JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Divorced, Beheaded, and Died | Late Afternoon, 27th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

Royal Library

The ceilings of the Royal Library are 15 feet high. Shelves of polished walnut climb the walls to a height of 10 feet and are filled with books. Bindings of rich brown calf are interspersed with jewel-toned volumes of red, blue and green.

Windows set high in the walls above the shelving fill the room with light. A number of comfortable chairs in rich tobacco coloured leather are dotted about for the use of those reading for pleasure. For those who have a serious purpose, several tables and upright chairs are provided.

Damp is the natural enemy of the book. With the palace so close to the river, the battle is waged continuously. The Library has 6 fireplaces: fires are lit every day. The size of the blaze depends on the weather.

Mr Potts is the Keeper of the King's Books. It is rumoured that Mr Potts never sleeps and that he has forgotten his way home as a result of his devotion to his beloved volumes. Nonsense, surely, but Mr Potts does always seem to be in the Library...

His desk, well supplied with paper, quills and ink, is situated near the main door of the library. It is here that he works on his catalogue of the King's books. He also has an excellent view of the room and the doings of those therein, as well as seeing everyone who comes and goes.

The greatest treasure of the Library is situated by Mr Potts' desk. Held in an ever-locked case of walnut and glass, lies the Bible of King Henry VIII, who founded the English church. Bound in the finest of ruby-coloured leather, richly ornamented with gold and jewels, the book is a thing of great beauty quite apart from it's historical significance.

The Royal Library was becoming quite the regular haunt of the young lord. It helped that it was winter and the library was unusually warm due to the fireplaces meant to keep the books dry. He’d accumulated his usual small collection of books and was making notes.

Naturally he’d gone off into an obscure historical subject: he was cataloguing the battlefields of the Civil War. It was a bit difficult because such books were a bit politically controversial, though John had some knowledge from his own family’s participation.

But even he grew tired at times and after finishing another book and sighing at the contradictions he needed to resolve, he stood and dusted off his legs. He needed a stretch and wandered around the library a bit.

Eventually he came back to the front, by Mr. Pott’s desk. The Bible of Henry VIII. John had many conflicting feelings about that particular monarch. The tyrant and the liberator mixed into one. But the Bible itself was a thing of beauty, practically an icon of Protestantism.

He stared at it for a moment, wondering what it looked like in use, what it would be like to actually read through the thing. He wondered if the King ever read it through, contemplating its words… or if he was all but a cynical atheist. He wondered too at the history of the object. Who had made it? Who had given it to him? Where did it rest? And his curiosity tormented him with that particular pain of a historian.

He was staring a moment, and a hand reached out, gently, almost reverently touching the case. He paused in reverie, enthralled.

And absorbed if anyone wanted to interrupt him, or give him a scare.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that he had learned more about the old dagger, Langdon was compelled to return to the Library. He needed to find a record of all recipients of the Elizabethan daggers. Surely Mister Potts would be able to help him locate the proper records.

Into the library he moved, not with a purpose to interrupt Maldon, but to seek out the counsel of the Royal Librarian. Trying to ignore any sign of a burned carpet from the night before, the Earl moved to the desk to seek out Potts. It was possible that Susan Herbert might be here as well, since she had her own research projects.

Wouldn't you know it? I step away for a few moments and there's two gentlemen who need my assistance. Mr Potts scurried from the back where he had just shown one of the Queen's ladies-in-waiting into a room that held records of all kinds from the reigns of former monarchs, and quickly moved behind his desk.

“How my I help you?” he asked, glancing at each of them in turn. To John, he added: “Please be careful with that, my lord. You don't want to smudge the glass.” He had already cleaned it once today. Not even servants were allowed to clean the case where the Bible was kept. The librarian wouldn't let anyone touch it but himself. He couldn't stop lords and ladies from running their fingers over it, though he certainly wished he could.

“Hmm?” John only heard what Mr. Potts said a few moments after he said, “Oh, yes, yes.” He said, removing his hand. It was only then he noticed Langdon’s presence (recognizing the man, in an impersonal sort of way, from last season). “Lord Langdon,” He greeted amiably. But he hadn’t heard Mr. Potts asking how he could help. Even if he had, he didn’t have any need of the librarian just then.

