JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

You are in trouble Charles Whitehurst | early Tuesday morning

Darlene had punished Charles for more than a day now, and was finally ready to hear his excuses.  So she was dressed in her most seductive outfit: a typically lacy and frilly number, and with many ribbons and bows, the main point of difference being that the dress was a daring spanish red. 

She did not know if she actually liked this red dress, it had been an impulse buy later regretted, but red was said to be the colour of passion and so that was why she wore it.

Having no carriage of her own, and Charles house hardly being far down the street, Darlene stalked her way there by foot. Francis Cavandishes words were still spinning in her head.  Charles was so in trouble, even if he did not know it.

knock knock knock

Pretty even when sulking, Darlene knocked on door - bizarrely unaware that it was only six am 

• 3 weeks later...

It was an ungodly hour for anyone but the servants of an aristocrat's household ... and an officer of the Life Guard about to leave for the palace.  He had ordered the guard around the King doubled this morning.  

Charles had not slept well, worrying about all sorts of plots.  All the cold water splashed in his face could not change the tired look on his face.  Unfortunately, he did not have the luxury of time to sleep away the morning.

His horse, Fireshot, had been readied, as was his custom.  Cook had a warm biscuit waiting for him.  Elam had polished his boots to a shine.  Now, the soldier was set to leave.

It was then that his man announced the arrival of Darlene!  Had something terrible happened to her?  Ordinarily she would not be about at this time.  She was shown in at once and a kettle of tea was put on the stove.

Not caring who might see his affection for Darlene, he rushed to her.  His plumed hat sat on the hall table waiting for his exit.  The hat was ignored as he rushed forward to take her hands in his, a worried look on his face.  "Darlene, dearest, what has happened?  Is there some emergency?"

The urgency of the door being opened came as a surprise, as did the concern on her lover and possibly/ or probably fiancés’ face was also urgent and concerned.  For a brief moment she startled, then caught herself.  "You have good reason to be distressed Charles.  But I have decided it's time to forgive you." 

It suddenly felt a bit, odd, and like waking from a dream Darlene begun to notice that he was very fresh from sleep and possibly it was quite a bit earlier than she thought it was.

But she could not apologise now, not when it was his apology she'd arrived for. 

"There!" she stated and drew a choked emotional breath, just an instant before bursting into tears. 

She announced he had good reason for distress, playing into a momentary fear that villainy was afoot; but, just as quickly, she announced that she was forgiving him.  Perhaps it was the early hour or perhaps it was the Earl's challenge in understanding the female mind, a look of utter confusion sprang to his face.  Her tears amplified his concerns.

"Do not cry," he whispered as he tried to take her in his arms to comfort with a hug.  "Did I do something to harm you?  If so, I apologize.  I know not what I did."  He voice was more soothing than he felt internally.  It was his job as a gentleman to soothe any distressed lady, let alone his lover and probable fiances. 

Darlene thrust into his embrace, holding him with all her strength while sobbing, "Frances said you must have been drunk when you talked of marriage, and then." she sniffed, hugging him like this was what she'd needed for days now! "and then also, you didn’t invite me to Easter Sunday dinner."

Those two things had completely ruined her weekend, she desperately wanted to be reassured now. 

"Frances who?" he replied, not knowing whether it was a male or female version of the name.  "I have never been drunk in your person," he uttered defensively, before remembering the need to be flattering always.  "Other than intoxicated with you and your person my dearest."

As for the Easter gathering, it came as a surprise.  "I invited no one," he attempted to clarify.  "My young ward claims that women in my company are immoral so I did not want to introduce you to her unexpectedly if she came home from boarding school.  Fortunately, she did not come home, so it was just Bradley and me exchanging tall tales about our life and wondering what has become of our brother William.  We spoke of the Savoyard mission too.  It was really just two brothers," he added defensively, regretting that he mentioned anything about Frances and her opinions.

"Frances Cavandish." Darlene replied, feeling a bit better for dobbing her in, though still upset because the critique Frances had given had seemed so plausible.

"It was at church, I did not tell her you name, only that... that, I thought that," tears welled again, though in her heart she knew she had to get these thoughts out.  "... that I thought you wanted to marry, but then, later, you seemed to have forgot, and not thought us to be planned to marry at all." her voice was a bit of a mumble, for it was muffled though his Lifeguard jacket. "And, I think, I think you never actually proposed. Anyhow, after talking to Frances, I wondered if it's been very stupid and imagined something was not true at all." 

As to his wards ban on women in Charles company, a part of Darlene approved (except for herself of course).  "She sounds very sensible." Darlene sniffed, though it was a side comment really, the all of her fears being upon the possible fantasy of their engagement. 

Why was Darlene speaking to Frances Cavendish?  Was not she promised to Dorset?

"Frances Cavendish knows little of marriage or me."  The good news was that she did not pick up on little Frances' dislike for lightskirts coming to visit.  Charles feared that Darlene would want to know what sort of women he had invited to dinner.  Did she know of Catherine Sedley, or not?  She did not mention the name amid her flow of tears.  That suggested she was still ignorant, though Charles prayed that she knew but decided to make no mention of it to him.

