JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Adventure Awaits: Main Carnival Thread | Wednesday late morning/early afternoon, Open to All

Aria

Douglas would at least admit his mistakes. He was still of the opinion that Langdon and Chatham had been in greater danger than they thought, but clearly they disagreed. Chatham was the first to express his exasperation with Dundarg's actions, and his choice of weapon. "Clearly ye hae ne'er killed a man wi' a pistol at range." He drawled, giving Chatham a dubious side-eye. "The cat wasnae much bigger thain a man."*

Langdon spoke up to add to Chatham's critique, saying that Dundarg's actions at best were premature, which gave him a little more pause. Douglas was in the odd situation of holding two conflicting views of Langdon; he respected the man and even admired him as a soldier - they'd fought together in difficult situations and commanded their respective Life Guard companies together - and thought that he was an absolute pillock in his treatment of women. He particularly owed Langdon for his sister. But this was a military situation, and for that reason Douglas was more inclined to listen to Langdon than he was to Chatham. The crowds had, to his eye, seemed too thick to push his way to the front quickly, but perhaps he had not taken enough time to assess the situation before firing off his pistol. Alas that he wasn't on duty and carrying his rifle. Then things might have been different. 

What's more, Langdon and Chatham were clearly in agreement, and they'd been the ones closest to the teeth. "Then ye hae my apologies." The big Scotman said, as graciously as possible. He clearly wasn't going to talk them round to his point of view, and Langdon might even be right. "Whin ye order a new coat, send me th'accoont."** He added, knowing full well what those coats cost. 

A stuffed tiger would make a talking point at least, and Langdon suggested they all get a drink, before adding that he'd best check in with the ladies who'd come with him. Douglas wasn't certain that he wanted to drink with these two after the dressing down he'd just received, but he knew nothing about Chatham, and was immediately curious about which ladies were in Lightning Langdon's company this time, so he nodded his acquiescence. He'd even buy the drinks. 

Subtitles
* "Clearly you have never killed a man with a pistol at range. The cat wasn't much bigger than a man."
** "Then you have my apologies. When you order a new coat, send me the account."

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Assessing then returning to Anne Elizabeth 

After dropping the child with Anne Elizabeth John made his way back to where the dead tiger lay. It would seem that the three Gentlemen were none the worse for wear and it was clear that the eye patch wearing one seemed to have some issue with the man that fired the pistol but since John knew none of them at least by name he did not seek to join in.

He stopped a passing Circus worker and pointed to where he was seating saying that he had the child and if the Mother could be brought there  .....

Arriving back he watched the two quietly for any sign of a renewed stress for the child.

"Well it would seem that everything is now calm and secured."

He said as he came to her side. 

"She is well? No fits or anything else of that nature? You have done a fine job."

He was quick to praise her.

"I have made our location known so I hope this child's mother will soon find us."

"And then we shall search out some strong drink .... for I think there will be nothing further here."

"Shall I hold her now?"

He reached out to take her up into his strong arms making soothing little words as he did so.

With his height it would be no problem to spot them.

Davina, Henry, George and Cadell

Henry did not notice her slip and so she answered back

"You are quite right! The mad rush to defend I can understand but heavens above how like a MAN to act that way"

"Yes. I do not think anything else will happen now."

"No act' could ever top it."

"Naturally you shall come with us."

This directed to Cadell.

She went to stand at his side and would slip her arm thru his if he offered. He was the Ranking Gentleman after all and she the only Lady.

"I shall be happy to go wherever it chosen."

"Shall we  ... "

Davina, Henry, George and Cadell

If Henry heard Davina's slip, he made no mention of it.  Davina seemed especially upset about the tall Life Guard with the pistol and the other Life Guard that survived the attack.  Henry supposed she knew them both and had no good experience with the soldier with the pistol.

"Well, it is a man's duty to protect the defenseless," Henry offered with a chivalric flair.  Davina was quick to sidle up next to Cadell, which caught his attention.

"Let us find something to drink," George offered.  "The vendors sell ale that tastes more like piss ..." he caught himself being in Davina's presence "I mean watered down ale," he corrected.  "We could try some of it.  It is cheap enough. What says our Welshman friend?" he asked Cadell as the quartet moved towards the exit.

