when it is a well-known fact that the King had promised her mistress not to be involved with any of her ladies; it did not seem a thing a good servant to the Queen would do..." She had done so more than once that he had directly observed. Francis was not wholly sure he was ready to write off sinister in exchange for foolish. Women were frequently underestimated by men.

When Bristol saw Melville and hailed him, Francis gave a nod of welcome and a smile.

"Good day, my friend. Come to see the sights?"

As both lords seemed amenable to his company, the Lowlander approached. “Lord Bristol, an honour to see you again”. He bowed deeply. “Lord Kingston, a pleasure”. The bow was less formal, but not less respectful. I wonder if they are on the King’s business, and I should not have approached. Still, they did bid me to. Perhaps I should join them but for a moment, and then depart.

“I needed to get some fresh air, Lord Kingston, and to occupy the mind. I thought being surrounded by merry people would lift the sombre cloud, but alas, it has not, at least not to the degree I would wish”. A pregnant pause, then he turned and explained to the Earl of Bristol. “My wife died. I have fought many a battle with blade and shot, won some and lost others, but not even the worst loss weighed on my soul as heavily as this one”. With the Northern Secretary being the earl’s son-in-law, the Catholic lord could know already about the death of his Book Mouse, but if he did not, an explanation for the Scot’s gaunt looks was in order. The aging earl's gravitas demanded it.

Trying to lighten the mood of his previous words, he commented striving for a more cheerful tone. “Have you seen anything curious, my lords? So far, I have not seen something that has sparked my interest. But fairs and circuses are bound to present something unusual, or so I hope”.

Bristol found himself agreeing with Kingston.  "A true fear, but perhaps she will learn something useful, more ways than one," he offered with but little optimism.  "She is the one that should have married the Spanish Ambassador methinks.  The current Lady Toledo seems ill-suited to the role."  Bristol was known as a man who admired the Spaniards, even in their current decline.  Behind this admiration was the fear that it was the Spanish Jesuits who were behind the plot to poison the prince.  "I know a Spaniard who would control her and bring her around.  A year or two on the Continent might be good for her, and the distance from the Prince reassuring."

It was then that Duncan joined them.  "Sparking interest is the story of my life son," he laughed.  "I have fought for England, France and Spain.  I have attempted to negotiate the most doomed proposals.  I have visited the New World and found the headwaters of the Fountain of Youth, buried in jungles and snake, guarded by ferocious savages.  I have sought cities of gold and childish legends.  And now I am here to observe the christening of the prince that may rule England for decades after my death.  Som there are scandals and plots afoot here at Windsor and a squad of elephants even."  It was an attempt to cheer the dour Scotsman.  The Scots and Irish were thought to be a brooding lot.

"Melville, I am truly sorry for your wife.  I have buried many friends and even a daughter.  It is a dark passage that no man can avoid, but there is always a horizon to beckon if you would greet it, a grand story to discover if you but read it, and future friendships if you would but meet it.  These will mitigate your loss, though never erase it.  Your memories will keep her alive through your lifetime and you will build more good memories in the days ahead.  But take care of yourself Melville.  Keep her memory alive by keeping yourself alive.  The world will be better for it," he attempted to assure.  "Life is too precious," he urged. "It is something an old man like me would give everything to gain."

"It was not my first choice for her either," Francis replied. "German tendencies and Spanish tendencies do not seem something which would mesh, but in the end that was the choice." He sighed when speaking of Sophia. "I hope it does not bite her in the end as she was most insistent for it."

As to Davina, he nodded. It seemed a sound idea to him.

"Well, you have just arrived, have you not? Have you even viewed one of the acts in the tents? I myself have just managed to get as far as a drink."

He listened with a keen ear to Bristol's tale. "Some tales in there I would love to hear, even as a traveler and adventurer myself, my lord," Francis said, with a salute of his mug.

"And here here to the sentiments. You dear departed lady would not wish your torment. Create a story for yourself she would have loved to read, my friend."

Bristol, Kingston, and Melville

After a moment or two of silence, during which his thoughts and emotions were a whirlwind, the viscount finally lifted his chin up, looked at the other two noblemen in the eye, and said with a still sad but stronger voice*: “if they ever tell my story, my lords, let them say I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but some names will never die. Let them say I lived in the time of Bristol, seeker of legends and a legend himself. Let them say I lived in the time of Buckingham, a prince among princes. Let them say I faithfully served Charles II, by the grace of God King of England, Scotland and Ireland, until my last breath. I may never become as grand as any of you, but I will not go to the great beyond without leaving my mark!” His gloominess lifted a little. “Lord Kingston, you are correct. I owe it to my dear wife to write a story worth reading”.

