JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Charitable works aka What madness is this?! | 25th 1pm- Xmas 1677

Hope

Sophia had heard of Lord Danby and that he was no longer at court, but that was the extent of her knowledge. Perhaps she would ask Lord Maldon about him when they next met to discuss politics. Maybe he had been greedy and stolen some of the crown's money. That was all she could think of that could compare to the warden's alleged crimes.

The Royal College of Physicians. No wonder she had never heard of it. There must be millions of organizations to supervise various occupations and practices. It did seem as if a hospital of any sort would fall under their jurisdiction. “I do not know Lord Langdon well or I would ask him, but I do not mind going to Chelsea to make inquiries about the doctor you speak of.” A Duchess would be able to deal with an organization much more effectively than the wife of a foreign Ambassador, so the RCP was better left to Anne.

“I will be right back,” she promised. Standing up, she walked to the door, pulled it open softly, and stepped out into the hall.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophia was nearly collected by the door as Douglas opened it, stepping back into the room and pulling up short as he realised the petite Ambassador's wife was right on the other side. "Carefu' thair, Lairdy Toledo." He said softly, blue eyes glancing from her to Anne and back again. "Thair's a wee bit o' hexcitement oot in the coortyard."* He added, being able to hear things better from the corridor.

Would the ladies be ready for what they would find? He hoped so, but he didn't expect it. Still, Douglas was here to facilitate and guard; let them guide their own adventure. "Wuid ye Lairdies like tae see?"** He asked, offering Anne his arm.

His thoughts had run along similar lines to Sophia's on seeing the opulence of the office, though there was no way to know whether the Warden was redirecting funds or simply taking bribes and benefiting from the misfortune of others. Might he perhaps be bribed to take someone who wasn't actually insane? Douglas, with a suspicious policeman's mind, suspected that Bedlam might be a tidy place for that inconvenient relative.

Subtitles

* "Careful there, Lady Toledo. There's a little bit of excitement out in the coortyard."

** "Would you ladies like to see?"

OOC: Welcome back Doug

IC:

The sound of regular footsteps sounded beyond Douglas, time marching on, or the wardens return? "Ah there you are." it was the latter, the well dressed Warden appearing at an apt moment. "We are ready?"

He was prepared to lead the ladies back down the hall they way they had come, till they reached a doorway that opened into a day room that faced out to the parklike grounds at the front of the building, in which was a fireplace and a long table. Sat at that table was a scattering of men who stopped talking as they entered. There were also a few chairs around about, spread out, and peppered with a further five persons, two of whom were woman, one being particularly plump and somewhat disgruntled.

Sophia nearly collided with Lord Dundarg at the door, and she jumped back with a startled little “oh!” Now she was back in the room again, and when he mentioned that there was excitement in the courtyard, she attempted to peer around him and out into the hall. “What kind of excitement?” she asked. Had the escaped patients been caught and brought back?

The warden reappeared and asked if they were ready. The young Baroness nodded and followed Anne like a proper maidservant as he led them to a room that was positively plain compared to the office they had just left. There were people sitting at the tables and in chairs, but she wasn't convinced that they were patients. If they were insane, they wouldn't be talking together amiably. They would be wandering around the room muttering or cowering in corners.

Had the warden coerced some of the guards and servants to pretend to be patients? Sophia scanned their faces for the guards who had helped her with the cake or any of the others she had seen. The plump woman who looked irritated was most likely the cook. What was the warden going to such lengths to cover up?

She stepped closer to Anne. “Do these people look insane to you?” she whispered. “I think they might be guards and servants pretending to be patients.” Sophia spoke low enough that the warden would not be able to hear her words, and she looked over at Douglas with a curious arch of one golden eyebrow, hoping he would realize that she was suspicious. Perhaps he was too.

Picking up the boxes of cakes that they had brought, Douglas walked with the ladies to the room the Warden had prepared, noting even as Sophia did that there were awfully few people present and they didn't look particularly insane. He strongly suspected that the Warden was trying to give them a sanitised experience, enough to satisfy them so that they would leave content.

