JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Beads to Insanity and with song | Mon 3rd in the morning- Xmas 1677

Hope

The Spanish Embassy

Located 5 doors up from the Dutch Embassy, the Spanish Embassy is also unassuming. Its gates are high and the guard out front dressed in the uniform of the Spanish Army. A large flag hung next to the main door, displaying the Spanish colors. It was Don Pedro de Ronquillo who represented his country.

The Duchesses practical boots (though a jaunty red) hadly made any sound as the walked up the steps to the Embassy.  Her stride was strong and deliberate, she was feeling rather good even if the reason for her visit was rather less simple.  

"I wish to see Lady Toledo." she provided her intent to the footman along with her navy blue cloak and fur muff. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unless it was raining or snowing heavily, Sophia usually took Aurora for a walk in the morning. The monkey's thick bright fur protected her from the cold and she enjoyed being out of the house. The young Baroness, too, enjoyed their morning strolls. She still wasn't accustomed to the cold, but she handled it better than she had last winter, and she was wrapped up warmly in her silver fox cloak and matching hat. White gloves protected her hands from the elements and her boots were white as well.

As she was passing the Embassy on the way home, she noticed Anne Scott at the door, speaking to a footman. Hearing her name, she walked up to the Duchess, stopping at the bottom of the steps. “And here I am, Your Grace,” she said with a warm smile and a short curtsy. “We have a residence behind the Embassy. I'm heading there now if you would like to come along.”

"Oh?!" Anne smiled to Sophia, and looked about as though just taking in the full of her surroundings. There was another building behind this?   

"How unlike the French the Spanish are!" she declared with a cheery laugh.  She been to the French Embassy before, where the French Ambassador resided amidst the vast opulence.  

Where was the path to this back-house? "Well this is grand timing then." she moved to carry along with Sophia.  "Were you much disappointed when you found out your Lord Husband did not want to live in the Embassy itself?  Men can be strange creatures, I must tell you my life is so much better the less I have to do with my own husband."

“My lord husband would love to hear you say that,” Sophia laughed. Everyone knew that there was no love lost between the Spanish and the French. Maybe that was why the Spanish Embassy was so modest  while the French one was extravagant. They were both making statements.

She led the Duchess around the back, Aurora scampering ahead of her. There was a well-maintained stone path leading to the house and it was about a three-minute walk to get there. The house had the same understated style as the Embassy, but Sophia planned to make it prettier in the spring by planting flowers and also placing them in pots either sitting or hanging close to the door. She could fill up the window boxes too.

“He might as well live there. I rarely see him. He's gone by the time I finish my morning singing practice and sometimes he doesn't return until late at night. I would have been disappointed if he had wanted me to live at the Embassy. There's absolutely no privacy, and I would have to confine my pets to a couple of rooms. Now they have the run of the house.

“And it is quite nice not to have my husband lurking about all the time.” She didn't think Anne wanted to hear that her relationship with her husband was slowly improving, so she said nothing about it. As they approached the house, the butler opened the door and let them in. Another servant took their cloaks, hats, and other outer-garments. Sophia picked Aurora up and unfastened her leash from her collar. When she set her back down, the monkey dashed up the staircase.

Sophia led the Duchess into the drawing room with it's dark masculine hunter green and burgundy décor. She had added a few feminine touches to brighten it up. Colorful paintings that she had bought on her travels hung on the walls and cream silk curtains shot through with gold thread were pulled back from the window that took up most of one wall with golden ribbon accented by red fabric roses. White porcelain vases painted in floral patterns sat on a few of the tables, filled with flowers from her small orangery.

A sturdy table made of dark wood had been placed by the fireplace. The two chairs  beside it were upholstered in burgundy and green brocade, and golden ribbons had been tied to the backs. The table was covered with a cream tablecloth with gold lace trim. “Please excuse the dreary color scheme, Your Grace,” Sophia said. “I'm going to have it redecorated in more cheerful colors during recess. The entire house needs a woman's touch.”

Indicating that her visitor should take one of the chairs, she sat down in the other one and leaned forward slightly. “Have you had any grand adventures since last we spoke?" Remembering her lessons in being a proper hostess, she added:  "And would you like some refreshments?"

