JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Grey and Gaunz... the meet | April 5th, start of business

The little shop was one of those where the master lived above. At least it had been, until Master Gaunz had built the larger house behind and let the rooms above the shop to his senior apprentice. The shop itself was quite what one expected of a London jeweller and goldsmith, with gleaming polished wood and Chinoise silk panels on the wall. The panels were undoubtedly expensive, but there were not so many of them as to make it ostentatious. A dark-haired reed of a young man stood behind a case displaying pins and brooches. A far burlier fellow worked near the door, polishing the woodwork and trying to appear invisible.

Within the workroom, beyond the public area of the shop, the proprietor worked tirelessly upon his latest commission. August clients would receive the master's personal assistance. He was a thin fellow, dressed in merchant's attire of a very dark blue, with a jade cravat tied at his throat. He had a notable beaked nose and he was of an age that his eyes crinkled at the corners when he smiled, which, being of a generally congenial disposition, he often did.

It was at the earliest business hour that a black berline stopped in front of the shop and a gentleman dressed in slightly out of fashion finery alighted from the vehicle. The coachman and footman, in Grey livery, remained outside, while Henry entered the shop quickly. The shop had no sign in front, so it had taken some asking passers-by where it was, and not all of them had been cheery in their directions towards “that good for nothing Jew’s shop… the pox on him!”

The baron approached the dark-haired young man standing behind the case with quick strides, as if time were in short supply, and introduced himself simply. “I am Lord Grey, and Sir Isaac Newton suggested I speak to Master Gaunz. Are you he?”

The youngster did not seem to be old enough to be a master at the craft of enamel, but there were prodigies, like Newton, whose age belied their expertise at their chosen field.

It was for those good reasons that Gaunz did not advertise with a sign, and also the fact that he did not want to attract the interest of thieves and miscreants. Jewellery shops did not only hold Jewellery, their vaults were used my many a persons for the storage of money and valuables. 

"No sir." even as the young man made his reply Grey might notice the elder figure standing (visible through the open door between shopfront and work room).  The lad turned and hollered "Mr Gaunz! Someone to see you!"

Frowning the alderman moved onto the shop floor, "You are due for your break Benjamin."  he shooed the young man out, he'd have words with him later about that unseemly performance! 

"I believe I heard you mention Mister Newton?" to Grey he then spoke with calm assurance, "I am the Isaac Gaunze you seek, how may I be of service."

The boy was not the man Henry sought, but quickly saw to it that Mr. Gunz appeared. The manner of it was a little… loud, but commoners were often so, the natural philosopher thought, especially the young ones.

“I am Lord Grey”, Henry introduced himself to the jeweller with a polite nod, “and Sir Isaac recommended you, and I quote verbatim, ‘a more dependable fellow you’d be hard pressed to find’. He said you were a very discreet jeweller that happened to own an enamel furnace”.

If Gunze truly knew Newton, he would recognize the speech pattern in the recommendation.

“I am in need of a furnace to make lenses for astronomical telescopes. I have studied glassmaking in Venice and Bohemia, although something tells me I could learn much from a man such as yourself too. I am no jeweller, nor do I intend to become one, but I do need to make lenses”.  The fact that the man was a Jew hinted at his expertise. The question was if Gunz would be willing to teach Henry some of his trade secrets.

“I would be willing to pay for the use of your furnace, of course, and a bit more for your assured discretion, and that of your employees”. It was better to state such things plainly.

Looking at the cravat pins and brooches on display, the baron added, "I am also looking for a few choice pieces of jewellery, as I have to take my seat in the House of Lords today, and I do not have anything suitable..."

The man of quality introduced himself: a Lord.

“I am flattered by such a high recommendation.” Said Gaunz, “though it has been a small age since I have seen him in person. He is a ‘Sir’ now is he, how about that.”

The tone of voice might indicate that their prior relationship was personal and not business, and that personal tone was now transferred to Grey.

“I indeed have a small furnace. But will it be large enough for your purpose. Please, step through to the workshop and see.” In a movement he lifted a hinged section of the counter, and allowed Grey to step through. 

“No need to make a purchase to garner my assistance Lord Grey,  let us first see if my furnace is up to your requirements, and we can then move on to setting any terms.   As for the discretion of my employees, don’t let young Benjamin’s manner deter you, he is sworn to secrecy of anything that goes on between these four walls.  You shall appreciate I am certain, that discretion is any jewellers middle name, and mine particularly.”

“Watch your head.” These low doors.  Ducking they walked through to the next room.

OOC: I’ll work up a description next post! (need to a little research first – my own use of an enamel kiln was over a decade ago, and electric!  >.<)

“Yes, he was granted baronetcy by the king, for his scientific work. Well deserved, I must say. The man is brilliant”. There was sincerity in Henry’s voice. “As for the size of the furnace, I do not need something too big…” The lenses the baron needed first were the lenses for a telescope’s eyepiece, which would not be larger than two inches, and that thinking big. "I am not going to craft lenses for the telescope at Greenwich... at least not yet".