As Sophia looked over at him he cause her dubious gaze and raised brow, echoing the expression as he nodded slightly. He wasn't alone in his doubts.

But he was here as a facilitator, ostensibly a guard for a member of the extended Royal Family. He glanced at Anne, one dark brow raised, wondering what her take on this was. Would she be satisfied? Somehow he doubted it. Rather than stir the pot himself however, he would follow the ladies' lead. After all, this was their adventure.

"Haps the Warden wuid do th'honour o' makin' intraeductions?"* He suggested.

Subtitles

* "Perhaps the Warden would do the honour of making introductions?"

Anne meanwhile was beginning to think Sophia to be a doubting Thomas. First she thought the Warden a thief, now she thought him trying to trick them, next she'd think... well, something else distrusting.

"It is fine. Not all mad people shout and wail, why look at Lord Whitehurst ward, all she does it sit and knit all day, never says a thing." words whispered, and then the Duchess turned and smile to the man himself, their host. Or was she the hostess, since she was the one who'd brought the cake.

"I was thinking I might visit regularly, I fancy myself to become a parton perhaps." remembering to follow through on their plan, she hoped it would appease Sophia's fears.

"This is a lovely... ah, dining room for the patients." Anne commented, and turning to Doug who carried the cakes, motioned that he lift the lid.

All in all it was far less scary than she feared, and was grateful for that fact. Perhaps Sophia would dare sing something more interesting than a lullaby afterall? But that was up to Sophia, Anne wanted to see their faces become happy as she gave them cake.

The warden meanwhile motioned Sopha to a clear space near the window where she might sing. There was little point to introductions, after a quick consensus the Warden and Anne agreed so much talking would only ruin the performance

Doug was left to his own devices while all this went on... though he, like Sophia, probably both noticed that the man sitting next to the fat woman was either the gateman himself, or the gateman's twin.

OOC: I tried downplayed Dougs comment, but realise now I should have corrected you. There is no commotion in any courtyard, I'd written 'there was much activity out beyond the hallway', meaning still indoors down the hall. Outside there is no patients. None returning nor escaping!

"

Sophia had never met Lord Langdon's ward, nor any mad people at all, for that matter. Maybe Anne was right. She might be suspicious because the warden had made a poor impression on her and she was blaming him for anything she thought was out of the ordinary. Still, those men had been talking in a friendly manner. Weren't insane people usually lost in their own little world? According to the Duchess, Lord Langdon's ward never spoke a word. That could be the proof of her insanity.

She wondered what the warden would say to Anne's offer of patronage. She almost said that she would like to come with her, but she was pretending to be the Duchess' maidservant and her involvement was a given.

While Anne opened one of the cake boxes, the warden gestured to a spot by a window where she could sing. As she strolled toward it, she noticed the man sitting next to the woman who looked like a cook. It was the guard from the gates, she was sure of it. These were not the hospital's patients. Anne thought nothing was amiss, but she believed that Douglas did. She had seen him nod when she had looked over at him. He was skeptical too.

“Lord Dundarg, would you come over here for a moment? I could use your help."

Following Anne's direction, Douglas opened the boxes and set them on the tables. Like Sophia he was taking in the details and coming to the conclusion that something was gravely amiss. Things were far too sedate and normal and he was certain that he'd seen one of the 'patients' only a few minutes ago, in a uniform.

"Fergi' me Yer Grace, but 'haps we shuid wait until aw the patients er here?" He suggested as he set the box down. "I un'erstand tha' Bedlam houses quite a lot o' poorly folk."* Far more than were represented in this little room.

He might have said more, but at that moment Sophia asked him for some help. "Aye, acoorse."** He agreed, joining her as she moved to one side of the room, wondering whether she wanted him to shift some of the furniture, or whether she like he had noticed something odd.

Subtitles

* "Forgive me Your Grace, but perhaps we should wait until all the patients are here? I understand that Bedlam houses quite a lot of sick people."