“Would he?” Till that moment Anne had not thought anything at all about Lord Toledo – but aftr hearing that he would like her comment, she found herself a bit interested.  “Is that because… well why is that?” she asked. Put simply Anne enjoyed very little male attention in the past year or so, so that even this small compliment she found flattering.

And so to the somewhat cottagey entrance way they walked, Anne knew the plantings would look wonderful next spring but for now they spoke more of a gardeners diligence than any Edenesque beauty.  

“So, your lives are very separate.” Anne empathised, she knew exactly what that was like. Knew what the likely reason was. And knew better than to elucidate the young wife on that topic. 

“You do know that is quite a good thing really. Some poor women have ever present and overcontrolling husbands, and barely have any freedom for themselves. While we… well you have your house filled of animals for instance. And I, well I have excursions.”  

Passing over her hat and cloak, Anne stamped her red boots on the mat shaking free the gobs of melting snow, before drawing a breath of the warm interior air she followed Sophia through to the drawing room.  “Mmm I love Neroli…” she moved to the orange bloosoms in vase and bent to inhale the sweet fragrance.” And with a content smile moved to take the chair offered her by the fire. “Then I am lucky to see the ‘before our transformation’ and shall look forward to seeing the after.”  Anne was not as fussed on décor as some ladies were, though she agreed with Sophia that an injection of light and beauty would do the room much good.

“I would die for a tot of hot brandy.” Asked she

“The Spanish and the French don't get along,” Sophia explained. It was probably not what Anne had wanted to hear, but it was the truth. “So he would be pleased that that such a well-respected lady such as yourself thinks they are nothing alike.”

She nodded. “We have dinner together occasionally, but he doesn't speak to me much. Sometimes I feel a bit lonely, but I do know how lucky I am that he doesn't care much about me. He is not overbearing or cruel and he gives me more freedom than I expected, as long as I am accompanied by the bodyguard that he hired to protect me. And he doesn't mind all my pets.”

The Duchess stopped to smell some of Sophia's flowers before taking a seat by the fireplace. A fire flickered merrily in the hearth, and the young blonde stretched out her hands in front of it, savoring its heat. Because both residents of the house were accustomed to warmer climates, it was kept a bit toastier than the average English home.

“I will definitely invite you over next spring. I hope everything will be done by then.” She was perhaps more overly concerned about the décor than she should be, but she didn't want anyone to think that she had chosen such dark colors to decorate her abode. The house they had rented during the summer had been much more to her liking.

Sophia told the maid standing nearby to bring them two hot brandies and she left the room. “So what kind of excursions have you been enjoying lately, Your Grace?” she asked. “I haven't seen you since that unfortunate incident at Westminster, and I have thought of you often.”

Edited by Sophia de la Cerda

• 2 weeks later...

If the girl of a year ago could hear herself now.  But here Sophia was, in the flesh, explaining international politics to an English Duchess.

“Ah, I see.” Anne smiled of that, and lifting her chin claimed boldly, “Then you must tell him that I far favour the Spanish styles.” Even if secretly she thought the Spanish generally dressed their ladies a tad too puritan!

Here Sophia spoke details of her relationship with husband. 

Call Anne a sentimentalist, for she read some concealed disappointment in her young friends words.  “Marriage is far from the storybook we dream of.” Turned from admiring the flowers and gave Sophia’s hand a squeeze before taking a seat. “Yet our lives may be our own, and fulfilment something we can claim with vigour none the less. You and I, Lady Toledo, are kindred spirits.  Though I would claim you have the greater fortune to realise these things years before I myself did. Why Jemmy and I were married… oh years and years before I chose to take charge of my own happiness.”

Fresh from her invigorating walk, the contrast of the very warm home was dramatic.  Yet she expected she would adjust soon enough (and was too well mannered to say anything about it!)

A future visit was promised, and then they begun to speak of adventures. 

Oh I glad you reminded me. Why that is the very purpose of my visit.  Well not so much the debacle of Westminster, but of our other adventure: the troubles with Bedlam. I understood you wished to talk about it then, but at the time… well I was not sure what to make of it myself, and. Well that just did not feel a discrete enough location.”

