JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Back at the Castle Monday (evening)

Having had a good meeting with Catherine Sedley at the farmhouse earlier in the day, Charles was feeling better about life at the moment.  The wind was at his back towards marrying Susan Herbert.  Only Darlene needed to be mollified, and that was unlikely.

He made his way towards the small room that qualified as the office of the Life Guard in the castle before his late supper.

• Blackguard changed the title to Back at the Castle Monday (evening)

Beverley was doing a round of surveying things about the castle, making sure everything appeared in order. He took any duty his princely master gave him with utter seriousness, so whilst things about the castle were reported to him, he still felt the need to turn his eyes over things at the end of a day. 

It also helped to clear his mind. 

When he turned the corner, he came almost so near to Lord Langdon as to bump into him, but instead he stopped short with some distance yet between them.

"Good evening, Lord Langdon. All is well, I hope?" he asked, with a smile.

Beverley was not the best at making a joke, so it would be a toss up whether he seemed serious or jesting, but he was playing about with the knowledge that Langdon enjoyed seeking out wrong-doer everywhere and arresting quite liberally.

The young earl had the same sentiments about doing the rounds before the end of the evening.  Perhaps it was instinct for all soldiers.

Encountering Lord Beverley by chance was a welcome thing.  They had a limited history together.  Interestingly enough, Beverley was the only gentleman at court that had met his late wife in person.  Other than that, they had served the Crown in their military service.  Perhaps it was odd that the two did not socialize more.  They were more similar and suited to agreeable views than most other gentlemen at court.  Langdon held great respect for Prince Rupert.  Who did not?  His father had served with him in the Civil War.  Rupert had been the only hope for the Royalist cause, with his dashing cavalry assaults.  Newcastle had been the other that had given hope for the King to hold the north.  Sadly, both great men had come up short.  Yet, the King's son was restored to the throne and Cromwell would be forever viewed as a traitor.

"Lord Beverley," he greeted in a pleasant tone.  "Yes, all is well.  Perhaps we are both taking a walk about the castle to comfort ourselves that all is well with the castle too?"  He offered the question in a light moment.  "Perhaps we could walk together for a time to have a moment to become current?"

He offered to follow the path Beverley was taking.  "Congratulations on the birth of your son.  I apologize that I have not had the opportunity to say so in person earlier.  It is quite the achievement for you and your family.  How is your lady wife faring?"  Beverley had married a young lady and one needed to worry about their constitution in childbirth.

Ironically, Langdon had a son as well this offseason, but it was a scandal rather than a celebration.  He expected Beverley would not mention that bit of shame upon Catherine and himself.

"Yes, I find it a good activity to clear the mind, although I prefer the walk when all of court is not here. At least it seems there has been a slow-down in complaints about rooms," he replied. "I think most have resigned themselves to the knowledge that they are where they are and it is not going to change."

The first few days of the season, he had been approached about all sorts of matters that were truly a bit beneath his dignity. His age and lack of imposing height did nothing to dissuade courtiers from giving him a barrage of requests and questions. 

Beverley nodded to the walk together, and Langdon joined him on his progression.

"Thank you. And no apology necessary." It is not as if the entire thing had happened during the season, and the off season delayed most such conversations. "Very healthy boy he is too, and my lady wife is doing very well. She has already resumed her service with the Queen. Our parents are beyond pleased as well, which is always a good state of affairs. It will do well for my wife's sisters." Capability for having sons was a highly considered factor in marriages.

The viscount was too well-bred to mention bastard children. That was not a topic to be discussed at court or proper crowds. Nor was he the sort to mention the other man's troubles.

"Ah yes," Langdon acknowledged, "I forgot that you would likely be the one approached by lords with grievances about accommodations."  His own accommodations were odd in that he was sharing with Sam Gillis, but he was not complaining.   "What has been the most outrageous complaint to date?"

Beverley provided good news.  "That is most welcome news indeed."  His own son seemed healthy, but it did not take much for an infant to pass.  "Is married life agreeing with you?" he asked, keeping up his level of interest in married life.  "My own marriage was hardly storybook, as you know.  I will need to try again soon enough."  An earl needed a male heir.  "How do you find it to be married to a Queen's lady?  Do you see each other much?"