A bit of steel had returned to the Scotsman’s voice. His right hand went to an inner pocket and produced his sterling flask. Lifting it in salute to Bristol and Kingston, he took a long pull of the Madeira contained therein. “To your health, my lords” he said, “and thank you both!”. He then offered the flask to the other two, in case they wanted to partake. “A fine Madeira”, he added.

“Lord Bristol, your travels in the New World must be quite the story. I have been to the Carib Sea, on a trading ship, and the marvels I witnessed made my mind explode. Ambergris, yellow pearls, palm trees. They were all amazing, though I am certain I did not see even a tenth of what I could have!” Life seemed to be returning to Duncan. Sea travel was a subject he enjoyed.

* I shamelessly stole a  line, and modified it slightly. Please let me know if it should be changed.

Bristol enjoyed the company of younger men.  He was easy to befriend and good with a story, yet his life choices had almost always been bad.  "There are many a story the three of uss could share over a mug of spirits," the older man commented.  Standing in an open field at a carnival was not sufficiently cozy for such a sharing.

"That's the spirit," Bristol encouraged the Scotsman.  A true English gentleman was fortified by duty and a stiff upper lip.

"The Carib is a wondrous place.  The swamps in Spanish Florida house dinosaurs from a lost age, much like the crocodiles along the Nile in Africa.  If I was only young enough to delve deeply into the Dark Continent.  Who knows what wonders are hidden there?" he uttered with a faraway gaze.

There was mention of carnival attractions.  "Shall we watch a show or competition?  I would not mind finding a place to sit down."

• 4 weeks later...

"Here here," Francis replied to the renewed spirit in his friends. "And I shall be happy to be here whilst you write it."

Court could provide many distractions and opportunities to put oneself to use. Melville could make one hell of a story.

"I should like to hear such stories, most definitely," Kingston answered, with a nod. "My own stories are likely lackluster by comparison, though I have done some travels. Let us find somewhere to sit and something to watch. Dare I say, also, something to drink." His own drink was now empty. "I should visit some of these oddities booths and such too."

“The Carib is indeed a wonderful place, Lord Bristol”, Duncan agreed, “there is a yellow pearl bank off the coast of one of the Windward Islands. It is a beautiful place. The closest I have seen to heaven on earth”. Out of loyalty to Sir Cedric, the Scot did not mention which specific island. “As for Spanish Florida, I have not been there yet, but got close. We did some trading near the ambergris banks, in Bermuda. Beautiful place too, as long as no storm hits. Storms in the tropics could level a town with ease”.

”Thank you, Lord Kingston. Your company while the story is being written will be much appreciated”. It would. Kingston had the reputation of tending to give as much as he could while not asking for much in return. “If I achieve the stature of Lord Bristol’s shadow, I will be happy”.

Then a place to sit and drinks were mentioned. “I would not mind sitting for a drink myself. And if you want to watch a show, choose it, and I will follow along. I am not good at deciding which one at this moment, I am afraid. My mind is somewhat in a fog. A competition of some sort would be my preference, though”. Hopefully the two English Lords would understand that the viscount would prefer not to enter a freak show. With his wife recently dead, he was not up to witness more human misery.

There was no scheduled competition at the moment.  It seemed as if the desire of the carnival master was to move everyone into the big tent area for the main show.

There was, however, an area where acrobats were putting on for a gaggle of commoners and their children.  There were several benches placed and one was unused.  Bristol directed the lords to the empty bench.  As he sat, he let out a lough sigh of relief, happy to be off his feet.  There were lemonade and ale venders walking around selling drinks.  Bristol signaled the ale vendor with a raised cane.  "No doubt that both are watered down," bristol mumbled as he awaited the arrival.

"I have not been to the Windward Islands," the Earl confessed to Melville.  "I should like to cruise the islands of the Carib."  Another sigh followed as he thought on white beaches and clear ocean tides.  "Each of the islands I have seen have been so picturesque."

The ale vendor arrived abnd Bristol tossed him a silver for drinks for the trio.

Francis gave the ale vendor his empty cup and accepted another one. 

"I can vouch that it is, having sampled before you both arrived," Francis replied. It was definitely not a strong ale. It had an acceptable flavor, though. 

He paid only mild attention to the acrobats. Unless two of them collided, it was not likely to be that exciting. At least not sober.

"Perhaps it is time to do so after the Spring squalls," Francis advised the elder lord. "Sunshine and nice temperatures if I remember correctly. I have only ever made two trips toward there. Too busy with other ships." Which was to say that there was too much piracy in the area. He only had two routes these days: to the colonies and around the boot of Italy and sometimes to the Turks by that same route.