“I shall do that,” Sophia promised. “He will be happy to hear it.” Her opinion about Spanish fashion was the same as Anne's … too conservative and even the ladies wore black. She had added some Spanish influences to her wardrobe, but she dressed in the English style.

She smiled when the Duchess squeezed her hand and pronounced them kindred spirits. Both were stuck with husbands who cared little for them but they were not about to let that define them. They could still enjoy themselves and live rewarding lives, even if it meant deceiving said husbands from time to time. What would Anne think, she wondered, if she knew that Sophia had not one, but two, lovers? Idly, she wondered if her friend had a few too.

“I guess all young girls dream of true love, but reality is much different. I knew my lord husband didn't love me before we were wed, so maybe that was why I learned so early to find other things to make me happy. And your friendship is one of them. We are, indeed, a lot alike. Maybe that's why we get along so well.”

The Duchess then mentioned Bedlam. Sophia had thought she was no longer interested in the mystery they had uncovered, but she had just wanted more privacy to speak of it. “Yes, I still want to find out what's going on there. I'm absolutely certain that the patients are being mistreated and that the warden is behind it. We need to help them, since they are unable to help themselves. You went to that board meeting, didn't you, Your Grace? Did anything seem odd about it?”

"Alas I think our situations are not rare at all - but rather most women do not admit the truth to themselves." Anne replied.  This was an age when most marriages made were for practicality, family alliances and monetary concerns also.  It was the hopes for most families that the marriages of practicality would grow to allow some happiness still though.   "But you are still new into your marriage, so there is still some hope for closeness to grow yet." 

But to the topic of Bedlam.  "The board meeting was extremely long and boring,  it was barely 10 minutes in before I was regretting going at all. But I bravely suffered though it, and did try to attend to what was being said. There was a lot of talk of security being increased, with a need for more funding to allow more guards to be hired. At the end they all turned and looked at me, and I realised where they were hoping to get the funding from!"

"I've told them I would think about it, and give my reply at the next meeting. That was last Wednesday, and next Wednesday is suddenly very close!"

"I too am concerned of possible abuse.  I mean, those poor souls would not have broken out and run away if there was not something there they were running from!" 

Maybe the Duchess was right. Her relationship with Esteban was improving, but Sophia didn't think they would ever fall in love. Nor did she believe he would ever shag her more than once a week. Yet without him, she would have no excuse to go to Madrid and be with Juan. She had married him to be close to her royal lover and he had most likely married her so that Juan would give him the position he desired.

She listened as Anne described the board meeting. Like her friend, she was surprised that they expected her to fund their operation. That was probably the sole reason they had invited her to attend. However, now the Duchess had the upper hand and they might be able to use that to their advantage.

“I wonder if those patients have been found yet. That they were able to escape makes me think that they might not have been mad at all. Maybe the warden makes money on the side by locking people away when their families want to get rid of them. That could explain his luxurious office and why we were unable to see the patients … because some of them are as sane as we are. If the escapees haven't yet been caught, then they definitely have their wits about them. I wish we could talk to them, but they've probably long since left London by now.”

The hot brandy arrived and was set on the table in front of the ladies. Sophia lifted her cup and took a sip. “Did you ever think of using the position they put you in to do some investigating? We could show up unannounced, perhaps tomorrow morning, and you can say that you want to inspect the premises and see the patients before you commit to providing the funding they need. They won't have time to cover things up, and if they really want the funding, they will agree and we can have a good look around."

The ideas that Sophia then suggested would have seen far fetched and impossible initially, but currently seemed viable, even plausible. “If only we could find one of those escaped people ourselves, then we could ask them personally.” Anne replied.

“I think they all got recaptured, but then we can hardly take the board’s word on that anyhow. They were telling is mis truths from the moment we first visited. They are definitely covering something up I am certain.”

...but they've probably long since left London by now...

“Yes probably.” Anne agreed with a sigh.  Then straightened, “Although we do know where the ones they recaptured are!”

Tie that in with Sophia’s suggestion of an impromptu visit, under the guise of reviewing funding needs.  “We might at last find out what they were running from!  We just need to say that to consider the need for more securty, we want to talk to one of the inmates that escaped!”

“We could have searched for them if we had gotten their names. But even if we had asked, we would have been given fake ones or the warden would have refused outright, saying that it was none of our business.”

