JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Excitement at Langdons | Monday 3rd Jan 10-ish- Xmas 1677

Hope

#1 Langdon House

• Located on the south corner of Picadilly, this large house seems almost out of place with the smaller town homes further up the block. Likely it is because it predates the development of Pall Mall and St. James Square.

Though the house shows signs of age from its Tudor origins, the walled grounds of two acres are well maintained, with a nice garden in back. There is an entry gate to the front, and a gate in the rear to the stables. A military man might appreciate the security of the perimeter.

The house has 3 levels plus an attic. The ground level hosts a small ballroom, parlor,dining room and study. The second floor hosts a masters BR, Missus BR, and a guest room. The third floor has three guest rooms, with the servants sleeping in the attic.

~//~

Young Francis pulled back the curtain, angling to try see down the street. "They must be arriving soon, what ever is taking them so long?" she said mostly to herself, though also for her wardens benefit.  Charles was not pacing about the house with excited agitation like she was, but she was fairly sure he was just as intently aware of todays great event occurring within his household. 

"If they take much longer, I've going to eat one of the cupcakes."

• Hope featured, unfeatured, pinned and unpinned this topic

They had said that they did not need him.  Charles had offered to make the warden most accommodating for their wedding, but Elam had claimed that he wanted to do things on the spur of the moment.  It was the holidays after all, a magical time when anything might seem possible.  Still, Charles had insisted that they wait long enough for him to write a letter of introduction to the Warden and his officers.  If they did not treat Elam with respect, they would have Hell to pay to the Lord Lieutenant of London.

Frances seemed recovered from episode.  he had left her mostly to herself and he had stayed home the previous evening, rather than cavort with Catherine.  He had wanted to be available to Frances should she want to talk.  She had not been confined to her room as he was there to give chase if necessary.

"Do we have enough holiday grog?" he asked the Cook for the third time.  He had already sampled it just as many times.  He could smell more cakes baking in the oven, or maybe it was bread.  It always smelled good.  There was no time to run out and find a gift, so he hoped to give the happy couple a gold sovereign to start their lives together.  They would be wanting time off to travel after the season ended, but that could be accommodated.  He just needed to find a reliable and clever governess for Frances

Frances seemed in good cheer, so he laughed with her.  "If you try and take that cinnamon one, you are going to have to fight me for it," he laughed good-naturedly.  Surely they would arrive soon.  They had left at dawn..

"Do you still want it if I"ve already taken a bit out of it." Frances grinned in return. 

She was not likely to bring up her moody behaviour of the past week, but seemed quite transformed.  "I wish we could have invited Lady Chatham to the breakfast also, she is such a nice lady."   

"Yes, I will," he assured her.  One bite would not deter him from his favorite cake.

The transformation of Frances was watched carefully.  It was hard for Charles to do other than suspect it was a ruse so that he might lower his guard so that she might run off again.

"Frances do you know that Lady Toledo has a beautiful singing voice?  She has performed for the court several times.  I spoke to her yesterday at church about possibly coming to visit so that the two of you might sing together.  You have such a beautiful voice that I am anxious to hear the two of you together.  She might be able to teach you things that your tutor has not.  Would you like that?"  He could only hope that she would.

That was just like a boy not to care if she'd taken a bite out of it, the briefest of pouts crossed her lips, but this was too great a day for it to take residence.  

"Yes I remember her from Westminster." Was Charles trying to upset her now, to talk of that horrible day when his worst side was revealed? Yes she remembered Sophia as the woman who'd failed to help her as she'd promised.  By Charles interest in Sophia, Frances could guess that this was the latest in the line of women that he was shagging.  There was a time when that would have upset her, but Frances had braved her heart from getting upset any more.  "I wonder if Lady Chatham can sing too?"  

A kernel of a plan had taken a place in her mind.  The Lovely Lady Chatham was widowed, and would make a perfect wife for Lord Langdon.  "If you would enjoy a duet, you'd adore listening to a trio.  And then later on, I could accompany Lady Toledo out to her carriage and you could have some time with Lady Chatham to get to know her a bit better."  Seperating Charles from Sophia seemed very clever to her thinking.  

