JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Solving the Savoy Scheme Monday Afternoon

The morning had been spent investigating the murder at the palace.  The Earl of Langdon, Colonel of the Langdon Regiment, Major of the Life Guard and Steward of Somerset Palace now sat in his office at Somerset Palace with windows overlooking the Thames.  Too many plots were washing over him.  He had been planning to confront one villain on the morrow with Sam, but now there was a murder at the palace and Sam had learned which ship had likely brought the Savoyards to London.  Were they potential assassins for the Duke of York, or were they merely enemies of the Duchess of Savoy?  He could not take chances.

Summoning Sam Gillis and his brother Bradley to his office, it was time to move forward on each plot.  It was a time for action and it made the world seem somehow more vibrant to the young officer.  These were the times he lived for -- danger and honor.

Gillis arrived first, striding manfully into the office with hat tucked under arm.  "You want to see me sir, I had been expecting to hear from you soon."

That it had been days since he’d delivered the urgent reply to Trentmont did not escape him. But Sam was not about to berate the ex colonel of the lifeguards for any tardiness in delivering the urgent message, if indeed it has only been delivered to day. It could have not been delivered last week - Langdon had acted like this side mission given him was a priority. 

Sam arrived with prompt attention as he knew she would.  She was portraying a more manly manner this day, as was her habit when surrounded by other soldiers.  "Yes, Captain," he replied formally, just in case others might be within earshot.

"I understand from Colonel Trentmont that you may have learned something important about the potential Savoyard assassins arrival, if the Duchess' warning is to be credited.  What have you learned?  I have sent for Bradley as well, but he may be focused on the palace murder."  Charles had drawn his attention away from the window and was watching Gillis.  They now had three matters to sort out promptly.

"I gave him the name of the Ship,"  that critique of the retired man was uttered under breath. It was a another clue that the old mans mind was going.

"A pair of men matching your description arrived at the beginning of the month on The Sealion, I was not able to talk to the ship’s captain, but one of the crew members told me that they boarded in Calais and exited here. A brief journey, with some cargo. A crate, listed in the ships inventory as livestock."  

"Cannons!"  He left out the blazing part as the situation was not dire.  It had been a week before.  "They could be anywhere now," he observed aloud.  Might they be involved in the murder of the palace?

"We need to get their names, though I suppose they may have phony names."  He paused as he thought on it.  "Better to know their false names than no names.  Perhaps I should send Bradley to speak with the Captain and the harbormaster about the names entered into the ledger of arrival."  He could use his brother first name in front of Sam, since they were complete confidantes.  It did not sound as a mission that required someone of his rank, especially with the drama at court this morning.

"Bradley?" Sam dared a certain amount of informaltity, even though on duty at the moment. "Are you sure he's the best choice?"

"I am happy to go. I think it better that a report back to you directly. If it's important, perhaps it isnt." 

Understanding completely the message, Charles lowered his voice.  "I am thinking we are both too senior to go, what with the murder at the palace today.  The urgency is lost now, so it might be an assignment to give one in great need of completing one successfully?" he hinted.  "I think our planned confrontation with Master Lewen tomorrow may need to be delayed as well."  While they had both been primed to pounce on that blackguard in the morning, the murder at the palace changed everything.  He could not be seen as sacrificing the safety of the monarch while chasing personal vendettas over golden daggers.

As he spoke Gillis expression shifted with a frown of understanding, but before Sam could reply - here arrived Bradley

"Oh hi." the lanky youth gave a smile that was an echo of Charles own, and puffed an embarrassed laugh at his near stumble through the door.  (His boots were taking a bit of getting used to.)  "How you doing Sam? And Charles, wow talk about some action in the Palace today. I’ve not even gone to bed yet, and I’m on night shift again tonight."  

The chattersome youth then paused and looked at the other two, it dawning on him they were in the middle of something.  

"Ah Bradley, there you are," Charles acknowledged in a quiet voice.  "It is Captain and Colonel in front of the men of course," he reminded his brother.  "Yes, quite the excitement.  I take it you warned the Queen's and York's detail as ordered this morning."

"Some information has come to our attention about some Savoyards matching the descriptions provided by the Duchess.  I need someone I trust completely to go down to the Docklands and get the names of the two men that arrived on the ship Sealion in the last week or so.  Customs Inspectors should have it.  But bring a man with you, in case things get rough, and ask the Captain of the ship, who is likely at a nearby inn,  for a description of the pair and whether anything unusual was said by these two passengers on his ship.  I'm not sure what we may find, but if you learn something important, I would like to be able to mention your assistance to the Duke of York when we apprehend the pair."

