JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Divorced, Beheaded, and Died | Late Afternoon, 27th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

"Indeed they do," Francis replied, with a sly smile. He was not sure whether to believe her or not, mostly because Lord Langdon seemed to be a favourite of the ladies.

"Certainly, if you wish. A gentleman can hardly deny a lady, much less a lady cousin," he added, offering his arm.

"How was Lord Maldon?" he asked. "He had initially seemed to wish to contest Lord Langdon for entry. I thought perhaps Langdon was on the King's business. Then I find he was in there with one of the Queen's ladies. Now I find that it is you!" His tone was teasing, but his eyes twinkled with some mischief. He was trying to sense if anything was afoot. He was not the one that would be trouble but Pembroke, her brother, surely was enough of a deterrent to any wishing to bring her to disrepute.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“There must be a few ladies you wouldn't agree to walk with.” Susan took his arm and let him lead her out of the library. Not all court ladies were beautiful, intelligent, or both. She thought that her cousin would have no patience for a plain lady desperate to marry or a girl with nothing but fluff between her ears. “I'm glad I'm not one of them.” She enjoyed his company as much as Lord Langdon's but in a much different way.

“Lord Maldon didn't say much. I don't know what he was looking for, other than records from Tudor and Elizabethan times. I pointed him to a shelf that contained some books from those eras. Most of the shelves probably do. There is no organization at all in there.”

Susan sighed as he teased her again. “It was coincidence, nothing more. He didn't say much either.” This was not true, but she didn't want to reveal the mystery that the two of them were trying to solve. She would then have to explain how they had learned of it and it was best that her brother didn't know that she had been traipsing in the passages beneath the palace with a well-known ladies' man.

“So what brought you to the library today? Or is it a secret?”

"Then I am pleased to have no business in there and only enjoyment in a walk with you," Francis replied with a happy curl of the lips.

The blond chuckled at the protests about Lord Langdon doing much the same as Lord Maldon. Francis bet, at least, Lord Langdon was more flirtatious with such a beautiful lady, but that was more a reflection of his thoughts on Maldon than on Susan or Langdon. Lord Maldon seemed more the shy type around ladies, although perhaps that was more an assumption than true knowledge.

"Did you hear the rumor that he was diddling about with Catherine Sedley?" York's (former) mistress. One who bore his child. Presumably his child. One could never be sure.

"I wish I had an entertaining tail, but I was mostly trying to pass some time enjoyably. I was rereading last night, something I picked up from that auction awhile back, and I thought to procure something similar for once I finish it to my satisfaction."

There were a few courtiers walking through the halls, but no one paid Susan and Francis much attention. They were absorbed in their own conversations and two cousins strolling together was not really worth noting.

“I'm glad you decided to visit the library this afternoon. It's no fun to walk alone and you are always pleasant company.” Susan rarely flattered gentlemen because they usually got the wrong idea and thought she was willing to give them more than compliments. She didn't have to worry about that sort of thing with Francis.

“Yes, I heard.” She kept abreast of the latest gossip in case she found out anything that would be useful to her mistress. “I also heard that Mistress Sedley is actively seeking a reconciliation with the Duke of York. I doubt she would want to ruin her chances by taking up with somebody else. I did see her with Lord Langdon at the ball, though.”

Yet he had danced the first dance with Susan. And he had kissed her under the mistletoe.

She had heard about the auction too. The woman whose possessions had been sold had been rumored to be interested in the occult. “Oh? What kind of book is it?”

"Hmm, is she?" Francis asked, although he had little interest in who York chose to fuck aside. He thought Heather was rather firmly in the Prince's good graces.

"Considering such, I don't think it likely wise to be seen flitting about with Lord Langdon, do you?"

It seemed rather foolish to him. The talk had always been that York was somewhat the jealous type. I suppose that comes from being the second son of a king...

"Agrippa," he answered. "Philosophy. Latin. There is everything from an examination of virtues to elements, numbers, and names. Celestial things too. Quite scholarly." All true, but at its base it was an alchemy text. Not something just of magic, but something more interesting.

Susan shrugged. “So I heard. And I'm not flitting about with Lord Langdon. We just happened to be doing research in the same place at the same time.”

They had been careful that no one had seen them enter the secret passageways and she had been accompanied by her chaperone when they had met at the jewelers and had gone to his office to read the letters that they had found in the silver box. Except for their two forays into the tunnels, they had never been alone. Had Francis seen them on their way to the passages or was he just teasing her?

“I doubt I'll see him again until the next ball.” She grinned playfully. “But I will dance with him if he asks me. He's a very good dancer.”

She had never heard of Agrippa, but he was probably one of those ancient Roman philosophers. “It sounds quite interesting, but unfortunately, I don't understand Latin.” Her grin broadened. “For some reason, you've never struck me as the philosophical type.”