Charles was dense when it came to discovering feminine wiles, but this one was a bit too apparent.  A request for Frances to see Lady Chatham again would be natural, given that the older woman had seen her through a feminine crisis.  It was only when the pre-teen suggested that he could be left alone with Chatham to get to know her better that his suspicions were raised.

"I am certain that Lady Chatham is delightful company.  Perhaps she can sing as well.  Let me think on it."  This was his way of delaying an answer until Sophia arrived.

His first wife was a woman old enough t be his mother, or at least Jeanne felt that way.  The idea of becoming involved with another lady that could be 40 or older was not a welcome thought.  If he was to marry, it would need to be a lady young enough to bear him many sons. Of course, an older woman could be a good lover.

It was interesting that Frances was adopting the tactic because Charles had assumed that she still had designs on him.  Was this some sort of deeper plan to have him become involved with an older woman for a few years to give Frances time to mature? Surely not.  Was she that clever?  He doubted it.

Where was Elam and Amy?

"Goodie!" Frances was so pleased as he practically agreed.  

There was no great amount of strategy to the young girls thinking, other than that she was unable to stop Charles incessant dalliances with ladies, but perhaps she could have a hand in who he was messing about with.  If there had to be another woman at their dining table, at least it could be someone she liked.  "I shall write to her today, really I need to write to her any how to thank..."

The rest of that thought was then interrupted by an "Oh! There they are!"  And pulling back the net curtain fully Frances beamed though the window at the merry procession walking in through the gate and then down the side of the house (to the servants entrance).  Flashing a smile to Charles, Frances shot out the door to get to the kitchen first!   

Frances seemed to be in an excellent mood, so why did it cause Charles to be suspicious?  He darted after her, as much to make sure that she did not continue running as to greet the newlyweds.  "Everyone, get your mug of grog to salute them," Charles urged as he looked for his.  He was not very good about pretty speeches to celebrate nuptials.  He had seen many soldiers marry and they had been mostly celebrated with mead.

"Congratulations," he shouted as the happy couple entered.  "May you both be very, very happy and blessed."  With that, he lifted his mug in salute.  That seemed sufficient, he imagined, but awaited to observe what the servants might do in addition.

• 2 weeks later...

They might hear the cheerful calls and conversation as the cheery band of servants walked up the back path - meanwhile the few who has by necessity remained behind to tend to the Master's requirements were now all to happy to take up mugs of the celebratory drink.   

Bursting through the backdoor first was the young outdoors errands boy (usually seen covered with coal dust and the likes, but today scrubbed all pink an clean).  The lad got a big surprise to find Lord Langdon and Frances with raised much waiting.  "Oh!" And he darted off to the side near the cooker.

Some manner of commotion which caused further laughter was going on outside, before with a bump (and squeal from Amy) Elam dipped down to carry his new bride through the too-low-door, to then flush as he saw Charles there to greet him!   Hastily Amy was set down.  (It was the others that talked him into carrying her through the door, he had been less certain as it was not technically his house even if they counted it as he home!)

"Good Morning milord." he then lapsed a grin as he both heard & saw Charles good nature of it all. "Why thankyou for your blessing, it means the world to us both." 

Elam was dressed in his best civvies in a dark green, while Amy in a neat wool frock in plum with a nice hat decorated with holly and red berries, a warm glow on her face.  "So you are speaking for me too now eh? Look how quickly marriage changes a man!" Amy quipped with a laugh.   

Everyone was merry.  It was as it should have been, so Charles was content.  The toast was well-received.

"Elam is not so talkative," the Earl revealed, so you might be doing more speaking for him now that you are married."  That would give Amy something to think about, but she likely knew he was a quiet man by nature.  Perhaps it was due to his age.  Charles paused to see if Frances might have something to add.  She was perky this morning and she might feel better if she could have some of the attention for herself.

The servants were then treated to the buffet of food.  He was prepared to fight Frances for the cinnamon cake if necessary.  He also tried to elicit well wishes from Abigail.  She had been coaxed into speaking at times.  Perhaps a marriage celebration might cause her to come out of her isolation.

"He was talkative enough when they said we were not booked in!" Amy returned (sounding proud of some manner of protest Elam had lodged).  "We very nearly had to live in sin." She was laughing happily, even as Cook nudged her to the side as she made her way into the room also. 

"Morning milord" Cook said as she crossed to the stove to check this and that.  

