JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Stopping for a Bite at the White, Afternoon Friday the 16th

Louis Killington

The morning was spent as it often was: exercise, correspondence, and then practice with rapier and pistol.  Louis had foregone the embrace of his maid for the adventure that was to come at the White, where he was to meet the Duke of Norfolk.

The White was known to most all male courtiers, for it had well-appointed rooms that could be used for privacy, indulgent food and drink, and subtle courtesan-like ladies to be had for a hefty price.  Unlike the Hen's Toes which had many rooms available and was jammed with courtiers, The White could only be booked for a private room during a Windsor season by the highest of nobles. It was a frequent place for secret assignations of all kinds, not just romantic, even if it functioned as a haunt for enterprising, rich Eton students looking for their first tumble when court was elsewhere.

Stepping inside, Basildon removed his tricorn hat and prepared to give his cloak to an attendant as he made his way to the room Norfolk had reserved. This had been one of the meetings most sought by the Earl.  He had a Dutch ward that needed a husband.

• Blackguard changed the title to Stopping for a Bite at the White, Afternoon Friday the 16th

A youth of about fifteen took Basildon's things for him and then showed him to where the Duke of Norfolk was waiting for him.

The room the Duke of Norfolk had reserved had a chamber with a fireplace, comfortable chairs, a chaise, and table to dine. There was a door which led to a separate bedchamber. A light scene of clove, sage, and rosemary filled the room. 

When Louis arrived, Norfolk was standing by the mantle, nursing a drink. 

"Ah, Basildon. Good afternoon. Thank you for coming." He gestured to some bottles and glasses on a cabinet by the fireplace. "Drink?" There were no servants present, so he would have to pour one himself.

"Your Grace," Basildon greeted deferentially.  "Thank you for the invitation.  I wanted to see the inside of this place, being so innocent of places like this," he jested.  At the invitation, Louis went to inspect the bottles and pour himself the best.  "Never let a man drink alone," he uttered aloud.

"Congratulations on your daughter's wedding," he began after a sip.  He would want to be proposing another marriage before the day was out; but, first, it was important to gather other details and exchange pleasantries.  "How are the Hill boys faring?  I have thought of them often over the recess."

"Mmm, thank you," Norfolk replied to the wedding. "It is bittersweet, I am sure you understand, having heard of Baintree's sister and potential Catholic conspiracies. Most courtiers think I spoke for the girl and kept her from being thrown from court. I did not. So now there are whispers of my Catholic connections again." He let out a weighted and annoyed sigh. "I suppose it is of no great matter now that the anti-Papist hysteria has calmed some with His Majesty's heir and proving capable of bearing legitimate sons. Likely many if past repeats."

Norfolk smiled about the Hill boys. "They have recently started at Eton again, albeit with an armed guard. They dislike the company but such is life. I caught Trevor sneaking out one evening earlier in the week. I still doubt he is sitting. Boys will be boys."

"I have heard such scurrilous rumors," the Earl admitted.  He had a nose for gossip.  "Your next child needs to marry into a strong Protestant family.  I have an idea in that regard," he added as he moved next to the Duke at the mantle.  If they were closer, they could speak in a lower voice.

"Trevor sneaking out?"  He had a good laugh at that.  "Surely, your Grace knows that I never did such a thing ... over and over ... and over."  He was laughing.  "I fear my highest marks at school in my early to mid-teens was in female anatomy.  I am sure you heard nothing about my rebellious youth."  All of this was tongue-in-cheek.  "If you wish, I could give him some pointers.  It would be a wasted effort to discourage it completely."

"What of their grandfather?  What has become of him?" he asked in a more serious tone.

Norfolk raised an eyebrow. 

"An idea for a marriage for my son?" the Duke asked. His mind immediately assumed Basildon was speaking of his second son, his only unmarried legitimate son, Thomas, who was also the nephew of Lord Worcester. There was not generally much talk among the higher nobility of marrying bastards. "Do you have a sister I am unaware of, Basildon?"

He sighed, but there was a bit of a laugh of amusement in it, as they spoke of Trevor.