Beverley smiled. "Which is why I vastly prefer being at Windsor with just His Highness. Then there are no complaints, quiet halls, and plenty of time to ride the parks."

He contemplated what was the most outlandish request or complaint. There had been many.

"As Windsor does not have as big a town and accommodations as London might provide, there are more courtiers that are squeezed into every nook of not just the castle but the town. Some cannot find rooms in either place at all. Yet there are always those who think they should have more than one room or should not be asked to share a room if they are single. I have very little control over these things, but I would think it is better to have a place than none at all." As to the most outlandish, he provided, "One complained the room was so small that the odor of the chamberpot consumed it, as if that was an issue for me and not his manservant...or his apothecary."

Beverley was very please with married life, so he nodded and said, "Very much. I was afforded the ability of a say in my lady wife, so I find that we are well-suited as my lord father agreed with my preference. And she is very pretty and only grows more so." When Langdon said he would have to try again, the viscount asked, "Are you thinking of doing so soon? The next need not be like the first. Even with brothers, I imagine you have some anxiety."

It was true that the Queen's service did take up much of his lady wife's time, but Beverley was much taken up with his master's service as well.

"We both have our service to attend to, but it makes our shared time all the better and gives us things to discuss together. At the least, we share most our nights together."

• 4 weeks later...

Beverley's report was encouraging.  Maybe married life would not be so bad, especially when not married to an old alcoholic French woman that hardly spoke English..  "That is good to hear."

"Yes, I am thinking that a betrothal later this year would be well," he revealed.  "I have been sowing wild oats for the past year or so, and it has given me nothing but scandal," he confessed.  "If I were the younger brother, I might continue my merry ways unchecked, but I need to become the proper lord that my late father would want.  So, I wish to secure my legacy and reach as high as possible in a match.  Unlike you, my family, despite the title, is very minor, but with a sterling record of service to the Crown."

"The Queen's ladies are all desirable matches and I have my eye on one," he admitted with a smile.  "If I did not like her, I would hope that service to the Queen would keep her away ... but I like her." 

• 2 weeks later...

Beverley was no one to mention scandalous things on the past, and so did not mention Lord Langdon's former experience whilst married. It had not seemed a good match. That was strange as the other man did not have a living father to exert pressure, or ultimatum, on a particular choice in wife. Beverley had always wondered why the elder French lady, but he had figured coin might have something to do with it.

"Later this year? Well, that is not a lot of time at all!" he said, eyes wide.

"All noble families were once in such a place, and you have the favor of His Majesty, so I doubt it is much a barrier," Beverley replied kindly.

The viscount did have a tendency to look down on some families with his own family history, but it was more those with little to recommend them or who acted bigger than they were and broke norms expected of station. Lord Langdon was not like that, and even if he were, Beverley would not act so to his face. 

"May I ask who you have said your eyes on? Perhaps she and my lady wife are friends?"

There were few people one could trust at court.  The Earl had several ladies that fit the bill, but very few men.  Lord Beverley seemed the nicest of the bunch, and most like himself in the way of career path.  Charles had been an aide to Monmouth and then returned to the Life Guard as a Major.  Beverley was a quiet man who did not seem to gossip or say unkind things about people.  In that regard, it made Robert something of a unique specimen.

There were differences to be sure.  Beverley had a strong lord as a father, whereas Charles had a military father that had thought the best path for his son was to enroll in the Navy at a young age and let the world teach you its lessons.  It was just as well because Charles had not developed the patience for reading boring books endlessly.  He would rather be arresting scoundrels and keep London, and the Crown, safe from villains.  If he had to get his uniform dirty in the process, so much the better.

"I suppose I should make you guess," Charles began, "but there are so few unmarried ladies serving the Queen these days, that it is not much challenge."  It might get Beverley's mind wandering.  "I was surprised that neither Cavendish or Howard had a maid.  Ormonde's daughters are not included," he observed.   "I am thinking of Susan Herbert.  We like each other and would compliment each other.  She comes from a storied lineage, though her oldest brother is something of a challenge and ... offputting.  What do you think of such a match?  I have already petitioned her lady mother."

