JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Divorced, Beheaded, and Died | Late Afternoon, 27th- Xmas 1677

Guest John Bramston

John smiled as Francis gave his advice, “Then I suppose I am inventing the traditional thing for an English opera.” It was at least a tack to take.

Still, John’s mind couldn’t stop from straying. He’d sent the writer to Italy. He’d had a Welsh composer writing for a German about a story from Greece. England had its own, native traditions of musical stories performed on stage. It had appeared to John to be an example of the duke introducing a foreign fashion. He’d heard a great deal of sniffing about just that.

“Well, we shall see.” John thought it best to move quickly. It was stronger to follow up success with an announcement than to wait and ask court to exercise its often faulty memory. "Do you think he'd make an English style round theater, an Italian Palladian theater, or a French garden theater?" His house and gardens implied the last, but it was fun for John to speculate.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francis raised a blond brow at the questions about the duke' proclivities regarding the more musical arts.

"I could not speculate." Or perhaps he just would not. "Like I said, His Grace does not often discuss such things with me." Opera, theater, and many such things were things Francis enjoyed or was knowledgeable about because of his travels, but they were not particular interests for him. He and the duke were far more likely to discuss the Italian style in rapier than the arts.

"Our shared interests lay mostly in other matters and he has many artist friends who would discuss opera or other music with far more excitement than I."

Seeking to change the subject from his cousin, Francis said, "I take it you enjoyed the opera then?"

“So you haven’t… seen his house or gardens?” John’s brow furrowed. He’d asked about Buckingham’s taste in buildings and gardens. Such a thing would be readily apparent to anyone who lived there, if they took time to notice it. “Music?” John repeated back, confused. He’d listed styles of buildings not types of plays. John didn’t know much about music himself.

“Yes, I did.” John smiled. There was no other answer well given. “How d-d-did you find it?”

OOC: Sorry I missed this!

Francis blinked some and then replied, "Of course I have. I live with my cousin." What his cousin's house and garden had to do with what Buckingham might hypothetically build to house opera went right over Francis head. The duke had far more than just his London residence. In fact, he had more than one London residence even, let alone numerous estates of varying styles.

"But you were asking me what sort of theater I thought he would build for his opera company should he choose to have one. I am not sure what that has to do with his London residence or garden, but he has not spoken to me about his plans for an opera company or a venue."

It was nearly a moot point, because had Francis gotten the segue that Maldon expected Buckingham to have some form of internal consistency in design, he wouldn't have owned the French option anyway.

"Indeed I did, although I am happy that Lady Sophia is no longer my ward, so I needn't have any misgivings about the risque nature of the piece." He chuckled and smile. "I wonder if Lord Toledo has the stamina for the lady in any conception of the notion!" It was a nice way of saying that Sophia was a handful. He was obviously quite fond of her nevertheless. Far more pointed critiques had been leveled about that aspect of the performance.

“I’m sorry, I suppose I wasn’t being clear.” John smiled apologetically. He had been looking to discuss styles as an end in of itself, not as some way to gather specific intelligence. But it appeared to him that Francis was moving off the point though and John was content to let it drop.

John couldn’t help but sigh at Kingston’s comments. He’d tried to warn Sophia and he regretted not being more forceful when she hadn’t believed him. Though John also knew he’d never have convinced her to back out or even tone down the performance.

Still, Francis’ next comment got a chuckle out of him. “Maybe he w-w-wants to be a saint. If he gets her under to… behave, it’ll be his first miracle.” St. Esteban of Toledo, patron saint of beleaguered husbands.

“She m-m-means well. I suspect she f-f-feels terrible.” John rose to a mild defense. Still, he knew she’d do it again if she could and that she’d get into more trouble whatever the warnings. He liked Sophia but he wasn’t blind to her flaws. It made helping her repair her reputation a somewhat troublesome endeavor.