So all of the escapees had been caught and returned to Bedlam, or at least that was what the Duchess had been told at the board meeting. Sophia wasn't certain if she believed it. “That's a magnificent idea! If the warden thinks that you're going to donate a large amount of money for security, he will probably agree. If they all escaped together, the patient we speak to may know the names of those who have not yet been caught. Then we can look for them and find out more about their families and whether they wanted to be rid of them.”

Sophia leaned forward and lowered her voice, even though there was nobody around to overhear her. “I do know that the patients were abused in the not so distant past. Lord Langdon told me that his ward's mother was in Bedlam and that horrible things were done to her. I doubt that she was the only one who was mistreated.  And it's most likely still happening."

Anne's expression became very concerned with this new information.  "What did they do, did Charles say any more?" Perhaps it was the shock of Sophia's revelation that had the Duchess so casually use Charles Christian name. 

"I think you are right that we cant rely on true information simply by asking the warden, but there is bound to be someone there in the staff that knows what is going on, and who wants it to discovered and then reformed."  They could not all be bad eggs, could they?  "What if we were to try befriend a guard, cleaner, or other doctor that attends there? Though how could we do that, and with time running out."

Sophia noticed that Anne used Lord Langdon's given name. Were they lovers or just good friends? Was it because of her relationship with him that she had hung back at Westminster instead of joining Lady Kendishall in trying to free Frances? Maybe she had not wanted to anger him by getting involved.

“No, he didn't go into any detail about it. We didn't have much time to talk after Church. I offered to sing for her, hoping that it might soothe her and maybe even improve her condition. If I do, maybe he will offer more information then. He said he would let me know if Frances agrees, because I wish to see her as well. She shares my love of music.”

The young Baroness nodded. “Not all of the employees would agree with mistreating the patients. They may be afraid that they will lose their jobs if they tell anyone. Or they could have been threatened into silence. If we visit, we can speak with any who look hopeful or uneasy and subtly suggest that we are willing to listen and that they will not suffer from telling the truth. One or more of them might approach us about it or slip us a note telling us where to meet them.”

"You must tell me how that goes." Anne replied, though in truth she was not so anxious about either of Charles wards - he was a good man she knew this.  She was interested in anything related to bedlam though.

"Why is nobody else aware of these questions?" she wondered out aloud.  "And, so how shall we contact staff members, we have only two days, hardly time for the writing of letters this way and that. I feel we need a more direct approach. And, I want your help this time."  Anne had felt a bit dropped in at the deep end last time, with how neitehr Doug nor Sophia would go to the board meeting with her. 

“I will,” Sophia promised, 'if he sends me a note telling me that I can visit. I might ask some questions about the woman before I sing to her, and I will try to find out what kind of abuse she suffered. I haven't seen her, so I'm not certain if she can speak coherently or not.”

The Baroness, too, couldn't believe that nobody had noticed the poor conditions at Bedlam. She doubted that everyone there had been abandoned by their families. Some of them must have relatives that went to see them every now and then. Surely they must sense that something was wrong.

Sophia swirled the brandy in her glass as she thought considered their options. “I think our first course of action should be a surprise visit where you demand to look around and talk to the patients who escaped to access the need for security funding. Most of the staff will be occupied with you, so I may be able to slip away and do some exploring. If I pretend to be your servant, the employees may be more willing to talk to me.

“And yes, I will attend the next board meeting with you.. They will probably ask me for funding too. I doubt they care if their security is paid for by Spain, as long as they can keep the patients from running off and telling the truth about what is going on there.”

She took another sip of brandy. “I wish that Lord Dundarg could accompany us, but I haven't seen him in a few days. He is probably off on the King's business again.”

Anne nodded in agreement while stating a firm “that poor poor woman.”

The idea of a surprise visit seemed good in that it was clever, bold and swift. “Shall we go there tomorrow then. This seems important enough, with lives at risk, I can clear my calendar.” Or should we wait till after your visit to Mrs Smith? With more information we might know where exactly to look.”

“Oh I would appreciate that very much.” Anne replied sincerely when Sophia agreed to go to the next board meeting too.  “It is going to be on Wednesday again, but timed to not conflict with the Military parade. That much I insisted.”

