JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Alterations @ Madam Garlands | Monday morning

Darlene Hamilton

MADAM GARLAND'S

That Madam Garland caters to the upper crust of society is immediately evident upon entering her shop. Silks and wools of the highest quality dominate her shelves, in an assortment of colours to please all but the foolishly particular. Madam Garland herself only appears for special customers, but an assistant is always on hand to answer questions... And assure dirty paws don't mar expensive fabrics.

Gown repairs and alterations can also be performed by the Madam and her excellent staff.

While Darlene had always been impressed at how strong her darkie maid was, she suggested they find some help for her today.   And fortunately for them they located a helpful fellow from the castle who had lifted the trunk onto the back of a cart that Maisie accompanied down to Garlands in advance.  It was later that morning, perhaps half after ten, that Lady Oakham arrived though the seamstresses doors.  

It had been Sophia who told Darlene about this place, and as she looked about it's interior now, she could see it had all the necessary trappings.  In Darlene’s hand was two ostrich feathers, which she'd found still in her room after the trunk left. So she carried those beautifully waft-y items herself here in person.

While she waited for an attendant, she absently looked out the window at passers by.  As she watched she hummed a hymn, like her Papa had always recomended to her.  

Edited by Darlene Hamilton

The small bell had indicated an arrival and soon a younger woman appeared.

She noted that the Lady carried two feathers as she took a quick assessment of her dress noting the cost of fabrics and trims.

She had been carefully educated by Madam about these kinds of things and how it helped to judge the 'seriousness' of a customers funds.

"Good Morning M'Lady. How might I be of assistance?"

She gave a small curtsey.

"Good morning." Darlene replied, turning from her distraction to view the garment assistant whom had appeared.  "I... ah did you receive the trunk delivered by my maid some little while ago?  Garments that I want died black I think. Though then, perhaps you have some mourning muslin here already made up.  The dresses seem quite pretty to ruin like that, so I have no objection to your simply passing them on.  Perhaps we arrange some manner of trade, I am sure my brother would be happy to avoid a bill." 

She was still holding the pretty and wafty pink ostrich feathers, feathers that she now passed to the woman.  "Oh, and I have these too." Which the shop assistant might even recognise as a product sold by the haberdashery just a few doors away. 

The assistant looked a bit taken back. 

"Well indeed a trunk was received here. But perhaps there is come confusion  ...... "

"Thank You Alice. I will attend now."

A lady of perhaps the middle thirties appeared dressed in a topaz colored silk closed gown. She was neither pretty nor plain but taken as a complete package there was something undeniable attractive and elegant about her. Her hair was auburn colored and worn coiled in a braid round the back of her head. She wore pearls in her ears but her fingers were ringless with well kept short nails. Her face was slender and her brows nicely arched above her blue eyes with a fringe of dark lashes. Her movements were unhurried and her voice and tone were pleasing but in no way condescending. There was nothing 'flowery' about her despite her name.

"I am Madame Garland."

"As my assistant has said a trunk was brought here but I do not dye fabrics or cloths belongs to others. As for anything that is to be 'passed on' you will not find such here. In London, Birchin Lane to be precise, is were second-hand clothing can be taken and bought."

"I do not carry items that are already completed. Everything is made to measure for my clients."

"But I shall be happy to help you select fabric for mourning attire. Or any of your other needs. May I add my sympathies for your loss."

As she spoke she was taking a careful assessment of the younger woman attempting to mark her out as either a bored wife of a Peer or a well-kept Mistress. But the mention of a brother cleared it up. She made no reply to that offer to 'trade' and naturally a discussion of a bill would hardly be done at the start. It was assumed that the Lady would be charging her purchases to a Gentleman and she gave a small smile at the mention of how the brother would like to avoid a bill. Judging by her attire that brother was in for a quite a surprise  ......

"Ah. You have been next door as well. Shall we sit and you can tell me what it is you wish as in design and material? I have the newest fabric books  ...."

She indicated a small grouping of four chairs around a polished wooden table that was clearly a treasured piece of furniture.

As she waited for the other to sit she quietly gave a signal to her assistant who withdrew and would see to refreshments if wanted and a clerk would be ready to bring out any of the books.

A woman then replaced the assistant, a woman with grace and poise, along with a manner of confidence that told Darlene this was the master of the craft arrived. 