So he waited for a moment, smile trying to combat any awkwardness that might have been in the moment.

As John greeted Charles, the young officer returned the courtesy. "Lord Maldon." He did not really know the man but knew him from the House of Lords.

Turning his attention back to Mister Potts, Langdon adopted an inquisitive tone. "Mister Potts I am looking for any records dating back to the end of the Tudor reign whereby decorative daggers were presented to gentlemen that had performed a service for the Queen. Some of these daggers bore the Tudor rose on the hilt and some did not. I assume that an archive was kept as to whom these daggers were awarded?" He looked hopefully at the old man. If the man knew nothing this was going to be a very difficult investigation.

“Thank you, my lord.” Mr Potts had seen the gentleman who had touched the case many times before. He seemed to be a frequent visitor to the library, perhaps a bit of a scholar. The old librarian was curious as to what he read during his visits, but that was none of his business. The life guard also looked familiar. However, soldiers patrolled the palace regularly, and he had never paid much attention to them. He had books to catalog when he wasn't directing courtiers to different areas of the library or helping someone find a particular book.

Both gentlemen seemed to be acquainted and now he knew their names as well as their faces. Mr Potts could be absent-minded, but he rarely forgot a name. Lord Maldon didn't mention what he was looking for. Maybe he wanted privacy or he had just been admiring the Bible. Lord Langdon, though, wanted to look at old records. No one had asked to look at the archives for a couple of years, and now two people had requested access to them … a lady-in-waiting and a life guard … on the same day. It was rather strange, and he wondered if they had been sent by the King and Queen.

“I'm sure there are. I can show you to the room where such records are kept, but you'll have to sort through them yourself. I haven't had much time to organize things in there.” He moved from behind his desk. “I'll be right back,” he said to Lord Maldon. “Or did you want to see the archives as well?”

It was odd that Potts invited Maldon to join them. Langdon had little interest in having observers oversee his research. He could only hope that the records were well-organized and that he could find readily the documents he sought.

"I would be grateful if you were to show me to the place where the records are most likely kept," the young officer replied. He was eager to begin. A quick turn and nod to Maldon was done out of politeness and then Charles moved to follow Potts into the back rooms.

The cold weather made life a bit more tedious than usual. He was not overly fond of riding in dry weather, let alone wet. The city streets became quite dirty in rain or snow, and his year at court had refined his nose considerably from the sea.

After a rather sleepless night and some morning sparring with Tommy, he had made his way to Whitehall. Perhaps he would cross paths with Heather or another friend. He had checked a few of the common haunts; there were out of the way parlours and nooks much like the wine cellar where he knew his friends congregated. He had failed to come across anyone of interest, so he had thought to head to the library.

Though many seemed rather surprised of it, Francis was well-read and had even spent time at Trinity at Cambridge. Reading was a spectacular pass time when stuck on a ship, and they were also valuable commodities; a man of Francis' business acumen knew how to take advantage of such things.

He had no particular target in mind. He was thinking both of his project for the King with the leather-covered craft, which of course led him to think of Huygens and Newton looking at his calculations. He was also keeping his eyes open for things of a more alchemical nature that might cross his path. Reading the Agrippa book from the auction had given him that familiar itch.

Perhaps he might just peruse for love notes left between tombs?

That was until he saw the little group. Francis came up beside Lords Maldon and Langdon. "Good afternoon, my lords," he greeted pleasantly.

(I edited to reflect Aria's deleted post of nobody leaving for the archives yet )

“Records written in the l-l-late Elizabethan era’d be on Dartford style ragged p-p-paper.” John offered. That was because vellum had fallen out of use by that point but Hollander and the more modern forms hadn’t been invented yet. It was a useful way to date documents at a glance. Well, very roughly anyway.

“Yes, please.” John said to going to the records. He thought it was rather decent of Mr. Potts to offer, admittedly increased by his desire to get into things like archives. But he had no notion that Langdon didn’t want observers. He wasn’t sure what to make of the comment that followed. He wondered if the soldier wasn’t eager to get away from him, but he decided not to presume the worst of someone he hardly knew.

Then Kingston came up. John smiled at the lord who he did recognize. He didn’t know Francis well, but thought good of him generally. Though he was still jealous of the man’s hair. “Good afternoon,” John said in reply, “We’re heading to the archives. W-w-would you like to come too?” John had no reason to believe the archives were restricted.

