JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Research at the Library Sunday Afternoon- Xmas 1677

Charles Whitehurst

Church was over.  Charles had spent time with Catherine and Sophia, absolving him of further obligations for the afternoon.  Now was the time to meet Susan Villiers in the library, as they had planned.  The spirit of the Lion had given them valuable clues as to the identity of the Swan and himself.  Now they just needed to put the pieces of the puzzle together to get a better picture.  Was the Lion murdered for more than adultery?  Why was the dagger so important?  Why would anyone care after so many years?  Had the attack on Tamsin been related somehow, or was it random?  How was Charles going to march into a private house, go upstairs, locate a hidden wall and recover a box of letters?  His skill was not stealth, so he would do it the soldierly way -- request assistance behind the threat of imprisonment.  It was his preferred approach anyway.

The library was often closed on Sundays, but not to a Major in the Life Guard or a Queen's lady.  Their access was assured.  It would mean, however, less of a chance of being disturbed by interlopers.

Closing the door behind him, Charles moved quietly along the carpeted floor to see if Susan was there yet.  If so, perhaps he might scare her.  He had a weakness for such things with ladies.

Susan was not in the library, but Charles would hear the soft sound of a lady's footsteps approaching. He might be able to scare her as she walked in, although if it wasn't her, he could wind up giving some other poor lady a fright. Was he willing to take the chance?

The door opened ...

There was a risk scaring someone that might not be his intended prey, so Charles did the smarter thing, or so he thought.  He hid from view of the door behind a bookcase, trying to peer through to see who might enter.  If t was Susan, as he suspected, he could scare her just as easily from a hidden place. 

Scaring a third person would not reflect well on him.  He was supposed to be an officer in the King's Life Guard and the commander of his own regiment.  One expected more refined reactions from such an officer. It was only with young ladies that he knew well that he could exercise such freedom.

It was, indeed, Susan Herbert who stepped through the door, carrying a stack of papers tied together with a turquoise ribbon. She was a bit later than she had hoped to be, for she had been poring over her research and had lost track of time. Looking around for Charles, she was disappointed when she didn't see him sitting at one of the tables waiting for her. She knew that he couldn't be in the archives already, because she had the key. Had he given up on her? If so, maybe he would check back later.

She began to walk down the center aisle toward the archives.

She had papers in her hand.  If he scared her, they might fly everywhere and then she would be right to chide him.  Still, it might be worth it to see the look on her face. Decisions decisions. Sadly, he was an earl and an officer.  It was difficult to harmonize childish behavior with serious responsibilities.  Maybe there was a middle ground? 

"Suuuusssaaaaan  Herrrrbeeert," he whispered in a manner intended to sound like a voice from the grave.  It might not scare her, but it could be good for a laugh.  He held his ground behind a bookcase waiting for her to come to him.

Susan paused and stood still when she heard her name whispered in the stereotypical fashion that people used when trying to imitate ghosts. She recognized Lord Langdon's voice. He's here after all and he's trying to scare me. Since there doesn't appear to be anyone in the library but the two of us, I think I'll play along.

“Oh!” she cried, setting her papers on a nearby table. “There's a ghost in here! I must hide.” Smirking in the direction from which the voice came, she turned around and disappeared down an aisle of bookcases, hoping that the handsome Earl would give chase.

Hide from a ghost?  Was that possible?  She surprised him initially but then he smiled as he thought more on it.  "Yoooouuuu ccaannnot hide frrooommm the ddeeaadd.  I haavvee coomme to ttaakkee yoooou."

Of course he needed to give chase, but ghosts needed to move slowly he imagined, so he creeped along in the direction of her voice, taking a stray book that he could use to throw in another direction to surprise her.  His mind imagined a few different scenarios for what he might do when he encountered her.

Susan couched behind a bookcase close to the back wall, surprised at the pleasant sensations that meandered through her young body when Lord Langdon said he had come to take her. Of course, she knew he didn't mean it like that, but intriguing images of the two of them locked in a passionate embrace cavorted through her mind anyway.

Charles would see a flash of blonde hair as she peeked around the corner.  She chuckled when she saw him creeping toward her, pretending to be a menacing spirit.  “Sorry, ghostie," she called, "but I'm not ready to go. So catch me if you can!”

