JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An audience before the sled plunge | @Rupert's 1/1- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

Duke of Cumberland

Prince Rupert resided, while in London, in a collection of well appointed rooms that carried a theme of Rhenish design, which created a rather interesting contrast to the bold Gothic architecture, for this was one of the older parts of the palace. The Duke held only modest accommodations at Whitehall, his main residence being at Windsor Castle. His common law wife Peg Hughes also resided here during the season.

Upon entrance the visitor would note the rose wood and the many roses about the room. The rest of the interior basked in masculinity, military shields, banners and rifles, collections of weapons simply everywhere. The visitor would await the Duke's pleasure in the receiving room, where the deeper part of the apartment revealed a study, a drawing room for ladies and two bedrooms as well as rooms for servants.

Beverley had kept to his usual morning routine of seeing to correspondence and receiving updates. He was now waiting for the time for Lord Chichester to arrive. His duty was to set the audience, but he was also eager to see what the results would be in this case. That part was mostly out of his hands, so there was a certain anticipation to see things unfold.

Keeping his limited wardrobe fresh for the evening, Beverley was wearing his uniform at that time.

Edited by Guest

George was dressed in sober tones with a sense of gravity of the pending meeting with the Prince.

It was a finely tailored grey and black check justacorps, trimmed with silver thread and buttons. His vest was a pale grey velvet needleworked with silver vines. His stockings and shirt were white and augmented with lace and frills, trimmed with the ribbons and bows that were fitting for any peers courtly attire. There was the very sparing use of colour, a mere splash of lime green at poker-chief and peridot on cravat pin.

He'd eaten a bit too much at breakfast, which did not work well with this spate of nerves now. A touch of nausea placed beads of sweat on his upper lip - though were quickly wiped away. It will be fine, He told himself. Unfortunately he knew he was unqualified to have any idea of how it might go.

At least the friendly figure of young Lord Beverly would be there.

Admitted to the reception room of the Prince's palatial apartments, George's eyes slid about the walls heavily adorned with the tools of war - it made a sobering impression. The greatest impression in this earls mind at that moment that the Prince was master of intimidation. He shifted the gift wrapped book from one hand to another. "Ah, Lord Beverly." seeing the young man waiting relief eased the Earls features to a smile as he approached. "Happy New Year."

Beverley smiled at the earl as he was allowed in by the usher.

"And a happy New Year to you, Lord Chichester. I hope you have had a pleasant morning."

The viscount was standing, having spent much of the morning sitting and writing. He had also had one of the clerks draw out invitations for their shooting sport. The aide was eager to keep his master in good spirits during this socially busy time of year.

"His highness should join us shortly."

(OOC - I shall tag B )

"Indeed I have." George responded, "I took breakfast with Lord Melville, you know him? A good man indeed." Settling to stand next to Beverley, the fashionable Earl was compelled to comment, "You look fine in uniform my friend, it is a most patriotic look for the New Year."

Advised that the Prince would arrive presently, George nodded once more.

"You have examined your schedule for dinner Monday Night?" George had invited the Beverleys to dinner pending the constraints of the others availability.

"Ah yes, I do, I do. I know Lord Melville fairly well. A man most exuberant of our military causes," Beverley said with his nod of approval. He did not betray that Melville was getting a Letter of Marque, for he did not know if such endeavors were what Melville wished to be court knowledge.

Beverley was haughty enough to find privateering a bit mercantile, even if his own master had resorted to it during exile. Royals could do as they pleased.

As to dinner, Beverley said, "By chance, might we do so on Tuesday? I am afraid Monday my master is doing a shooting event with dinner following on Monday. His Highness is engaged on Tuesday and Wednesday, so there was no avoiding the Monday," Beverley explained.

Wednesday was his daughter's birthday, and Tuesday was something outside of the palace. Beverley would have no duties during that, so it was a very safe time for a dinner if the earl was available to adjust his plans.

Princes were rarely prompt. In his own confident manner, Prince Rupert strode into the receiving room. He was not in military uniform, but his attire mimicked some of the pageantry of an admiral's tunic.

"Lord Chichester, how good of you to come." He gave the Earl a friendly nod. He was about to reveal what Beverley had told him, but the Duke preferred to be a man of few words when words were unnecessary. Instead, he looked to Beverley to do the honors of facilitating the purpose of the meeting.

"That sounds just like the man I know." George replied on Melville. Duncan was an ardent follower of all things military. "I ought beg you to help me prepare for my next meeting with the gentleman in question, for I discover myself with vast lack of knowledge on that subject myself."