• 2 months later...

"Lady Susan, you say," Beverley said, with an approving nod. "A beauty, to be sure, and my lady wife says she is quite intelligent. Her family connections are nothing to be sniffed at, to be sure...well, aside from Pembroke...but many families have someone said to be quite mad." The Duke of Norfolk has an elder brother that had been mad, they said.

"My lady wife and Lady Susan are of a similar enough age to spend time together. I think it is a very fine match and if the earl has such a malaise of the mind, there might also be malaise of the body which might, erm, make him less a bother." Which was to say that he might die before long, but Beverley was trying to be politic.

"Perhaps there were not as many unmarried ladies because of Her Majesty being with child. It is, erm, something which a maiden is not supposed to have much exposure, not knowing anything of the state. Perhaps she will name some more after this season," Beverley postulated. "Especially were you to marry Lady Susan."

(embarrassingly sorry...)

Edited by Robert Saint-Leger

Beverley looked favorably on the match, which was a good thing.  Of course, Langdon could not imagine anyone would be critical of it, unless it was about her eldest brother.  Still, the lord had been more supportive than was required.

"I had to arrest Pembroke at Lords, after an altercation.  I do not know him well.  They say he becomes violent when he drinks, so I shall need to speak with him in a place with no liquor," he offered as a weak jest.  "Do you know him at all?"  He awaited a response.  "I prefer to interact with his mother.  She seems sensible and the King is fond of her, meaning she must be a good person."  A pause alloed Beverley to offer any opinions.

"How did you go about negotiating your lady wife's dowry?  Did you do it, or select another to negotiate on your behalf?"

• 3 weeks later...

"No, I do not know the gentleman personally," Beverley replied. "Just what is said, but then everyone knows those things."

He was always leery of speaking too much about such things. He was not the most socially adept and did not want to put his foot in his mouth.

"Yes, it would make sense that the king is fond of her," he agreed. Beverley had a good awareness of court families and connections. Old families needed information to survive, so tidbits were coveting, and his father had always been very skilled at making sure his son was aware of such things. It was not very common knowledge that His Majesty had an affair with the lady many years prior for it had been a secretive thing, but some knew of those whispers.

He did not realize that Lord Langdon might not have the same longevity of information without having grown up around court with a father embedded in such things.

"I did not have anything to do with it as my lord father made all such arrangements. He had known Worcester and his father before him. Our family lines have crossed many generations ago, so we have, erm, stood the test of time at court, one could say." He did not mention that he did not have control over what Mary brought to the marriage either.

Langdon did not have the benefit of longevity at most anything.  Though his Viscount father had a title and was in the Life Guard, the man had no other family and made few alliances.  It had been Colonel Trentmont who had looked after Charles in his last few years approaching adulthood.  His mother had no immediate family either.  It was why he had ended upin the Court of Wards, as opposed to a family member.

Charles was not much of a gossip, finding his time devoted to his work, and ladies.  His first wife had been a recluse, who spoke little English.  Taken together, the Earl of Langdon knew little beyond his small circle, and what his men told him of London.  The affairs of the King would need to be widely-known before it would come to the attention of this young officer.

Beverley had the advantage of a father to handle everything, or so thought the orphaned lord.  Beverley might see his father as holding him back instead.  "I see.  I was thinking that negotiations might go better if I was not the one to advocate my case," Charles explained.    Modesty required not acting as a huckster of one's own value.  "I do not know anyone that Pembroke respects," he admitted.  "I think Monmouth would advocate on my behalf, as I was aide to him as you are to Cumberland, but Monmouth is out of favor these days."  He paused to watch Beverley's reaction.  "The King could decide something fair in five minutes, if he was so inclined," Charles laughed "if he would stoop so low as to advocate for me.  I was thinking the Queen might impose on Pembroke that he needs to be generous with Lady Susan's dowry."  He found himself smiling at the thought, but then she might just accept whatever for Susan.  Charles needed help in this regard, even though Beverley had not negotiated for himself.  Maybe Beverley would have an idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Beverley was no true expert on such matters as the entire thing in regard to dowry was decided by fathers without him present, but he did not think it generally proceeded like a merchant endeavor.