She darted away again, toward the front of the library this time, and flattened herself behind another bookcase. Although she didn't realize it, one side of her voluminous skirt was sticking out a bit, a burgundy silk beacon that would alert Charles to her location.

It did not scare her; but then, he did not really expect he would.  Now Susan wanted to turn this into a hide and seek game.  Charles supposed that it might be a few minutes well spent. Games with ladies were always worth some of his time.

He heard movement, the rustle of her skirts would give him clues.  As he searched amongst the bookshelves, Susan's skirts gave herself away again.  They were too voluminous to hide.

Creeping along, Charles sought to either push a book through the shelf behind which she hid, or toss one so it would make a loud sound the other direction.  His goal was clear -- he would move beside her and either she would turn away from the bang of the book and move into his arms, or she would look that direction and he would surprise her from behind and wrap his arms around her.  Either way, he planned to announce "I have you now," in a gleeful way. 

Charles' plan worked like a charm. Susan turned in the direction of the fallen book, and made ready to flee in the opposite direction. However, the intriguing Earl was right behind her and she ran straight into his arms, her soft curves colliding with his hard angles. Laughing, she struggled halfheartedly against him. “What do you intend to do with me?" she asked. “Assuming that I don't get away?"

"Hah, I caught you," Charles declared with boyish zeal, proud of his trap sprung so easily.  As Susan pressed against him, he became distracted.  "If I was a ghost I would possess you I suppose; but, since I am not, you are my captive and you shall pay the price of ransom, which is a kiss"  He was not especially romantically inclined to Susan, preferring his devilish Davina instead, but she was pretty and she seemed to like kisses as much as any young lady and Charles was most accommodating in that regard.  At one point he was certain he would hold the title for most ladies kissed at court.-  He had racked up dozens in his brief career at court.  

Susan had an insane brother and a good brother.  The only sort of kiss he could afford was the most proper kind.

More pleasant sensations hummed within her as Lord Langdon spoke of possessing her, but Susan knew he didn't mean it in a romantic way. Nor was she the least bit disappointed. Charles had become a good friend, but unless he asked her brother to marry her, he could never be more. Philip was far too unpredictable and overprotective.  Showing interest in any gentleman would put them in danger. But she could have a bit of innocent fun with them, which was all this was, no matter how much she enjoyed being held in his arms.

“Very well,” she said and kissed him lightly and briefly on his lips. She knew no other kind of kissing. Gentlemen were cautious around her for the same reason that she was cautious around them … the malevolent shadow of her unstable brother's wrath.

“Satisfied now?” she asked, stepping away from him. “We should probably get down to business.” Susan was a bit hesitant to mention the spirit they had encountered in the secret underground room. It seemed almost like a dream to her now.

A kiss was a kiss for these purposes, so Charles let Susan leave the embrace.  "Yes, let us get to our research shall we?  I plan to visit the weaponsmith, but would like to know as much as possible before doing so."  He led her back to the papers she put down.

"Have you discovered anything yet?" he asked hopefully.  Time was ticking by and the season would be over soon.  He wanted to try and solve this mystery while court was still in session.

Susan picked up the stack of papers. “I've been going over my notes whenever I have time to myself, but I didn't discover anything useful until after Church today. Come, we can talk about it in the archives. Mr. Potts gave me the key. I think he believes that I'm doing research for the Queen.”

She began walking toward the back of the library. “We still have a lot of investigating to do.  I wish we could have discovered a bit more useful information from the Lion's spirit."  It was still difficult to believe that they had actually communicated with a real live ghost ... well, actually a real dead one. 

When they reached the door to the archives, Susan opened it, leading Charles inside. The tomes she had been poring over on their last visit were still on the table, along with the book about daggers. It appeared that nobody had used the archives since then.

Susan sat down, and shuffled through her papers. “I think I know the Lion's identity. There are only two men with the initials T. H who received a dagger. One was an Earl, so it can't be him." When she found the one she was looking for, she placed it in front of Charles and pointed to one of the names. “Sir Thomas Hilton. He received a dagger from the first forging in 1562. He wasn't a Baron then, but maybe he inherited the title from his father or was made one by the Queen. “We need to find a book of family genealogies to figure out if he's the right person.

