JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Research at the Library Sunday Afternoon- Xmas 1677

Charles Whitehurst

"Did you like it then?" he teased back about being caught.  Apparently so.  He offered a smile but decided to say nothing suggestive that leapt to mind.  He knew to keep things proper with her.  He wanted to make a comment about her staring at him.  Charles knew what he would say to Catherine had she made the same quip.  He needed to be more careful with Susan.  It would be a mistake to lead her to think things that he was not prepared to do.

"Yes, before the bidding begins.  Surely there will be time to mingle."  It might be just a brief exchange that they could hazard, but Charles expected that he could give her the gist of what he learned.  It seemed like it was time to retreat.  "Keep searched the text for the Swan's name," he urged.  The soldier would be doing the soldering and the scholar of the pair would do the reading.  It seemed a good division of labor.

“I didn't say that,” Susan retorted. In truth, she had enjoyed his brief embrace and she had liked kissing him too. She didn't want to encourage him, for while she adored flirting and teasing Charles, their relationship must remain strictly platonic. A pragmatic young woman, she knew that leading men on, even just for fun, could start gossip that would stain her reputation. Other ladies she had known had been ruined for less.

“Very well. I will look for you.” The pretty blonde grinned. “Did you know that the ladies will be masked during the auction?  I already have mine … it's feathered and white and represents a swan. So if you see the Swan approaching you, don't flee because you think I'm a ghost.”

It appeared as if Charles was ready to leave. “I will. I have a couple of hours free, but I don't think I'll find anything specific until I look into the book of peerages, assuming that Mr. Potts allows it.” Turning away from the bookshelf, she stepped toward the Earl and squeezed both his hands. “Be careful, Charles. I don't want anything to happen to you.”

Charles let the subject of embraces drop.  It had caused enough smiles and awkward moments.

"Swan feathers," he acknowledged with a smile.  "You are my swan," he uttered without thinking that it might have more meaning.  His mind pictured her with a mask.  Charles had a strange fascination to women wearing masks.  He was abnormally excited by such.  It was not something he could explain.  He needed to stop thinking about Susan in a mask ... or Davina ... or just about any lady.  Perhaps he'd give Catherine a mask, if she did not think it an insult.

Brought out of his reverie as Susan took his hands, he gave the pretty blond a reassuring smile.  "I scoff at danger," he assured her with a laugh.  "Fear not, nothing shall keep me from you."  With that he lifted one of her hands to his lips for a farewell kiss.  "Until I see my swan."  He turned to leave, thinking that the reference to the swan was one related to the mask.  He began his stroll away.

She was his swan? Charles' words sent pleasant sensations shimmering down her spine, but Susan didn't think he meant it the way he sounded. He was most likely just jesting with her. “And you are my lion,” she replied casually. “It's too bad that the gentlemen are not going to be masked as well. You could wear a lion disguise.”

She sighed when he said he scoffed at danger. That attitude was what got people into it in the first place. One should always be cautious and not overconfident. Susan hoped that he was only trying to reassure her. He lifted one of her hands and kissed it, sending yet another little thrill fluttering through her. She wanted him to leave now. Her emotions were confusing her and she was afraid that if he pulled her into his arms and kissed her passionately, she wouldn't want to pull away.

“I shall see you tonight, my lord,” she said formally. “If I learn anything useful today, I will tell you about it then.” And so she let him go and turned back to the bookshelves, a little smile hovering on her lips as she thought of him.

Charles did not attach much significance to her claim that he was her lion.  He had treated the matter informally.  It was only natural that she should be his swan and he her lion.  It was almost as if the Lion's spirit had selected the two to play their parts in an ensuing drama.  "I could roar when I see you," he laughed.

"Until this evening my swan," he bade her upon his leave taking.  His mind was already diverted to the weaponsmith and his plan of attack.

finis :)