JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

The Plot Thickens | Lady Kendishall Hse. midday 7th

#43 The Townhouse of Lady Kendishall

Located on the south corner of Picadilly, this large house seems almost out of place with the smaller town homes further up the block. Likely it is because it predates the development of Pall Mall and St. James Square.

Though the house shows signs of age from its Tudor origins, the walled grounds of two acres are well maintained, with a nice garden in back. There is an entry gate to the front, and a gate in the rear to the stables. A military man might appreciate the security of the perimeter.

The house has 3 levels plus an attic. The ground level hosts a small ballroom, parlor,dining room and study. The second floor hosts a masters BR, Missus BR, and a guest room. The third floor has three guest rooms, with the servants sleeping in the attic.

Following his visit to Lady Cambray, George walked the few doors down Piccadilly street intent to see Lady Caroline Despanay, Baroness Kendishall if you please. 

The dapper gentleman had read his fair share of trashy romance novels (though he'd never admit that to any of his male friends), titles such as ‘The Pistoleer’s Plight', 'Heros in Hosiery' and 'That is not Mayonnaise Countess’. If those novels had taught him anything, it was that allies in grand ventures were more valuable than gold...

*Rat a tat tat*

George stepped back from the door after rapping it's knocker, and placing both hands criss cross over the head of his walking stick awaited it's opening.

It turned out the door was opened by an older man with unkempt tangles of hair and a weather beaten face, definitely not your typical servant looking sort. Upon being told by the gentleman he wished to talk with the lady of the house, the fellow nodded and allowed him entrance. He instructed the fellow to wait there and he would let  'his ladyship' know she had a guest. All said in a definite heavy Irish brogue. George would no doubt notice the man was wearing a sword sheathed in a battered leather sheath. A proper servant probably would have inquired the man's name but this was plainly not one of that sort.

Fortunately it was not a long wait before the woman George wished to see appeared in the hallway, pausing only to see who this mysterious guest of hers was. It only took one glance and she recognized the fellow,  George Hardwick. She certainly had not expected company because she was clad only in a robe and slippers.

"Lord Chichester? What a surprise. What brings you to my humble home?"

Edited by Caroline Despanay

George schooled his eyebrows to not show surprise at the butler’s particular style. He was an ex military man, that much was plain, but not one of those sorts that are given to idle chatter around the campfire.   “Thank you.” George repaid the fellows brevity with the same.

While he waited in the hallway like an errand boy awaiting payment, he wondered if he should say anything to the lady of the house.  She was only young after all, perhaps she did not realise the insult to his station that had been given.  Ack, but such instruction might foil the very purpose of his visit here today. Thus George decided to let it slide… and turned to busy himself with a look around the hallway for it’s artworks.

Much could be divined of a person by the style of art they keep close to them, what did he here learn about Caroline?

“Ah, Baroness… oh dear I have caught you inconvenient.” His smile hearing her approach faltered as he saw she was not ready for a guest.  Sweeping into a bow, “Please accept my apology.” None the less he did not suggest he leave.  That might mean another day lost, and time (nay - life itself!) was of the essence. “But I have a pressing concern, and discover myself much in need of feminine advice.”

Besides, if everything worked out, he’d need to get used to seeing ladies in their bed things!

Her art, well certainly nothing she had produced herself but rather purchased or possibly even kept when she moved in, was in the main focusing on nature though one painting showed a quite classical glimpse of ancient Romans frolicking in a garden of sorts. For an art connoisseur it would be mundane at best. Not that she cared, he put her stock in impressing people other ways.

The sight of her, her lack of proper wardrobe caused her visitor to apologize. With a wave of her hand, she dismissed it as unnecessary.

"Do not worry. I slept in late is all. If you feel uncomfortable with my present appearance, I can go change and, in the meantime, you can wait in the study with a glass of port to keep you company? Otherwise, I assure you, there are several noted men in court who have seen me in less," she smiled, brazen as ever.

