JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Natural (& Unnatural?) Philosophy- Xmas 1677

Francis Kirke

After his typical morning routine with Tom, Francis set off to meet Newton whilst the boy was set to do some translations. The streets were cold, and Francis made use of a heavier riding cloak lined with fur. It was more functional than flashy.

Arriving at the location on Newton's card*, Francis knocked on the door.

(OOC - I'll let you decide where he's staying during the season You could 50 year fudge or use the Red Lion or whatever else you like <3 )

Beneath his feet rumbled the cheerful sounds of the taproom.

Francis passage through the ongoing seasons celebrations down there had gone largely unnoticed... till he now arrived in the darkened hall upstairs. A single window at the end of the corridor provided backlight to a dust bunny slow tumble, while a little further up the hall a cleaners bucket and mop leant against the wall near an opened door.

Newtons door opens swiftly. "Ah, excellent. Do come in, do come in." Newton was pleased to see him, and stepped back into the room to usher Kingston in. "You were not followed were you? I’ve had the queer feeling of being followed lately. But perhaps it is just paranoia, I can get a bit that was on the cusp of a breakthrough."

The Apollo Room: Isaac Newton currently in residence

The room is on the first floor in the southwest corner of the inn. The floors are covered with a claret-coloured woollen carpet.

A solid oak wardrobe stands against one wall and a small writing table and chair against another. The table has good quality paper, a delft-ware ink well and a few quills.

A small mirror hangs over the mantlepiece and a comfortable chair upholstered in claret coloured wool stands beside the fire.

The room is dominated by the canopied bed. The bed curtains, canopy and coverlet are of crewel work linen, that is linen embroidered in wools. The embroidery design is of Apollo playing the lyre in a contest with the satyr Pan, all depicted marvellously with attention to detail on the nymphs surrounding them. The bed is dressed with Irish linen sheets, starched crisp and soft blankets of claret coloured English wool.

Or at least that had been the state of the room when the Scientist arrived. He however banned any servicing of the room, due to a distrust of servants clumsy hands). So the bed was in some disarray. Books and papers were stacked near the chair. And the closet doors had been dropped off it's hinges to improvise a large table for the man, where contraptions of all sorts were arranged.

OOC: Lets roll with what is more true, as we know he did not get a housed position in London for some years yet.

Francis chuckled, "I doubt it." Perhaps it was flippant to so quickly dismiss the idea. He did qualify, "If I was, it is by one of my cousin's household." He snorted at amusement at the thought. While most people's thoughts might run first to the duke spying on him, it was probably more likely the duke would be making sure he didn't get killed on the street or something equally nefarious. Spying would then only be a secondary purpose. Buckingham could be, secretly, quite sentimental in odd ways.

"Which, my friend, means that if anyone else was following me, those fellows would know and would take care of it," he rationalized.

"But why do you feel as if you have been followed?" the blond asked, not showing any reaction to the state of the room. He was of the notion that the most inspiring of mind were oft the least organized, as if their brains exploded everywhere around them with ideas. Newton would not be the only person Francis knew who was like that!

While initially dismissed, Francis then gave the possibility greater consideration - much to the nodding interest of Isaac. "Very good, yes, and you are likely unknown to my rivals. Though we were seen together at Gresham." a pause, he then added, "But then we did leave separately."

"Take a seat. Oh, shall I send for coffee? Do you drink coffee, sharpens the mind - an excellent drink." There were not many seating options remaining in the room, as the student of natural sciences brain* had exploded over most available surfaces.

Giving a long sigh he replied, "Well it's nothing in particular, a niggly feeling more than much else, a tingling-up-the-neck sensation, like I'm being watched."

"The other day I was sure that a man in a grey coat was following me. I tested him, making random turn after random turn, and he took the same turns. But when drew up courage to turn and face him, he just moved to the side to carry on past me - even tipping his hat. Was that a ploy to throw off my suspicion? I've not seen him again since. But perhaps he knew his cover was blown? Or perhaps he's doing a better job of following in secret now? Leibniz is behind it, I'm sure."

* loved your theory!

"Yes," he smiled. "I am surely unknown amongst academics." He almost could not hold in his chuckle about that. There were no reasons for anyone studying such things to take interest in him. It didn't cross his mind that there were now other reasons to take notice of him. Things like his new title and position. He had yet to fully mess those things in with what it meant to be himself.

"I do drink coffee," he said, taking a seat on the nearest chair. There was not overmuch to choose from.

Francis listened to the story, blond head cocked to the side with interest.

"I cannot claim to know very much of the spying trade," he confessed. "That does sound like a lot of turns. One employed such tactics in Venice if potentially followed by thieves." The sensation of being followed was not a good one. Having been in plenty of foreign places, he knew such heightened senses, and he knew they oft meant little. "Perhaps you should contemplate hiring a servant to follow you, one with enough sense to see if you are being followed." Another tactic used in dangerous cities and on roads.

