JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An evening of Stargazing etc | climbing the tower, Weds 21st evening

Lady Lucas, Mountjoy and Eleanor 

He explained how he thought things would be done but before she could reply that sly Eleanor played her hand and took the focus away.

She smiled and replied 

"Indeed  ... She has managed to outwit us both I think!"

"I had no idea that she was so learned in such wiles as fan-using   ......"

"But how can we blame her for she is after all young   ..."

Said in an undertone of amusement back to Lord Mountjoy as he then made a move to step back.

"Mistress Eleanor you must not linger here with us if your Uncle needs assistance   ..."

She offered her the means to leave without any insult taken.

"Perhaps it would be better for us to allow those who wish to go ahead to do so?"

"You wish to try to see your house and I wish simply to view what ere I can see!"

She would also make it known to Mountjoy that if he too wish to depart she was fine with it as well.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Lady Lucas, Lord Mountjoy and Eleanor

Lord Mountjoy was such a font of courtly knowledge, and he expounded on Lady Lucas's question regarding protocol. Eleanor was of course being a little forward in attracting her uncle's attention, but he could choose whether or not to engage with the group at present. That was how her mother had taught her; one never insisted nor inserted oneself uninvited, but there were many ways in which a lady could make her presence and availability known. Eleanor happened to be very fond of her fans, though she blushed when Lord Mountjoy drew attention to her use of it and Lady Lucas even complimented her on it. She automatically flicked it up shyly to half cover her face. "I just wanted my uncle to know that I am here to support him." She demurred. 

Her Uncle had noticed her. Their gazes had met briefly before Lord Grey turned to Lady Cambray who appeared to be assisting him. Well and good; Henry knew that she was here to support him. As he looked their way Lord Mountjoy stepped aside, opening the circle if Henry chose to join them or, she recognised, she to leave, and Lady Lucas even encouraged her not to feel constrained by them. The younger girl smiled. The older woman really was kind, just brusque. She was glad that Lord Grey had encouraged her to try again with Lady Lucas. "I think he has the assistance of Lady Cambray." She observed. Interesting that the Countess from the Carib seemed to know of such instruments. Eleanor was entirely unversed, but perhaps if her Uncle was willing, that might change. She would have to ask him if the opportunity presented itself. 

Lady Lucas murmured something further to Lord Mountjoy but she had ended up on the wrong side of Eleanor and the younger woman couldn't hear what she said. "Can I ask where you acquired your spyglass, Lord Mountjoy?" She enquired, since he was obviously proud of it and it would give him the opportunity for another exposition. She was not overly fond of people whispering around her, but then who was? Better to divert than take offence.

Edited by Eleanor Bayning

Chatham and Henrietta

“Maybe that’s what I’m hoping for.” A mischievous grin curved her lips. Henrietta wondered what he considered outrageous. “Perhaps I will even join you.”

Her nervousness was completely gone. It was only approaching Lord Chatham without an invitation that worried her. Once they started talking, she began to feel comfortable, even to the point of teasing him a bit. In Charles’ presence, she almost felt like a different person.

She laughed. “Then I shall be patient with you, as you have always been with me. But I am sure that you will learn so quickly that your knowledge will soon surpass mine.” He could study whatever took his fancy without disapproval or outright refusal. Henrietta had never wanted to be a man; she just wanted the same opportunities.

She took a delicate bite of her gougère, savoring the taste. “I can lend you some books to get you started. If you become intrigued, you can either buy a telescope or do what I do and lie on the grass on warm evenings and study the night sky. You can see it much better out in the country.”

Charles didn’t know Lord Grey well. “I remember when we met him at the library last season. He didn’t seem like one of those gentlemen who think women should be content with their embroidery and not exercise their minds. Now I know it’s true. There are quite a few ladies here, including the Duchess of Portsmouth. I suppose it is fortunate that Her Majesty decided not to attend.”

Chatham and Henrietta

"Well now you've all but challenged me, so I shall have to do something," Charles said, heaving a put-upon sigh that was entirely belied by the merry twinkling in his eye. He was delighted at how far out of her shell Henrietta had come.

"No tigers about," he mused, pretending to consider the matter. "Just as well really, an encore would be passé."

(That was straying a little closer to outright bragging than Charles usually preferred, but he excused himself on the grounds that it was a story worth telling.)

Henrietta had a sweet laugh, and Charles prized each one he provoked form her even more than he usually did feminine laughter. (Understandably so, he felt, given the circumstances of their first meeting and her introverted nature.) He took a moment to appreciate it before replying.

"The loan of some books would be greatly appreciated," he said, beaming, "but I fear that the speed of my learning may disappoint you: I have always been a diligent student rather than a quick one."

That was not strictly true — Charles was sharp, possessed of a good memory, and quick enough when the subject interested him, but his capacity for mental labour had always been the intellectual gift of which he was most proud.

"Lord Grey strikes me as a very open-minded gentleman, and the gathering here tonight seems to support that conclusion," Charles agreed, and then lowered his voice.

"We are very fortunate that her Majesty did not attend. The Weeping Willow came close enough to one of her infamous fits of histrionics as it is. Her husband and I only barely managed to avert it."