"I am no expert, but once you indicate your interest, it is for the lady's family to put forth what dowry they are offering. If you desire the match, erm, it might seem a bit...mercantile...to, erm, what do you call it...haggle over such matters. I don't know how common it is for others to be involved. I suppose it would make a difference whether Pembroke is well-disposed to the match. If he is, he might offer more as enticement; if not, probably less. If it is more desirable from one side than the other, that can be an impactful piece." He lifted a shoulder as if to say he didn't know enough to offer specific advise or thoughts. 

"In my case, it was desirable and equal on both sides, and our families were known to each other over many generations. The matter was probably settled over a few glasses of companionable conversation." He could not imagine it had been a heated affair. 

It was a more heated affair between he and his father when Beverley realized he did not immediately get control over it.

"See what offer is made? If you need to think about it, say so, erm...but I suppose that could also be insulting...and Pembroke is volatile..."

It had been Langdon's understanding that dowries were negotiated.  He now questioned that belief, to his chagrin.  Perhaps negotiations were most often done with marrying a merchant's daughter.   If what Beverley said was true, Charles was in something of a predicament.

"I do not think Pembroke thinks highly of many," he muttered in response, meaning more than that.  He did not think Pembroke liked him at all.  Had he not lost his temper at the thought of Susan being alone in his company?  This did not bode well for the young officer.

The Langdon line was new and Charles was a known womanizer.  Pembroke would offer him breadcrumbs, Charles thought to himself.  If Charles refused, Pembroke would challenge him to a duel.  Yet, Pembroke had married the sister of a royal whore, without permission, and a fallen whore at that.  Charles was working himself into anger as he thought upon the insult that was to be visited upon him, without evidence of the likelihood of such an outcome.  An emotional mind conjured outrageous images at times.  

"I did not know," Charles admitted, trying to calm his anxiety.  "I am still of a view that an advocate might helpful in the process."  He was just not sure who that intermediary might be, someone who could advocate the qualities that Charles would bring to a match.  "I suppose it is Pembroke's ... volatility that that urges such caution.  Perhaps," he hoped, "Lady Pembroke would be the one in charge of this."

Beverley was not the most skilled at conversation, but he could tell that his words had an impact on the other. 

"It is not as if I have done it before," Beverley conceded. "There is discussion once a match it desired, I know. It is an, erm, delicate play I think. Especially with Lord Pembroke. Perhaps speak to the mother since it is she who is at court and see how it is to unfold, then plan your line of attack?"

It sounded sensible. Like scouting before a battle. The more one knew, the more one could plan advantageously. "If it is with Pembroke, it is likely best not to insult him over his sister. He was, erm, beastly after the attacks on his lady wife for being Catholic." 

Beverley had little idea that Pembroke was already displeased with Lord Langdon over potentially spoiling his sister and the accusation or perception of impropriety. Had he known, he might have understood the other man's reaction, for such a thing put him in a difficult spot. It was not honorable not to see the thing through if any impropriety had been had. Insults between peers could breed nasty grudges and outcomes on all sides.

"Yes, I am hoping to win over the Dowager Lady Pembroke," he admitted.  "She has expressed some reservations.  After all, I was married to a French Catholic, who was a former mistress to some French Duc.  You met her.  She was ill.  I carried on an open affair with York's former mistress.  One might think I have attraction to former mistresses"  Oddly, he felt comfortable revealing his challenges to Beverley, thinking him a sympathetic figure.  "Lady Susan and I often encountered each other in our duties, which might cause tongues to wag."  It was a nicer way to describe being alone with her.   "I arrested Pembroke at the House of Lords."

