JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A talk about the Bachelor Auction | Monday 3rd- Xmas 1677

Hope

Queen's Bedroom

• After a small private parlour, open for the Queen and her ladies in waiting to relax in away from the immediate sight of the court, was a small room that guarded entry to the Queen’s bedroom.

The Queen’s bedroom was a serene room for relaxation, the room upkeeping the predominantly red colourscheme by the delicate flower motive on the walls. The unsurprising central point of the room is a grand bed with heavy drapes that allow the queen some privacy while she rests. A door to the far right led to the Queen’s dressing room and closet.

"Looser please."  A servant was making the final adjustments to her afternoon gown was being made, before Karoline would join the rest of her ladies at the Bachelor Auction. It promised to be a lively event and Karoline was curious to watch the antics from the perspective of one who's future was pleasantly settled.

"Has Mistress Wellesley arrived?"  She had requested Davina particularly to accompany her to the event... desiring a private word in her ear prior.

Davina had been absorbed in some last minute details regarding her own person so was unaware that her presence had been wanted. Now she quickly scurried the short distance to where The Queen was entered then mande her way into the Bedroom with some trepidation. Entry here was for those Duchesses who served as Bedchamber Ladies and waited upon the Queen directly and Davina herself had been admited less than a handful of times. So the Reasons for it made her cautious.

"Your Majesty."

She curtsied then quietly waited yet aware of all that was going on about her at the same time. She was probably not the only one that as taken off guard by the Queen's wanting to attend this Auction. Was there to be some Public Announcement made - at last - that The Queen was indeed with child and due in the Spring if caculations were correct? She hoped so for there was much speculation and it would be best to make it clear and stop all the rumours.

Karoline stood upon a low step, before her a mirror. She was pressing hands to her belly to critiquing the swell of her belly.  Yes soon enough any actual announcement would be unnecessary - for the queens altering shape would be announcement enough! Either way the young Queen knew it not her place to shout the news, but patiently awaited her Royal Husband’s choice of disclosure.  

Her gently straying hands were returned to natural resting point upon seeing Davina. "Ah... there you are." she smiled with a soft warmth for one of her more sensible companions.  "That colour looks well on you, you must wear it more often."  As she paid Davina this individual attention she did notice the uncertainty in her bearing.  

"Do relax please, I did not call you for a scolding." she chuckled some.  It had indeed been a long time since their last personal exchange,  and now here they were, Christmas almost over and the new year begun.  Had Davina any news for her?  They had talked of her future once upon a time.

"There shall be much amusement to be had at the auction don't you think?" 

An inward release of breath so it was not a scolding so what could it be?

"Your Majesty is kind." This in response to the complement and another curtsey.

Her gaze took in the surrounds and she could see nothing that she might help with. Yet the odd undercurrent remained.

"So I have heard Madam - I suspect there shall be and I have even put Baintree's name up - he is in need of a Wife after all and perhaps there is some Court Lady who has taken an interest? I would be failing in my Duty as his sister to not see to his wants."

Karoline chuckled of that,  "Though I dare say that he would assert that he does not need sisterly assistance!" Davina's personal admission amused.

"Though there is perhaps other methods less random.  There are some ladies at court that one might want to restrain from the bidding - or have you managed to curb his interest upon that other?"  Most of court was aware that Baintree had been calling on Needham, who by proper society standards was not a suitable match. 

"He is one of the more reticent gentlmen at court wouldn't you say.  One does not hear much fuss about him by the gossips, which I would say is a very positive thing..." Yes Caroline did have an actual topic she wanted to get to, but there was ample time still.

"I shall take Your Majesty's words to heart." Davina dipped a curtsey. "Well he can be unbeably Stubborn and, to any that does not know him fully, he may appear to be that. And as for Gossip I will agree Madam. Baintree is most ressourceful at keeping it at bay. Even he knows better than to anger our Lady Mother."

