JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Monopolizing Monday - Gowran Residence | April 11th Morning

#38 - Residence of the Earl of Gowran

The residence is separated from the bustle of the street by a five foot tall brick wall. A carriage arch with ornate wrought-iron gates leads into the modest but elegant front garden. A gravel driveway forks towards a small stable with an attached carriage house. The facade of the two-story townhouse itself is plastered with lime, and the fashionable sash windows have been painted black for contrast. Above the massive walnut wood double door is a balcony with a wrought-iron balustrade, supported by four pillars, creating a small portico.

Mornings were exclusively hers.  John for the most part quite enjoyed sleeping in, but he was far more likely to spend his time indulging himself into the late hours of the night before as opposed to her own usual schedule.  Mornings were quiet, the servants moved around at a slow pace blending into the background and giving her the quiet that stilled her mind.  She could think clearer in the mornings, plan things, and most of all she could get things done with a bit of peace.  

This morning was fairly typical for her.  Sitting in the dining room alone except for the footmen, Finn, who quietly blended into the background; Diana dressed in a rose pink silk dressing gown with one of her legs bent and folded unladylike underneath her.  Her disheveled, champagne-golden hair was braided and tied with a matching rose pink silk ribbon. To her left there was a mostly forgotten scone that oozed strawberry jam and butter out while to her right were a mix of society gossip pamphlets and the newspaper.  

Flipping one of the gossip pages over with a palpable disinterest, she skimmed the other side of the paper.  She’d already skimmed the political pages and they were as they usually were which only served to strengthen the decision she'd been stewing on since they'd been in Ireland several months ago .  The fingers of her left hand rested next to the almost forgotten scone while her right hand held her tea cup that was growing steadily colder.  Taking a sip, her nose wrinkled slightly and she sat it back down on the table as she picked up the pamphlet and set it aside.  

The House of Lords was to start again the day after tomorrow meaning that things would start rolling faster within the court.  Politics never really stood still, there were chess pieces to move around and in society that was done perhaps more often than not at parties and functions.  She took a small bite of the scone, careful not to cause the scarlet jam to ooze out onto her and set it back down as she chewed thoughtfully thinking on her plan and running some of the figures through her mind as if she were playing chess with herself.  If she did this... where would it leave her.  Maybe, she could move that piece here instead and it would set her up quite nicely for that windfall.  Hmmm?  

It was later than he should have been, but now strolled into the dining room with an air of having all the time of day.  "Good morning my dear." he moved bent to place a kiss atop her head before claiming his seat at the head of the table.  All the while his Valet was nipping about fussing and trying to organise his costume - fastening a clip, turning back a cuff, tying a lace - with his masters jacket crooked over elbow when a moment became available to place it upon him!

John (admirably) ignored him.

"I'll d damned pleased when this is all over. Is it four days every year? I feel like last year it was only three." the Dining room servants moved forward with platters of this and that to which the Lord of the house nodded or shook head at. Quickly enough he had a hearty English breakfast upon his plate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Licking the strawberry jam from her fingers as he walked in, she looked up at him as he placed the kiss on top of her head.  "Good morning, darling." She chirped happily enough as he claimed his seat with his poor valet bouncing around trying to organize him.  She watched quietly knowing her maid would have her outfit pressed and ready for her to slip into with no fuss.  However, since Diana had been up for some time there was no point in it getting rumpled before they were to depart for the last Easter morning service.  

One of the servants refreshed her cup of tea and Diana immediately lifted it to her lips to take a sip of the hot beverage as John prattled on about how long Easter was. She raised an eyebrow at him and sighed, "At least this is the last day of it until next year."  Dropping her eyes to her tea, she knew better then to jump immediately into her plans with John while he was breaking his fast. So, she started with something lighter...

"My cousin Davina, she was the one from yesterday, and I are going shopping later this week is there anything you wish for me to have done for you?" She took another sip of her tea and studied him as he ate his breakfast.  "Supposedly, there is some tension between my cousin and the Duchess regarding my cousin's hunting for a husband."  She settled backed into her chair a little more, her foot still bent up underneath her.  "Speaking of husband hunting, I need a few names to offer her so I can at least appear to be helpful.  Which of your friends aren't married? Or, not your friends... I'll even take just men in general that you know."  John would probably notice that Diana hadn't said she would be helpful, merely appear to be helpful but she didn't care.  How hard could husband hunting be? Davina had quite a few more resources at her fingertips than Diana'd had at hers when she'd married Gowran. 

He settled in to chair, privately admiring how his lady wife made even strawberry jam seductive. It was a wonder he got anything done, with such a saucy minx ever flirting about.  (He was certain she did these things deliberately!) For the moment he pretended to ignore her, and set to work with scrambled eggs, toast, sausage with a fried tomato on the side.

"No there' nothing I need, though if you are going past the saddlery you could tell the man I my patience is running out." One of the first things John had done when getting back to London was ordering some new tack from this supplier-to-the crown rated store. 

