JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A walk along the Watergate | 3rd Early Morning- Xmas 1677

Nicolette Vauquelin

Water Gate

• From the Thames the busy traffic directed at the palace entered through the Water Gate, heavy but beautifully decorated iron bars that in time of panic could close off the entrance, guarded heavily by the Life Guard who checked everybody who came in and out. Of course the private yacht of the royals did not make use of this public gateway using instead the Privy Stairs to the Thames.

• 3 weeks later...

A woman encased in white furs (complete with hat) stood near the guard rail looking out over the morning mist on the Thames.    It was Mlle Vauquelin, savouring a peaceful moment, an intermissionon within these quickening last days of the winter season.  

It looked quite beautiful, Nicolette was utterly enamoured with England.  

Then hearing footsteps aproach, she turned smiling, expecting her friends...  

Edited by Nicolette Vauquelin

Anne-Elisabeth had to ask a servant for directions to the Water Gate, as she had never been there before. As she neared it, she saw Nicolette, dressed in white furs, standing close tot the guard rail. Now I know that I'm in the right place, she thought.

The Countess too, was wearing fur, as dark as her friend's was light. She wore a fur hat as well, decorated with feathers of purple, green, and turquoise fastened by a golden pin with an emerald in the center, surrounded by tiny diamonds. Her jewelry, hidden underneath her coat except for her earrings, matched the pin. Even with two pairs of stockings and a heavy woolen chemise beneath her jewel-toned, multicolored crushed velvet gown, she was still shivering. Would she ever become accustomed to London winters?

Her friend turned as she approached and Anne-Elisabeth smiled warmly, extending her hands, encased in purple leather gloves, toward her. “Nicci, how lovely you look today! Your gentleman friend will not be able to resist you.”

It was Alissa, her smile broadened and hands extended to greet as she neared; exquisitely French air kisses at each cheek. "Oh look at you, your steps so steady." Nicolette praised her icey-pavements-challenged friend.   It was clear that Anne-Elizabeth was swiftly mounting her obstacles.  

"Oh this old thing." she winked and gave a pleased laugh of her friends compliment, "It is divine, is it not!  A gift from another admirer, a dear fellow who suits the spring more than winter." She'd not seen Malvern since the warmer months, perhaps like one of his treasured plants, he would blossom into full presence again next spring?  "Yet beneath this finery is hand-me downs."

Which was true, it was one of Lisa's redundant dresses that had been altered to fit the much shorter Nicolette. Nicci did not mention that she was shortly to visit the Duke Buckingham, who would personally attend to the matter of less than new costume.  Later Nicci would don her glittering earrings, but for now she was sans jewellery of any sort.  There was a reason for that, for Nicci had hopes that another admirer might address that! 

"And you, dazzle yet again." Nicci noted how extremely pretty the glittering gems looked surrounded by Annes raven black furs.  The show of finery told Nicci  'She must have an independent wealth."  Widows quite often enjoyed a freedom of purse that ladies who lived under guardian (of family or husband) did not - there was a hint of envy in Nicci's eyes at that moment.  Anne Elizabeth could indulge freely in life’s finer things at will!

"Oh but yes, Sir Burgoyne may bring gifts I hope, not just for myself, but for you also."  Afterall Nicci had told him that her friend was attending, it would be rude for him to bring a gift for only one! "I'd not told you how Mrs Hughes practically told him he must give a present if he was to hope for any indulgence of the other." Nicci laughed.  Peg had been the unexpected windfall of the Ball, Nicci was very keen to cement the friendship before seasons end.  

"Shall we kiss him exceptionally if he brings us lovely gifts?" 

From not far off came the figure of John Burgoyne, wrapped in a brown wool coat, muffler and tricorn hat.  His hair was tied back with a red ribbon.

"Good day ladies," he declared cheerfully as he approached, taking in both ladies but his eyes clearly lingered on Nicolette.  "Mademoiselle, how good it is to see you again," he gushed.  He turned to Anne Elizabeth.  "I am not sure I have had the pleasure yet.  I am John Burgoyne."

If they would offer their hands and fold back the edge of their gloves, he would certainly offer a kiss of their wrists in greeting.

Anne-Elisabeth returned Nicolette's air kisses. “I've been following your advice and trying not to think too much about it. I did slip several times, but I managed to remain on my feet.”

