JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Ratbags at the Door | 3rd Monday Morning- Xmas 1677

Hope

#43 The Townhouse of Lady Kendishall

The town house was commissioned many years ago - and boasts a sweeping crushed drive way to expedite the arrival of carriages with guests. And what parties have been had in this house, it's libertine reputation remains to this day.

Ivy has grown up the walls of the tall building, and a glorious display of flowers bring brightness to its sober lines. Within its grounds are intermittently placed sculptures of frolicsome scenes of nymphs at play.

Two lads from the streets of London had lingered outside the gate some long while before finally entering.  The taller one with oily black hair wearing an ill fitting seaman’s coat.  The smaller one hanging behind him, remarkable only for the battered tricorn hat askew on head, dark eyes peeking out beneath.  

*knock knock knock*  

The great door knocker resounded as grandly as if they were the finest guests.  

OOC: When I started rping here I had made up an Irish bodyguard, a former soldier of fortune from the continental wars, but I no longer can back track to find his name so my apologies to continunity but I am making up a new name now so I can continue to utilize him.

IC: A minute passed though to children it probably seemed like an eternity before the door was opened. Looking down on the boys was a grizzled older man (probably the lads would think him ancient) with shoulder length hair and somber clothing. He had the look of a commoner to be sure, not the sort to live in a place like this. For an instant he took in the sight of the 'visitors' before speaking.

"What ye want for here, boyos?"

When  the door was actually answered the pair jumped back warily (outside Thomas's arm reach)  The taller lad took a moment to muster himself... (had the younger boy nudged him? the small lad had definitely removed his hat) ... smoothing his hand over grubby hair, the elder cleared his throat to talk.

"Er... good morning your magnificence, I hope all your christmases are wonderful, and new years too..." the lad layed it on, hoping not to bet booted out.  "I'm Mark, and this is my little brother Tony, and we was hoping that the pretty Lady was in today. It's about something real important. About our friend, Frances, wot she knows." 

Street scamps, gutter snipes they were but then Thomas had a soft spot for such as once when he was young he was one of them . In fact his desperate situation as a youth was the reason he first joined the army.  Least they fed you. Now as for them knowing his employer, that seemed a bit daft.

"Lady Kendishall? How the devil do ye...." he started but then they mentioned why they were here. Yes, the girl Frances, that name he knew alright. She went on about it enough. Ward or prisoner of some cur of an English army officer, an army Thomas had no great love for.

"She is home," Thomas hesitated then opened the door wider to allow entrance, "In with ya then but don' you be tryin' anything on the sly or ye be dealin' with me which you don' want. Hear me, boyos?"

"Well from in town..." Mark started explaining, but then the man seemed to be pacified.  Seemed to accept their request. Seemed to be going to let them in. 

Emboldened by the success, Mark stood himself a bit taller, and in his deep voice said "I suppose you’ll be wanting to see what’s in our pockets I expect."  Everyone seemed to want to see what was in their pockets these days.   And those seaman’s jacket pockets were deep - though there were few surprises there as Mark held out their scooped-up contents for Thomas to view .  A few bright and shinnies, string, odd shaped bit of metal, a bit of cheese... nothing terribly interesting nor incriminating. 

While Tony just clutched at his hat watching his brother do the talking. 

"You have my word we don’t mean her any harm." Mark pledged.   

Just then Caroline walked in, dressed in a bathrobe with only stocking feet. She had not expected to find guests inside though she had heard the door knocker just prior. Now it was apparent Thomas had let the visitors in. They looked a bit familiar.

"Well, I'd like to see you two try and harm me. Even without my bloodthirsty Irish soldier here," she grinned.

Thomas was well used to his employer's ways and easy banter so he smiled too, exposing rotted teeth, "They said they be here about that Frances girl you talked about."

"Indeed? Well.....boys, speak up. And Thomas, fetch me that loaf of bread and wheel of cheese, they look a hungry twosome," Caroline took charge in her usual manner.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

Marks eyes flared - he was at an age that really appreciated the sight of ladies in pretty things.  He was perhaps 14.  "Good morning milady." he performed an awkward bow, and with a kick towards his brother prompted Tony to do likewise.  Tonys bow was somewhat better, (perhaps because he was not trying to ogle at the same time).  The youngstests eyes brightned when she sent for food stuffs, Tony flashed Mark a pleased look.  