Chomping a good mouthful, Diana talked on more about her sometimes-hated/sometimes-loved cousin.  "I rather doubt she wants anything of Ireland, if I recall correctly even you had deep reservations." he replied between mouthfuls, "and to be honest, I dont know that I'd lumber any of my English friends with her either. You've not exactly sung her praises to be prior to this my dear. What has your cousin to recommend her, hmm?" 

It was an opportunity for Diana to change his mind.  

What was the point of having a God given gift if you didn't put it to use?  Diana would wield any light she possessed rather than hide it under a bushel.  

"I'll shall be just down the street from them," She replied as she lifted up the societal pamphlet she'd already skimmed once and let her gaze shift over it again this time a little more in depth. Lifting the tea to her lips, she took another sip as John continued. He had a point.  Davina probably wanted nothing of Ireland, and while Diana'd had reservations... she had always been more unorthodox than the brown-nosed cousin of hers.  Looking over the top of the pamphlet at him as he continued she blinked innocently and took another sip of her tea.  

"Hmmm..." She didn't immediately answer as she sat the pamphlet down.  What did Davina have to recommend herself?  After a moment, she spoke up.

"Me thinks my cousin is the sort of wife a man would wish to have if he wished to open a few political doors.  She's a lady to the Queen and has some rather influential connections to my family."  Diana paused and took another sip of her tea, "I don't know financially how she's set but she couldn't be worse than I was... and I don't think she's particularly homely."  

Gowran avoided approaching the fried tomato too soon, those things were notoriouly hot.  These sausages though, delicious! He helped himself to another and set to work. 

"Oh that sounds really seductive." he huffed a laugh at the initial recommendations. 

"Not that I think she's unattractive, but sounds to me like she needs a suitor that is more interested in brains than looks."  Pausing to waggle eyebrows at Diana, "Lucky for me, I got both.  Ha, well, to be honest you are a bit too clever!" and he again laughed. 

It belatedly occurred to him that his clever wife must have a motive.  "So, why are you wanting to help set her up?"   

• 2 weeks later...

She watched her husband tackle his breakfast with his usual gusto.  The man had an appetite... which wasn't entirely a bad thing.  She smiled to herself in thought and took another sip of her tea.

Looking over the rim of her cup at him, but didn't say anything immediately.  It was when he admitted that she wasn't unattractive, that Diana raised her eyebrows curiously at him.  It was one thing for her to say that her cousin wasn't unattractive but it was entirely another for him to have not only noticed it but to admit such a thing to her.  He was living bravely today.  

Thankfully, he seemed to realize the small faux pas and waggled his brows at her and complimented her.  Her eyebrows came down a fraction and she took another sip of her tea.  "Nice save, darling," She murmured silkily as she set her tea down.

It was his question as to why Diana was so interested in seeing Davina married that Diana didn't immediately answer.  Davina'd had suitors, Diana couldn't think of any other than Chichester off hand that had really been ones that Davina had been interested in but that was neither here nor there.  Diana was certain Davina'd had suitors and it hadn't gotten her anywhere.

"Why not?" She toyed with her napkin and dropped her foot to the ground and turned in her chair to look at her husband.  "An introduction to her future husband would garner us a favor from her if we should ever need it."  She said innocently, blinking big grey eyes at him.  "Besides, is that not what married relatives are suppose to do... help one another achieve formidable matches? Now, who do we know that might be interested in brains, my love?"

So much for trying to be polite.

Truth was that Gowran did not find Davina’s credentials Diana stated to be appealing at all, but there was someone for everyone so they said. For his own tastes, John had married Diana far more for her looks than brains, and she was clever enough to know that already.

Her Irish Earl was not a complicated fellow.

So for whatever actual reason, his wife felt like meddling in his cousins affairs.

“You are too young to become courts matchmaker.” He stated his thoughts on that, "and, well I rather imagine that your fussy cousin is more likely to take afront of the attempt rather than feel gratitude.  If you feel like intriguing my dear, why not intrigue me up a discount at a distillery or some such. And I’d be happy to now you a favour for that!” 

• 3 weeks later...

Taking another soul warming sip of her tea, she regarded him for a moment and then shrugged.  Davina probably would appreciate Diana’s help, but perhaps that was what made it just a tiny bit more appealing to Diana then it should have.  

Her husband had found a way to open up an interesting twist to the conversation she’d been hoping to have for him and rewarded him with a patient smile.

“Intrigue you up a discount at a distillery?”  She murmured contemplatively and slanted her eyes sideways at him taking her time.  “Why not just open your own?”  She set the tea down and shifted in her chair so she was turned slightly more towards him.  “England could use a good Irish whiskey.” 

Reaching over she broke a piece of the scone and put it in her mouth giving him a moment to digest the little seed she’d sowed.  As if it were an afterthought she added, “You could even employ some of your tenants as labor and then you wouldn’t need your wife to… intrigue you up a discount.”

• 2 weeks later...

It was a 'why didn’t I think of that' moment. 

"Hah!" he laughed but then stopped himself, "... mmm?  I rather fancy a bottle with my own name on it, but it would be too much work surely." 