She was patient as any long-time Courtier must be. Her Majesty would get to the actual topic when it suited. But if this was ment to be a private conversation she would know if the others were dismissed. Her mind wrestled with topics and that dreaded one kept reappearing.

The Married State. And her lack there of.

Edited by Davina Wellsley

"Would that be a family trait?" Karoline could not resist the chuckled tease as she stepped from the dressing platform.  The young queen was in fine spirits today indeed!  

"But your brother aside, I am a litle more interested in how my Ladies might intend their bidding?" Which was beginning to near the topic she desired to speak of.  "For instance yourself, you have a gentlman or three of interest I dare say. And perhaps have even gained some encouragment from those quarters..."   

"Well Your Grace there's been much talk, as expected from such an unusual occurance, and several have voiced their ideas but as to HOW each shall participate I could not say. Perhaps once there they might be taken with sudden shyness and thus remain silent? Or perhaps they might be so overcome by the excitement and nerves and thus become too energetic? The addition of Your presence Madam might also empower. Or the desire to out-do someone not fond of ..... The possibilities are really quite many."

"As for myself? Tis true I have thought yet without knowledge of just who has been put up I find it difficult to assemble my ideas. And tis also true that some Gentlemen have had foresight in thinking that a small token or sweet word will gain advantage ."

"Tis also true that I have accepted some yet I did not confirm or deny a preference. Stragity after all needed."

"I trust none shall embarrass themselves." Karoline replied of that (though she was really meaning 'not embarrass me'.)  

"I am pleased to hear that!" namely that gentlemen had made bids to gain the ladies favour prior to the bidding, "after all my unmarried lady companions one and all enjoy a special rank at court that makes them the most prized of all court." 

Karoline gave a pleased nod that Davina was using strategy.  

"I do hope that everyone is so sensible as you." Karoline here drew a breath, about to talk about what was actually concerning her. "Have you by chance come to know my German friend Lady Dorothea?" 

"As to that Madam again I can not say yet will Trust that 'we' all shall do our very best" This in reply to her being 'sensible.'

"Naturally I have seen her but no I am afraid we have not had any time for such. She seems to have made acquaintances however so if Your Majesty has been worried I think tis well. Or does Your Majesty wish for me to seek her out? If so I shall be delighted to."

'another German. excellent. and I am sure they both know of the other so will no doubt endevor to double the attentions. not that 'The German' has sought me out the last few weeks. he is not unreasonable so mayhap Lady Dorethea will be so as well?' 

Her thoughts rambled on but her smile was as calm and serene as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Davina proved her insightful attentiveness at that moment.

Karoline's manner relaxed further as she was spared the necessity of asking outright, "I would be grateful, particularly in regard to her heart.  She is naturally of a serious disposition, and thus I worry she might take the merry good humour of Whitehall gentlemen as meaning more than it is."  she explained in a gentle tone. "She is one of my dearests friends, and so I would hate to see her embarrassed."  

"Lady Dorothea has been here some time now and I would think that she is well prepared before arrival regarding this place yet even if that is true perhaps Our Court is unlike what is familiar to her?  Regardless I shall indeed make effort to find out how she fares and if there are complaints am I to inform Your Grace?"

"It is also likely that by now most Courtiers know that she has your Favor and so not like to cross."

She gave a small curtsey wondering if there would be more.

"Have you everything you need Madam or shall I call for someone?"

Davina's eyes did a quick critical apprasial of her Mistresses attire but there seemed to be nothing amiss. She of course had no way of knowing what the Queen wanted to add ot take away and all the while she was trying to silently calculate if there was any visible clue that there was indeed a babe. Privatley almost all her Ladies thought it was so with Spring being the arrival. 

"You have not been to my homeland.” Karoline replied by way of answer, meaning that the courts of Germany were vastly different than that of the Merry Monarchs.  But Davina agreed to befriend the girl, which was all that Karoline actually wanted. “If you would. I know her to be fond of Lord Kingston, and of course his Mother is lady in waiting also. I thought at first to ask her, but that would appear as overt meddling I think.  Besides, you are far nearer in age.”