Emerging from the archive area, Langdon looked to Maldon and Kingston as he slowed a moment. "Lord Maldon, I have found much of what I needed. If you wish to enter to do your own research now, feel free. The lady remains within." He had considered identifying Susan to the pair of gentlemen but there was a chance that Maldon would decline to enter, obviating thereby the need to identify his partner in the adventure.

"I am off on an errand," he announced as he prepared to exit the library. "I shall wish you a good day."

"Catholics do so very enjoy their sainthood," Francis replied with a brief bark of a laugh. "Toledo is rather a stoical gentleman, so I could see it."

Kingston found Toledo to be quite the gentleman, but he had no particular fondness; the man was both a Catholic and a Spaniard, a rather risky association with the climate of the country. While Kingston might be well-traveled enough to get on with foreigners, he knew better than to trust them. Toledo was there to further an agenda which was not English, and that was mostly all that mattered to Francis. That and it put a required, aloof distance between them, no matter his closeness or feelings for Sophia. He had a familial obligation to her that did not particularly extent to the Spaniard to anything beyond cordiality.

As to Maldon's assessment of Sophia's feelings and meaning well, Kingston simply smiled. "I don't think any man truly understands a woman's feelings." He thought for a moment and added, "And meaning well never saved anyone from ruin at any court." Especially a woman. He did hope that Sophia was maturing with her marriage, but he was not about to hold his breath. "At least we can take heart that Toledo will be very busy with his wife."

When Lord Langdon reappeared, Francis gave the other man a nod. "Good day, Lord Langdon."

As eager as Lord Maldon had been to get in the archives, Francis anticipated he would shortly be old news. Had he known it was his cousin in the archives, he might have been likely to plan to linger. Although perhaps he could ask Mr. Potts for direction on any alchemical texts he did not already have between his modest collection and Buckingham's large one.

John nodded that meaning well rarely meant anything, “You are right, of c-c-course.” John surrendered the point. John had the benefit that he was disconnected. He saw Sophia’s antics as playing with the very future of Spain. But John had no inherent interest in Spain. If England’s future was on the line, or if he was Sophia’s guardian, he’d not be able to be as loose.

“You d-d-did good service getting her married.” John said. He meant it too: Sophia seemed like the sort who’d happily jump into the bed of some prince or benefactor. But the life of women like Portsmouth was fleeting. “P-p-perhaps you should offer that service to Lady Alyth’s sister.” John smiled wryly.

Langdon came by. “Good day.” John said with a smile.

John turned back to Lord Kingston. He felt the conversation was drawing to a close but he wasn’t going to rush away. Still, there was just the slightest hint of John sizing up when he could get to the archives. Kingston was right John was still very eager.

Francis nodded and smiled. He could not own the statement too closely or make it far more suspicious that Sophia had crossed a line that had pushed him toward settling on Toledo.

"I do not think anyone offers the sort of help to Lady Alyth which makes her feel anything less than capable, even as good a friend as I," he said with a bark of a laugh. "I'Faith His Majesty wishes the eldest of the sisters married very strongly."

Francis did not need to repeat the rumours for any to know that Fiona had made that very difficult.

"It shan't be me. While I am quite fond of Lady Alyth, I cannot conscience FitzJames."

“Ah yes, I heard about that d-d-dance.” John said. With a wry smile, “There are Protestant monasteries. On the continent.” John had found a few to tease Catriona with. She’d not been around this season.

He’d heard of Fiona too. Catriona had briefly entertained the possibility of marrying her to someone near John, but ultimately decided it would be bad for everyone involved. Since then he’d learned a little of her taste for… if not Cavendish men, at least their titles.

John let out a puff that the King wanted her married, “Oh, I’m sure there’re p-p-plenty of people at his command. That fellow, for example.” John waved where Langdon had just gone. He’d heard the rumors about his last wife. Perhaps he’d be two for two. Besides, he seems like a man who enjoys a battle.

“Ah yes, I’ve heard of him.” John said of FitzJames. He’d heard nothing good, although his family seemed to like him. “Is he as b-b-bad as they say?”

