JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Breakfast of Champions - Early morning, 16th September

Octagonal Tower Reception Room

Through a door in the quadrangle’s stone faced entry room, there is a cozy little parlor where residents can gather and socialize, or perhaps rest before or after climbing the tower stairs. The walls were left white, but painted with a beautiful garden scene, depicting a frolicsome forest scene involving satyrs and nymphs. There are several overstuffed chairs gathered close to the fireplace and a cabinet of liquor.

Despite their first meeting at the Reception, Lord Grey had been too busy to meet with her yesterday to discuss her presence at court. As a lady should always wait on a gentleman's pleasure, she'd accepted his invitation to meet with him on the morning of the sixteenth, in the Octagonal Tower reception room, which was very close to her own room in the top of the Main Tower; both within the South Tower complex. Apparently Lord Grey wasn't staying within Windsor itself, which seemed strange to her but who was she to question the man's decisions. Instead she'd arranged for breakfast to be served for them on a little side table; hot crumpets served with butter and honey, with summer fruit and a pot of tea for two. She didn't know whether he would already have eaten, so she kept it light, only hoping that he might hurry soon, as the smell of the warm crumpets in their basket wrapped in cloth were making her hungry. 

To honour his kindness in taken on responsibility for her whilst at court, Eleanor had chosen her finer day dress in pale yellow silk, the one crafted in a mantua-style, which she had embroidered with fern leaves and purple spring crocuses. She'd pared it with the cream silk stomacher and underskirt with the violets on them, and the matching violet and pearl jewellery. It was her favourite. She was being careful to cycle her outfits so that at least a day passed between days where she wore the same dress, to make it less obvious. She wanted to look fashionable and well to do; to give the right impression. Hopefully she was succeeding. No doubt Lord Grey would tell her if she wasn't. 

At the appointed time, Lord Grey arrived… coming down from the stairs, not through the door! Henry was wearing midnight blue velvet justaucorps and breeches, sober but elegantly trimmed with blue pearls and silver piping, a silver-thread embroidered gunmetal grey waistcoat, and black leather shoes with silver buckles. The ensemble was completed by an ebony walking stick with a cube-shaped silver head. A silver signet ring and a breast pendant with sapphires, pearls and polychrome enamel set on silver provided the final touch.

Henry had just had a very profitable impromptu meeting with the Chancellor of Cambridge. The results of that meeting would be most interesting without a doubt. It was now time to focus on his distant relation, the unmarried daughter of Viscount Bayning. The girl’s mother had definitely married well, as any and all Greys should. Now it was Eleanore’s turn to do likewise.

“May the Almighty grant you a good day, Mistress Eleanore”, the Baron said bowing formally, kissing a hand if offered. He then made sure the girl was seated and comfortable before taking a chair himself. As he did, his peripheral vision toon details in. She was elegantly dressed, with the neckline appropriately high. Amethysts and pearls spoke of wealth, but not of opulence. The table was also set with understated elegance, and not overloaded. Good! The girl might go places. Her mother’s letter had been an Apostolic Epistle, at least in length, with a number of little details to look for. Henry allowed himself a small smile. It was going to be good to feel like he had family again.

Eleanor rose to her feet as Lord Grey entered, her gaze lowered and her hands clasped before her, the picture of demure young womanhood. "And you as well, Lord Grey." She returned the greeting, looking up at her name and offering her hand delicately, curtseying as he kissed her fingers. She allowed him to settle her on her chair, having no problems following the forms, and waited quietly until he had seated himself opposite, taking the opportunity to study him for a moment. He was beautifully turned out, and she allowed herself to admire the embroidery on his waistcoat and the pearls and silver piping on his justacorps. He carried a fashionable walking stick, and she observed the signet ring and the absolutely beautiful brooch, noting his preference for silver, blue and shades of grey. Ha, naturally. But she kept that moment of humour to herself. Perhaps they even shared some tastes in fashion; that would be enjoyable. 

Once he was seated Mary stepped forward to pour tea for both of them, serving crumpets still warm from their basket onto each of their plates, before leaving them to help themselves to fruit or honey, and adulter their tea as they saw fit. Eleanor waited for Lord Grey to serve himself his preferred additions before she moved to do the same, putting a little butter and honey on her crumpet and milk and sugar into her tea, before selecting a slice of melon to add to her plate. Then she set her hands in her lap again until Henry began to eat. 