She thought that her friend was just being modest when she said she was wearing hand-me-downs. Her fur was quite gorgeous, though. “This fur was a gift from an admirer as well. In fact, last winter, I was presented with several fur coats. The gallant gentlemen I met in the country wanted to make certain the island girl kept warm.” In truth, they had wanted the island girl  warm their beds, and the one who had given her the grandest fur. along with a set of costly jewelry, had actually succeeded.

Except for her gowns, most of what she wore had been given to her, either in Barbados or England. “Why thank you, my dear,” she said to Nicolette's compliment. “But I think you are more dazzling than I.”

So the gentlemen who was going to join them would probably bring gifts as well? That was find with her.  No lady could have too many pretty things. She had no idea who Mrs. Hughes was, but she seemed like the kind of person the Countess would get along well with. “She sounds like a wise woman.”

Anne-Elisabeth grinned at Nicci's suggestion. “Absolutely. If he brings us trinkets, we shall kiss him on his cheek. But if he gives us gifts that are beautiful and thoughtful, we shall kiss him on his lips.”  Would her friend be bold enough for that kind of mischief, she wondered?

A tall blonde gentleman approached them and she didn't miss the way his gaze devoured Nicolette as he greeted her. He is utterly enchanted with her, she thought. He was merely polite to the Countess, which she expected since he didn't know her. “Delighted,” she said, lifting up her glove to be kissed. “I'm Anne-Elisabeth Devereux, the Countess of Cambray.”

“Well done!” Nicci praised, while then offering her hand, thinking to offer warm and steadying support.  

When revealed that Anne Elizabeth’s furs had been gifts as well, and in multiples, Nicci maintained her smile. Inwardly she was disappointed. So it’s a cliché gift these days.  The gifts from Maldon and Dundarg had seemed so special previously.   “How lovely of them! And considerate.” Perhaps some shop had been overstocked, and offered furts at discounts to men of a wooing age?   Ah well, that did not mean she loved wearing her furs any less.

“Oh yes.” She brightened upon topic of Peg Hughes, “I am hoping to become the best of friends.”  Nicci was no slouch, she knew it was worth an effort to befriend the right people, and Peg was essentially married to the legendary Prince of the Rhine!    

Giggling, “Yes yes!” the mischief Anne Elizabeth suggested was precisely the sort Nicci desired!  Poor Burgoyne.  The French Miss seemed fascinated to toy with him.  But there was nothing truly in it, or at least that’s what she told her friends. 

And then the gentleman arrived, Nicolette’s smile broadened as she turned to see him. “Ooh Sir Burgoyne, how fine you look today!” So reserved in his warm brown coat, so tidy, so neat. She fancied giving him a kiss already.  (Though she never imagined that he was mentally kissing their wrists - John was far bolder than she had ever thought!)

“Why thankyou…” she moved a gestured dip, which might pass for a curtsy given the costume and location - her own gloved hand also extending for greeting of a kiss.   

Returning to her natural posture, her eyes glittered in an expectant manner.   Though John might not realise it, she was now ready for their presents (& it had better not be a fur coat!) 

"Countess, it is an honor and privilege to meet you.," John  replied.  He had not been expecting a high ranking lady, and one so young.  John had been imagining a different sort of chaperone.

Each hand was kissed, or wrist, in turn.  Though there were two ladies present, John had brought only one present.  It created an awkward situation.  How was he to respond.  Men were not naturally gifted in dealing with ladies in such matters.  It was an acquired skill.

"Let us go for a walk shall we?" he offered cheerfully, wondering in Anne Elizabeth would allow him some privacy with Nicolette as they walked.  If so, he might give her something then.  He was ready to offer his arm to Nicci but waited to see what Cambray would do.  He did not wish to be rude.

Anne-Elisabeth was pleased that Nicci liked her suggestion about kissing the gentleman according to the gifts he brought them. They both shared a sense of adventure and loved mischief, perhaps one reason they got along so well.

Nicolette complimented Sir Burgoyne. It was not the Countess' place to do so, as they had never met before. She couldn't even recall seeing him at any of the events that had taken place since her arrival. If he had been at the limerick contest, she believed she would have noticed. She remembered the faces of most of the courtiers who had gathered around Dorset and herself. He didn't look like a poet, so she doubted he had a talent for verse.