"Leibnitz?" Up went a blond brow.

Isaac allowed himself a grin at that. "I dare say Pearson would like to forget you." he teased, "but being unknown to any is no longer your privilege Lord Kingston." He pointed out, in his own way, of the prominence now draped around Francis' being.

Isaac was a keen coffee drinker himself, a haunter of the coffeehouses, during one such caffine-fueled afternoon a coffeehouse had even served as a theatre for dissection of a dolphin. Yet todays discovery was not to be as colourful as that. Today, a simple pot from Mrs Golightlys kitchens would suffice. With the signal system devised he put a scarf on the outside of the door and closing it, he then tugged on the service bell pull.

Meanwhile the men continued to talk.

"Ah now. Here is where your experience proves invaluable. Yes, I must hire a man to follow me, to see that I am not followed." It was an excellent suggestion. "Do you have anyone trustworthy you can recommend?"

"Yes Leibnitz." It surprised Isaac that Francis seemed to not know of him. "Gottfried Leibnitz. He was in London a few years back, 73 to be exact. The man had a mechanical reckoning machine, addition subtraction, multiplication and division. We invited him to be a an external member of the Royal Society promptly. He had to return to France then, and has been unsuccessful in being admitted to their Scientific society. You know how the French are. Not so welcoming to Foreigners. Yes but anyhow, since I was 23 I have been working upon a theory, the mathematical study of change. When just a year after Leibnitz was in England, in 74 he published his variant on calculus. There is a fine line between academics spurring on each other’s deductive process, and... well." Newton fairly accused the other of stealing his work.

"I think it was a desperate act to try gain French recognition, to be admitted to their Society. Still, it is unforgiveable." He paced.

• 2 weeks later...

Francis sputtered with amusement at being reminded that his lordship-ness prevented him from being unknown now.

"You are, annoyingly in this case, correct," Francis replied, smiling.

"As to any I can recommend for the task, I must admit I am a neophyte of much of London and her dwellers." He had only been living there for a year and only part of that had been in his own residence. It had been so small much of the staff had been borrowed from those who had served his grandfather and since then Buckingham certainly needed no help with staffing!

"That is no plain servant either, really. A former soldier of some sort would do, who knows the city well enough to get around without being seen."

It seemed there were dastardly plots everywhere one went, no matter one's position or livelihood.

"I do not envy you dealing in ideas as property," Francis replied, in a serious manner. Stealing work in the academic setting was a very high crime. Just like cheating on one's exams or work when one was a student.

"So he thieved your work."

"Well I would not have expected that of the Francis Kirke that I knew." Isaac replied with some surprise. He paused with his comment, almost not saying what it made him think, but then, well he just said it. "So you don't mix with common folk any more?"

Francis might understand that the question did not mean to be controversial, merely seeking to understand the others changed life.

"There is probably an agency I can hire someone from." He settled to the actual question of employing someone. Francis suggested a soldier, to which he mused, "Perhaps I can ask at the Chelsea Hospital then, they might have a retired soldier who's still quick on his feet who can help me out."

"Yes." There was a tone of relief in Isaac's voice as Francis took his side in this. It was satisfying that it obvious to Francis that Leibnitz had thieved! "The trouble is in the proving of it. But for the moment I am most vigilant in making sure I do not make the same mistake again. Here, here look at what he said in his last letter to me last week."

Isaac begun to hunt through a stack of papers stacked in a toast rack on an abandoned breakfast tray.

Francis raised an eyebrow and then chuckled lightly, "No, I surely do, but I've barely been in London a year. How many useful people might I know!" He added the last bit with a snort.

Then an idea popped into his head. "You can use one of the crewmen that I keep to work my yacht and for my warehouse. Good fellows, with families, and a bit too old to be flitting about the seas." Which was not very old at all, really, but that life of merchant seamanship was rough once someone was much passed their forties; it was far from an age where a man was not still highly useful on land. Francis tried to take care of his people.

"The Chelsea Hospital is a good idea as well," he allowed. He was not so vain that he would be offended if his suggestion was not taken.

As to Liebnitz, Francis waiting whilst Newton searched his papers. Surely the man did not confess to the deed!

Upon this particular topic, a trustworthy guarantor meant a great deal. "Your reference means a good deal more than some agencies... and besides, it is a somewhat irregular position that I wish to employ a man for. I am not entirely sure that Mrs Beetons would be able to supply a person with the skills I require." a pause. "these men, they are still able bodied, should they find need to confront or accost?"

"Ah, here it is." While the paperwork seemed a disorganised jumble, Issac was able to lay his hands on the document with relative ease. "while your letter forwarded to me from Oldenburg, the second, was most stimulating yet that too did not arrive with any speed. While dated October 76, it only reached my hands in June of this year past after I reached Hanover..."

"Hah." Newton replied to what he'd just read out.