The stuttering Earl seemed to know quite a bit about the Elizabethan era. Was he an amateur historian? Mr Potts respected any gentleman … or lady … who chose to become knowledgeable on the history of England.

"What do you seek in the archives, my lord? They hold only lists from former reigns … names of those who served the monarchs, names of servants, accounts of supplies and furnishings bought for the palace, gifts given and received. Rare and ancient books are kept elsewhere, if that is what you're interested in.” To see those, he would need permission from the King himself.

Another gentlemen arrived at the desk and greeted the others. Lord Maldon invited him to join him and Lord Langdon in the archives. “You are all welcome to look at them, but I only allow two people in at a time. There is a lady there already, so only one of you can go in right now.” His gaze swept from John to Francis and finally to Charles, who had expressed interest first.

Mr Potts had always limited the number of courtiers that could go into the room to two, mostly to prevent mischief and theft. It also seemed improper to leave three gentlemen alone with one of the Queen's virtuous ladies-in-waiting, especially considering the volatile demeanor of said lady's brother.

"Good afternoon Lord Kingston," Langdon greeted in return before turning his attention back to Mr. Potts. "A lady?" He was now more intrigued. Could it be Susan? He dared not ask; rather he looked inward and began to move that direction.

"Why don't I have a turn and then I can come out and one of you can replace me? I hope to be finished in relatively short order. I am merely looking for one document." While trying to be polite about it, Charles placed his body in such a way as to indicate his intent to enter.

"Archives?" he raised a brow.

Potts explained the sort of things that were there, and Francis' other eyebrow raised. That did not sound like particularly interesting reading material. If he was to peruse them, he would not wish company.

It seemed only two could go, and he surely had no desire.

"Thank you for the inclusion, but I have no immediate business with such things. Certainly do not let me keep you."

He did not miss that there was a lady in the room. Lord Langdon seemed very eager as he moved toward the door. Francis fought the smile from his face. Langdon was yet young.

John was far more than an amateur, although he used a pseudonym. He had yet to find any of his books or pamphlets in Mr. Potts’ library, to his annoyance. He knew they were at the universities though.

"Yes, sounds the p-p-place." John said to Mr. Potts description. He already had a dozen ideas for what he'd like to look up. Rare books held interest as well, but John had done plenty of primary historical work. Even just with what he was doing today, a list of commissions and how supplies moved around would help. A wave of curiosity at what happened to Whitehall's staff after the King fled welled up.

John let out a “Hmm,” as Mr. Potts declared a new rule. It had a certain, hasty, minted-on-the-spot character to it. The polite thing was obviously to wait for the lady to leave so they could stay together. No one seemed very set on that. “I think I should go. I’d be glad to f-f-find the document… for you b-b-before I get to my part.” John offered.

John nodded as Francis declared disinterest. “The archives m-m-must be quite large if they contain so much from every p-p-previous reigns. And they’re p-p-poorly organized. A single document c-c-could take hours, maybe d-d-days, if you aren’t used to navigating… records.” John expected Langdon to be about as good at academic research as John was at soldiering.

John presumed Charles’ move was a general walk towards the archive and so moved with him. He thought he was doing Langdon a favor and smiled pleasantly. Perhaps he was blinded by his zeal for such research. He was only rarely given chances to use his skills. And the last one had been snatched away from him.

Mr Pott's rule about the number of people allowed in the archive had probably been in place since before Lord Maldon had learned how to read. There had been a number of incidents where the records had been damaged or stolen. Some courtiers were still too careless with the old tomes, but none of them had been stolen since. Only those serious about research were allowed inside now.

At least one of the gentlemen was not interested in the archives, but the other two both wanted to be the first to be let in. As they both moved toward the back of the library, Mr Potts chuckled because neither of them were headed in the right direction. There were many doors leading to other rooms. “This way, my lords,” he called and strode toward the door that led to the archives, standing in front of it. “No documents may be removed from the room,” he told them. "But if one of you finds something that will interest the other, you can leave it on the table

“If you want to assist each other in your research, I will ask the lady to leave until you are done. She has been in there for quite some time already.” He rather doubted she had found what she was looking for. It really was chaos as far as organization went. Mr Potts wondered if they would be willing to oust a lady or if one of them would concede to the other's request to go first.