She didn't curtsy to him either, as she outranked a mere Baronet, but she did nod graciously when he said it was an honor to meet her. Sir Burgoyne was certainly gallant and polite, traits that she appreciated, though she also appreciated wickedly witty gentlemen with bawdy ways.

“A wonderful idea,” she remarked when he suggested that they go for a stroll. “Walking will warm us up.” Taking a step forward, she feigned slipping, grabbing onto Nicolette's arm for balance. Turning her head toward her friend so that John couldn't see her, she winked mischievously so that Nicci would know she had done it on purpose.

“Oops.” she said for Sit Burgoyne's benefit, smiling at him apologetically. “Walking on snow is a skill I have not yet mastered but practice makes perfect, as the saying goes.”

As John turned she spotted the red ribbon he’d had tied in his hair.  Every girl knew that red was for love!   Flaring her eyes to Anne Elizabeth, she tried to direct her friends attention to that also – with a grin to share!

Not at a party, nor drink in hand, Anne Elizabeth was far more proper than the frenchling had imagined.  The introductions were perfectly done, even as if an etiquette tutor was watching on.  Perhaps it was because she did not know John yet?  And likewise, he did not know she.  (Although separately Nicci had told both of them quite a bit of the other.)

Knowing a cue when she saw one, Nicci chimed up:  ‘Yes we must grasp one of your arms each Sir Burgoyne, that you might be our anchor.” She helped with the settling into place.

Belatedly she wished that she’d not been so cocky telling her friend about presents, when none at all wre forthcoming.   She'd been sure that Peg Hughs comments  been too subtle – but perhaps the topic had gone whoosh, right over Johns head!

“This waterway is likely nothing at all what you are used to Lady Cambray, nor the type you might swim in even in finer season.” Taking up the subject that had prompted this outing, Nicci thought to get these two talking!  “Sir Burgoyne, did you know that Lady Chambray used to reside in Barbados, where her happiest pleasures were sitting on the beach beneath a perfect blue sky.”

Things did not quite work out the way he had hoped.  Anne Elizabeth was not there as a chaperone.  She was there as a full participant. 

As Anne stumbled, John moved quickly to try and prevent her fall.  He understood clumsiness, having a bad history in that regard.  John was able to catch the countess in time.  It helped that the stumble was feigned.

"Of course," John responded when Nicci asked him to be their anchor,  What else could he do?  An arm was offered to each.

"Barbados!  Sun, natives and pirates," John exclaimed.  "A dangerous place to be sure, but quite exotic I imagine."  Their walk along the Thames was nothing like the beaches of Barbados.  Not only was it freezing cold, but the city was filled with soot and debris in contrast.  The waifs that littered the shadows were pale and coughing, unlike those with dark tans and skin in the Caribbean.  Yet, the nobility knew London well and could ignore its blemishes easily enough.  Without a care, the trio walked together, no doubt seeing the beauty that London and the weather offered as occasional flakes of snow floated to the ground.

Anne-Elisabeth had not expected that Sir Burgoyne would come to her rescue, but he caught her right after she had signaled Nicci with a wink. “Thank you, my lord,” she said, letting go and standing on her own, attempting to look a bit shaky on her feet. If it got her close to handsome gentlemen, she was definitely going to use that trick again.

Nicolette understood her cue and suggested that they walk on either side of the Baronet. Lady Cambray took the arm that he offered her, and feigned unsteadiness as they began their stroll. Her friend then mentioned Barbados, and this time, it was Anne-Elisabeth who caught the cue. “Oh yes, sitting on the beach soaking up the sun was one of my favorite activities. Another was walking along the shoreline with little wavelets lapping against my ankles. I had to pull up my skirts so that they didn't get wet.

“We do have problems with natives and pirates, but most of them stay away from the well-armed English communities and plantations.” Anne-Elisabeth looked around, noticing that the people lurking about were in poor health and the surroundings dirty and cluttered.  The quality of the air was rather appalling and she pulled out her rose-shaped pomander with her free hand, sniffing it appreciatively. “There was a beach close to my parents' plantation where I used to swim. Have either of you swum in the ocean? It's nothing like splashing in a lake or pond. The waves are quite strong and clothes will only bog you down.”

Nicolette fully knew that her admirer was frustrated, and derived a particular joy in doing that to him.  

"Wavelets? La! I just know I would love wavelets too."  She had never heard small waves called that, and loved how the word sounded!  