The art included the to-be-expected landscapes, but with not so cliché piece. It was a Baccanale, George deduced, those romans knew how to frolic.  By accounts Lady Kendishall was something of a free spirit herself, puritans might wonder if exposure to such an artwork had assisted her on that path… but George was not one to judge. Except perhaps to say that displaying one’s inclinations for all to see showed bravery and a touch of recklessness.

While he kept his own (illegal!) inclines a secret, which was not cowardice as he looked at, it but simply good sense.   

These deductions were thus in his mind as he greeted the pretty doe eyed lady. “Please remain in your comfort, it is early yet for courtiers hours, I am perhaps overeager to have called without giving due notice.  Sight of you in your dishevelle is a treat I’d not anticipated.”  That was probably how heterosexual men spoke. “With such a precedent now made, I may take not prewarning my other lady friends of visits either.”

Which might seem a rather playful comment, even if spoken by the outwardly prim and proper Earl.   

“Oh my, you goad me to ask who those gentlemen rogues might be?!” George replied, though yes a little surprised that the conversation was taking such a turn.

Fortunately he was not going to make her go change, had he she would have thought the less of him for it - afterall it was he who entered her abode. In fact he called it a 'treat' which, while she was unconvinced of his sincerity, it was still a compliment and she loved compliments. As to what other lady friends of his might think of his tactic, well that was up to them.

"Thank you," she returned a short nod and charming smile, "Try it on them and see. Live life to the fullest I say. After all we could any of us die at any time, like my poor dearly departed husband."

May he rot in hell!

He seemed curious about her statement. She paused to assess him. Oh she knew some things about the debonnair handsome devil alright. She had been told of his callously leaving a fainted Sophia on the ground after some verbal tiff. Now she readily would admit Sophia could be a bit annoying and their friendship had on occasion been a bit rocky but the fact remained Sophia was a friend and she would NEVER do such a thing to anyone who meant anything to her. But.....back to the present.

"Oh I do not tattle tale or gossip," she declared, "much."

"Let me just say - and if you do not believe me, I do not much care - that His Most Royal Majesty once wanted me at a wild party but that I did not give in because of my affection for another friend of mine who I knew had her eyes and desires on him."

She then chuckled, "So despite what you may have heard from some wagging tongues, I can be a good person on occasion."

Hers was a charming smile, one that increased his own.  George did like seeing ladies happy, and had a growing list of fairer-beings that might testify he did just that. (Lady Habersham, Lady Cambray, not to mention Lady Frances herself)

“Bold words Lady Kendishall!” the ladies seemed intent on calling his bluff today, “to be honest I am less likely to do so. Rather, this shall be my lesson to forewarn gentle friends of any pending arrival of my person.” Said he, “though the advice to seize the moment is certainly one to live by I agree.”

As they were still stood in the hallway, not yet invited to a receiving room to sit, George sensed himself in the passion of interviewee.  Would he pass her inspection and be admitted into her rooms?  So far it was going well, so he thought.

“Truly milady.” While not one to gossip Caroline still knew how to spin a tale, and this one was most interesting. “Your restraint is testament to your fine ethics on friendship, most others would toss ‘friends’ aside when presented with such a temptation.” Who was the friend she was talking about? George was not enough in royal loop to know the answer already.

“Good or Bad is such a relative viewpoint.  Some prudes might label you the later perhaps, I am not unaware of your libertine repute, but the morality of principles exists far above fleshly pursuits, thus I would place you firmly in the former category.” Which was the last thing this man would usually speak about at first blush, but he was hoping to win the friendship of this young woman. So somehow he discovered himself speaking on an entirely un-superficial level!

Actually Caroline warmed to his remark and nodded, "I have oft reveled in being bold. No one remembers the shy ones or the ones who avoid the shining light. I like to live."

He also complimented her on her loyalty to her friend. Now that much was right on the mark, once she befriended someone she could not imagine abandoning or betraying those people. And Nicci was her dearest friend of all. Now Caroline believe Nicci was overreaching in her quest to gain the King's favor but that did not change her affection for the girl and to be anything other than supportive was unimaginable.

"I am not like most others then," she still refused to name who she was talking about though.

