JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Lord Mountjoy, F. Von Bruhl, & Sir George L | By hand Sunday

Each gentleman would separately receive a message by one of Brooke's servants inviting them to ride early on Wednesday morning. The letters were mostly the same but tailored just a bit for each gentleman.

After salutations, Lord Mountjoy received the following:

I hope that Easter will find both your lordship and Lady Mountjoy exceedingly well. Following  our discussion of horses, I conceived that perhaps Wednesday morning would be a good time to ride. I will put the same to Sir George and also to F. Von Bruhl, who has expressed a similar exuberance for equine endeavors. Being the countryman of your lady wife, I anticipate his inclusion is an acceptable addition. We could ride out from the courtyard at Brooke House and luncheon there afterward.

Sir George received the following:

I pray Easter finds you and your family well. As the holy days end, I find my mind turned to horses and our thought to ride more frequently before His Majesty's equine events. To that end, I have asked Lord Mountjoy and a countryman of Lady Mountjoys, Von Bruhl, if they would like to join us to ride. We might then get the measure of the competition and test ourselves and our mounts thereby. The company and conversation will be quite good. I have put Wednesday morning to the others and hope that time is acceptable to you. We could ride out from the courtyard at Brooke House and luncheon there afterward.

Von Bruhl received the shortest note, not for lack of sentiment or liking, but because serving Cumberland, Beverley was quite aware that Germans were  less about frills than their French and English counterparts. Not to mention as a military man, the tendency was heightened.

As the holy days end, I find my mind turned to horses and our conversation of His Majesty's equine events. To that end, I have asked Lord Mountjoy and Sir George, if they are available Wednesday morning. I hope that time is acceptable to you and will grant you a reprieve from other duties*. We could ride out from the courtyard at Brooke House and luncheon there afterward.

*Beverley is referring to the doings of the ladies as they were speaking about Lady Agnes and Lady Beverley when they were speaking about horses ;)

The notes ended with his typical valedictions and well-penned signature, sealed and sent with servants from the house to their various recipients.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The following day a response was received from Mountjoy who was not noted for being brief.

On 11/8/2020 at 2:52 PM, Hope said:

My Dear Lord Beverly,

Thank you kindly for your felicitations which I heartily return to you and Lord Brooke. Indeed Lady Mountjoy and I are well and in fine sprits at the close of this Holy season. I am delighted to receive your invitation to ride and the inclusion of Sir George and F. von Brühl only increases my anticipation. This Wednesday morn shall find me eagerly awaiting, in the courtyard of Brooke House, the pleasure of your company and the hospitality of your house afterwards for luncheon.

Until that time I have the honor to be,

Your most obt. serv.

Mountjoy