** Yes, of course.""

Douglas had not been there when the Warden had agreed, so Anne now explained to Douglas what the arrangement was. "These are just a few, who's conditions would not be agitated." she gave a smile, and then turned to moved to address the warden. "Ah... where are the plate and cake forks"

Even as she turned her head hands were reaching for the box. While these people might not be who they were pretending to be, they did seem to be hungry.

Turning back Anne expressed, "Oh dear!"

The Warden shook his head, and sagely said "It is a precaution Your Grace, the mentally deranged have little need for cutlery, and in fact might only injure themselves with it. More than one eye has been accidentally plucked out by a fork - and that in the hands of theoretically 'sane' folk. Here at Bethlehm Hospital potentially dangerous objects are all removed."

"Oh my, who know it was such a complex subject."

"Quite so, Your Grace, this is why it's best to leave their care in the hands of those with the training and experience. I wonder, if rather than a tour of the hospital, you might be interested to attend one of our tri-weekly meetings of the board, where we discuss cases and progress." he redirected.

Meanwhile Douglas and Sophia had their little tete a tete... so Anne was unable to consult to with Sophia about this change in plan.

"Your maid, and the guard, may attend as well." the Warden encouraged seeing the Duchesses uncertain look.

So Anne nodded, they could change their plan later she supposed. Anne could see that Sophia was also was changing plans, having chosen not to sing after all.

The cake was disappearing fast.

"I'll see the rest of the cake is distributed to the rest." said the warden, "Thank you for your visit, Your Grace." he said in tones moving towards farewell.

Sophia watched the phony patients reach for the cake with greedy hands as Douglas joined her. Either they had been coached quickly for their role or they were imitating the way the real patients behaved. They didn't fool her, though, and she hoped that Anne was not fooled either.

“Thank you, Lord Dundarg,” she said, loud enough that the warden could hear. Lowering her voice, she continued: “I offered to sing for the patients, but these people are not who they seem. I'm absolutely certain that man over there is one of the guards and the woman beside him looks like a cook. I think the warden coerced them into pretending to be patients. For some reason, he doesn't want us to see the real ones. I don't think we should leave until we see for ourselves that they are properly taken care of. You saw his office. I think he is neglecting the patients and stealing the hospital's money.”

She glanced over at the Duchess and the warden conversing together. “But how do we call him out on it? Should we just tell him that we know he's hiding something from us? Or should we be sneaky about it? I could go ahead and sing for them while you slip into the hall and have a look around. I can say I sent you to fetch something for me from the carriage. Maybe you can find where the real patients are being kept. I doubt the guards will try to stop you. I wish I could go with you, but I can't think of a reason for us to leave the room together … unless we say we are bringing more cake from the coach. But then Her Grace would have to play along without knowing our true plans.”

She glanced back at Anne. The Duchess didn't look as if she was the least bit suspicious. “Do you know of something else that might work?”

Douglas hadn’t been there during the discussions with the Warden, but that didn’t stop him having his own opinions as to what was going on. Still, he wouldn’t cause Anne to lose face by revealing in public that she’d been duped. If she was happy for the moment, then so be it. After all, hadn’t he been concerned about the danger the patients might face?

Speaking quietly with Sophia, it became obvious that she also knew something was amiss. He listened to her concerns, and her increasingly wild plans for finding out the truth, though he raised an eyebrow at the latter. How could they call him out?

“Amember we’re servants.” He said quietly. “T’is fer Her Grace tae caw the man oot.”* He pointed out. Otherwise they would be embarrassing Anne by not knowing their assigned places and questioning her judgement.

As Anne’s guard there was only so much that Douglas could do; she’d already verbally put him in his place. As her maid Sophia might do more. “If ye kin persuade her tae insist on seein’ th’other patients, touring the residences er white’er…” He let the thought trail off, watching Sophia intently. “I’m sure she weel listen tae ye.” He added quietly, laying his hand on hers for a moment to emphasise his trust in her abilities.

Subtitles

* “Remember we’re servants. It’s for Her Grace to call the man out.”

** “If you can persuade her to insist on seeing the other patients, touring the residences or whatever… I’m sure she will listen to you.”

