JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Strategy | 01/01, morning- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

The Toledo Residence

Sophia stepped back to study her handiwork, her head tilted slightly to the side. The ivory chess set she had bought for Esteban at the Curiosity Shop sat on its exotic spotted pelt on the largest table in the drawing room. The fur hung a bit over the sides, and it was a little crooked. She went to adjust it, careful not to disturb the beautifully carved pieces that had been set in their proper places. The young Baroness didn't know much about chess, but she did know where each piece was supposed to go, or at least she thought she did. She hoped that she had not gotten them all wrong.

Her husband had told her that he would teach her how to play, but he had not yet asked her to join him for a game. Maybe this gift would remind of the promise he had made to her. If she had a knack for it, perhaps he would take her more seriously. Strategy was an important part of politics, and if he discovered that she learned quickly and well, he might open up to her more. And it would give them an excuse to spend more time together. She knew so little about him, and he didn't seem too interested in her either, except to make sure she behaved properly.

Sophia was still in a cheerful mood after her interlude with Lord Arundel last night, and she believed that everything would go well and that Esteban would appreciate such a splendid gift. Walking over to the servant standing by the door, she asked him to find her husband and tell him that she was waiting for him in the drawing room.

As the man disappeared down the hall, Sophia returned her attention the chess set, a smile curving her lips as she waited for her husband to arrive.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ambassador had slept in. It was not long after the servant was sent that Esteban entered. He was already dressed. He was wearing a wine colored velvet coat.

"Good morning wife," he greeted Sophia. "Happy New Year." His features were normal, not exhibiting either happiness or anger. "What are your plans today?"

Hearing the steady cadence of footsteps approaching from the hall, Sophia turned toward the door, hoping that they belonged to her husband and not to a servant with a message that Esteban could not join her. She let out a soft sigh of relief as he strode through the door and noted with interest that he was not attired completely in black this morning. His wine velvet coat complimented the olive tone of his skin and his dark hair. Had he finally taken the subtle hints she had been dropping since their marriage that other hues would flatter him? She rather hoped that adding color to his wardrobe was one of his New Year's resolutions.

He greeted her in his usual aloof manner. Being affectionate to his wife was obviously not on his list of resolutions. He had nobody but himself to blame for her affair with Lord Arundel. If he had shown fondness for her and made love to her often, she would never have been tempted to cheat on him.

Or would she have done it anyway?

The petite singer needed passion in her life and she was not sure that he would be able to provide it even if he loved her. Juan more than made up for Esteban's lack of ardor, and Sophia felt a bit guilty for not remaining faithful to him. She tried to rationalize her remorse by telling herself that her royal lover had never specifically asked her to be true to him, but deep in the back of her mind, she knew that he expected it. Yet still she planned to meet Henry Howard again on Tuesday. And if she could manage to sneak away with Lord Dundarg or Lord Chatham …

Directing her thoughts back to the present, she smiled warmly at Esteban, her jubilant mood undiminished. “Happy New Year to you too, dear husband. I plan on going to the sled races this afternoon. Will you be coming with me?” She rather hoped that he would decline so that she might be able to enjoy herself in the company of her friends without worrying about doing something that would anger him. Maybe she could even join the race.

She said nothing about the beautiful ivory chess set sitting on the drawing room table, but she did glance over at it, hoping to bring it to his attention.

Who or what was responsible for Sophia straying from her husband's bed was something best left to others. It would be doubtful that Esteban would see it the same way.

"Si, I thought it might be entertaining for the two of us to go. I am told that the King shall join as well." So much for Sophia being free to get into mischief this day.

His eyes traveled to the chess set and he seemed intrigued by it. "What is this?"

Maybe one reason she strayed from her husband's bed was that he was never in it, at least not with her. Whether he would be able to satisfy her even if he shagged her three times a day and four on Sunday was impossible to say.

Ever the consummate actress, Sophia was easily able to hide her disappointment. She even feigned happiness with a sanguine smile. “I'm glad you will be joining me.” Sled races didn't seem like the type of thing he would enjoy, but since he mentioned the King, perhaps he was hoping to speak to him.

As she wasn't going to be able to avoid him, maybe she could convince him to be a bit adventurous. In her opinion, His Majesty was more likely to favor people who weren't afraid … or too pompous … to participate in the more daring court events. “Why don't the two of us join the races? We'll make a good team and it will be fun.” With a sly smile, she added: “It may even impress the King if we join in. He knows that we are both accustomed to warmer climates, so he will not expect it.”

