JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Mon cher | 31st 9ish- Xmas 1677

Nicolette stepped back from the door after she'd knocked, her eyes falling to the forgotten flowerpot.

The pot now wore a crystalline snow cap, beneath of which she imagined bulbs nestled up tight in icy earth. Waiting waiting for the early hints of spring to rouse them... hyacinths perhaps, or perhaps jonquils, who knew what beautiful blossom might burst forth.

Drawing her attention back to the door, she adjusted her basket and stepped forward to knock again.

Hoping hoping that Lord Daventry was in.

Servants had been awake for hours, but it was still early for gentlefolk. The doorman answered and did not recognize the French belle. Still, she was a gentle woman, so he addressed her politely. "Good morning madam, how might I be of assistance?"

Nicolette did not recognise the staff member, which was perhaps odd given the frequency of her visits - she seized every opportunity to deliver messages between her cousin and Lord Daventry, to and forth, not to mention his being a regular guest to Basildons house.

"La! Who are you?" She crooned pleasantly, "I hope Lord Daventry has not left for the Palace yet, I've brought him some pastries he simply must taste..." Passing the servant her basket, the French miss would enter the foyer and begin to remove her cloak.

"I am Roland maam," the man introduced as she pushed her way inward. Nicolette knew the secret to these sorts of situations, which is to act as if you belong wherever you are going. Roland moved to accept the basket and then released it back to her as he moved to take her coat.

"The Lord Chancellor is still in his repose madam. He is unable to see anyone just yet. I am happy to announce your arrival, if you would be so kind as to tell me who I should introduce." A maid moved into the entryway when she heard voices. It was her job to assist with cloaks and refreshments.

"Oh really?" Nicolette was surprised to hear Daventry not about yet. "He'd struck me as an early rising sort, the sort to make the most of the daylight. Oh dear. He's not ill is he?" exchanging her cloak for the basket, her voice held genuine concern. "I am Nicolette Vauquelin, he knows me..."

But she did not go directly into the reception room, hesitating upon fret for Heneage snr's health, concern that made her wonder if it best that she go to him instead.

"He has a cough," Roland admitted, "but he is fine. His lordship rarely gets ill. I suspect it is that the holidays are upon us that has everyone moving a bit more slowly Mademoiselle. I shall announce your presence, but it may take some time to return. Do you wish me to present your basket?" he inquired before taking his leave.

"If you would wait in the reception room," he urged, "I shall return as soon as I can." He paused to see if the basket would be relinquished or not.

"I see." Nicolette voiced with relief, "yes there is a lot of sniffles about at this time of the year... why really Rowland, you look a little pale yourself. I shall send a big bottle of tonic for the entire household I think."

That settled she was ready to move through to the reception room. "Oh that would be nice of you. Perhaps you can put them on a plate, and bring them to us with cups of hot chocolate. That should start Lord Daventry's day off well don’t you think? Yes yes, that would be just perfect." What with Heneage snr being estranged from his wife, there really was nobody to issue this sort of instruction about the house - Nicolette thought herself doing the kind man a service to look after a home comfort for him.

And so she was free to stroll into the reception room, hopeful the fire was lit.

"Do I?" The middle aged man felt his face as if somehow that would tell him whether he was pale. "I shall see to it maam." He moved off with the basket and the maid went in search of chocolate to put into a hot drink.

Unfortunately, no fire was lit in the reception room, it being too early in the morning to do so. So, Nicolette would be in a drafty room filled with books and paintings on the walls of classic scenes like White Hall and the Tower.

It would be five minutes later that Roland would return. "His Lordship will join you momentarily." It was then that the servant noted that the room was cold. "Would you be more comfortable in the kitchen? There is a roaring fire there and cook is making hot drinks. Might you like a cup of hot tea while you wait?"

The room she entered was as unprepared for guests as the master of the house - and the drafy chill left the Frenchwoman ruing handing in her cloak. It was habit that had her move to stand by the fireplace, though it's embers had long since died out. Crossing her arms before, she braced against the chill.