For her part she hardly noticed the smell, but then Nicci had attended London court in the full pungency of a summer season.  And to a romantic way of looking at it, the urchins and beggars made the world look like a Christmas play, where soon enough marvellous turns of events would bring jingling bells and roast dinners into these poor peoples days. 

"Oh look!" Nicci crooned discovering softly floating flakes of snow falling now and then. "Isn't Christmas so magical!"

Yet back to the blooming conversation she quizzed, "Lord Burgoyne, will your new career take you to protecting England’s interests off the Barbados shores too? Fighting pirates shall be very exciting , I am sure. Perhaps the young ladies wading on the beaches shall cheer you on."  It was not a terribly realistic view, but she was not trying to be very serious, rather spoke for both her friends smiles.   

And there is was. The topic that had spurred this walk: naked sea bathing.  Looking to the gent, Nicci widened her eyes in a 'I told you so' manner. 

"I have yet to try it myself." the French girl said.  Would it bring a visualisation into the gentleman’s mind? And would he then flush to the colour of the ribbon he wore? Nicci hoped so , or they’d have to try harder till he did.

To one's eye, the blight of London was a depressing thing.  To a young French beauty, it was magical.  It was that sort of eye that might serve her well at court.  The court was a refuge from somber things, preferring to be a beacon of gaiety no matter the flutter of dark wings outlined in a pale moon.

John continued to offer support every time Anne-Elizabeth feigned a fall.  He had no inkling that he was a pawn in her plan.  When Nicolette offered her magical observation, Burgoyne was quick to agree.  "When in the right company surely."  It was about as good of flattery as he could compose.  Yet Nicci had sparked something magical in him and he was as blind to the refuse of London as she, having enchanted eyes for her.  They could be in the midst of a battlefield strewn with the maimed and dead and if she had uttered her pleasure, he would likely see the same.

"No, I expect the Oxford Blues will stay in England until there is war .. trouble somewhere."  There was to be no further talk of war with France.   "I should like to see Barbados some day."  It did sound exotic.

As for swimming, John was slow to realize that the subject of nude bathing had been raised.  Yet, like a lit fuse meanders to a powder barrel, his eyes reflected an understanding at last.  "The waves at Brighton can be fierce."  The comment bought him time to fathom a better response.  "Di-did I hear that people swim naked in the ocean?  Natives and gentle persons?"  Surely not.

“When I was a child, I thought that the wavelets wanted me to play with them because of the way the pulled at my feet. They wash onto shore and then recede back into the ocean. When I was with other children, we would plunge in the water and play in the waves. We were all taught to swim around the time we learned how to walk.”

Anne-Elisabeth wondered if the rest of London was so dismal. She felt sorry for the poor ragged children and promised herself that she would give them a few coins on her way back to the palace. It was the stench that bothered her the most, though.

Nicci's delight at the falling snow was contagious. “Snow is quite magical,” she agreed. “In Barbados, it seemed like a myth and I always wondered what it was like..” She grinned at her friend. “Now I wonder what it tastes like.” Sticking out her tongue, she tried to catch flakes of snow on it while Nicci spoke to John about his career.

“You're a soldier?” she asked him. “There are quite a few in Barbados to keep the peace and protect the English settlements. If you really want to see my homeland, maybe you can ask to be sent there.” The Countess doubted that he would, as it would take him away from Nicolette.  He was clearly smitten with the pretty French girl.

“Well, you simply must,” she exclaimed to Nicci. “There is nothing quite like it. And yes, some of the nobility swim naked, usually alone or in small groups when nobody else is around. It is frowned upon, but I think all of the young people do it.  You should try it, Sir Burgoyne, if you ever find yourself close to the sea. It's an amazing feeling.”

While she appreciated his championing, Nicolette would have liked for John to be more admiring of her friend also.  “La, you must have been very little to have thought that.” She laughed of Anne Elizabeth’s reply on wavelets.  It was an adorable thing. Didn’t her Baron think it was adorable too?

She did notice he was very diligent in helping her friend to walk on the icy pavers – but if he was using the hold as an opportune to feel her womanly press against his side, he was hiding it very well.  (Nicci suspected he was hiding nothing at all.)