But would it?

"It's a real skill, you cant expect just anyone to make a good drop. Perhaps I should just buy an existing distillery, somewhere near the estate, and develop it from that." 

Looking back to his pretty wife, with her 'butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth' look on face he puzzled, “And what do you get out of this my dear, are you growing tired of my ready availably and want to set me to work lugging kegs!” (He was joking about the carrying kegs bit.)

Diana snorted at her husband's appeal that it'd be too much work and simply raised an eyebrow at him knowing that the idea was taking root in his mind and that would be all it took.

Lifting her tea to her lips again, she took a sip and studied him.  Occasionally, she made the mistake of underestimating him.  Her husband was as far from dull witted as she was, his only problem was he lacked direction.  She smiled against the rim of the cup, that was where she came in.  It was a rather good idea buying an existing distillery, perhaps something with management issues or something that could be bought for a bargain.

Standing up from the table she sat her tea back down and moved over to stand next him as he looked at her as if he was trying to figure a puzzle out.  Smiling, she shifted and didn't wait to be invited before she sat down on his lap.  

"Mmm... that's not a bad though, picturing you lugging kegs, but no,"  She murmured and sighed and reached out to stole a bit of his fried tomato and poked it into her mouth before it oozed out from between her fingers.  After chewing and swallowing she looked at him, "I'm always content to have you readily available to me.  But I will admit I was considering ways that we could put a little bit back into the economy of our home."  She leaned into him and frowned, "I'd like to say I'm so charitable that I'm doing it purely to help the economy but seems like a poor day to tell a little white lie."  She wrinkled her nose, "Let's just say I've a social interest in cultivating a project or two."  

Feigning a pointed frown at him, "Especially since it would appear that my matchmaking days are rather numbered."

She moved to sit on his lap (as she was rather prone to do) and picked at his food with fingers (which was a tad annoying).  Quick smart he stabbed the last piece of sausage with his fork - claiming it. 

"Perhaps I'll buy a Poiton distillery and register it to make Parliament Whiskey, for export." being a Lord he did not technically need a licence, but might simply register it for the legally required taxes (that the greatest number of Irish distilleries did not pay, the act only having come in 1661 and being avoided by most)

Last bit of sausage was removed from fortk with his mouth, safe from her meddlesome fingertips.

"Or we might really give 'Old Bushmills' some completion and I could apply for a licence also."  he mused giving his wife's available l bottom a slap, "Ha! Would that be something for you to brag about over tea with your ladies?!" 

He did not particularly believe her claim of that, but was taken with the idea that it hardly mattered. 

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_whiskey

He knew her tricks well and snagged the last piece of sausage before she could pilfer it from his plate.  Pressing her lips together, she looked up at him and feigned a pained expression at him.  Really, what was the world coming too if she couldn’t steal food from his plate?

Whatever injury she was trying to imagine up though was forgotten as he started talking further and tossing around ideas regarding the distillery.  Pursing her lips, she leaned back into him and considered.

“Bushmill’s could use the competition,” She muttered, although her mind was still weighing the different options.  He didn’t have to apply for a license, but… then again.  Diana’s teeth caught her bottom lip and chewed on it.  

The swat on her bottom jerked her out of her thoughts and she laughed tilting her head and settling her narrowed cat-like eyes on him.  

“Over tea?”  Her nose jutted slightly up into the air as she sniffed, “If I’m going to brag about it they are going to have to drink it.”  It might have been a jest, although the idea of holding a whiskey tasting did sound appealing.  

Speaking of tea, she reached out to pilfer his cup, “I don’t believe I’ll be the only one bragging though.” 

• 2 months later...

"Ha, I'd hate to hear what your Howard family would say if you start serving up whiskey with their cucumber sandwiches!" Gowran gave a hoot of a laugh, "As for the Butlers - I think they'd roll with it, once they get over the initial suprise." 

His arm slid round her waist tighter and he pulled her in for a kiss, "My bonnie girl you are a clever one - it it wasnt so rough out and about at night I'd be near tempted to take you out whiskey drinking with me." 

• 2 months later...

"Really?" Diana tilted her head and grinned at him, "You'd hate to hear that?"  An eyebrow arched puckishly at John then pressed her lips together to suppress a laugh.  "I think it might be the most stimulating conversation from them."  She smiled again.  He was right of course, the Butlers, after they recovered they would roll with it and perhaps even enjoy the unorthodox of whiskey and cucumber sandwiches.  "Would the initial surprise be from the whiskey or our cucumber sandwiches?"

Leaning back comfortably against him, her mind drifted to thoughts of a particular night that she and her cousin, Henry Howard Jr., and Lady Neville had snuck out for a night of drinking and debauchery at a pub.  Truthfully, she didn't remember much of that night except that it had been less exciting than she'd imagined dressing up in Henry's clothing and pretending to be someone else.  Her arms wrapped around his neck and she sighed and shrugged a saucy wink at him, "Bold of you to assume that I haven't already seen how rough it gets out and about at night."