“That is true.” Davina’s comment on the unspoken protection that Karoline provided Dorothea was substantial in itself.  “Hmm, tell me Mistress Wellesley, do you feel an effect of this yourself?”

Yes she was ready, and so with a silent nod of agreement they begun the walk to the Scarlet Drawing room. “There has been so little announcements of betrothals this season. Perhaps it is the talk of war that has the eligible gentlemen distracted from making their proposals. But still. I know His Majesty enjoys the warm sport of a match well made, I do hope that we shall have some announcements before season end.”      

"I shall endevour to do all that I can Your Majesty." Here another small curtsey.

"Your Majesty protects all that Serve so in essance tis the same. We are all Your Servants and as such tis You that look to our Futures."

'and finding us all good husbands' was left unsaid.

The decision to leave was made and Davina quietly went to take her place amongst the retinue but it seemed that The Queen was not done with her.

"Well I think that many remember last year Madam and how His Majesty took a sudden desire to match up!"  She smiled. "So perhaps that plays out now as well? Yes. That is indeed True - I hate the talk of War for it causes such unplesant thoughts and makes one fearful for Fathers, Brothers, Husbands, Friends."

"Marriages will take a back place in circumstances now. Do you not think it so? Would it not be a hardship to marry then have new-made Husband go off to War leaving Wife alone and her Future uncertain? I should not like it."

"As for any announcements I can not say on that score."

Davina was chatty yet supplied her answers as was being required. She was able to read between the lines and knew what was really being said. Her answer of not liking to be a new Bride and left she hoped would provide answer enough.

Davina was being Truthful in that regard. She liked not the notion of remaing here waiting day by day for some word of survival or death. 

Her thoughts roamed over this topic of Marriages  ...

'besides I have been promised a year or are You going to suddenly take it back and expect ME to be amongst those 'announcements' you are so hopeful to see?'

"Yes, I think that is what it is." Karoline replied, letting the subject relax.  The thing was though, and both ladies knew well, that there was always this war or that taking place.  

"Yet this shall be a frolicsome intermission to too much seriousness," of the Bachelor Auction the young Queen confirmed.

"It did occur to me that some gentlemen might not be bid upon by anyone, which would be tragic and rather sad for their sensitive egos don't you agree.  So I have wondered if we might come up with some manner of saving any such embarrassment? Initially I had thought perhaps a silent bidder might be used, that they might become a hamper of gents attentions that my maids in waiting can enjoy.  Perhaps they should offer the gents some lessons in attracting the opposite sex?  Mmm… but that who will actually pay the sum to the charity in that case.  Perhaps the gentlemen in question would be willing to make the donation to my Charity, for the consideration to their reputation for not being left upon the shelf so to speak. What do you think? Or might you have some other option?"

On the other side of that coin, namely men that thought to shirk attendance:  "I intend to broadcast any bachelors names that do Not attend the auction. Call it tough love." 

Davina did not at once respond wanting time to comprehend what was being asked.

"Well yes Your Grace there is the chance that some might be over-looked and that would create much disharmony which must be avoided. And have You not some advance knowledge of who all the Gentlemen might be that will participate? Or will it be left to Chance? Is there to be a Master of Ceremonies to preside and offer encouragements? We Maids are not privy to any information Madam and so how might I offer suggestions? All that was 'heard' was that there was to be an Auction of Gentlemen for Charity led by Your Majesty. I think the idea of allowing your Ladies to participate is a good one! In fact tis been much discussed as to how 'we' are to make payments - coin or some small pieces of jewlery or favors made from ribbons  ..... and the of more import just what the Gentlemen purchased receives."

She was just stating the Truth. She and all the rest  - she assumes - had no knowledge of how this was to go and so asking might just give her some advantages.

And as to the last remark

"Well I would think that NONE would absent themselves so not to be pointed out!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes precisely, it is my hope that all available Batchelors will see it as their duty to be present." she agreed, "while we have lists of who those men are, it was not arranged as a rsvp sort of situation."  Karoline paused at that, "but perhaps I am over thinking it." she gave a small smile, and her they turned another corner and walked down another corridor. 

