JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Flowers for the Living Tuesday May 12 early Afternoon

• #34 - Newcastle  House - Residence of Lady Oakham

The stone townhouse sits behind manicured hedges. Its front yard boasts a fountain sculpture of cupid hovering over a pairs of lovers. Built in the last ten years, the trees in its yard have yet to reach their fullness, a wide path leads arrivals directly to ominously large double doors. A very small garden, now unkempt from a lack of attention, lies behind the townhouse.

Inside the front door was an entry set with hall table with vase of fresh blooms. Springing from the entryway were two small rooms. To the right a study with bookshelf and comfortable mismatched chairs with a writing desk set near the window. To the left was the parlour, with cream settees with occasional tables scattered about. An English landscape sits above the fireplace.

Beyond the entry area was a formal room of grand proportion with broad staircase arising from it, though the room itself is minimally decorated with a scattering of chairs around a mat near the fire, and a piano at the far end. Passing through the grand room is a dining room with large table with an eclectic assortment of chairs, and beyond the dining room is the kitchen. There was a separate backstair in the kitchen for the servants.

The second floor contains three bedrooms. The third floor is for servants. There is a half cellar and half attic for storage.

The coachman had announced her but Elizabeth Monck insisted upon not waiting in the coach for another moment.  The flies seemed uncannily drawn to her perfume that morning and she was under assault.  Behind the Duchess of Ablemarle came a footman carrying a bouquet of lillies.

"Where is Lady Oakham?" she insisted as she approached the door.

Having barely slept the past two nights, and having been up extremely early that morning - Darlene was fully exhausted come the early afternoon. She been napping actually (still dressed in her red dress) when Maisie came running up the stairs to alert her to a guest waiting for her in the Parlour!   

Darlene barely had a moment to look at her reflection and smooth her skirts, before hurrying down the stairs to greet Elizabeth. 

"My darling friend -" she gushed with far more energy than she actually felt, her eyes running over the Duchess to triy divine clues to her unannounced visit, "- what a lovely surprise, do please sit down. I shall send for tea."  she turned to say "Maisie..." but her darkie maid was already off! 

There was all sorts of kerfuffle now as the previously napping house sprung back into wakness - eg. tepid kettle thrust upon a fire that was being hastily stoked.   

Meanwhile Elizabeth was bound to notice that this or that item of furniture looked familiar, for the entire house had been fitted out with pieces from the late William Cavandishs excess. 

Waving off the flies that hovered around her face as she entered, the Duchess wore a vexed expression of one that was being annoyed by insects.  "Beastly day! Why do not these flies focus on carrion ... or commoners?"

"Darlene, I am terribly sorry to call unannounced but the matter is urgent."  She looked about as she took her seat.  The furniture was somewhat recognizable to Elizabeth, though she had never found the time or reason to visit her grandfather here.  To her it was all an elder man thing that had caused him to seek a separate house in Picadilly as opposed to staying at the main house.  She did not wish to know why, until perhaps now.

"These lilies are for you.  No Easter should be without a bunch.  My man will place them where you like. They are quite fresh."  She offered a smile that suggested that the flowers were part of the apologies for the interruption.  "I had my astrological chart done over Easter.  Chris did not want one of his own, fearing his own death being revealed or some sort of nonsense.  You know men.  They have little intellectual curiosity.  I'll tell you more of it once you tell me how you are doing.  Are you well?"  She was in such a hurry that she realized that she had forgotten to ask after her hostess.

It did not take Darlene long to see that her guest was distressed by flies.  “It seems like they attracted to you.” Darlene hardly wanted to say that, but as Elizabeth’s friend she did want to help, “You’ve not tried some new beauty treatment have you?”

Ladies had been known to try some truly strange things in the name of beauty, perhaps Elizabeth had too, and the treatment had left some fly-attracting scent?

Meanwhile though, it was not beauty advice that the Duchess had arrived for, but some urgent thing else.

“Oh I love lilies, they are so perfect – as are you to think of me at Easter like this.” Darlene gestured to a seat, then gave instruction to Elizabeths man to go through to the kitchens to find a vase.  Darlene’s maid would take charge no doubt, and the man might also b given some sort of refreshment. (Whatever drink servants were partaking in these days?)

After the Duchess sat, the Viscountess would follow suit – protocols which took place without even thinking.

