JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Caroline & Ranelagh- Xmas 1677

Defiance

Ranelagh, Rowland, and Caroline

And then their witty...or at least suggestive repartee was interrupted with another man's voice, Caroline glanced to see Ranelagh smiling after zinging Rowland a good one.

"Good evening to you too, sir," Caroline nodded acknowledgement then smiled.

It seemed she was needed for something important? What was this all about?

"This better not be regarding mice because I have had my share of such nonsense already," Caroline replied sarcastically, he probably wouldn't be aware of what she meant by it.

"Important mission is it? Well, I am simply agog with anticipation, tell us....what is it I am needed for?" she awaited a fuller explanation.

"Well I cannot fault you for not wishing to put up with nonsense which is why secret missions need only be spoken of far away from both mice and boys," Ranelagh said of Alston with a chuckle.

"I should not wish you to become a joke for moustachioed misfits either," he said, offering his arm and shooing Alston off with the other hand. Rank and age had benefits.

Once they were away, he added. "Such is not nearly good enough for friends of our friends and especially not for the friends of our Misrule!"

"Ahh so this secret mission must even be discussed in privacy? Even more intriguing," Caroline agreed to go with him but she was deeply suspect it was all a sham so he could take her someplace private and they would then have a quick tryst. Did he think she was that naive?

"Me, a joke? Who says this? That I am a joke?" she certainly did not like to hear that but again she was dubious about the source.

They quickly got outside of earshot of other ball goers and then he continued, saying something about 'friends of our friends' and mentioning Nicci.

"The Mistress of Misrule and I are the closest of friends, I have no doubts about Nicci. But I wish you would get to the point now that we are only the two of us in this guarded conversation. What is this secret mission?" apparently she needed to pin the man down.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Ranelagh led her away, but not far enough away to be considered instigating of a tryst. Instead, he seemed only to be rid of the younger man.

"Hopefully no one," the earl replied, with a smile. "It is simply that your friend and his friends are somewhat known for such juvenile things, and why indulge mere boys, anyway."

He chuckled, "Though perhaps it is different for a lady, for gentlemen there is rarely anything of quality to be gained from his youth. Which is to say not worth the potential idiocy."

And Ranelagh knew first hand as well. Not with any of Alston's friends, surely, but Ranelagh enjoyed both sexes.

"The secret mission was to get rid of Alston, but if you quest for a mission, perhaps you'd like to join me in seeing what some of the palace occupants are getting up to from quite the secret vantage point?" The curve of his lips betrayed a sense that it was truly quite the offer. Considering he was one of the king's gentlemen, he might know something rather extraordinary.

• 4 weeks later...

ooc: I totally lost track of this one...sorry.

He led her away from where they had been standing but did not attempt to leave the main ballroom, apparently it was to merely extend the distance from his assumed rival for her attention.

"I do not automatically dismiss boys, they can have such energy and naivety which can be almost infectious. Or they can be dolts, I have not decided which he is yet," Caroline shrugged, she really was quite young herself afterall.

Turned out there was no secret mission as she well had suspected. He then named his real motive...well, what he said was his real motive. Who knew what one could believe from him for certain?

"Oh? You mean like secret rooms? Or....peepholes? To spy on the unwary and thus unguarded? Now this I would be interested in...........I mean just to see how it looks from that side, you know," Caroline confessed her willingness to explore this bit of entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ranelagh grinned and nodded at her willingness to be adventuresome, and voyeuristic.

"Then shall we go for a walk, my lady?" he asked, offering her his arm.

He leaned in and added, "Though I will have your promise that you will not share their secrets, for one could get into quite a situation caught back there without leave. They are for Household and servants' use and we do have some zealots guarding the palace." He chuckled, thinking of Lightening Langdon and his penchant for arresting everyone.

"There are a few parlours that are likely occupied with revelers in secret, and you are in luck that I know the best ones!"

• 3 weeks later...

Caroline agreed to his voyeur suggestion which delighted the man who then suggested they go for a walk, offering his arm to her. She linked up with him without hesitation and off they went. He did however ask a favor of her, not to reveal to others what they might soon spy on this secretive jaunt.

"Certainly, I shall sew my lips shut on the whole matter. You may rely upon my discretion," Caroline nodded agreement.

Well, at least for now she meant it but if it was a really interesting coupling then she just might

share such delicious news with her best friend, Nicci. In utmost confidence of course.