He told her a little more of his position, within the reply she heard his stopping himself from talking of the war.  Her thanks took the form of squeeze to his arm.  “Barbados does sound lovely, but I must admit I would be content to experience it only in a painting, while sipping the coconut rum.   For to leave, I would miss the excitement of life at court too much, and my dearest friends company also.

She almost answered Anne Elizabeth’s question upon Johns beheld, but caught herself in time.  Perhaps he would brag to Anne Elizabeth, in that way that some men did to flirt?  If he looked at Nicci at that moment he might even notice her flare of eyes and nod of encouragement.  Impress her.  

Upon swimming, his was a good question.  While the reply seemed near to impossible, entire groups of nobles skinny dipping completely boggled the mind.  The Countess might very likely be making it all up, which was fine really.  Nobody else had been there so she could really tell them just anything and who could truly disagree.  The only disappointing thing was that John was not blushing yet about any of it! 

“I heard that Lady O’Roarke has a bath house…” Nicci remembered, and then mused, “She is in confinement in the country at the moment, so the bath house must be quite unattended.  We ought to go. It might make for good practise for us, ready for the summer months and waves.”

John could understand being taught to swim at an early age.  He too had learned as a boy, in the local pond.  Swimming in the ocean was something different.

"Indeed I am a soldier," he admitted freely.  "I shall go where the Earl of Oxford sends me."  It was a non-answer.  At the moment, Burgoyne did not feel the master of his destiny.  He had signed on to be Oxford's adjutant, meaning he would go wherever the Earl would go.  "We shall see."

Nicci's eyes flared and she gave him an encouraging look.  It could mean only one thing -- he was impressing her.  Perhaps she was falling for him as hard as he was falling for her.  Surely she could not be trying to foist him on another.

The subject of nude swimming was easily more interesting that the usual topic of conversation, the weather.  He could not believe he was have a conversation with two ladies about such a forbidden topic.  It was hard not to blush.  "Oh, I shall try it surely in the waters of the Channel.  It was not unusual for men to swim naked.  When women swam naked, it meant that they disrobed to their shift, which was quite scandalous, or so the Baronet had been taught.

Then to top it all, Nicci seemed to suggest they all go naked swimming together.  John could hear his heart pulse in his neck.  HIs ears hummed for no apparent reason and he felt his neck warm at the thought.  Hopefully the ladies in his company would not notice!  Lady O'Roarke had a bath house.  She was one of the great libertines at court, so it made perfect sense.  He had attended one of her parties once.  It had been quite an affair, in more ways than one.

"How well do you know the lady" he asked, praying that she might know her well.  "Sh-she would let you use it?"  John would prefer to swim alone with Nicolette.  Perhaps she would profess her love for him then and they might live happily ever after.  Anne-Elizabeth was pretty enough and surely charming enough, but was not three a crowd?

Anne-Elisabeth did feign slipping a few times, moving at bit closer to John every time he helped her regain her balance. The way Nicci was acting, she wanted him to impress her, to which he seemed completely oblivious. Maybe the Frenchwoman was not nearly as enamored of him as he was of her, and she hoped he would transfer his affections to the Countess so that she wouldn't have to let him down. One thing she liked about her friend was that she was concerned about other people's feelings.

“Well, perhaps he will send you to Barbados, at least for awhile.” She decided to attempt to meet the Earl of Oxford and tell him of her homeland's charms and that one of his men wished to go there. That would get him away from Nicolette, assuming that was what she wanted, and there were many pretty English girls who loved a man in uniform. Or perhaps he would prefer one of the natives, exotic dark-skinned women with few inhibitions.

Anne-Elisabeth agreed with Nicci about court. “I have only been here for a few days, but I would miss it too if I went back home. If I had known of all its delights, I would have come much sooner.” There was innuendo in her words, but she doubted that the Baronet would pick up on it. Nicci might, though.

“Be careful when you do,” she warned him. “Swimming in the ocean is more difficult than swimming in a lake or pond. The waves are always trying to pull you under, and you must constantly fight them. When you get out deep enough, you can turn around and ride them back to shore. It's a wonderful feeling to glide upon a wave.”

Nicolette suggested swimming in someone's bath, which sounded like fun. Anne-Elisabeth could teach them how to swim with strong strokes to prepare them for bathing in the ocean. As John asked Nicci how well she knew Lady O'Roarke (where had she heard that name before?), the Countess pretended to stumble right into him so that  her curves would press enticingly against his arm.