George liked Duncan well, but oft found himself out of his depth in conversation.

"Tuesday would be splendid." Tension of pending meeting eased from George as Beverly figured an evening that they might dine. This was wonderful news. "Do you feel a need for a fourth to even up the numbers? I could invite the dear Lady Hambersham if that would provide a gentle companion for your wife also? Though I do not expect we would be unduly rowdy otherwise." a further grin at that. Beverly knew his wife best, and would know what her preference would be.

A ripple ran through the air, perhaps due to the intakes of breath at approach? It was a tangible prequel to the arrival of the great man Cumberland himself - and George turned to face the door in time to see Rupert arrive.

Not a shoddy figure, in posture nor dress, he might have stepped right out of one of the paintings.

"Your Grace." George bowed deeply, "It was a rare honour to gain an audience with you upon this auspicious day." he arose, and presented the wrapped volume he'd held. "May the coming year bring glad tidings and joy to you and yours."

The book however was not on family subjects, but was entitled: Tintinnalogia

Ref the Gifts given thread - a book by Fabian Stedman (Renown Campanologist, namely expert in the casting, tuning and ringing of bells. A field that might hold interest/relevance to the Duke own interest in foundries.

• 2 weeks later...

"I shall ask her and let you know tomorrow, if you are to be at chapel, that is?" Beverley asked. Chapel was a sure place to find many people.

It was then that the prince chose to make his appearance, garnering the typical obeisances.

Beverley took up his usual posture, moving closer to Rupert than he had been. He would have provided the segue for the meaning of the meeting, but he found that a present was beginning enough.

He would see how that was received and if his help was even needed at all. Like his master, he too did not see the need for words just to have them, and it was a skill of an aide to know when to interject and when not to. Present-giving was not an interjectable moment!

The Prince gave a well-practiced nod of friendly recognition. "The pleasure is mutual Lord Chichester. Thank you, the same to you for the new year." He reached for the present and elected to open it there. It was more polite to do so when the giver was present. A servant was nearby to collect the paper.

"Ah, tinting," he uttered as he looked at the cover and peeked a few pages inward. "A worthy gift. Thank you." He had his own experiments with tinting and this would be a good addition to his library. As he grew older, Rupert had to replace the loss of battlefield experience with something meaningful. He found that reading and experimenting was a fine replacement, augmented by meetings of the Admiralty and related policy meetings. It was enough to keep his days full.

"Come have a seat and some wine," Rupert invited as they looked to move to a comfortable seating area. "Tell me Chichester, what are you reading these days?" One could tell much about someone by the library they kept.

His young friend shifted his stance, moving into a pose more official, a pose that seemed to suit Cumberland’s manner (and repute!) well. It suddenly occurred to George that Beverly might not be going to speak any further, that the weight of response to the royal was solely upon himself. A daunting thought.

But for a start the choice of book seemed to go down well - George smiled and bowed his pleasure at Cumberlands reception. The book further offered a introductory topic, spawning Rupert's polite inquiry as they moved to take a seat.

"A sweet brandy if you have it." the request was directed towards the Princes staff as George took the chair offered. Buttons on the front of his justacorps were left fastened, though the indulgences of the Christmas season protested via the straining 0f buttons.

"I am currently enjoying a number of works, Your Grace. One on the math of Greek architecture, I am also working my way through the minutes of House of Lords Meetings 75 to present, and for a bit of levity enjoy the writings of Thomas Spratt.*"

“We live in bold enlightened times, the printing press awakens the inner scholars within many who might otherwise… ah, but who I am I to say this to you? You the man who mastered the mezzotint!” George halted himself there, though on the subject of the mezzotint and education there was much more he could say.

* eg Which is generally praising of England and not of France

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley participated in his own way, his brown eyes casting from one to the other as they spoke. Chichester was doing quite fine on his own, so he stayed silent but present. Hopefully, that was enough camaraderie to put his friend at ease, for one did not wish another to fight his battles for him entirely.

Least of all would one wish to do so in front of his master when they were hoping to look a useful ally!

Drinks poured, they all moved to sit. Beverley dismissed the servants with a look afterward. He might not have done it had it been someone he did not like or lower-ranking, but one could pay compliments many ways. The greater the person was that served you, the greater esteem the host conveyed, and if the servants were gone it fell to Beverley if they needed anything.

And Beverley doubted the earl would have noticed it was Beverley that dismissed them and not Cumberland. Every now and again it was good to bring an extra element of graciousness, for Germans (and thus his master) could be rather blunt from an English perspective.