Finally, his gaze lit upon her gift, and the sight of it seemed to please him. Impulsively taking his hand, she led him over to it. With her free hand, she softly stroked the spotted fur it sat on. “Happy Christmas, Esteban. Or Merry New Year.”

Presenting Christmas gifts on New Year's Day was a bit confusing to a girl who had lived in a country where gifts were given on Christmas Day. The Spanish had a completely different tradition, similar to that of Italy. But now that they were in England, it was that country's customs that needed to be followed. In order to be accepted and trusted, an Ambassador and his family needed to fit in and not hold stubbornly to their own ways.

Idly, she wondered if he'd bought a gift for her.

Esteban seemed to consider the thought of entering the sled race. "Perhaps we should,"

When Sophia mentioned the gift, his visage relaxed ad his eyes softened, his fingers running over one of the pieces. "Gracias my wife. I have something for you too." He turned to signal the manservant to fetch the box on his desk.

It took but a moment for the servant to return. The gift box was handed to Sophia. Inside was a clear piece of quartz that surrounded what looked to be a heart-shaped red garnet. "I thought it was pretty and rare, like you are dear." The quartz might measure six inches across. The garnet was small. There might be symbolism to the piece, but he said nothing of it.

So he did want to catch the King's attention. Sophia certainly didn't think he wanted to impress her. He never did. Unless she did something that displeased him or he wanted her to throw a party, he treated her mostly as an afterthought. “Yes,” she exclaimed, clapping her hands enthusiastically. “Who knows? We might even win! Wouldn't that be splendid?”

She noticed how his cool demeanor seemed to thaw when he realized that the chess set was her gift to him. Her heart swelled in her chest as she watched him stroke one of the ivory pieces. For once in her life, she had actually made him happy! And he didn't even ask how much it had cost. Maybe this gift would incite a positive change in their relationship.

And he had a gift for her too! Since he sent a servant to fetch it, it was obviously not a piano, which was what she wanted above all else. Still, he had thought of her, which was a miracle in itself. Sophia took the box the servant handed her and opened it. The heart-shaped garnet encased in crystal was quite lovely.

Her heart leapt again when he called her pretty and rare. Was that how he really saw her or was he being nice because it was the first day of the New Year? Setting the box on the table beside the chess board, she lifted the quartz and held it up so that it sparkled in the sunlight splashing through the window. She wished she could touch the garnet, but it was trapped inside its crystal prison. Is he trying to tell me something? she wondered abruptly. Does he expect me to lock my heart away so that nobody can ever touch it?

Sophia banished those foolish thoughts and lifted her head while she stood on the tips of her toes. Her lips brushed lightly against his. “Es hermoso, querido esposo. Gracias.”*

*It's beautiful, dearest husband. Thank you.

"We should certainly try to win," he agreed. They would be racing for the honor of Spain afterall.

He was glad she liked her gift. It was expensive because it was so unusual. He had found himself staring at it when it was shown to him, so he had purchased it. He had not been able to locate something appropriate for a singer, so he had settled for something eye-catching.

"I am glad you like it," Esteban replied. He had feared that she would think the gift beneath her; but then, she was a good actress. She played her role well by calling him dear husband, which was less than sincere.

There was another topic to discuss with her, but he did not know how best to broach it. It would not be pleasant, so he chose to ignore it for now. He would use the official news instead. "I have received disturbing news from Madrid. It seems that the English in Jamaica are allied with the French in Tortuga and are raiding Spanish settlements again, and supporting piracy. King Charles has turned a blind eye to these acts in the past, and I have little doubt that he will continue to do so, though I shall need to register a series of complaints once the holiday is over." He told her not because she would understand the web of betrayals in Anglo-Spanish relations over the last 50 years, but to understand that the English were not as friendly to Spain as she might imagine. No doubt, Englishmen at court were likely planning to engage in or invest in privateering in 1678.

Sophia was not pretending that she liked his gift; it truly enchanted her. It was a work of art, and she had collected art since her days in Venice. She also believed it to be unique. Even if there were other garnet hearts encased in crystal, they wouldn't be exactly like this one. It was too large to wear, but it would make a stunning paperweight. And at the moment she said it, Esteban really was dear to her, although like most teenage girls, her sentiments could change in the blink of an eye.