"I trust you slept well." She enquired before she daintily cut a segment from her crumpet and popped it into her mouth. Delicious!

As Eleanor went through all the proper motions, Henry smiled, and observed using his peripheral vision, so as to not be noticed.  She has been well trained. Her mother ought to be commended. The young lady went through every motion carefully, but without obvious effort. She also waited for her elder relation to sit, to help himself to more, and to start eating. Each of those were observed and filed for the Baron’s next letter to her mother. Lady Bayning, your daughter does you credit. That was how his first report to his cousin would end.

Lord Grey added a little sugar to his tea and a few berries to his plate. Eleanore would notice that he was not eating much, just enough to be polite. He did add a dollop of clotted cream to his crumpet, before having a small piece of it. His face showed approval and much satisfaction.

Pleasantries were expected before any serious talk would begin, and Eleanore was adept at those too. “I slept less than I would have wanted to, but the hours I did sleep, gave me much rest. What about you, were your accommodations comfortable?” Perhaps Henry had revealed more than he should have, but she was family, and she needed to feel as such, thus the information.

Eleanor smiled momentarily as Lord Grey asked after her own comfort, setting her utensils down before answering. "Oh yes, thank you. I have a lovely room up on the fourth floor, it has been beautifully decorated." That far up the tower was the domain of the young and the lowly ranked of course, but she was in the castle and had a space that she and Mary could have to themselves, and really what more could she ask for? 

Weighing her thoughts for a moment, Eleanor decided to take a risk and speak again. "If the local air troubles your sleep," she began, for one should allow for an excuse rather than suggest some failing in a gentleman, "Mary could make you up a posset that would help." She offered, hoping that she had not overstepped. "I am certain you have your own servants of course, but sometimes she makes it for me and it is quite delicious and gives a restful sleep." Certainly the night before she had departed for Windsor she'd needed something to curb her excitement and aid rest, and if Lord Grey was having trouble sleeping then it behooved her to assist if she could. No doubt he could look after himself, but her mother had explained his circumstances, the death of his brother and his current lack of a wife, so she thought perhaps his household might lack a feminine touch. 

Having spoken, she cut herself another dainty slice of crumpet, listening attentively. 

Whatever faults the young lady in front of him might have had, discourtesy towards Henry was not one of them. She even offered her maid to make him something his mother would order for him when he could not sleep as a boy. “The posset would be much appreciated, Mistress Eleanore”. Henry did not have a problem falling asleep but was nice of her to offer.

Setting his cutlery down after another bite, he decided to begin.

“Mistress Eleanore, there are a few things I would like you to be aware of. First, as your parents must have warned you already, Court is full of rakes. I have the utmost confidence in your behaviour, but taking precautions is wise. Thus, if you agree to it, I suggest you refer to me as your uncle. Although I am not a greatly known courtier, I have found favour with a few that are, and thus there will be some degree of protection afforded to you by the relation”.

Henry would not enumerate, but he hoped that His Grace Buckingham and Lord Kingston would advise some of the more libertine elements to steer away from her.

“Second, I will have accounts set up for you at the seamstress, the pastry shop, and the bookstore in town. They will be instructed to provide to your needs…” he was about to say within reason but decided not to. This will be test number two. Let us see if she needs to learn the value of money or if she already has. “Does this meet with your approval?”

Henry's acceptance of the offer of a posset brought a brief but brilliant smile to Eleanor's features and she glanced at her maid and chaperone, who nodded in acknowledgement. Mary could make up the herb and spice mix, and Henry's servants could steam a spoon of the mix in warm milk before coddling it with ale or wine, however he preferred. It was a small thing but she hoped it might help. 

The clear statement of her name, together with his more serious tone, indicated that her companion wished to discuss more important concerns. Eleanor had been expecting this and she followed his lead by laying down her cutlery, giving Henry her undivided attention.