The bad news is that she was fishing for some proposal.  It was true that he had not asked her.  This was one of the most difficult moments a gentleman could ever face.  There was no way out, not that he was necessarily seeking one. In a desperate moment, he grabbed what inspiration he could for a lady like Darlene, who he was beginning to know better.

"Of course I have not proposed."  He had to pretend it was conscious.  "I got married once in a horrible way.  I wanted us to be different.  Somehow it needs to be done in a special way in a special moment, somehow worthy of our love.  I am not the most romantic of men, but a lady that craves love letters is worthy of more than a single question on bended knee in a routine moment.  I am still working on it, if truth be told.  All of these murders and assassination plots have distracted me.  In fact, I need to be at the King's side this morning, given the murder at the palace yesterday."  He hoped this might explain why he was fully dressed and on his way out of the house. 

“And you weren’t drunk like she said.” Darlene sniffed, "Frances Cavendish is such a misery, she’s not even interested in what she’s going to wear at her wedding. I’m not sure if I’ll even go now, even if she is my cousin.” 

The Cavandish family tree was a bit strained by this claim, but there was a connection upon account of her brother James marrying Gracie St John.

Darlene did not pick up on negative possibilities when it came to Charles, in her eyes he was most honourable – why would she suspect him of anything improper.  “I just got rather upset of what she said to me Charles.” As she begun to calm she was able to admit, “and it sounds like you should have invited me then.”

But he had not. Just as he had not (Charles confirmed) proposed. 

Which was a new sort of upset, but she tried not to let it show. Still it was very confusing because she thought he had, and, why had she thought that if he hadn’t.  They had talked a whole lot about marriage and what they’d want from each other, she was sure of it, a proposal was implied.  

Letting go of her cling, she nodded as she rearranged her thoughts.

"Oh. I must have misunderstood.”  She did hate it when she felt truly stupid. Not to say she didn’t love silly tricks and games. But, she hated to be actually stupid about things – which was a very different and at all enjoyable.

“So, you do love me?” He’d not quite said that either, but implied it by talking of ‘their love’.  But implied was different to said. Did she want to learn he didn’t actually say he loved her either?  “No, don’t answer - it’s alright.”

Drawing a deep breath Darlene wiped her eyes. It sounded like he might one day propose, but it definitely was not any time soon, he was thinking about it.  “A murder? That doesn’t sound good. Yes, yes, I see you are ready to rush. Ah. Ah I didn’t mean too waylay you from the Kings command. But thank you for stopping, to talk.” She managed to say without her voice shuddering too much.  And managed to give him a glassy eyed smile.  “You better hurry Charles, they need you.”

Charles had half expected Darlene to propose the exact setting and gift she expected when the momentous day would come.  It was a dangerous game to play with her.  She might want him to fire a cannon volley or something similar.  She would like that.  Maybe he could work in a cannon.

Darlene was oddly unsure in that moment.  Charles had never known her to be unsure about anything.  "Of course I love you!" he assured her quickly.  "We are meant for one another."  Had not she written him a letter saying that he was to marry her, even when she was married to Thomas herself?  It was almost as if she expected him to be gone soon.  That seemed odd but for a moment.

Further assurances needed to wait.  The Duke wished to see him.  "Yes, they need, me" he agreed to Darlene,  Taking her hands briefly in his hands "he whispered "not as much as I need you."  It was the kind of things he was certain ladies liked to hear, especially when they were timid and glassy eyed.  "Till later."

With that, he moved to see which gentleman the Duke had sent and moved to head for the palace.

Time and experience had changed them both - Charles was not as acquiescent as he'd once been, and she was not as sanguine. 

Never the less he said he loved her, and while Darlene regretted having prompted it, it was still nice to hear.  "Meant for each other like milk and cookies." she smiled, aware that there was still much to think about. 

But for now her busy Lifeguard was swept up in some sort of adventure, and had already stopped too long to talk.  "Good luck." she wished, and gave a kiss good bye, while his romantic farewell caught a lump in her throat.

It was a quiet walk back to her house further down the street, dawn was finally brightening the sky. 

She was sure that they could be happy together, but who knew when that might ever be. Her mind, which was not designed for serious or prolonged thinking, could only think that she needed to leave him be till he might decide. And until then, she needed to try stop pinning her hopes on him.  For she was already 20, which according to Frances Cavandish was practically out to pasture.  The only thing she truly knew was that she could not face many more months alone. 

• 1 month later...

(OOC - In retrospect, I should have let y'all carry on a bit longer, but I wanted to halt CW before he went too far ahead of the murder in the timeline and the York thing was set up in an earlier thread so it seemed the natural place to bump in. As it is, CW is too early in Monday to move to York yet, sorry guys! I hadn't thought it would take this long 😄 )

• 2 months later...

Accepting her kiss farewell, Charles could only hope that Darlene was reassured.  His life was become complicated with various adventures and demands on his time.  Perhaps things would calm in a week or three.

Before taking his leave, the Earl took the letter that was on the silver plate in the hallway.  That plate was intended for time urgent requests, as opposed to ordinary correspondence.  It had likely sat there since the day before since he had been away all day.  He would find some time to read it at the palace he imagined.

If York wanted to see him, it would be about the Savoyards no doubt.  He had little to report in that regard, having left the matter largely to his brother.  He would need to spin a better tale than what was fact.  He would have a few minutes to do so on the way to the palace.