Langdon found Maldon's behavior curious. At first he found it annoying. Had the man not heard him? How dare he seek to outmaneuver him? Part of Langdon's thinking was colored by the belief that Susan was in there and he did not want Maldon in there. Charles wished to speak with Susan privately. Secondly, if John professed knowledge about the document, then Susan might think that he was otherwise aware of their little secret, which could anger her, or cause her disclose something she should not.

Annoyance was in danger of giving way to anger as Charles thought on it, but the growing anger was tempered by the thought that Maldon might be able to find the document more easily. The man looked bookish, like a clerk. Maybe bookish people were better able at researching documents. In truth, Charles had little idea how to locate the desired document. Yet, he could not yield.

"You are most kind," Charles replied to John insincerely. "However, I will not have the lady put out. Rather, I will go in and take a look for myself. If I am unable to find it in a reasonable time, I may take you at your offer." He then spared a glance towards Francis hoping the man might find a way to distract Maldon so that he could be with Kingston's cousin privately.

Francis looked from one man to each of the others in turn. One blond brow arched. This all seemed quite odd to him. He raised the other brow at Mr. Potts. Did he find it just as odd?

Not to mention only Lord Langdon had said what it was he wished from the archives, and Lord Maldon had not, yet he was offering to now help find a document. However, it did not seem that they had come together.

And there was a lady in the room.

Well, there was some insistence between both young men. Though Francis looked their age, he was nearly thirty, and he was now convinced one of both had an assignation.

Little did he know neither did, but it was an amusing thought considering he had previously thought to check the stacks for missives left by lovers.

"I think, gentlemen, that Lord Langdon might be about business he is not permitted to acknowledge," Francis provided, a line he had easily learned came in useful when one needed a reason not to talk when one was in the King's household (or in this case, his Life Guard). "I think we are obligated, then, not to require him to say it and seem discourteous to not wish aid he might not be at liberty to accept." Soldiers and sailors were good at helping with assignations and secret missions, and something was clearly going on, or his mind was fabricating it out of boredom.

Either way, this was quite diverting to watch.

John smiled sheepishly and moved with Mr. Potts’ direction. Yet Langdon still stood before him. He had no clue Langdon suspected which lady was in the archives. To him, the fact a lady was in there was just an unrelated circumstance.

“We are agreed on that.” John assured him as Langdon declared he would not ask the lady to leave. That would be ungentlemanly. John’s eyes followed Langdon’s eyes to Kingston and were followed by a roll of his own eyes. Like Mr. Potts’ new rule (for it seemed new to him), it appeared a rather transparent way to keep a historian from the archives. It was frustrating to be excluded from using his skills. He too was being thwarted. Again. And exclusion stung all the more for his sensitivity to it.

John wasn’t quite sure what to make of Francis’s comments. If he expected John to fold at the merest hint of the possibility of the King’s pleasure, he was mistaken. Still, John had a definitive advantage here. He took out his pocket watch, setting a timer on it, “Half an hour w-w-would be sufficient?” He offered, holding out the watch.

He felt he could find the records in such a small amount of time. But surely a man with absolutely no academic skills would be incapable of such a feat. It would be like John managing to sing an opera without training. So he expected Langdon and the lady (if she was involved) to return suitably humbled.

“What are you looking for, Lord Kingston?” John asked, eager to please the lord who’d stayed with him. Besides, John’s opinion of Lord Kingston was favorable.

Lord Maldon seemed a bit pushy to Mr Potts and he did suspect that Lord Langdon was on business for the King, as Lord Kingston suggested. Limiting him to only half an hour would not please His Majesty and the librarian would allow him to stay until he found what he was looking for. However, it was up to Lord Langdon to either accept or refuse the other Earl's terms. Mr Potts was ready to let him into the archives whenever he was ready.

"I suppose so," Langdon replied to Maldon. Thirty minutes would be sufficient to discuss matters with Susan. As to how long it would take to locate the desired document, Charles had no idea. He supposed it depended upon the number of documents in there. In truth, he would likely be bored after looking for 15 minutes, unless Susan showed an interest in it.