Dundarg, Langdon and Chatham

It had been a stupid, reckless decision, but had Dundarg simply accepted his error Charles would have been content to let the matter lie. The Scot, alas, was not inclined to do so, it seemed. Instead the Life Guard all but doubled-down, side-eying Charles and indirectly (not all that indirectly, either) accusing him of not knowing what he was talking about. The temerity of the man was quite breath-taking, and Charles felt a wave of cold, poisonous fury fill him momentarily at the Scot's arrogant drawl. He normally did not pay overmuch attention to insults, but this touched him in a way that mattered to him.

"Oh, I've killed my fair share, some even with a pistol, though most, I'll own, up close," he replied with the blade-thin smile and silky, vaguely amused tone that those few who knew him genuinely well would have recognised as a danger sign.

"I would bow to your, ah, experience and expertise at killing from a distance —" the subtly pointed twist in his voice there would ordinarily have been rebuke enough, with the implied contrast to his own (inherently more admirable and respectable) experience at killing face-to-face, but Charles wanted to be sure. His gaze flicked down to the tiger corpse, and more specifically to the minor scratch the pistol shot had inflicted, illustrating without words that, expertise or no, Dundarg had only winged the creature, despite its size, "— but you yourself clearly do not hunt large animals. There is a reason that we do so with muskets and spears."

You arrogant, belligerently ignorant Scottish halfwit.

Perhaps fortunately, Langdon was on hand, and taking a more conciliatory stance towards Dundarg, while still making it clear that he thought the Scot in the wrong. He had to deal with Dundarg on a much more regular basis, of course, so Charles could forgive the lighter hand. Langdon was not a bad officer by all appearances, he admitted reluctantly to himself, and the man had shown remarkable coolness under pressure too.

There is more to him than I had thought. He might even be good company, if he could but learn to exhibit that sort of grace all the time.

"If you owe me a drink Langdon," he said, "then I certainly owe you one. But by all means, set the ladies' minds at ease first. I must recover my scabbard before someone makes off with it."

He had discarded it on his run to the arena, so that it would not tangle his legs then or later.

John and Anne Elizabeth

“Amelia!”

The little girl's head popped out of the cloak. A young woman wearing an expensive fur-lined cloak rushed over to them and held out her arms. The child reached for her. “Thank you so much for rescuing my daughter!” Tears of relief streamed down her cheeks as she looked up at John. “I turned my back for one second and she was gone. When I spotted her close to the tiger, I tried to get to her but there were too many people in the way. One knocked me over.”

Taking a handkerchief from the pocket of her gown, she dabbed at her eyes. “I can never thank you enough. Will you tell me your name?”

A Scot, a Cornish gent, and a Lord from Kent

Alexander Kinsley arrived to apologize.  Charles accepted it and paused to allow Chatham to do the same.  "Thank you.  I shall find a taxidermist here in Windsor or London and ask that you arrange transport of the tiger there, if you would be so kind.  I wonder," he continued, "if you might afford Lord Chatham and I the chance to ride on an elephant each, if they are trained to accept us as a rider."  He looked at his fellow earl to see if the man was game.  Anyone fancying themselves as a horseman could hardly pass up the experience if offered.

Once the carnival owner's son was gone, Langdon returned his attention to the other Charles and Douglas.  Storm clouds were brewing. It seemed that Douglas and Chatham were rubbing each other the wrong way.  There were hints at insults that could require satisfaction if they progressed much further. 

Langdon found himself in the rare position of conciliator.  He was typically the passionate one that cooler heads would calm, but Charles saw the danger that was brewing.  Perhaps it was the near death experience that gave him the previously unknown taste of moderation.

"I accept your apology Captain," Charles declared loud enough to emphasize that an apology had been offered.  "It is not your obligation to purchase a new tunic.  That falls to me.  I shall wear this shredded one on occasion and remark to passerby that you should see the condition of the other guy."  He chuckled at the thought.  It might also impress the ladies, a sacred treasure for a man of Langdon's ilk.