"It sounds like I am indeed fortunate, I hope the reality matches your buildup, good sir, for you certainly have me intrigued by now," she grinned, letting him lead her to wherever they were going. He was the one who knew this huge palace, certainly not her.

• 3 weeks later...

Ranelagh did not care if she spoke of the couplings, he was rather more concerned she not share the passages. They were far from public knowledge. He had no idea she had taken him differently.

The earl led them down one corridor and then another. Then two lefts and a right. Whitehall was something of a maze. That or he was being cheeky.

He pushed a tapestry aside and opened a panel into a dark passageway. Every so often light came in through small holes, but it was very dark.

"Keep hold of my hand," he instructed. "It is a bit narrow but there should not be anything to trip on. If so, I shall be the one to find it." He chuckled.

A few moments and he stopped. "Here, I think. Truly a candlestick is advisable..." The fact that he could navigate without much light at all spoke that he had been back here quite often.

He felt about on the wall and then slid a small piece of wood aside, revealing holes. "Ladies first."

All palaces had such secret places Caroline suspected but this was her first personal experience with going thru what seemed to her unfamiliar eyes a literal maze of dark passageways. Fortunately he knew what he was doing. Obviously he must have done this sort of thing quite often to be so familiar, she reasoned.

Ranelagh requested she take his hand and she immediately did so, he assured her if there was something on the floor to trip them, he'd find it first.

"How brave of you, lead on," she whispered..

She had no idea how long this little journey lasted but finally he stopped, commented about the utility of a candlestick but obviously was doing fine without a light. At last he slid a piece of wood on the wall a few inches revealing some peep holes. Fascinating! Caroline grinned then nodded as he, being the gentleman, reminded her that it was 'ladies first'. She placed one eye by the first hole and took her first look.

ooc: I have no idea what she would be seeing. Little help here.

• 1 month later...

As Caroline looked up to the peep holes, she would see a well-appointed parlour. It had green furniture. As her eyes moved across the room, she would see three gentlemen speaking in low voices. It was hard to see who is was, but one she might recognize as John Ashburnham.

Ranelagh, eager to know if there was anything good going on asked in a whisper, "Well, any revelers?"

• 4 weeks later...

"Yes, there are. Three of them....all men. Oh....and I am quite certain of one is Ashburnham," she whispered to Ranelagh, "The light is not good though."

She stepped aside, "See if you can recognize any of them."

Were they waiting for some women? Otherwise if it was simply to talk why go thru all the trouble to do it in some secret chamber? Of course there could be other explanations too - were they interested in each other, in males? Her now deceased husband had had a fondness for boys but certainly not her!

It was too dark for Caroline to see Ranelagh's expression. He did make a hmm noise as she said Ashburnham.

"Could be anything..." Ranelagh said. "One looks like it might be his cousin...but they are too far to hear. Quite boring, really. Do you know aught of Ashburnham?"

Moving away from the peep holes, he offered them to her again while asking, "Shall we venture further? Or do you wish to see what sort of intrigue they are about?"

"Oh his cousin...makes sense," she nodded then pondered for a moment on his question before replying to that.

"I do not know much about him. Do you? I am all ears if you wish to illuminate me," she smiled.

Ranelagh left her with a choice to make, move on or linger and see if what this trio was up to.

"Let us spy a bit longer. Sometimes one needs patience when observing people, do you not agree?" she peeked in again.

"Other than his family is filthy rich?" Ranelagh said with a stifled laugh. A bark of laughter would give them away, and he didn't want that! 

"The Ashburnhams have a monopoly on all tapestry in the country. Every. Single. One." Considering tapestry was how one helped keep things warm and showed off wealth, it was an amazing monopoly to have. "One doesn't come across such an arrangement from the crown for little reason."

Though Caroline could not see his expression, his eyebrow was raised as if such a thing was surely telling. "The Ashburnhams also shared wardship of the Duke of Monmouth and helped do the best to raise that brazen idiot that was possible. Curious, isn't it?" That was a lot of honours for a family of gentlemen, no peerage attached. 

"I think His Majesty has rhythm to his actions." 

"Interesting indeed. Mayhaps the crown chooses to shower such favors on the family because of their lack of high rank...less of a threat in the even of some still to come upheaval?" was the only thing Caroline could think of. Rebellions and ensuing treasons did happen in every realm on occasion so any wise King had to consider such things when he doled out rewards and benefits.

"Speaking of his majesty, how close are you to him? I am curious about something......." she would not reveal the topic until she heard his answer.