"We, all of us, had rebellious youths. That is what a youth is for. Some of us had somewhat rebellious of adulthoods." He had after all carried on with a mistress and then married after his wife passed. "I would not take much bother with it were it not for the boy did just get kidnapped and rescued once this year already. Repeat performances of that would not be beneficial to his continued existence." He took a healthy swig of his drink. "He did not realized I arrived to Windsor early, so he was coming in here as many of the Eton boys do."

Norfolk was not quite ready to divulge everything about Sir John, so he prefaced everything with, "His Majesty has charged me to keep that secret for him and trust only those who I can have total faith in. I do not believe your actions put you at risk of being involved with Danby's plot, but we do know there were English courtiers among them, as well as the Dutch. There will be spies everywhere in such instances, both high and low, nobles and servants. You must swear to keep what we speak of to yourself."

"Ah, would but I have another sister for your son Thomas," Basildon replied with a smile.  His one sister had married a duke and that had been a great achievement.  "I do have a cousin that is the belle of court, but I do not think she or your son Thomas are quite ready to marry."  The idea of an union between Nicci and Norfolk's second son began to germinate in his mind but the lad was only about 16 and Nicci had something of a reputation that might be known to Norfolk.  Of course, if the King were to assist with such a match .... 

"No, I am speaking of your other son George.  Your lady wife has been seeking a good match for him and I happily have a ward of marriageable age that has royal blood from the House of Orange, is a beauty, and likely has not been alone in a room with a Catholic.  My own lady wife has brought her to London at the request of our own Princess Mary, so any union would gain favor with the Queen of the United Provinces and the third in line to the English throne," he offered.  "Your problem is that you are broadsheeted as a Catholic, meaning a sympathizer with France.  What better way to dispel the slander than having your son marry a Dutch princess who has the same legitimacy challenges but likewise comes from a great house?"

No doubt Norfolk would speak of the current suspicion of the Dutch and the House of Orange.  Louis was ready to address that.  "The current suspicion of Orange cannot ever touch Princess Mary and my ward has been watched closely by my lady wife and my household.  There is no indicia of any capability or culpability into anything nefarious.  She reads the Bible most of the day and is harmless as far as I can see.  Your grandchildren through her will have royal blood, which is a rare thing these days.  I urge you to look past the moment and see the long term benefits," the Earl urged.

There was more laughter at Trevor and Norfolk's own rebellious way.  Louis still had many fond memories of his many affairs as a teen.

"I give you my word," Louis replied to the request for absolute confidentiality.  "Have I spilled to you any secrets that the King, Buckingham or even Danby have told me?  That stands as evidence of my discretion.  Remember too that His Majesty trusted the Hill boys into my custody, something that would not have been done if I were somehow compromised in the affair."

Norfolk listened to this argument, though he knew his answer far earlier in the proceedings. 

"It would not be right for me to find him a marriage before Thomas. My lady wife can think as she will and concern for her children, but there is a way of doing things.

"As to the Dutch and plots, you might think so, Basildon, but that does not make it so. A wife is always implicated in what her husband does, rightfully or wrongfully, and nobody yet knows how high up this plot goes. There are most certainly Dutch spies at our court as well as English conspirators that we haven't identified. I will not be in any hurry to make Dutch matches, regardless of religion. The commons will never like the French, but the nobility at court is much back to finding popularity in French decadence. The Dutch are simply not popular. If I required a protestant, I might seek a German one. Her Majesty having an heir has made her exceedingly popular."

Once he had Basildon's word, he said, "Sir John has made it back to England. His ability to travel was curtailed. The Dutch were looking for him at ports, so he had to hide until he could safely make it out. He was able to get to friends in France and then crossed the channel. He carried with him several lofty Dutch names who were in league with Danby, with letters as evidence, and also that Danby never made it there."

"Well that is unfortunate," Basildon admitted when hearing a rejection of Margetha.  He needed to get rid of her.  "You are a businessman.  Dutch values are low.  Now is the time to buy them, forwhen French and Catholic hatred burn anew, as they certainly will, lords will be scrambling for a connection with Dutch royalty instead and she will be snapped up for a premium."  He laughed at the comparison of his ward to commodities knowing it would not sway the Duke but it would allow Louis to say that he had told the Duke so when he inquired again about his ward.  Unfortunately. Louis needed a match this season.