"Lord Langdon is too popular and connected for a Scottish match. I doubt property in the highlands of Scotland has much draw." He chuckled.

Francis wouldn't touch such a woman in marriage with a ten-foot pole, and so he believed neither would much of anyone else without serious incentive. Unfortunately, the King did not have much "incentive" to dole out these days.

"As you said, you have heard of him," Francis replied. "I consider myself generous for a gentleman at court. I do, after all, call many libertines very good friends." Which was as much to say if Francis avoided the man, there was good reason. He was not the sort, though, to lower himself into speaking much of it. The rumours surely were not started by him. That would have only potentially traced back to Sophia, and Francis was not the sort. If Maldon had heard of him, then he had heard the bit about not being trustworthy around females; whether the other gentleman headed such a warning was not for Francis to lower himself to influence. Being a Fitz, the man's birth was fairly clear and no secret.

"One must be careful of one's behaviour at court. There are many eyes and many wagging tongues." Not to mention you never knew the content of someone's friends (or allies) list. Such gems of connections only came out when needed but oft tended to be silent. "Ladies whispering behind fans are dangerous things," he added, with a laugh.

“For m-m-most gentleman at court.” John agreed. “There’s a certain wisdom in m-m-making her… dowry a distant estate.” John commented. He was curious what Langdon’s connections were. He’d never heard of the family or the man before they’d met.

Well, John thought, There’s plenty of poor untitled Scotts around. No doubt that would not be to her liking. He imagined she would not take it quietly either.

John nodded to Francis’ comment, not whispered behind a fan but effective all the same. John didn’t mind libertines exactly. Caroline was one of his fondest friends and he knew she’d come to court to party and sleep around. But there was a difference between someone like her and men like Rochester.

John felt those eyes were but rarely upon him. Still, while he doubted his reputation was good on the whole, no one could honestly accuse him of being a threat to a lady’s chastity. “So there are.” John agreed. He had his own ways of telling whose tongue wagged or who could be watching. He kept very careful track of such things after his teenage years.

John let out a puff of amusement at the danger of lady’s fans. But he nodded to the wisdom of the advice. “One admires the court dogs. There’s not many who c-c-can pee on a nobleman and get away with it.” John smiled at the memory of Francis’ ordeal last season.

Perhaps if one wishes to be cuckolded from the North instead of London... Francis thought, but he was not unkind enough to say it. The lady in question had some quite odd tastes. Then again Francis had seen her declare her love to some traitor about to be hanged as she threw herself at the feet of the King unexpectedly during a picnic. His friend Master Murray had contemplated her and then refused, but he knew little else of her doings, nor truly cared very much. His only reason for caring at all was his friendship with Catriona. He did not wish her such hardship.

The talk of peeing dogs went right over Francis' head, for he was quite unsure to what Maldon was referring. There had been nothing public said about his affairs with FitzJames that either mentioned Sophia or himself as being involved. He was not even sure the man was still talking about FitzJames. His brows were knit some in confusion.

"Do you know someone who has been pissed upon or one who has done some pissing?" he asked, with a light chuckle. "Surely I am missing some segue or some rumor I have not heard." Unless Sophia had said something, which he rather hoped she had not for such would be rather foolish to admit, Francis was not sure what the man was talking about.

"But are there ever any dogs that do? Other than His Majesty's darlings, I have little experience with dogs at court, and I daresay one becomes an expert dodger of dog droppings and learns quickly to have an arsenal of handkerchiefs as one of the King's gentlemen." He was not speaking in double-meanings either. The King always had his spaniels about and nature called frequently. Thankfully, there were servants for that, servants that were not him.

John was not speaking in double meanings on the subject. He had passed from Sophia to speak of actual dogs. “Yes, the spaniel you were chasing l-l-last season. He let loose on those ladies, didn’t he? Or something like that.” John remembered Francis more than the victims, desperately running around and doing his duty admirably.

John let out a small laugh, “If you’ve… managed to f-f-forget it, perhaps that’s for the best.”