Sweet peach brandy was available and supplied upon request. The three men became comfortable as the servants took their leave.

"Mezzotint shall be a way for artists to have their works captured in books," the Prince replied. "I understand you are an artist."

As for George's library. "Architecture, politics, and Spratt. A varied set of interests," he acknowledged. "I shall never have the patience or desire to read the records of the House of Lords." The manner in which he spoke of Lords showed barely disguised disgust. He felt even more anger at the Commons. To Rupert, Commons was the equivalent of allowing peasants to run the estates. It was ludicrous.

"The sort of architecture that interests me is the design of a good cannon; one that gives England a distinct advantage at sea." That was, in part, the purpose of Beverley's recruitment drive after all.

Leather creaked and groaned as George settled into seat, the glass of brandy was sampled and a nod of thanks given for it. "Fine Art* newly available to the masses, and with it a change of subject matter I'd wager." of the raising prevalence of printed artwork.

While George missed seeing that it was Beverly's signal that dismissed the servants, he understood with their departure the intimacy of the meeting was increased. It was a surprise to this Earl who as a rule underestimated himself.

George loosed a chuckle as Rupert commented a lack of interest in House of Lords records. "I well understand, it is primarily a record of roosters chest puffing! Yet I was advised to bring myself up to speed with the current concerns, call it fashions of topic." He explained. "It was not that I am a political creature Your Grace, but to exist within an arena which was thus focused a man needed to have a workable knowledge of the forces at play."

Rupert then used Architecture as a conversational pivot to Design, namely his Cannon. "Ah yes, the Rupertino. A warring machine that might make Brittan rule the waves." With a glance towards Beverly George confirmed his own interest in supporting the initiative. The conversation was moving quickly - he took another sip of his drink to lubricate his voice…

* as in the previous processes were far more limited, woodcuts etc.

Beverley sipped conservatively and listened. He was very used to being a conversational ornament. That was just part of his positive. There was a lot of standing and sitting and listening.

Mezzotint, yes, that is smart to speak of...

He then wondered if Chichester had ever tried to capture his own works in any of the available methods.

His interest grew as the conversation turned quickly to the Rupertinoe. The pair surely did not need his help in steering the conversation.

(OOC - you don't need to wait for me unless there's a compelling reason for Beverley to need to say something.)

As a German, the Prince was more prone to bluntness and direct conversation. He was too old and in too much pain to enjoy the long road.

"You are already aware of the forces at play in Parliament," he replied with a grimace. "They are greed, avarice, pride, gluttony, slothfulness, wrath, and envy. You can add ignorance, cowardice, and deceit if you like." His words were not vengeful, but spoken in a more wistful fashion. He was not someone who wished to display passion easily.

"There are, of course, men of honor, judgment, sacrifice and patriotism present too. It is for only these fellows that our Parliament has any hope." He cleared his throat and then took a sip of his drink.

"I am told that you are a man upon which hope is well-suited and it is for this reason that I wished to meet you in person." He glanced at Beverley when he mentioned that he had been informed of George's character. "The cannons are a good test Lord Chichester. The kingdom can afford them and we can ill-afford to have the enemy possess them. One would think it an easy task to pass a bill that would outfit every English warship; but, the country party fears arming the ships of the KIng and prefer to keep the Crown a pauper. Others support other spending that allows them to swindle funds for their own purposes. And many would be potentates that prefer to spend their days arguing over prerogatives of Commons and Lords and whose gavel is bigger. There is too little attention the common good."

• 4 weeks later...

"Such a procession of cardinal sins is almost poetic Your Grace." George chuckled, and relaxing into the topic he added, "I am commissioned to do a painting of The House, and now feel inspired in include this array of characters into... the back benches at the least." He laughed of that.

"Yet for all the imperfections of human nature, one must still count the English system to be exceptional." he added on a patriotic note.

The Prince had his own thoughts on the topic. Though George was something of a sceptic on that score, he was then touched to be spoken well of by Rupert. Which was surely to say that someone had spoken well of him to Rupert. Surely it had been Robert StLeger - his eyes slid to silently standing fellow for a moment. Thank you.

"Hope need be tempered with reason and practicality." George inwardly celebrating, while maintaining calm exterior. He'd chosen the notion of 'practicality' for all knew that Rupert was extremely so.

The frustrated Cumberland then detailed the parliamentary obstacles before him: they were many.

"Lord Beverly suggested that you might be driven to privately funding the outfitting of ships - which is an extreme measure Your Grace. Surely that alone is the greatest reference to you belief in these new warring machines." George digested what had been said. "Yet from what I have heard these machines are such that they cannot be mass produced. As such, then perhaps The House need not be immediately petitioned for the outfitting of the entire navy, rather, two or three of our finest ships.