He warned her of rakes at court, much the same warning as her mother and father had each given her, though in her mother's case she'd spoken specifically about certain types of men. Still, Eleanor did not object to the reminder, it only served to underscore how serious the issue was. She nodded gravely. Then he surprised her by inviting her to call him Uncle! She smiled "I will do that, Uncle, thank you." She replied easily. After all, none need know that he wasn't her mother's brother; the Grey family tree was broad and sprawling enough. Even the seemingly neatly pruned shrub of the Baynings went places she'd been surprised to learn of. The idea that they might develop such a relationship delighted her. "My parents also warned me of some less than desirable elements at court." She revealed, though she was certain it was no surprise. "I wonder, how would you regard us taking breakfast every few days, where we might discuss matters including my new acquaintances? You might then warn me of any you know to be... improper." She suggested. Lord Grey had been at court longer than she, so surely he knew of some. "Lord Mountjoy has already pointed out the 'Merry Gang' to me." She added, having endeavoured to memorise their faces as people to avoid. 

She listened as he continued, heartened that he had thought of arranging accounts for her at some of the more popular stores. She'd already visited two of them, the book store she had yet to try. As a young woman she was accustomed to being minded and cared for, to having strict rules and structure in her life; it made her feel safe. Getting onto that coach to bring her to Windsor had made her feel as though she was setting sail across a sea with little in the way of navigation guides; Lord Grey's input and arrangements seemed like arrival at a good harbour; she felt safe. When he asked if she approved she looked almost surprised for an instant - unaccustomed to being asked rather than told - but that expression was quickly replaced with a small smile. "Oh yes. Thank you for making those arrangements." She said pleasantly, happy to have such things taken care of. 

“Your parents were wise, and Lord Mountjoy is a true gentleman. Those he pointed out to you must avoid at all costs. Although some of them are true geniuses, their morals… how do I put this… their morals are non-existent”. Henry had heard many stories. The most recent one was the fire in the offices of the Newcastles’ solicitor. That had been far too convenient for Dorset to be a coincidence. But it might just give me the opportunity I want...

I would love to meet them, the Merry Gang, and tell them how much I admire them… once. I think once would be enough. Then I can get on with my research, and they can go on with their… creative endeavours.

As for Eleanore asking to break fast together every few days, it made things easier for Henry. “Of course, my dear niece. It would not only allow us to talk about things, but also to be seen together, as family should”. Speaking about being seen together… “also, if you ever have need of my carriage, just ask for it. Not only is it a very comfortable vehicle, but the driver is very loyal, trustworthy, and a very able bodyguard”. Seamus would indeed defend Eleanore with his life, if need be and Lord Grey asked for it. The Irishman knew his family would be well taken care of in Codnor lands if he died serving the Baron. And the grand carriage had no top, so those riding would be seen in the open, not as if trying to hide.

“Two other things, my dear”. The next topics were a little more delicate. “Court is full of intrigue and gossip. When someone asks what you are doing at court, say it is your debut and mention me as your guardian. That should be truthful and harmless enough”. There was no need to announce marriage intentions, at least not yet. Much trouble could sprout if gossip started because a harmless comment, and it would not be the first time. Court loved to gossip.

“Also, even though you are a Viscount’s daughter, and you ought to be treated as such, do not take umbrage if you are not, unless it is an unbearable situation. There are gentry and commoners that, although your social inferiors, far overpower many of the nobility, and they know it. Two cases in point: the Grooms of the Bedchamber, and the sitting Members of the House of Commons. The first have the ear of the King, while the second hold his purse strings”. Lord Grey had decided not to mention Lady Lucas. He considered Eleanore intelligent enough to understand what he was saying, and what he was hinting at. “Those are but two examples, but there are others. Your life at court will be far easier if you let things pass, until you are experienced and knowledgeable enough about who is who, and what is what”.

Hopefully she will accept my advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Eleanor nodded gravely as Henry confirmed Lord Mountjoy's warning about the Merry Gang. "Lord Mountjoy was very kind." She observed, gaze downwards, but inwardly pleased that Henry clearly deemed the man appropriate company. That was heartening; knowing that she had one other at least at court to whom she might turn if she had need. Great need of course, for she would not want to bother him, but Eleanor was accustomed to being surrounded by those who would care for her. This venture into court was a great stepping out, and she did not undertake it without trepidation. But it was interesting that Henry described the Merry Gang as geniuses. Perhaps it was better to read their works than be in their company. Then again, there often lay a fine line between genius and madness. 

