JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Lady Oakham | arrives Monday afternoon

Written on a piece of cream-colored paper, scented softly with rose and vanilla, and penned in Sophia's flowery handwriting:

Dear Darlene,

Are you free for an early lunch on Tuesday? If so, I would love to invite you to a picnic in the palace garden for just the two of us. I will provide all the food and drink. If you have other plans, please let me know if another day and time would suit you better.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Your friend,

Sophia

After rolling it up and tying it with a pretty purple ribbon, Sophia sent a servant to deliver it immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene was delighted to receive a letter, while she did not recognise Sophia's script she did not recognise the perfume either.  She must be using her old perfume up!  She mused to herself with a puff of laughter, being happy to put her petite needlework aside to see what her friend had to say. 

Much had transpired since the jaunt into town together, and choices made, so that a frown now marred Darlene's pretty features as she wondered how to reply.  This was her first test. She was still waiting, would be waiting the rest of the week, to receive the black clothing of mourning she had decided appropriate for herself.  The seamstress worked as quickly as she could, but it was entirely impossible to be ready by Tuesday. (The fitting was not till Thursday!) 

With a soft sigh she supposed that this was but the first of the sacrifices she would make... but on the bright side, at least it did not mean any more heart ache.  So it was that she felt renewed confidence that she was making the right choices at last.  There was a possible alternative she would suggest, but going out dressed in vibrance was not it. 

Dearest Sophia

I loved to hear from you, and my calendar is indeed entirely free for lunch. However my garments are not yet ready (I can explain more in person if you wish) so that I would ask if you might demote the festivity of the planned picnic to that of a simple lunch in my rooms? My door is always open to your visit.

God Bless you and Yours

Darlene

Sophia was in her bedchamber sketching when she received Darlene’s reply. Setting her piece of charcoal aside, she wiped her fingers on an old handkerchief she kept near for that very purpose. She didn’t want to get smudges on any of the words.

The note was brief, asking that instead of a picnic, they have lunch in Darlene’s rooms because her garments weren’t ready. Had her friend ordered a new wardrobe? How exciting! She was a bit miffed that Darlene had not invited her to the dressmaker’s shop to help her pick out fabrics, but perhaps another of her friends had come up with the idea and gone with her.

Wiping her hands again, she carefully moved her sketch and replaced it with a piece of parchment.

Dear Darlene,

Then lunch in your rooms it is. Shall I come around eleven? If that time is fine, there is no need to reply, unless you want to, of course. I always love hearing from you.

Your friend,

Sophia

As soon as it was rolled up and tied with another ribbon, she gave it to the same servant who had delivered the first letter and sent him off at once.

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene did reply, having a surfeit of time available to do so.  Sophia's patient servant returned once more with carefully penned letter (re-wrapped in Sophia's red ribbon). 

Dear Sophia

Eleven o'clock sounds perfect, I shall look forward the clock towers 11th chime tomorrow morning.  Have you noticed how energetic the St Georges Windsor bells are? I have hardly paid attention to them previously, but with attention to spare I have realised that they are perhaps the most jumbled bells I have ever heard.  Why visiting them might make for an interesting excursion some day. There was a time when I would have wanted to have a turn of ringing them too, I think I could do it better.  There is just a bit too much noise you see, it is not very restful at all.  But I shall not do that.  Just like how shall not try lighting a cannon, although that was because Lord Langdon would not let me.  He is very boring that way, and never any fun. I wonder if your husband would allow it?  Lighting a cannon that is, not ringing the bells.  Oh but we shall have so much to discuss, these things and more. 

I very much look forward to your sunny presence,

Darlene

Listen here: https://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/about-st-georges/experience-st-georges/hear-bells-st-georges/

• 2 weeks later...

Sophia read Darlene’s letter with a smile. She had learned how to tune out noise when she was in Venice in order to concentrate on her own voice. Now she would have to pay attention to the bells. Hopefully, they were not too jarring, as she would be able to hear them while in confinement and it might not be as easy to ignore them then.

It seemed strange that her friend didn’t want to ring them herself.  That sounded just like the kind of adventure she would enjoy. Sophia would like to try her hand at it after the baby was born. Perhaps she could convince Darlene to accompany her, despite her objections that she was no longer interested. Maybe she just couldn’t find anybody to go with her.

And there was yet another mention of Lord Langdon. If she was truly over him, why did she continue talk about him? Then again, Sophia had not forgotten her first love and still spoke of Lucas occasionally, though what she said was always positive.

She and Darlene definitely had a lot to talk about. Though she did not write a reply, she sent the same maid back to give Darlene a verbal confirmation that she would be there and could hardly wait for tomorrow. The servant muttered all the way there and back about the peculiarities of noblewomen.