"You helped us, me, the other day. I wanted to thank you, in person. And also." Mark did a half turn and gave a look to his brother.  Tony then withdrew one of his hands from hat, and tripping forward thrust a small exquisitely embroidered coin purse into Caroline's hands.

"It's the other lady's."  

Caroline could tell it was also empty. 

It was amusing to see these commoner urchins attempt to play the role of gentlemen but nothing wrong with their effort, Caroline decided. Honestly, all she wanted now was for them to bring up what they knew about Frances, had she even managed to give them a message to pass on to her? She could only hope. Turned out the one lad suddenly gave her a small purse.

"This is Frances' purse? Then how did you come by it? And why bring it to me?" Caroline accepted it but, feeling how flat it was so no point in trying to open it.

"No, it's the other lady's purse."  As recollection sharpened Caroline might recall that these two (with young Frances) had a pick pocketing scam going on, and had thieved from the Duchess.  

"We brought it to you, because anyone else might have us arrested.  Well.  We are hoping you wont send for the flatfoots. You wont will you?"  Mark came over suddenly nervous,  "Sorry it's empty. But, well, ah, you know how it goes.  And, it's pretty, but the guy at the pawn shop said it's too recognisable to be worth anything."  

Now it was Tony giving Mark a kick.  "Shut up!" the younger boy hissed. Looking at the lady he spoke up directly, "We thought you might like it, as a thank you. Mostly. And, also wondered if you'd heard anything. About Frances." 

"Other lady?" Caroline was confused for a moment and then it came to her...yes the Duchess was the one who had been the victim. Not that Caroline much cared, that woman would hardly miss a purseful of coins.

"No I am not going to send for any authorities. Your secret is safe with me," she assured them.

The younger boy now spoke up and sadly it seemed these urchins could provide her no news about poor Frances, disappointing indeed and just when her hopes were raised.

"I don't want this, I would not dare use it. What if one day the Duchess saw it on me?" she dealt with the first issue first, lightly tossing the item back to the younger.

"As for Frances, no, I cannot get anywhere near her. That brute jailor of a guardian is determined to keep the girl isolated. I am frustrated beyond imagining," Caroline sighed.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

“Thankyou Mam.” Mark was quick to utter his relief, feeling a tad hot at the moment despite the winter season.

Meanwhile Tony caught the purse as it was thrown back.  “I thought you’d want to return it to her?” he uttered as he put it back in his pocket.  Was it odd that the stolen purse now felt like a rejected gift? Not that they would dwell upon it long, there were more important matters at hand. Both listened, wanting news of their friend Frances. 

“Oh.” Mark murmured, Tony too seemed disappointed.  This was not a case of no news is good news, no news in this instance must mean she was still prisoner.   The eldest boy took the role of speaking again, “Well. Sorry to bother you Mam. We just thought, you might know, is all.”

“Good day milady.”  Tony could not help but look towards the door as they readies to leave, hopeful the bread and cheese would arrivein time still.  Though realistically it seemed they had missed out.  

"Return it to her?" Caroline smirked, "And what do I tell her as to how I got it? I miraculously found it? Or two boys who just happened to have taken it returned it to me empty? No, I'm staying out of this, dearies."

The boys looked disappointed too when Caroline told him what little she did know about Frances and prepared to beat a retreat. Caroline was a bit surprised given she had promised them food.

"What? So eager to get out of my sight? You need to learn patience," she chided them softly. (Like she was ever noted for patience!)

And there he was then, her one time soldier now bodyguard and at this moment, kitchen servant too it seemed, carrying a wooden cutting board with a small loaf of recently baked bread and part of a wheel of cheese. There was also a cutting knife too.

"Thomas, set that on the table over there. Although it seems it may not be needed as my two guests have tired of my company already," she gave an overly dramatic shrug.

And so the purse found it's way into Tony's pocket.  Where from there? Who could say.   

"We dont want to intrude on your day mam." Mark explained their intended retreat.

"But we'd love to keep you company for breakfast, if you are wanting." this time it was little Tony piping up.   Of course both were very agreeable to a feeding - hungry eyes looking towards the pretty looking table as the bread board was sat upon it.  It was a very unlikly dining setting for these grubby street dwellers.  There was already some small measure of dirt and grime falled about them onto her highly polished floors.    