"I know to not visit him if he has been drinking."  He smiled knowing that Pembroke's temperament when drunk was well-known.  "I would not want to insult his sister obviously. I am fond of her and we would be friends even without this courting," he revealed.  "I worry that I can easily ballocks this up and upset everyone," he chuckled, though serious in intent.  "If she was not such a good and logical match for me, I might be tempted to look elsewhere and avoid Pembroke altogether.  I will scout the mother and see if I need to withdraw my forces before lining up for battle."  Charles smiled as he picked up the military metaphor.  "However, I prefer an ambassador to seek a productive peace without battle." 

• 2 weeks later...

There was no simple way to reply to Lord Langdon's honest assessment of his own doings. It was a...colorful...history to be sure. He had some wild times as a youth at University but much of that was to be expected and somewhat acceptable to gentlemen other than his own strict father. 

"Such is why they say, erm, that discretion is the better part of valor." He wet his lips. "I think it even more apt with female conquests than battles." His light brown eyes shifted both ways before he revealed, "I had a brief...goings on...with one of York's former mistresses but not Mistress Sedley," he added on hastily. "Being quiet about one's...personal affairs...makes for a happier public life. They should never cross, or so my lord father says. It seems sound advice."

After all, he had never imagined going to a brothel with his father, or lectures on the proper keeping of a mistress, but now it was a regular thing.

"You arrested Lord Pembroke? I had forgotten that." He took in a breath. "I was there for that sessions." He exhaled the breath. "That would make asking for his sister awkward, to be sure. I cannot imagine he was pleased."

He thought for a moment and then said, "Since he is not welcome at court, perhaps you can do as much as possible through the mother and the brother. It is not of your doing that he is not easily accessible for such conversations, and it is not a simple affair for you to leave your duties to speak to him. He is...disgraced...as it were. That gives you, erm, some leverage, I would think."

When Beverley admitted to carrying on with a former mistress of York, Charles smiled and relaxed his posture somewhat.  Robert seemed a pain-stakingly proper gentleman, so it was good to see such a stiff officer show a human weakness.  "Oh really?  It seems the best gentlemen fool about with former York mistresses."  He was beginning to like Beverley more, as there was a growing commonality.  Charles imagined that Robert had fooled around with Arabella Churchill, but she was married.  He thought about his friend Heather, but she was York's current mistress, or so he thought.

As for the advice about circumventing Pembroke, Charles found himself nodding.  "All good advice," he acknowledged.  He was not sure how best to broach the topic with her other brother.  "At the end of the day, I need someone with sufficient gravitas to say that, despite blemishes on my background, that Lord Pembroke's ... blemishes ... are far more severe.  There is even talk of prior Earls of Pembroke being mad.  That could be passed to his sister's legacy.  So, weighing the Pembroke disadvantages against the Langdon disadvantages, should put me in a favorable light.  I, of course, could not mention such things to Lady Pembroke.  I suppose that she is wise enough to know such things without need of mention."  He watched Beverley's face for a reaction to his bit of advocacy.  "I suppose that I shall just have to hope that the Herbert family will see a union with the Langdon line to be suitably advantageous."  

Beverley was very proper, but he was far from being an unyielding stiff sort; he was simply not the most naturally socially gifted gentleman. Growing up with a visible and influential father was its own hindrance at court. He was in a large shadow, and his father knew so many people that any could inform on him if he fell short. It was a difficult way to exist.

And of course, he served a staunch German prince, so there was no latitude for showing any lack of diligence in conducting those affairs. Beverley knew where his proverbial bread was buttered, and he had been learning for a long time - since he was barely more than a boy - what Rupert would or would not tolerate. It was a very serious example to follow.

"It seems so," Beverley agreed with a congenial grin. 

"I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone who would tell Lord Pembroke anything about his own blemishes to his face or that such blemishes travel to his lady sister," Beverley said. "You have His Majesty's favor, do you not? The Dowager Lady Pembroke was...close to the King...according to my lord father. Then again..." he lowered his voice here for the gentleman he was about to speak of scared him immensely. "...have not most of Lord Buckingham's female relations been...attractive...to His Majesty?"

He cleared his throat. "If the King spoke a good word to Lady Pembroke or Herbert, that would help, surely? Not negotiate the whole thing or give an order, surely, as that has its own notoriety and talk at court, but a word that you would treat the lady well and would continue to have his favor."