As for whether other dogs were so ill behaved, John let out a sharp chuckle. “I w-w-wouldn’t know.” John said truthfully. “My dogs are well behaved, or as well behaved… as d-d-dogs can be. And one has servants for keeping them c-c-clean.” John smiled at the thought of his animals. He’d always had a fondness for animals and dogs especially,

“Say, d-d-do you like dogs?” John had a litter of puppies he was finding homes for. Francis seemed a worthy fellow.

"Ha! Right! Splashed more like, if I recall correctly," Francis replied. Thankfully, Sophia had not repeated the affairs with FitzJames.

"I fear what I recall most is the interplay between the two ladies, so I had forgotten the ordeal with the dogs." He chuckled some more and smiled. He now had far more than enough handkerchiefs. He hoarded them up his shirtsleeve then he was attending, mostly.

"If I did not, I am not sure I would own to it!" After all, he served a royal who was clearly excessively fond of dogs. "But I am fond of dogs in truth, though perhaps more the larger ones. I have a poodle." It was more the sort of dog for sport or guarding, with more ferocity than a spaniel.

"His Majesty made me promise not to let Scotty mate were he to gift me with a pup one of his favourite girls just had," he added, with a laugh. "'No Scots for his girls,' was my royal master's decree."

John just let out a puff. Truthfully he didn’t remember the specifics that well either. “Well, if you need it, I know a very good performer who can p-p-produce infinite handkerchiefs from his sleeve.” Such a trick was simple sleight of hand but it amused him to think of Francis responding to the King’s romp by performing a magic length of brightly colored handkerchiefs. Ideally while festival music played.

John laughed at Francis’ reply. “I’m m-m-much the same. Small dogs are great, but these d-d-days most of mine are larger.” John was fond of animals in general but dogs especially. He usually picked one or two that he was closest with to be his companion. While that had started with a dog small enough he’d often carried her, these days they were wolfhounds.

“My collies recently had their f-f-first litter. I’m looking for good homes, if you’re interested. P-p-perhaps you could train one of them to herd his spaniels.” Or better yet, his mistresses.

John laughed at the King’s decree, “Ah, but think of the hairdos!” John said of a poodle with one of the King’s spaniels. “So cruel.” John said, exaggerating his expression as was his (rather amateur) way of feigning.

"Since finding out how very many I can shove in my sleeves, I would think such a feat both possible and highly entertaining," he replied, his chuckles lingering as he imagined it.

"Shall I confess that I have nightmares of trodding on one of my royal master's darlings on accident and being summarily dismissed?" He tried to contain his amusement to library volume, but it was quite true.

"In frankness, I would love one, I am not sure how the Duke feels about more dogs about. After being inundated much of his life with the King's dogs, it is worth the respect of asking his permission. I am grateful, though, that you recognize a good home when you see one, Lord Maldon."

If Buckingham did not care, he was sure Tom could be wrangled into helping take care of a puppy.

John let out a laugh, “It’d… get you some notice at any rate. Everyone… needs the odd p-p-party trick.” John would leave it to Francis to seek that out or not, though.

He laughed a bit harder at Francis’ nightmare. “Ah, but they’re easily b-b-bribed. Sneak them a b-b-bit of meat and they’ll whine whenever you’re away.” They were fickle too, but John imagined that was true of most people Francis dealt with anyway.

John beamed at Francis’ reply. “Of c-c-course.” John doubted the duke’s attention would dip so low as to Francis’ pets. But he appreciated Francis respect for his cousin in asking. “When you have your answer, you c-c-can drop by and have your pick. Or... if you want I’ll choose one for you.”

Perhaps Lucas’s and Francis’s collies would find each other. John smiled at the image of them playing together.

It was not the first time Francis had heard of bribing the royal darlings. One had to bribe the royal darlings sometimes. They were naughty and were always about the apartment, often where they were not supposed to be; a few were even good at escaping into the palace.