“I am entirely well thank you.   I’d even say death must be very far from me for I barely sleep – so alive I am.” Which was one way to look at it.   “But is it the predictions you received that has you so agitated?  Who was the medium, you know some of them are not to be trustest – not all are of the calibre of Our Fioenzi.”

"It could be the flowers I suppose," Elizabeth ventured.  "I tried a new lilac perfume. I cannot imagine they were drawn to it."  She cast a deadly gaze at one fly that continued to circle her head.  The rest had gone elsewhere.

"Barely sleep?" the Duchess noted just prior to launching on a further explanation.  "Are you having peculiar dreams in this house?" she whispered.  One did not discuss the occult in front of servants.

"My astrologer made clear that something was blocking my happiness.  It was my grandfather of all people.  There was something he had to give me or tell me.  The signs could not say what ... a book, a letter, a gift.  He died before he could give me a gift of something and my future is ... clouded as a result.  The moon is opposing Mars and conjoins with Venus.  It is really complicated."  She sighed and calmed her breath.  Elizabeth was but four years older than Darlene, so she was still an excitable young thing. She pulled her clutch fan and sought to cool herself.  It was also a handy weapon to keep the pesky fly at bay.  

"So I thought of you dear Darlene."  How to word things were awkward and it caused her to pause.  "You ... knew my grandfather at the end.  Did he speak to you of giving me something that he never delivered?"

"If we can read omens at all it must be that you should avoid Lilac then,” Darlene spoke, not that she was anywhere near as superstitious as Elizabeth. But still. “Why don’t you give that perfume instead to someone you don’t like.” Before Maisie left Darlene also instructed her to bring some warm water and a wash cloth.

The question regarding this house itself had been voiced once before, previously she’d thought nothing of it. But now. After her maid had left Darlene pondered upon that.  “Well I had thought I was just over excited, but. I’ve hardly slept a wink since I returned.”

Elizabeth moved properly into her subject, and Darlene could see it was difficult for her (which was unusual for this Duchess whom was usually very blunt.)  

Darlene fell hush, and wracked her brains.  “I am trying to remember.” She explained, not recalling spending any time with William talking about his granddaughter. 

“I am sorry my dear, I am not remembering anything at the moment.  Perhaps it shall come to me a little later."

"But.”  She paused, eyes widening as she looked at Elizabeth seriously.  “Do you think that rather than a gift, it is something especially IN this house that is the problem. For there was a old woman in the street once, who gave me this very strange thing. She said it was some sort of talisman, and I thought it so very strange that I kept it.  I think it is from Africa. And I think it might have witchcraft in it. I couldn’t help myself I just kept it for interests sake.  You don’t think it is that which is cursing you?”

"I shall give the perfume as an anonymous gift to Lady Norfolk then," she snickered, hoping to overcome her embarrassment of a perfume that seemed to attract flies. How embarrassing.  The Cavendishes and Howards were rivals and no one seemed to like that strumpet of a Duchess of Norfolk.  Elizabeth cringed when she drew near.

"My grandfather had a strong spirit.  It may still be here," she warned Darlene.  "He may be trying to communicate with you.  Perhaps you are in danger," she offered in an excited voice.

"Count Forensi, as you know, is a medium.  He has offered to hold a seance to summon the spirit of grandfather to speak with me, but I told him to wait until I could speak with you.  He may have hidden something in this house for me as well," she speculated.  "He had secret drawers at home and his desk in the country.  There is likely something here."

Talk of the witch medallion attracted Ablemarle's interest at once.  "Oh really?  The Dark Continent? I must see it at once ... though do not touch it.  Have your darkie maid bring it here on a piece of cloth.  It could be dangerous," she cautioned.

“I must buy a bottle too, I want to play that prank on someone also.” Darlene grinned.

“Yes he did have a strong spirit, that is probably how he lived so very long.” Nodding she thought of the kindly old Duke.  She’d been genuinely fond of him, and he’d been awfully nice to her. “I would not mind if he wanted to communicate with me, for I miss him still. He told the finest stories, and I learnt far more about the civil war than I ever imagined I would.  He used to worry there would be another civil war did you know?”

But probably she did. Probably the old Duke had worried about that with most everyone he knew.