Chatham offered a drink as well, which caused the Life Guard Major to nod in grateful acceptance.  "Perhaps the Captain can conjure a bottle of Scotch whiskey for us."  He was not sure that the three of them could share a drink or two in the near future without a loud argument, followed by a plethora of pejoratives leading to some sort of scuffle.  Whitehurst was not much of a drinker really.  He became inebriated far too easily and tended to avoid anything more than a social drink or two.

"Right," he announced, as if drawing things to a close.  "I have ladies to reassure.  Chatham has a scabbard to find, and Captain, you have a crowd to see calmed and reassured I should think," he offered as he surveyed the scene of a grateful mother approaching the man and woman that whisked the girl to safety and a crowd starting to disperse in disbelief as to what they just witnessed.  

With that and a nod to his two companions, Charles went in search for the Herbert ladies.  Perhaps he might be bestowed a hug from Susan, approved by her mother.  It seemed that Davina was calmed and in good company, so he had no worries about her at the moment.

John and Anne Elizabeth Giving Back The Child And Taking Their Leave 

A girl's name rang out and the child he held lifted her head and she was soon taken up into the arms of who, he supposes, is her mother.

"Indeed Madam that is oft times it takes for a tragedy. It is a Blessing indeed that she was able to be saved."

Then realized he sounded preachy he changed his tone

"And you are well then?" He asked after her own experiences. "No injuries?"

"You must thank my Lady here for the good care  ...."

He inched Anne Elizabeth to the front but kept her by his side.

"Calm has been restored and your daughter is Safe."

"And you little miss needs must mind your Mother and do as she says."

His words meant to sound as a lesson had none of that affect for he could not help the smile that play about his mouth for she was quite charming to look at.

"My name  .... John Palliser  ..."

He offered her a respectful bow. 

C, C and D

Douglas snorted in derision when Chatham indicated that he preferred to do his killing up close. Ah yes, that oh so daft aristocratic idea that it was somehow more honourable to do so, held by those who'd only ever killed one-on-one with fancy rapiers and seconds waiting bind their wounds. Douglas had been a real soldier, he'd seen the casualties from people killing up close, heard the screams and the moans, seen a man's guts spill from his middle and blood come out his mouth. He'd been responsible for some of them. But the advantage of firearms was that killing from a distance reduced your chance of being killed yourself. Those who touted the honour of killing up close tended to be the same who sat in their tents drinking wine whilst their men got slaughtered in their name on the field below, and Douglas despised those in particular. He had always led from the front, and preferred tactics that saw as many men as possible go home again. "Weel that hexplains yer singular point of view."* He drawled. He had no time at all for Chatham's ilk.

Langdon on the other hand he had time for, at least professionally, and the Major graciously accepted his apology, then gave him an out. Douglas didn't really want to be stuck drinking with Chatham, and gladly took the excuse. "Aye Major, I'll see tae the crowd." He said, taking Charles' suggestion as an order. "And I'll send ye that bottle."** He added, touched his fingers to his hat in salute, and stepped away from the pair, focused instead on ensuring that the crowd was dispersing in an orderly manner.

Subtitles
*"Well, that explains your singular point of view."
** "Yes Major, I'll see to the crowd. And I'll send you that bottle."

John, Anne-Elisabeth, and a grateful mother

The woman shoved her handkerchief back into her pocket and took her daughter into her arms. She kissed Amelia’s blond curls. “I was not hurt,” she confirmed. Luckily, she had landed on her backside and her many petticoats cushioned her fall.

Her daughter’s savior indicated a woman by his side. Were they married, perhaps? Although they were dressed as commoners, the man’s voice was as cultured as a lord’s.

He instructed the Amelia to always obey her mother. The child giggled and hid her head against her mother’s shoulder.

“You saved my child’s life at risk to your own. You deserve a reward for such a selfless act.” The little girl started squirming. “You will hear from me again.” She turned around and disappeared into the departing crowd.

John and Anne-Elisabeth

Anne-Elisabeth was glad that the child was gone. “You really were very brave,” she told John. “I wonder what kind of reward she plans to give you.”