When asked to move to the next room, Lord Grey smiled and nodded. It was an auspicious beginning. “Actually, I am just being expedient. I need to make lenses, and I need to purchase jewellery. Since time is a scarce commodity for me today, I thought I could do both. Even if your furnace does not suit my needs, Sir Isaac’s recommendation is enough to warrant a purchase or two from your store, Mr Gunz”.

The jeweller was a likeable fellow and spoke candidly on his craft’s need for discretion. Newton had made a great recommendation. As a means to make small talk, the baron had meant to ask how the man and Newton had met, but he decided not to after all the talk about secrecy and such.

Henry ducked as told, to avoid hitting his head. He was then treated to a very interesting sight, the jeweller’s workspace.

"With great diligence comes great success," was Gaunz' approving comment on that. Plainly he too had a high opinion on Newton, which was hardly surprising was there anyone in existence with a word against?!

"Ah, well in that case what I have might be perfect for your task." Bobbing heads they went through to the work room; which was primarily a group of tables; the ones nearest the doors having small curtains around them that might be pulled or opened for greater light or discretion.  Along one walls was a higher bench for working at while standing, with a number of device bolted to it; contraptions along the lines of grinders and sawing jigs, each of these surprisingly big given the usual scale of a jewellers work.  There was no clue to where the mans safe vault might be; and whatever he'd been working on prior to Greys arrival was laying concealed beneath a piece of chamois. 

"Though over here."  he navigated Grey though the work room and through a second door to a much small room. This one held a very recognisable open furnace, currently cold, that was solid built and next to a door that might be open.  Next to the large furnace was a smaller doored furnace.  "It's a good little machine, passed down to me by my father. Takes a while to come up to temperature, but once there easily maintained. What sort of temperatures are you looking at reaching?"  

Gaunze was a first things first fellow, no doubt he’d show Grey a range of male jewellery later.  

It was good that Gaunz liked Newton so. It would help their working relationship start with the right foot.

The workshop’s setup was notable. The devices on the high bench were particularly noteworthy. Even though Lord Grey had his own tools, the grinders in particular could prove useful. “A question Mr Gaunz: do you have spare space here that I could lease? I currently reside at The Red Lion, and it is just too cramped to work there. I do have my own instruments, although your bench there I'd love to have access to”.

Henry then followed the jeweller into the furnace room. Both the larger open and smaller closed furnaces would do. The first, to mix and melt, and the second to cool things down slowly so they would not crack. The smaller one could see some other uses too, as it would be able to maintain even temperatures.

“Temperatures? I would say I won’t be needing temperatures higher than the melting point of sterling, although I may be wrong. I have been working with both flint glass and crown glass, but my experiments are far from complete. The fact that temperature can be maintained in the closed furnace, and even lowered slowly, is definitely an advantage for what I need… it will reduce the chance of cracks appearing inside the lenses as they cool down”*

* Since our current temperature scales were not invented until much after our time period, I approximated the necessary heat to something Gaunz would know.

"Hmm, well there is a further option. It is rumored around London that a glass furniss has been built in at Dulwich, at the Boyle Art institute out there." the man commented. 

OOC: I would not usually mentioned something ref my own PC, but this is something Chichester has been working on since Aug '67, so I think it would be common knowledge. 

“A glass furnace, you say. At Dulwich? I will investigate the rumour, definitely. Do you know who had the furnace built?”. It was indeed an interesting rumour to pursue. “Meanwhile, I would prefer to go for the sure thing and use yours, if possible”.

It was one thing to move equipment from The Red Lion to Gaunz’s shop. It would be much more complicated to move it to Dulwich. The time required to supervise it would perhaps be found off-season, but not at that point in time.

Besides, those tools Gaunz has look very interesting. Looking at the jeweller in the eye, Henry asked, “so, what terms would you find acceptable, Mr Gaunz?”

I really need a place to work. Night and weekend noise levels at the inn are driving me crazy!

Gaunze nodded. "The problem being that my space here is limited, the nature of my business does not require a large amount of room. Yet as you see, the laws of physics dictates that any space available is filled!" this latter was a joke. 

Gaunz shop was a narrow and long space divided as Henry had seen into three rooms. The front with access to the street. The middle work room. Then this smallest back room with it's access to the back alley. Upstairs was his accommodation (and storage).    "I am happy for you to use the furnace of course, but as for a permanent workshop, we just have not the room.” The Furnace area measured approximately 7x15 foot.  

"That said, I have a client, a reputable fellow, who holds a portfolio of real estate. Mr Jorgensen, you may have heard of him. I have his card under the front desk, I'll fetch it out before you leave. You might see if he has a space suitable to your longer term needs."   