He went on then to give a little of his personal philosophy on good and bad. At least he seemed practical enough, not one of those stuffy traditionals or religious fanatics.

"Come, let us be seated in my parlor and you can tell just why you choose to visit me, of all people. If you would like a drink, I can offer you some fine French porte," she offered and led him into that room, pointing out a sofa they could share. But if he wanted to be more formal he could simply find another chair too.

"Speaking of friendship, I assume you know I am also a friend of Sophia, Lady Toledo," her smile was still there but there was a bit of a sharp glint in her eye.

See how he handles that?

• 4 weeks later...

“That is a fair comment.” Said George, who was very much the opposite, and thus likely to be completely forgotten in the history books.  He gave a smile and a shrug at that, “while some of us prefer quieter existences where we might privately marvel at those who, like you, dare.  Does not every theatre require an audience?”

“Thankyou,” grateful to be offered a chair he moved away from quizzing of who she’d alluded to, as it was an aside really.  His main agenda was quite another thing again. She offered him a place on the divan, and he as a good guest, took it.  “A glass of port would be pleasant I am sure.”

“It is as I mentioned, I am seeking female advice.  A pool of advice even.  It occurred to me as I passed your house this morning, that the council of one who is not biased by gentle friendship, might be the truest advice one might gain. That said, Lady Kendishall, I would not be averse at all to one day becoming friends.”

Yes and speaking of friendship, she mentioned Sophia. "Ah yes, she is a friend of mine also, and wife to my good friend Lord Toledo.  Ha, though there was a time I had hoped he would become my brother in law!  Still, his final choice of wife seems to prove very advantageous, although curiously a songstress too. Just like my own sister.”

George was unaware that Caroline had heard any stories about the day in the park when he and Lucas had rowed, and Sophia had tried to construct a reunion via a faux fainting spell.  He remembered the day of course, very well. And he continued to vehemently hate Lucas, whom had stolen away the love of his life, Samuel.

Edited by George Hardwick III

"Ahh, so I do have an audience then for my outrageous behavior, I usually manage to forget that point so caught up in the act as it were," Caroline smiled, moving to get him a glass of porte, it was not worth calling for her maid. Once seated and each with filled glass in hand the conversation renewed.

"Unbiased female advice? Fascinating. Though how can you be so sure I am unbiased," she pointed out then brought up Sophia. She had her reasons of course, soon to become apparent to the man.

He did not hesitate to answer that indeed Sophia was in his circle of friends as was the Spanish ambassador, Sophia's husband. Caroline frowned at the mention of the Spaniard. Ugh, less said about him the better yet she had to go say something.

"Well, I despise the Spaniards but I forgive Sophia for that one," she huffed then took a sip of the porte.

"Now, as far as you and I being friends in the future.....I do find you charming and a real gentleman. With me anyhow. But I should tell you I know all about the time you callously stepped over the unconscious body of our dear Sophia and left her to lay there.  And I find that disgusting behavior, even if you two did not even know each other at all. Who does that to another human being?" now Caroline got right into the heart of the matter for her.

"Or do you deny it? I am willing to hear you out," she added.

"Ahh..." George sighed, and he knew very well who Caroline had heard this story from.  Lucas had sworn he'd ruin George, while it was the last thing in the world the gentle souled Sophia would ever do.

"There is a great deal more to that story, since you seem to possess only a half of it I shall reveal the rest of it now." he took a sip of the port, then set it aside - eyes becoming distant as he remembered that day. It had been one of the worst days in a life that had been filled with failures. It was not a day he reflected upon willingly, but he would have his side of it told.

"I was out upon a walk and saw Sophia, she was in Lucas company.  While he and I were not close I approached, pleased to see Sophia and willing to smooth my relationship with him.  However when I approached he took afront, and when I said I was content to put our differences aside he refused. He demanded that I leave.  Believe you me that it might have been better if I had."  

"But alas my pride had me remain, I did not want Sophia to see me so easily chased off - like a dog with tail between legs.  Lucas saw that as a further insult, and begun his accusations.  It was quickly enough though that the true root of his dislike of me was revealed. I'd never quite understood it, until he told me that he had been having an affair with my very own sweetheart. I was reeling in shock. We were both shouting. Sophia swooned. And I realised that I'd lost everything."