• 2 weeks later...

"Far deeper than that, Dearie. The Ashburnhams were close to His Majesty's father too. Do you notice how tall dear John is in comparison to his cousin? Curious too that John is a relation of Buckingham and yet...other than his fine skin and shapely legs...does not have their blond hair or auburn hair or any other of their physical traits. You notice very few Villiers relations with nearly black hair." Although Ranelagh was unaware, there were some of them but not many. 

He hmmed in the darkness, taking out a flask and having a long sip. He held it out to her, pressing it toward her body so she could feel it. 

A few words did trickle their way. "I think he is too foolish to abide it. I am going to have to go there, I fear." It was John's voice

"Now isn't the time."

"I cannot pretend I did not receive the letter," he replied.

• 2 weeks later...

The man had not answered her inquiry about the King  but he did press a flask up to her and Caroline was not one to turn down a alcoholic libation.

"Thank you," she took a healthy swig as they listened in on the discussion going on.

It was something about a letter but that in itself told her almost nothing. Though none of the trio seemed pleased by the subject matter of their conversation. So it probably wasn't a good thing, this letter. Caroline decided she might as well keep up with their eavesdropping and said nothing, just listened.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

Whilst she drank, Ranelagh waited for a lull in the conversation inside before he replied to her query. 

"I should say that I am as close to His Majesty as any," the earl supplied. Then he added with more realism, in a way that suggested she were special for hearing such candor, "I am close to the King in that I am more than simply a courtier to him, more then a useful minister, but I am not the King's friend though he certainly might make it appear so." He chuckled and said, "I am a part of his merry circle, but there are many closer. Why?"

He had his own motives for not taking full advantage of the question. The most obvious was that any idiot would claim to be close just to claim so, and Ranelagh was not a man who wished himself associated with "any idiot." 

In the pause between conversation, a sentence could be heard, "But you could tell---" and then the interjection, "Do not say so. I cannot. I must somehow ensure that he does not do anything stupid."

Caroline was torn between listening to the ongoing conversation in the other chamber and also following Ranelagh's belated answer to her inquiry. His reply won out.

"Oh I see, I am curious if you might be able to intercede for me with His Majesty about a certain matter - nothing of major import, nothing involving the safety of the realm or - lest you think - even something that will prove beneficial to me personally. No, I am trying to intercede for a young girl who I believe to need whatever help she can garner."

She paused as if to think then added, "If not you then mayhaps you could point me to someone who might."

"I would be eternally grateful," she batted those big puppy eyes of hers.

Ranelagh blinked. If the mademoiselle's challenge was to be met, there surely seemed to be steep costs! If there was any light, she might have seen the surprise on his face. Then his eyebrow raise. Then his lips parts. Then a furrowed 'hmmm' of the brow. Instead, that was all invisible in the darkness just as much as the voices in the other room faded away with their conversation.

"A young girl? And, pray tell, what is the situation that you would ask this of me, a man you barely know?" It was said curiously, his tone unmistakable, even in the darkness. "You are concerned of something? A marriage perhaps?"

"Tis true I barely know you but you know His Majesty far better than I do...although he did show me some interest in a previous encounter I will admit. But I feel you are indeed an honorable man and that I can trust you, unless I am mistaken in my assessment?" Caroline paused to let that sink in as she sought to lock eyes with him.

"I am concerned about her very safety. I feel she is caught up in something she cannot control and it is spiraling ever downward. So it is I am trying to help her in whatever fashion I can. "

She now softly added, "I would owe you for this help of course and I can always be counted upon to show my gratitude. Tit for tat...as the saying goes?"

Caroline felt he would get the insinuation there.

• 3 weeks later...

Ranelagh looked at her in the darkness, though he could see nothing. It was something of a balm to know that she could not see anything either. This was not what usually happened when he brought a lady, or a man, into the corridors.

"As long as you are not wishing me to kidnap someone," he replied, offering a chuckle to ease the situation.

"In all seriousness, you ask me about His Majesty and if I shall help a girl, but you are telling me very little to make sense of it. What concern should the King have of it?" After a pause he added, "I should confess, I have limited experience with brigands." He was not known for his swashbuckling. He was no coward. He was an adequate swordsman. But he would rather not deal with that darkness of life. 

"To be blunt I wish I could kidnap someone but I am far too law abiding to do such a thing," Caroline replied with a giggle. Actually she wouldn't attempt that because she was afraid she would be caught, make that almost a certainty she would and had no stomach for the consequences.