The fair headed Duchess sighed in agreement then, “I miss Lord Dundarg too, he is a an unpolished gem at court, really there is nobody else quite like him.” With a smile she added, “perhaps we should write to him, or form a petition signed by all the ladies of court to present to His Majesty.  It’s hardly fair to us that Douglas is first to be sent upon this mission or that. Why don’t they send someone less charming, like perhaps…” she paused, trying to think of a less miss-able substitute.  

“I think we should go to Bedlam tomorrow morning. That's when they'll least expect us. I won't be visiting Lord Langdon until Wednesday, and only if Frances agrees. I don't want to insist on seeing her mother without her approval. I didn't make a good impression on her at Westminster, and I know that I would not want anyone I didn't like getting anywhere close to my ill mother, if I had one.. I'm hoping that our shared love of music will soften her attitude toward me.”

Sophia felt guilty that she had not attended the first board meeting, but she'd had other things to do. “I hope it's in the afternoon, because I asked Lord Langdon if I could visit in the morning. We should take the same carriage so I can tell you what I find out. Then we can decide what we need to ask them and how to do it so that they'll give us the answers we want without believing that we're suspicious of them.”

She laughed when Anne suggested giving a petition to the King asking him not to send Douglas away so much. “He is definitely one of a kind.” Her body tingled pleasantly as she remembered their last meeting. How she wished that they could find a way to indulge their passion for each other. Maybe he had been the Duchess' lover too. Or still was. A pang of jealousy pierced her heart but she quickly pushed it away. How could she ask him to be faithful to her when she, as a married woman, could never be faithful to him (and had two lovers already)?

“I think almost every gentleman at court is less charming than Lord Dundarg. I shall hope that he shall return before the season ends, maybe even in time to help us with our investigation.”

“Excellent!” Anne expressed with nervous excitement, “and you shall be dressed as my maid?” Anne tried to remember earlier planned details, this little lady did not have the best head for retaining such things. “and I am going as myself?”

They also tried to plan Wednesday to attend the Meeting together.  “and I wonder what time The Parade. It is the finale of the season, we should not miss it.  What if there is something special planned.”  His Majesty did surprise his courtiers with the unexpected from time to time, keeping them always upon their toes. 

Unable to settle anything at that moment, Anne squeezed Sophia’s hand and said, “We must send notes on Tuesday when the day becomes clearer – and yes, we shall go in my carriage.” Using the ride as a time to plan was a great idea.

Anne laughed happily with Lady Toledo’s recommendation of Douglas!  “And do you know he is probably one man who actually needs to hear such a commendation.”  As gorgeous as Doug was, he was not at all arrogant.  “He is also the one gentleman who encourages the inner adventurer in ladies.”  Would it have surprised Sophia to have know that the Duchess had never so much as kissed Douglas? (though she might have secretly imagined what that would be like)   

“I suppose I could dress as your maid. That may make me more approachable. If you have a uniform you think will fit me, I will look the part. I have a dark wig I can wear as well. If you don't have a maid's uniform, I have some plain gowns that could pass as servants' clothing.” Sophia grinned mischievously. “Don't ask me what I used them for.” If the Duchess really wanted to know, she would tell her.

“And of course, you will be yourself. You have the authority to demand whatever you wish and nobody can refuse you. Plus, you are the one they want the funds from.”

Sophia considered Anne's concerns. “I don't know why, but I thought the parade was going to be in the evening, though in truth, it makes more sense to hold it during the day when it can be easily seen. I do hope there is something special planned and we certainly don't want to miss it. Maybe we will know more details by tomorrow morning when we visit Bedlam. And we can ask about the time for the board meeting while we're there. It would be better to make plans in person than to send notes, but it's an option if we don't know anything about the parade by the time we return.

"What time do you want to go tomorrow morning? We should probably meet in the palace. There should be a place for me to change there. If I leave the house in disguise, the servants might tell my husband and he will become suspicious.”

Sophia's mischievous grin returned. “Then we should tell him the next time we see him. If he doesn't attend court next season, do you think that we can organize adventures for ladies ourselves? We don't need a gentleman to supervise us, but we should be able to find plenty who are willing to assist us should we need them. It just won't be as much fun without Lord Dundarg.”

