JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Concerted Practice | 3rd April. ealy evening

#43 The Townhouse of Lady Kendishall

Located on the south corner of Picadilly, this large house seems almost out of place with the smaller town homes further up the block. Likely it is because it predates the development of Pall Mall and St. James Square.

Though the house shows signs of age from its Tudor origins, the walled grounds of two acres are well maintained, with a nice garden in back. There is an entry gate to the front, and a gate in the rear to the stables. A military man might appreciate the security of the perimeter.

The house has 3 levels plus an attic. The ground level hosts a small ballroom, parlor,dining room and study. The second floor hosts a masters BR, Missus BR, and a guest room. The third floor has three guest rooms, with the servants sleeping in the attic.

Sophia had not paid much attention to the bumps in the road before she became pregnant. Now, though, she felt every one of them, and when her carriage stopped in front of Lady Kendishall's house, her stomach was churning. The sickness often hit her in the evenings after dinner, but she hoped that the enjoyment of singing would drive it away before it became too troublesome.

The driver opened the door and helped her out and the young Countess took a deep breath of the fresh evening air. The sun had not yet set, but it dipped low in the sky. By the time she and Caroline finished practicing, it would be fully dark. Already the breeze was becoming cooler, and she pulled her fur-lined cloak more tightly around her as she stepped up to the door and knocked.

It did not take long before the door opened and Caroline's maid politely greeted the newcomer then ushered her within.

"Lady Toledo, my mistress is in the study. Let me take your cloak and then lead you there," she offered helpfully.

Upon her entrance into the study, Caroline was standing there all smiles to greet her, "Ahh, right on time. Can I offer you something to wet your throat before we commence?"

“Yes, of course.” Sophia removed her cloak and handed it to the maid and then followed her to the study, glancing around her at the décor. Caroline was waiting for her and she returned her smile warmly. “Just water please. I'm feeling a bit queasy this evening.” She set the bag of sheet music she had brought on a nearby table.

“Did you see the notices that I placed in the palace? I'm calling the concert 'Rhapsody In Rose' and it will have a rose theme, which seems quite appropriate for the season. I will either be holding a rose or wearing one during each aria I sing. You can choose whether or not to do the same. I think a nice artistic touch would be to have one lying on the floor by your cello while you play.”

Sophia turned down her offer of something to drink other than water? She admitted to feeling queasy? Was the lady not well? Before Caroline could ask, Sophia got right down to business. So much for small talk.

"Umm, no, I did not but then I was not wandering the place looking for reading material," Caroline quipped.

Her roses theme seemed like a solid idea though.

"Yes, roses. Who doesn't like roses, splendid concept," Caroline complimented her.

"I think I should wear one too, rather than toss a perfectly fine flower onto the floor though," she gave her opinion.

"Sophia...are you alright?" she had to ask, there seemed something a bit amiss about her for some reason. Call it woman's intuition.

Sophia laughed. “Well, I hope some people were, or nobody will show up. I'm afraid I put up so many of them that everyone will think I'm desperate.” She tilted her head to the side. “I hope they weren't taken down. I may put up new ones tomorrow now that you are going to be part of it too.”

She was glad that Caroline liked her theme. “There will roses in vases too, but not so many that the fragrance becomes cloying.” The petite Countess was more sensitive to smells now, probably due to her pregnancy. It seemed to her as if all of her senses were heightened.

Caroline asked if she was okay. Do I look paler than usual? she wondered. “I'm fine.” She grinned happily. “I am with child.”

Well, to Caroline Sophia indeed did sound desperate about all this singing. She wasn't quite sure why she would be either. Sophia's voice was superb and her performance at the Welshman's opera was nothing short of a complete success. Might have also had to do with her costume though or lack of.

"I would never think the smell of roses cloying but to each their own," she shrugged.

At first Sophia denied anything at all was wrong or different about her but just like that the other girl declared she was with child! Now that was quite the announcement alright!

"Really? Why congratulations, my dear. I'm so happy for you," Caroline moved to give her a sincere hug.