“I don’t think I am in danger though.  Can I be there too, when the Count tries to summon William, ah, His Grace?

At the mention of secret hiding places, Darlene looked around the room.  “Shall we look?” it seemed the most logical thing to do, and perhaps what Elizabeth had hoped for all along.

“There could be something hid in one of the pieces of furniture, he told me that they were excess to his house you see.” This was not actually the first time Darlene had hunted for a secret location. “Or perhaps it’s in the walls themselves. Look this is how you do it.” She moved to one of he walls and knocked on it. “You have to listen to see if there is something odd about the sound. Perhaps there is a secret room.”  Heather had a secret room, Louis and Darlene had helped her look for it (though they had gotten a little distracted along the way.)

“It’s up in my room.” She said of the carved stick from the old woman, “we could go up and take a look, and while at it hunt for secrets in there too.”  She rapped upon another bit of wall that sounded mostly like a wall should.  

"I forget the name of the perfume but there is a shop along the Strand that has it.  My maid will inform yours,"the Duchess pledged.  The less talk about the lilac perfume, the better.

"Men always worry about wars and civil wars," she sighed dismissively.  "They love them so."

"Yes, we need five to conduct the seance, one each for the tips of the pentagram.  With you we have three, and we will need two more.  My sister Frances could be one but she is so full of self-pity that she would hardly do I think.  My sister Margaret is next, and due to debut this season, but all she thinks about is the lord she shall marry."  She sighed again, obviously not one to empathize with her sisters.  "Perhaps you know two that can be discreet and open to the truths of the veils of death?"

The search was set to begin and Elizabeth was eager, rising quickly to her feet and joining Darlene knocking on walls.  "This shall be fun," she exclaimed.  Where shall we go next?  The walls or the furniture?"

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene had an enemy or two that deserved a fragrance such as that, and her repressed-but-pleased smile might say she was definitely going to buy some. 

Of men and wars: "I think it makes them feel important. Thomas was never so pleased with himself as when he had a wrong to write. And in com[pare when everything was good with the world he was listless and.. well just terribly bored I suppose."

"So your Christopher is the same also?" Darlene would not have guessed that, but then she hardly knew the man. As long as she'd known the couple, and it had been a number of years, they'd had possibly two actual conversations, and those had been awkward and brief. 

"Ooo, a pentagram." her eyes flared, that sounded very exciting, a rival for the voodoo even, which fascinated her ever since she'd been to Jamaica.  "Yes I can find two more, and I agree definitely not your Frances, she is such a miserable sort. Do they have to be ladies?" 

But the fun of hunting for a secret hiding place begun. "Well the Duke gave me the furniture too, perhaps there is a secret compartment in a draw?" Moving to the small writing desk Darlene pulled out the first draw and emptied it's contents (so as to inspect the draw itself).  "Oh and Elizabeth, don’t worry about any mess, my servants love this sort of thing!" Darlene, and ever gracious hostess, reassured.

"War brings them honor and honor makes them look better.  Battle to men is like cosmetics to us ladies, and they call us vain creatures," Elizabeth growled.  Perhaps she was not so mad after all.  "Our cosmetics do not kill people or send them home maimed."  It was clear she had no love for war.

"Christopher is not suited to ... war."  She was about to say he was really not suited to anything; but, at the last minute bit her tongue.  She had married the man because of his title and the renown of his father, the great General Monck.  Monck, the subject of intense royal gratitude how accumulated great wealth.  As such, her father and grandfather thought him the perfect match for her.  They had not been married too long but Elizabeth had not been able to produce an heir for him, a matter for which she blamed him.  "Methinks he is content to play at soldier rather than die as a soldier."

"It need not be ladies," she clarified.  "But I need two discreet persons.  How can I trust either my father or mother at this contact with grandfather?  Chris thinks Count Forensi is a fraud, just trying to take our money.  I might try Margaret, but she will tell mother.  I do not trust many of the ladies at court," she confessed.  "They are jealous of me mostly.  The gentlemen want to know me to influence me with my husband or my father.  No one thinks I have a mind of my own and understand that there is more here than balls and banquets.  We are on the cusp of scientific and supernatural breakthroughs the world has never seen before.  You seem to be one of the only few that truly understand.  So, I must think on the other two.  I could have two of my servants I suppose."