Mistress Eleanor was just full of unexpected charms   .......

"It is a good thing indeed that your Uncle has such support as you offer him."

She complemented back.

"Ah yes  ... Lady Cambray and I have been introduced on arrival. She was in conversation with Lord Chichester."

"You seem to know about her already  ...... are you 'matchmaking' in that direction?"

Her gaze traveled back to where that couple stood.

"She shares his interest so it seems."

"Alas I know nothing about such things as the Heavens and Stars but I have looked thru a 'spyglass' so that is something!"

Lord Mountjoy was then asked about his spyglass and she turned to listen with interest.

Chatham and Henrietta

I wouldn’t call rescuing a child from a fierce tiger unpredictable for you.” Henrietta had heard about that incident, though she had not witnessed it herself. She planned on going to the carnival tomorrow with her sister and their chaperones. Charles struck her as the kind of gentleman who courted danger. Their marriage would certainly be interesting if her father agreed to it. “If I was in danger, you would risk your life to save me too.” Or so she hoped.

Maybe I should challenge you to do something that I wouldn’t expect.” Would he take her up on it?

I appreciate taking the time to fully understand a subject. It’s what I do too. I am no expert myself. No matter how slow you claim to be, it won’t take you long to catch up with me. Most likely, we’ll be learning together.” Her smile was a bit shy. “Perhaps Lord Grey will agree to teach us.”

Henrietta’s eyes widened. “Then you’ve definitely done your good deed for the day. If she had thrown a tantrum, it would have ruined the entire evening, especially for Lord Grey. He took a risk inviting both her and the King. Or maybe he didn’t know one of them was coming.”

She tilted her head to the side. “I wouldn’t say that was unpredictable for you either.”

The stage was set to proceed but it appeared that Lord Grey was hindered by some technicalities of his instrument. Lady Lucas handled the situation well, as was to be expected for she was experienced in society and was very properly mannered. Mistress Bayning also acquitted herself well her obvious up brining compensating for any unfamiliarity of the manners at Court. He had only encountered her a few times but in every occasion, she had not failed to impress him with her character. She was just the kind of young Lady that Heneage needed. They both offered him an opportunity to fill the void by inquiring to hear more about his telescope and he was happy to oblige.

“I wish I could say I obtained my telescope as a spoil from a desperate battle with pirates or as a love token from an admiring mermaid during an expedition to the South Seas but in all honesty the acquisition was rather dull. I found myself early for an appointment at the Inner Temple, that is the Inn of Court to which I belong.” He added helpfully in case the ladies were not familiar on how the legal profession was structured. “So thought to take a stroll to pass the time. As I passed a pawnbroker on fleet Street, I noticed a rather handsome object in the window and thought it something that I must have. I purchased it on the spot and so enamored of it I did not even have it sent to my house but carried it out myself.” He looked at Cordelia to see if she was in shock. “Now I know carrying one’s own packages is something a gentleman never does, unless it is for a Lady of course, but I was giddy with excitement but to my credit I did not have the shopkeeper wrap it up so when carrying it on the street It would be conceivable that I would be mistaken for a mariner, landlocked and who had lost his way, in search of the banks of the Thames to regain his access to the sea.”

“The Margravina… that is Lady Mountjoy… considered the acquisition to be frivolous for the only watercraft I have is a small Thames barge that I use about the city but she indulges me. I do have a fondness for the sea but with the Law, the myriad woodland creatures that need to be hunted and my social obligations I find my diary quite full so I really do not have the time to dilute my current interests with marine activities.” He thought of his statement and gave himself a little chuckle as he mumbled “Hmmm… Dilute aquatic endeavors, that is a good one, I will have to remember it for when I am next at my Club.”  He gestured as if to apologize for not being able to provide a more interesting story.

“Let us move a bit closer to the apparatus. That will reduce the distance Lord Grey will have to travel if he wishes to join us or put us in a more favorable position to take our turns at observing what I no doubt imagine will be a fascinating sight.”         

Eleanor blushed fetchingly at Lady Lucas's compliment, and was intrigued to hear that the older woman also knew Lady Cambray, this time introduced in the company of the mysterious Lord Chichester, a name she had heard many times but had yet to attach to a face. "Yes, I met her in the Orangery." Eleanor explained regarding the lady from the West Indies, a little surprised then when Lady Lucas asked if she was trying to match Cambray with her Uncle. Her fan flicked up to cover her discombobulation as she remembered Henry's advice regarding the older lady. "No, I don't really know enough about Lady Cambray." She admitted quietly. Perhaps Lady Lucas knew more? "We discussed tropical fruit." She said honestly. "Do you know much about the lady?" Eleanor asked, curious. All the young debutant knew was that Cambray was widowed and had grown up in the tropics. 