A brief but brilliant smile was her answer to Henry's agreeing to have breakfast with her every few days. It was another reassuring pillar of safety and support. She could do this. He would look after her, and she would find her own safe place at court. And not only that, but he offered her the use of his coach! Complete with driver who could act as a bodyguard. Oh, that was wonderful. That meant that she might safely explore the parks and the township a little. "Oh, that is very kind of you. Thank you." Her tone was enthusiastic. The coach and coachman would mean a degree of freedom that she would not otherwise have, whilst also meaning safety. "Perhaps we could take a carriage ride together some time, when your schedule allows." She suggested. It might be a fun alternative to having breakfast together. The thought was a pleasant one. 

Henry indicated that he had two other things to discuss, and Eleanor listened attentively, noting his advice on how to explain her presence at court, should someone ask. She felt she might know where this was going. Interestingly Lord Grey did not mention her little contretemps with Lady Lucas directly, but the subject hung quietly in the air as he explained that precedence and power didn't necessarily equate. Hmm. The idea that commoners and those of lower station might hold sway over those of good breeding and heritage did not sit well with her, but she could see the logic in his words. Money could speak louder than blood, even if it's language was coarser, and those on the lower rungs could have powerful friends. "I believe I understand." She said gravely.

Taking a deep breath, she added "I will write to Lady Lucas with an apology." She would not shy from her actions nor their consequences, but accept her responsibilities. "Perhaps we... each misread your intent when we were introduced." She allowed. Eleanor had thought that Cordelia was meant to be a female role model and confident, and the older lady seemed to think the was supposed to be a surrogate governess. "Hopefully we can start afresh." She added. If Lady Cordelia was indeed a force of influence at court, then it would not do to be on her bad side. 

“Lord Mountjoy is the epitome of elegance, married to German quasi-Royalty, and has the confidence of King and Queen…” or so the rumour mill said. “He has also been elevated from Viscount to Marquis. I can think of very few noblemen that would make better protectors for you”. And some of them are the same rakes you would do well to avoid. That Mountjoy had been so kind to Eleanore made Henry happy. He would have to reciprocate somehow. Perhaps it is a way of thanking me for granting him access to my deer herd? If so, Lord Mountjoy is generous indeed. A bottle of something exceptional might be warranted. If they had been in London, a score of quail would have made a good gift, but in Windsor Castle such a thing would prove inconvenient to store.

“As for carriage rides, yes, I would like that very much. Not only would I have the pleasure of your company, but it would show Court gossips that we are adequately close, as family should be”. It was the same principle as being seen having breakfast together. The secret was to do it often enough for people to notice, but not too often, or wagging tongues would start spreading lies.

The young lady was wise. She understood what had been left unsaid perfectly. “Lady Lucas is well-meaning, but her… way of stating the good she means is a little… incomprehensible at times, shall we say? I have been on the receiving end of it, and I know”, the Baron said with a knowing look. “But perhaps a note with an invitation to do something together would be a good step”. Henry thought so. “She has been asked by Her Grace Newcastle to find husbands for two of her daughters. She has also been asked by your Uncle to help him find a wife”. That last was said sotto-voce. “As her successes increase, so will her influence. Funds do not change hands for such things, but favours can be asked later, when needed”. Nothing else needed to be said. Power did not come from precedence or money only. Influence was far more subtle… but far more effective, even deadly if need be.

The rules and expectations by which she had lived her life were clearly not the complete picture here at court. Not irrelevant, but there were further considerations now that she was away from the safety of her family's close attention and estates. For example the need to be seen together, but not too often. She didn't doubt that there would be others.  Henry's words made that clear, and Eleanor resolved that she would listen and learn. But not all was to be difficult or challenging either, her new acquaintance with Lord Mountjoy was clear evidence of that. There were some very good people at court, and she would find them. "He was good enough to introduce me to Their Majesties." She revealed, hoping that Henry wouldn't be too put out at not having done so himself. "His Majesty was kind, and Her Majesty asked to see my embroideries. I am to speak with Lady Beverley to make arrangements." She was really quite proud of that, though carefully omitted her moment of forwardness with the King and Queen. But Henry should know of her activities and connections. She wanted his advice. 

"Would you consider us taking a carriage ride on Monday then, for our next conversation?" She suggested, hoping that it would not be too forward. If they didn't have breakfast together then he might catch up on sleep if he had not slept well again. "And I shall sit with you at church, of course." That was only proper, she thought. They were family, they should attend church together. 