Going to the writing desk, Darlene pulled out the first drawer, its contents of quills, parchment and inkpots falling to the floor.  The butler cried out, expecting an inkpot to spill ink on the carpet and make an impossible stain.  Fortunately, it did not.  "Have a care m'lady!" he cried as he went in search of a towel just in case.

The drawer was empty with nothing unusual to it.  Yet, when she flipped it over, the underneath of the drawer had a hidden pouch with what appeared to be three letters.

Thomas had become quite important in Jamaica on account of his work in the seas, so she understood just what the Duchess meant. 

"Yes it does.” Darlene agreed sadly of men’s attraction to warring. Though she would not have compared it to makeup, it worked well enough.  “They dress up in their uniforms and strut around, and yes they do look awfully appealing like that.”

Darlene has not told Elizabeth yet that she had her sights set on yet another military sort, and now was not the right time for that. 

“I suppose he has little choice.” Of Christopher she mused, “it’s expected.  Can people abdicate from Lifeguards? He might be happier doing something else, he must lament being compared to his father always.”

Of a séance Darlene had her doubts about Florenzi too, but she put those aside mostly upon account of it being very interesting stuff, and in many instances quite believable. 

“I first thought of Mistress Davina, but she’s rather proper.  But I have two more we can invite, Lord Chatham and Lady Toledo.  They are both intellectually daring like us.”

“When will it be. Oh at midnight surely. Do we have to wait for a full moon? It’s usually best.”

The hunt had barely begun, and she hit the jackpot.  “Elizabeth! Look!” Darlene had not expected to find anything so fast. “I think my hands have been guided by the spirit of your Grandfather!”

How else could you explain that.

A shiver ran up her spine, and she felt a bit queasy as she opened the pounch and discovered three old letters. “Should we even touch these? What if they are his darkest secret? Should we leave them be, out of respect.” But Darlene knew they would have to look. 

"He does have little choice," the Duchess acknowledged.  There could be no thought of abdication.

"Intellectually daring is good, but discretion is better.  The wrong person could try and ruin both of us."  It bothered her to think of what tongue-waggers might say.  "Midnight yes, but we need not wait for the full moon, but you are right that the full moon is best."

"What luck!" she exclaimed as Darlene found the letters.  Of course, if one was looking for communications, such as letters, this was the more logical place to look than hollow spots in the wall.

"Yes, yes, we must read them.  This could be his message to me," she uttered excitedly.  It might make the seance unnecessary.  She started to reach for the letters herself but Darlene could prevent her.

"Hmm, then I had best test each of them to see if they are good with secrets first."  She could guess that the gentlemen would be, for men were just like that, but Sophia as an excitable young lady might find it harder.  "Or I could make them cross their heart not to tell." 

Elizabeth was delighted too, and in her slightly bossy manner reached to take them in hand - but Darlene was too quick for her and pulled the letters away from her reach.

"I will read them to you. There, you take a seat." she instructed, all the better to keep control of these precious letters.  

Of the Dukes secrets, she new of the lady from the Inn on the moors, but these could not be about that - or could it?

Carefully she opened the first of the letters... 

If it was something too personal to William, she would invent some other words to tell Elizabeth. 

Darlene was truly inspired this day.  Perhaps William was guiding her.

Elizabeth had little leverage at the moment to insist upon seeing them herself first, even though she was related by blood and Darlene was not.  There was no reason to fight with her friend if her friend intended to read the contents aloud.  So, Elizabeth moved to a nearby chair and sat.

The first letter was short:

Your Grace,

I was honored by your letter.  It ain't every day that a mere innkeeper gets such a letter.  This inn has been in my family for three generations and I can find no records of the lady you describe, even with a near date to guide us.  It has been too many years and the records that old were burned in a fire.  I am sorry truly that I cant  be of more service.  No one round these parts knows anything of this raven haired beauty you met that day.  

God Bless,

Tom Kimble

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene's eyes skimmed the contents, at the first mention of an Inn she guessed what it was about - and reading onwards confirmed it.  William had told her about his one night love affair with the lady on the moors (well in an Inn on the Moors), it had seemed terribly romantic. Poignant. William had also told her that she resembled that unknown lady from his past.

"I do not know if you realise, but your Grandfather was a sentimental man." Darlene begun, not seeing any harm in Elizabeth's knowing this.  It was a harmless romance. There was no love child from it that might have complicated.