“Lady Oakham.” Thus names were exchanged, though swiftly enough the shop owner snuffed out the intentions that Darlene had.  Her garments, things that had been much adored treasures, were turned away – suggested to be sent to London somewhere. 

It came as something of a shock, and the emotional Darlene had her eyes well up with tears. Her life had come to be such a state that just nothing she thought to do was possible… not even renouncing hope for herself and dissolving into widowly spinsterhood.

It was not a complete rejection though, Madam Garland offered to make a complete dress for her.  However long that might take. Darlene drew a shuddered breath, and schooled her exhalation enough to reply “Thank you.  It was some six months ago, I had returned to wearing colours, but realise my heart is not ready for it.”

Darlene imagined a complete dress might take a week at least to complete, which meant either she kept wearing her colourful costumes for that time, or hermit herself away for that time.  The first option was impossible.  While the second, was possibly wiser than her original plan – only harder for her as it was a cold turkey retreat from social life.

“My wish is not for excess nor the first blush of fashion.”  Darlene looked two where the other gestured, and moved to take one of the chairs at the pretty table.  “I would like for a care and quality that is respectful of my love of the one I have lost.”

Those were words that felt right to say, and if Thomas watched over her still, he might forgive her a little for the wounds she caused upon his heart.

“How long does it take to complete a garment? Though really, I do not have any social engagements that I need to keep. But I should like if it could be ready in time so I can attend the Christening next weekend.” 

Taking note of the emotional state that Lady Oakham was creating for herself she knew that this client would require a softer approach.

"Well. Allow me to offer you some refreshment - a glass of brandy perhaps - tis French with just a hint of orange."

She gave a small nod of her head and Alice appeared with a tray with two plain but exquisitely cut crystal glasses each filled with a measure of the amber colored liquid.

"Please." She indicated that Lady Oakham take a glass. Then she would take the other. "If you will allow it shall I tell you my observations?"

Darlene's lashes fluttered in a moment of confusion, which was quite likely due to her current distress. It was an unlikly surprise to have the courtesty of glass of brandy offered her.  "You are so kind." she made a small smile and remembered to adjust the fall of her skirts after having sat. 

The glasses that arrived seem to compliment the craftmanship of the table, and more likely than not were a gift from some well to do client.  Darlene took up one of the glasses and took a teaser sip (she did not usually drink spirits). 

"Yes go ahead, better that than I request things that are not possible." 

"You are young - perhaps not yet twenty - and so your emotions are to be expected. Tis never an easy time no matter ones age."

"I have no cure but you must trust in the fact that Time itself will indeed be a great healer."

"Now as to what you wish for in attire ..... Your hair color will be the most useful item when choosing colors. As is your skin. To achieve the proper balance is what we want."

She stood and went to where several fabric books had been put taking up two of the rather heavy looking tomes. She returned and placed them on the table between them.

"Shall we begin  .....

black is a color you can wear but I will advise against it. You have said that you have stopped wearing mourning but now have a desire to return to it. I would like to recommend some other colors instead.

You wish to achieve a 'look' of mourning and that is easy enough. It simply requires the right paring of colors and fabric as well as ornamentation.

But before I continue do you understand what I have said? And will you be receptive to my suggestions?

It would be pointless for me to invest time and effort if you are not."

Madam Garland was not like any dressmaker Darlene had met, but gave herself leave to make personal comments.  Which in a usual circumstance might have dismayed her a great deal, but in her current miserable state, she hardly even cared.  Perhaps if Darlene's mother was still alive, she might have said something similar, but as she was not this was the first time anyone had said anything of the like to her. 

Darlene sniffed, and just wished Thomas was still here with her. 

"Colours you think, well, then perhaps dark brown like the earth that now embraces my love." she thought out aloud as Garland talked of colours. The two books full of colours then placed on the table seemed then rather excessive, though Garland spoke on as though she had a plan in her mind to how she could work this. 

"Yes, that is what I desire." Darlene nodded, "I..." she paused, a bit overwhelmed of it all, and teary still, and since the lady had been so personal she felt at liberty to expose her heart further, "I wish for dress that will help me to behave as I wish to, in honour of him, nothing showy that might appear attention seeking nor ambitious. I am resolved to take a place at the side.  Why to be honest I hardly even know why I have attended the court season at all, but here I am, and to represent my family.  Both the Oakhams and the Chesterfields." 