• 2 weeks later...

"Very much so," Francis replied. "Simply that months at sea are not as preferable."

Those that were older could enjoy other employment with him. It was well-earned, and his yacht was then well-crewed when he had need of it. And his warehouse was protected by men who had killed more than most in decades of sea life. Decades that pre-dated Francis in some cases!

The blond listened to the letter. A furrow appeared on his brow, "Had you been corresponding about ideas? And he is saying he moved around so much that letters were far behind in date in comparison to his work?" Francis was not entirely sure that was what Newton was pointing out, for there was surely a bit of a segue missing.

"That can sometimes be true," Francis mused, as one who had obviously traveled a lot.

"Yes. I wrote to him last year, upon a concept. No specifics of course, yet some theorem. And immediately after he published his works. In this letter." he moved the piece of paper in his hand, "he holds that upon receiving my missive, his own treatise was already constructed, and so published immediately to lock in so to speak, his own progress to the world of academia. His claim is of innocently pursuing a parallel field of study, when we are both fully aware that this is in essence the same thing."

Which was perhaps not the conversation Francis has expected to be having when he came to visit.

"I am not a violent man, yet find myself in prayer often begging forgiveness for brutal thoughts towards him." Isaac drew a deep breath, endeavouring to get his passions under control.

"Then of late, I have felt myself followed." Surely his paranoia was understandable.

"If you could lodge my interest of employing a few of your men, and see if they are interested. I shall pay a fair wage, certainly with a bonus if they manage to capture a guilty party – quite aside from my deepest gratitude."

• 2 weeks later...

"It could have been so, and surely many people pursue similar things simultaneously, but I can see your misgivings." Francis gave a sympathetic nod.

"I should think your recourse would be clear...simply outfox him and publish things even more brilliant. Now you are more guarded so surely your work far safer." He sighed and then added, "I am glad that I trade in things which can be touched, for dealing in ideas is a sticky business."

As to the gents who worked for him in London, Francis doubted there would be lack of interest. Francis was sure to treat his crews well, and sailors were not used to being idle. Extra coin, especially around holidays, was generally quite welcome. Newton detail could hardly be as dangerous as anything they had already faced.

"Never fear, I am certain some will have interest or at the very least know others of repute that would."

• 2 weeks later...

Francis speaking of even greater brilliance and with greater secrecy reminded Isaac of why he'd invited him to call.

"Stone the crows I almost forgot." he uttered, and moving towards Frances he cleared a spot to sit. "I need a reliable source for Mercury, all under the sheets mind, I don’t want anyone knowing it’s me who is purchasing it. The place I have been getting it from so far has been rather... erm, inconvenient, and the quality. Ack. Very poor indeed."

• 3 weeks later...

"Mercury?" he asked. "For your experiments or for...other interests?" If Newton was of a masonic persuasion there might be a familiarity in how he positioned his hand resting against his jacket. By the man's other interests, Francis thought the academic might be one of their number.

Francis was no purveyor of chemicals. Unless said chemicals were from the Turks and the far east! He had little idea where to get mercury, but he knew that he had more than enough connections that could get mercury. It was something used in both Alchemy and in baths for pox.

"It is not a commodity I deal in, but I am sure that I can find a way to procure it."

• 2 weeks later...

"For my experiments upon other interests..." Newton replied softly, eyes darting towards the door with an apt level of paranoia.

The man recognised the gesture Francis made, eyes flared a little at it, yet membership of any group did not open the man to disclose all to it. "This is my own study, you understand." he impressed quietly to Francis, "My study of light." he paused and then added, " 'gross bodies and light convertible into one another; and may not bodies receive much of their activity from the particles of light which enter into their composition? The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature'*.”

Francis revealed that while mercury was not an item he usually dealt with, he had means to supply. "Under an assumed name, if you will." he wished a ready supply of Mercury without the inconvenience of paper trail that led back to him. There were many aspect to the mans life that he worked diligently to conceal from others.

* Newton quoted

• 3 weeks later...

"Truly? Fascinating." Though intrigued, Francis was not entirely sure he knew how the mercury was to be used in such an endeavor. Perhaps that was the secret of it all.

"The workings of your mind are far more than I can imagine," he said, with a quiet wonder.

Such things had always intrigued him, but he did not have that specialized proclivity to engage in it himself.

"That is managed easily enough."

Plenty of people bought things they did not wish others to know about. Such records were not compulsory.

Getting it would be harder than keeping its destination a secret in his mind.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well I have learnt the hard way, that it's best not to reveal all you know..." Newton replied quietly, meanwhile laying his hand upon a sheet of paper* and passing it into Francis care.

"If you could source aforementioned product in a quantity, and have it delivered to that address, I'd be greatly obliged."

* Upon the paper was an east london address, #32 Friday Street.

OOC: Shall we fade out on the scene here.

Archived