"I agree no one seems to like the Dutch," he laughed again.  "They are dour business men, but I have a newfound interest in business.  Of course, none can compare to French culture.  Hate them if you must but also envy them."  He was laughing throughout his assessment trying to lighten the mood and build camaraderie. 

The secret was then whispered.  "Most welcome news.  I can only pray that William and Mary were not on that list."  If they were culpable, it would change dynastic relations forever.  "Danby never reached Holland.  That means either the French got him, or our King.  I think it likely the latter as the King seems little perturbed by Danby these days.  Though the man may be in the depths of the Bastille.  I heard nothing of him when I was in Versailles.  What is the next shoe to drop I wonder," he mused aloud.  "A demand that William hand over the men involved no doubt."

"Princes and royals generally go to great lengths to make sure they are not implicated in such schemes, so no, but that does not mean that they did not have knowledge of it or sanction it. That, of course, is very important to discover."

Norfolk nodded as to Basildon's speculation. "What William does when His Majesty brings forth the names might be telling. The King is going to meet with Sir John Trevor to discuss what he was able to uncover and what suspicions he might have. It seems the conspiracy extended to that Irish business with Williamson. The Hill boy's father was there when those officers that were give commissions took the required oaths, so the notion that Williamson gave Catholics commissions was untrue. It is likely Williamson was getting close to something that could have harmed Danby, and Danby sought to get rid of him first. He fabricated Hill being involved in some planned uprising to remove the threat of him saying anything and would have probably had him arrested for treason if he hadn't fled. The boy, Trevor, knew it was a lie, but Danby couldn't harm him and use them to manipulate Sir John, so there we are."

"Madness," the Earl announced softly.  "The Chief Minister I knew was a shrewd man.  He spent years fortifying his position and then he becomes part of a plan involving Irish Catholics that he hated, kidnapping young boys, joining a conspiracy to kill a Protestant King that had given him everything? Madness.  What could he hope to achieve that he did not already enjoy?  Even Parliament was unlikely to impeach him as long as he enjoyed royal favor.  Madness again.  Perhaps you have a more sane view of his machinations?"  He took a deep sip to provide the opening for Norfolk to reveal more.

"Then you misunderstand me, Basildon. This plot was not so very simple, and Danby not for the Catholics but against them. He used the threat of the Catholics to rid himself of his enemies. He had Williamson falsely embroiled in the Catholic plot, seemingly ensuring Catholic support for the Duke of York in the case of HIs Majesty's passing and the sale of commissions to Catholics, which is unlawful. Thus Williamson fell, nearly taking Lord Ibracken with him and thus one of the most influential Irish houses right along with His Majesty's cousin, Lady Ibracken.

"It rallied the anti-Papist sentiment which echoed through Commons and the Lords. It weakened every noble who has Catholic ties or family. It nearly killed all of those with evidence that Williamson did no such thing and left Danby free to continue his plotting with the Dutch. Except it was all no longer very expedient, his dealings with the Dutch, when His Majesty remarried and then the Queen pregnant, it was time to cut losses. Things had gone too far. He knew if His Majesty ever found out his grand plot was to make sure his brother could never maintain the throne after his death...

"And the Dutch were not so willing to give up the plot."

"Yes, I see that now," the Earl replied slowly.  Sometimes the best way to distance oneself from a plot was to appear not to understand its purpose or design.  "The Irish plot is interesting, though treasonous.  I could see the Dutch supporting it," he admitted, "but not the part about killing the King.  He had an heir and, failing that, York would still be in a position to take the throne, though I suppose they would blame the assassination on Rome and seek to side-step York in favor of the babe or Mary."  He took another sip of drink.  "even so, extremely dangerous and the chance of detection significant enough to outweigh the benefit to my mind.  I suppose that, had Danby stayed in power, he might have been able to cover up the tracks of the Dutch footprints.  To attempt something was folly but without Danby in power it was madness."  He shook his head in disappointment.

"So, your Grace, do you see us strengthening our positions at court, you and I, given this plot and our current positions?  Any role we might play to gain royal favor?"  Louis saw opportunity in every crisis. 