Lord Mountjoy really did have quite the narrative style, and Eleanor hung on his every word as he described his fortunate venture that resulted in the acquisition of the treasured spyglass, intrigued as well with the small insight into the manifesting of the Law; why it sounded almost mystical! "How wonderful to have found such a fine thing my Lord, and one to suit your fancy." She enthused. Didn't everyone enjoy fine things? Well, Lord Mountjoy did she knew, as they had already discussed his appreciation of good tailoring and fine ceramics. And now nautical items. A man of great refinement and fancy. Wasn't the Margravina a lucky woman? No wonder she humoured him. Perhaps Eleanor might one day find herself someone equally dashing, debonair and whimsical; she could hope. 

At the gentleman's suggestion Eleanor automatically walked closer to the telescopes and her uncle, their little group seeming to naturally circulate in that direction, but her attention shifted to Cordelia. "What sort of item do you think would catch your fancy Lady Lucas, if you were to encounter it in a shop window in similar fashion?" She asked her other companion curiously, wanting to know more of the older woman whom her uncle held in such esteem.

Lady Lucas, Mountjoy and Eleanor 

She was given some idea as to how Eleanor knew the Countess but judging from the reaction it did not seem like there was any attempt at matching up her Uncle to that Lady.

"Sadly it would appear that I know even less than you do. But perhaps that might change?"

Lord Mountjoy was then brought back into the conversation and was as Erudite as she had come to expect. 

"There is nothing wrong in you having done so Lord Mountjoy. To you it was a precious object and to keep it about your person rather than risking a delivery is understandable."

"I too have on occasion kept some item to myself not trusting even my maid!"

"You seem to be rather over-loaded by Obligations - I do hope that you allow yourself enough time for pleasures and relaxations   ...."

It was then that the suggestion was made to go closer to where the telescope was placed and a question was put to her that made her pause

"My Fancy  .... Well at my great age there is not much that could tempt   ...... Yet if I ever found myself looking for something ..... I think it would be that blue and white porcelain from 'The Japan's'  ....."

"I have a small round piece that was a gift many years ago that I treasure. Sadly I have never found another that equals it  ..."

"And you - what temps someone of your age I wonder?"

Henry and Anne-Elisabeth

“I think they will all learn something tonight. I doubt that many of them have seen the moon and stars so close.” Anne-Elisabeth chuckled. “And at least they’ll know that the moon isn’t really made of cheese. And I hope you’re right about your brilliant event promoting natural philosophy. I know it’s a long shot, but maybe even women will be accepted into the field.”

Her eyes followed Lord Grey’s to where Mistress Bayning was conversing with Lady Lucas and Lord Mountjoy. “I would be honored to join you. Your niece is a lovely young lady. I first met her in the Orangery a few days ago.”

Lady Lucas, Mountjoy and Eleanor joined by Anne-Elizabeth and Henry

Henry nodded. "The King is here. His Grace Buckingham is here. The Chancellor of Cambridge is here. Even if Court wanted nothing to do with learning, their presence will perhaps help send their children and nephews to a good university, even to Oxford, if need be". The rivalry between Cambridge and Oxford was almost legendary. "And although no university will accept a lady as a student, perhaps more ladies will follow the steps of Lady Ranelagh, Boyle's sister. It will take time, but I agree that ladies should have access to learning".

Offering Anne-Elisabeth his arm, Lord Grey started walking towards the trio. "Lord Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, Mistress Eleanor, thank you for accepting the invitation. I do hope you are enjoying yourselves?"

As Eleanor and Cordelia spoke of some of the other women at court he was in no position to contribute as it was not befitting a gentleman to speak over freely of a Lady so he let the conversation develop at its own pace. That is not to say that, even though he would not gossip himself, he was not adverse of listening to such tales. One could never tell when one might hear something of import. He did notice that Eleanore, when queried, answered in neutral terms acknowledging the limitations of her knowledge and made no attempt to puff up her own prominence. He found that trait rather rare in younger circles. He surmised that she would acquit herself well if on the stand in some courtroom. She was kind enough to comment on his tases to which he replied.

“I do indeed have a propensity to collect interesting things and fancy that I have taste enough to decern fine craftsmanship. A naval telescope is of limited value on land but one can appreciate quality for its own merit. I must confess that I have a particular weakness for books finding the workmanship of the paper and binding just as worthy of appreciation as the words inside.”

Cordelia was also being very magnanimous in with her acceptance of his lapse of decorum by taking possession of the item himself. He had also paid the Shopkeeper directly instead of requiring him to submit an invoice to his Majordomo but he did not feel the need to include that particular tid-bit in his narrative so as not to overly shock her matronly sensibilities.

“You are too kind Lady Lucas. The rules are there to be followed but there are always exceptions to the rules and it is the measure of good breeding and probity to know the difference. As to my obligations, I do have my share and accept them readily. I find that good planning and a desire for activity keeps them from being onerous. I prefer to keep myself busy.”

It was to Eleanore’s last question that raised the conversation above the ordinary for it touched on one of his great passions other than books and the law.