"Ooh what happened.  See Lord Langdon, I knew we should have gone too." it was Francis piping up, even as she reached for that single last cinnamon cake. 

"Well, they lost our booking somehow.  They tried turn us around to come back when we had ourselves properly organised, as if we've not been planning this for two, or even three weeks already!  But Elam was not going to be turned away. He told them it was them wot needed to get themselves organised, and to take a proper look in their book.  Then he mentioned our Lord Langdons name, told them they better be quick sharp cause..."

Elam had been happily listening to the retelling according to Amy, until this last addition. 

"Er, I am sorry Milord, but there seemed a necessity." he apologised for using Charles name to get sway.  

A pair of girls Charles wouldn’t recognise, were next to push theri ways inside past Amy. They had sprigs of holly in their hats similar to the brides. The kitchen was filling fast. 

Edited by Hope

"Oh, Frances look!" Charles exclaimed, pointing behind her.  It was all a ruse for him to get to that cinnamon cake if he could.  If successful he would laugh with a pleased "hah."  It was all in good fun.  He had warned her after all, and it as likely that she had gone after that cake purposefully.  Yet, Charles found it hard to imagine that there would be no more such cakes with a horde descending.

Speaking of hordes, a bigger crowd than he imagined was entering his home, including two girls that he did not recognize.  "Had I been there, I would have done the same," Charles assured Elam.  Life was about using one's status to get favors, or to use one's master to do so.  Charles knew how to bully his way to get what he wanted.  Fortunately, he rarely needed to do so.  "I'm making you responsible for the good behavior of your guests," Charles added in a low voice and then went back to observing the festivities from a further distance, allowing Elam and Amy to celebrate with their friends in relative privacy.

And of course Frances did twist to look where Charles pointed, securing him that moment of opportunity to snatch the prize from under her greedy nose!   But he was pointing at nothing (unless it was something on cooks wall calendar that he found so exciting?) Turning back Frances gave a cry. "Hey that was not fair!"  lower lip jutting. Was he really going to stuff it all in his mouth ! (it being cupcake size the feat was entirely possible, and probably even) 

Elam was appeased.  

While Amy hearing Charles comment flashed a easy smile.  "These are my sisters, Edna and Gerty... and, here is my Ma and Pa." who were then next pair to squeeze on in through the too low door.  

Was it surprising that Charles had never met Amy's family before (though she'd been serving in his household for more than a year and a half now).  Long ago she had told him about her family, her father an educated man, a Customs Clerk.  Parents that had hoped for so much more for their daughter, and that no doubt had been a combination of grateful to Charles for hiring her, and proud of their Daughter for securing such a respectable job.  

"Lord Whitehurst." The gent dressed in stout brown wool coat, hat taken off and pressed to his side,  stepped near to Charles to bow his respect, "I'd like to thank you - for everything."  In a practical manner he covered everything in those few words.  His wife, in a dark green wool coat made a curtsy of a sort (not so elegant given that her coat was a bit (a lot!) too tight, and there was scant room to move in the overflowing kitchen. 

Then there was someone else, a man in army uniform pressing his way into the room.   

A good one half of the cake disappeared in a large bite.  Charles grinned at Frances.  It was as if he had planted his flag  on the cake, claiming it in the name of the house owner.  "I told you to leave the cinnamon one for me.  There is a lovely chocolate one there for you."  He had yet to acquire a taste for chocolate.  It seemed too rich.

The appearance of Amy's family was a surprise but he greeted each amiably.  It was her wedding day after all.  Did her parents know that she had earned a living on her back?  He hoped not.  "Your daughter has been most dutiful," he complimented.  She had kept an eye on Frances for him, though she was no proper governess for her.  Had she tutored Frances in the ways of a wanton woman?  He hoped not.

The house was filling up quickly.  Just how big is her family?  There was a flash of a military uniform entering.  Might it be an old comrade of Elam's?  Yet there was a slight feeling of dread as he looked to see who it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

"We are right proud of her, she’s a good girl." The mother replied - did Charles note her elbow-nudge to husband? 

"Err... ah, thankyou for your kind words sir." the man that was Amy’s father seemed reluctant to press on saying any more.  But his wife gave him a look, and it seemed he feared her more than the lofty Earl.  "Ah, and my girls Edna and Gerty are likewise diligent and hardworking girls."  after a pause he finally added, "...if you think you might have a need for anyone?"