Perhaps it was a good omen for the new year that their gifts had pleased each other. His willingness to join the sled races was also a positive sign that he, like herself, wished to improve their relationship. Unless he was only interested in impressing the King.

Unfortunately, the latter seemed more likely after he explained what was happening in the Caribbean. Sophia frowned as she struggled to understand. “I thought the English and the French hate each other, more than either of them hates Spain. Why would they team up together when the English are discussing fighting against the French in the Netherlands? Or have they decided to join them there too?” She thought that unlikely because the King would never put his niece in danger. Or maybe the Princess was already on her way home.

Sophia grasped her husband's arm in alarm. “No, do not complain!” she exclaimed, perhaps taking his statement too literally. Her English was still not perfect. She didn't want him to put his position in jeopardy, for then they might have to move to Madrid for good. “Would it not be better to negotiate a trade agreement with the King? If the pirates cannot make a profit from the things they steal because they are readily available for a decent price, will they not turn their attention elsewhere?”

Without waiting for an answer, she asked the question that was foremost on her mind. If Esteban had to handle this dilemma by himself, her royal lover was probably not going to join them before the end of the season. He had promised her he would be in England by the end of the year, but it had come and gone. “Did you find this out from Juan? Is he all right?”

"The Carribean is like another world Sophia. Perhaps that is why they call it the New World," he commented wryly. "The alliances and treaties in Europe seem to hold little sway. It is only about who has the power and wealth to get their way." He spoke with a serious demeanor.

"Spain can take only so much abuse before she must react. Don Juan needed to return to Madrid. The Queen Mother is scheming again." Sophia would remember that the Queen Mother and her lackeys had been cast aside by Don Juan. "She attempts to undermine everything he does."

"I did not want to tell you anything until after the ball. I did not want it to spoil your fun. We may need to be leaving England almost immediately after the twelfth night celebration." There were other serious things to discuss but this was enough for one sitting.

"Let us see if we can lighten the mood with the sledding."

“Then what can His Majesty do about it if they do not recognize his authority? Perhaps the two of you can work together to improve the relations between your two countries over there. United, you might be able to stand against the pirates.” He had said nothing about her suggestion that he negotiate a trade agreement between England and Spain. Maybe it had been such a ridiculous idea that he had not wanted to acknowledge it with a comment. Sophia knew she was woefully ignorant where politics was concerned. Perhaps the idea she had just shared with him was just as foolish.

When he told her that Juan was being plagued by the Queen Mother and had gone back to Madrid, the world spun around her and she sank into one of the richly-upholstered chairs by the table, afraid that she might faint. He wasn't coming. She wasn't going to see him until recess, and maybe not even then if he was too absorbed with trying to thwart the former Queen. What Esteban could do there, she didn't know, but he was one of Juan's most trusted advisers, so of course, he would want him there.

“Did he say anything about me at all?” she asked quietly. “Why did he not write me himself?” Maybe he had, but the letter had not yet arrived. While Sophia hoped that was the case, it seemed unlikely. Tears formed behind her ice-blue eyes. Her happiness had turned to sorrow. “Does he not love me anymore?”

How like women to worry about themselves when their loved one was in harm's way, thought Toledo. "He said he had already sent you a letter and a gift. You should have received it prior to Christmas." Now he was worried. If that letter and gift fell into the wrong hands .... Sophia would see the concern in his eyes. Their scandal would be uncovered.

"You need to look through your correspondence again," he urged. "I will send men to look into this."

Most teenagers were selfish creatures, and Sophia was no exception. She did worry about her beloved Juan, but she worried more about whether or not he still loved her. After last night with Lord Arundel, perhaps she shouldn't have cared, but she did … very much. She still loved him and could not conceive of a world without him with it. That world would be devoid of color and full of grief. If he left her for another beautiful singer, she would be as heartbroken by his rejection as she would be by his demise. Maybe more.

That tiny spark of hope flared to life inside her soul when Esteban revealed that Juan had sent her a gift and a letter. So he still loved her and had not abandoned her to live the rest of her life with a man who had only wed her at his request. However, she had received nothing at all from him. What if they had been intercepted and their devotion to each other was exposed? The concern in her husband's eyes told her that he was thinking along the same lines.

“When we are alone, he speaks to me in German. I think he would write to me in German as well, so if somebody took it, they might not be able to read it or have it translated. I have met few Germans since I arrived in England.”