She gave an inward sigh. Lady Oakham was indeed Theatrical  and seemed well inclined to apply it to every aspect of her being.

So  .........

"It is then your wish to appear as one who no longer sees herself as part of the Living but rather as one simply waiting for her own time to die?"

"Am I understanding it rightly?"

"If that is so then we can do away with any of my thoughts. It is an easy enough thing to make you simple plain gowns that do nothing for you and will draw no attention."

"In such colors - that brown you said will do wonderfully for all your things - anyone who sees you will think only of your sorry state."

"It will be as you say and you will find yourself left very much alone. You will indeed have a place at the side."

"But I must say it is such a waste. A young woman of such charms  ......."

She gave a small shake of her head.

"Very well then. Alice  ..." She called out quietly for her assistant. "Take these books away and fetch all the plain brown fabrics we have."

"Lady Oakham has given me her preferences."

Madam Garland was no fool. She could well read that Lady Oakham was still too caught up in the mood she had made for herself as well as how things must be. By giving that Lady what she had asked for she was betting that a mood change would soon be happening. And with that a chance to make a small fortune in creating a complete wardrobe. If it did not happen today then she would send the Lady away to 'think more on it' and then return if she was still wanting her help.

Darlene wondered if Madam Garland was s judgementmental with all of her customers, or only widows.  It was plain enough she did not approve, the books of colors were sent away, along with words that Darlene knew were intended to 'hit home' - if she was someone else she might have changed her mind.  But she was resolved. 

"I shall still need the name of the London person who will dye the rest of my wardrobe black." Darlene reminded, while thinking the seamstress was about to tell her she was beyond her field. 

But then surprisingly Garland said she would still help. 

"Yes, that is what I want. Can you have the garment sent to my room at Windsor, I shall pay extra for your expediance. You did not say yet how long it shall take?"

She supposed she'd ask Maisie to find some local who was prepared to dye one of her dresses black meanwhile, untill she could have the rest professionally done. 

"Very well. Let us begin then. If you will follow me  ..."

She stood indicating for Lady Oakham to as well.

"I shall measure you and show you some fabric and then you will chose the one you wish. Since it is such a plain gown without any prettiness I would like you to come back Thursday morning for a fitting and any altering that might need to be done."

"At that time we can settle the account and the dress will be sent wherever you wish it to be delivered. On Friday."

"it is such a shame tho  ..... you are so young and charming and to seal yourself up is truly a waste  ....."

She said the words quietly almost as if to herself as she turned to have Lady Oakham follow her.

She led them through a curtained off doorway that led into an inner area with several tables and where a small square wooden table that was but a few feet off the ground was placed. All about were the objects one might think to find in such an establishment.

"Now then. If you could stand just here ...." She indicated a spot a few paces in front of her. "I shall take your measurements."

She took up a long wooden rod called an ELL that had notches marked on it at intervals along with numbers.

"There is no need to remove your clothing. Now stand straight for me and extend both arms out to the sides ....."

Using the rod she held it up to Lady Oakham's shoulders to measure the width between, then down each arm to her wrist, the center back and front, from neck to floor, her waist from side to side   .. all the while quietly saying a number to Alice who was writing it all down.

It took but ten minutes and it was done.

"I shall explain what will happen next. The pattern will be made from these numbers set on coarse paper and from that we will use it to cut the actual fabric. Speaking of that - Alice can you bring the selections."

"I shall show you five and you are free to chose the one you like."

She was all business now and yet she trusted that Lady Oakham would, sooner rather than later, see that she had indeed made an error in her thinking and return here to have new gowns made.

"Oh good, then it shall be prepared in time for the Christening." Darlene was relieved. 

It was a monumental day in unfolding English History, the greatest day that she'd be witness to (she could not count the actual restoration because she'd been just a toddler then).  "As to settlement, the bill shall go to my brother the Earl of Chesterfield.  If there is any problem with that she we had better stop right here."  The way Garland had expressed payment upon the Thursday made Darlene wonder if her brother did not have credit here? 

All being well, Darlene moved through to the back room and was quiet for the measurements being made and written down.  Her usual seamstress in Chesterfield had all these details on record, so it had been some time since a new measuring had been done.  Meanwhile she was getting used to Garland's manner of commentary, and realised there was no need to reply to her self talk about the waste of widowhood upon one so young. And pretty. Yes well Darlene knew was attractive in looks, but that was not the only factor for marriage now was it. Charles had not wanted her. Who else would.