The stands were emptying fast. “I agree that we need a drink after this. Do you want to remain at the circus or go somewhere else?” She was eager to visit more attractions and see more shows before she left, but she would respect his wishes.

Charles rejoining the Herberts

Susan and her mother had moved close to the arena entrance, believing it too dangerous to stay in the stands. As Charles approached, Susan hurried over to him.  She wanted to launch herself in his arms, but she didn't think her mother would understand, even though he had slain a savage beast that might have killed them all.

She had been terrified while watching him battle the tiger, and had held her breath so long that she was afraid she might pass out. But he had prevailed and maybe his heroism would impress her mother and inspire her to persuade her brother to approve their betrothal.

She was also quite proud of him. Susan had already known that he wasn’t the kind of person who couldn't stand by when anybody … particularly a defenseless child … was in danger. Now her mother knew it too. If they married, he would protect her well.

She stopped a respectful distance away from him. “I’m so glad you’re safe, Lord Langdon,” she said. Her blue eyes said much more.

The Killington Kin

"I'm sorry." Nicci apologised to her Killington cousins, who'd been kind, letting her sit quietly as she tried to muster herself.  Even all the excitement of the delinquent tiger didn't help her; in fact, it only made her feel more queasy.  

It couldn't have escaped anyone's notice that her change of mood had come just moments after she expressed interest in visiting the fortune teller. If anyone paused to think about it, they might wonder if the thought of the future was far more troubling to her than she ever let on.

Exiting.  "I don't think I believe in fate anyhow..." she murmured as they passed the popular tent, "Louis, wouldn't you say that we are masters of our own destiny? And Lucy, you are a testament to the fact that when you want something, you just take it."

For a moment she thought she saw a favourite gentleman, the sapphire collector, but she must have been mistaken.

"Really, I should only want to hear my fortune so as to then prove it told wrong." 

The Killington Kin

Nicci appeared to be feeling better as she spoke at last.  "We are indeed masters of our own Fate," Louis was quick to agree.  "Though a bit of luck and timing can be of great assistance."

"I was interested to learn from the gypsy when you would become a duchess, or whether you would have to content yourself being a mere popular Countess," he laughed.  "We maneuvered Lucy into a duchy.  Why not with you?"  Though said in humor, Louis was keen to make Nicci a duchess somehow.  Her best chance was to bear a child or two from the King, or to be matched with someone who might be elevated to a duke.  She seemed interested in that Irish earl; but, to Louis, that lord should be the floor of her ambitions.   Anyone else would say elevation from a French knight's daughter to a favored English earl's wife would be a huge accomplishment, and they would be correct, but Louis was a man that often thought it wise to overshoot in ambition, and to see what happened.

John and Anne Elizabeth

He smiled and gave another cordial small bow as she spoke of some kind of recompense.

"Madam there is no need I assure you. I did only what was right and am glad that your daughter is unharmed."

"A tale to be told perhaps when she is older ..."

The woman and her daughter then departed and John turned back to Anne Elizabeth.

"Brave? Hardly. It is what a man is supposed to do."

"It is those three other men that were far braver than I."

"Unfortunate that I do not know them - do you?"

"Yes I think everything is done here. Let us then leave and roam about the site."

"Shall we?"

He offers her his arm again tucking hers closer to him as before.

"Let us visit all the spots that capture your fancy  ....."

Davina, Henry, George and Cadell

And so it was decided with her taking the arm of Lord Athhenry matching her steps to his walk as they all made their way out.

She heard George cover up his response and had to smile. He would she thinks never change.

"Ah well I for one wish more of a finer vintage than that George. After all drink is for taste as much as enjoyment."

"I shall let you three Gentlemen choose."

"After all that excitement a bit of slow transversing to sooth nerves is just the thing."

"Along the way if something catches the eye, well, we can stop!"

She was setting the pace out of concern for Lord Athenry and she hoped it was clever enough for him not to catch.

The Killington Kin

I had help,” Lucy replied to Nicci’s question, “but I did get what I had always wanted.” Except for a healthy child. Maybe her son would begin to thrive. She felt more hopeful than she had since his birth, and most of her optimism had to do with the little red kitten sleeping soundly in her arms.