The man in uniform swept off his hat to tuck it under his arm,  his was a ruddy and cheery face with a broad smile for his old friend Elam. "Lets get down to some celebrating!"  Between the soldier and Elam, mugs were clinked, and Gerty let loose a squeal at that moment. (With the press of people in the room it was difficult to tell just why she did that!) 

Meanwhile Frances made her most hopeless and pitiful face, in hopes that Charles would give the rest of the cinnamon cake to her. 

Charles was more in need of a governess for Frances, as opposed to more servants in the household.  "I will keep that in mind sir," Charles offered to be polite.

As for Gerty's squeal, it was most likely a surprise pinch, leaving Charles to wonder if the soldier had been responsible.  The man did not seem familiar and Charles looked to Elam to make the introduction.  The Earl like meeting soldiers, being one himself of course.

As for the cinnamon cake, Charles paused before devouring the center, which he habitually saved for last. "This cake is so good.  So moist.  The butter really brings out the cinnamon," he began.  He could not help tormenting girls.  It was among his favorite pastimes. "Only a fool would part with it.  Why I would hold it back from the King if he commanded it," he declared playfully.  "It would require only the greatest love possible to overcome my love for these cakes.  It would have to be love so strong that one might be in awe of it."  He then paused, looked at the juicy morsel in his hand and the pitiful look on Frances' face, as if weighing the two.  At last he handed the final piece to her.  "My love for you is too great I fear."  Now he was interesting in her response.  He had made his smile vanish as he gave it to Frances as if trying to prove a point.  Would it be a point lost on an adolescent?

"Enough of that." Elam chuckled to his old comrade in arms, spirits high and with mistletoe about, he held a piece above his new wife’s head and took an indulgence.  Family and friends cheered this on. 

Meanwhile Francis watched Charles savouring the cake, his relish of it confirmed what she knew - that it was the best one of the bunch and he was not about to share it.  As emotionally unbalanced as she was at this momentous stage in her life, tears begun to well up in her eyes.  It was only a cake, why was she so upset? But then why was she so upset about anything the past week or so?  All about people were in high spirits.

But it was Charles relenting with declaration of love - giving her the last bite of cake that really tipped the scales.  Frances burst into tears, stuffed the cake into her mouth and ran out of the room. 

"Or if not here, we were thinking you might need some help at the Dorchester house." Amy's mother was not to be stopped, though her father knew a brushoff when he heard one and gave a 'look' to wife that she chose to ignore.  "The girls might give you a weeks work for nothing each, for you to assess their usefulness."   

Frances fled in tears, leaving Charles to wonder what on Earth had happened.  He was just beginning to feel like he might be learning more about women and girls up to that point.

As for Amy's siblings, Charles gave another look at the sisters.  Were they pretty?  Were they strong and healthy looking?  "I do not directly oversee the Dorchester House.  There is a woman that administers it."  Frankly, he had not spent any time there this season, notwithstanding some expense in designing his own back entrance to the place.  No one he knew was staying there.

"I will speak to them, and ask Amy about them, although we really do not have an opening in the household at the moment.  I will consider the offer."  Charles was pondering whether he might have one as Frances' full time maid.  He still awaited Elam to introduce his friend.

The  kindly Cook gave a nod to Charles and followed after Frances with thought to pacify - Charles might know that Frances was very chummy with the houses font-of-all-things-delectable, she was perhaps the right person to approach her just now.  

Amy’s siblings looked well enough, not the level of beauty that their elder sister was, which was sometimes a good thing.  In fact as Charles looked, Gerty was scolding Elam’s soldier friend for an unwanted pinch, indicative of the girl possessing some character.

The uniformed chap abandoned his forward behaviours, and stepped towards the Master of the house  - "If I may have a word Milord. I’m Corporal Jacobs, " He interjected, unwittingly cutting Amy's mother off.  "... and pleased to finally meet you in the flesh.  I have heard so much of your history of adventures from your old friend Lieutenant Darryl. What a small world it is ay what!"

The Cook was also the right person to speak with about making more cinnamon cakes.  There was no reason to keep fighting over them.  He could ask for a whole tray for himself and one for Frances too.