<< “Don't ask me what I used them for.” >>

Naturally Anne did ask, “Ooh but what did you use them for?!”

Their plans were confirmed, what with the Duchess able to provide a set of maids clothes that fit well* (a benefit to keeping a large house in Chelsea with copious servants).

“Yes yes, we can ask of the meeting time then, telling of our concerns about the possible clash with the Parade.  Why… we could possibly use it as a excuse to defer a decision of funding at all.  Though it would be nice to settle this dreadful matter, it might be too much to do within the short time, even for adventures like us.”

“Lets meet early at the Place then, before our peers are up.” Less people to see them up to anything out of the usual.   Anne tried think of a time when just nobody of importance would be up  “Is eight too early?” it was shockingly early for any lady of court – unless said lady happened to be sneaking back home from a lovers bed.

It was then that Sophia struck upon a fine idea, one that had not occurred to the Duchess previously. “How clever.” She agreed, “we shall take up the baton for the Adventuring Ladies society.  You are very right, we hardly need a man to supervise us. Why, until you said that just now, it had not even occurred to me that was what he was doing.” She blinked. “But, you do not think Douglas was ‘put up to it’ by my husband do you?"

* count the set of maids clothing into your inventory, for Anne is never going to remember to get that ‘disguise’ back.  Note that the fabric is recognisable as a servants from the Buccleuch household.

Sophia should have known that the Duchess would ask. Again, she leaned forward and lowered her voice. Servants were always listening and one couldn't be too careful. She trusted that Anne would keep her secrets. “I used to disguise myself as a commoner before I was married. I made up a fake name for myself and everything. I would dress in old clothes and sneak out of my guardian's house and go into parts of London where I wouldn't normally be allowed. I even auditioned for a play and got a part, although of course, I had to refuse it. Pretending to be a commoner was quite adventurous and a lot of fun. Luckily, I did not get into any trouble that I wasn't able to get myself out of.”

She nodded. “Yes, we should definitely try to postpone the funding so we can investigate more next spring if we don't discover anything incriminating tomorrow. At the board meeting, they will most expect me to volunteer funds as well. The two of us can stick together and insist that it must wait. I don't think they will protest if they think they'll be getting large sums of money from both of us.”

Perhaps most ladies didn't get up until noon, but Sophia had always been an early riser. “Eight is fine.” Sometimes she left the house even earlier than that, so Esteban would not think it odd that she was gone at that time. When she returned, she would feign a horrible headache and retire to her bed, only to sneak away and meet Lord Arundel. She wished she could tell the Duchess of those plans, but her affair with the handsome Earl must be kept strictly secret.

Anne agreed with her about the Ladies Adventuring Society. “No, I don't think your husband put him up to it. He did it because he knew that not all ladies were content to sit around sewing and gossiping all day. Before he started it, he knew that you and I were adventurous, and probably the other ladies who attended as well. Without him, we'll just have to come up with adventures ourselves and do all the planning. If we want to do something such as learn to shoot, we'll need a gentleman to teach us, but we can still be in charge.”

Anne’s eyes flared at the revelation, marvelling.  “Your guardians would have been furious if they had known!”  This was her personal perspective at least, as the daughter of a Duke herself she had been carefully monitored prior to marriage.  Not that she’d even considered such daring at the time.  “You are certainly an adventuress!” She replied, coming to think that in this Sophia well and truly out-ranked herself!

“With so much experience, tricking the guards at Bedlam will be pip-squeak for you!”

Sophia’s tale still amazed within her mind.  “What play did you addition for, what part did you get?”  Anne coaxed the fullness of story from her young friend.   

Had Douglas been a spy? Not wanting to believe the charming Scott had been working for Monmouth, she replied, “I hope you are right, besides Jemmy is hardly so clever nor discrete.” She nodded, the idea seeming less and less likely as she thought about it.  “And Douglas would surely not tattle tale.”

“Ah, but then it is all settled.” Anne decided, getting up to her feet. “I shall see you at eight.” A bright smile was flashed.  And then, after making farewells she headed off, with a sense that her unexpected visit from the upon Ambassadors wife was as productive as it was brief!  It was only much much later did she remember that she'd forgotten to pay Sophia back for the Westminster beads. 