Make no mistake, Nicci adored Burgoyne’s attention. She had however wanted to share him with her new friend.  Foisting was hardly in her nature, nor did she want him sent away.  Really, she had no idea what she wanted to 'do' with him, but did enjoy his indulgent company. And they had yet another outing planned, they would attend the Parade with the premiere gentleman Oxford and his lady wife.  

"Oh but if you are sent away, you will write to me wont you?" Nicci pressed.

Anne warned that while fun, swimming in the ocean could also be dangerous.  Nicci did not really need the warning, for she had absolutely no plan of ever swimming naked in the waves (to her it was but a fun thing to tease John about doing.)   

"Then the bath house would be far more sensible." 

"Oh yes I know her terribly well." She replied to John, which was not as true as it was wishful thinking.  Nicolette had chosen Heather to be a mentor, but not with that woman’s assent or even knowledge. Nicci admired Heather, tried to emulate her, but had hardly had any conversations with her.  Besides, Heather was currently in confinement, you don’t really need to be best friends to talk about sneaking over a fence to someone’s pool. 

"We could make an entire party of it." it was a fanciful thought, hardly very serious, but Nicci was enjoying the imagining very much.  "Who else should we invite."    

John did not seem to recognize any innuendo in Anne's words.  "Court does seem to be the most exciting place in England.  You cannot find its like anywhere else."    The danger in swimming was well known to him, so he merely nodded.

"Of course I would write," he promised.  It had to mean something that she asked him to write.  Only sweethearts did that.  It comforted John that Nicolette so easily announced that they were now a couple in front of the Countess.  It was good to have a witness for such declarations, or so he thought.

It was good that Nicolette knew O'Roarke so well, so it put his mind to rest.  "I have not hosted such an event," he confessed.  "Who would you two think would be the right partygoers to invite?"  He had no idea.

Neither one of them seemed to catch Anne-Elisabeth's innuendo. Then again, it had been very subtle, nothing like her usual blatant double-entendre. She would have to practice being subtle more often until she became adept at it. John didn't react to her pressing up against him either. Surely he couldn't be as clueless as that dull Lord Ogle. In truth, she wasn't trying to arouse him; she had just thought it would be a fun thing to do.

It appeared that Nicolette was fonder of him than the Countess had originally thought. A lady didn't usually ask a gentleman to write to her unless she fancied him. Maybe she wanted Anne-Elisabeth to approve of him and didn't want him to transfer his affections to her. He was nice enough, she supposed, but probably too proper for her tastes.

“I'm afraid I have not met many people here yet, so I am not the right person to ask.” She smiled warmly at Nicci. “But I am sure that Mademoiselle Vauquelin has some ideas. I believe she has charmed everyone at court already.”

Poor John, perceiving deeper intent in the light-of-heart Nicci.  Even Elizabeth Anne misread Nicci.

She did like him of course, and perhaps in seasons past might have agreed to more. But ambition and circumstance had changed.  Eventually, perhaps if she realised he was getting serious, she'd need warn him (so he could not be guilty of poaching on the kings patch.)  But for now it was a frivolous fun she had with him.  Flirtation was French Courts finest pastime and her pleasures had not truly moved so far from her countrymen.  While letter-writing was an equal plaything, why in years past she’d engaged in the french fashion of writing love letters to her girl friends to and fro; with intent to bring the other to heart felt sighs!

England was so different in that regard.  For a nation so boisterous and merry, the English could also be quite gullible in believing flirtations every word. Unlike in France where evening salons were training grounds of coquetry, and witty dalliance, with very little (if any) of it earnest, and nearly never leading anywhere.  The English naivety and habit of following through was remarkable to Nicci (that first ball when Roos had flirted then instantly wanted her to go outside with him had shocked her to the core!)  but the forthright had become perceived as the most charming thing.  Her very best friends were the most earnest ones.   

"Then leave the guest list up to me." Which suited her just fine, she was thus free to choose if she'd actually attempt it or not.  "No sooner than next season of course." 

If she'd thought of it sooner this season it would have been an excellent mischief for the Lady Of Misrule. What mask would she be wearing next season? The choice was not entirely her own, for she was a player in a grander game.   

"Yes, next season.  It should be warmer then," Burgoyne replied.  The spring seemed a better time to get partially unclothed.