She sighed. “Every day I look through my correspondence carefully, hoping to get a letter from him. But I have received nothing since we got here. It has been a week since Christmas, but maybe it is still in transit because of the weather?”

Now that she had been reassured that she was still in Juan's thoughts, she became anxious about his safety. “Is the Queen Mother trying to regain her power? She cannot truly harm him, can she? I thought that she had been exiled.”

"Being written in German is only helpful if it were to fall into the hands of some local commoner who might return it without understanding it," her husband acknowledged. "If the intercept was deliberate," here he was thinking of the French or a rival Spanish faction, "less so." He found himself frowning as he considered the possibilities. He had assumed that she had received the correspondence a week or more ago and kept it to herself.

"It may be as you say. Bad weather causing a delayed crossing of the channel." He was not so sure.

"The Queen Mother's ministers were exiled; not her." They could not exile a Queen. Royalty was answerable only to other royalty. "She wants Don Juan exiled and her incompetent ministers back." He was a thorn in her side and would prefer his death. There had been several attempts before and Esteban saw little reason to think they would stop now.

Why had Esteban not told her that Juan was sending her a gift? Or had he not known until recently? Sophia had thought that he was too busy with the Italian rebellion to think about the holidays, but she had hoped for a letter from him at least. And yet her beloved Prince had not only sent her a present, but he had tried to time it so that it arrived around Christmas, when Germans typically exchanged gifts. He still loved her, just as she loved him.

Her husband seemed very worried that the letter and package had never gotten to her. She supposed he was right that if it was deliberately intercepted, finding a translator would not be a problem. Sophia hoped with all her heart that it had just been delayed or that one of the servants had misplaced it. She would question their entire staff before they left for the sled races. It wouldn't matter to her if one of them had stolen it, for that would mean that it didn't fall into enemy hands.

Such as …

“If the Queen Mother's spies took it, could she use it against him? Could he lose his position because he's having an affair with a German who is married to one of his associates? Almost all Princes have mistresses and they usually don't care whether they're married or not. Or would a love letter disappoint her? He never speaks to me about political matters so nothing it contains would be useful to her otherwise.”

"The Queen Mother could not use the letter to do much harm to Don Juan, for the reasons you say," Esteban acknowledged. "Others would use it ... to embarrass me and to cheapen you in the eyes of society," he admitted at last. It would hurt them far more than their master. It could make them susceptible to blackmail, which is what the foreign powers sought to gain over an ambassador.

"Perhaps it was lost at sea," he remarked finding that such an outcome would not be so bad. "Let us wait another day or two."

“Oh.” For a few moments, Sophia was silent as she considered the implications of Esteban's words. In truth, she didn't care who knew that she was Juan's mistress. She wasn't ashamed of loving him and sometimes wished that she could shout it to the entire world. But to her husband, honor was everything and she would never do anything that would bring him humiliation or ridicule … not in public, anyway. He would be livid if he had known what she had gotten up to last night with Lord Arundel.

Revealing her love for Juan would hurt him immensely. She, too, would rather the letter be lost at sea than be intercepted by someone in England who wanted to slander the Spanish Ambassador. “I will question the servants before we leave for the sled race. Maybe one of them misplaced it. I hope that we find it or it arrives soon, for then we will not have to worry about it anymore.”

Sophia gazed up at him, a troubled expression on her beautiful face. “If the truth does come out, Esteban, what will we do?”

It would indeed hurt him to be seen as a man whose wife dallied with others. It would undermine the respect he hoped to garner.

"I suppose we could claim it is a forgery," was the first defense that occurred to him. "We shall have to see what is in the letter."

Perhaps declaring that the love letter was fake would be enough. Sophia doubted that many people had seen Juan's handwriting. If they were lucky, he would have had somebody else write it for him, suspecting that it might be intercepted. No, that was highly unlikely, for she didn't think that he would tell anyone else about their affair. And she would be wary if she received a missive that had not been penned by him. She knew his handwriting well.

“Failing that, I will take the blame,” she said in a quiet little voice, “even if it ruins my reputation. It is not your fault that Juan and I fell in love. You should not have to suffer because of it. All you did was agree to marry me at his request.”

Her head tilted to the side. “That is why you married me, isn't it? Because he asked you to?” Sophia wished she could take those words back as soon as they left her lips. She had never spoken to him so frankly about his decision to wed her and she had no idea how he would react.

Once again, her curiosity had gotten the better of her.