"I'm not that hungry at the moment, so you two...eat your fill," she gestured for the lads to help themselves then watched as they indulged their appetites, poor things. There were some among the nobility who despised the beggars and unfortunates who wandered the streets of London as if they were not quite human. Caroline was not one of those.

"So...tell me...between mouthfuls....how did you happen to meet Frances?" she was curious.

The boys rushed in upon the low table, kneeling up to it they dug in - neither really wanted to stop eating to talk, Caroline's patience was tested for a good number of bites, hasty chewing and swallows before either were ready to spare a breath.  Then when the talk came it was in short clipped sentences... 

"We found her." Said Mark 

"I found her said Tony 

"Yeah he found her." Mark agreed. 

"She was under the stairs.  It's a good place to sit under the stairs. Can see loads from there, but not much sees you. I never expected to find a girl under the stairs." 

"Heh, I don’t think she was expecting to find you neaver" Mark huffed a laugh.  

"I saved her from death." 

"She might not have died." Mark amended 

"We taught her how to get by." Tony stuck to facts. 

"Yeah, we taught her how to survive." Mark agreed, before jamming to chunks of cheese into his mouth. 

As appetites listened, sentences became longer, and information flowed filling in many blanks. "Her mother had been put in The Bedlam by some lord, a different one than her new guardian.  But Frances had escaped."  more story came out.

"Shed been singing for pennies, well and good in the summer, but you know how it is in the winter on the streets." though of course Caroline did not hold such experience.

Winter's hard." Mark added for her benefit. 

"The stairs near the gallows." Tony explained as if it had not needed explanation at all. "You know, where you can stand to get a good view for a hanging.  But when there’s no hanging on, the square is full of all sorts, it's a market too really. Though not the type milady would go to of course."  

"Me, Tony, Harry and Dave always kicked about down there, Harry's folks life right on the edge there. But Harry's gone now." The lad they'd affectionately called Gallows had perished under the employ of Adam McGregor (Catrionas late husband) 

“Anyhow. We gave her pointers, told her how in the winter you have to change your tack.  When the folks with the spare coins are all indoors, you got to take yourself to them.  We used to keep a watch on her from out on the street, and she’d sing outside those nobles doors to beg a coin. Splitting the money.  It was pretty good.”

It had helped the boys that she had a skill.  But they had helped her too in return. “We done other things too, run messages, bit of this bit of that. We even got hired once by a toff named Kane to sell marbles to the nobles at fancy outdoors event.  That was a sweet deal, we got paid twice.” 

Tony then piped up, the queen was there too, it was before she was the Queen.  She brought a marble from us.  We are practically famous when you think about it -  sort of."

Mark pulled a face and shrugged his shoulders to Caroline.   Picking up the story she wanted to know, he resumed “Anyhow. Back on Frances, one day she was singing, and the man at the door recognised her. He was someone who’d seen her when that other lord went to visit her mother, before she got put into The Bedlam. He took her in.”

As they ate, the boys began chattering away quite happily. So Frances' mother had been committed into Bedlam, not good. Frances had run then from some other lord, not Charles? Interesting. She sang on the streets to survive. Luckily Caroline had never been forced to depend on her singing voice for such a thing, she would have starved to death. And street beggars do not play cellos. It was a bit amusing the boys somehow thought she knew what it was like out there? Did she really seem that common to them?

"Selling marbles? I would have not known there was much demand for such things," Caroline smiled.

They had even met the Queen - well before she was queen. Their one brush with fame apparently and yet no one would remember them for it or most likely anything. She said nothing though merely nodded as the story continued it's meandering way. They were back on Frances once more.

"Oh, so this man who took her in...would that be her current guardian?" she now asked.

"Yeah, I dont know why he wanted us to do that. Nobles sure are odd sometimes." 

Mark, Tony and Frances had no idea of Kanes pro-Karoline plot that they had been key players within, how His Majesty had seen the Queen's charity towards the little lost children, and seen her a kind heart and generous heart.  The contrast between that and the other prime contender (the French Princess) had been vast.   But it was not just one thing that CR and his advisors based their choice of new Queen upon, there had been a score of other happenings during the 'Princess Parade' season that had slowly and steadily made the right choice evident. 