Norfolk shook his head and said, "The Queen was not pregnant then, and it likely started long before there even was a new Queen. These machinations at court are long games, Basildon. People who are intelligent look to gain advantage in the future and lay the pieces in the immediate." His family had, after all, survived when a lot of others had not over the course of time. They had weathered treasons, attainders, beheadings. Basildon was new blood, and there was always a danger in the learning curve of new blood. Old families were old for a reason; they learned to survive and passed those tactics down father to son.

"Do you think the country would support York?" Norfolk said, with an amused snort. "They hate Papists and went after removing rights from Lords. That is why I converted. The Mob would never accept a Catholic king or Catholic rule by parliament either, and York is too staunch and unyielding to work to keep his own head. It would be easy for the Dutch to lend support to those who would give York trouble, and that was most likely the plan. His Majesty remarrying and getting his wife pregnant was not a given when this must have started. When you have planned to murder royals, my lord, it is difficult to pull back; anyone involved would know it was a death sentence to be found out, so there becomes no risk in continuing, but they failed. It is not as likely another attempt will be made."

As to strengthening their position at court. Norfolk had enough on his plate to concern over than worrying about Basildon's position. He had two legitimate sons who persisted in being disobedient. The younger less so, but it was still a problem. Dukes enjoyed far more enemies and dangers and needed to maneuver far more. He was not a man to share his strategy overmuch.

His brother-in-law had suggested to Basildon to seek out Shaftesbury and the earl had not wished to. Worcester had done so himself and had maneuvered that well. It seemed to Norfolk that the earl did not take advice so well. Buckingham had told him to get rid of the Dutch girl and he hadn't. Basildon, in a word, seemed something of a risk to him to share more than what he was already involved with.

So, he turned it around, "What do you see as your opportunities? His Majesty wants those involved who are English, and those are names that are not known."

"The people would hate him, but if His Majesty prepared the kingdom appropriately and he were the only option, the country would accept him.  We both would have," Louis noted about York.  He was friendly with York, and given Norfolk's proclivities, Louis was convinced he would have supported York as well.

"I agree there should be no more attempts on His Majesty's life after this.  As for the Prince of Wales, I am less sure," he cautioned.  Catholics would have motives in that regard.  "Who are to be the prince's godparents?"

Norfolk did not seem to be open about sharing opportunities, or perhaps Basildon's paranoia saw it that way.  Stirring the drink in his hand, Louis decided to offer an example.  "The King is through with Danby and has no desire to name a new Chief Minister."  He knew that from Buckingham.  "Thus, the KIng has turned to old and trusted advisors in this time of uncertainty."

"If there is no Chief Minister, then who is to lead the Court Party in Lords and Commons?  Danby bribed half of Commons to do his bidding.  Who will take up the task to collect receipts on behalf of the King?  Buckingham, surely can be the leader in Lords, but does he have the time or patience to walk the halls of Whitehall and Westminster to gather votes and push legislation? Perhaps.  I do not have the time, nor you I expect.  The King's advisors are not necessarily natural parliamentary diplomats.  Perhaps none are needed now that the Country Party is retreating back to the rear pews.  The King has need of advice from old friends but he shall have need of worthy agents in Parliament, in both houses.  With change comes opportunity, Your Grace.  While there is a large privy council that serves the King, and I am a member, perhaps there could be a privy group that serves him in Parliament.  We have the Houses of Villiers, Howard, Somerset, Worcester and we allied houses like mine and Ibracken.  Might we form a group to help control the agenda in Parliament, and exclude rival houses we do not enjoy?"  That would include the likes of Ormonde and Cavendish (Howard rivals).

"We set up a commission in Lords to investigate the treason enacted by Danby and, with it, lift the shadow on your family, Ibracken, Williamson and our allies.  A Parliamentary investigation could clear all of the old houses of any suspicion.  Surely that would be a worthy enterprise if led by the right lords," he offered.  "I have only toyed with these ideas in my mind.  I do not see power residing in any one person but shared among a faction of right thinking royalists who will flush the disgrace of Danby's Court Party and give it new life and meaning in support of the Crown.  Surely such an effort led by illustrious peers such as yourself, Buckingham, Somerset and whomever, would bring a smile to our King's face, would it not?"  It was time to drain his glass and give Norfolk a chance to weigh the idea.