"Yes I suppose I could have stayed, but do you see that Lucas, true to his word, had just made that impossible for me."

"Yet while he had revealed his conquest, worser still my lovers deceit, to me - I knew he was gentleman enough to care for the fallen lady.  Perhaps it was the wrong thing to do. In my grief I was unable to think." George's voice had grown tight during this retelling, his eyes were now glassy.  He did not want to think of those days, back when he'd been living in a happy dream with Samuel, utterly unaware of what was actually going on.

After all this time he still loved Samuel in agony, did a broken heart ever mend?  

With a sniff of breath he looked back at Caroline, "I shall hope that hearing my side of this story will soften your views upon me, though I am the last person to expect anyone to adjust to dramatic news with speed.  Meanwhile might I thank you for the drink, the honesty, and opportunity to make a reply - and hope that next time that we meet you may have a different opinion of me."

"Of course you shall want to confirm my story with Sophia first." Which was the natrual next step for the little lady.

I wonder how many others he told?

Edited by George Hardwick III

There! She laid it all out there for the man, Caroline wanted him to know what she knew and to realize that - regardless of how Sophia now felt about it all, maybe she had moved on, who knew - she thought it a despicable action on his part. But, she did wish to give the fellow a chance at least to explain himself for she had only heard one side of that story. That is if he didn't simply get up and leave. Which would also tell her something about the man.

Caroline then listened as he began to explain that time and that incident from his own point of view. She didn't just listen to the words but also the tone of voice, his eyes, anything that might tell her more. Was he telling the truth, at least as he knew it? Or lying? It might be hubris but Caroline believed herself to be a pretty good judge of whether someone was lying to her. She did not say a word til he finished but heard him out before replying.

"I see. I must credit you for at least admitting to it and not trying to pawn off some cheap lie about it. It isn't easy for any of us to admit to our flaws, our mistakes in life. That certainly includes me," she started, paused then decided not to go down that road any further.

"And no, I do not think I shall bother asking Sophia about this matter for I believe you are telling me the truth. And well.... it does indeed soften my opinion of you. So kindly indulge me to say one last thing and then I will simply drop the whole matter, leave it back in the past where it belongs."

"As Sophia is my friend so I consider Master Cole to be not only my musical mentor given that he gave me my chance to perform with the symphony  but also we were good friends. Not lovers, friends. But I will concede this. I know Lucas did have quite the temper. Like I just said we all have our flaws. Mine are huge, I readily admit it. So I have had my say, I just wanted you to know where I stood on that gentleman. I miss him even now."

"So there we have it then," she smiled and then raised her glass toward his, "A toast then to our possible friendship starting now?"

So they were laying all cards out on the table. That she did not intent to test his tale by cross interrogation with Sophia before forming her opinion was a surprise, but perhaps she could tell by his manner that his heart was too deeply involved for it to be a lie.  "Thank you." he uttered of that.  Pleased at least that she did not think him a man of deceit, rather she accepted that he had had no other choice but to leave Sophia to Lucas on that day.   Yes, Lucas jealousy was far stronger that George had ever imagined possible. 

The disclosure then continued though, with her admission of her continued position when it came to Lucas. 

"I do not believe it is possible to keep me as an associate while remaining under Lucas tutelage.  I well appreciate his mastery at his craft, his mentorship is doubtlessly worth a great deal to you." He spoke honestly still, while shaking his head slightly as it was to his own detriment. "If he finds out you have admitted me to your home, he shall be extremely distressed, I am sure.  If that episode with Sophia taught me anything, it is that he has absolutely no toleration for me." 

George frowned as he thought this all through. "I do not wish to jeopardise your friendship with him, most especially as your own success at court has been with his assistance." lifting his eyes he held her own gaze, ultimately it was her choice. 

She listened then as George expressed a view that it might not possible for Caroline to associate in any way with him and still keep on the good side of Lucas Cole. Then he added that he did not wish to put that relationship in jeopardy. It also had not escaped her notice, he had not raised his own glass to her attempt at a toast. Some might be offended by such a refusal, she chose not to be.