"Oh but not you Milady."  Tony added, "Saint of the Westminster, that is what you are."   

Belly stuffed full, Mark discreetly put the other half of his bread roll into pocket - while wondering if she would mind if he took the rest of the cheese also?

"Yeah that's him. Frances thought she might get him to take us in also, but. Well you saw what he thinks of us."

"Besides, I'd not want to dress in a toff suit. I just need my hat." he gave a cheeky grin, scooping up his hat again (he'd sat it on the floor next to him while he ate.) 

"Odd, huh?" Caroline arched up one eyebrow but the boy quickly made a verbal save, assuring her she was not included among those sort of nobles. Though he laid it on rather thick.

"Saint? Highly unlikely that," she scoffed, though amused they thought so.

She noticed the one lad pocket the bread but honestly did not mind. They had a hard life and she sympathized in all sincerity.

"Well, I assure you what he thinks of you, he thinks that much worse of me. We have exchanged insults more than once and I detest that man as much as he does me. So do not let it bother you what he thinks. He is a bully and a cold hearted bastard."

Caroline had to laugh at the younger one and his hat, probably his most precious possession, the poor thing.

"I do say it looks good on you, lad. Almost distinguished, it does," she threw him a compliment.

"Maybe you don’t know how rare it is for anyone to speak up for the likes of us." Mark replied.  His cheeks had pinked that she scoffed at her moniker, but the fact remained it was beyond them to alter is now. Word of what had happened was already getting around.  

But if Caroline was a saint, she was a potty-mouthed one. Marks eyes flared, and Tony's mouth dropped when she defamed Langdon! 

"If you need someone to protect you milady, then Me and Tony will be there for you!" Mark stood taller and a fist clenched.  Tony too was feeling quite attatched to the lady, she even complimented him on his hat. "My hat is yours to command." he bowed to her, knowing that there was something not quite right in the saying, but it seemed all right enough.  

"God decides what sort of family and income we are born into and some of those lucky enough to be born rich and powerful might do well not to look down on the less fortunate too much lest some day God take away their good fortune in disgust," Caroline declared, not really her own original thoughts as it was her mother's. But she valued anything her mother had ever said...well, except when the woman was stupid drunk. But then no one was perfect.

Caroline had to laugh at their offer of protection, "How gallant of you lads but I have my Irish soldier here for that sort of thing. You do not go getting into trouble for me, do you understand? I can take care of myself."

Their future was probably not a bright one, Caroline was a realist but she also did not want to be responsible for something bad happening to them out of their foolish boyish sense of gallantry.

Caroline’s matter of fact words wisdom impressed the pair;   Mark nudged Tony about it and gave a nod that could have said 'see I told you she was a saint.' 

"I expect he'll get his come uppance one day then." Tony rubbed his arm where his brother had elbowed him, the thin youth bruised far too easily.  Mark though, might actually be useful if it ever came to a fight, even though the pretty lady made the promise not to do anything reckless.

"We promise ma'm." they agreed in unison, Mark caring to add, "But if you ever need to find us, we base our operations from round the steps. Just ask anyone there, and someone can find us." 

"I don't know, lads, there is an old saying 'the good die young' which means he will probably live forever," she grinned at the boys, she truly did like them. Even as she had gotten fond of Frances so quickly. It almost made her think she could be a mother some day.....................no probably not.

They seemed ready to leave then but wanted to inform her where she could locate them should she wish to.

"I will do just that then or I will send my Irishman. If you see him, you know he will be there to speak for me...that is if you can understand his bloody Irish," she let them know.

"Off with you, boys, and be careful out there," she suddenly realized she meant every word of that.

"It would be hard to miss him!" Mark agreed with a grin, daring for the first time to look at the body guard properly (and just as quickly removing the grin from his face!). The Irishman was a brute sized fellow, and not anyone you'd want to be on the wrong side of.

The pair of boys were hopeful they might hear from her one day, and it was not just the cheese and fresh bread, but the care and honesty she spoke to them with. Caroline did not patronise, just the opposite perhaps, whatever the opposite of patronise was.

"Thank your Ladyship."  The Mark and Tony took pains of paying her their deepest respects with a further bow before rebuttoning and tucking themselves in to head back out into the day.

OOC: 😄