"My knowledge to the finer details of the event are vague, as my minister for charities Lord Wentwood was arranging the event, but his wife is the frail sort and he's been away from court attending to her.  But I dare say he left everything is in order.”  They were approaching the Scarlet drwaing room, if there was anything Davina wished to speak about she had a few minutes more.  

"Well Madam tis to be Hoped then that Lord Wentwood has indeed left all in Order. Yet, if he has not, is there anything that You might require from either Myself or any of the other Ladies? Perhaps before going in there might be a way to gather some information so that Your Majesty is informed if things have gone amiss?"

Davina cast a practiced eye over the assembled Company about The Queen trying to think ahead if she needed to quickly send someone in and that person had best be smart enough to do the job or would the task fall to her alone? There did not seem to have been any thought given to inform her Mistress afore hand which ment they were all entering blind and THAT could bring distress or embarrassment both of which Davina knew must be avoided. It was unlike the ususl way of things and that caused her to wonder if other things were at Play here   ....

OOC: In fairness to Davina after the original time stamp for the auction was changed, I have adjusted this thread to be "some time during the day' before the auction.  Thus the Queen and Davina are doing a pre-inspection of the event location that morning.   Davina is thus free to join or make another thread for the afternoon. 

IC: 

"Do you have a way to do so?  Perhaps Mr Killigrew can advise, he is oversees most other court fetes."  The queen paused, and then just asked, (Davina had attended Court in London some while now so might know)  "Is he related to the family that owned the theatre in the city? The one that burnt down."

"Ah, here we are." they arrived to the doors.

"Ooh look how pretty the masks are." a stand outside the door was covered with masks top to bottom. "The Ladies shall love these." Karoline expressed feeling pleased. 

(ooc: thank you)

IC

"Well I should think, in his Position as Master of The Revels, he would be present. He can most likely tell Your Majesty everything and thus You shall be prepared well in advance and if by chance some things do not meet with Your approval they can be changed?"

"He is indeed. Master Killigrew built the first Theatre on the East Side and that was burned by fire in 'seventy-two. Sir Christopher Wren was in charge of its being rebulit on the present site in Drury Lane and it was finished in '74."

Davina answered as her own eyes looked over the display of masks. "Yes I should think so. Perhaps Your Majesty needs to claim one now - unless someone has had one delivered especially? Master Killigrew will advise if he is in attendance that is."

"Will you go in now?"

Picking up one of the masks, a pale grey one fashioned like a partridge with forward falling feather at the front, Karoline replied, "He must have been very upset at ruination of it all last year.  He and Mr Wren both. " She lifted the mask to her face and idly ask, "Does it suit me? I am rather fond of this bird, they seem so calm, and orderly don’t you think." 

"Hmm.  Do you know what the rest of his family are doing now that their workplace is cinders?" she further asked of the Killigrews. 

Not wanting to be rushed along she replied, "Yes, in just a minute."  Womanly contrariness had her choose to remain mulling over the masks a bit longer. 

"Yor Majesty remembers that Killigrew's Theatre has been repaired and so his Company continues and also that of the Earl of Dorset's - who's Theatre holds York's Comapny of Players. It is all confusing even to me and I have not half the things that Your Majesty needs to know."

Here she did a small curtsey then took up the mask topic

"It flatters certainly Madam and that creature is as you say - calm and orderly so a foil indeed. If that is the one liked best take it now afore you see it on another Lady and are distressed at how badly she wears it!"

Were they ever going to complete this? Yet she could hardly allow that to show so she waited patiently and calm just like said bird. Now all that remained was for Killigrew to actually be present inside.

"Mistress Wellsley, where have you been, it was burnt to the ground last summer!" Karoline laughed with amusement, somewhat dismayed that the elder lady was entirely unaware. More soberly she added, "Why any number of nobles barely escaped with their lives." 