"Well, while you may be right about Lucas being upset, I would like to point out the man did depart from London quite some time ago and, that I know of anyway, he has made no effort to even write anyone as to where he might be and how is he? So, I am not worried about what a disappeared man thinks of who I chose to mingle with. And if he returns, then I shall deal with that issue when it comes up. Besides, I no longer play with the symphony - since he left. My performances are few and far between. Our mutual friend, Sophia, has been kind enough to include me in her performances however," Caroline explained.

"And once you get to know me better you will understand this about me, no one tells me what to do in my life," she smiled.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a negotiation of a sort, to which he'd offered a discreet withdrawal, she countered with a possible alternate. 

"Yes, yes we might.." George moved forwards in his seat a little, the gesture physically revealing of his favourable view on her reply, "...cross that bridge when we come to it.  He as a gentleman might surely look gently upon your occupations in his absence."

"At the very least we are open and honest about it, with no demons hidden in the closet.  I fully approve of this forthright manner I see within you Lady Kendishall, it is a good thing that you thought to speak of this topic, I dare say you had no idea how it might turn out.  It is an admirable bravery that you spoke it out any how." his omission of response to her toast had been due to the gravity of the topic, but now as it seemed to lighten with good prospects again he raise his glass in a belated return.  "To the foundations of friendship."

"... and speaking of performances. I wonder if you might be able to assist me with an arts event I am hosting with Lady Habeshams assistance.  An exhibition, and yet as yet without any music."

"If we truly were friends, yes he will. I have a right to associate with who I please even as he does," Caroline refused to worry about it. For all they knew the Welshman might never return to London and court. Meanwhile she had her life to lead.

"Admirable bravery huh?" Caroline smiled, "Well, I am a soldier's daughter, perhaps courage rubbed off on me then?"

Belatedly the man now raised his glass to complete her attempt at a toast, she raised hers once more then and there was the familiar clink, repeating his word, "To the foundations of friendship then."

She took a healthy gulp and downed it without batting an eye lash. By then he was asking for her help, no doubt the original reason he had shown up at her door in the first place. At least it sounded doable and something she would probably enjoy too.

"Within limits I may agree. If you are asking for  money to use for your 'event', I must decline. But if it involves music, such as me playing something for it, there I would be more than willing to assist you with my humble efforts."

• 2 weeks later...

It was a practical attitude that in the end, won the day (or more accurately ‘the lady’).  George gave a nod at her view, he might only hope that others would be as reasonable too. "Perhaps one day you shall tell me more about your father..." he must have been a sensible man he supposed to have raised a no nonsense daughter, in an age when so many lassies were as substantial as a bubble. 

"Rest assured financially we are covered." he gave a wry grin, as a man of great wealth he sometimes forgot it was an issue for most. "Yes yes, it is your musical expertise I would draw upon, although I would not diminish your talents to play ambience music surely.  But perhaps you might put on a performance for the art opening itself, and provide me with advice to some quartet or some such to play for the full duration of the exhibition itself...

"hmm... I wonder." an idea formed in his mind of some way to repay her a kindness in this, "that you might like your choice of one of the paintings upon exhibit as my thank you."

Which to his artistically focused mind, was a very fine gift.  Lowering his voice he then added, "You might even choose prior to official opening of the exhibiton." Which was a rare offer indeed! 

"My father?" Caroline raised one eyebrow, "He is a typical enough soldier. He knows his trade though he is now unemployed and getting long in the tooth to hope for future employment. But other than... soldiering .....  he is much less impressive. It was he who arranged my marriage. Quite the disaster, that."

She was relieved to hear his visit was not about money but instead his desire to make use of her musical talents. Now that was more like it. She nodded with a smile at his explanation.

"I will be quite willing to perform be it as a solo act or in concert with other musicians if you are assembling such. When it comes to music I can get along with almost anybody, least til the pieces are over," she assured him.