"Naples has fantastic weather and beaches as well, and the citrus fruits are better than the others I have had." He was very fond of the quality of fruits there. The locals put it to the volcanic ash having made the soil very rich.

The acrobats were not the most exciting of acts, but Duncan was more interested in the conversation with the other two lords. The bench did not seem to be the greatest of comforts, but the elder lord seemed to enjoy it, so the viscount sat as soon as the famous earl did. Then Bristol bought a round of drinks. The Lowlander raised his mug in thanks as soon as he received it, and added, “next one is on me”.

“Yes, the Carib has the likes of Morgan navigating it. But if you like adventure, and you have a good ship and crew, it is not that bad. Pirates prefer unarmed merchantmen to ships that can return cannon and musket fire”. That was one reason Sir Cedric’s ships carried less cargo but a decent battery of guns, and why Duncan had given basic musket training to the crew on the trip he had just mentioned. “Lord Kingston is right; the Mediterranean has beautiful sights. But it also has the Barbary pirates. So, there is plenty of adventures at sea to choose from, Lord Bristol”. The question was if the aging gentleman was willing to risk it.

“Or… you can exchange the adventure of exotic waters for those much closer to home, at court”, Duncan remarked without meaning to give his words much importance.

"Yes, the south of Italy," Bristol agreed with Kingston.  "Like the south of Spain," he sighed.  "It is grand to stare across the straits from Gibraltar."

"Damnable pirates," he muttered. "Frankly, we should send a fleet and a regiment of royal foot to storm Tunis, or Tortuga.  Forget the French and the Dutch."

To Duncan's point about court, the old man laughed "too many sharks at court." As for sailing to the West Indies, he found himself nodding.  "Do youknow a stout ship likely to sail after the squalls? The WIC has mostly unarmed merchant ships.  I would want something with at least a dozen cannon.  I was thinking of asking Toledo to gain me a place on a Spanish warship and sail to Cuba and Panama.  I still have friends is Spain."  Bristol knew the Queen Mother but not Don Juan de Austria, who had risen to power recently.  He had heard that the Toledos were close to Don Juan. 

"It is not a route that my ships make, but perhaps Sir Cedric's do," Francis said, giving a nod at Duncan as if to ask if the highlander knew. "I do not know that they carry that many cannon, but perhaps they do."

Not every merchant ship carried any cannon at all. They were incredibly expensive and also sold restrictively. Not to mention that how to employ cannon was not the skill one learned easily, let alone employ it well. Francis had been a naval officer, so he at least knew how to use them and to teach their use; at least then his cannon were not a heavy waste of coin.

"I admit, though Lady Sophia married Lord Toledo, my knowledge of Spain is not the greatest." In general, Francis had a healthy skepticism over Catholic politics. 

"Surely there is at least one stout, English ship headed that way."

“Pirates at least are honest, Lord Bristol. You know where you stand with them. They kill you, or you kill them, but everyone knows what everyone’s intentions are…” unlike politics. “It is an interesting state of affairs when you can trust a pirate’s motivations more than you can trust the intentions of some politicians… not that I see either of you as a mere politician. You are both grander than that”. And in the case of Kingston, at least, far more reliable. Duncan did not know Lord Bristol well enough to have an informed opinion about the Catholic Lord in that regard.

“Sir Cedric owns the Golden Sun, a fifth rate that can be outfitted with 40-44 cannon. How a trading company got its hands on a proper fighting ship I do not know, but she is swift. She home ports in Bristol and sails to the Colonies and the Carib. I am unsure how many cannons she currently has onboard, but the gunports and tackle are there. Perhaps you could sail in her, Lord Bristol. I have been onboard, and the crew is reliable. They will not strike the colours at the sight of the first brigantine that hoists a black flag. Some of her sailors I trained to fire muskets myself, and they can hit a target and fire at a steady rate”.

The Scot could not get them to fire six shots every two minutes, only four. But for civilian sailors firing from a swaying deck, that was not too bad. The Golden Sun had been the reason the Lowlander asked Lord Kingston to help him get a letter of marque for the war that was not but could still be, with previous enemies as allies, and previous allies as enemies. Politics!

Although the Duncan had fought in the Spanish Netherlands, he had never been to Spain itself, so he kept quiet about the topic, even though he liked the Spanish Ambassador. Don Esteban had always treated him with respect, and the Lowlander liked to carry his Spanish basket-hilt rapier at events where Toledo was present. Just like with pirates, you generally knew where you stood with Spaniards.