OOC: I'll make the visit thread now! 

“Yes, they would have, but I was sneaky and they never found out,” Sophia basked in Anne's praise. Being called an adventuress by the Queen of Adventuresses was one of the highest compliments she could have received. “To sing opera, you must also be able to act, because not everyone in the audience understands the language the opera is performed in. You have to convey the story by your actions as you sing.

“I don't remember the name of the play, but I do know I got the part of a maid. It wasn't the lead, but it wasn't a minor role either. So I should be able to portray your maid convincingly.” The petite blonde did know the name of the play as well as the playwright. Every Lady's Satisfaction had been the first of Samuel Greyson's plays to be performed in London. For some reason, she felt compelled to keep that information to herself.

“Oh, and you know what else I did? Remember last spring when the Theatre Royal burned down? I was there to watch the play and I barely escaped with my life! Master Hart was the one who gave me the part and when I got out of the building, I asked him if there was anything I could do to help. Somebody recognized me and called me 'Lady Sophia,” so I thought fast and told Master Hart that I was such a good actress that I had pretended to be a noblewoman and everyone believed me. I think I fooled him.”

The Duchess and Lord Dundarg must have been … or were now … lovers by the way she continued to use his given name. “He would never do such a thing. Lord Dundarg is an honorable man, though not everyone sees him that way. It is sad how they treat him just because he was born on the wrong side of the blanket.”

Anne stood up and made ready to leave. “I will be there,” Sophia assured her as she accompanied her to the door.

Sophia was fully qualified to act the part to maid.  If that tale was amazing, the next took it to another level.   "Then he believes Lady Toledo to be a commoner-imposter?" Anne's eyes were wide. "Isn’t that going a bit too far.  What if the common gossip, for it surely not forgotten, reaches courts circles?  Ah well, I suppose if it does, it does.  And how long ago was that now, practically a year or even more. I shall stand by your side if you ever need someone to vouch for you."  

Anne was brave that way. 

Though now that she was appreciating that Sophia was even braver, she voiced the thought that came to mind.  "I think that You should run the Ladies Adventurers Society, you are far more qualified than I."   It was a big thought to throw in right at the end of the conversation.  "Well think about it any way.  I would love to hear what things you would plan for us though, if you did take it on.  Ah, but yes, tomorrow!" she smiled, adjusting herself, before bidding a cheery "Toodle-oo!" 

“I was Lady Albrecht then, not Lady Toledo. But yes, I think he believes that I am a commoner who masqueraded as a noble just to see if I could get away with it. I told him he should try it himself. I really had no choice as I was called by my real name. I certainly couldn't tell him that I was truly a noblewoman. That would have caused a huge scandal and nobody would have wanted to marry me. I also don't think anyone overheard our conversation. The actors and actresses were busy trying to save as many props and costumes as they could. It was chaos.

“And yes, it was close to a year ago now. I have grown up a lot since then.” Sophia thought she had, anyway. “Master Hart will probably not recognize me if he sees me again, and there is little chance of that happening.” She squeezed Anne's hand when she promised to vouch for her. “Thank you. I appreciate your willingness to stand up for me if I need it. I will do the same for you if you ever find yourself in trouble.”

The Duchess had more confidence in Sophia than she had in herself. “Me? Well, I do have some ideas, but we can talk about it tomorrow in the carriage.” She didn't want to usurp Lord Dundarg's place in case he returned to court. If the Adventuring Society she ran was mainly for married ladies, she wouldn't have to. She had been contemplating starting a club for married ladies for quite some time.

“Farewell!” she called, watching Anne walk away. Turning back inside, she instructed her servants to make the parlor ready for her next guest. Lady Frances Cavendish would be arriving soon.

"Like the Artist." Anne made what seemed a natural connection from the surname used, "But you were drawing yourself as another in your instance."  she felt pleased with herself to have worked the pseudonyms meaning out. "Oh but you have so many persona's then. Doesn’t it get a bit confusing? I think I would get quite confused of it if it were myself!" 

.... but yes those were conversations for another day.  With a warm farewell the Duchess in sensible (though cheerily red) walking boots headed back out into the day. 

~ Fin!❤️

Next thread Here