"I hope we can find what we need today.  Tomorrow going to be busy because of the Queen's auction.  Will you be participating in it?"

As they walked into the back room, it seemed as though little had changed since his last visit.  "Is it wise to leave out your research?" Charles queried.  Now that the Lion had warned them of danger, they needed to be more careful.  As if sensing her thoughts, the young lord also found it odd to be speaking of communicating with ghosts.  "We learned a good amount."  He felt rather proud of his detailed yes or no questioning.  Another person might have learned nothing from flashes of a lantern.  To cover the oddness of the moment, Charles declared "I told you there were ghosts haunting the passages below."  He offered a smile though mostly to try and set the foundation for future attempts to scare her.

"Thomas Hilton," he repeated, happy to have a name at last.  "What was so important about him I wonder?"  Why all the danger and drama surrounding a man with no grand title?  "Perhaps he was fabulously wealthy," Charles ventured.  As for finding a book, the Earl was less skilled at such things.  "Perhaps we can ask Mister Potts.  He is good at such things.  There is a roster of the peerage of England.  Surely the Chancellor would keep it.  My own name is enrolled in it, as is your family."  The idea was coming to him now.  "The rolls could show the passage of any title he had to its current holder."  It would not prove that he was the Lion but it would reveal the man's heirs.  Maybe they would know something useful.  He looked to Susan for agreement.

As for the auction, he had not heard much about it.  "If the Queen wills it, I'll be there."  It would take valuable time away from the investigation, but Langdon enjoyed time with ladies.  "If no one bids on me, I hope you will cover for me … at least for a pound or two," he jested, trying to provoke her into a response.  "Of course, if no one bids on me, I'll be free to do more research."

Susan glanced at Charles thoughtfully. “Maybe I should have hidden the books where I could easily find them. I didn't think there was any harm leaving them out. Whoever is looking for the dagger must know exactly who the Lion was. And if we're in danger, then he must know who we are too. But we don't want him to know that we're looking into what happened that night long ago. Nobody has disturbed them, though, and if they had, I would ask Mr. Potts for the names of everyone who had been in the archives lately.” She frowned “I think he would take their names, because these documents are old and valuable and if anything is stolen, he'll know who to look for.  “I'll hide everything before we leave today.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “One ghost. Unless there are other bodies in hidden rooms, I doubt there are any others. And he might not be able to communicate with us again. When we have more information, I'd like to go back and see if he's still there, if you're willing to come with me.”

As to the importance of the Thomas Hilton: “There was probably as much drama going on in Queen Elizabeth's court as there is in our time. He may have only been important to the Swan and his own family. But somebody still remembers him or they wouldn't be searching for your dagger. It must be significant in some way.”

Susan had known there must be records of England's noble families somewhere. Charles seemed to know where that 'somewhere' was. “I'll ask him when I return the key to him. Maybe he can acquire it for me. I can tell him that I'm looking into my own family's history. Maybe there's something similar here that only lists families from Queen Elizabeth's reign. It will just take a lot of searching to find it.”

She smiled slyly at his remarks about the auction. “Oh, I'm sure you'll be very popular. I wouldn't be surprised if you raise the most donations of all.” She said nothing about whether she would bid on him or not. Let him wonder. “The lady who wins you will probably keep you too busy to do any research.”

The subject of danger animated Charles.  "Ask Potts if someone has been in here," he recommended.  "Also, do not go into town alone.  Let others know where you went.  If you are kidnapped by villains, I want to know where to start my search.  I will rescue you, fear not."  He was in the business of rescuing damsels in distress, or so it seemed at times.  "Just be careful."

"Potts should have the logs of the peerage for the time," he agreed.  "Best check with him."  They were getting closer now.

"Just one ghost," he mocked.  "If there is one, there could be hundreds.  Imagine all the poor wretches that died in agony down there," he played with her.  "They are probably now creeping their way up those dusty steps ... looking for vengeance."  Charles attempted to hide his amusement. 

As for the auction, he smiled at the thought of being popular.  "What is it exactly that we gents have to do when we are purchased?"  He supposed he should have inquired about the rules before volunteering, not that it would have dissuaded him.