The assignment was couched in sounding important and a possibility of getting mentioned in dispatches to the Duke.  Charles did not want Bradley moaning at home about not getting important assignments.  This one promised to be rather safe for his brother. 

"Sorry about that.” With a lopsided smile he apologised to Sam, though with just the three of them in the room he hardly thought the ‘in front of the men’ counted.  “And yes I did, I tell you what they hardly believed it - gods honour it was so quiet last night, how did a murderer even get into the grounds. Anyhow, they wanted to know every detail I could tell them.”

Bradley had enjoyed a sort of fame being the reporter of such big news.

“I can do that, er Colonel.” A part of him protested at the deference, but if his brother was dishing out choice missions, then Bradley was ready to cow tow.  “I’ll take William with me, Trooper Abdy I mean. He’s a good man.”  A new recruit just like him.

"So, what have Savoys got to do with York then?  Oh. Or is that need-t- know information. Don’t you worry, my lips are sealed.” An excited energy made Bradley look even taller that moment, “Shall I go right now? Might be back in time for dinner – hopefully - it’s meatloaf night tonight.”

Eyes glinted, and he grinned.  This was way better than last week had been, this was why he’d wanted to join the services in the first place.

Sam looked at Charles again, inhaling, and with a look that said ‘were we ever like that?’

"Fine, take Adby with you; but, I want no trouble.  Remember you represent the Lifeguard.  You must be a gentleman at all times, if possible.  Get the names and descriptions and you can be back for dinner," Charles agreed.  Meatloaf was a treat.  Both brothers enjoyed that dish.

"This relates to what we discussed Sunday.  The Duchess thinks there might be a couple Protestant men from Savoy that plan to harm York.  I know it makes little sense that they would travel so far to try and harm our prince, but we cannot be too careful."

"If someone presses, you might say that they may be fugitives from Savoy, but only if you must."  One needed a way to deflect unwanted questions.

"I promise." Bradley agreed with a glance towards Gillis.  If Gillis was not stood there he might have told Charles he did not enjoy being treated like a child in front of the other soldier, but perhaps he'd have that conversation later.  "I'll head off now!" instead there was a salute and click of boots before he was off!

"On there other matters, are you needing any help?" Gillis paused to ask 

---

Some hours later, even as the smell of cooking meatloaf wafted through Knightsbridge, Bradley and Abdy strode down the hall confidently.  Their mission complete.  This time Bradley halted himself from entering unannounced, but instead knocked on his brothers office door.  

It had been a cautionary note to a pair of new recruits to not get themselves in trouble over such a seemingly routine assignment.  Siblings, however, could read whatever offense they wished.  It was the way of things.

After Bradley left, Charles was alone with Sam.  "No.  As much as I want to confound this Master Lewin on the morrow, this murder changes the priority of things.  Any other worries at the moment?" he inquired before they took their leave.

Later that evening

Bradley appeared at his door just as Charles was thinking about how hungry he was for the meatloaf.  His cravat had been removed and his coat hung from the back of a chair.

"Ah, Bradley, there you are.  Success then?"

It was as Charles had said, and in the wake of the Murder priorites had shifted.  "Nothing I cannot manage or defer till we get through all of this." Gillis replied.

It was going to be a busy day for everyone in the Life guards.

Later that evening

Bradley entered, behind him Abdy followed - both moved to stand side by side, hats tucked under their left arms.  "Yes very, though can I get reimbursed for the shilling it cost for ledger viewing rights?" Bradley asked, and Abdy nudged, "well that Trooper Abdy paid actually."

"Their names are Manfred and Otto Chambery, and their cargo was registered as chickens. They paid for their return fare in Livres, and still owe tuppence tax on the chickens.  The ah..."

"Purser." Abdy supplied.

"....yes the Purcer asked if he should be worried about the owed money, I assured him that they are probably good for it, but I’m not actually so sure."  Bradley replied seriously.  "In any case, everything seems above board, like you suspected. There is nothing to indicate that foul play is at hand." 

"I see," Charles replied.  Bradley did not seem to think anything was odd about the men.  Opening his purse, he gave three shillings to Adby and two to his brother.  "Your recompense Adby and a couple of shillings to reimburse the whistle you wet along the way," Charles remarked with a smile.  "Nothing odd about paying fare in French coin.  I suppose they brought chickens with them," he murmured aloud.  Something still nagged him.