His respect of Buckingham was quite great, for Francis had never even met him before he had come to court, and he had been raised with a healthy dose of reverence. Plus, Buckingham had a princely ego.

Francis smiled and then quipped, "Perhaps when I have my answer, I shall lie down on the ground most indecorously and see which one picks me."

Kingston smiled at such an idea, one corner of his mouth higher than the other.

Mayhap he would need to compare on which one would lay with him on the bed the best.

Chancing a look toward the room Langdon had vacating, Francis said, "You should go on your search...for I must admit a curiosity of which lady was in there with Lord Langdon, and we may never know if one of us does not see." A slightly mischievous look came over his face. Information was always good to have at court, no matter how innocuous it might seem. "I can linger looking," he added.

John laughed, “D-d-do that and you’ll walk away with half my pack.” John had his own household and had not hesitated to stuff it with animals, especially dogs. Most of them were quite friendly. “Bring t-t-treats and you might get all of them.” John smiled too.

“As you say.” John said, standing with a bit of help from his cane. If Francis’ curiosity lasted that long, perhaps they could circle up when they next met. John took up his personal effects from the table, “Good d-d-day, if I don’t see you afterward.” John strolled over to the archives.

"Ha! But that would be cheating. I want to see which one chooses such an unfortunate man willingly," the blond joked, having a character that teased himself before others could. It was a far more useful skill when he had still be rather naive about some things at court.

"Good day if such is the case," he replied.

Meanwhile, he did linger, slowly looking at stacks and thinking as he moved back toward Mr. Potts.

Mr. Potts was at his desk, busy with his cataloging. Every now and then, he looked around the library, taking note of who was there and what they were doing. He saw Francis moving toward him and to the librarian, it seemed as if he was searching for something. “May I be of some assistance to you, my lord?” he asked.

Francis smiled at the librarian and said, "Indeed, I am hoping that you might." He had come there thinking mostly to occupy himself for a bit, but all the earlier talk had given him other ideas.

He folded his hands behind his back, took a look around to make sure nobody was within hearing, and continued, "I am in pursuit of something perhaps both alchemical and philosophical in nature, but I am also curious if there are any purveyors of the more rare sorts of books that you might direct me to? I am not as familiar with London as some. I was thinking of finding tomes of some rarity for gifts, perhaps for my cousin the Duke of Buckingham or even for His Majesty. Trithemius or the like, maybe..."

That was to say that it would need to be something more rare or obscure because a man like the Duke would have a rather extensive library. Potts would know all about the King's books and hopefully what might please him. Francis knew both of them were not as singularly focused on fucking as most seemed to think.

"If you'd be willing to aid me, I'd be happy to aid you in a similar pursuit. I would be pleased to give lists to my captains of anything you might be in search of that could be found in the foreign ports they travel to."

The way Lord Kingston surreptitiously surveyed his surroundings told the Librarian that he didn't want anyone to overhear their conversation. This was not uncommon. Many courtiers had asked him for books that they didn't want anyone else to know they were interested in.

Lord Kingston, though, was looking for unique gifts for the King and the Duke of Buckingham. Mr. Potts knew of Trithemius, but there were none of his books in His Majesty's library. Because of the controversial nature of the German abbot's works, he would not stock them unless they were expressly requested by the King.

His ears perked up at the notion of having books brought to him from foreign lands. There were quite a few tomes he would like to get his hands on that were not readily available in England.

“Have you tried Ashton's Manuscripts and Books on the Strand? Mr. Ashton deals in rare books and might be able to find what you're looking for. If you prefer not to contact him yourself, I can do it for you.” He had performed the same service for others before.

Francis nodded back at the man amiably, golden curls tracing across his shoulders.

"As I have said, my dear Mr. Potts, I am not the most familiar with London, so I have not yet. If it would not detract from your duties, your inquiries would be most appreciated. If there is anything of interest from your inquiries, I will surely pursue it myself. Your guidance is appreciated, and I should not wish to send you on an errand that is beneath you." He was not the king, after all, and Francis had learned that some conscientiousness was useful. Buckingham was quite the example of making 'friends' not servants of even lesser men, and Francis had rather enjoyed that about his uncle.