The man wanted more details. She supposed he had a right to them given she was trying to enlist him into her little liberation campaign.

"Lord Langdon has as his ward, Frances, a sweet young thing who is very very unhappy to be under his thumb. She even ran away to live on the streets and hinted quite strongly to me Langdon was.....well hardly suitable to be raising her. I saw something in the girl from our first meeting....I believe her. And trust me, I am normally rather jaded and cynical when it comes to believing people. I reached out to help and Langdon not only grew hostile to me but tightened the screws even worse on Frances. I am certain our good Majesty wanted Frances to have a ward not a jailer."

"Truly I am not out to make an enemy of Langdon, my concern is with this young lady and her future happiness. If necessary I would even offer to take her in myself. I was raised by a mother who truly loved me so I think I would know how to raise her."

Well, if you put aside the whole alcoholic libertine side of her.......  

Ranelagh had to cover his mouth to keep from bursting out into laughter. He did make a loud enough noise that he was sure they would hear it in the next parlour. That and those gentlemen knew the passageways as well. He took her arm and led her a little further down the corridor to attempt to avoid discovery, just in case.

He listened to her story. 

Then he replied, "You might have a difficult time of that unless you go about it carefully. Lightening Langdon is popular with the King, who enjoys teasing him mercilessly. It is usually a relation or the King who made the arrangements to begin with." He paused, "But if you wish to speak to His Majesty about it, a pretty lady such as you should have little problem doing so. I could let you know of any good opportunities for it if that helps."

He warned her that it would not be easy but also pointed out that someone like herself should indeed be able to speak with the King about this. It would just be a matter of being in his company at the right time. And he was apparently willing to assist her in finding that opportunity. This was some progress at least.

"Oh thank you, I would really appreciate your help on this. I would be forever grateful to you," she assured him, let him interpret that last part as he wished.

"I will do what I can," Ranelagh agreed. 

"Shall we rejoin the party? If the gents in the parlour heard anything or came looking, we likely would have crossed their paths by now, but we should take another way out in case they are watching to see who comes out. Besides, I would not wish to harm your reputation." He wagged his brows thought she could not see.

"The bells might be ringining the in the New Year soon as we shall miss it!"

He agreed to help her. Now whether he actually meant to follow thru, that was obviously something only the future would reveal but Caroline realized that she had at least gotten something positive out of her effort. It would have to do for now.

"Thank you and yes...we can rejoin the party. This little jaunt was most educational too," she replied.

"As for my reputation, I am a libertine, which means I already have a reputation with those who are also libertines and those who are not and are probably heartily disgusted with me and my ilk," Caroline grinned unabashed over such worries.

"So let's go listen to those bells then," she accompanied him on out.

(Let's rejoin the main thread after this post, there the bells will be ringing and we can wrap up with everyone else 😄 )

"Just so, that doesn't mean you wish tongues wagging that we've just fucked in the secret corridors if we haven't. Although, perhaps you do," he chuckled and then led the way out into a different corridor. He blinked to adjust his eyes now that they were in a hallways that was illuminated. Nobody else was there so it seemed they made it without observation either way.

As they walked back to the ball room, Ranelagh said, "Are you certain you might not have more success having a more proper lady of your acquaintance beg the Queen to intervene? Or even try yourself or mention the matter to one of the ladies close to her? Besides, at court, it is best to have more than one scheme in case another does not work to your advantage."

He winked and as they walked back in the bells were ringing and people were toasting and kissing and hand-shaking.

Ranelagh had another possible tactic to suggest. Caroline listened and considered it for a moment.

"Well, I am not certain which lady I should approach. My best friend is trying to cozy up to the King so I highly doubt the Queen would listen to anything she would have to suggest. And while I am not certain how true it is, I have heard rumors that the Queen is quite anti-French. You see most people seem to regard me as French even though I was not born in France and spent virtually no time at all in France. My early childhood was spent in Denmark and soon after we moved to England where I have been ever since," she explained. She did leave out the detail that her father was born in France.

"But thank you for the suggestion, perhaps I need to give that further thought," the young lady blinked a few times getting used to the brighter light as they emerged out of the tunnels. The celebration was on.

"I need a drink in my hand, if we are to toast this new year, do you not agree?" she grinned.

OOC: I'm fine with ending this one right here if you are.

Edited by Caroline Despanay

• 4 weeks later...