***Pity the child will be half-Spaniard.*** Caroline thought to herself though genuinely delighted for Sophia. Well, unless she did not want the child? Some women did not afterall, giving birth was both painful and also a literal risk of one's life.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

Sophia had been spreading the news of her concert through word of mouth as well. Maybe when she met Master Staggins tomorrow, he would know how best to advertise in the time they had left. She was hoping that there would be a good turnout. Many courtiers might find an evening of music relaxing after the session of the House of Lords that afternoon.

“Thank you,” she told Caroline and hugged her back. “I had been hoping to become pregnant ever since I married, and now I am elated that God has decided to bless my lord husband and I with a child. Unfortunately, I am ill quite often, usually in the mornings and evenings, but it usually passes quickly. It should not interfere with our rehearsal or the concert itself.

“One reason I wanted to give a concert this season is because I'm afraid I wont be able to sing as my pregnancy progresses. I have no idea how it will affect my voice so I wish to sing while I can.”

Well outwardly at least Sophia seemed very pleased with her 'condition' and Caroline imagined her Spanish husband would be too, especially if it ended up being a male heir. Spitefully Caroline hoped for a girl. Ah yes, there was that issue of sickness.

"My mother used to tell me she was sick like that too when she was carrying me. She claimed she was even too nauseated on occasion to drink," Caroline smiled.

"Well, we can get right on with it then but please.....if you begin to feel badly, admit so and we can bring the rehearsal to a close. I would not wish you to suffer for your art," she advised Sophia.

Sophia then worried aloud her advancing pregnancy might even affect that fine singing voice of hers. Caroline hadn't thought about something like that and what did she know about such things.

"Oh yes, that would be most unfortunate. But if you do have issues with that, just cancel the performance rather than sound bad. We would not want to ruin your wonderful reputation so deservedly acquired at the opera that time," she declared.

“Sometimes everything I eat and drink comes back up,” Sophia sighed. “Having grown up without a mother, I really don't know what to expect, but I've heard that the nausea goes away after the first few months. It's already not as frequent as it once was. I feel much better now that I'm on solid ground again. I think the carriage ride was responsible this time. The bumps in the road should really be fixed.”

The queasiness was fading away quickly, either for the aforementioned reason or because she was excited about singing again. “I'll let you know, but I should be okay. The concert is only two days away, so I don't think that my voice will  be affected that quickly.” The young Countess grinned. “And thanks for the compliment. I'm sure that everyone will enjoy hearing you play your cello without the distraction of a full orchestra.

“Would you like to perform together or separately or a bit of both?”

As to Sophia's morning sickness, Caroline remembered what her own mother had told her about such things so decided to share with the German girl, "How strongly it hits you and how long such a thing lasts is different for every woman or so said my mother. I was not married long enough to become pregnant. And then he was gone."

Left out of that observation was the fact her deceased husband had not even the slightest desire to touch her, so enamored as he had been with his boy lovers. That sort of thing was not something she wished to share with most folk.

"As for those bumps on the road, our government is too fixated on coming up with money for going to war with France to have any funds to spend on improving the roads," she shrugged, this war was something she did not approve of at all. Though she had barely even set foot in France and spent most of her life in England, she still was French afterall, her parents French. Still she was happy enough now with her life and had no desire to leave England. She knew no one in France.

Then it was back to the planned performance. Sophia wanted her opinion on how it should go.

"Well, it would depend on the song or songs of course. I am not sure what you want to sing and if a cello then would be a proper accompaniment? I would think though we could do both - each of us do something by ourselves and then also we perform as a duet. Yes?"

“I hope it does not last very long for me.” Sophia didn't say she was sorry that Lady Kendishall's husband was dead, because she had told her that their marriage had not been happy on the day that they had first met, when Caroline had rescued Aurora from a tree last summer.

The Countess nodded at her friend's explanation as to why the government didn't fix the roads. “War is a waste of both lives and money. I think that disputes should be settled by peaceful negotiations instead. If women were in charge, they probably would be. Men think they have to prove themselves with their might and not with their minds.”

Caroline's opinion on the concert echoed her own. “Yes, I think that would be the best way to handle it. We can alternate or we can each randomly perform a few in a row so that our audience will wonder who is going to go next. Master Staggins will be accompanying me on the piano for some of my arias and I want to sing at least one a capella.”

"You may well be right about that but I not certain. My father told me there were some quite warlike queens. And look at England, Elisabeth chopped the head off of Mary of Scotland. Something more expected of a man I would venture," Caroline commented.

"I do think women are quite capable of violence, given the right circumstances," Caroline was referring to herself in that statement but it was of course not clear to Sophia given the German girl did not have an inkling Caroline had killed her husband. Nor would she ever reveal such a bombshell to Sophia.

"I only need to do one, perhaps two solo pieces. I would prefer accompanying you...oh this Master Staggins too. You think he will approve of me being in on this performance?"

She really did not know the man.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

“Very true,” she conceded. “But Elizabeth rid herself of Mary because she was a threat to her throne. Imprisoning her didn't work the way she planned. She still had supporters while she remained alive. And though there were a few wars during her reign, she was mainly defending her country rather than trying to claim new territory. I imagine that many foreign Kings thought she would be weak simple because she was a woman. She showed them that she was not."  At least that was the way she understood the story.

“Oh yes, women can definitely be violent, but I think it's more personal with us.” Her hand briefly brushed against her belly. “I will kill anyone who dares to harm my child without even blinking an eye.”

Back to the upcoming concert: “Only two? I think our audience will want to hear more of your wonderful talents. But I'm most happy to have you accompany me. When I made plans to practice with Master Staggins, I had not thought of inviting you to perform with me yet, but I don't think he will mind. I'll mention you tomorrow. Maybe the two of you can play a few instrumental pieces together. He may want to arrange a practice with you as well.”

"Well, Mary of Scotland may well have had a lower opinion of Elisabeth given she was the victim of the execution," Caroline added. She almost threw in something along the lines of one good thing about Elisabeth was she fought the Spanish. But...given Sophia's husband, that might have been rather rude.

It was back then to discussing the planned performance.

"I suppose I could play more than two if you think so. I had rather thought I was more an accompanist for you as you were to the main attraction? And do not take that as jealousy, not in the least. You deserve center stage as it were, I am content to support you when necessary. I do not mind."

"This Stoggins...what sort of man is he?" Caroline really was curious.

Sophia dropped the subject of Queen Elisabeth and Mary of Scotland. She, too, was aware of the Spanish connection and didn't want to appear disloyal to either her adopted country or the country she had married into. It also wouldn't be wise to anger Caroline. They had been at odds last season because Sophia had not attended Caroline's party. Though she had claimed that the ankle she had injured earlier hurt too much for her to enjoy herself, the real reason she had not gone was that her husband had forbidden it. From what she had heard of the event, it had been a bit too wild for her tastes, so perhaps Esteban's decision had been a good one. Not that she would ever admit it.

“It's up to you how many solos you want to play. Sopranos and cellos sound beautiful together and I think our audience will enjoy our collaborations.” She blushed at Caroline's compliment. “You play as well as I sing. You deserve to shine as well. I don't want it to be all about me. Together, we'll provide variety and our performance will be remembered with fondness.” The petite Countess grinned. “Who knows? We may be asked to perform together again.”

Sophia shrugged when Caroline asked about Master Staggins. “I don't know him well and have only spoken with him a few times. In fact, remember at the beginning of last season when we ran into each other in the King's presence chamber? You met him then. He was trying to find people to perform in a Christmas show and we both agreed to participate. But it was canceled for some reason before we ever had a chance to rehearse. There were so many people there that day, I can't even remember them all."*

“When I saw him a few days ago, he was lamenting that all the instruments in the Music Room needed repairing. I offered to pay for the repairs and it was then that he offered to accompany me on the piano.” Sophia hoped that Esteban wouldn't blow up when he got the bill. She had no idea how much it would be. “He offered me some good advice too. He's very nice.”

*That thread is here:  https://q282854.tryinvision.com/topic/15182-friday-24-privy-chamber-late-morning-open-xmas-1677/

"Well, to be honest, I would be content with two solos. How long are we expected to perform? Do you know?" Caroline shrugged.