"Once these cannon ships are proven...

"May I ask something that will reveal my naiveite on such matters - but is it ever 'done' that the spoils of warring successes be cut to provide a percentage back to the weaponry itself? What say a Rupertinoe fitted ship waded back into harbour with two thousand pounds booty, then ought 200 of that be put aside to a fund for the outfitting of further ships also? You see that I am a man who understand business and investment more than the military... hmm, and perhaps a further 200 be returned in stamp duties to a supporting Parliament."

"I should like to see that painting when finished," Rupert replied, choosing not to ask which party had commissioned it. The painting itself would reveal much.

"The English system is exceptional, I suppose." His voice did not show any love for it. "In theory it permits the rise of good men through avenues other than royal favor. Yet, it fosters groups accountable to no one but themselves. The French are contemptible in their vanity; yet, if Louis wishes guns for all ships, the money is found and the ships outfitted speedily. Here, in England, there are months of debate and squabbles, with one group voted for no reason other than to irk the next group. But for the King, there would be chaos. That the Dutch have managed so well is a wonder; but, men in business are made of gold rather than steel," the prince observed.

"Private financing is a way to embarrass the naysayers. If patriots spend their own money to keep England safe, how can Parliament not do the same?" Rupert could think of a handful of traitors that would never come around, but gave no mention of it.

George floated another idea for funding. It made more sense for privateers than royal frigates, since the Royal Navy was less about booty than victory. "When the Admiralty manages to gain a prize, it is added to the Navy; but, a tax upon privateers perhaps," he admitted. "Though courageous sailors, they often seek booty. If there was a way to account for their cargoes, I suppose we could take a fifth for the Admiralty coffers." Yet, how was it to be policed? Smuggling was already rampant. "Perhaps funding could come from the stores seized in captured towns and forts, but the Parliament never lays a hand on those funds anyway." He was thinking out loud as he went. "The key is to open the purse of Parliament and redirect funds to wartime purposes. Less subsidies for sheep and more coin for steel. New taxes upon foreign goods and English goods going abroad." Those were the traditional sources.

As if realizing that he was wandering, Cumberland ceased and noted "we must show the sheep in Parliament how to find their patriotism. Private funding is a start certainly."

"Privateers form a bulk of our naval forces in time of war and are uncompensated by the country. They are not even guaranteed capturing anything worthwhile and thus aren't guaranteed any payment at all for their sailors, so the venture is already a gamble. Taxing them beyond what is already done and on top of the fees to get a Letter of Marque might not be in our best interests. Fewer privateers equals fewer ships in times of crisis."

Beverley had already suggested placing a few requirements to get the Letter of Marque, one of them being that they had to purchase so many of their older cannon to outfit said privateering ship and to moderate the cost of the more expensive Rupertinoe.

"There are ways of extracting coin without it being so intrusive, I would think. It is all a matter of phrasing and also what might potentially be gained for them." If they manipulated that perception, it might be easier.

(OOC - there are already massive regulations on privateering and merchant ships in general. They have to post bond for their cargos before they leave port and before they even have said cargo. That ensures that they pay their harbor duties on their goods when they return with the cargo, and if they don't return the bond money is kept. Cargo is then inspected upon porting.)

"I would be pleased to provide you with a previewing." George replied of the painting, it occurring to him that he would need to place the royal Cumberland favourably within it.

"There is that." He nodded dark head as the prince rankled over the difficult of mustering so many forces towards a decision. "Yet is it also not like the biblical three stranded cord - perhaps difficult made, but supremely so to break. Once Parliament finally approves the expenditure, the decision cannot be reneged so easily."

It was as George mused of alternative funding methods that Beverly re-joined the conversation. The Earl nodded at the vaults of knowledge then shared by Viscount and Duke, enlightened, and not embarrassed to be so, he'd told them already he was not expert upon such things. "Ah well there you go." He conceded, pleased to hear that those routs had already been pursued to as much advantage as was possible. Beverley suggested making the advantages plainer still to The House. Nodding George concurred, ""I would like to hear such a speech myself."

"Then yes, let us embarrassed the naysayers." he used Ruperts own phrase. "Might two thousand pounds commence their humiliation?"

He named a sum. It was less than he'd previously said to Beverly, but having also spoken to Basildon on such things George was now coy to being recklessly generous to no personal advantage.

"Lord Beverley is correct in warning of consequences. Privateers are motivated by greed as much as patriotism. Perhaps there is a toll or a profit share that might not be too onerous to discourage their service." Rupert's mind considered various alternatives.

George offered 2000 pounds. It was a good start. "Thank you my lord. Now we need to find other like-minded patriots to swell the balance into the tens of thousands. Have you thoughts as to others that would be similarly motivated? Lord Beverley is already well under way in building such a list." Rupert had in mind several lords already that would answer his call.

• 3 weeks later...

"As it happens... is Lord Faraday upon that list? I was speaking to his daughter at the ball yesterday, and learnt that is most interested in advancements. Indeed weaponry." (Hadn't George met Tamsin at a weaponsmith as she tried to buy some unique item for her father extensive collection)

"With the show of jewellery about his daughters neck, he is certainly not a man pinched for a penny."

"Further, I feel I perceived a certain spirit exists within the house, why I would wonder that if a fellow stated that I for instance, had put some thousands towards the cause, Faraday might by nature exceed it." he met Rupert’s eye with a knowing look.

"An initial inquiry might be asked of the Daughter. I would be happy to provide you with an introduction Lord Beverly." Oh yes, Tamsin was likely to be very agreeable towards his handsome friend. After all Beverly was one of those men one just wanted to get very close to. (Georges perspective, probably not so much Cumberland’s.)

"I cannot say that I know the name," Rupert replied. Faraday was not a name he had heard bandied about at court lately. There were too many to remember.

"Sounds like a fine plan," the prince agreed and he looked to Beverley as if expecting his aide to mentally record the name and plan. "I have already spoken with many of the dukes, so it is welcome to find lesser titles to show support."

Things were going well this evening and Cumberland looked content. "What is your other primary cause you support at court Chichester?" Every man had a cause or just plain ambition.

"Really?" And Rupert was a man to know just everyone. The princes comment gave George pause, who was Faraday then really, George had never heard the name either before meeting the daughter. "I was assured that he was peer of the realm, but if Your Highness has never heard of him, then... perhaps deceit has been here uncovered."

It would certainly not be the first time he'd discovered deception at court. While true Langdon had not questioned Tamsin’s credentials either, the trust of a chivalrous gentleman was perhaps abused by a charlatan?

George looked to Rupert for further comment.

Upon other matters Rupert questioned Georges causes. "Ah." George exhaled, pleased of the question. "I am a man of The Arts, thus my causes are the furtherance of such within England. I have commenced a modest residency programme out at my estate in Dulwich, where budding English artists - relieved of the burden of feeding themselves, are thus enabled to grow and develop their crafts." he detailed, "While personally I ultimately aspire to an Art related position in His Majesties household."

The topic made a lighter pause between the more sobering topic of before - yet the topic was one that needed to be worked through still. After a pause George spoke of the Faradays once more, "I might make some discreet inquiries your Grace, and discover the calibre of the individuals before your interests and indeed reputation brushes theirs."

Beverley mentally entered the name of Faraday even if it was not familiar to him either. Then again, he was from old blood and was more familiar with old blood. Newer titles sometimes escaped him. So did more obscure ones.

He raised an eyebrow as Chichester said he would made some inquiries about the man and would be willing to set up a meeting between him and the man.

"I would be pleased to meet with anyone of worth who wishes to support His Highness' causes," Beverley replied with a smile.

"A peer of the realm he might be. So many have been added since the Restoration," Rupert noted aloud. "Some retire to the country and rarely seen at court."

"Art is a noble pursuit," the Prince noted, though preferring invention and science since it could change the world. He gave no voice to those thoughts, not wanting to offend his guest. "What sort of position were you imagining my lord?" Artists to the King were mostly low born. "Perhaps heading some Royal Commission?" That seemed like something that would not be beneath a lord's position. Perhaps he might help Chichester if the cause was worthy.

• 2 months later...

George gave a nod to Beverly, vowing it would be done. 

But then it really got down to what George had come here for today.  Chichester was a man with many (hopefully disguised) self interests.  With the Princes question George drew a slow breath, "I'm pleased that you asked, Your Highness, for indeed there is a very specific position that interests me..." And in low tones George revealed his personal hopes. 

<fade?>

OOC: we can fade out on the conversation here. Pretty sure I have a compendium topic on this I think ref what details George might share.  I am not sure if Rasconteur posted to it or not, but she'd told me that she will pick up the current holder of that position for rp.  Anyhoo, we can flesh out any neccessary detail when George is able to return.

Meanwhile thank you BG&Beverly for this marvelous thread/opportunity.