Five minutes can seem an awfully long time.

It was Nicolette who looked a little hunched and pale when Rowland returned. The olderman instinctively picking up on it, and thinking to invite her to the much warmer kitchen. "Oh yes please." she replied without any thought, "I suppose I have been awfully inconvenient I am sorry. I had just thought that if I called later, I'd be certain to have missed him, what with it being Christmas and all."

She followed on after the man. She'd never been to the houses Kitchens before - she supposed it was not very nobby of her to accept the humble invite there. Other relatives of herself would prefer to suffer in the cold than mix beneath them, but, when it came right down to it she was barely out of the gutter herself!

As was common, the kitchens were an annex to the house, to help protect against fire. There was a roaring fire there and Nicolette would feel immediate relief as she entered.

A large woman was pouring steaming liquid into cups as the French beauty entered. Another housemaid stood by with a wooden tray at the ready. Both gave a quizzical look as the gentlewoman entered, followed by Roland.

"It s cold in the front room," he declared. "Have you some hot tea for the lady?" "Of course," came the reply. Tea was added to the pot and then poured anew. A ceramic mug was offered to Nicolette.

A cough could be heard in the distance and then it came closer. The door opened and the master of the house entered, wearing a plain brown frock coat. "Ah, there you are Nicolette," he greeted. "I apologize for the delay." He chose not to provide any excuse. "Some tea with a spot of honey for this cough," he requested from the cook, who was quick to oblige. "Honey for your tea miss?" the cook inquired. Heneage looked at Nicolette as if she were to provide the reason for her visit. Perhaps there was some family issue?

• 2 weeks later...

"Good morning." Nicolette smiled to the help, hoping to put them at ease, pleased when Roland explained her arrival. "Oui, I almost freezed my tits off!" She gave a little laugh.

Perhaps playing with the commoners with Nell was not really a good move for Nicci. Still, she hoped to disarm the awkward silence that existed. She was encroaching on their territory after all.

But barely a moment later (hopefully Lord Daventry had not heard her!) the lord of the house arrived. And Nicci was turning, all smiles that butter could not melt in her mouth.

"Oh it is so good to see you." she crooned, moving forwards to kiss his cheeks either side if he let. "I have just been missing you, and it's hardly fair that every time my cousin has a message for you, he will deliver it himself. You must know by now that you are my favourite." she gave a small sigh, "and so here I am visiting you far too early. As much as I wanted to visit you, I also didn't want to spoil your days plans."

"Yes please, honey." she nodded to the cook.

Roland's jaw dropped at the colorful language, but he was quick to close it as if nothing had happened. "Dreadfully sorry madam."

When Finch arrived, he was greeted by the exuberance that Nicolette often showed him. It was hard to resist, even for a man with curmudgeonly tendencies. "Well you are my favorite too. I would much rather receive a message from you, than him. But do not tell Louis that, for he might be quite insulted," he jested.

"Well then I shall assume that the mutual message will be one of holiday cheer." His smile was interrupted by a cough or two. "I was thinking about staying home tonight, but I think I might try and attend the ball. I assume you will be there? You are the Lady of Misrule as I recall," he added as the tea was given to both. He paused to sip the hot elixir.

Thinking to have put them at ease with her recently honed common 'people-skills', she was never the less quick to revert to a refined manner with her relative's relative.

"Well he might be content to accept it, for I think I am his favourite too!" the girl laughed at her mock arrogance, enjoying a little playful banter.

But the exuberance stressed his lungs, and Daventry's cheer was interrupted by coughing. Her brow creased with concern. "Yes, a night in from the chill might be best, so I may hope to see you rosy cheeked and full voiced at the ball. I would like to save a dance for you, Lord Daventry, if you are up to dancing by then that is?" she gave a small smile, and warned, "if you are not upon the mend I shall resort to applying treatments from the apothecary upon you, until you are."

