JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Petitioning the Saint of Westminster | 2nd April

• #43 The Townhouse of Lady Kendishall

Located on the south corner of Picadilly, this large house seems almost out of place with the smaller town homes further up the block. Likely it is because it predates the development of Pall Mall and St. James Square.

Though the house shows signs of age from its Tudor origins, the walled grounds of two acres are well maintained, with a nice garden in back. There is an entry gate to the front, and a gate in the rear to the stables. A military man might appreciate the security of the perimeter.

The house has 3 levels plus an attic. The ground level hosts a small ballroom, parlor,dining room and study. The second floor hosts a masters BR, Missus BR, and a guest room. The third floor has three guest rooms, with the servants sleeping in the attic.

One brave lad, age 7 or 8, with hat pulled off and scrunched in his palm - knocked on the door.  Meanwhile half a dozen more were out on the street stood on whatever they could find to be able to peer over the wall to watch how it went. The breaths of one and all were held. 

After a bit, though certainly it must have seemed like an age, the door opened and there stood a short middle aged maid. She peered down at the imp with stern visage.

"I say...what do you want, lad?"

Even as she asked she looked past him to see if an adult was present. Clearly there was not.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

"Good morning mam." the boy delivered a ninety degree bow to the woman who answered the door.  "Sorry I come to the front door." he bunched his nose with that appology, "but it's front to see the lady."  

"I was hoping to see the Saint of Westminster, Mark and Tony told us this was where she was living, and... we need her help with a problem."  Earnest spoken and presented the lad drew a big breath about to say more... though his eyes darted beyond the doorframe wondering of what his chances were of seeing the great lady.  

The household servant was confused for a moment by the lad's answer. He wanted to see her employer? Wait, did he just call her a saint? That brought an amused grin to her face.

"I can assure you, boy, that there are no saints living in this place," she chuckled.

"I am not about to let you inside so best you tell me what this is all about and I will go inform his ladyship of your request," she renewed her more stern gaze.

"This is the wrong house?" the lad's first instinct was to run! He turned and looked towards the front hedges, his beady eyes looking for his friends and a clue to what he should do next?  He took a step back, and then another, "we must have got the address wrong, this is where Mark and tony told us." 

It was plain as day that he was getting ready to bolt. 

"Wrong house? What house are you looking for, lad? This is the residence of Baroness Kendishall, Lady Despanay," the woman replied.

Suddenly from deeper within the place came a female voice, "I say, who are you talking to anyhow?"

Before the servant woman could answer the speaker had entered the room could now see for herself. Caroline was quite the sight, she was covered by a robe loosely tied and anyone observant would probably ascertain she was naked underneath that robe, she did not even have slippers on but had padded in barefoot. Her usually immaculately put up hair was hanging down and could use a combing. Seemingly she had just woke up.

"And who is this scamp? I might be hung over but I am certain I did not arrange for a date today with someone this young," she declared teasingly.

And there she appeared - dressed in saintly robes and barefoot as Jesus in the wilderness.  "It's you!" snatching off his cap and clutching it to chest, the youngster dropped to knee, "Your merciful honourableness please take pity upon my miserable soul! Amen"   

Had the lad known that the lady he reverently entreated did not even attend Sunday service, would he have behaved any differently?    

Caroline stood there a mix of bemusement and confusion as to what exactly this imp was going on about? Meanwhile her servant woman merely smiled, wondering how on earth this child came to believe her employer was any sort of a saint.

"Get up for heaven's sake," Caroline reached down to make certain he did even if he was reluctant to, taking hold of one of his upper arms.

"What are you babbling about? And what is wrong with your soul? I want answers, young man and I want them now, you hear?"

Caroline was not actually angry with the boy but she figured such a tack might well work since he seemed so in awe of her for some ungodly reason. Was he here on the behest of those other two street urchins, Mark and ....ummm, oh yes Tony?

Dragged to feet by an arm, this scruffian twisted to look behind (looked towards the hedge - had anyone seen that? - embarrassing!) and scrambled to regain his feet. 

"M'am everyone knows you saved Mark from going to jail, everyones calling you the Saint of Westminster since that. We know you aren’t like, an actual angel. But you are the goodest lady that gives a damn! Aw, pardon my French milady. And my soul, well I'll be finding out soon enough if it's the other place I’m headed for.  Threats to kill us is that he's made, there aint no-one who can work under that sort of stress. We need help! We need you!" 

Once he was to his feet the urchin now decided to start talking and it came out of him in a rush too. The maid was horrified to hear him use a curse word. True she had heard her husband use it and also her employer too but this was a mere child. Caroline only smirked.

"That is not French, lad, I speak French," she assured him with a smile. Her smile ended though by the time he was done, for what he had just babbled certainly sounded serious enough.

"What? Slow down. Someone threatened to kill you? You and others? Does this person have a name? " she frowned.