"A painting? Interesting. I am not well versed in art I will readily admit. Most of the paintings in this place were here when I arrived. Well, except for one dreadful one which I dashed into the fireplace. But certainly, I would think I would find something which tickles my fancy. I will accept your kind offer then, George."

Her eyes had a bit of a twinkle in them as she tacked on, "I can call you George? In private at least?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Military skills rarely include matchmaking.” George commented with a wry smile at her comment.  He could not help himself but further ask, “but is he actively seeking work? I would think, with the approach of war, his expertise might be very much in demand to train up all the young bucks?”

"Well I would allow you to assemble such a group,” He settled with a pleased smile, “and to choose what you might like to play – and I shall of course foot any bills.”

That was an unexpected bonus, for George had completely forgotten that music might augment his exhibitions success!  He was certain Lady Habersham would be delighted with the development.  “This is just grand.” He settled, well pleased when Caroline paused to think and discovered a fancy for choosing her own artwork.  “You must let me offer you a personal preview then, I can offer you insights of the various artists works, and besides, it’s always more fun to choose with company.”

Her question then made his dark brows rise. “I could not refuse such a prettily placed request, though must beg use of your own Christian name also.” It was rare for George to be on such familiar terms with an unmarried lady, hiss cheeks even pinked a little at the boldness of it! 

And he took another sip from his glass.

• 2 weeks later...

As to her father's future, Caroline gave a light shrug, "He probably would accept the right commission from...somebody. But you see he cannot be an officer in the royal English army for he is not an Englishman. He is French."

"And you are correct, with the war coming one would surmise his kind of skills would be valued more than in peace time. Mayhaps he could cross the Channel and join Louis' army?"

That might shock George some but she wasn't about to lie about it. Let him draw his own conclusions she decided.

George was obviously well pleased with her agreement to play for him though, inviting her to assemble a group to make the music and what to play and all the better, he would foot the bill for any expenses. Sadly she was not friends with any other musicians other than Sophia and her German friend was a singer not an instrument playing musician. She would have to think about it. If nothing else she could play solo.

"I will see what I can do. Keep me appraised of specific dates then," she responded.

Since her compensation was to be artwork, he tacked on an offer to allow her a preview of the paintings offered. No doubt so she wouldn't have to make up her mind at the last minute.

"Thank you, I would enjoy that," she nodded.

He was also favorable as to using Christian names from here on in.

"Excellent! George it is then! And I - of course - am Caroline."

How many refills of glass had George availed himself of now? He, who’d skipped breakfast, unless you counted the liquid lunch at Anne Elizabeth’s. Her coconut rum had been mighty nice too.

“French? Truly. Well stone the crows.” George chuckled in a state of relaxed inebriation, “I recognised your last name was French of course, but then a good number of English courters do have ancestral connections. I had no idea that yours was quite so immediate.”

George had been a bold proponent of French fashion until very recently. “Damn pity about the attacks, I really don’t know if they thought that all through.”  He referenced recent history; the infamous French attacks on the Crown at Windor '76.   Yes that had been a huge shame, George did not enjoy English fabrics near so much as those made in France.

Her suggestion then made hs eyes flare and he barked a laugh!  (while George ever ever barked a laugh!)  “My Lady, you are a great comedian!” for he could not believe she was serious! “But what I actually was to suggest, was that he might train English troops.  For instance as an Earl I shall be expected to provide numbers from my own estates for the war effort. It would be inhumane for me to send dairy farmers and their sons to fight without any training.  Yes, a chap like your father would be snapped up into my employment.  Though I dare say he has better offers.”

She was fetching girl with those sparkling blue eyes, and such a surprising girl, with unlikely/unexpected depths.    Where was that glass again? He reached for it and sipped at the droplet remaining – which was a subtle prompt for a further refill.

"The date is settled already, the 14th. Hmm, so you have not received your invitation already, I shall have to look into that!” he smiled, and then added, “Caroline.”

Something niggled in the back of his mind, for the moment at least he had quite forgotten the purpose of his visit.  

“You would look stunning in blue…” The fashionista was dressing her with his eyes.