"You will take no blame," Esteban replied quietly. It was not easy for one party to protect the other anyway.

He was silent as Sophia professed her love for Juan. Did she know what true love was, he wondered idly. He had grown fearful that she merely fancied the prince and that she was more in love with being in love, but he gave no voice to his growing concerns.

"He did not ask me to marry you." Esteban revealed quietly. It was a true statement, but there was more to the story. Yet, he was inclined to say no more. Instead, he observed his wife's raction.

Figuratively, Sophia's heart was larger than her excellent set of lungs and her bosom combined. She had a lot of love to give … not to mention a seemingly endless libido. After she had written Juan about the ball early this morning, she had thought about love while Anna dressed her. She loved Henry and Douglas, and perhaps Lord Chatham as well, but she was in love with Don Juan.

In her sixteen-year-old mind, there was a difference between loving somebody and being in love with them. There was a deeper connection when you were in love, a bond that could never be broken. And that was what she felt with her beloved Prince. No matter how many others came and went, she would always return to him and he to her. This line of reasoning also helped to lessen her fear that Juan had taken other lovers after she had left Madrid.

Sophia took Esteban's words to mean that he would defend her honor, and she thought that was sweet, considering how highly he regarded his own. Or perhaps Juan had asked him to protect her reputation. That explanation seemed more likely.

Juan had not asked him to marry her? The petite singer blinked. Twice. This was not what she had expected to hear. For so long, she had believed that he had only been doing his master's bidding. “You wanted to marry me?” she asked. All of her considerable acting skills could not keep a note of surprise from coloring her voice.

Where the proper world saw things in black and white, those of a libertine bent were apt to see black as gray, creating distinctions within their own mind ... at least until they became sufficiently jaded to care less about such manufactured distinctions any more. Sophia was young and had more than her fair share of hormones/

Esteban, in contrast, seemed to be devoid of those same hormones. It seemed as though his wife would make up for that shortfall. Likewise, though a diplomat, he was a man of few words when it came to intimate communication.

When she asked if he had wanted to marry her. a number of thoughts went through his mind. In the end he opted for the shortest truthful answer.

"Si."

That single quiet word turned Sophia's life upside down.

She remembered when he had first spoken to her at the inn in Brighton. His greeting had surprised her, for he had shown no interest in her before. Yet Juan had said that he was smitten with her and encouraged her to let him court her. They had walked on the beach the next day and spoken of marriage. He had been quite profuse with the compliments … well, profuse for him … and he had told her that she was exactly the kind of wife that an Ambassador needed. He had seemed sincere and she had believed him.

That very evening, she had given herself to Don Juan and realized that she had been in love with him for quite some time. He still wanted her to marry Esteban and several days later, she had discovered that the Baron had been aware of their affair all along. Sophia had never wondered why Juan had taken her virginity knowing that his friend wished to wed her until that moment. He had planned the entire thing so that the two of them could be together without suspicion and had asked Esteban to court her and marry her.

Yet now it seemed that she had been wrong. Esteban had wanted her to be his wife and had not been deterred when he found out that she was Juan's mistress. Her mind whirled with various suppositions and she dropped into the closest chair. Looking up into his eyes, her next query was as soft and succinct as the answer he had given her.

“Why?”

This was not the conversation he had expected, or wanted. There were other topics to discuss; but, he was being directed towards a topic that ladies seemed to prefer above all others ... relationships. Theirs was not a normal relationship, nor was his with Juan. Esteban did not see much benefit in discussing the topic in detail. She had posed a question and he needed to provide the shortest truthful answer.

"I saw in you what his Highness saw in you." It was a bit cryptic perhaps, but it was enough for him. He had thought to turn the question on her but then thought better of it.

"Perhaps it was because you showed interest in learning chess," he offered in a rare moment of humor. "This might be a good time to begin your lesson." He turned towards the board and pieces.

Maybe it was a good thing that Esteban had not reciprocated with the same question. Sophia would have told him what she had expected to hear from him: that she had only married him because Juan had asked her to. Marriage to one of his closest companions had been the easiest way to spend time with him without any suspicion falling on either of them. Perhaps it was fortunate that her husband didn't know that she had considered him as only a means to an end.

She did care for him now. If she didn't, she wouldn't constantly try to make him proud of her so he wouldn't regret marrying her. So far, she thought she had done quite well in the past week. She had given him an opportunity to be the first foreign Ambassador to donate to the Queen's charities and their banquet … also the first for a foreign kingdom … had turned out well. Except for his lack of affection and the fact that he monitored her every move, she was content to be his wife. He was not cruel to her and he gave her more freedom that she had expected.