"Why would you travel all the way from Savoy and pay all that coin to sell chickens here?  London has plenty of chickens."  He was starting to convince himself that something might be amiss.  "Chickens might sell a few shillings for a flock.  Cook can buy one for a farthing.  They take up room on a ship and you have to feed them grain," he continued.  "Can't be too smart of merchants, eh fellows?"

His fingers drummed on his desktop as he thought on it.  The meatloaf smell was distracting.  The Earl's mouth was starting to water.  "Chambery brothers," he muttered.  "I don't suppose they are still at the inn?  Did you learn when they are set to go back?"

"I'd have brought pigs, I love roast pork." Bradley mused in the same tone as his elder brother.

Meanwhile Abdy gave a nod of thanks, "Perhaps I can buy you a drink one day." how had Charles even known they'd stopped for a pint?! 

"Err, I thought their last name familiar isn’t that the name of where the Duchess lives?"  Abdy volunteered. It was one of the advantages of all life guards being from nobility, that they happened to know obscure bits of knowledge like this. "Might not mean anything. Or might be a dig, if like, they knew the Duchess was following their movements." 

"We didn’t go to an Inn, well, not for the ships log information. There was no record of where they are staying, though they are booked to go back when the ship sails again. Do you want us to arrest them?" Bradley was very ready to make his first arrest. 

It appeared that his men had just gone to the port authority only.  "Pigs are heavier," Charles observed, guessing Bradley was not completely serious.  "What was the date the ship was set to return?"

"Tomorrow, I want you to round up a couple more troopers and find out where they are staying and bring them back to Somerset Palace for questioning.  Because there are two of them, I want four of us, just in case they start to run.  Go early, like 6 am while they are sleeping it off in some bed.  So let's all hit the bed after dinner so that we can get some sleep and get up early," Charles announced.  He handed another ten shillings to Bradley.  "You'll need to bribe some folks to talk if they don't tell you voluntarily because of your uniform and rank."

"Now then, Adby, do you want to stay for meatloaf?  Cook always burns it just a bit on the top so the top is crunchy."

It wouldn’t be the first time a superior officer made an unrealistic demand, usually the men would need to try to meet the task anyhow, backchat is not acceptable in the military.  Usually. But Bradley spoke up, "What? But there a hundreds of Inns and boarding houses in London, it might take days to find the one where these two are staying! We should just get them when they return for their trip back on Friday. That's the obvious answer." 

Abdy meanwhile, did not mention that he was already intended for the lifeguards mess hall where the meatloaf would be served, both he and Bradley were, as they were residents.  

"If they show up for the return trip, which I doubt, it will be after they have killed the Duke of York," Charles explained calmly to his brother.  "The idea is to stop it before it is attempted."  He fought a sigh as Bradley always sought the easy path.

"Fair point, but these men had chickens with them.  What sort of place might provide rooms to men with crates of chickens in tow I wonder.  Maybe they are at a marketplace for chickens near the docklands.  Our English vendors might be able to spot a couple of foreigners selling chickens and speaking French ... or Italian.  That is what they speak in Savoy," he reminded the lads.  "So a place by the docks or marketplace would be a good place to look.  Maybe they are still using the names they gave our customs chap," he suggested, trying to be helpful.

"It is a long shot certainly but a man with crates of chickens in tow after arriving in the port might draw some attention.  We have to try and see what we can learn.  Let's give it a good show.  English chicken merchants might know something."  Of course, it was quite possible that the Savoyards disposed of any chickens they had and disappeared into the alleyways of London.  He would need to account to the Duke of York as to the steps he took to investigate the matter.  He could hardly do nothing.

Bradleys shoulders slumped. "Can we at least have dinner first?"

Looking for a the Savoyards at this time of evening was the last thing he felt like doing  - he'd worked a night shift last night, and come across the murdered body on his way back to the barracks, so it was a good 24+ hours since he'd had any sleep when his brother was suggesting he head back out into the city hunting.  

"Oh, did you? Well okay then." Bradley replied in a tone of apology to his brother, with an embarrassed look to Abdy.

"We appreciate your trust in us Major." Abdy spoke up.  William had a long history of being a good sort with the moustacheio’ed men, and continued true to his character now. He and Bradley were becoming thick and fast friends, more so for this joint adventure.

But the diner gong was ringing, summoning lifeguards from the woodwork into the quickly filled mess hall.  Meatloaf Mondays was always a popular night.

& fin!