There were to be five fabrics to choose from.  Darlene nodded her understanding, and thought to herself how different, how much simpler, her life would become.  Previously there had been seemingly unlimited options, and at the time Darlene had truly enjoyed all those pretty things, and had developed what she considered her signature style.  While no-one else had mimiced her matching ribbon belt and wrist bow style, she'd taken great pleasure in it. 

"Thank you, for making this easy as possible for me." she replied to Mrs Garland, and then turned to see what Alice had to show.  She imagined a brown so dark as to be like used coffee grounds. 

"It is just that I am unfamiliar with your Brother, Lord Chesterfield,  Lady Oakham. And so it is a necessary task."

She reassured.

"It shall be as you wish and accounts will be forwarded on."

She bothered not in asking for whereabouts. Her own contacts would soon provide that information as well as other useful things such as the size of his purse.

"It is my pleasure. I take Pride in my service and have never had a bad word follow me."

She knew that Alice was within calling range and so she said "Alice..."

That lady entered followed by two clerks carrying the requested items. They were set out on one of the unoccupied working tables. The fabrics were folded half their actual width and not pulled open further. 

"As you can see I have selected these five colors ranging from this darker brown to a warmer chestnut. It is what you have said you wanted in color."

"I do hope that you can select one. The sooner it is begun the better."

"As for the design  ..... staying with your wish to blend in I would suggest a plain construction - square bodice with the skirt pleated into a waistband from which the bodice will be attached. No underskirt."

"Obviously no trims or lace. No decoration nor jewels of any kind."

"It can lace up the back or even a side tie on one or both sides at your waist. It can even be buttoned if you prefer. No need for pins as there is no stomacher."

"Perhaps you will require a new chemise as well? If so then I will suggest a fine sheer cotton made of lawn - a very fine linen fabric."

"I understand, he is not one to attend court seasons, why he doesn’t even bother with The Lords – having given his proxy to our friends the Cavandishes.  My brother James Chesterford the Earl is not a name you hear of in these parts, he is more diligently a scolar at Oxford.  But I can give you my word as a gentlewoman that he is timely with accounts, being with ample means.”

Having rattled off a few names of the connections (that if she paused to think about it, she had managed to gain for the family) were bound to put Madam Garland’s purse at ease, Darlene felt comfortable to move on.

Alice brought the book in, it was a hefty tome though only five of the fabrics within it's pages were anywhere near possible. Darlene’s heart sunk, they looked more the thing for a mans riding jacket than a court dress.  Tally ho Chaps, rather than Adieu mon amour. 

And again she wished that black was possible. 

Lady Oakham sighed, trying not to get emotional over it.

“They are fine fabrics I can see, the weave is neat and consistent, I dare say that it shows the pedigree of your clientele that these are the sorts on offer.” Darlene tried her best to be nice while she knew there was a ‘But’ she needed to launch.  “But they truly are not as dark as I wish, for as you know I actually desire black.”

“Is there quite nothing at all in black I could have.” Darlene had rarely ever been as earnest in a question, “What if, well I have a lovely cloak in black, what if I brought that in and you could use the material to work into a dress that is fit for the Christening ceremony.”

“As to the design, yes I have always preferred square necklines, and with a bodice attatched, well that shall be novel but I am content to sample it.  I dare say it is simpler than with a stomacher separate.”

“I am sorry that, after all of this, I seem to be wasting your time.  These browns just shall not give me the use that a black gown shall, and I would not be frivolous with my brothers money nor your hard work, to order something that I wont wear at all.” Darlene was surprising herself managing to get all of those words out without a tear (though she knew her eyes were glassy.)

Madam Garland might not know, but this was all a very big deal for Darlene.     

"Here let me give you something for the trouble of your time." she sought out the opening in her skirt to the attatched pocket beneath, knowing she had a few coins there ferreted away. 

Madam was no fool. She always had another plan for those just in case occasions.

"Lady Oakham there is no need. I must instead offer you an apology."

"It is just that you are so young and the six months have passed and then you said 'brown' but now I understand."

"You wish to mourn and the best way for you is to wear black. That the color reflects your sadness and loss."

"Then black it shall be. I have a black velvet that is the color of ink. I can not go any darker."