Francis frowned in confusion. He had not said she was flitting about with Langdon but now he wondered that she assumed he was speaking about her and the earl and not still talking about Sedley and the earl.

"I meant if Sedley wishes York's attentions still, it's probably not good to be flitting about with Lord Langdon..." He raised an eyebrow at her. "But I shall take note that you are not flitting about with Lightening Langdon." He grinned.

"A good dancer and horse racer. My, it's a wonder the ladies don't swoon even more. I cannot blame any lady seeking out a good dance partner. I feel guilt for any who wish to dance with me." He was no skilled dancer. Thanks to much tutelage from many, he was a passable dancer. His long legs at least did him well, but he rather avoided dancing. He did not think he was very good in comparison to others. A Villiers measured their abilities on whether they were outstanding or not; if not, they avoided the activity. At least that was true in Francis' case. He did not like feeling foolish.

"Not the philosophical type or not the academic, intelligent type?" he asked with a soft chuckle. "Books are good companions on a ship where most of the company is, admittedly, a bit dull in intelligence." He licked his lips and added, "I enjoy reading a lot of things, and I am not the most skilled sleeper so the evenings in which I am not engaged, I oft read."

• 2 weeks later...

“Oh.” She had misunderstood him and thought he had been talking about her and not Mistress Sedley. Maybe she was being overly suspicious. Susan very rarely blushed, but now a splash of crimson stained her fair cheeks. She quickly turned her head and glanced around the library so that her cousin would not see. “Maybe she's trying to make York jealous.”

She ignored his other comment. He had hit a bit too close to home, for she was flitting about with Lord Langdon, though not for romantic reasons. They had stumbled upon a mystery that they were determined to solve. Idly, she wondered if Francis had ever been in the secret passageways below the palace. Being one of the King's attendants, he probably knew of them.

“If I want to dance with him, I'll probably have to wait in line,” she chuckled. Susan turned her gaze back to Francis when he bemoaned his own dancing skills. “Didn't I tell you once that I would practice with you if you want to improve your dancing? The offer still stands. I think once you gain confidence, you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us. And you could take some of the pressure off of poor Lord Langdon. Some of the ladies who flock to him might flock to you instead.”

Susan grinned. “You are definitely intelligent, but philosophy doesn't seem like the kind of subject that would interest a sailor.” She shrugged. “I would think they would read about ships or how to avoid pirates or something along those lines. Don't you have to worry about your books being ruined in a storm? Or are ships not as prone to leakage as most people seem to think they are?”

OOC: I wrote this reply awhile back and thought I posted it, but I guess I forgot. Sorry for the wait.

• 2 weeks later...

"Perhaps. You would know more of a lady's wiles than I," Francis replied with a smile. He did know some of the games that women played, but he was hardly privy to their entire modus operandi.

"Though I confess I am uncertain such a tactic would work with the Duke of York. Though I think he could be made very jealous, I am not sure that would drive him back to a woman." He seemed more the sort of man to take it as an insult AND be jealous at the same time; plus, he had Heather.

"Indeed you did, but the difficulty is in not wishing to spend time in an activity I care little for," he joked. "No matter how desirable and amusing the company." He winked a blue eye at her for she surely was good company. "But in the time since you offered little of it has been spent at court, so perhaps we shall yet share some dancing." He had gone on the King's progression during recess.

"Perhaps were I just a sailor," Francis said, raising an eyebrow at her, though any offense he might be suggesting was undone by his eyes continuing to show mirth. "That is a concern, but books would never make it anywhere from foreign places to England without a ship, so it is not an unheard risk. Besides, it is a risk you must take if you wish to pass time reading, and there's not much else to do."

Susan was sheltered and innocent, and was just beginning to learn how to use her feminine charms. Francis probably knew more about the game of courtly flirtation than she did. “If you're right, I suppose Mistress Sedley will find that out eventually. Or maybe we will see her parading around on the Duke's arm soon. I am not acquainted with either one of them. I just hear a lot of gossip from my friends.”

She gave him a sly sideways smile. “Dancing is almost a necessity at court. I'm surprised you haven't figured that out yet. Don't you lack for female companionship at balls? Dancing is an excellent way to meet ladies.” Susan grinned when he winked at her, happy that he found her company pleasing. She could tease him more than other gentlemen, as he was family and she didn't have to worry about him taking her playfulness the wrong way.

One golden eyebrow arched upwards. “Truly? Just let me know when you have some time, and I will be delighted to practice with you.” She was curious as to whether he was truly as awful as he made himself out to be. He probably danced quite well already.

Susan had not ment to insult him by calling him a sailor. She knew he was much more than that, but he had been at sea for much of his life. Luckily, he wasn't insulted by her words. Most sailors probably didn't even know how to read. “Very true,” she agreed.

Lowering her voice, she whispered: “Were you ever attacked by pirates?” The pretty blonde had a romanticized view of pirates, due to all the novels she read. She saw them as dashing rogues rather than the cruel and heartless thieves they actually were.