"Ok. Dutch then." The kid replied quick as a tack, his eyes having brightened for a moment at the ladies reply.  

But then it was back to the serious stuff.  "If I tell you his name he's going to kill me for sure." it was one of those real tricky sorts of situations.  "It's just not moral. It's one thing to pick here and there, maybe slice a pocket, that's just business, give a little take a litle, it all goes around right, that's our livelihood. But this other thing, it's just repree, reprah,  rrr... just not right mam. And some people ought to know better."  

Caroline sighed, it seemed she was going to have to drag every drop of information out of this child. It was morning and this vexed her already hung over self.

"Well, then why did you come here? If you will not tell me who this person is, how in heaven can I be expected to do anything about it? Just what do you want of me?" she prodded.

"Oh and I believe the word you are looking for is  'reprehensible'," she added.

The lad in fear for his life was cautious. Likely Caroline had never been in his situation,  so had no idea of how frightening it was.  He had to trust her, but with only her fabled repute to give him any assurance. So he spoke little pieces of information, bit by bit, testing the ground, it might be a long while yet till he would hand over completely his total trust (and with his is very soul!) 

She sighed her impatience, he frowned and looked at the ground, shoulders slumping.  "I have no idea how or even if you can help." he mumbled.  "I'm sorry I bothered you milady. Yes, reprehensible is the word." did he have to give up? Yes possibly.  in the smallest voice he whispered, "It's the vicar."       

"Well, child, if you tell nothing more about all this mystery then indeed you will have bothered me for nothing. So.." Caroline paused when the lad finally uttered a truly shocking answer.

"The vicar?"  He was accusing a man of the church? What was going on here anyhow?

"This vicar - what is is his name? And why would he wish to kill anyone least of all some small boys?" she knelt down now to get to more his level and took him by both upper arms to get him to focus on her and only her as their eyes met.

"I cannot protect you unless I know the whole story. But I assure you, if you tell me the truth, he shall not lay any hands on you," she promised.

This lad fairly quaked in her hold, frightened eyes looked everywhere else before finally coming to look directly into hers.  "His name is Reverend Wilkes, milady, from St. Matthews on Friday Street, and he wants us to hand over everything we've, err, worked for, give it all to the Church. Or he'll have us hanged.  But we know he actually means he'll keep it for himself. It's not right milady. Can you help us?" 

Well, Caroline had never heard of this Reverend Wilkes, but then in truth she did not exactly make any real efforts to mingle with clergy for a wide variety of reasons, mostly though because she did not like their sort. But this one was quite the villain it seemed. Still, she realized she could not be rash about this. It might well not be as this child states. Children were often not to be relied on to get things right. Or the scamp could be playing her for the fool in the hopes of heading off just punishment for his misdeeds from this man of the cloth?

"How do I know this is all the truth, lad? I need more proof before I can confront this Wilkes. Or deal with him in other ways....depends on how I approach this matter. But you take me not for a saint but a fool if you think I will suddenly swallow this tale of yours without some sort of proof," she calmly pointed out.

"Proof?" well there was a problem.  "I've got no proof milady, just what I heard from his own lips to my own ears.  What sort of proof do you need?"

The youth certainly looked perturbed. 

"All I can give you is my word, it's the truth. I'd not take you for a fool. I've nothing to gain from telling you this if it were not true, only my neck saved if you can help."   

Well, while the boy certainly seemed genuine enough in his worry, he wasn't quite totally convincing in that he no reason to stretch the truth. He could  have indeed been caught stealing or his friends the same and now was trying to come up with a way to wiggle out of it by enlisting a champion. Still, she was not willing to dismiss him outright, not given the possible consequences should he be telling the truth.

"You make a point lad. Very well............let me think ....." Caroline paused to gather her thoughts, come up with an idea.

"Very well, tell me this. How was this so called hand over supposed to happen? Perhaps you could agree to give him some of your lads' booty and do it in a place where I might overhear the conversation whilst in hiding?"

She really wanted to see this vicar in person and in action. Get a better idea of the quality of the opposition was it were. Her soldier father always said a good soldier never simply blunders into an unknown foe. The more you know about your enemy the better for you.

Her question was a good one.  Unfortunately she was far cleverer about how to handle a blackmail than the boy.  "I don’t know mam, we was so anxious about it we did not make a date.  We, did to want to do it you see." he frowned having to think how to ive her the evidence she wanted.   "We could do it at church then. But once we give him everything, we’ll have nothing. We’ll be in the same position we hoped you could help us avoid." 

Caroline was requiring him to put a lot of trust in her. Would the boys really hand over everything so that Caroline could get her 'evidence'.  And did that mean they'd get their stuff back?  And did that mean that the Priest would go to jail or something, and would not be at the same con again the next week. 

"No, lad, not all of it. Wait...........how much did you take anyhow?" she suddenly wondered if they'd assembled a huge unwieldly haul of ill-gotten loot.