"As for the use of the furnace, what sort of times are you looking at?"    He was unable to supply further information on the new glassworks at Dulwich.  

He chuckled at the jeweller’s joke. “I agree. Nature does abhor emptiness”. It did put Henry in a bit of a bind, though. He really needed more space! Perhaps a whorehouse would rent me a room or a set of? If anyone would provide whatever the client requested, for the right price of course, would be a house of pleasure.

At least the furnace is available. That is a step in the right direction.

But then, a light. “Mr Jorgensen, you say? And you consider him reputable? Yes, that would be very kind of you, Mr Gaunz”. Perhaps leasing space long-term on his own would be best. “As for using the furnace, I’d use it when it is not inconvenient to you. The hours before sunrise would be my preference, although working some nights might be warranted”.

There were a few details to agree on still, but it seemed that a deal would be struck.

A whorehouse might rent him a room, but the per hour rate might be too exorbitant!  Still, if he got desperate, that was certainly an option.    

“Yes he’s got a number of properties he leases out his own, and also acts as an agent for others.  He is entirely reputable." said he, and then through to add, "Don’t be put off by his own living arrangements.” 

As to the furnace.  “Well that sounds rather less of an inconvenience, and more of an advantage for us actually. We would start the day with the coals already heated, making our own work more expedient.  Though then on the other side of that coin, we don’t use the furnace every day, and so more fuel will be being used…” he was thinking out loud, trying to figure a fair deal that would be agreeable to them both.  

What say you have free use of the furnace area outside of traing hours, via it’s access from the back street, in return for the wood bins being kept filled.  I shall keep the door between my work room and the furnace room locked outside of my trading hours, this is not out of any distrust for you, but as a consieration for my clients whom entrust me with their valuables for storage. You shall have your own key for the back door of course.”    

“I will call on Mr. Jorgensen, then”. Gaunz’ last comment was puzzling, though. He was saying the real estate agent was reputable, but also that his own living arrangements were… exactly what?

The jeweller’s offer was more than fair. There was no way Henry would get a furnace on such short notice anywhere else, much less for the price of… firewood? That was an acceptable deal. “You have made yourself a deal, Mr. Gaunz. I will make it a point to make sure the bins are kept full. And your privacy requirements are much like my own, so I have no problem with that. In fact…”

A thought occurred to Lord Grey. “Would you mind if an additional lock is installed? One only you and I have the key for? It would add an additional layer of security, don’t you think? Your lock would stay in place, of course”. Security was important to both men, after all.

With the furnace deal done and over with, it was time to do other sort of business. “Now, Mr. Gaunz, would you mind showing me some of your work? I need to look presentable at my first session of Lords…”

More locks was more locks! "Well certainly!" 

Gaunze could see that this would be a agreeable relationship. 

"Certainly sir..." his voice reverted to his sales tone now, as leading Henry to the front he drew out the small section of 'spec' items he kept at the counter.  "Most of my business is custom orders, but I have a few 'ready made' you might call them, ideal at short notice as gifts etcetera..."   There were several items that might suit Henry's needs, and over the next quarter of an hour he was able to try various pieces on with a mirror there to view himself in. 

At the end of it all, Gaunze almost forgot! 

"Here is that card!" he clicked his tongue at himself, the gentleman had almost needed to remind him of it. That surely would not have done!  Offering Jorgensen’s card to Henry, he added, "do please convey him my best wishes, and... here," he rummaged in the top draw and pulled out two more tiny velvet drawstring bags, "a little gift for his girls."  Those bags being just like the one he'd placed Henrys own purchase in. But in their instance, quite empty.

Mr Jorgensen ~ No.42 The Stand

OOC: When you are ready to visit him, have your pc discover a Butchershop at that address, and we'll take from there.  But for now, I think we are finished with this thread. Well played! 

Gaunz agreed to the additional lock readily, which made Henry smile. The man took things seriously.

The ready-made pieces that Gaunz showed him were of excellent quality. There were some that were too garish for Henry, but there were a couple he liked very much. The first was a pendant with sapphires, pearls and polychrome enamel set on silver, which spoke of restrained wealth. The second was a breast pendant in sequile style, with rose-cut diamonds and blue and white enamel also set on silver. Two matching cravat pins were also chosen after some deliberation, and the baron called it a happy purchase. “Perhaps we could talk about a commission later on in the season. Meanwhile these will do, I think”.

Then the card was received, and the pair of velvet drawstring bags, plus his purchase. “I will make it a point to give the bags to them, Mr Gaunz”. It was time to leave, so Lord Grey nodded friendlily, and left the store.

OOC: much obliged for a great problem-solving thread! 😊

Edited by Henry Grey

• Hope locked this topic