"My mother was French too, they were exiles. They spent time in Poland and Denmark, where my father commanded a fortress during a siege when I was but a little girl. Exciting times," she shrugged. Her mother had not been French though, but Polish. The whole family tree was a web of confusion and outright lies. No matter, she was English now and had no intention of going to France even if her father might avail himself of such a journey. Oh she might miss him....a little. But she had a good life now in court and friends she valued and who valued her.

"I do not think my father would train Englishmen to better kill Frenchmen. He still has a fondness for his homeland even if he spent very little time there for much of his adult life," she dampened his enthusiasm there hopefully. There was no way she would even bring her father such an offer of employment.

As for the French aggression a part of her was not so sure it had been all that simple. The French must have had their reasons she felt but then politics was not something she followed. It was an avocation for men anyhow. And men were warlike.

"I confess I do not understand any of it. Seems to me fighting the Spanish would be a better use of our military power but then you see, I despise the Spanish," she smiled and refilled his glass yet again. And her's too of course.

"The 14th? Very well, I will make a point to remember that. I will need to tell those I recruit for the performance too," she nodded.

Suddenly he tossed out a compliment.

"I would? Why thank you. I do like that color. Mayhaps you shall pay for one such dress for me to wear that night then?" she pressed boldly.

Caroline was bold enough sober, when she became a bit soused she got positively brazen.

"That would be an understatement.” The Earl commended in wry.  Protecting a family amidst a siege would be rather frightening he imagined, especially when that family was female. “How old were you then?”

They had time on hands, and he was finding her story most interesting.

“Ack, yes war is confusing at the best of times.” George commented. Leaving the topic of her father, and indeed war, slide.  It made scant enough sense to him too, other than the Crown had somehow bowed under the pressure of the mobs – when it came to a call for Catholic blood or French, the latter had been it’s only real choice.  (Besides, he did not expect English forces to play more than a supportive role with the Dutch against the French.)

Her conversational opening of ‘despising the Spanish’ was a surprising one. “Now there is a sweeping statement.” He clicked his tongue, “I might pose a counter thought: that it is possible to hold ill sentiment towards a country generally, while having high regard for various individuals with in it. For instance Lord Toledo is a good friend of mine.”

Yes George was prepared to stand up for his friendships too.

The less challenging topic was of costume – at least it was a simple matter for George to identify the perfect and most fashionable shade she should wear.  And she agreed. More, she gave permission for him to dress her!  “Why I would be honoured, delighted even!” he beamed, “but perhaps I can have it ready in time for your performance at the Exhibition.”

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh, quite young. Eight, nine. At first I thought it quite an adventure but when food supplies began to dwindle and we were all going about quite famished...then I did what any unhappy child does....I cried and complained a lot. Looking back on it now, I recall it mostly as ...well, an adventure I would just as soon never repeat in my lifetime," Caroline smiled while she related all this. She purposely left out some other things, like the bombardment and the fires caused by such incendiary attacks. Oh and the deaths, there were many of those.

He responded to her slur on the Spanish, declaring his friendship with Sophia's ambassador husband, Lord Toledo. She merely smirked.

"You are entitled to any friendships of course but I have met the man. He did not impress me and, for the life of me, I still do not understand how Sophia ended up being married to ..........him? Well, an arranged marriage of course," she answered her own question.

"That was my marriage too and that worked out disastrously. Do not be at all surprised if Sophia and your friend do not last either," she said cryptically.

He was however happy to oblige her about the dress, good! One less worry for her. Though she liked to remain in fashion, in truth sartorial pursuits were never a priority with her. She had her music and her libertine life style instead.

"To be confined in such a way sounds hellish!" George considered, "though perhaps was character building, even if you were of such a young age."

Talk drifted to the Spanish, her dislike of them and his friendship with the new ambassador there of. "Well actually it is well know that she begged her guardian for the match, right in the middle of ball. Our dear Lady Sophia is no stranger to the odd scene." he chuckled of that.  She was so young, and so often just barrelled on in.  "Though I do agree it is an odd match. She is such a vivacious and bright creature, while he  somewhat broody and very reserved. Perhaps is is another case of opposites attract? Whatever your thoughts on him, they must be softened by the fact that he's the keeper of your friends heart." 