“The fortune teller would probably just tell you what you want to hear. I think they’re all charlatans. Nobody can predict the future. Like you both said, we make our own destiny.”

John and Anne-Elisabeth

“Not all men feel the same way. I saw noblemen and commoners alike who made no attempt to assist. Some of them were even placing bets.” Anne-Elisabeth smiled up at John. “I still think you're brave and that you will be quick to protect me if I am in danger.” 

Her gaze traveled to the middle of the arena.   “I am acquainted with two of them. Lord Langdon is a prick but he puts his life on the line every day for the King. Lord Chatham strikes me as the kind of man who rushes headlong into danger just for the thrill of it.” In that, the one-eyed Earl was a lot like her. I don’t know the tall man but he is obviously a Life Guard.”

Anne-Elisabeth took John’s arm. Perhaps she would give him a reward of her own when they left the circus. “I'm fine with either going back to the tavern for a drink or wandering around and enjoying the entertainment.  There is much we have not yet seen."

John and Anne-Elizabeth

"You will always have my protection." He was quick to assure.

He followed her look and took in the information she provided.

so she has had some dealings with this Langdon for her to have formed such an opinion like that yet was also honest enough to complement when it was due

and the one-eye Gentleman was also in benefit of her opinion - similar to each other by behaviors

and a Life Guard  ....... 

"You paint quite a picture of them. I wonder if there is any benefit for me in wanting introductions?"

"But that is a topic for later."

"Come. Let us take on this Circus and see what else and if we grow bored I can think of other things to tempt"

He leaned down to whisper into her ear pressing her closer into his body then straightened up and led her outside.

Charles Rejoining the Herberts

Susan did not rush into his arms, like he might have imagined, but that was to be expected when one was a proper lady under the supervision of her mother.  Perhaps, if they had been betrothed, she could have flung herself into his embrace freely.

"Lady Susan," he replied with a smile, "it was the thought of returning to you that gave my arm strength to strike the fatal blow," he assured her gallantly.  He nodded to her and her mother, hoping to gauge the reaction of Lady Pembroke.

"My fate hung in the balance.  Perhaps it is time to visit the fortune teller to see what else Fate has in store for you and me," he suggested.  There was little reason to chat at arms length after such a dramatic event.  

John and Anne-Elisabeth

“I’ll be happy to introduce you to Lord Chatham, but it’s better if I’m not with you when you meet Lord Langdon. He has a low opinion of women.” If he was courting the blonde Anne-Elisabeth had seem him with, she felt sorry for her. However, if she was the kind of lady who didn’t expect respect from her husband, they would get along just fine.

John’s innuendo inspired a sultry smile from the Barbadian Countess. “I doubt there is anything as exciting as that here, but let’s see what we can find.”

It wasn’t long before they were out of the arena and back in the midst of tents, performers, and other guests like themselves. A wealthy couple looked down their noses at them as they passed by. “They probably have no idea that they just snubbed nobility,” she laughed. “I’m glad we decided to dress as commoners today.”

Charles and the Herberts

His words sent little thrills of delight shimmering through Susan’s young body. She had always thought of Charles as more practical than romantic. It seemed as if she had underestimated him in that regard. She was learning so many things about him and she could hardly wait until they were married and could spend the rest of their lives together.

“Yes, let’s go see the fortune teller.” She grinned playfully. “We should have visited her before. Maybe she could have predicted that you would save everyone at the carnival from a ferocious beast.”

(OOC: Continued here.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 10:56 PM, Davina Wellsley said:

Davina, Henry, George and Cadell

Henry did not notice her slip and so she answered back

"You are quite right! The mad rush to defend I can understand but heavens above how like a MAN to act that way"

"Yes. I do not think anything else will happen now."

"No act' could ever top it."

"Naturally you shall come with us."

This directed to Cadell.

She went to stand at his side and would slip her arm thru his if he offered. He was the Ranking Gentleman after all and she the only Lady.

"I shall be happy to go wherever it chosen."