“You astonish me, Lady Lucas. I can understand your appreciation of Japanese porcelain for it is among the finest in the world but, as you state that you have yet to find its equal, I must invite you to Saxony House to view my collection of Meissen porcelain. The Elector of Saxony is obsessed and has spent many years and an absolute fortune to discover the secrets of manufacturing porcelain that equals, if not exceeds, that of the orient. Just a few years ago he succeeded and is building a factory that is producing a porcelain so fine it can be cast into figurines more intricate than any in the world. He has also invented glazing that is unlike anything before. As the Elector is the Margravina’s brother, he allows me to purchase some items but they are very rare here in England as the process of manufacture is new and the factory has yet to set up for commercial production. I gifted a dining centerpiece to Lord and Lady Chichester on the occasion of their wedding and I commissioned a state set of porcelain for their Majesties for the occasion of their nuptials and the Elector himself limits himself to gifts of state and the like. Pray, if you find Japanese porcelain so intriguing, you can not help but be astonished by the products of Meissen.”

He turned to include Eleanor in the invitation as well. “I include you as well in the invitation Mistress Baning if such a subject is of any interest to you and of course your uncle is welcome as well if you desire a chaperone and he can tear himself away from the stars. In fact, it may be better if you were accompanied as it would dissuade the peacocks.”

Mountjoy did not further explain his rather cryptic remark.

It was then that Uncle Henry approached his niece with Anne-Elisabeth in tow.

“I am finding the evening to be most diverting and I have yet to put an eye to one of your telescopes. Thank you for the invitation” He said giving a nod to his lady companions then bowing to acknowledge the addition of another Lady to the group. “Lady Devereux, how enchanting of you to join us. I could not help but notice your familiarity with Lord Grey’s contraptions. Are you versed in the practice of cosmology? I myself am not and would loathe to turn the dials in case I do a mischief. I am eager to look but not to touch.”

The story of Lord Mountjoy's telescope had greatly entertained the ladies, and Eleanor asked with interest what might tempt Lady Lucas to such extravagance of behaviour as purchasing on sight and carrying her own acquisition home. Cordelia self-deprecatingly spoke of little tempting her at her 'great age' before admitting an admiration for exotic porcelain. Eleanor's eyes widened at the thought, then she smiled. "Oh, yes. And how lovely that you have even one piece from those distant lands." Why, to the young girl they were just words, but Lady Lucas actually owned an artifact of that provenance!

Lord Mountjoy took the opportunity to speak of his passion for Saxon pottery and Eleanor felt a little thrill of joy at having sparked such enthusiastic conversation between her seniors. Oh but it was enlightening. She'd heard about his Meissan pottery through is brother in law at the opening Reception, but was intrigued to hear it again, and quite delighted when he re-affirmed his invitation to her to view it. "You are too kind, Lord Mountjoy." She said humbly, gaze downcast, with a little curtsey of gratitude. "Whilst my Uncle has assured me that your character is so impeccable that I should need chaperone, I anticipate that he might be quite intrigued to view your collection as well." She said, not wanting to lock Henry out of the invitation when he might genuinely find it interesting. Lord Mountjoy's last comment gaze her pause. The man kept peacocks? 

Alas but the conversation moved on too quickly for her to find out more, with Lady Lucas turning the question back on herself as the original asker. Ah yes, her mother had advised her that one should always be prepared to answer one's own question. Eleanor fluttered her fan lightly in a thoughtful moment; what rare item, sighted in an emporium, would require not only instant acquisition but personal conveyance? Her indulged passion thus far had been her embroidery, but such materials were hardly rare. What passion would she indulge, if she had the freedom and the funds? "I think... a rare plant." She decided after a moment. Yes, that felt right. "Especially one which flowers prettily." She added with a smile for Lady Lucas. Eleanor hadn't really had much opportunity to consider how she might indulge her interests if allowed, it was an enjoyable academic exercise. 

A moment lady they were joined by Lord Grey and Lady Cambray, and Eleanor gave a silent smile and respectful curtsey as Lord Mountjoy, as the ranking courtier in their trio, greeted them. She did hope that they might be able to have a look through the telescopes. 

Lord Mountjoy was the type of Gentleman who was always on the mark and so his reasonings as to his own actions were to be expected.

He did however catch her off guard when he spoke of his collections and extended an invitation to visit   .......

"Meissen? You have a collection   .... Why Lord Mountjoy I do believe that you have managed to render me speechless."

"I had no idea that you were also a Gentleman of such Refinement ..... Why it is a privilege indeed to have a chance to see such exquisite things  ...."

"And one I shall accept."

"Indeed if Mistress Eleanor and Lord Grey are of a mind how could we refuse?"

This was such an unexpected windfall for her that she was indeed the fewer in words than usual!

It was then that the others' rejoined and the offer made.

She made a suggestion that a chaperon would not be necessary if Lord Grey was unable to go - for she herself would fit that Role acceptably.

Mistress Eleanor spoke of her own interests  ....

"So you have an interest in plants   ...... Have you ever encountered such a thing or do you still search?"

"I understand all too well the desire to find and how much disappointment one has when it comes to nothing."

"But we must still keep looking! One day you will indeed come across what you search for - Look at myself with Lord Mountjoy and his Collection."

"You might seek out the Head Gardners here - perhaps there is some plant that is as you describe already in the Royal Collections?"

The topic once again returned to the Event at hand and she hopes that their turns have not been forgot  ....