Speaking quietly, he said, "Like many things of our royal master that are best not publicly displayed. I wish for something that appeals to his more private sensibilities and interests. If not of alchemical things, there are other interests. His Majesty has shown me some rare designs of da Vinci, do you know of any tomes which speak further of such things or other oddities in mechanical things or inventions?" In other words he was asking for what things the King (or Buckingham) would never put in a library for others to see but would read personally. If Mr. Potts kept the King's books, Francis would wager the man would know what would make a good gift or of what the King was already in search. "I can put together a list of what I have seen of my lord duke's."

Depending upon what might be found, he could contemplate if it would make a better gift for one or the other. He simply had been struck with the idea whilst inhaling the sweet smell of things one could not touch: knowledge. Francis was rather fond of books himself.

Mr, Potts and Mr. Ashton were not exactly friends, but they had a love of books in common. The librarian knew that the bookstore owner would give him a better price for rare books than he would give a lord like Francis, and he didn't mind assisting him in finding books that appealed to the private interests of the King and the Duke of Buckingham.

He wouldn't even raise the price so that he would make a profit like he had done with some of the more arrogant courtiers he had performed similar services for. Lord Kingston was quite considerate and didn't order him around as if he were a person of no consequence just because he didn't have a title. He was even offering to do some of the work himself. That was very rare, in the librarian's experience.

“I do know of some books on those subjects but they are difficult to come by. A list of the Duke's books would help me to find something that will interest him. If it meets with your approval, I will make some discreet inquiries after you give me the list and get back to you. Do you need these books before the beginning of the year?” He suspected that Lord Kingston wanted to present them as Christmas gifts.

"I was thinking to perhaps use them as gifts, but I would be interested in such even if it took longer," Francis replied. He definitely had a rather gentle disposition in his day-to-day interaction. It was one of those characteristics of his real father that had either been bred or imbued into him.

"I think one of the grand perks of being a king or a duke is in such a breadth of books, but I wonder that it seems to me that they are not oft used for gifts," he mused. Francis had a very active everything, including his mind, so he was a bit more studious than most would anticipate from reputation alone. Plus, books were good company in the boring stretches of ocean. One could only spar so much with one's teenaged ward, and the night hours were very lonely.

"But I shall not keep you from your work. As soon as I have the list, I will bring it to you." He did not wish to send it, because he was well aware that his uncle would likely know anything that went on at his house or went out from it! That would defeat the purpose of a surprising gift.

“I will see what I can come up with and how quickly the kind of books you are looking for can be procured.” The librarian was not included in court events, so he didn't know how often books were presented as gifts. He had been asked for them before, but no one had told him to whom they planned on giving them. Maybe a couple had found their way into the King's personal library, or even the Duke's.

“Very well, I shall be here when you have it ready.” He was almost always in the library, as most courtiers would know.

As he was speaking, Susan walked out of the archives and toward the door that led out of the library. When she saw Francis talking to Mr. Potts, she paused and glanced in his direction, a smile curving her lips.

"Grand, it is much appreciated. I will leave you to your business then. It seems it was my cousin that was in your archives, so I should say hello to her," he added, with a nod toward Susan.

Once done with Mr. Potts, he ambled toward Lady Susan and smiled, "Hiding in the library, my lady? With dashing Lightening Langdon no less!" He added the last bit in a whisper.

As Susan had hoped, her cousin was not too busy to say hello. She chuckled at his comment. “Quit teasing me. I was doing some research and I had no idea that either Lord Langdon or Lord Maldon would have the same idea. The archives seem to be a popular place.”

She looked toward the door. “I have been sitting for too long. Would you like to join me on a stroll through the corridors? It's musty in the archives and I could use some fresh air, but it's probably too cold to go outside.”

Archived