"If you did not make an appointment with this vicar, then how did he plan for you to hand over this stuff? It would be rather humiliating for him if you suddenly came up to him in public or during a church service and said  'here is the stuff you demanded'. Tell me more exactly what he did say then? I do not understand how all this was going to work," Caroline pressed.

"I must know if I am to deal with this man, trap him," she sweetened the pot.

"I don’t know." the boy was apparently no evil mastermind. 

"We'd gone to church you see, one of the lads thought the collection box would be an easy mark. And it was. But as we were leaving he cornered us, made us give it all back and told us that we had better give him everything else or he'd see us jailed or worse." He told the full of his story. "He didn't tell us a when by, maybe it's already too late. That was already weeks ago, you’ve not been here everything we come to knock."   

"Oh my goodness, you little devils were going to steal from God then? Cheeky of you," Caroline exclaimed but the look on her face was more amusement than horror or anger. Still, she had to say something.

"I think from here on in, stay away from churches if you must take things," she now advised (for all the good it would probably do).

"Hmmm, so he only caught you with that and then demanded you give back everything else you stole then? Well, it seems to me he could have no idea what or how much you lot even have in your possession. He's simply taking a shot in the dark as it were. So he has no real idea what to expect from you lads," Caroline thought that good news.

"Now, I have an idea. But before I agree to do this, can you do two things for me? First off, you must hopefully still have some of your looting expeditions so can you bring a small - easily carryable amount of it? Secondly, are you willing to go meet this vicar again? If so, I will be there too, though I want to do it in such a way that he does not know that until I step out to greet him."

She smiled but if the boy was going to balk at her plan, she was going to then give it up as a lost cause.

• 2 weeks later...

ooc: sorry I thought I'd replied to this one >.< 

"Isnt the church supposed to give alms to the poor, we were just cutting out the middle man!"  Or at least that was the rationale that the lads had settled on - but it certainly would not hold up in court and they knew it. 

Nodding at the advice she gave, (no more thieving from the collection plate), the lady showed her cleverness in deducing that the Priest wasn’t to know how much loot to be expecting.

"And it's been a hard winter too." the lad added. 

But the rest of her idea brought a unhappy expression to his face.  "But, he's going to send us to the gallows." the unhappy boy whinged, "don’t you see, that's how he's going to cover his own thieving-from-us tracks, is by having us hanged."  he was sulking, but the look she gave him then told him plain that it was this or nothing.  He did not stop sulking still, but then added, "I suppose not all of us need to go to him, maybe just one.  Maybe Tom, he's not well anyhow, might be dead soon anyhow." 

"No, no he will not have any of you hanged. I will be there and I will confront him. I will also have my Irish bodyguard with me. I will take it from there," Caroline pointed out with emphasis.

"I mean what do you want from me? I am willing to go do this and now you are unwilling to have any of you do anything to confront this problem? I am a miracle worker."

The boy was making it difficult alright.

Her assurances helped, also her promise of the body guard attending too.  The boy had seen how tough that man looked!  He looked across at that man now, and then turned back to the lady. Straightening up , he felt a bit braver.  "All right milady, I'll do it." 

"Good lad! Now we at least have a plan! It merely remains to decide when this meeting will occur then. That will be up to you boys and your vicious vicar, I cannot meddle in that. I want my first appearance to be the first time he knows someone else is involved in all this," Caroline beamed.

"And think of this, lad, you will be a hero amongst all your street friends. You should be able to parley such merit to your benefit for quite some time I would think."

Now this was progress!

She was very optimistic of the plan, the youngster’s less certain face looked up into herself a moment longer before it too relaxed into a cautious smile.  "A hero you think? I'd like that."  

"So, I'll ah make contact and then let you know the date everything is set for." with a plain in place his mind was turning towards his waiting friends, with thoughts to telling them the news. They'd be right pleased, probably. "Er, ah, and can I have some buns ma’am too please. Mark and Tony said you have buns."  Then it would be good news all around. 

Typical beggar boy. Not content with securing her help he now asked for food too. Still, she remembered hunger as a child, when she was with her father as he had been a garrison officer at a siege. First rationing, then desperation. It was not pleasant to be hungry all the time.

"I do not have any biscuits now. And do not think I am suddenly going to be feeding the multitudes. You called me a saint, but only Our Lord could do one of those loaves and fishes miracles," she informed him.

That said, she weakened, "Well, there is an apple pie I did not finish last night at supper. I can give you that but listen to me.....I want that pie tin back. If I do not get the tin back, rest assured you will never get another scrap of food from me...ever."

Caroline was rewarded with much gratitude and an "I promise M'am!" 

Perhaps a servant or some other would later report to her of the ensuring unusual scene outside the front hedge of #43; a group of lads diving out pieces of pie (done with some heated debate on which was the largest slice!). As for the pie tin itself it was later discovered on her front step, apprantly washed clean even?

OOC: good thread!  

• Hope locked this topic