Daventry knew about the Apothecary that Louis had purchased, he having given assistance with the existing lawsuit against it at the time.

"Have you a little peppermint oil?" she turmed to ask the cook, who seemed savy to general treatment for colds. "A few drops in a bowl of steaming water nearby might benefit his lordship."

* Prior to eucalyptus oil, they used English peppermint oil. Alas, not as effective.

When Nicolette proclaimed herself the favorite of Louis too, Finch gave a chuckle. "How could he but?" It was a way to flatter her. Of course, the older man suspected that it was his niece that was Basildon's favorite. The two seemed to be a grand match.

"Very well, I shall stay indoors all day in front of the fire, sipping tea, so that I might be feeling recovered by this evening. I fear I won't be able to stay past midnight, for it is off to bed with me then; but, save a dance for you I will," he pledged, "if I am up for it."

The cook nodded at the peppermint oil suggestion. "I have some for making candy," she commented. "Though perhaps I shall send Dorothy for more today. The shops will be closed tomorrow."

"How is it that you have a dance open for me this evening?" Heneage queried. "You must be the most popular lady in London these days. A line of lords must be at the ready to duel over your favor. Do you have anything special planned for the ball tonight? Any surprise that I should ready myself for?"

In the lightness of the moment, they could laugh and smile - Nicci had been a little reckless to claim as she did, but life is short and her heart was large. Sensibly though, she knew Louis belonged to one other really. Yet moments stolen here and there were never the less precious.

"Oh good." she was pleased by that, and especially that he'd dance with her. Her life was gravitating towards the Libertine circles, but she felt such an attachment for the fatherly figure that Lord Daventry was. He thought of himself as fatherly, more than she thought of him that way. Yet however it worked, she was pleased to count him as dear to her.

"Non, not the peppermint extract for flavour, you need the peppermint oil. I shall see some is sent over." Nicolette kindly explained, "Oil is much stronger, it will ease heavy lungs." she gave a small apologetic smile to the gentleman under discussion.

"Ha, you would think so wouldn’t you!" Nicolette then laughed as he supposed her dancecard already fulled. "But I am choosy you see." He might think she was flattering him. Was she a little? She was not blind to his high station, and that the connection did well for her reputation at court. Likely he was not blind to the benefit to her either. He was wise to the world, and court politics.

"Well actually." dropping her voice a one quieter she replied, "I am was some letters to be delivered today, a little meddling, a little match making - everybody loves a love letter don’t you think? My idea is to send mystery love letters, with a little clue for people to follow. It is a thing that I think only those who seek love will pursue, and then like hearts might find each other. Is that a beautiful mischief, mmm?"

The cook was ignorant of the distinction and, as such, looked rightfully abashed about the differences in oil. "Thank you maam." That would save Dorothy having to fetch some immediately.

Finch listened to Nicolette's plan and he chuckled at it. "Quite a bit of mischief indeed." He was a man that no longer believed in romantic love. It was something for the young to imagine.

"How many letters shall you be delivering?" he asked with logistical curiosity. "It could keep you busy for days just to deliver a bag full. Will you tell me the sorts of ladies and gentlemen you intend to visit. I would say that ladies would find it more welcoming and gentlemen more vexing." That was a reflection of his experience that women dreamed of receiving such things and men only wondered as to who might have sent it.

Nicolette touched the cooks arm, "You are welcome." smiling warmly to the other woman as she gratefully took her cup of tea.

And then she was chatting of her last-minute plans. Daventry seemed amused of it, yet quizzed to the practicalities. "Oh yes, I've left it all rather late haven’t I." she nodded, "I'll hardly have time to deliver many myself, and really then need to be slid under doors, to not spoil the mystery. I suppose I shall only really manage half a dozen or a few more. Daisy can help me of course."