Then he remembered an idea he had been toying with. “Lord Kingston, if any of the yachts on Friday’s race finds herself short a helmsman, I will gladly volunteer to take the post. I am a little too out of practice to run the ratlines, but I learned how to keep the tiller steady, and I was taught how to read the water surface for shallows in seas far more treacherous than the Thames”.  Duncan was not a pilot, but he had asked, and he had practiced what he had been taught, so at least he would not run a yacht aground. “I cannot promise I will help win a race, but at least I can promise not to sink a yacht I crew for”.

Edited by Duncan Melville

"While I would prefer an English ship of course," Bristol agreed, "the Spanish close all of their ports to English or French ships.  Thus, I could visit Jamaica surely, but not Cuba, Panama, or anywhere in the central or southern Americas." Still, a fifth rate ship could be protection enough from pirates.  "I may contact you about Sir Cedric's ship nevertheless.  I must read more on the ports of call in the West Indies," he admitted.

As for pirates, Digby did not have any respect for the bands of buccaneers.  "Yes, they want to rob and kill you.  Of this they do not attempt to deceive," he acknowledged.  "A politician will take advantage of you and feather their own nest, but they do not seek to kill you.  Pirates must all meet the hangman's noose.  As for politicians, some need to be whipped with a rope, but you can trust them to always act in their own interest, which rarely involve robbery and murder," Bristol insisted.  "They bear falsehoods in public and sometimes confess the truth in private.  There are honorable politicians to be found.  I doubt the stories of honorable pirates."

As for the yacht race, the Earl was content to merely place a wager.  He would leave to Kingston an appreciation of which vessel might make use of a Scottish navigator.

Francis laughed at Melville's offer to volunteer for one of the ships. Most the participants who had a yacht, had a crew that typically manned them, and Francis was the only one who was using a different crew. They were all sailors of his larger ships, but they had not worked as a small yacht team whereas his usual crew that he had given to the Margrave did so all the time. 

"If anyone is in the need of an addition, I will let you know. I surely cannot lose anyone on my own craft as I've given my usual yacht crew to the Margrave who is visiting and am using some spares from my other crews. His Majesty borrowed the prince his other yacht to join in and me to acclimate him to the Thames," Francis explained. "A speeding yacht is far different than larger ships, so I'll have a bit of a disadvantage in not having my usual crew."

He listened to Lord Bristol speak. His words had their wisdom. 

"I don't know, my lord, I think there are plenty who would maneuver a murder into place for their political power and personal gain at court. They are more likely to smile and smile and be a villain."

“I am at your service, Lord Bristol. I am certain that Sir Cedric would consider it an honour to have you as a passenger on one of his ships if you so chose”. Who could deny the famous Lord Bristol, after all? He was famous not only as an explorer, but also as a Cavalier. They are a dying breed, these men, and my generation will not live up to the standards they set, thought the Lowlander. We are far too selfish.

“If I had been born fifty years before I was, Lord Bristol, then I would probably think more like you. I am a product of my times, though, methinks”. And I still think I would rather associate with Sir Harri Morgan than with the likes of Danby. I would know where I stood every second.

As for piloting a yacht, Duncan knew it probably would not happen. Still, one made offers to show oneself available for service. One could be denied a hundred times but, if one was accepted on the hundredth and one, it was all worth it. “I may be a liability when compared to a skilled Thames pilot, I agree, but my offer stands. A bad pilot might be better than no pilot at all… or so I hope”, the viscount said as he echoed Kingston’s laughter. “Do not fret about it, though. I am just willing to serve. and if not needed, I will attend anyway, loudly place my bets on the one who is bound to lose, and complain about it afterwards. It is all about benefiting the Navy Royal, after all, not myself”.

Lord Kingston’s words regarding politicians and murder were received with a raised glass and a smile. “I guess there are blackguards everywhere. But there must be principled gentlemen too, if there is to be a balance”.

A drink from his glass, which now was empty. “May I pay for another round?”

"Murder by a politician is a a rare thing, for in all likelihood the murderer, or the man that ordered it, will be discovered in the end.  One can get away with it only with the Crown and Courts to protect.  The risk is too great and the penalty is death.  Only a madman would attempt it ... or a scorned woman."  He had known a lady or two who were vipers when scorned.  Of course, nobles had the right to murder a commoner, but only once, claiming noble privilege.  Lord Pembroke had used it.

"I should like to make Sir Cedric's acquaintance," Bristol stated to Duncan.  "If he is here, if not, in London."

There was talk about piloting yachts on the Thames, but the Earl began to watch people fleeing the main arena in panic.  "Heavens, something has gone wrong with the show," he declared.  "I saw an elephant, it may be on the rampage."