So it was she read the letter word for word for her friend.  There had been a time when Darlene had barely tolerated the tad-clingy Duchess, wasn’t it a curious thing that she was now counted to Darlene as her longest and most faithful friend.

"I know more of the story behind this letter, do you know it too?" she asked, in case the tale was one of those sorts the elderly man had told over and over againl. (Elderly men were prone to having favourite stories like that.) 

For the moment the other two letters were entirely forgot.

"How curious," came Elizabeth's response.  Clearly she did not understand the context.  "Why would he care about someone so many years ago?"  She was not sure she wanted to know the story, but perhaps it was a message intended for her, so she encouraged Darlene to reveal more.

"It was long time ago, I think he mentioned there was War at the time, though really, when is there not?  Anyhow, William - the Duke was passing through the Moors and stopped to spend the night at a wayside Inn. It was cold, dark, and he was alone. And inside he met a dark haired stranger, someone who was equally alone that night.  They shared an attraction, and spent the night together.  It was rare night of love, without even names exchanged - and in the morning they parted. Forever the mystery woman, or man, in the others life." 

Darlene was not sure her recounting of the tale did it justice, and looking to Elizabeth now she gave a small smile. "By the looks of this letter, it was not until many many years later that he wrote to try find out who she was.  Likley it was after his wife passed that his thoughts turned back to the mystery lady.  Your Grandfather, the Duke, liked to care. Being a widow did not suit him at all."  

She tried not to say too much - and meanwhile remembered that Elizabeth was upon the hunt for a personal message from the old man.

"I wonder if his message is not to wait till it's too late for true love?"  

Elizabeth was not a maiden captivated by stories of true love, knight, unicorns, and rainbows.  She viewed herself as too pragmatic and level-headed, even though she was well short of her 30th birthday.   Still, her grandfather was a passionate and feisty man in her opinion, so it seemed consistent with her view of him.

"I hope that is not his message to me," she sighed.  "There is no true love Darlene, not for the nobility.  Best we understand our place."  Her eyes moved to the other two letters in Darlene's hand expectantly.

"You sound like Frances." Darlene sighed at the cynical view, it was a duplicate of that aired by her younger sister (which wasn’t surprising she supposed).

"Think what you will of me, I believe in the magic of love still, even if of the social class when it's more difficult.  If you cannot have it legitimately, then in secrecy would be fine enough. Don’t tell me that you've never felt a thrill at the sight of some fellow you admire. Go on Elizabeth, tell me honestly." 

It was the look that the not-so-old Duchess gave the letters that reminded Darlene of the pair unread.  "I hardly think these ones will be so important." she said by way of validating her own romantic views. Meanwhile she might wonder if William had despaired of the extremely unromantic women in his family - and Darlene could fully belief that even from the Grave he'd wish for their reform.

"Now, lets see what it says." she opened the next one up. 

Elizabeth tilted her head as Darlene proclaimed a belief in true love.  For once, the Duchess swallowed her potential jaded response.  Could it be that she did not want to offend her friend? Perhaps she was envious.  Perhaps she had never known it and could not speak to it.  Whatever it was, she was silent .  As a brief acknowledgement, she nodded.  "I suppose some joys can only be experienced in secret."  She did not provide context further behind the statement.  Yet, she did not admit to any thrill from a gentleman, despite the invitation.

The next note was unsigned.

Hamilton is often in the company of Morgan.  He seems keen to be on an adventure against the French more than the Spanish.  He speaks not of his wife. as if a man with no ties to England.  A man like that might set sail and might never return. I await further word.

Lady Ablemarle's reply was moving, Darlene having sufficient imagination to make much meaning from them. It was not only widows who were lonely, Elizabeth's husband was perfectly alive and yet how empty was her life.

Darlene reached and squeezed the Duchesses hand.

"We have each other, what else do we even need."

Though Darlene really hoped that her life was not to become ladies tea groups, sewing circles and garden walks.

The next letter was different, pre-reading the first three words, she begun reading it out aloud straight away. It was men discussing men, how interesting could it be?

"I wonder if the 'Morgan' is Captain Morgan? Did you know I met him, when we were in Jamaica..." Darlene blinked, as she realised the letter was a report on Thomas." How had she not known instantly, what a negligent widow she was to have missed that. Hurrying on she said, "Well this one is plainly not important, lets read the next."