She passed Davina the Partridge Mask, certain that she would set it aside somewhere safe for her.  If she was aware of her Maid in Waiting's impatience for her to enter, Karoline made no indication of it.

"Perhaps I shall ask somebody who keeps themselves better informed then. I might suggest however, that you attend to becoming conversant in the events of each season. It is dreadfully relevant to any nobles life to be conversant with the goings on of the day. Further, His Majesty adores the theatre.  Hmm... in fact rather than ask another, I shall charge you with a duty to discover what is coming about with the Theatre and the Killigrews who worked at it. The education shall serve you well." 

She was momentarily taken back. She could have sworn that it had been rebuilt   ..... but there were so many Theatres that came and went ....

"I seem to have confused it with another Your Grace. Thank you for the correction."

She dipped her curtsey then took the mask as it was offered.

well what a fine thing indeed. as if I have nothing else to do 

"I shall endeavour to be as through as possible Your Majesty." This time her reverance was deeper then she added "Recess shall provide a perfect opportunity for such discoveries. Your Majesty is Gracious indeed."

She stood waiting with a calmness she did not feel. Her temper might just be responsible for the light tinge to her cheeks and she PRAYED that her MIstress was now ready to cocntinue on.

It was to be Hoped that Killigrew would be there as well but if not heaven alone knows who she might ask for details about this Auction.

<<Your Majesty is Gracious indeed.>> 

"Was that sarcasm Mistress Davina?" Karoline remarked in surpise.  Her honest interest was in broadening Davina's world beyond the insular circle of Queens ladies - having well informed Ladies in her circle would in turn benefit the young queen. 

"But I speak only what is the Truth Your Grace. How could You think otherwise? Your Majesty has always been Gracious to me."

"I would never Dare to do such. I beg Your Majesty's Pardon."

This time she knelt fully on one knee with her dark head bent. Any that might observe would see it as someone who was asking for 'forgiveness' but would The Queen?

The Queen may be a good four years younger than her Maid of Honor but Her upbringing and them Marriage to the English King set her above Everyone and sometimes Davina forgot that seeing only her youth. Being taken to task was to be expected even tho nothing had been intended as it had been taken.

Davina would wait there hoping that she'd be given permission to rise thinking to herself that she had best learn to school herself better. But also with some temper for she had not meant anything by that choice of phrase and The Queen had choosen to take it badly.

This day was not going well at all.

Karoline's expression shifted, accepting Davina's reply which was made easier by her prostration. 

Respect was extremely important of course, while it natural that the elder matrons within her circle had a measure of critique of her endeavours,  (a silent look from this one or that had alerted the new Queen many a time), corrections were not expected from the younger ones.  And Davina, despite her age, was not yet married.  Karoline had worked hard to 'capture' her spouse, impressing him with intellect as much as anything else.  She sincerely believed Davina's wider appreciation of local events would work into her favour.

"I am pleased to hear that  Do get up." she accepted, "There is no rush for your gathering of information of the theatre folk, you shall do so in the spring perhaps when it is warm out.  Once you have discovered their current occupations, I may have you make my interest known to them, with messages delivered.  It is too soon to say yet."    

The queen gave her Maid a smile, appreciating her refreshed attention.  

"Now, shall we go in?"

The grand door glided open upon well oiled hinges...

<fade>

OOC: Please do a reply, and then lets call this a wrap!  Note that the Killigrews hunting/information story is something for the IC in next season! Cheers! 

Davina rose sutible penitent. Well! That was an even better thing - having until the Spring to begin her quest for the Killigrew's and their Fortunes as she now thought of it.

She gave another reverance as any further words were unnecessary as she followed her Mistress.

Her thoughts on thisTask that had been given to her and she wonders just where to begin. Perhaps she might be able to get a head start by seeking out the Master of The Revels himself? Go directly to the Source for what she needed?

Her gaze would look for that Gentleman as soon as she entered   .....

Edited by Davina Wellsley