"Shaftesbury," Norfolk informed Louis. "As he has always done. The mob trusts him and now he is back in the King's good graces though that is not widely known." The Duke then added, "I believe Lord Worcester suggested you meet with him, but you demurred; my brother-in-law went instead on his own and reaped those benefits. His Majesty has been using Shaftesbury to root out conspirators; like Buckingham, Shaftesbury would never involve himself in a plot with Danby but yet has better idea of who has Dutch sympathies and who amongst the Dutch capable of such a wild scheme."

Basildon clearly didn't remember that Buckingham went through many periods of influence with the Commons, but perhaps he was too young to remember the "Alderman George" days. 

"And one needn't do the work themselves if they have allies in the Lower House who do as they say," Norfolk advised the younger man. Most of the old families had gentry cousins or younger sons aplenty in the Lower House. Almost every influential lord funded the MPs who sat for the areas in which they had land. It was a common way of gaining political power. "The Country Party isn't going away or losing power, but they do not have a cause to quarrel with the king anymore on Catholic matters. Most of them were royalists once and will be so again. What they were attempting to prevent no longer exists, especially if Her Majesty falls pregnant again soon." And their king was no where near as punitive as most. His Majesty was a peace-maker and many of them would be easily welcomed back into the royalist fold. 

"Lord Ibracken sits in the Lower House. His title is not English. Somerset may be your relation, Basildon, but he is a youth of poor constitution who seems to have little head nor desire for politics. If one wishes to be strong, one does not add weak links regardless of their title, though I could perhaps agree with the rest. Excluding other houses from taking advantage of the gap in power is of paramount importance. There are many factions in Parliament. All the families you mention have their own alliances, many through blood or long history, which cannot be ignored." 

Norfolk had other Howard relations with titles. Buckingham had a horde of them. Worcester had Brooke (and others) as much as Basildon through marriages, and Brooke had played the game far longer. There were old Irish alliances between the O'Briens and Saint-Legers. Young, new men like Basildon generally were not very well aware of those sorts of things and that complicated matters. They put too much stock on rank and not enough on actual power and influence. 

"The Duke of Buckingham will want to spearhead his revenge upon Danby and his family, but clearing Williamson and all the rest will surely require separate attention, even though it is part of the same effort. His Majesty will want that done early. It is also likely he will simply release Williamson as he has that ability."

"I suppose I should not be surprised by Shaftesbury returning to the fold, but I suppose that I am surprised by the immediacy of the warm relations," Basildon admitted as he refilled his glass.  "Yet, query, how long the devotion will last once the republican-loving Whigs return to their ways of keeping the Crown penniless so that it can be controlled.  Fortunately for the King, his resources seem to have increased of late.  As such, the Whigs will have less sway for a time,"  He knew reasons for the King to have collected more coin.

"They cannot abandon the country folk or their desire to curb royal party.  Perhaps Shaftesbury is a marriage of convenience for the moment."  Louis assumed the worst in alliances with former foes.  "Still, I suppose I should engage with the Earl in the upcoming Parliament."  Basildon was one to cast his net for possible opportunities.

"What you say is true.  Perhaps the older families will vie for power with Buckingham being the Kingmaker.  That would suit me, I suppose.  Though my brother-in-law is weak. myself and my lady wife are prepared to speak for the Seymours and Somersets, which are her relations and I have now two marriage connections.  The House has allies that date back generations too and are worthy to join the new lead coalition," he declared.

"In the Parliamentary investigation, it must be made to look fair.  What could be more fair than having the Royal Chancellor, who is my relation and ally, myself, a former protégé of Danby, the Earl of Lindsey, his brother-in-law, and perhaps a Country Party representative or two?  The result will appear fair and the courts could help.  Mountjoy could be employed to prosecute the case."  While Basildon sought membership in the new CABAL, he had to win his way in with his wife's and sister's relations, plus a service to the Crown that he was well-situated to perform.  "Better to release Williamson after he has been cleared of wrong doing by Parliament."

Norfolk was not as surprised as Basildon over Shaftesbury. He had anticipated extreme shifts following the birth of an heir. The affair with the Dutch also necessitated using those who knew those circles and who might have ambitions and connections to use them. 