Susan nodded. “I will ask him that as well when I return the key. There is a possibility that he won't tell me to protect their privacy. I'll have to come up with an explanation for wanting to know. Or maybe he will volunteer the information readily. We can hope.”

She flipped through the pages of her research again. “I usually take a bodyguard with me when I leave the palace, but it's still a good idea to let somebody know where I am.” Glancing up at him, she grinned. “I like to think I'm clever enough to free myself, but it's nice to know I can count on you if something does happen to me.” Susan was a practical girl, but she couldn't deny that the thought of Charles rescuing her was appealing. All young ladies, whether pragmatic or fanciful, dreamed of handsome knights in shining armor whisking them away from danger.

It looked as if a book listing all of the peerages in England would be their best chance of finding out the Baron's title. It might be able to tell them who the Swan was, as well. Her husband would be listed, as he must have been a high-ranking noble for her to be chosen as one of the Queen's ladies in waiting. “I'm going to give him the key tomorrow morning. I'll tell him I need the records right away. If he won't allow it out of the library, though, it might be Tuesday before I can take a good look at it.”

Susan shrugged when he asked what the gentlemen had to do for the ladies who won them. “I do not know. Her Majesty has said nothing about it, at least not in my presence. Maybe you have to do whatever the ladies say.” Once more, she grinned, this time a bit wickedly. “I hope the lady who purchases you doesn't ask you to do something like stand on your head and sing. Perhaps all she will want is a kiss.”

They needed to get back to business. “The Swan is going to be more difficult to find. The last time we were here, I wrote down the names of all the ladies-in-waiting around the time of each forging. Of the ones pertaining to the first forging, I found eight different names with the initials A. E. who served Queen Elizabeth from twenty years before the Lion received the dagger to twenty years after. Some were listed twice, so I don't know if those were all the same lady, or perhaps two from the same family, like a mother and daughter.”

Charles was not all that sure what Susan had done and how much work remained to find the answer.  His strengths did not lie in the realm of book research, so he was glad to have a partner that was good at it.  He could do the fighting and she could do the research,

He nodded as she outlined her plan.  It seemed reasonable enough.  "I was hoping there would be fewer ladies with those initials.  Might there be references to some estate or title in their letters somewhere?  He suggested.  "Surely there must have been a reference to her home or where she grew up."

As for the auction, "if they make me sing, others will donate more to make me stop," he jested.  "I hope not to compose poetry either, but flattery would be fine I suppose."  He was good at flattery.  "If I am forced by a lady to compose and I use the word swan in it, it will be for you," he added with a grin.  He reached for her hand to give it a squeeze.  "We are good partners in this adventure," he praised, hoping to keep her spirits up.  "What do you suggest I do next?"

• 2 weeks later...

Charles didn't seem very interested in the possible names of the Swan. They wouldn't be able to tell which one was her without more research and that was mostly Susan's department. She genuinely enjoyed poring through old tomes looking for information. Gentlemen were too restless. They preferred action over words.

“I've already looked through the letters for clues. They were very careful about not revealing much about their lives, as if they were afraid that their missives would be found. I wonder if the Swan's husband discovered them and that was why he had the Lion killed. It does seem rather strange that both sets of letters were in the box and that it was left behind when everything else of value was taken from the room.”

Susan laughed as he described his vocal talents, or lack thereof. “Oh, you can't be that bad.” She, like many of her Villiers relatives, sang quite well, though nobody every heard her except at Church. “I should tell the lucky lady who wins you to make you sing, so that the Her Majesty receives some extra donations.” She wasn't really looking forward to the auction herself, but she would be there for her mistress. Idly, she wondered if her brother Thomas would volunteer to be auctioned and how popular he would be.

“Then I hope she asks you for a poem,” Susan said with a playful smile. A golden eyebrow quirked upward when he took her hand and squeezed it. She made no effort to pull away. His grasp was warm and welcome. “Yes we are,” she agreed. As to what he should do next, she tilted her head sideways. “I would like to come with you to the house, so perhaps you should visit the weaponsmith first.”

"The husband would have burned the letters.  It is what I would have done," Charles declared emphatically.  "I would not have murdered him though," he added hastily.  "A duel perhaps."  Honor would demand as much.

