JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To Lord Mountjoy - by hand

There were few persons that Darlene truly trusted at court. Lady Albemarle was one, Charles Whitehurst had been another (though he was so no longer!), and then there was Charles Blount.  So it was a very natural inclination of hers to desire his thoughts, his guidance perhaps. For even if he was (secretly) in love with Darlene, she knew him to be of a calibre to advise her correctly without personal bias.  And she was truly in need of some fine advice about now. 

So she penned:

Dear Lord Mountjoy

Greetings to the Windsor season, I trust you recessed in good health and enjoyed the grand sports you enjoy to share stories about. For myself, I have a more troubling story that I would hope to share, that I might perhaps gain some advice?  I appreciate that giving such council more rightly the role of my Lord Brother, but he was so taken up with joy at the birth of his first child, I could not bring myself to trouble him with my insignificant cares.  But still, I am troubled.  So I hope that you might pay me a kindness of consideration, and the benefit of your wisdom, to impart some possible direction.

At whatever time might suit your schedule.

God Bless

L. Oakham 

Although Windsor was more relaxed than when the Court was at Whitehall the business of the Crown still had to be attended to so Mountjoy set aside a portion of his day to respond to the inevitable and unceasing bureaucratic paperwork that followed the King wherever he went.

The first paper was a bill sent from the Groom of Windsor submitted to the Royal Mews in London who forwarded it to the Kings Equerry in Windsor who forwarded it to the Queen’s Mews back in London who efficiently forwarded it for approval by the Queen’s Master of Horse who was currently reviewing papers in Windsor. Apparently, the Queen’s horses exceeded their hay allotment and requested reimbursement in the amount of 1 shilling three pence. Mountjoy, not being a bureaucrat, declined to forward it on and scribbled (very neatly) to be paid. Mountjoy and handed it to his Secretary Oliver.

The second was a letter from Cornwall stating that a wale had washed ashore and asking for instructions. Old Norman Law established Droits to the Crown that established that all Royal Fish, which included whales, was property of the Crown. Mountjoy was always on the lookout for ways to raise revenue for the crown but these weren’t the Droits he was looking for and moved along.

The third was a letter from Lady Oakham. His view of Lady Oakham was like that of a sister even if she was (secretly) in love with Charles. He knew that she was level headed and always thought out her actions clearly so as not to upset anyone so he was surprised to hear that she was troubled by some matter and begged to speak to him if she might.

As a gentleman he could hardly refuse the request for aid from a Lady so he responded.

My Dear Lady Oakham,

I am indeed in good health and recessed most comfortably however I am distressed to hear that you have not. I give your brother joy for his son regretting that, in his joy, he is not in a position to provide you with the manly guidance women so deeply need. Such distress is tempered by the fact that in seeking manly prowess you were so very kind to think of me. I would be honored to satiate the desires that your brother is not in a position to fulfill.

If convenient, I shall call upon you in your chambers before supper (early evening) this Friday.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Mountjoy

He almost scratched out the last part of the message for,as she was not a relative of his, it was not strictly proper. But, as they were long standing acquaintances and who would ever accuse Darlene of mischief so what could go wrong.