As for guest list, he needed to leave everything to his French sweetheart.  If he asked about what ladies would be invited, she would see him as not satisfied with her company alone.  If he asked about men, would she see it as him being jealous of others?  really, there was nothing to do but go along.

Yes, John did not realize that he had gone from a major piece on the board to a pawn and the pawn that was Nicci was now seeking to become the Queen of the board.  By next season, the poor Baronet might learn the truth of it; but, for now, sugar plum fairies danced in his head.  He was certain that he had turned the corner and now all the pieces of his life were falling into place.

As they walked, John played guide.  "This area coming up is the Temple area.  It is a place of a Templar temple and a gaggle of barristors and solicitors.  Further on is Black Friars and then the Tower of London itself ... a place of many stories." 

“Definitely in the spring.” Anne-Elisabeth agreed with both of them about holding their swim next season. Even then, it might be too cold for her unless the bath was heated. In the middle of summer, she doubted that London would be as warm as Barbados. Hopefully, the sun was out more. She truly missed basking in its brightness and the way its warmth felt upon her face and shoulders.

There was no going back now, not even to visit. Even if the delights of court had not claimed her, she wouldn't make that journey again, considering that the first one had ended in a shipwreck that she had barely survived and that had taken all of her loved ones from her.

Her snowy surroundings looked a bit bleaker when she thought of it. The miserable conditions were more noticeable and the vagabonds and waifs in their shabby clothes seemed more miserable. She consoled herself with the notion that she was better off than they were even after the misfortune that had befallen her.

Determined to ponder those things no longer, she listened as John pointed out various locations. “You know so much about the city, Sir Burgoyne,” she flattered him, pressing herself against him again for no other reason than that she could. “This is the first time I have ventured away from the palace and I appreciate your guidance. The Tower of London has always interested me. So many things have happened there. Have you ever been inside it?" 

She glanced over at Nicolette.  "Wouldn't it be splendid to have a guided tour of the Tower?"

Different sights capture different interests.   Nicolette looked towards the Temple area.   "Oh yes, The Tower." Nicci agreed just as any friend would following Elizabeth Anne's interest - and prompt for his to offer escort. 

"What is the Templar Temple?" of the area right here she asked.  "I have heard of the crusades of course - is that temple the ah... cloister, is that the word, the place the crusaders belonged to. And how is it that men of law come to be there now.  Surely the Knights Templar did not birth that profession - though I dare say many a Solicitor would enjoy the association. It might be quite good for business."

Realising she'd just lodged far too many questions she broke into a smile, "La, but perhaps these are questions for Baron Daventry."  Nicci had not visited him for far too long, why last season she'd been frequent sight traveling down the Halls of Offices.  That Heneage Finch senior was her cousin’s-uncle-in-law had been an excuse to visit the charming gent as often as possible.   

“You would have been a Knight Templar if you had lived in history, wouldn’t you.” She astutely brought the topic back to the Gentleman.  “And Lady Cambray and I, we would have been the paramours giving you tokens to remember us by as you went to the battles.”

Looking further off now, she sought a glimpse of the Tower from this angle… "Shall we walk that far today?” she was able if the others were up for it.  

It was Anne Elizabeth that pressed against him rather than his sweetheart Nicolette.  He only hoped that she did not see it.  A week before no lady had wanted to press against him, unless he had paid for the pleasure and now he had the most popular lady at court as his sweetheart on one side and a forward Countess on the other.  Sometimes, when it rained, it poured.  Ordinarily this would be a happy circumstance but he did not wish to lose his French mademoiselle.  Thius, it was her questions that received priority.

"The Knights Templar were the soldiers of the church," he began.  "They were created to protect travelers to the Holy Land.  Yet they amassed great wealth and mystery, having a chapter house in every realm, including one here in London.  They lost their power and fortune overnight after King Phillip of France declared them heretics and had their leaders arrested.  The Templars in England disappeared, along with their treasures, into the shroud of history.  Their temple house remains standing here."  He guided them within site of it.  It looked like a small cathedral.  "They say the place is haunted by Templar spirits.  There was a murder of some bookseller in the temple on Christmas Eve.  Most unusual."  He paused to allow the story to sink in.

Turning to Anne he continued "the Tower has its own mysteries.  Two royal princes are said to have been murdered there, likely at the hands of the Lancaster faction supporting King Henry VII.  The crown jewels are held there and so is an assortment of odd animals."