"I too think we sound good together. And besides with a voice like yours, the audience pays more attention to that than the accompanying instrument. Which is only natural, I am not jealous, it is the way of things. So please do not worry about my feelings on all this. I am fine," she assured Sophia.

As to whether they would asked to perform more in the future, that did sound interesting but for now that was the cart before the horse. Sophia then reminded her that indeed she had met this fellow.

"Ahhh, yes, now I recall! I forgot him because he was frankly most forgettable in looks and in charm," Caroline grinned.

As for her offer to pay for the instrument repairs, Caroline blinked, "That might be expensive. Do you have any idea of the cost?"

• 2 weeks later...

“We should probably consult Master Staggins about the preferred length. He knows more about the courtiers' preferences and attention spans when it comes to entertainment. Make sure you have enough music prepared for about two hours. They may call for an encore."

Caroline complimented her voice again and Sophia blushed. “I think you will be appreciated as much as I am. Instrumental music is more calming than opera and after the seriousness of the House of Lords, your cello will provide a soothing distraction.”

Her head tilted to the side. “Sometimes the most talented ones are. He must be brilliant to have been chosen as the Master of the King's Music. There are most likely hundreds of composers in London who would kill for that honor.”

As to the instrument repairs: “I have no idea. But my lord husband will pay it.” Sophia grinned mischievously. “I am carrying his child. He will deny me nothing.”

"Of course, let him make those decisions, it is after all his job," Caroline shrugged, "And good point about the encore. Surely we will do well enough to deserve one."

Caroline did not lack in confidence when it came to her musical talent. But then too she never sat on her laurels but kept up her practice diligently even after all these years. It was however a labor of love.

"House of Lords indeed..." she huffed but said nothing further to explain that mutter.

It was apparent Sophia had a much higher opinion of this Staggins than her, as she gushed about his brilliance and how many composers would kill for his position.

"Yes, more's the pity I suppose," she smiled, "Though I know of better composer who did not get that job so I do not believe Staggins secured the position strictly on ability. Politics I would imagine."

She still missed the Welsh composer who had given her a chance to play on the symphony for the opera last year. She had genuinely liked the man.

Sophia wasn't worried about cost when it came to fixing those instruments, confident her husband would foot the bill and her reason was rather compelling.

"That's good. Have you thought about it at all, my dear? I mean what the child will look like? A Spaniard or a German?"

Sophia hoped that Caroline was right and they were asked for an encore. She would love to sing long into the night.

It was no surprise that her friend was not looking forward to the session of Lords. England was most likely going to war with her homeland. The young Countess would probably feel the same way if they were planning to attack Venice or Germany. Or even Spain. As Spain was also at war with the French, she hoped that England and Spain would become allies now.

Caroline knew of a better composer who had hoped to become the Master of the King's Music? “You're not talking about Master Cole, are you?” she asked. “He is much more skilled than Master Cole and will go down in history as the composer of the first ever opera in the English language.” To her knowledge, no other English operas had yet been written. “Was he competing with Master Staggins for the position? The King is well aware of his brilliance. I can't imagine that he would be turned down.”

Was that why Lucas had left court? Being passed over would certainly hurt his strong sense or pride.

“I think my baby will look more Spanish than German, but his hair and skin might not be as dark as my lord husband's.”  With any luck, the child's features would resemble Juan's even if his complexion turned out to be as pale as her own.

“There's something else I would like to ask you about before we start practicing,” Sophia ventured. “Lady Frances Cavendish and I are planning to start a musical society for ladies. Would you be interested in something like that?”

"Yes Master Cole. And I suppose we shall simply have to disagree then on who is more talented, I for one remain convinced Cole is the far superior composer," Caroline could be fiercely loyal to friends and former mentors once that bond was forged.

"As to why he was turned down, as I said, I imagine it was politics. Cole is a Welshman and perhaps now in court they are not the current fashion. Or some court feud neither of us know about  where Cole ended up backing the wrong horse....as they say," she gave a shrug. They would probably never know what really happened with Cole. She only hoped wherever the man now was, he was at peace and daresay...even happy.