Taking his leave of the rest, Langdon followed Potts into the archive and waited for the older man to give him a preview of the files and any hints he might provide. Of course, upon encountering Susan, Charles would feign surprise.

"Lady Susan, what a pleasant surprise," he declared in a flattering voice. "Your presence alone will otherwise make dull research into a most pleasant endeavor." He waited for Potts to withdraw before speaking to Susan in a soft voice.

"I took the dagger to a weaponsmith who recognized it as a dagger given to lords that provided service to Queen Elizabeth. I came here hoping to find a list of recipients so that we might narrow our search. Maybe the list notes specifically those engraved with the Tudor rose, which was on our blade. I left it with the smith to clean it." All of this information was revealed quickly, in the interest of time.

"What have you learned?"

Once Langdon had left for the private room with Potts, Francis smiled at the young Lord Maldon.

"To be truthful, no one particular tome over another. I was reading restlessly last night, had nothing of note to attend this afternoon and thought I might see what struck my fancy."

Having now ascertained for sure that Maldon had not arrived with Lord Langdon, Francis asked, "Why the particular interest in such archives yourself?" Surely that would land someone on the new Northern Secretary's list, but perhaps the young earl was too naive to think about the dangers. That was not a typical light reading!

Court was full of spies. He would not wish the young man to get into anything unknowingly; he had learned first hand what one could walk into at court. He had chased assassins around Windsor twice and not because he had signed up for the duty. That was simply has first season.

Langdon departed. John was happy at having reached a compromise.

John nodded as Francis spoke of his desire for something amusing. “I’m l-l-looking for something that went missing after the palace was abandoned.” John said. He meant after the King fled to Oxford, of course. John wasn't sure how many of the servants had stayed. He'd be curious to see what had happened. "If sold, the... records w-w-would be in there. If stolen, it'd be reported m-m-missing."

As for spies and implications, John had historical interests. He’d already been in royal and governmental archives, so that bridge was long ago crossed. This was entirely typical of him. Besides, the archives were all from previous reigns. John thought anything about how the palace currently operated would be elsewhere.

Mr. Potts asked them if he could help them find something. “Not unless there are records of the p-p-palace’s historical contents and operations elsewhere.” John said. Since John had already said that was his aim, he looked over to Francis. John presumed Mr. Potts was primarily addressing him.

At first Francis did not immediately understand the young lord's meaning. In fact, he repeated the statement in his mind twice before he clicked "abandoned" into place.

"From before the infernal Republican experiment, you mean?" Francis asked. He had very close feelings about that for many reasons. Not least of it the fact that he had grown up in a rather poor exile because of it.

"A family matter? For you are surely not old enough to remember anything going missing." The blond did little to hide his smile. He was generally a good-humoured sort.

As to Mr Potts, he nodded and said, "By and by perhaps, but let me not keep you from your tasks whilst I have good company."

“There are,” the librarian replied in answer to John's question. “But they aren't kept here. The newest records in my archives are from the reign of Queen Elizabeth. I don't know where the more recent ones are located.” Potts rarely gave things much thought that didn't pertain to his library.

“Very well,” he said to Francis. “I will be at my desk if you need me.” He scurried back to the front of the room to continue his work.

“Yes.” John said as Francis comprehended. He nodded to Francis’ guess. “Family yes, and the King if I find the right thing."

John smiled as Mr. Potts changed things again. “Then what d-d-do you do if you find or receive a record from after 1603?” He asked. Surely he didn’t throw them on the fire for kindling. But the news that the archive didn’t contain anything about the Stuarts was even better proof against the idea that John’s investigation would draw unwanted attention.

He waited until Mr. Potts had left before speaking to Francis, “It appears I’m in the wrong place. Well, I suppose I’ll see if I can find something of interest to the Cecils. I’m here anyway and it is Christmas.” They had been the Chief Ministers during Queen Elizabeth’s reign.

They were also close relatives of John’s and John was meeting at least two of them for Christmas. Something that reminded them of the zenith of their power would be a fine gift. Maybe he could investigate his royal cousins from that period too, though he’d be quieter about that.

“I d-d-don’t suppose you’d know where more recent records are?” John asked Francis, gesturing him back to where he’d been sitting before. The books there were mostly about the Civil War. "I w-w-wanted to thank you, by the way. For the last season, during the affair in the maze. You d-d-did quite well, and the circumstances were difficult." John smiled gratefully.