"Shall we  ... "

To George, it sounded as if Davina were berated some, if not all, men involved in the reaction to the tiger attack.  That seemed unfair to Churchill.  He noticed too how she seemed especially taken with the Irish chap with an ivory cane, who seemed more interested in quoting liturgy than having fun.  Following along, after leaving the tent, George announced "here is where I take my leave.  I must return to the castle.  Surely nothing as exciting as a tiger attack is likely to happen the rest of the day."

Henry Howard waved farewell to his friend.  Though he might have liked to depart as well, he owed a duty to his cousin, so he opted to stay with Davina and Cadell.

Henry signaled an ale vendor to approach.  Three small wooden mugs were produced and filled with ale, one for each.  Henry awaited Davina before taking a sip.  "Do we want to see more animals and acrobats, or take a walk down to the river's edge?"  Cadell seemed to be thinking inwardly as they walked at a slowed pace to account for his limp.

• 2 weeks later...

Davina, Henry, George, and Cadell  

George it seemed was leaving and for her the excitement and then the aftermath had made her suddenly a bit tired. But here then was the ale  ....

'Refreshing. But not as nice as others I have tried."

"I would prefer a walk to the River and then I shall have to think about getting back. I have promised to meet with friends   ...."

She left the ending without any explanations.

"It was indeed nice to have seen you George   ... Have a care as you go."

She sent him off in a nice manner so that later he had nothing to further complain about to her.

Davina, Henry and Cadell Remaining

"To the river then," Henry announced, looking to Cadell to see if he would join.  The Welshman waved them off, seeming to prefer sitting with some ale.  Perhaps his leg was aching.

So it was that Henry and Davina walked towards the river together. "These friends ... anyone I would know?" Henry asked as they neared the water.  It was not an interrogation, but rather an exploration if she just wanted to leave his company.  Cryptic excuses were sometimes pleas to exit.

~OOC  Since Cadell's writer has been away for some time, I have written him out of the thread for now.

Davina and Henry Walk On

"No one of any Real consequence. Most of those now shy away but I take no offense."

She gave a shrug of one shoulder.

"Things are as they are. Yet I am happy for those that remain."

"How nice it is here by the water. Quiet as well."

She trailed along beside him her gaze moving about with no real direction as they continued on.

"And what about you Henry?"

"Are you to stay here at Court and soak up whatever your Father has instructed or shall you go back and rusticate?"

Davina and Henry

"It is nice by the water," her cousin admitted freely as they enjoyed a casual pace.  It seemed as though Davina was bereft of any meaningful friendships, no doubt in consequence to the warnings she had given him.  They might be watched as they walked.

"I am not sure," he replied quietly, pausing to look out over the river.  "My father believes that Catholics are so poorly treated that it is the duty of us Catholic lords to appear at court and speak up about injustice.  I happen to think it will do little good and it may be better to stay out of sight and enjoy the countryside instead.  What do you think?"

Davina and Henry

"How old are you Henry?"

Asked as she followed the direction of his gaze.

"If you have any understandings of how the wind blows then you will do the exact opposite of what your father wants."

"So you would rather take yourself away from Court and thus bury your head in the sand so to speak?"

"Have you no Political Ambitions of your own then?"

"No cause to champion or faction to join?"

"Not even to Norfolk?"

"So this visit now  ..... it was for what? To check up on me?"

"Somehow I doubt that."

Here was an opening if he had one to declare.

Was he hiding his true nature behind the desire to NOT become involved? Was he, as she had first suspected, sent to keep an eye on her?

Or was it something else.

"I am 29," Henry replied to his cousin's query.  "I understand that my father is out of step with the way the wind is blowing.  Anti-Catholic sentiment is boiling, but is that not a time to address it?" he mused aloud.

"No, I do not prefer to sit quietly in the countryside unless there is no tolerance of my presence at court," he admitted.  "I support Arundel, my cousin, and many of the Howard clan.  I wonder if there is a purpose in trying to end the insanity of war against Catholics."  He paused to look at Davina.

"And what if it were true that I came here to save you cousin?  Save you from lies and innuendos about your character.  Can a Catholic Howard lady not be loyal to England?  Must the Protestants crush her for that?"