Edited by Cordelia Lucas

Chatham and Henrietta

"There are those who have known me who would consider my rescuing anyone from anything to be unpredictable," Charles said drily. (And he would not say that they were wrong: from the lofty heights of twenty-seven Charles would freely concede that he had been an utter prick between the ages of, oh, sixteen and twenty-one.) 

"You are altogether too sensible and competent to ever need your life saved," he told Henrietta, choosing to press on rather than cringe at the memories of his youth. "But if that circumstance should somehow ever arise, I will be there."

Her talk of challenge was interesting, and his eye flashed delightedly.

"Perhaps you should," he said, and grinned. "Though how would we judge? I can be expected to do anything, after all, and so it could be argued that nothing I do is unexpected."

He gave her a playful mock-frown. "Which is a deeply disheartening thought."

Charles did not usually find shyness attractive, or even tolerable, but Henrietta's little smile was adorable. (Not a word he usually used, but the one most fitting.)

"Perhaps he will," Charles said, "though I should like to peruse those books of yours before we ask, lest I embarrass myself totally."

He smiled ruefully as Henrietta spoke of his 'good deed.'

"Almost any gentleman here would have done as much," he demurred. "I was simply in a position to do so. And, I will admit, doubly happy to intervene, to prevent any ill-timed, ill-directed hysterics from ruining Lord Grey's event." 

Lady Lucas, Mountjoy, and Eleanor joined by Henry and Anne-Elisabeth

Before Anne-Elisabeth could point out the problem with universities, Lord Grey did it for her. Ladies were not allowed. But he offered the same hope she held onto … that some day more women would study the sciences and become renowned for their work. She knew of Lady Ranelagh, of course, and fully intended to be as influential and respected as she was. Now she was just beginning that journey and it was more frustrating than rewarding. However, the dark-eyed Countess was far too stubborn to give up.

She took his arm and accompanied him over to the group that included Lord Mountjoy, Lady Lucas, and Mistress Bayning. Since his eloquent greeting ended with a question, she did not feel the need to add anything to it, though she did nod politely. She had met Mistress Bayning a few days earlier and had made the acquaintance of Lady Lucas on the tower stairs. Though she had spoken to Lady Mountjoy with Davina last season, she had not seen her husband until tonight.

He was quite a dignified gentleman and she smiled at him when he asked her about her interest in astronomy. “I’ve been fascinated by the stars since I was a little girl. I devoured every book I could get my hands on and learned to recognize the constellations. The sky was so clear in Barbados where I grow up. I begged my father for a telescope but he refused, so I purchased one of my own a couple of seasons ago. The sky is clear on my estate in Cornwall as well.

“I was taught how to use it by a neighbor who shared my passion for astronomy. We spent many pleasant hours studying the heavens.” They had also spent many pleasant hours in bed, but that wasn’t relevant to the conversation. Though a libertine at heart, she prided herself on being able to fit in with the proper set as well.

She glanced at her escort. “Lord Grey sent me a much more powerful telescope during the past recess so I am already familiar with his instruments. Learning to adjust them properly takes time, but it’s not difficult once you get the hang of it.”

Chatham and Henrietta

Henrietta beamed at Lord Chatham’s compliment and his promise. Did he really think she was too sensible to get into trouble? Considering that she had managed to avoid is so far, perhaps he was right. She was romantic enough to see the appeal in being saved from peril by a brave and gallant gentleman. Perhaps she should learn how to be reckless? The silly notion made her smile. “I will try not to spoil your confidence in me."

The flash in his brilliant blue eye tantalized her. She could think of a few things that she would consider unpredictable, but nothing she would actually ask him to do. Henrietta was fairly sure he wouldn’t dress as a woman (even with a masque coming up) or pretend to be scared of his own shadow.

“I suppose that, in some cases, being unpredictable can be predictable.”

She nodded. “I feel the same way.  I didn't bring all of my astronomy books with me, so I'll have to send for some of them.”

Lord Chatham played down his part in calming the royal mistress known as the ‘Weeping Willow.’ “I think you have done an invaluable service for the King and should be rewarded. He hasn’t even looked at her. If she had thrown a fit, he wouldn’t be able to ignore her.”

Chatham and Henrietta

"Just so," Charles said, "which unfortunately presents me with a thorny philosophical conundrum to reconcile with my self-image, lest the dreadful tedium of being predictable consume me whole."

He shuddered theatrically and laughed.

"You need not put yourself to any trouble on my account," he said in reply to Henrietta speaking of sending for her books on astronomy. "If the books need be sent for, merely give me a list of titles and I shall track down copies of my own."

He smiled fondly as Henrietta claimed he deserved a reward.

"Invaluable may be overstating it a little," he said drily. "And it was no great effort on my part, in truth. The French are relatively easy to distract — flatter them personally, and then give them an opportunity to boast of how glorious their court is. Very simple really. No, my reward was the opportunity to do a favour for a man I should like to consider a friend."

For two men he should like to consider friends, really, however bold it was for him to think of the King in such terms.