It was the perception, by Charles, that Beverley was overly stiff, but that perception had changed significantly for the better as a result of this casual encounter.  Charles did not have many male friends.  His closest friend had been Thomas Hamilton, who was now dead, leading to the awkwardness with Darlene thereafter.  He had comrades and brothers to spend good times, but he was in search of someone of his rank and age to become a good friend.  Beverley seemed to be an excellent candidate.

The Pembroke cautionary note was well-received, as was the employment of the King, as necessary.  It was the other pearl of gossip, however, that caught his attention.  "Wait, you are telling me ..." he looked both directions before continuing.  "You are telling me that Lady Pembroke and His Majesty?"  He did not need to finish.  "How long ago was this?  Could it be that there is one of her children ... ."  He stopped himself again, daring not to utter such an accusation.  Two siblings had blond hair.  One had dark.  Was that a coincidence?  This was a huge revelation to Charles.  His jaw dropped in the magnitude of it.

Beverley nodded, as if the gesture could also be delivered in a hush tone. 

"I know one ought not speak of such things when it is clear the intention is for it to remain unspoken, erm, or secret, but...yes, that is what I am saying. Some long time ago." He continued in the same hushed tone. "It is generally understood that Captain Herbert is His Majesty's. He gained command of a ship protecting the channel, staying close to our shores, by request of the King. He then gained a close position in the King's own household."

He was a similar age to Captain Herbert, and his lord father had always been suggestive that he become friends with the other man for that reason and that they were an old family. 

"Blazing cannons," Charles found himself uttering under his breath.  It took the place of a whistle at such a juicy piece of scandalous gossip.

"So I had best not perturb either the Countess or Captain Herbert," he replied softly, as various scenarios passed through his mind.  "The King could help me with them and they could help me with the King," he noted aloud.  "This makes the Herberts more advantageous."  Though obvious, the fact that there was scandal involved in the relationship might moderate the influence.  "Alright then, I should sail onward through the rocky shoals to win Lady Susan's hand.  Thank you for sharing this secret.  How widely is this known?" he asked quietly.  "And, is she close to Buckingham too?" If so, it would be a bonus surely.

"Especially accurate since you truly enjoy the lady," Beverley added. "A connection to His Majesty is never a bad thing."

Beverley had contemplated Lady Susan himself, but Mary had simply been better suited for him with all angles considered. He was very pleased with his situation, and perhaps Lord Langdon could gain a situation that he would be pleased with as well. 

"Well, I'm not sure I would say widely known," he answered. "The well-connected courtiers who were around at that time have more awareness of such things. It is suspected, though, perhaps widely, it is hard to say. It is one of those things that is rarely spoken of as it is clear such things being openly discussed where it could be turned into wide gossip would not please the King. His Majesty was unable to have children with his former wife, but it is clear he has vast capability, erm, on his own merits, and Captain Herbert is not the only one such. There are certain families where their stature would not be elevated by a royal bastard, and in those sorts of situations it is better to let the child have the stature of their family and the family to avoid the embarrassment and the lady the stigma of being a mistress. His Majesty shows, erm, interest in them and takes care of them, but does not publicly claim them." 

There was some propriety involved in some cases, and it had been that way for many kings. Not all mistresses or families wished such things public knowledge.

"I've seen them together at balls, both mother and daughter with the duke, so I would say yes," Beverley said of Buckingham. "He is the great, erm, mistress-maker and knows how to protect himself with his wide family connections. My lord father says he gets out of the Tower and our of disfavor so quickly because there are so many to constantly remind His Majesty of Buckingham." 

Charles found himself nodding as Robert explained.  This was all incredible to him, sohe found himself in a very agreeable condition.  "Captain Herbert must know this, correct?  He knows his father is the King?  I should watch their interaction more closely in the future. And Pembroke, he must know.  Might he not look at his brother in the same way I wonder?"  This was so fascinating to the young man that he was trying to look at the revelation through different eyes.  Left unsaid was that Susan must know as well.

