JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

To the Duchess of Buccleuch | arrives afternoon April 1st

Written on a piece of cream-colored paper, scented softly with rose and vanilla, and penned in Sophia's flowery handwriting:

Your Grace,

Now that we are both back in London, we should arrange a trip to Bedlam as we discussed last season. I shall portray your maid again. I still have the uniform you loaned me. I'm sure they will let us look around if you say you are thinking of funding them. I will also attend any board meetings with you and lead them to believed I will donate to them as well.  Shall we set a date or should we meet beforehand to make plans?

Please let me know what you would like to do. Those poor patients need our help. I am enclosing a gift that I bought for you in Spain that will help disguise you when you go adventuring.

Sincerely,

Sophia

In the accompanying box was a pretty silk hat with a lace veil attached that would partially cover one's face. She sent it with a servant to be delivered right away.

Anne, like so many others, spent a great deal of the day in the City and at Whitehall, out and about 'catching up' with friends.   When she returned to Chelsea that late afternoon, she was delighted to discover letter and a gift from the one lady she's most hoped to bump into during the day! 

Her reply was penned immediately, as she partook of a reviving cup of tea with selection of sweetmeats. It was one benefit of living alone, she supposed, nobody was there to scold her that she would ruin her appetite for dinner!  Still, she admitted, she was missing her good for nothing husband more and more lately.  Well, he was good for somethings. 

---arrives morning of the 2nd---

Dearest Lady Toledo

I love the hat, it completely beautiful and intriguing! Quite the most perfect gift I have received in simply ages. How it comforts me to have such a friend as you. 

And yes, to our business at hand! The next meeting, I have been informed, is again upon a Wednesday (pray, I shall forever dread that day of the week I am certain!)  I was compelled, but they early notice from the Governor begging my rsvp, to advise that I shall be in attendance and bring with me a lady companion.  Alas, I think I accidentally ruined our previous plans!  But I did have a new plan to make everything all better.  If you attend in disguise as a servant, as we plotted, and then your ladies maid can go disguised as yourself! There, is that not a cleverness fit for the nations great plotters! Why even prince Rupert would be impressed me thinks. Though he is of course far too caught up with navy thing, to give much attention to the troubles in our very own London.

But yes, let us meet to further our plans.  Why really, we might have time to remedy some other injustice also, for there ae so many days yet until dreadful Wednesday.  Shall we sit together at Chapel, and after, with The Lords blessing upon our sincere yet bold hearts, we might take a walk and lay new schemes together!

In adventure you and I! 

A.S 

Anne in fact did have an ‘injustice’ she wished remedied, though one would be foolish to call it an injustice to anyone at the moment. It was a thing, a rather large thing, and a thing that might possibly rectify quite everything in her own life.   Could Sophia actually help her pull it off, who knew. But a lady could only try (and as far as Anne knew nobody else was even caring!)

• 1 month later...

~arrives early evening on the 2nd

Your Grace,

I am delighted that you like the hat. I thought of you as soon as I saw it. I bought a similar one for myself. They will be quite handy in our shared adventures. This time I promise that nothing will keep me away from attending the board meeting with you.

Unfortunately, my maid will not be able to disguise herself as me because it is known that the Spanish Ambassador has a very young wife and my maid is past forty and nearly old enough to be his mother. I believe I will be able to pose as your maid during our tour by wearing a dark wig and makeup and speaking with an Italian accent.

But we can discuss that more on Sunday as well as other injustices that we can set right. I shall see you at Chapel.

Until then,

Sophia