But damn it all, I like Rowley, and the man deserves to pass an evening indulging an interest in peace!

Chatham and Henrietta

“I believe we’re overthinking the entire concept.” Henrietta said thoughtfully. “Being predictable for being unpredictable is not necessarily a bad thing. Nobody knows what to expect when you’re around and that makes you appear mysterious and intriguing. You’ll be noticed, and that is what court life is all about.”

She sighed. “Me, I’m predictable for being predictable. I wish I could be more like you.”

As for the books: “I’ll send you the ones I brought with you along with a list of the others I have. If you can’t find some of them, let me know and I’ll bring them with me next season.” Perhaps not too far in the future, their books would sit side by side on the shelves in their library. Unless Lord Chatham had changed his mind about marrying her. Since she was so predictable, she wouldn’t blame him.

She assumed that the gentleman he wanted to befriend was the King. He wasn’t alone in that objective. Most gentleman and libertine ladies wished to be close to the monarch. Henrietta hoped his gaze never fell upon her, unless he was interested in her intelligence and not … other things.

Glancing over at the telescopes, she noticed that one was not surrounded by people. “Oh! I think one of the telescopes is free!  Shall we take a look?”

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Devereaux, Lady Lucas, Eleanor, and Henry

Henry smiled as Lord Mountjoy stated he had been enjoying himself. Yet, the man had not taken a look through one of the telescopes! "That is something we must remedy immediately my lord", he said as he pointed the group to the nearest unused instrument. Since the King's Solicitor General was the ranking courtier in their small gathering, he was addressed first. "Lord Mountjoy, please behold Luna..." the telescope had been focused so the moon was centered on it.

The rest would be invited to do likewise in orden of precedence. Meanwhile, Henry signalled the servants to make sure that their glasses were full, and they had enticing finger foods readily available.

Turning to Lady Lucas for a moment, he asked in a low voice. "Lady Lucas, if I may ask, how has your son be doing of late?" Then lowering his voice even more, a second question. "Did he invest in the scheme we discussed in London?" There had been no open conflict, so Henry hoped the younger man had not.

Mistress Eleanor did not reply to her suggestion but then it was possible that she had become distracted by her Uncles arrival  ......

Lord Grey than announced that finally the viewing of the Moon was to happen but she had to wait for her own place in that lineup.

And so it was then that Lord Grey turned to her asking about her son

"John? He is well enough I suppose."

Her reply in the same tones.

"We share the same residence but I hardly see him. And as for that  .... investment  ...... I can not say."

She gave a small shrug of one shoulder.

"If he did well then I suspect we are a few pounds lighter."

She tried to by humorous but in all Truth she had no idea about that at all.

If her son HAD invested and it was all a scheme then what she had just said would indeed be true.

"What have you heard?"

"Is it a scheme to steal monies then?"

"You yourself are not caught up in it are you?"

Mountjoy was not of the libertine circle whose members were so indulgent as to invite swarms of people over for licentious gatherings such as orgies or book readings, he being more apt to indulge in such activities alone or at least with only one other person. He was, however exceedingly fond of his porcelain and rarely had an excuse to show it off. Eleanor was perfectly polite about the invitation but Cordelia expressed herself as someone with a genuine interest in the subject.  He beamed at the two. “Then it is settled. However, the details are settled, consider yourselves to have an open invitation. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a connoisseur in possession of a fine collection is always in search of fellow enthusiasts so I will look forward to the opportunity with relish.”

“Oh yes, Lady Lucas is quite correct.” He directed towards Eleanor. “You have your passion for embroidery, which is a fine thing to have for it is you that creates the beautiful thing rather than obtaining a beautiful thing from another. But if you are to ever be bitten by the collecting bug, you will know it when it happens. In the meantime, I advise you to stay curious and glance at shop windows as you pass by for one never knows what they might find that might tickle their fancy.”

However delightful their conversation was it was superseded by the actual reason for the get together as Anne-Elisabeth and Henry joined them. He had not previously been introduced to Anne-Elisabeth who responded quite charmingly with enough whit and detail of herself to be intriguing yet leave the inductee desiring more. “You do not say? Barbados Lady Devereux? Why how exotic. I have read of the island’s propensity for oppressive heat and troublesome pirates but know little else aside from their cultivation of sugarcane of course. I would not have believed that there are similarities between the Carib and Cornwall so your description is quite illuminating.”

As this was a social gathering, he would not have been offended to cede precedence to the Ladies but, as the King was in attendance and the Grey’s being of a distinguished family, he completely understood the choice of his host and accepted the honor of bestowed upon him. He moved to the telescope and bent to look into the aperture which was not unlike the lens of his spyglass. He had an urge to fiddle with the knobs which he suppressed as he squinted until the object came into focus. It was wholly unlike anything he had observed before. The image was not magnified enough for him to see any people but, perhaps like the far off land of Australia, it was unpopulated. The surface terrain was unlike cheese or the vestige of trees but of course the trees on the Moon could be of entirely different colours. He looked for some moments limiting himself to soft humm’s and an occasional Oh My, being quite incapable of putting words to describe his observations. After a time, although he was still quite fascinated, he thought he had monopolized the instrument enough and tore himself away. “I say… it is quite remarkable…quite remarkable indeed.” He said to no one in particular still captivated by the experience.

Lady Lucas, Lord Mountjoy, Lord Grey, Lady Cambray and Eleanor

Lord Mountjoy's invitation was gratefully received and Lady Lucas even made the offer of chaperoning Eleanor during their visit, should her Uncle not be available, which was very kind. She then asked Eleanor whether she'd yet encountered such a plant, and even suggesting enquiring of the gardeners here if she saw something of interest in the castle grounds! Alas but Eleanor did not yet have anywhere to plant such treasures, and was saved from saying so by the arrival of her Uncle and Lady Cambray.

How interesting to hear that Lady Cambray also held a passion for astronomy! That explained her assisting Uncle Henry, and brought to mind Eleanor's conversation with him about her desire to learn. Her passion might be more towards plants than stars, but she was interested. She glanced between the two astronomers, pondering Lady Lucas's earlier question. There were worse things to base a relationship on than a shared interest, she mused, and apparently Uncle Henry had already sent her a telescope! But then Eleanor recalled seeing Lady Cambray with those Lord Mountjoy had pointed out as the 'Merry Gang', with a caution to stay away on the grounds of libertinism. Perhaps a better friend then; certainly she'd been pleasant company when they'd met in the Orangery. "How fortunate Henry is to have the assistance of one experienced with his equipment, Lady Cambray." She enthused, always appreciative of one who assisted her uncle. 

Lord Mountjoy admitted that they had yet to look through a telescope, and Uncle Henry quickly hustled the group over to the nearest unoccupied device, urging Lord Mountjoy to look into it to view the moon. Eleanor was the most junior of the group and quite content to take her turn last. Lord Grey engaged Lady Lucas in conversation so Eleanor naturally turned to Lady Camberwell. "How fortunate for my uncle to have someone versed in telescopes to assist him; thank you." She expressed her gratitude earnestly, before stepping a little closer. "Were they difficult to learn?" She asked, wondering whether Henry might be willing to teach her, if she asked. 

Lady Lucas, Lord Mountjoy, Lord Grey, Lady Cambray, and Mistress Bayning

Lord Mountjoy seemed curious about the Caribbean. “Barbados has plenty of both,” Anne-Elisabeth chuckled, referring to intense heat and pirates. “I miss the former, but not the latter. We also have beautiful beaches, clear blue water, lush plants that grow both gorgeous flowers and exotic fruits, and coconut rum. My lord father was the younger son of a Viscount who moved to the island to make his fortune and I grew up on his flourishing sugar plantation.”

Lord Grey invited them to look through one of the telescopes. The Marquess went first, being the highest ranking courtier among them. She supposed she would be next, though she would let the other ladies take their turns first. The young Countess had seen the moon before many times and was well-acquainted with its attributes.  The main reason she wanted to be last was so that she could make adjustments without worrying about impeding someone else’s view.

Their host spoke to Lady Lucas. Anne-Elisabeth would have been content to stand by in silence, but she was pleased that Mistress Bayning wished to talk to her. “It is my pleasure,” she assured her. “Astronomy is my passion and I enjoy introducing others to the beauty of the nighttime sky ”

Especially women, she added to herself. Perhaps this young lady was also interested in natural philosophy. With an uncle like hers, Anne-Elisabeth wondered why she would ask her about telescopes instead of him. Was she reluctant to bring it up with him because she was afraid he might not approve? Maybe her parents had told him not to encourage her.  If he wouldn't, then she would.  If Eleanor's parents criticized her for it, she would tell them where to go and what to do when they got there.

“No, it’s not difficult at all. As soon as you learn the basics and start experiencing with different settings, you’ll be adept in no time. Have you looked through a telescope before?”

Charles and Henrietta

"You say this Selene, but you have gotten through today without smelling a tiger's breath, restraining the impulse to horsewhip the fool who all but set it on you, or having your mind bludgeoned into submission by a Frenchwoman's vacuous bleatings of the manifold glories of Versailles — frankly one must wonder why any of them would ever leave such a paradise on earth — and you have not spent most of this conversation upbraiding yourself for failing to come up with something both unpredictable and appropriate to do."

He laughed.

"All of which is merely to say that being 'unpredictable' or 'like me' brings with it a great deal of trouble, most of it self-inflicted," he said, and waggled his eyebrows. "Besides which, having any more like me around court would be quite intolerable."

He laughed again, then nodded his head in agreement with her proposed arrangement for the astronomy books.

"That would be ideal, thank you."

A telescope finally freed up, and Charles had to smile fondly at Henrietta's enthusiasm.

"Let's," he agreed, offering her his arm.

(OOC: We can fade out and leave them here after your reply, if you like.)

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Cambray, Lord Grey, Lady Lucas, and Mistress Bayning

"I have not heard anything, Lady Lucas. And I did not mean scheme as in something ilegal or immoral. Perhaps enterprise would have been a better choice of word..." I need to be more careful around her. She is a widow, after all, and probably frightful of the world of finance. "As for me, no, I did not invest in it. Truth is, land is my preferred investment..." careful now... "not that other investments are bad, mind you, but I was raised to be very traditional in most things..." that sounded better.