"What if one of the Lion's family had him killed?" Charles mused aloud.  "They would have left him with his dagger and letters.  Perhaps he had dishonored his family when the liaison became known."  It seemed plausible to the Earl in that moment. 

"You are not coming with me," Charles replied quickly, though fought a laugh because she had been so insistent in the past.  "You are perhaps the bravest lady I know," he complimented, "but there is danger here.  I would never forgive myself if any harm befell you."  Nor would your brothers.  "A blackguard could pull a knife and put it to your throat and I would have to let him escape in the hope of saving you.  No, I need to be free to strike a brigand, or shoot him.  Fear not, I will relay the excitement of any adventure to you.  After all, how am I to explain to the house owner that I am on official business in tearing up his wall when I have a lady with me?"  More reasons to forbid her offer came by the moment.  My men and your brothers would draw the wrong ideas about our joint enterprise.  Charles was reminded of Anne Scott's thirst for adventure in this regard.  Was it something in the water that had women suddenly wanting to become heroines in the face of danger?

Susan's threats about the Queen's auction had Charles nervous for a moment.  How would he manage to avoid singing?  "Were you to do this Susan Herbert, I would get even with you.  I'm not sure yet what form it would take, but it would be most embarrassing I am certain."  It was a good-natured threat.  Obviously he would do nothing of the kind, but would exact his revenge in needling her.

“So maybe he didn't know about them then. Burning would be the best way to destroy the evidence. Since they were planning to run away together, perhaps they put their letters in the box for safekeeping and so they could look back on them when they were old.” Susan sighed sadly. “But they never got that chance.”

Her brows furrowed thoughtfully when Charles suggested that the Lion's own family had murdered him. They had been focused on the Swan's husband because he had the most to lose, but disgrace was also a good motive. Maybe if the Queen had discovered that he was planning to run off with one of her married ladies, his entire family would have been banished from court, particularly if the Swan's husband was a powerful and influential man.

“It's definitely possible,” she admitted. “Or it could have been the Swan's family if she told one of them she was pregnant with her lover's child. They would want him out of the picture so that her husband would believe that the baby was his. Without the Lion, the Swan would have no choice but to stay with her husband.”

Susan rolled her eyes when he forbade her to accompany him to the house that had once been an inn. She appreciated his caution and protectiveness, but she didn't think that there would be any trouble. “It's a house, Charles. The family who lives there now is probably not related to either the Lion or the Swan. Since we have the letters, the person or people who mean us harm most likely don't know about the inn.

“I think they would be more alarmed if you show up in an official capacity and demand to tear down a wall. What if they ask for proof of your mission? What if they tell their acquaintances and the King hears about it? If the two of us go together in disguise and explain that we think that our ancestors hid something there when it was an inn, they may be more inclined to let us do it, providing we pay for the repairs to the wall.”

She smiled slyly at Charles' vow to get even with her if she asked the lady who won him to make him sing. “I promise I won't do it if you take me to the house with you.” She had no intention of doing it anyway, and he could change his mind after the auction and go without her, but it sounded like a good plan to her.

The possibilities were numerous.  The obvious path was not always the correct one, or so he had learned in his brief life,

She still wanted to accompany him to the house.  Why the insistence?  "What would your brothers say about me taking you to a house alone, even with your maid in tow?  I had not thought about making a request and offering money.  If he sees our attire, his price will be exorbitant."  It was one of the challenges of being a lord -- the price for anything was thrice what it was for anyone else.  "If he says no we are left without recourse," Charles explained.  "If, instead, I show up with soldiers and offer to pay for any damage we cause, then he has little ability to deny me.  And, the cost will be more reasonable." 

In truth, Charles had thought only of barging his way in, relying on his uniform to excuse everything.  It was how things were done when one had power.  There was little regard for any abuse that might result.  Susan had convinced him to be more civil and offer compensation up front.  'You will miss nothing.  The old house will be nothing worth seeing, or my men digging a hole in a wall.  You'll wish to see the contents of the box, rather than the labor to procure it.  And it is safer this way.  I want to not risk your safety in any way."  She would be hardpressed to refuse, or so he imagined.