"The gown can also be made as two pieces - bodice and skirt if that is more to your wants."

"The bodice will be all one piece so there will be no opening that would require a stomacher - unless you want it."

She nodded for Alice to remove the browns and the black would be brought for inspection.

"If I might also suggest - shall we look at what is in your trunk? Some fabrics will not take well to be dyed and some do."

Her manner had swiftly changed to one of sympathy but did not appear to patronize. 

"Do not distress yourself any further Lady Oakham. All will be well."

"This dress shall be ready come Friday as promised."

This client was altogether of a different sort and needed to be handled with a softer hand. The objective was after all to have her return for a complete wardrobe.

A wave of relief swept over her as Madam Garland came to understand; it was more than that even (so Darlene imagined at least) for the older woman seemed encouraging.

“It is hardly your fault, most my age are seeking pretties in celebration of life. And yes it’s been six months already for me, and it might make little sense to any but I, but the depths of my grieving is more deeply upon me now than before.  It is like you say, the best way is for me to wear black in reflection of that fact.” gratefully, she said.

There was a black as ink velvet available, Darlene gave a great sigh,“Thank you.”  Then waved Alice to stop her fuss, “I have no need to see the material, I know it is as you described. It shall suit perfectly." 

“Please, I am interested to try this single piece dress you first described, though I think I wish for some embellishment, an oak leaf, sewen in black above my heart, in liew of a brooch.  You see Oakham is known for its oak leaves, and also horse shoes, but the Oak Leaf shall be a better fit I think.”

“If there is time, that is.”

For as the seamstress appreciated, there was not much time to sew an entire garment prior to a fitting on Thursday.

“Oh, yes…” Darlene was less keen as she turned to the trunk.  It would be harder to say good bye to the dresses if she was to see them again. 

“There is just one that I especially want dyed, the one with the honeysuckle needlework around the hem and sleeves. Do you think It would go black well? If not, well, I could not see it sold.  It was what I was wearing the day I met my Thomas you see.” Her eyes glassed a moment, remembering that first day at court.  The vibrance of life, when everything seemed possible, shed done a twirl in the empty ball room. But Thomas had arrived, and he had seen. Their romance had not been a smooth one, but eventually they had become a firm couple, engaged, and then married.  Life had never been smooth for them really, even then.  But the honeysuckle vines dress, was a piece of her past she did not want to imagine upon some other hopeful girl.

Working through the rest of the dresses, she felt no connection with and was happy enough to have them sold if that was the recommendation made.

“Do you have ribbon also, I shall need something in black for my hair.” She asked for the dressmakers recommendation.

She smiled at hearing the words Lady Oakham spoke yet held onto her thoughts that this Lady was determined to assure that she would NEVER be overlooked despite her claims.

"Well it should not be a problem to create such but black onto black will like as not be seen well. Perhaps some black jet beads  ..... just to outline the shape ..... such small embellishments will not detract from your purpose."

"Since it holds such a dear place might I suggest that we see it packed safely away to be brought out once you have  .... recovered?"

"Perhaps your loved one might smile down in appreciation to see that you still hold it precious."

"And for the others - here too I might provide a solution."

"I can send an agent of mine own to London to dispose of those unwanted items and the monies received shall be returned to you."

"Will that suffice?"

'Well let me think ......."

"Some small velvet bows say three or four with the centers beaded with the same jet beads to tie it altogether? You can have your maid place them at random as you wish."

"Here let me show you  ....."

She took up a scrap fabric that was black and then taking up a needle threaded it swiftly and from a small box scattered amongst others picked out some small beads stitching them onto the fabric seemingly at will. But when complete it was a filled in square much like the center of the bows she had just described. Clipping the thread she then turned and took it to Lady Oakham to inspect.

"Naturally the fabric shall match the dress but this will allow you to 'see' what will be sewn."

"Does it meet with your approval?"

Madam Garland approved of the Oakham token, suggesting some jet beads to outline.   Needlework was something that Darlene enjoyed as a quiet pastime.  Nodding to the jet beads addition Darlene made a further suggestion, “I would like to work this upon a scrap of fabric myself, and shall bring it in to you on my fitting day on Thursday, for it to be sewn into place.”

The small needlework project, much smaller than her usual efforts, would be a needed occupation during the intervening days.  