She realised then why Thomas had advanced so quickly in forgien politics, the Duke had kept tabs, and likly enough made the path easy for Thomas to follow on dangerous seas.  I should never have gone to Jamaica too.  Thinking of William, it was likely upset on other things too that then sent a tear down her cheek.

The letter was obviously about Darlene's husband.  Had she not gone to Jamaica to be with him?  Darlene stopped reading, a tear streaming down her cheek.  A friend would not push for details about a friend's dead husband.  Not that she was skilled at being a friend, Elizabeth could only assume that Darlene missed her husband greatly.  Forgotten in that moment was the fact that Darlene cohabitated with her grandfather while still married to that same husband.

"Is this the true love of which you speak?" Elizabeth asked awkwardly.  Then thinking the better of it, she agreed "yes the next letter."  It was clear that there was no message from her grandfather in that note.

The last was a letter from Newcastle's solicitor, John Leeds.

Your Grace,

Your letter has been received and I will keep it as a bequest at the time of your passing.  Rest assured that if Lady Hamilton has a child acknowledged by you or is pregnant at the time of your death, she will be given the estates you have identified.  If she has no acknowledged offspring of yours at the time of your death, she will be given your house on Picadilly, all contents, and if she falls upon hard times after your death, the monies set aside for her will be delivered along with the letter you have asked me to forward.

Your Servant,

John Leeds

10 Temple Way

After the last surprise, she was more careful in the pre-reading this time.  

It was a real test in her ability to keep a poker face. Good heavens, the child. For though nearly nobody knew Darlene had been pregnant a birth had been concealed in the recess, stillborn to anyone who'd know, secreted away by the few who knew the truth - and with arrangements made.  Darlene herself made sure she did not even know it's sex - or where the baby had gone. 

Sometimes she'd thought of the infant, the baby she'd felt move inside of her, but who's face she'd not looked upon. 

"This." briefly she thought of making some lie for Elizabeth. But she stopped herself. "It is more about my circumstances, and this house. It is a latter from the solicitor, if you truly wish to see, then you may, but it feels rather personal to me. I would simply say that the Late Duke Cavandish thought to look after me following my husbands neglect. If there is any message in that for you Elizabeth, then it might be to find someone who truly cares for you too."

"I know you deny it, but love is worth any pain it brings." the letter was limp in her hands, and while a part of her wondered that if she could find the baby she might claim an estate - she knew such intrigue was beyond her.  "the pain reminds us of the intensity of emotion."

Ready to answer Elizabeth’s prior question, Darlene moved to sit next to her (the letter available to the Duchess if she wished)  "I hope not. For if that was true love, then I have only the sadness of it's passing left.  Besides, who is to say there is only one true love for us each. But really, I am done with this topic. Lets talk about the seance again - plainly we shall need to go ahead, for we've not found a definitive message from your Grandfather" for you "here." 

Darlene didn’t even know where shed begin to look for the baby.  She’d always imagined it might have been a girl…

Elizabeth wondered if the contents of the letter were what her grandfather wished her to know.  Darlene announced that it contained personal information, which kept her from asking for it.  No, it is best to let her keep it private  On the other hand, everyone had wanted to know what Darlene's relationship was with Elizabeth's grandfather.  There had been whispers that Darlene was having sex with the Duke, but Elizabeth could not imagine that.  What sort of woman, married to another, would want some old man to have sex with her?  It made no sense to a duchess whose idea of duties were ingrained in her.  She preferred to think that Darlene had taken refuge with her grandfather.  Perhaps her husband was a brute.  Or, perhaps like Chris, he was a bore.  Perhaps they merely sang and played cards together.  

The letter lay there ... invitingly.  Elizabeth's hand started to move slowly towards it involuntarily.  Inches away ... only inches.  Would it reveal her grandfather's love for Darlene?  Would it say something about her or her mother?  Inches away it sat, discarded.  IT was as if Darlene was testing her in some horrible torture.  Secrets would be revealed, but at what cost?

"The seance.  Yes," she agreed while staring at the letter.  It seemed like it was a few inches closer now.  Had Darlene pushed it closer?  No.  She has not taken it away either.  Curiosity beckoned her.  Elizabeth's hand closest to the letter opened wide and then closed into a fist as an internal struggle waged within her.