As for Gerty and Edna, he would need to think what he might do with them.  Perhaps he could send them on various errands, carrying notes and keeping watch on things.

Corporal Jacobs turned out to know Daryl.  Of course.  He half expected Daryl to come walking through the door with that damnable pipe in his mouth.  "Yes, Daryl and I go way back to when he was a corporal himself.  We get a laugh by telling nothing but lies about the other," Charles ventured as a way to attempt to defuse whatever his rival had said.  "He is a good soldier."  Let Jacobs stew on that.

The later in the day the smell of baking would flood the house – it was a rare thing for the Master to make a particular request, so that when  he did it took highest priority! (Cook prided herself on knowing his favourite meals, and he had little interest in going over the weekly menu, so she was largely self-directed in the task).  The remainder of the season would be spent in a profusion of  cinnamon cakes, breakfast lunch and tea.  

“Ha-ha!” Jacobs laughed Charles playful berating of Daryl’s ability.

“By that account you are not a card cheat and womaniser. Ack, and I’d thought we were going to get along famously!”  Jacobs jested in return.  “Though upon his soldiering ability, there might be some truth your rub.  He was captured by the enemy did you hear, while he’d been stationed out in the middle of god knows where – how does a man get so unlucky at placement eh?   Anyhow, you'd guess he was taken hostage with ransom demand to ensue, what with his father being lord almighty of some place, and dead wealthy too.  Heh, but the funniest thing is that rather than that, he got dropped off on a beach instead. Heh heh. You know how Daryl can talk, I’d my guess that his captors got tired of it!”

Cheery Jacobs took another swig of his drink.

"Hardly," Langdon responded to the accusations.  In truth he was something of a womanizer; but, to Charles, the label suggested a man without principles in his dealings with the fairer sex.  The Earl believed himself to be very principled.  He had not mistreated a lady to his knowledge.  He just had a fondness for female company.  Surely that was no crime.

"We still might get along well," Charles insisted.  "Elam thinks highly of you so you cannot be half bad," he complimented.

The Earl knew who had seen Daryl posted in a remote location.  He smiled inwardly at the memory.  "Who captured him?  Bandits? Pirates? or his creditors?" he chuckled.

"Elam and I go way back." Jacobs replied, turning to view the man they spoke of, his jocose ebbing as he uttered from the heart,  "You wouldn’t find a better man to have at your back."  anywhere. 

But back to the banter, he laughed at Charles question. This chap Langdon was far more entertaining than Daryl had let on!  "Who's to know!  Haha! I do know that he's returning to London in the next while though... stationing med at outposts is less than necessary when there is a war looming."  War, now there was a fine subject. Jacobs wet his lips, anticipating some riveting talk about ranks, guns and munitions. All thrilling stuff. 

It was at that same moment that Cook poked head through the door hoping to catch 'Masters eye. 

"Elam served both my father and myself with distinction," Charles complimented.  Upon hearing that Daryl was due to return to London, the Earl feigned happiness.  "I wonder who he is fleeing in the provinces.  If he asks to borrow coin, you will know it is the creditors."

Before the topic could continue, Charles saw the look on Cook's face.  "Excuse me gentlemen.  The Cook looks in need of direction, or perhaps she has a cinnamon cake to sneak to me."  He offered a smile and departed to see what might be amiss.

Leaving chuckles in his wake, Charles moved out into the hall  "She has an apology for you milord." Cook said, indicating that Frances was waiting for him in the front room. 

Frances was there stood near the window, a soberer figure than the one that had stood in the same spot an hour before. She seemed to be watching something, or someone outside... distracted she did not hear him enter. 

As he walked into the front room Charles found Frances looking out the window.  She was looking more contrite and collected, so he approached and stood beside her, looking out the window as well.  "I think it is going to snow," he stated softly while the sounds of celebration came from the next room.  It was an invitation in a non-threatening way for Frances to speak to him calmly if she wished.  He was content to stand there quietly until she spoke.

She heard him as he approached, and turned to look at Charles even as he peered out the window.   "I think someone is out there." she commented, before drawing proper breath to speak. 

"I’m sorry I got upset before, they are your cakes after all.  I shouldn’t be ungrateful for all you have given me. I do know what is good for me actually. "  Charles might easily guess how Cooks' conversation with this girl had gone.  "and" her lashes lowered, "I did not mean to ruin Amy and Elam’s special day."