Henry let Lord Mountjoy take his own sweet time. The Solicitor General's sounds and words filled the Baron's heart with pride and joy. "You are more than welcome to make use of my instruments whenever it strikes your fancy, my lord, whether here or in London..." a thought occurred to Lord Grey. "Perhaps even at Codnor Castle, after a day of hunting?" The natural philosopher had not forgotten having invited Lord Mountjoy to hunt in Codnor lands.

Lady Cambray and Eleanore were chatting amiably, so Henry did not interrupt. It is good that Eleanore is making acquaintances. I am happy for her. The Baron kept mostly silent, but with a smile on his face. What he had attempted had been successful beyond his wildest dreams.

OOC: Henry will now fade into the background, quite content. Thank you all for attending!

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Cambray, Lord Grey, Lady Lucas, and Mistress Bayning with Lord Grey Departing 

He made to reassure her so it seemed. But then added in about the Benefits of such things  ....

"Well I am glad to hear your words Lord Grey. They make me feel less worried but, as a Mother, I can not help to worry."

Lord Mountjoy then took his place at the telescope and as Lord Grey was hosting she did not want to monopolize him and sent him off to mingle further.

As for herself she really wanted to have a look as well so she began to make her way to Lord Mountjoy in the hopes that SHE would then follow him.

Chatham and Henrietta

“At least nobody compares you to worms and mice,” Henrietta chuckled. She had been called a bookworm and a meek little mouse for most of her life. Both were true, but not very flattering. She wanted to be described as witty and fascinating and astute. The third already applied to her and the first two she was working on.

As for there being more Lord Chathams in the world, she thought that might make court more exciting.

He agreed with her on the books and on seizing the opportunity to look through a telescope while it was free. Henrietta grinned as she placed her small hand on his sleeve. “We should hurry so nobody beats us to it.”

It was still free when they approached it, and Henrietta was in her element as she taught Charles how to use it and adjust it for a better view. She also moved the telescope around to show him other wonders in the sky as well. It was a wonderful way to spend an evening.

(OOC:  ~Finis?)

Lady Lucas, Lord Mountjoy, Lord Grey, Lady Cambray, and Mistress Bayning

The Carib sounded so exotic! Eleanor couldn't help listening as Lady Cambray described the heat and pirates to Lord Mountjoy. With each conversation she gained a little more insight into that far-away world. So when she had the opportunity to speak with the lady whilst her Uncle hosted and Lord Mountjoy and Lady Lucas focused on the telescopes, she took the opportunity.

Lady Cambray asked about her experience with telescopes, and Eleanor could see the obvious assumption, given Lord Grey's passion for them. She wished it were correct. "I haven't yet had the opportunity to use one, no." She admitted, gaze downcase in genuine regret, fan lifted. "I had not in fact met Lord Grey before coming to court." She decided to explain, her gaze lifting again to meet Lady's Cambray's more frankly. "He isn't actually my uncle, but my mother is a Grey and they are cousins of some degree." It was under Henry's instruction that she called him Uncle, which she did gladly. Her mother had known him in her youth, but Eleanor suspected that Henry had been too caught up in his studies to attend Grey family gatherings. "But he is kindly serving as my guardian whilst I am at court."

Which made her wonder about Lady Cambray's connection to him. "Did you meet Lord Grey over a telescope?" She asked, perhaps a little impishly, a smile half-visible behind her fan. 

Lord Mountjoy, Lady Cambray, Lord Grey, Lady Lucas, and Mistress Bayning with Lord Grey Departing 

“Your homeland sounds idyllic Lady Cambray.” He stated as he moved away from the telescope to give others a chance. He was not very familiar with an ‘coconut’, he being a native of temperate England and coconuts being famously non-migratory but perhaps Caribbean Swallows were much larger than their African counterparts. “The social life must be akin to English country life as I do not believe there are any towns such as London or even Plymouth for diversion. Still country life can be quite wholesome.”

As Eleanor inquired more about telescopes and also seemed to be as interested in the islands as he was, he was able to respond to Lord Grey before he departed. “Indeed, that would be almost as interesting as your deer. I have not forgotten your kind invitation and will gladly impose upon your hospitality as soon as I am able. But, as for the uncertainties of the future, this evening has been most illuminating.” The telescope was fascinating but Mountjoy’s true passion was hunting and a good herd of deer, in his opinion, raised the appeal of an estate immensely.

As he turned back to the ladies in time to hear Eleanor’s clarification of her exact relationship to Henry and the Grey family. He situation was not at all unusual for families to assist their relations in society however extended they may be. Indeed, he himself was searching his family tree for suitable, and increasingly distant, relations to bring into the fold. “Well Mistress Eleanor, whether cousin or uncle Lord Grey is an entirely acceptable gentleman to be entrusted to such a task. He seems to me to have the breeding to be stern enough yet the consideration to be tolerant. I find that an ideal combination when enlightening one of good sense.”