"Is there anyone here at court that you would trust with your life?" Elizabeth queried.  In part it was a search for another invitee to the seance; but, she also sought to learn if Darlene had other close friends or confidantes.

Darlene had not been fully conscious of it, of this test that she put Elizabeth under - not until the other clenched her fist with strengthened resolve.  

It had been a risk, if Elizabeth read the letter she might come to hate her - but instead she proved her friendship. 

"My life?" Darlene refolded the letter as she considered the unexpected question, and drawing a slow breath realised, "Only yourself Elizabeth, you are my truest friend." and she smiled, "our friendship has been a slow and simmering thing. You are rather brave for it really, and are practically my champion. Thank you for that Elizabeth."

A quiet moment was shared, and the letters tucked back into the pouch they'd been hidden in.  Darlene would re read and think more upon them later, most particularly the authorship of the unsigned middle letter. There was a complex number of possibilities. 

"Major Whitehurst also - I would trust him. Though I doubt that he'd attend a seance, he's a very practical fellow, a skeptic by profession, we need persons who believe in the other realms fingers reaching into this don’t we. I'd hate to offend Count Fiorenzi by bringing a guest who is looking for wires and hidden figures."  

"I?" Elizabeth seemed surprised.  "I fear I am hardly a good friend."  It was a rare moment of humility for the young duchess, but one that was heartfelt.  She had little time for friends and her friends had little time for her.  She was convinced that she needed no true friends, especially because friends were, in her experience, always needy.  "But it is kind of you to say.  Really, it is the quality of friends rather than the number that matters," she offered as solace to them both.

"Whitehurst serves with Chris.  He won't do.  He would tell Chris and undo everything.  Soldiers stick together."  She thought more on the young soldier before saying "I do hope he is more amusing than my Chris."  It was a rare attempt at humor.

"There is an old gypsy I know.  She tells fortunes and has an eye for seeing things not obvious.  Maybe I invite her to the seance.  Maybe that would magnify the power to draw my grandfather's spirit.  What do you think?"

"Dont worry, I'd not realised we were best friends until now either." said with a smile, for her realisation had come as a surprise for Darlene also. 

"Oh, that reminds me." she stood and reached to pull Elizabeth to her feet (newfound familiarity being granted her upon the account of realising they were best friends) "I was going to show you the carved... ah, thing. Come, it's upstairs in my room." 

On the way up the stairs Darlene agreed, "your gypsy sounds just the thing, but be careful. You know what they say about Gypsies, they will steal your children if you don’t watch them." they said much worse about Gypsies too, but for the moment this was the only one she remembered. 

Granted access to Darlene’s room, Elizabeth might notice a lot of stray feathers around and about.  Darlene took her directly to the dresser and opened the smalls drawer.  “This is it.” She took the strangely carved piece of wood out to show.  Atop the dresser Elizabeth might also notice a shoebox with little doll like figurers in them, one of them wearing a suit of red, and another a dress of pink. An odd feather poked out of them here and there, for they’d been slightly overfilled with the stuffing.

The best friend pronouncement did seem rather sudden to Elizabeth but, given that she really had no better friends, she did not challenge anything.  Allowing herself to be pulled to her feet, the Duchess followed Darlene upstairs.  The gypsy warning was met with a nod of agreement.  "Do not let them see your jewelry box."

Darlene's bedroom looked like the scene of a pillow fight.  Things were in disarray, which caused Elizabeth to note silently that Darlene's maid must be lazy.  Most of the hired help were.

"What are these figures?  Small dolls?" Darlene had mentioned a carvy thing. Elizabeth looked closer. There must be something important about these.

"But she will be fine for a seonce, best neither of us wear any jewels though." Darlene nodded seriously in agreement.

Just as well Elizabeth had not seen her room before it had been cleaned. 

"Oh, those, they are nothing." she pulled a face, but then confessed with a sigh, "those are voodoo dolls. See that one is me, I cut some material off one of my dresses and made that one for her you see.  And the other, it is a lifeguard, not just any but a certain one actually.  I just need a lock of his hair, and then I am going to bind them together. Then I shall know we will be married, and happily. It's proper magic Elizabeth, so promise you wont tell a soul."