It was daytime, so Charles looked to see who Frances might mean was out there.  After satisfying his curiosity he turned back to his ward, appreciating her apology.  "Thank you Frances for being brave enough to apologize."  It was best to start any conversation with a woman with a compliment.

"I did not realize that you were so fond of the cinnamon cakes.  I had thought the chocolate or sugar ones would appeal to you more."  It was something neutral to say while fishing for a better response.  "You did not ruin anything," Charles assured her, turning his head towards the frivolity in the other room.  "Their minds are not on cakes," he chuckled. 

Wanting to take advantage of the moment, Charles sought to try and make peace with Frances.  "You say you know what is good for you," he repeated.  "I am good for you Frances.  Though you think me an ogre, I am good for you.  And you ... you are surely going to drive me to start drinking ... heavily; but, you are good for me too Frances.  You are good for your mother too."  He reached for the hand nearest his own, to clasp it.  "I will always share my cinnamon cake with you."

The concepts were simple and not elegantly rendered but he knew that she loved him and she had to know that he loved her, so there had to be a way to bridge the gulf that had come between them.

There was a shift of movement beyond the front hedge, a figure on the path near the road.  But then Piccadilly was a popular street in a popular district.

Frances eyes shifted to the side on the point he made.  She discovered a need of inspecting a finger nail.  “I like Cinnamon quite a lot too.” The fact was that she’d only wanted it because she knew it was Charles favourite, but she did not want to admit that particularly.  Unfortunately, he seemed to be onto her already.

“Yeah, I told cook that too. But she thought I should say sorry for that also.” She replied in straight forward.  

Her warden then spoke of how he was good for her.  These were bitter sweet words for Frances, because she knew he had a ‘but’ within them.  A ‘but’ that had him marry strange French women, take one night stands into his bed, invite mistresses to the dinner table.   He also said that he thought her good for him also?  “How?” she just had to ask.    

“Mother, she’s just too far gone Lord Langdon. Sometimes I think we should put her back in Bedlam. It’s hardly as if she’s actually here anyhow.  The sight of her just makes me sad.”  

A pause to see if the figure could be identified, Charles then turned to reply.  She did not counter that he was good for her, which was a good sign.  He had been expecting a challenge.

How to answer her question would be tricky.  Charles paused to collect his thoughts while hazarding another look at the place the figure had been seen.

"My life has been about duty Frances.  There was a duty to my father, my family, a duty to the King, my regiments, to protecting the peace, and such.  I embrace the life gladly.  In my life I have seen people broken.  I do not know whether it is sparked by duty or sentiment, but I have empathy for broken people and a great desire to protect those I care for from becoming broken.  Your mother was broken and when you came to my door that day I thought to save her, as I still do.  I married a broken woman and I could not save her.  And then there is you Frances.  You were a child when I met you and you are growing up fast.  I see in you a flower that I have come to care for, who sings and enjoys simple things.  It is a flower that will make me proud one day.  I know it.  But this flower wants to do things that could break her because there are too many bad men in London.  I did not know your mother before she was broken, nor Jean, but I have come to know you.  You are part of the family now.  You are good for me because you are not like other influences in my life.  I can help you become that young lady that we will both be proud of.  I can keep you from the path of destruction.  I can make a difference in your life for the better and you have the chance to do that for me.  You are still very young and you could choose many paths.  I do not know how you will turn out in the years ahead.  You are good for me because I care how you turn out.  I want us to share a lifetime of smiles and special memories.  It is that hope that you offer me."  He seemed to not be forming his points very well.  "I am not very good about speaking about feelings," he confessed.

"As for your mother, we can save her by working together.  We can not send her back to Bedlam.  They did horrible things to her.  She hears what we say.  I got her to speak about how you were named after her mother.  That proves that she is still there.  We need to revive her memories more and get her speaking.  I spoke with a doctor about ways to save her.  I have not given up on her.  She is on the other side of a gate.  We merely need to find the key to unlock the gate so that she can return to us.  Perhaps your singing and the singing of Lady Toledo can call her back to us.  There are other ideas too.  We could take her to her home where she grew up."  It was then that he recalled the man claiming to be Abigail's lost brother.  He had not seen the man in some time fortunately.