"I do quite fine with the company of men," Francis replied, pertly. He had, after all, spent most of his life on a ship with men. "Ladies are not my sole objective, unlike some."

Perhaps that was one reason why he had any success at all. He was not questing for quim.

"It is a necessity I avoid most of the time." He smiled at her, wondering if he was vexing her yet. All the ladies in his life harped about his desire for dancing. Was it so amazing that he had gotten better but still did not enjoy it overly much?

"I have come across pirates before, yes," Francis replied. "I would not say any grand battle. There was more fighting when I served in the war and when I privateered for the war. Pirates are not all that different from any sailor, just serve no master and follow no laws." They did not scare Francis. Brutality was commonplace on ships in general. Horrible deaths were a part of the territory. Thievery and loss of goods were equally likely devastations. "Have you ever heard of the Duke of Clarence?"

Heather's brother was a pirate who styled himself that way. Francis had met him during recess one year. No ginger was very intimidating in looks.

Now that she thought about it, Susan had not seen Francis in the company of many ladies and she had heard no rumors about him either. Perhaps he preferred to keep his love life private. Sailors spent the majority of their lives without female companionship. Maybe he had become accustomed to spending his time with other men and found women silly and frivolous conversationalists. She had thought about introducing him to some of her friends who thought him attractive and had begged to meet him, but perhaps it was better that she didn't. Most of them were frivolous and silly.

Susan was not vexed at all by his reluctance to dance. “Seek me out if you ever change your mind,” she said with a mischievous smile.

So he had come across pirates during his years at sea and considered them not much different than other sailors. But he had been a privateer and privateers were little more than pirates who worked for the government. “No, I've never heard of him,” she admitted. “He is not a pirate, is he? I cannot imagine a Duke as a pirate.”

Except in novels.

"He is a pirate. A flame-haired one and quite ruthless and dangerous," Francis said, with a nod.

"It is said that he is secretly some relation of one of the Godiva ladies, and with his wit, I would believe it." He imparted it as if a fine secret. "But he is almost never at court and quite outlawed, I believe." He winked and added, "You are safe."

"And he is not really a duke," Francis whispered. "Although he would not be the first duke to have a hand at pirating."

Having only been at court since last spring, Susan didn't know anything about the Godiva ladies. Maybe they were a traveling theatre troupe composed only of women. Whoever they were, her cousin had apparently met one of them. “I always feel safe when I'm with you. I know you will protect me from ruthless red-haired pirates who pretend they're dukes.”

The man he described sounded like one of the romantic pirates from her novels. She wondered if he was handsome. Pausing for a moment, she stretched gracefully. “I think it's time I returned to the archives now.” She didn't want to miss Lord Langdon when he returned.

As they began heading back, she added: “I'm not surprised that pirates are banished from court. He's not a noble, is he? Have you met him?" The way Francis spoke of his wit, Susan assumed that he had.

• 4 weeks later...

"As you should," he affirmed. "And indeed, I will." He bit his lip to hold in a chuckle. He imagined himself fighting off a ginger-haired brother of Heather's who was randy for his cousin.

"Return? You are very diligent about this library business," he replied, but did turn to head back without further prying. Perhaps the presence of he and Maldon had discouraged an earlier tryst between Langdon and Susan, or perhaps there was private business involving the Queen, or any number of things. He was content not to pry about it.

"The rumor is that he was born so," Francis said, contradicting her guess. "I have met him, yes. We have something of an agreement at sea, and besides what English pirate wants to pillage the fortunes of other Englishmen?" It almost made Clarence seem honourable in a pirate way. It was more that Francis watched out for Heather and the "Duke" not only didn't attack his ships but promised aid if needed.

"Perhaps one day Herbert might turn into a pirate? He is a fine captain." Francis chuckled as he made a joke about her brother.

He didn't seem to think there was much danger from the pirate he had told her about. Susan shrugged nonchalantly at Francis' comment about her research. She was happy that he didn't ask about it further, as she would prefer not to elaborate. Saying that she was studying records of the ladies-in-waiting of former Queens would not be a lie, but it might lead to further inquiry which might require bending the truth a bit.

So the redheaded pirate was born a noble and had an agreement with her cousin. Maybe that was why he didn't consider him dangerous. “So some pirates have a semblance of honor. He doesn't sound very fearsome to me.”

Susan laughed at his comment about her brother. “He is too respectable to become a pirate. I think he would be offended by the very notion. If he wanted that sort of life, he could have become a privateer like you.” If Thomas missed the sea, he had not told her about it. He seemed to have adjusted to court life as well as the tall blonde beside her.

They reached the doors of the library. “Thank you for walking with me, my lord. But now it is time for me to go back into the archives.” She grinned teasingly. “Whenever you want to practice your dancing, just let me know.”

Archived