Francis quietly wondered if it was common for the unfortunate librarian to be somewhat harangued by the nobility. Lord Maldon surely had much to say. Then again many ignored or looked down on those lesser then them; it was simply the way of court and, from his understanding, most of the world. Ships were different beasts, and the freedom of the ocean brought some freedom of the mind. Court was like a great drama to him, and he the student of it from Buckingham's tutelage. It was not particularly his natural ethos.

Equally as unfortunate for Maldon was that Francis was no student of all families; he had never been meant to be a courtier, so such was rather useless knowledge. George knew more of that than he did, and his learning certainly was centered around what was most useful at court in the immediate sense. He had not even known his own cousins at court and had been Middlesex's, now Dorset's, friend before either knew they were related.

"Surely not I," Francis replied of the records. "I, thankfully, have little to do with record-keeping and no cause to know much about it." He had little idea why anyone might suppose he knew such secrets. Although, he mentally allowed, if he did he surely would have to not let on about it. "His Grace, my cousin, might know."

There might be some reason it was not easily accessible though. A reason other than it was records on the current ruling family. Many things went on during those times that were likely best left in the past, and Francis would not put it beyond the Republicans to have destroyed some of that either.

“Lord Buckingham?” John clarified that was the ducal cousin Kingston spoke of.

“Lord Buckingham is… having a p-p-particularly good season.” John said, “I’ve been t-t-trying to think of something to send him to congratulate him on the opera. I haven’t been able to think of anything, though. I d-d-don’t know his tastes.”

If Francis kept an eye on such things, he would know that John had given Master Cole, Master Greyson, Lady Toledo, and Lady Kendishall gifts afterward. The ones for Master Cole and Greyson had arrived at Buckingham’s house.

Francis only had one ducal cousin who was close enough to claim that was alive, unless one counted duchesses. Then he could claim a few more.

"Yes, Buckingham," Francis replied with a soft smile. "I think I only have duchesses to claim aside from the duke."

Francis' eyebrows went up a bit when the other said his cousin was having a particularly good season. It had only been a few days. He did not think the duke had done anything out of his normal.

"Has he?" He was uncertain if Maldon was referring to Danby being fled or something else. Then he nodded, "Ah yes, the opera. He was pleased that his artists were able to compose something of such distinction for the king, and His Majesty enjoyed it very much." Especially Lady Toledo's heaving bosoms, which the duke had nothing to do with. He could not fight the grin off his face.

"Master Greyson is doing an artistic tour. I believe he is even now in Italy. His Grace spent much time there as a youth, and I have as well, so it is most fortuitous. I have not seen Master Cole in a few days but he is given to bouts of locking himself up with work." The blond smiled, now wondering if he should check in on Lucas at Barn Elms.

"His tastes in...?" Perhaps a narrowed vision might give Francis a better idea what might help his young acquaintance gift the duke something appropriate. Buckingham had so very many interests and talents, not to mention already having a plethora of things.

John smiled lightly. He did not know Francis’ family tree.

He was curious at Francis’ inquiry and looked questioningly at his challenge. But he could make little of the grin. Or of bringing up the schedules of Master Greyson and Cole. John hadn't spoken about them, "I see. I had heard about Master Greyson."

As for Buckingham, “Anything, really.” John said, “I suppose I shall send him some traditional thing for an Italian opera patron.” He had been following Italian customs in this, at least as had been shared with him. He was, as far as he could tell, the only one who was.

"There are rumors that the duke is thinking of... m-m-making an opera company, or an opera house. Both, maybe. Have you heard of anything?" John asked.

Francis chuckled and smiled, "I would caution against anything too very traditional for the duke." He could not fight the smile off his face. If anything Buckingham was about being a place apart, a non-traditionalist in many ways.

"If anything he wishes it to be a most English sort of a thing, even if he appreciates the Italian origins of the art." Master Cole was hardly a conventional composer, and Master Greyson had hardly written an Italian opera, truly.

The rumour made Francis nod, "Rumours are generally quite quick to spread, but there may well be truth in that. It was just a few days ago and it was a court presentation for His Majesty, so perhaps a bit premature of a guarantee. His Grace does not discuss all such things with me. He is a man of some whim."

Archived