"There were many years that Shaftesbury and His Majesty got on well," Norfolk replied. "Many others were they got on well enough. It has only been in the recent years since the Test Act and the required oaths and the drive for Exclusion that found Shaftesbury unwelcome. The Dover Treaty business with secret negotiations to subvert parliament brought him into deep contestation with Danby." Danby had won that round, but ultimately Danby had overplayed his hand. The note to Arlington about not supporting Toleration that some Scot had turned in to the King had been the beginning of the end. One could not remain Chief Minister and not advocate the terms His Majesty wished advocated. It had been one of the things that had brought Arlington a bit closer. 

"And Shaftesbury is not the most extreme of that party. He simply knew how best to use the fears of the mob and common people to advance his own power and keep himself protected. What that man wants more than anything is a chance to influence His Majesty's policy again, and he cannot do that from without. It must be kept quiet that His Majesty is meeting with him until more is known about who else was colluding with the Dutch. Shaftesbury would seem their friend with his preference for any Protestant state, and it needs to remain that way for now."

Basildon could declare his support for his sickly and young ducal brother-in-law all he wished. Nobody was like to take the youth seriously and would take Basildon's support for what it was, which was a desire to advance his own power. It would be exceedingly difficult to convince any of the Seymour allies to simply listen to Basildon and his wife. Truth be told, it seemed Basildon allowed his wife more influence on his own affairs than he should. They said the Dutch girl was her idea and her continued influence. The Howards had been playing this game for a long time. It was not so simple as Basildon wished it to be. 

"Push the Seymour cause too hard, my lord, and it is like to have the opposite effect from what you wish," was all Norfolk was going to say. "We shall have to see what is His Majesty's pleasure, but I doubt he will want the involvement of any of Danby's relations, and there may be others he wishes involved. In such cases, Danby's relations will be kept on the outskirts of things for some time or it would be an insult to others whose families have not gone against the King. We must all be mindful of the impressions our suggestions cast, because a King cannot be seen to be too easily forgiving in such instances or it diminishes his royal power."

Norfolk then added, "With the Williamson affair. We will need Trevor and Arthur's father. Now that Sir John has been safely back from the Netherlands. It has to be assured that there are no lingering agents of Danby in Ireland that can do something to him before he arrives here. You and Lord Worcester should speak to Lord Brooke." Norfolk took a breath. "Ormonde's wife is Dutch. He has Dutch connections, and we have yet to be able to fully clear him of involvement. We must go around him and make sure Hill gets here safely."

Norfolk reminded Basildon that Shaftesbury had been one of the CABAL not so many years before.  "Yes, I recall."  The Earl had been the Lord of Trade as well.  No doubt the Whig leader missed his prior influence.  Norfolk confirmed it.  Louis could understand the need for secrecy.  "I understand the need."

It seemed that either Norfolk disregarded the Seymours or suggested that Louis did not have sufficient voice in their thinking.  Basildon was blessed with a powerful, intelligent, and politically savvy wife.  As such, he allowed her a freer hand than many lords might afford their own wives.  Louis knew that he originated from a weak and new house, and was something of a black sheep as well.  So, it was only fitting to have the light shine on his wife and her bloodlines with the oldest families and royalty.  As she loved and respected him, he would merge his own identity with hers so that he might too bear the mantle of the powerful Seymours.  While seeking to be a leader of the family, he would be mindful not to push too hard.  There was Worcester and the Somersets, as well as Finch.  The politic riches were there for the taking.  Basildon had independently courted Danby to add that power to his own.  For a time it had seemed the perfect pairing with his wife's family; yet, he had abandoned the Chief Minister just in time to join with Buckingham, which too was a perfect political marriage with his wife's family.

"Your points are all valid Your Grace," the Earl began.  "Yet, I would submit that the findings of a committee are all the more powerful when Danby family members and former allies are members.  It makes the panel appear independent and fair, when it would be anything but that.  There may still be sympathies lurking for Danby.  Let it die with the findings endorsed by those that should have sympathies for the fallen Minister."  Louis was focused on appearances in this regard.  "That is not to say that the King could not choose to create a panel full of those hating Danby to do the investigation and dare anyone to challenge the findings.  It may be that none would ever dare criticize the findings of any panel appointed by Lords, Chancellor or the King."  