George supposed in a manner intent to ease Caroline’s opinion against the man rather than the country itself.

"They shall last - I would bet good money on it." George was after all a keen gambling man - all that was required was for the little lady to set the stakes.  

• 3 weeks later...

"Character building?" she laughed, "I believe we all called it war."

George told her about Sophia just prior to the marriage being agreed upon, interesting.

"Oh that sounds like Sophia alright," she nodded. She did not say it aloud but a part of her wondered if Sophia would not be satisfied until she had related one way or the other with every man she ever met. Alright that was an exaggeration.

She huffed then, "Soften my heart, hardly. Sophia keeps a monkey too and I do not like that annoying creature either. I once had to climb a tree for Sophia to rescue that thing. Damned monkey knew how to get up there that far, I was almost ready to leave it up there. But...I was trying to be the good friend."

George was very confident the marriage would last, just the opposite of her feeling on the matter. Was he hinting at a wager of some sort?

"Money? I have no doubt you have more money than I do if you can waste it on such bets. So no, I will not bet money. I might agree to wagering in a different sort of way though. We would merely need to agree on the details," she proposed.

Character building / war.  George had supposed for a child it would be quite formative, but she preferred it not and laughed away the notion that it had any impact upon who she had become.  "Very well." George smiled, he knew denial when he saw it. 

"Then you are a remarkably good friend." he then marvelled of Caroline’s strength of character, climbing a tree even for Sophia's pesky monkey. "While I agree with you, brining such an unruly pet as that to court defies explanation. It makes me think of... what is that term used, ahh... the embodiment of repressed urges.  I would wonder if our mutual friend Lady Sophia, enjoys the monkey for the reckless and mischief it 'does', that she 'does not'."

Which was likely getting too deeply into philosophy or psychology than the lady enjoyed, but for George's part he enjoyed such theoretical speculation.

"Very well, a wager on other terms then." he was happy enough to comply.  "What sort of thing would you prefer to bid with.  A dare might suffice, but I am not really a dare sort. What else have we got?" 

"Thank you, I do try to be a good one to those friends I have. I despise back-stabbers," Caroline was pleased with his compliment.

When it came to this possible bet regarding Sophia and her marriage, both of them were willing enough to engage in it but it seemed the sticking point was just what sort of bet it would be. Caroline was unwilling to throw any money into it, she was always prudent with her finances only splurging when she felt it necessary like last season's libertine party at her place. He on the other hand was not amenable to a dare of some kind. Pity.

"Oh, there goes my suggestion then," she gave a shrug.

"Mayhaps we best just drop the whole idea. Besides the whole thing might take a while to end up one way or the other. I mean failure of the marriage would be obvious enough but how does one decide on it's success? After a year, three years, five years, a decade? This is exactly why wagering is done with horse races and card games, the outcomes are much faster and more clear cut," was her assessment.

"Hmm." George's tone was disappointed, "well lets not rule out a dare then..." he hated to let a wager pass him by, besides, he most likely would win. What could possibly end the Toldeo marriage!  "and come to that, lets adjust our bet to something with a shorter time span, shall we see them dance at the next ball perhaps? That surely indicates if they are still happy together or not."   

So now he was changing his mind? A dare was now fair game for their planned wager?  Very well then.

"I'm listening," Caroline nodded.

He then came up with something far short of whether the marriage succeeded or failed, just simply one act on one night. Caroline thought on it a moment.

"I don't know. In a public affair husband and wife are expected to at least dance once or twice, it means nothing about the quality of their relationship simply their attention to duty. Especially with him being an Ambassador at court. I think I have little chance of winning that one bet."

"How about this? I wager Sophia will dance with more men who are NOT her husband that night than the times she dances with him," she smiled.

Men couldn't leave Sophia be and Sophia couldn't resist either, in fact she often initiated. It was all very libertine and Caroline did not mean it as criticism of her friend's life style. Besides ..... she was married to a Spaniard.