Sophia seemed to think the babe would look more Spanish than German. Caroline almost said 'my condolences' but had the self control to simply nod and smile.

Sophia also had a question for her.

"A music society? I guess.......umm, what will this cost me though? I do not have the ample funding your husband provides you, being merely a young widow," she answered.

Poor Master Cole! He had been through so much! No wonder he had seemed so depressed last summer. Sophia knew the main reason for his discontent, which she could never tell another soul, but being passed over for a musical promotion must have taken its toll on him as well. No wonder he had distanced himself from court life. Maybe he had gone back to Wales. The petite Countess missed him dreadfully.

“I agree that Master Cole is much more talented than Master Staggins. In fact, Master Cole will always hold a special place in my heart.” There was no harm in telling Caroline about their relationship. It had been over for a long time now. “He was my first love.” Sophia smiled softly. “He said he loved me too, but our relationship lasted barely a month and was destroyed by rumors circulating about both of us. I think we believed that we were in love with each other at the time, but it was actually only infatuation. I still care for him deeply, but only as a very dear friend.”

The conversation turned to the musical society. “It will cost you absolutely nothing. It will just be a group of ladies who get together and share their love of music. We're thinking of opening it to other artists as well, such as painters and poets. We can hold concerts and showings, as well as give demonstrations of our art, not just among ourselves, but for the benefit of everyone at court. Think of our performance tonight as its beginning.”

Caroline was a bit confused now, only a moment earlier Sophia had said Staggins was superior to Cole. No matter, it was no longer important. One was holding the royal post, the other had vanished into seeming obscurity. It was sad. However Sophia made it all more interesting revealing she and Cole had once been lovers? Oh indeed?

"Ahhh. Well, he never mentioned such a thing to me. So he was discreet, our Cole," she smiled.

"When he left we were on good terms so I too regard him as a dear friend...and mentor of a sort. But we never had anything romantic between us."

Sophia then brought up this idea of music society and extended her hopes that Caroline would join.

"Oh so it is all free of cost? Excellent, then count me in," that made for easy agreement.

“Or embarrassed,” Sophia surmised with a soft sigh. “I believe that we mistook our love for music as love for each other. Now that I think back on it, it does seem as if he loved my voice better than he ever loved me.” A shrug of her silk-clad shoulders. “I'm glad it happened, even if it didn't last.”

When Lucas had explained the animosity between Lord Chichester and himself, he had told her that he was in love with another woman whom he Earl had stolen away from him. Now she knew that the composer's new love had not been Caroline, not that she had ever suspected her. As she had not seen Lord Chichester shower any woman with affection, perhaps Lucas had stolen the lady back and run away with her. If so, she hoped that the two of them were happy together.

The young Countess clapped her hands. “Good! I'm hoping to recruit more interested ladies at our concert. I'll let you know when the first meeting will take place.”

"At least you have recovered from your youthful heartbreak. I have a feeling he also has moved on by now," at heart Caroline was a cynic, though she honestly did sympathize with Sophia on that event in her past. Like Sophia would ever have any trouble attracting a steady stream of men. Even if she had the social anchor that was her Spanish husband tied to her.

Speaking of moving on, Sophia now had a new inspiration apparently, a musical society. Caroline saw nothing wrong with it as long as it did not cost her anything financially. Unlike Sophia, she did not have a husband who pay for her expenses and even more, extravagances. Still, Caroline hoped Sophia would suck that Spaniard dry.

"Very well, speaking of the concert. I believe we met so we could practice? Perhaps we should get on with it then?" she suggested with a grin.

“He did,” Sophia confirmed. “He told me about her, but I think she was more interested in another gentleman. He was very sad about it. Maybe that was why he left court. I hope he has found happiness now, wherever he may be.” There was so much more to the story than that but she had promised Lucas she would never speak of what he had confided in her on that fateful day when he and Lord Chichester had quarreled in the gazebo and she had fainted because it had all become too much for her.

“Yes, we should.” Sophia reached for her bag and dumped the sheet music out on a table. “These are the arias I plan to sing that need accompaniment.” She would, of course, sing a few a capella as she always did.

• Hope locked this topic