As for Buckingham, "I do not know the Duke well.  He seems a grand figure that has led a most exciting life," he stated with a hint of envy.  "Which mistresses has he introduced?"  He assumed Barbara Villiers, but was ignorant of other connections.  Charles was new to court in 1675 and his father had not revealed the many great secrets of palace scandalous life.  As such, Charles felt the need to educate himself so as to not make a mistake unknowingly.

"I assume that Captain Herbert at least suspects so...if he does not know so for certain. It would be difficult not to have heard any of the whispered suspicions of court," Beverley replied. "I do not know the normal course of such things, so I do not know if His Majesty or his mother would have told him so. I do not think Pembroke would take it very well if he knew, knowing his, erm, irascible temperament."

He was not an expert on what children born to Kings from high noble families knew or did not know, or how such affairs were conducted when the relationship was not a public one.

"My lord father would say nearly all of them, but I am not old enough to know each of their names. The King has had many mistresses who were not public. I know only the children my father has told me to make friends with if possible. Of those who are of a similar age to us and at court...John Ashburnham and perhaps Lord Stanley. Ashburnham is also a cousin of Buckingham."

"I suppose he must know, whether told or not," Charles speculated.  Surely, some court lad must have tattled, or asked, to Herbert when he was a lad, if nothing else.  "I shall watch the King and him more carefully going forward."  Though not often in the Royal company, Charles had ready access to the royal areas.

While still coming to terms with the powder keg that Herbert was the King's son, Beverley mentioned two other potential royal bastards.  "Ashburnham and Stanley?" Langdon repeated.  "I find that I know so little about court.  My father was a first generation peer, so I am not steeped in any deep court history.  I apologize for that and hope to correct my lack of knowledge as best as I can, as I want no unintended slight to anyone," Charles explained.

"I have met both at court, but know nothing of their parents, or mothers.  Could you tell me something about the parents  of each, so that I might better understand and walk carefully in the future?"  Charles was now beginning to believe that the King might have a dozen bastards about, and not just from his known mistresses.

"What is there to apologize for? Not knowing who has bedded who is, erm, far from a shortcoming," Beverley said. "I will tell you what I know, but while I have spent a lot of time at court for some six years, I have always been much occupied by Cumberland. I hear things from my father, and I overhear a lot of things because most seem to discount me or not notice me."

Or at least they had. These days he was more noticed. 

"I do not know much other than Ashburnham's parents are both dead. He was raised by his great uncle, Major-General Ashburnham, who is the King's cofferer of the Household and has a tapestry monopoly. As to Stanley, since he has the peerage, his father is dead. I do not know if his mother yet lives, but I think she was Dutch. Perhaps one of the many Nassau's about."

"I envy the sources of information you have," Langdon acknowledged.  Colonel Trentmont was all business and no gossip.  Monmouth never shared inner secrets with him during his short tenure of his aide.

The information about the two lords was rather sparse and did not give Charles much context as to why the King chose their mothers.  "Ashburnam and Percy ... why was the King attracted to their mothers?  It seems rather awkward that a lady wife would be approached.  Maybe they were widows at the time?" he asked hopefully.  "Were the husbands compliant?  What would you do if the King took an interest in your wife?"  He did not know what he would do about Susan, if she were his wife.  He owed his sole duty to the King, but ... it would seem an extraordinary ask.

• 1 month later...

"I could not say," Beverley replied. "They were very beautiful, but there must be more than just that, for His Majesty is always surrounded by beauty. I am fairly certain they were solidly married, and I do not know if there is anything to do but comply if the King takes such an interest. The lady, of course, could demure, erm...I think His Majesty is sensible of that, erm, the willingness. In Stanley's case, I think Lord Derby had already fathered an heir; though, how is one to know if the second ends up being the King's...One would always doubt, I would think."

Beverley nodded as Langdon asked what he would do if the King took an interest in his lady wife. "I have not concerned over it greatly. Her Majesty has extracted the promise from His Majesty that he shan't, erm, poach amongst her ladies because of the slight and indecency of that in particular. My understanding is that His Majesty was happy enough to make that concession, there being plenty of ladies elsewhere to choose from."