"Well really, there is one in particular I want to send. Hmm, perhaps you can advise me on it, to help prompt the best response? You see, last spring when there was the Kings Garden walk... have you heard of that, it really was quite a dramatic day. Anyhow, I noticed at the time that Lady Lucas, she is that kind gentlewoman, was talking quite a long time with Lord Arlington. Truly, I've never seen him talking to any other lady so long, and quite animated. At the time I thought, well, that they must surely become the closest of friends. But then ever since I've not seen them together.

"I think they need a nudge." she paused, "La! Perhaps I would not be Mistress of Mischief, but instead Cupid!"

“But I cannot send just one set of notes, or else it’s too pointed. The targeting will be concealed with many more sent.”

"Yes yes," Finch admitted. "You will need help in deliveries and to write the notes, though the former is easier as one can hire an army of pages to deliver notes for you. The difficulty, I imagine is in the penning of the love letters." Finch could not profess any skill in such authorship and he remained silent on the topic.

The couple named by Nicolette came as a surprise. "Arlington is married to Isabella Nassau," he reminded the young French beauty. They had a 10 year old daughter by the same name. It was certainly no love match, but he could not imagine Henry Bennett in the market for a mistress for himself. The man had won favor by allying himself with the King's mistresses, Barbara Palmer in particular. Heneage was not a man to think through the tangled affairs of the heart. His own marriage was a failure and he devoted himself to his work instead.

"I suppose you are just doing this to cause mischief then," he concluded, realizing that it was more likely a prank than anything. That was the best explanation for it. "So ..." still ignorant on how Nicci would play cupid "how will this work? They will not know the pretend author? Will you set up some sort of meeting then?" It was the conspiratorial element that appealed to the jurist, not the romance.

His saying she was just doing this for mischief caught at her ears. He was disappointed in her, he'd wanted to hear of true romance. Heneage Finch snr was a romantic man (even if he denied it), she recalled his poignant tale of a love lost at Normandy.

"No, it is not only mischief." It had been, but now she rethought.

"Lord Arlington is married yes, but, happiness is not always in a contract. I think he enjoyed Lady Lucas company, yet has not the excuse to keep her company again. It must be harder for him." She was looking at the gentle Chancellor as she spoke, "He has his office, his dignity to protect, he cannot behave like a reckless youth, though his heart my yearn for the thrill of heart again."

"I must think of some other thing then. Some other thing to allow them a friendship to blossom. It does not need to be... ah, lovers." she hesitated to say the word before Daventry, but lowered her eyes as spoke quickly past it, "for it to be uplifting for the soul." And upon a impulse she reached and squeezed his hand.

It was hardly a surprise that Nicci thought herself to be quite in love with the older man at that moment. Perhaps one day she'd find a love that endured in a singular way like love was supposed to, for it was confusing to love so very many.

Yet to the problem at hand, Nicci loosed a sigh. "I was ever so happy to win the title Lady of Mischief, but now I have no mischief to give. La! I fear I am one of those boring girls after all." with time running out, the pressure was on and she was feeling it. "Can you think of any Mischief Lord Daventry?"

It was hard to imagine Arlington yearning for anything other than wealth and power. The man was known to be unscrupulous, supporting whatever party paid him attention and gold. This was in stark contrast to Finch.

"I suppose you could be correct. I cannot claim to know him well." He was something of a pariah these days.

It is not rare for a young lady to fall in love with a fatherly figure, nor is it hard for an older man to be enamored with a young woman that showers him with attention. Nicolette had a skill in charming men of all ages.

"No mischief? Well, your love notes sounded quite like it," he debated. "You are not boring at all." It fell to him to give her the accord she was due. "You are anything but Nicolette. You seem to exude magic wherever you go." He was not one to craft worthy poetry.

"I fear I am the least mischievous person you might meet," he offered soberly. "Charles Blount and my son Heneage ... they were mischievous boys." A thought occurred to him. "Have you ever met Hen? I don't recall." Nicci might just be the right influence on him. She was kind where Jane had been cruel. The older Finch was quite charmed by the young French beauty but he supposed he might share with his forelorn son who was very much in need of intervention. Louis had revealed a dire situation with his son.