It was something of a relief to know that even Lord Grey had noted Lady Lucas's manner and did not seem to be too upset with her over her own reaction. Perhaps if she had been forewarned, she might have reacted differently, but there had been no time. Curse that broken axle. Still, now that she knew she was not to only one to find the lady somewhat abrasive - Lord Grey, Lady Alyth and Lord Mountjoy had all said similar things - she could account and adjust for it on their next meeting. She resolved that she would be tolerant of the lady's nature, whilst brooking no actual insult. The fact that the Duchess of Newcastle had asked Lady Lucas for assistance surely spoke of her influence, and the point that any she helped would be likely to grant favours was one she took to heart. Lady Lucas might not be a Duchess herself, but clearly she had powerful friends. 

Still, Henry's suggestion that Eleanor invite Lucas to an activity was a good one. It would give them something to do other than just talk and possibly get on each other's nerves. "Thank you, I will do that." She said, with a small smile of relief. She had a Plan to resolve the situation, she need only execute it. "Do you think she might like to take a walk in the gardens?" Eleanor herself was dying to explore them, and gardens had such a calming effect. If Lady Lucas was truly that influential, then she was worth knowing properly. Apparently even Henry had asked Cordelia for assistance in finding a match! But of course, her mother had explained how he'd come to inherit when his elder brother died without an heir. "Clearly Lady Lucas is well trusted." She observed. That was worth bearing in mind. 

"Still, with Lady Newcastle looking for a match for her daughters, you might have made things almost too easy for her." She said in coy tones, a little smile dancing across her lips. Of course her Uncle was worthy of a Duke's daughter! 

“Lord Mountjoy is not only a true gentleman, but also an accomplished courtier. I would not be surprised if he is elevated to a Dukedom before long”. Henry was no court creature, but he did have an observant mind. “I am happy a man of his rank and influence introduce you to Their Majesties”. And I will need to send Mountjoy a token of my appreciation for all this. “And if you caught the eye of Her Majesty, you have started your debut rather well, dear niece”.

Carriage rides and Church attendance. “Yes, Monday morning would be good for a carriage ride. Lord Chichester is getting married on Tuesday, so Monday is actually best”. He would have to find a gift worthy of the couple. “As for Church services, yes, we should sit together. Perhaps near the middle of the nave. The front is for those in the limelight, and those that deem themselves worthy of it. The back is for those wanting to fall asleep, or for those with unsavoury intentions. I think the middle is about right… until we are better known and asked to sit more to the front”. Advantageous marriages, royal or ducal favour, or success in his research could provide that. Although Henry came from a very old family, he did not want to promote himself. That best came from others.

“Lady Lucas would like a walk in the gardens, I think”. She had mentioned the advantages of doing so. “If it rains, take a carriage. It will both protect you from the rain and show our familial ties”. That Lady Lucas was well trusted he did not comment on, because Eleanore’s next words were more important for him… and more dangerous.

How do I say this?

“As you well know, the Greys of Groby held the Ducal title of Suffolk and the Marquessate of Dorset. Anchetil de Greye fought at Hastings under William FitzOsbern. Before that, the Greys were nobility in Creully, Normandy. Our family is old, and respected”. All that was true, but most of it was past history, not present fact. “Other families hold the most prestigious titles in the land today. Some see us with respect, others do not. I am uncertain as to what opinion the Cavendishes have of us”.

An oblique way of saying that it was not Henry’s decision, but the Newcastles. He had not denied interest, though.

“Yet, there are other old families in England. Perhaps those are the ones we should gravitate towards. They are probably more like us. Time will tell”.

Henry thought of Eleanore as a Grey, not as a Bayning. Although he liked her father the Viscount, the Baynings did not have the long family history the Greys had. For others to think of her as a Grey might be better for the young lady, all things told.

Eleanor lowered her gaze and coloured prettily when Henry said that she had started her debut well. Not without hiccups, but she had done her best and the praise made her feel that her efforts and concerns had been worthwhile. "Thank you, Uncle." She would endeavour to continue in the same vein, whilst also learning from her hopefully rare mistakes. 

It was pleasing that Henry agreed so readily to a carriage ride as their next meeting, though when he suggested the morning she made the faintest of moues. How could one's calendar become so crowded when one was so new? "Would it trouble you terribly if we were to take our carriage ride in the afternoon?" Eleanor asked diffidently. "Only I had thought to suggest to Lady Lucas that we walk the gardens on Monday morning." That would give her time to make suitable arrangements, as well as allowing Lady Lucas the majority of the day for whatever other engagements she pleased. Goodness, several days ahead, and yet already she had two engagements! Well, if nothing Eleanor's first season was likely to be both interesting and busy. 