"That is the better idea.” Darlene agreed, though she would have enjoyed wearing the honeysuckle dress again if it were black. Still it made sense of a sort, to leave it as it had been. “It shall be my own archive, and something I might take out to reminisce over from time to time.”  The seamstresses word ‘recovered’ lingered in her mind as a mystery, for she did not really know what recovery might look like for her.  She didn’t imagine recovery would mean wearing the dress of her debut again.   

Madam Garland was being very nice to speak so warmly though, the initially muddly impression was now smoothing into one rather more glowing.  And perhaps Darlene even enjoyed the others unexpected directness.  It showed a level of care and importance to her task. 

“Fairer still would be that any money retrieved from sale of those other garments be put into my brothers account with you.  He is such a good man to care for my needs still, I do not wish to rely upon him more than is really necessary.”  Which while well meaning was perhaps evidence of Darlene lack of money know how, for she had little idea of what sums might be involved either way. Whether that meant the account would be in credit or debit, she had not a clue.  

Madam Garlands creative side was then upon show, as she conjured a collection of velvet ribbon and beads to make a hair ornament (to conceal otherwise unsightly ties and clips.)  “Yes that would be perfect, can you provide me a collection of those things with the dress, and I can sew them together upon some clips to use.”   Darlene did not mean to, but a wave of emotion washed over her once more, and she had to pause and look away for a moment to gather herself. 

Drawing in a slow breath, she released it slowly, and then again. 

“You have been uncommonly helpful Madam, in the short space of time I’ve been sat at your pretty table here, I have felt more relief of what my life is become, than I had done in the preceding six months.  I have a very firm sense that you are a good woman, and that I have been blessed to make your acquaintance this day. 

“Now I shall not distract you from your work any more than I already have.  But bid you a good day, and thank you.” Arising from the chair, Darlene gave the woman a milky eyed smile.

The trunk remained unopened, and she was relieved. 

"Very well then. I shall do as you have requested. Although it is very unusual indeed for a client to offer payment."

She could hardly refuse anyway. The monies earned would be hardly any and no where near to the coasts of the gown and the bill would be sent to the Brother anyway.

She did hope that there would be no issue in recovering payment. Oft times the male members of a family raised objections to the sums spent yet had no problems with their own costs.

"As to the piece that you will sew - please remember that it can be no larger than this ...."

She folded a scrap of fabric to indicate the right size.

"Anything larger and it will not fit the composition of the design and will only draw all attentions to it."

"Thus defeating your wish to not be noticed."

"Of course. I shall send someone round to your lodgings this afternoon with the bows. Shall four be enough?"

She would ask for her location before they reached their farewells. 

The play of emotions were quite visible and she had to hide a smile. Lady Oakham had such a way about her weather it was by intent or not.

"Well I have tried to always gage the emotions and desires of my clients. And for you to say such words makes be aware that I have succeeded."

Those words were indeed said with sincerity.

"I hope that every time you return you shall feel that way. Here there is no interference or intrusions."

"i am confident that over Time you shall once again find laughter and take delight in all things."

"Allow me to see you on your way. I shall expect you Thursday  ..."

She rose as well seeing that Lady Oakham was shown out with politeness.

Darlene blinked at the oddness of the affront she’d given Madam Garland.  She’d not have thought offer of payment would be disapproved of!  The seamstress was, to use a phrase Thomas used, an odd chook.

Never the less she appreciated the direct manner (though she would be sure not to offer to pay her in the future?)

“I imagine about an inch and a half.” Darlene replied, “anything larger and I would not have time to complete. I am not a professional like you Madam.”

“My room is on the second floor of the Octagonal tower, but perhaps it best if you have your Alice leave the parcel with the steward on ground level. She is bound to be questioned by Prince Ruperts guards otherwise, which might only make her uncomfortable.” Darlene advised.

She was by now back to her feet, and looking to take up her parasol.  This English rose never frequented the outdoors without it.  But sight of it then struck her attention.  “Oh dear, I shall need this parasol frame recovered also, in a black lace I think.  Do you think you might see to that also?”

It was surely evident that Darlene would bring a great deal of work to her door over a span of time should Madam Garland become her preferred seamstress.

With plans squared away, Darlene left the best part of what had been her life inside her doors. Hastening out to the carriage, she asked to be delivered now directly to Windsor.

OOC: thanks for the RP ❤️