Anne looked towards Douglas and Sophia, where they talked quietly, a silly-jealous part of her wondered if he was telling her something nice?

"I am so pleased." she turned back to the Warden. She did wonder why Sophia had changed her mind about singing, but, well these things happen.

"When is the meeting?"

Every three weeks the board met to discuss various matters, including some patients progress. While it wa not a usual thing to invite an outsider along, the Duchesses patronage of Bedlam might befit a bending of a rule or two. He'd have liked to ask how much patronage she was thinking of? A couple of cakes was one thing, cold hard cash something else entirely.

"The last meeting of 1677 is next Wednesday, we start at 10 and continue until we are done."

Until Douglas reminded her of their roles, Sophia had been tempted to simply ask the warden to bring in the real patients. The Ambassadress of Spain could have gotten away with it, but a maidservant or lady-in-waiting could not. Usually, the young singer became immersed in any part she played, but she was distracted by thoughts of abused and neglected patients and she couldn't get the idea that something was terribly wrong out of her mind.

But how could they convince the Duchess of this possibility? She was conversing amiably with the warden as if nothing was amiss. “I have already told her that I thought the patients were really guards and servants and she seemed to think I was just being paranoid. If you also tell her of your doubts, then maybe she will listen, since we both believe the same thing. I did convince her to take a tour of the rest of the hospital, but the warden will probably make up some excuse to keep us away.”

She sang a few quick soft notes, as if warming up her voice.

“I will sing as planned and while the warden's attention is on me, perhaps you can speak to her?” Considering the way the warden had leered at her earlier, she thought her heaving bosom would be distraction enough.

Douglas had already tried to speak to Anne about the patients and been slapped down by her because he hadn't 'been there at the time'. He didn't think she was going to listen to him, and strongly suspected that they'd have to discuss the whole thing afterwards, but he wouldn't know for certain until he said something. "I weel gie't a try." He told Sophia. "Sing loodly."* He suggested, that would cover Douglas's conversation with Anne.

As they parted he adjusted a couple of items of furniture out of Sophia's way, as though that was all she had wanted him to do, then he moved back to Anne's side. "Sophia's rairdy tae sing."** He informed his 'mistress' simply.

He waited until the song started, then bent down to clear Anne's empty plate and cup away from her elbow, that she might relax and enjoy the music. As he bent he spoke quietly. "Luik at the patient on the left." He said. "He's the gate guard."***

If Anne could see it, that might be enough. And if not, best to wait until they were outside.

Subtitles

* "I will give it a try. Sing loudly."

** "Sophia's ready to sing."

*** "Look at the patient on the left. He's the gate guard."

As the Duchess and Warden had been making their farewell,s it came as a surprise when Sophia started to sing after all. "Ah, her feet must have warmed." Anne smiled to the warden, inventing an excuse (she had bee left in the dark to what was going on while Douglas and Sophia had been whispering!)

Douglas came stand next to Anne then, and as Sophia sung he whispered to her now. Feeling rather self conscious of all the whispering now, Anne wished he'd not do that. "Ahem." she did not whisper, but simply commented to the Warden, "My companions notice that that patient looks like the guardsman."

The warden froze a second, and then sighed. "Ack, I should have known better your Grace, you have found us out. These are infact all employees of Bedlam. The truth of the matter is that I did not want to put you in any risk of danger." he turned to the lifeguard then, "I am sure you understand, Captain, that Her Graces care is far too important. I simply could not guarantee her safety in a room full of the mentally deranged."

"Oh. Well, that is terribly disappointing." Anne pouted, a little deflated.

"But you have my word that the rest of your cakes shall meet their intended recipients your Grace."

OOC: I think we can fade out on the scene about now, with loads of leads for everyone to follow up on if you are inclined - along with the directors meeting that you are both invited to attend also. Been a great fun thread. I look forward to our follow up threads Octoberish.

“Thank you. All we can do is try.” Sophia grinned playfully. “I promise I will sing loudly.” If her friend did not listen to either of them, maybe she would realize something was wrong if the warden made up some excuse to prevent them from touring the rest of the hospital. Anne had wanted adventure and they had found it. Why would she give up when they were so close to discovering the truth?

