JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Lady Ranelagh | arrives 4th of April

Sunday the third of April, in the year of our Lord Sixteen Seventy Eight

Dear Lady Ranelagh,

Our mutual friends invoke my letter to you, boldly done yet not fully unexpected I hope. For it is my pleasure to offer you a tour of the apothecary 'The Golden Pestle'. My journeyman Mr Fallon shall be in attendance too of course, though I intend to have him be scarce so that we might turn our hands to a task or two in the kitchen. Have you ever made an emulsification to create a soothing balm, or perhaps you would find some other process interesting to turn our efforts to?  That you have some notable ability already is all the prerequisite required. (I certainly would not suggest such things to my uneducated lady friends!) 

Your Lord Son is most welcome to attend also, though when I saw him last he seemed to house some (amused?) terror! at the combination of women and potions.  Such a darling man! So perhaps we in kindness should spare him any stress.  Though then again, did he prostest too loudly, that indeed the opposite was the case. You yourself know best if he is instead academically curious, invite him or not at your own pleasure.  

I place my time at your disposal, if you should like to set a date and a time.

God Bless you and Yours

Mlle Nicolette Vauquelin

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

• 5 months later...

A reply came quite late on Tuesday, so it might be that Nicci would not receive it until Wednesday morning.

After salutations, the missive said:

I should be pleased to view such a venture by a lady. My dear Ranelagh did mention his shock and fright at such mutual interests. Lady Worcester and I should very much like to tease him if you would like to provide the venue. I believe we might there corner him to sponsor an evening in Chelsea in the gardens. I am free Thursday afternoon before good friday commences. If that is not enough notice, perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday next?

• 3 months later...

Nicolette came to believe that Lady Ranelagh gained as much pleasure as she did of Richards Shock (and Fright too!)  Reading those words again, Nicci wore the biggest smile. Why was he so shocked, unless he thinks of me?  Though Nicci knew better than to imagine he thought of her quite as often as she thought of him (nor with as purposeful designs).  

Perhaps he would have another surprise (shock and fright too) when one day they became husband and wife, or at the very least he would pretend to be.  It would be all a great laugh and fun. 

Dear Lady Ranelagh,

Thursday afternoon would be grand, and I shall be certain to have dangerous looking tools out for our inspection if not use.  La, I might reserve a position at the bellows for Ranelagh.  He is qualified at hot air I would tease, though it might be the first time for him to flush red the coals of apothecary furnace!  I shall alert Lady Worchester, and might we converge around about two. How exciting, I cannot wait! 

N.V. 

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin