JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Strategy | 01/01, morning- Xmas 1677

Sophia de la Cerda

Sophia thought that she was already doing all the things that he asked of her. She had discovered that she had a flair for organization when she had managed her father's household during the last month of his life and up to the moment that she had boarded Lord Kingston's ship for England. And she had almost as much confidence in her social skills as she had in her singing. Sophia flourished at court and maybe that was what an Ambassador's wife was supposed to do.

Esteban was quite profuse with the compliments this morning and she smiled proudly. She knew she was young for her position and had a lot to learn, but hearing that he was happy with her progress made her less doubtful than she usually was about adequately performing in her new and most demanding role. “So I am already assisting you by by hosting successful parties and presenting you with opportunities like donating to the Queen's charities? That is enough?”

How could one fault a teenager for acting like a teenager? She had often wondered if she was only Don Juan's flavor of the month and whether he had more mistresses than she had gowns and shoes. Sophia knew that she would always come second to his love for Spain, and she accepted that as a price of loving the ruler of a country, whether he was King or not. If Spain was his only other mistress, than she would be content.

If he'd truly had only a few lovers in his long life and considering Esteban's lack of libido, maybe Spaniards didn't have as much sex drive as their counterparts in other countries. They could have been taught to suppress their passion or that sleeping around was seen as dishonorable. She really knew very little about the values Spanish children were raised with.

Her husband very rarely waxed poetic, and Sophia hoped that his words had not been rehearsed and used to mollify other young women whom Juan had seduced. Perhaps he was simply more fond of music than she had thought and her voice had been one of the qualities that had attracted him to her. He had already told her that his master had not asked him to marry her, so she supposed that Juan didn't often wed his mistresses (if he had others, which she was beginning to doubt) to his friends.

She also hoped that Esteban was right and her beloved Prince had found everything he desired in her. “You told me that you wanted to be Spain's Ambassador to England that day we walked on the beach. Did you not think that I might hinder your ambitions because I was so young and had no understanding of politics and diplomacy and little experience in the ways of the world?”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Si, I remember," Esteban replied about that seashore walk. "It has come true sooner than I thought. I had thought I might have had more time to gain you seasoning; but, events moved for our Master and he was able to seize power sooner."

Sophia seemed to be questioning his intelligence in wedding her. She was pretty and witty, which could not be taught. The rest could be gained with experience.

"You will do well. You have plenty of time to learn. In but a few days the season will end. I will have you arrange the packing while I attempt to finalize a treaty and then we will be bound for Madrid, where we can have a mild winter and be reunited with His Highness."

While Sophia knew now that Esteban had married her by choice, she still wondered if that choice had been influenced by ambition. By wedding her, he had insured that Juan would be able to spend time with her without suspicion and perhaps he had hoped to be rewarded by being granted the position he coveted.

Most Ambassadors were middle-aged or even elderly. Her husband was still in his twenties and seemed rather young for the job. Maybe he would have had to work his way up after Juan came into power, but because of his service, he had been made Ambassador despite his own youth. And he must have already proved his worth to her Prince, since he had been given such an important task.

He seemed confident that she would not embarrass or dishonor him, and she felt guilty that she had already done so. However, she didn't feel so remorseful that she planned to cancel her tryst with Lord Arundel. It would be the last time they would see each other before the season ended, and despite her love for Juan, she cared for the handsome Earl too. It was impossible to tell which was largest: her voice, her bosom, or her capacity for love.

“I will try my best not to disappoint you,” Sophia promised. Supervising the packing would not be difficult. She had done it last season when they had fled the illness spreading through London and had little time to plan. The same servant who had cared for her cats and her bird had already offered to take them in again. Aurora would be coming with her.

“Will you teach me more about politics on the journey?” she asked him.

Esteban had not accused is wife of anything yet, despite Sophia's maid's warning that Karl was planning to speak to the Ambassador about her flirtations. Perhaps he did not believe the warnings, or perhaps he did, but was taking other measures. Sophia professed a willingness to avoid scandal, so perhaps that is all Esteban sought.

"Si, there will be time enough to speak of politics on our trip to Madrid. By then I shall know the King's answer," he agreed. "Speaking of which, I need to prepare for my meeting, so it is best if I return to my study."

Sophia had expected him to say that she already knew as much about politics as any lady should, but he surprised her yet again. She had been looking for someone to teach her more about the way the world worked since they had been wed, but she had never thought of looking in her own backyard, so to speak. Esteban had been so aloof that she had not even considered asking him, but as it turned out, he was an excellent and patient instructor.

She assumed that they would be traveling mostly by land, but if they went by sea, learning about politics and playing chess would distract her from her unreasonable fear of water. Maybe that was one reason he had taught her. This morning, she had discovered that he cared about her more than she had believed. He just wasn't interested in making love to her, and she could understand the reasoning behind that.

Sophia wished their conversation didn't have to end so soon. How long would it be before he spoke so candidly with her again? “Of course,” she said, keeping any hint of disappointment from her voice. “I have the utmost faith in you. You will come up with a treaty that will benefit both England and Spain and both His Majesty and Don Juan will be pleased with you."

She stood up and smoothed down her skirts. “Thank you for teaching me how to play chess, Esteban. I will let you know when it's time to leave for the sleigh race.”

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps a new year meant a new opportunity or a new start. Would it change Sophia's own secret plans?

"Gracias. Now I really must complete the preamble before we leave." With that, he was on his way back to his study, leaving his wife alone with her thoughts.

~finis