As to his suggestion that he and Worcester visit Brooke, Basildon was agreeable.  "Very well.  We will avoid Ormonde.  We want our Irish friends cleared as soon as possible.  If Brooke is the best at it, I will enjoy an opportunity to meet with him."

Norfolk chuckled, "Nothing needs to seem fair after what Danby has done. By touching the affair with Williamson and driving it, the whole thing is tainted with his treason already. None are predisposed to see the former Northern Secretary's action as nefarious but rather more machination by Danby to get the man out of his way. It is only for Williamson's name and to officially clear Hill of openly supporting some sort of Catholic rebellion that it needs done at all. So that it is official record. There will be little problem getting you on such a committee if you wish it, but I would be wary of showing sympathies to those associated with Danby in any capacity. His Majesty is suspicious and irate."

Nothing could be officially done until His Majesty called a sitting of Parliament which could hardly be done during a Windsor season when half the lords of import were not even in London. That was why he anticipated Williamson would be released before then. At least quietly if not overtly. 

"Not to mention that anyone who said word of any of it being unfair could only be suspected of having been in on it with Danby to begin with," Norfolk said. "These are dangerous times. As in times past where any hint of Catholic support could be twisted into an outright declaration of supporting Papist threats, interventions, treasons, or murder, now anything spoken which could associate one with Danby or sympathy to any of his people and causes could get one labeled a traitor." 

The younger lords had a tendency to underestimate such things. When one had yet to be falsely slandered and set on one's heels, it was easy to not see potential traps where one could lose one's head. The Howards had lost enough heads to be expertly wary. 

"Like Lord Worcester and myself being the first of our families to convert and take the Oaths, Lord Brooke was in danger of having Catholic sympathies misused by Danby and would have no reason to collude with him for the same reason; his interests would not have been served by being involved with Danby, but it is not the case with Ormonde. As I said, Ormonde has yet to be cleared, but he is also not particularly suspected even with a Dutch wife; His Majesty is leery of the Duke. It is safer in making certain nothing happens to Hill, to have Brooke's Irish retainers manage getting him out of hiding and out of the country; he is Lord Deputy of Ireland, so it makes sense if not using Ormonde that it would fall to Brooke to help us manage it quietly." 

As Norfolk spoke, Louis used the opportunity to refill his glass and swirl it in his hand.  He nodded understanding as the Duke spoke.  All Dutch and Danby sympathizers were suspect. A pity.

"I am not certain that membership on the committee would be a good thing," the Earl mused aloud.  "Originally I viewed it as a service to the King to undo Danby's machinations."  The younger lord was trying to project its value years in the future.  Perhaps Williamson, the Hills, and some old families with Irish connections.  That seemed to weigh in favor of such service.  "What of you?  Would you wish to serve on the committee?" 

Now came the question about the Osborne family.  "Danby deserves what he gets, or what he may have gotten in the way of justice.  I know the Bertie family is interested in distancing themselves from the former Chief Minister.  Lindsey is the Lord Great Chamberlain and has come to me for assistance.  It is a scar that he carries as Osborne's brother-in-law, especially since his sister and Danby did not get along particularly well as I understand it.  I think Lindsey would look for a way to remove the stain and suspicion upon his name.  That is why I was thinking this committee might help him and the Crown in demonstrating that his own family had turned their back on the treasonous earl. He has brought ruin upon them," Louis observed.  "Perhaps it is too soon."

"I will seek out Lord Brooke, as you say.  We need to dispel the defamation that Danby conjured," Basildon stated as he pondered what he would say in the future meeting.

Norfolk raised an eyebrow as Basildon seemed to backtrack on wishing to be a part of hammering the nails in Danby's mess and in clearing Hill and Williamson for the official record. Had he balked about not showing sympathy for Danby's relations? That was interesting...what could it mean?

"I would, with my involvement already. I should like to make certain it is known what Danby has done in its entirety and to uncover whatever more there might be. The Hill's father is a rich and influential man who owns great tracts of land; one can only imagine what Danby intended. He and Lord Ibracken are close, who - in turn - was very good friends with Williamson." Which was to say that such actions followed Norfolk's own alliances and friendships. 