Susan couldn't repudiate Charles' logic. It would not go well for him if she was seen in his company and Philip found out about it. If she accompanied him, he would be in more danger than she would, even if the house was full of miscreants. In her excitement to find out what the hidden chest contained, she had forgotten all about her brother's unpredictable rages. She would have to stay behind. It was the only option she had.

She sighed in disappointment. “Well, I thought we might disguise ourselves as siblings, the children of a wealthy merchant, perhaps. But we look nothing alike and if the owner remembers our faces and see us at another court event, then they'll know we were lying to them. From what I've heard, the house has been completely remodeled and it's quite grand. A noble family probably lives there.

“I guess your way makes the most sense. Just send me a note letting me know what you found.  I'd like to see it as soon as possible."

A mischievous smile hovered upon her lips. “But since you will not be taking me along with you, I make no promises about the auction.”

Charles had prevailed in the debate.  He paused to savor the moment.  It was not often that he won when negotiating with ladies he liked.

"Of course," he promised.  He would share what he learned.  Being in disguise with her as siblings sounded like fun, but would look all the more guilty to her crazed brother Philip.  "Let us plan to get together here on Wednesday at the same time," he suggested.  That would give him time to attempt the visit. 

"Very well.  I shall rely on the kindness of the ladies that wins me in the auction."  After all, how bad could it be? 

Charles wouldn't have won if Susan had a less volatile brother. She would have found a way to join him, perhaps by finding out when he was going and surprising him by getting there before he did. He wouldn't have been able to turn her down if she was already there. But she didn't want to endanger him. He might be defeat criminals, but she didn't think he would stand a chance against Philip. She certainly didn't want a duel fought over her.

“On Wednesday?” She sounded more than a bit disappointed. “I must wait that long? When do you plan on going to the house?”

She said nothing more about the auction. It would play out however the Queen wished it to.

He needed to provide an excuse why he would need to wait until Wednesday.  "My manservant is getting married tomorrow to one of the other servants," Charles began to explain.  "I agreed we would have a party.  Then, in the afternoon, I have to attend an outing with the Duke of Cumberland and other military men.  Then, I want to visit the weaponsmith before I visit the house," he continued.  "Oh, and there is the Queen's auction.  So, I do not expect to obtain a result until the end of the day Tuesday, which means we cannot likely get together until Wednesday, unless we meet in secret at night," he laughed, thinking of her brother.

Susan thought it was kind of Charles to throw a wedding party for his servants. Most nobles she knew didn't care about the personal lives of their attendants. She wasn't particularly close to her own maidservant, who did her job dutifully but didn't seem interested in revealing anything about her personal life.

She had heard about the military gathering. He certainly wouldn't want to miss that. And he still had to go to the weaponsmith and then the house. It seemed that he planned on doing both on Tuesday. So there was really no choice but to wait until Wednesday. “There's only so much sneaking away I can do before I'm caught,” she replied, aware that Charles was only joking about meeting at night. “I guess I will just have to wait.”

Standing up, Susan moved to one of the walls full of bookshelves and began perusing the titles of the tomes that sat upon them. “If you find out anything before the auction, will you tell me then?” she asked, throwing a playful grin over her shoulder. “Or do I have to win you first?”

"Well, I would not want you caught," he replied, knowing he feared Philip more than he feared the Queen's reaction.

"If we can get a moment alone at the auction and I know something, I will tell you.  Maybe we have a signal.  If I unbutton my waistcoat and then button again quickly, it will be a sign that I know something.  How we get a chance to speak privately will be a challenge unless you are the high bidder."   He was sure they would think of something.

“Unless you're the one who catches me?” Susan's blue eyes glittered teasingly. He had caught her once today already.

“Just make certain I'm looking your way when you do it,” she advised. “People will talk if I stare at you all evening. They won't think I'm waiting for a sign.” One of those busybodies might mention that she seemed enamored of him to Philip. A ghost would be the least of their problems then.

“I'll probably be there quite some time before it begins, so if you arrive early too, we might have a chance to talk before the beginning of the auction.” Susan didn't plan on bidding at all, also because of her brother. The only way she would do it is if he specifically told her who she should try to win.