Daring just a little, Eleanor quipped that with the Duchess of Newcastle looking for a good match for her daughters, surely Henry's availability would make her life easy for her, but Henry seemed to take the suggestion altogether seriously. Too seriously. Ah well, Eleanor made a mental note to curb her attempts at humour; her uncle was the serious sort. Perhaps expected for an academic. Still, she listened attentively as he spoke of the ancient Grey lineage and it's accomplishments. They Greys of Grosby had been Dukes of Suffolk. Well, Duke technically, since the first Grey Duke of Suffolk had also been the last, having only daughters, one of whom had been Queen of England for nine days before being beheaded. The Duke had been beheaded too, for treason, though his younger brother was the ancestor of the current Earl of Stamford. The Greys came from an ancient, noble lineage. They had played for the highest of stakes, and they had won some and lost some. Though if one were feeling uncharitable, one might suggest that they had fallen from their previous greatness. The Baynings, by comparison, were relative upstarts, having merchant roots and the title being in it's third generation, but they were wealthy in land and one might possibly view them as a rising star. Certainly Eleanor's maternal grandfather had not objected to wedding his daughter to the family. Eleanor herself felt that she had the best of both worlds; an ancient line through her mother, and a modern, upwards rising one through her father.

Was it better to be of an old family with varying fortunes, or a new family with rising ones? Eleanor decided that she didn't know. Perhaps it was something she could think about, or learn by observation at court. Certainly she felt she could play either card, should the situation require it, and Henry's suggestion that they gravitate towards other older families was met with a nod. Certainly they were probably safer. "I will follow your lead Uncle." She assured him. He was a man, he was a Grey, and he had more experience at court than she did. It was the sensible, safe thing to do. 

She was about to ask whom he thought they should include amongst those families to gravitate to, when a sound caught her attention. In a grouping of chairs huddled around the fireplace, across the room from their breakfast table, one of the chairs had creaked. Unable to stop herself glancing in that direction, Eleanor saw the chair grow arms - something a chair did not normally have - and give a yawn. It was only morning; had someone been sleeping in a chair. 

Uncertain what to do about the fact, Eleanor glanced uncertainly at Henry, hoping for some sort of cue. 

“No problem with taking our carriage ride in the afternoon. Given the circumstances, I believe your meeting with Lady Lucas takes precedence”. Henry did not want the two ladies to be at odds. It would only make his life more difficult.

Eleanore indeed had the advantages of coming from both old and new families. Old families tended to view things in terms of generations, even centuries. If the family lost a title, too bad, another title would be gained in the future. But the newer families were less constrained in their thinking, seizing the day far easier than old blood. Henry did not have Eleanore’s advantage, so he tended to keep to well-established thought patterns. To him, old blood was preferable. It was like a club. Those that could list their ancestry to Hastings or even Normandy felt they belonged together… even though sometimes they did not.

“Oh, before I forget…” Henry remembered suddenly. “We have been invited to a picnic by a Scot family. A brother and four sisters. Baron Dundarg, Countess Alyth, then two other sisters named Fiona and Shona, who are about your age, then a younger sister. I told Baron Dundarg that I would ask you when it was convenient and send him word. I thought it would not hurt to meet them…”

Then a noise, two arms, and a yawn. In reply to Eleanore’s puzzled look, Henry moved an index finger to his lips, and said sotto vocce: “it seems someone slept here. I knew that space was tight in the Castle, but this is… unexpected. Perhaps a servant?” The Baron fell silent, fixing his eyes on the chair.

George continued to stretch, discovering a number of pains from sleeping in an odd position he gave a nasal groan as he stood up from the chair.  It was then that he felt that subliminal sensation of being watched, and turning there they were. Two persons, one known, and one of whom he'd not met. 

"Ha." he huffed with a lopsided smile, flicking a glance at the chair.  Bending to snatch up a trinket that had slipped from pocket to chair while he'd been sleeping, "Ahh, that is a very comfortable chair. Might I warn not to sit in it last you nod off. Ha. Err... forgive my unforeseen intrusion Lord Gray, Milady." he thought to then skulk off, though not before giving a 'go you' nod to Henry.