Her eyes narrowed at his reply. No, you didn't, she thought. If you had seen what Juan saw, you would share my bed every night. Sophia wanted to point that out to him, but she knew how quickly his temper could explode and she didn't want to ruin their plans for the afternoon. For once, he was willing to be a bit adventurous, and she hoped he enjoyed himself so much that he would want to participate more often in fun court events.

Esteban obviously wanted to change the subject by suggesting that he teach her chess. Maybe it was best to let the subject go for now. She could bring it up at another time. After she had pleased him in some way, he might be more amenable to elaborating further.

Sophia's gaze traveled to the beautiful chess set and then back to her husband's face. “Is there anything else I need to know? About Juan? Or Spain? Or anything else that you think is important? I do not wish to be kept in the dark about matters that could impact our lives.”

Could it be that Esteban saw in Sophia something other than a sex partner? He did not seem keen on sex for some reason. Most every other courtier thought immediately of sex when they saw Sophia; but, Esteban did not. It was a curious relationship.

Happy to be seated by the chess board he decided that they had enough of serious talk for the morning. "Nothing worth discussing," he mumbled as he set up the pieces. "Now then, the rules are not that difficult but the strategy is hard to master. Let me explain how each piece moves and then basic strategies to use." With that he launched into 15 minutes of rules of the game.

Sophia was more confused about Esteban now than she had ever been. Was he not as indifferent to her as she had thought? Then why didn't he show it? She associated fondness between a husband and wife with physical desire, and she couldn't even imagine that one could exist without the other. She would find out eventually the real reason he had married her, but now was not the time.

And it didn't seem like the time for serious discussions either. Esteban seemed determined to teach her chess. Maybe he needed a distraction and she could coax him into revealing more about what was going on in Spain with seemingly innocent questions as they played. She listened intently as he explained the rules and the movements of each piece. He was very clear and she had no problem understanding his instructions. It seemed a bit more difficult than backgammon, at which she was quite proficient, but perhaps that was only because this game was so new to her.

“Is chess popular in Spain?” she asked when he was finished. “Does Juan know how to play?”

"It is popular with the higher ranks of court," he admitted. It was not a game for the masses. Perhaps that was one more reason the nobility enjoyed it so much. "Si, of course he plays. He is quite good at it." He smiled at the thought. "We have played many times."

The conversation then turned to game strategy. There was a skill in disguising one's plan. The patient player was the one rewarded. The impulsive player was likely to lose. He explained how one needed to think five moves ahead, which was useful for court politics as well.

Sophia supposed that chess was mostly popular with courtiers here as well. Most commoners would not be able to afford a board. She couldn't remember whether any of the singers had played it in Venice, but she had seen the sons of the family she had stayed with engrossed in the game. Perhaps she should have asked them to teach her, but she had been too involved with her singing to care about much else.

She caught Esteban's smile. Her gift had been a wise one, because he did seem fond of the game. Who won more often, she wondered, her husband or her lover? She doubted that Esteban would let Juan win just because he was a royal and his master. Maybe they were evenly matched.

The diminutive blonde had learned to play backgammon from her father and she had beaten some of the guests who had visited them in Germany, some quite a bit older than she. She had played in Venice as well, and had been told that she was quite good for her age.

But Esteban was ten years her senior and had infinitely more experience. Sophia also tended to be impatient and impulsive, but she was also adaptable. While she had occasionally planned a few moves in advance, her opponent had often surprised her with a move that made her rethink her approach. She hoped that her husband was the kind of teacher who pointed out her mistakes instead of just defeating her and expecting her to learn from it.

Her eyes widened when he mentioned politics. Was he trying to teach her about that as well? She rather hoped so, because she thought that if she knew more about that topic and what he wished to achieve, she would be able to assist him in reaching his goals.

“Does the Queen Mother play chess?” She hoped the reasoning behind her question would be obvious, given his comment about politics. If she did, Sophia hoped that Juan was much better than she was.

Esteban was a kind teacher. Whenever his wife was about to make the wrong move, he would grunt and make a face, signaling her to reconsider her move. He expected this would be a better way to teach the game.

"The Queen Mother does not have the patience to play," Toledo revealed. It said something about her politically as well.