Douglas moved a few pieces of furniture before he went to join the Duchess. As Sophia already had her permission to perform for the patients, she began to sing an English song that her voice instructor had recently taught her. She knew quite a few English songs now and was learning more all the time. Her sweet voice filled the room, each note perfect and precise. She sang both low and high, for her audience was not comprised of patients that might become agitated at high-pitched sounds. There was no need to sing lullabies either.

Her eyes scanned their faces as she entertained them, and she looked at Anne and Douglas whispering as well. She finished her song and joined them just as the warden admitted that his employees had been pretending to be patients because he was afraid that the real patients might put the Duchess in danger. Clever man, but I am not giving up until I find out what you're hiding.

Sophia gave Lord Dundarg a pointed look. Maybe he would join her on an investigation in the near future. There was nothing more that any of them could do now. The warden had won this round but he wouldn't win the next one.

{OOC: Thanks for a fun and mysterious thread!}

They’d been right. As Anne finally called the man’s bluff he admitted that the people in the room were staff, not patients. The man made some plea about safety concerns, but earned him a grudging nod from Douglas. “T’wuid hae been better tae work wi’ me tae ensure Her Grace’s safety than tae lie tae her.”* He said bluntly. Douglas himself had been against putting Anne in a room full of crazy people – though he supposed she might visit Lords any time she liked – but had thought that meeting one or two of them at a time would have been safe enough.

Meeting Sophia’s pointed gaze, he knew this wouldn’t be the end of things, though he suspected that the young Ambassadoress might spearhead future ventures into Bedlam; something seemed to have lit a righteous fire in her.

OOC: Thank you both for a fun and interesting thread! No doubt there shall be further adventures.

Subtitles

* “It would have been better to work with me to ensure Her Grace’s safety than to lie to her.”

The warden wanted to say he would have done just that if Douglas had not been called from the room on that other matter, but making an excuse was beneath him, rather he accepted the advice with a nod and overtures towards forgiveness to the Duchess.

Her arrival here today was a fine windfall, and so timely, though she could not know that.

With pretenses abandoned, the staff of Bedlam were able to enjoy the mini concert with brought smiles to everyone's faces, and won Sophia a favorable position in their eyes. Perhaps she'd be able to use such good will to her advantage some time, or perhaps it was just a passing moment, an offering of Christmas Joy, a lightening of mood, a story that they woudl happily tell to their loved ones when they returned home that night.

Whatever the case, the guards called a cheery farewell to one and all.

~ Fin

OOC: PM me tags when&whereever you make your threads for followups! <3

Afterword...

The visit ended on a far pleasanter note than it might otherwise have, proving why Sophia and Anne were the successful courtiers and he was the intimidating muscle. At least he had them to smooth things over.

"Let me see ye Lairdies safely hame. Er back in tae London."* He offered as the trio left Bedlam. As he did so he threw a glance at Sophia, wanting to talk to her alone if they had a chance. She, like him, seemed to harbour far deeper suspicions.

Subtitles

* "Let me see you Ladies safely home. Or back in to London."

Bedlam's employees enjoyed her song, and her mood lightened when she saw their smiles. They worked in such a sad place, they were probably as much in need of holiday cheer as the hidden patients. Sophia would have sung another but she didn't want to encourage the warden's ruse, which he admitted to when she rejoined them.

All too soon, they were at the gates again. Douglas offered to accompany them back to their homes, and she didn't miss the glance he gave her. They needed to make further plans. Assuming that Anne would accept his' offer, she moved toward Daemhan and stroked his nose again. “Do you mind if I ride with you this time? On the way here, Her Grace had all the fun.”

They could talk as they rode. Sophia knew that Esteban wouldn't approve, but what her husband didn't know wouldn't hurt him. Even if he did find out, once she told him about what they had discovered, he might understand that it had been imperative that she and the tall Scot speak alone. If he didn't believe her story, he could always ask Lady Buccleuch, who could confirm that they had done nothing improper.

Archived