"You do know that the Lord Great Chamberlain is an honorary position who doesn't really do anything unless there is a coronation? Just as I am Earl Marshall and have very few duties," Norfolk said. It was no great thing with very little influence or access. "I would be wary of entertaining much aide considering your former connection to Danby; such sympathy could be misinterpreted. At least, not right away. He would have to do something more than speak ill of a traitor to disassociate himself. It is a stain that seeps to one's associations, especially familial ones."

Basildon had asked Norfolk if he wanted to be a part of the committee as a way to measure the opportunity.  If the Duke demurred, it would be a signal that there was a risk to serving on the committee.  Norfolk appeared to be the cautious court veteran that never took risks.  In this regard, the two were very different.

"If you are willing to stand for appointment to the committee, then I shall do so too.  I shall suggest to my brother-in-law that there are other matters more deserving of his attention and I shall tell Lindsey that he needs to assume the lowest profile possible until Danby and his perfidy is dead and buried, so to speak.  I assume neither will like the answer but one needs to heed the advice of great men such as yourself Your Grace.  "Your view is likely more accommodating that many others at court, so that makes you an even better prognosticator of court sensitivities."  He sighed in resignation, but displayed no annoyance.  This was part of the game.  He would need to find another way to get Somerset more involved in court.

"I should like to meet Sir John when you think it best.  Who does not enjoy the tales of an adventure?"  He smiled at the thought.

"What other news?  Is Monmouth to stay banished?"  He was no friend of the bastard Duke.

Norfolk nodded as Basildon reflected upon what he had said.

"Perhaps Sunday would be a good day. The boys will be with me at the chapel services and then for dinner. I am sure you find entertainment in seeing them once more as well. We can speak with Sir John afterward if that suits you?"

The mention of the Duke of Monmouth made Norfolk sigh a bit. "My understanding is that his banishment was indefinite. That is not to say that one day His Majesty might not forgive, but the fool boy has proven time and again that he cannot be trusted and that he is jealous of his betters. I don't doubt the Queen will resist it after he had the audacity to burn York's effigy and float it toward the palace considering the new heir is her legitimate son with His Majesty. Monmouth allowed Danby to influence him, so forgiveness shall not be simple. He is best staying with the Dutch if you ask me."

"Sunday will be good," Louis agreed.  "It will be good to see the boys again in chapel.  I am happy to join you afterward with Sir John, whether in a walk afterwards or dinner."   It was good to maintain a close relationship to Norfolk, even if he was thought to be a secret Catholic.

"Yes, he should stay with the Dutch," he agreed about Monmouth.  "You know, he would have benefited most from an assassination.  And, his connections with the Dutch make him suspect.  I would say that no one would be that stupid, but then we are speaking about Monmouth and his dream that he is the Protestant heir."  In fact, Louis considered giving voice to that conspiracy rumor in his next issue of the Gentleman Spectator.

• 3 weeks later...

"Join us for dinner," Norfolk said. "Just us menfolk," he added, including the boys in that.

"I heard a whisper or two that Monmouth burned an effigy of the Duke of York on a boat, influenced by Danby though no doubt far further than even that fool would have suggested, and that it was floating toward the palace where it might be seen by all in sundry when Ashburnham and Lady Jane Digby jumped into the water and put it out." He shook his head. Idiocy like that was what spurred enmity between religions. "That is to say that it would not surprise me, but even he must realize that he is now at the hospitality of two heirs which are Protestant and would take precedence over him."

Norfolk left unsaid that it would have been better for Monmouth to have died valiantly in some battle, still golden in the King's heart. 

(OOC - Shall we fade out on this?)

"It would be my pleasure," Basildon replied.  "What night is best for you?  Shall we meet in town or are your quarters in Windsor large enough?  He assumed the former, but he assumed Norfolk could arrange a private setting in the castle.

"The whispers are true," the Earl acknowledged.  "Danby tried to blame the whole affair on me," he chuckled.  "That was when I learned he had betrayed me with false accusations.  Monmouth deserved what punishment he received."  He had disliked Monmouth ever since the bastard princeling had designs on Lisa.  Now that there was a legitimate Protestant princeling, Monmouth would be faced with becoming irrelevant at court.

~fin.