Yet again the newly comissioned Burgoyne impressed her, spouting forth marvellous tales of lost treasures and Templar temples, and, yes lost treasures especially.  Nicolette was very happy to set foot through the site, her eyes roving about as if she might discover some lost clue that had been lost to all overs many centuries now.

"King Philip certainly wanted the treasures for himself" she spoke what they had all been thinking.  (Poor John would never dare to say a word against France in front of her again!)  

"I wonder where they disappeared to..." of the English Templars she asked, looking towards Elizabeth then back to John.  She could not say for sure about her friend, but she was next to certain that Burgoyne could do with finding a treasure just as much as she. (He'd told her his recently gained commission had been upon connections and merit rather than handing over a lump sum.) 

"Ooo... is the Booksellers shop still open?" He'd very successfully led the ladies to thinking that some murderous treasure hunter had knocked over the bookstore seeking a clue to the Templar fortune. “Imagine if we found a treasure map.” 

It was wholly amazing how fascinating John Burgoyne had become - she tipped her head and looked at him even as he answered Anne Elizabeth’s question... 

Even though he seemed immune to her charms, which Anne-Elisabeth didn't blame him for since he was clearly enamored of Nicolette, John knew how to tell a good story. What she had learned about the Knights Templar in Barbados was quite boring. They had not disappeared, but had been killed, and those who survived served in other areas of the Church. Their treasures had been confiscated.

But perhaps that tale had been false. Maybe the knights who escaped arrest had vanished and hidden their treasures somewhere that they would never be found. The Countess looked at the temple with new interest, now that she knew that it was said to be haunted and that a bookseller had been murdered there.

“Perhaps the bookseller found the map and it led him to the temple, but somebody stopped him before he could get to the treasure. Or maybe he didn't know what he had and sold it to someone who then killed him so nobody would know what he had. What is the temple used for now?” she asked John. “Is it open to the public?”

The Tower seemed positively dull in comparison to the temple now. What if some kind of clue had been left inside that they could discover? The very possibility was exciting to the bold and adventurous Lady Cambray.

The fact that the ladies seemed more interested in him, if not his tales, was not lost on John Burgoyne.  He could spin a good story if necessary.

"It was long ago ladies.  The Order lost its last hold in the Holy Lands, the city of Acre, almost 400 years ago.  Twenty years later, the Order was crushed, with the complicity of the Pope they say -- the very Pope the Order had sworn to serve.  The English Master was said to have died in the Tower, claiming innocence until the end.  No one knows what happened to the hundreds of knights that served throughout Europe.  Only the French leaders and a few others were captured.  The rest, and their treasures from the Holy Land, simply vanished."  He paused for dramatic effect.  "Some say a secret order of knights still exists.  Some say they have midnight rites in this very temple, perhaps plotting their revenge."

Nicolette mentioned the bookseller.  "The bookshop is closed.  I have purchased books there in the past, about military history.  The owner was gutted like a fish in this very temple at midnight on Christmas Eve.  I know the man's sister.  She was found dead on Christmas day, all her doors locked.  The shop is locked up.  I hear that the books or shop itself are to be sold to the highest bidder..  Most strange if you ask me," John supplied.  "What was the bookseller doing in this temple late on a Christmas Eve?  It makes no sense unless it was a clandestine meeting with someone who planned to kill him.  But, who would want to kill a simple merchant?"

Perhaps he had embellished the story a bit for dramatic effect, but it was a dark mystery.  In answer to Anne, John replied "there is a curator of the temple.  It is open to the gentry if you gain his permission.  I have been inside."  He paused overlong.  "If only the stone knights inside could speak.  Imagine the tales they would reveal."

A cold breeze buffeted the trio.

"We should come here at midnight..." Nicolette whispered (right on cue?) her eyes wide with the intrigue of it.

The French girl was in full agreement with Anne Elizabeth, and with more heaped-high portions of drama from John, was fascinated with yet another murdering and prospective shop auctioning to take place.  "Oh I wish I had money to buy a shop." Nicci lamented of an impossible dream... then more sensibly added, "perhaps we should not come here at midnight after all. No amount of treasure is useful to a dead man."   

That said, she added, "I’ve got nothing planned tonight, have you?"  Because Burgoyne would make sure nothing awful happened to them.