Nicolette nodded as he explained he did not know Arlington well. Court was quite a small place really, so she supposed that meant that they were very different sorts of men. "I'd still like to coax them together if I can, perhaps I shall find an opportunity tonight to do so."

She'd not meant to beg for a compliment, but then there it was. "Thank you." modesty struck and she looked into her tea cup. It was hard, at a moment like this, not to yearn for a marriage with such a gentle and kind man as he was - but, like reading tealeaves she knew her life was to be far more topsy turvy than that.

"I shall attempt the love notes then. Really my role is but to swirl the water a little, and let people manage what they enjoy in the turbulence."

"No, I've missed meeting your sons, either of them." One of them was married, this she knew, the younger was not. "My cousin Louis had him to dinner the other evening, but I was attending another event that evening... shall I send Hen a love note too?" She took a sip of her tea, tipping her head with private thoughts.

"Perhaps in the recess, you and your sons might visit...oh!" a smile flashed to her face, "I wanted to tell you of my wonderful news the other day. The Marquise Worchester called, and guess what, we got along so famously. She even invited me to go to Badmintgton to stay a while - yes so if there is a family gathering in Basildon, you must promise not to do it while I am away."

"Perhaps they should call you Lady Cupid instead of Lady of Misrule," he suggested with a smile. How could one oppose someone trying to play cupid? It seemed noble enough. "I suppose I should wish you bonne chance tonight."

As for his son, the older man sighed the heavy burden of a disappointed parent. "My son is more than ever in need of a love note, but he does not know it and would proclaim he no longer needs it" He stopped there, not wishing to reveal more. "Who would receive the matching note I wonder?" He really had no idea.

In a rare moment of mischief the Chancellor wished to switch to a happier target. "You should give a note to Louis." he imagined how the vain lord would preen. "But its mate should come from my niece." It would remind him to stay true to her. Little did he suspect that Nicci might have other ideas.

"I should think that a trip to Basildon would be a nice break from the foul air of the city," he remarked. "It will not be worth the visit unless you are there my dear," he teased in agreement.

"or Loki." she replied.

The beauty of it was that if her part in it was discovered, it would only be evidence of performing her royally ordained role. Really, she should dare something even more provocative, just to see how far the boundaries could be pushed. She should be the most unruly misrule. Misrule that might make everyone gasp with eyes wide... or misrule so outrageous to have that role forbidden from now on. She would be the very last Misrule in England, ah, with such notoriety in that. That was something to aim for, if she could dare. If there was enough in it for her to benefit, then she just might.

But they were considering his youngest son, and he told her a little of his plight, completing upon a question. Was he thinking what she had thought, well a variant of that thought. Her brown eyes met his, and she was silent a moment.

"When I was in Paris, and, especially poor, I made some times for my friends Love Potions, for a few sou. It was for their fun, nothing very serious, but sometimes it seemed to work. Not when it was given to someone else to drink. But if it was drunk by someone who hoped for love.

"To drink a love potion, and believe it makes love come, is like a gift of confidence, and the eyes opened to see.

"So I shall not try to match this one with that one, that would not likely work. But I would only open eyes to chance with the letters. Do you see? Tell someone that they have an admirer, and then they will look for it, and see who is admiring them. Push someone to dare act on their heart, and they might take the step they have hesitated to take. This is what I think anyhow... La, you are right, it much more Cupid than Loki."

"If I see you son at the Ball, I will see if I can make him smile, and forget this other a little while?" she checked this with Lord Daventry first.

Then he teased her, and she beamed, delighted both of his mock-flirtation and that he would visit them! "Perhaps in the spring, when the gardens are waking up again. Do you love gardens Lord Daventry?"

"God helps those that help themselves and it is the same with your love potions it seems," Finch observed. Perhaps all magic was like that.

"By all means play Cupid. It is harmless fun and who knows what matches might happen," he encouraged. It was the time of year for such things. "I shall introduce you to Hen at the ball. If there is an Irish woman with him he is apt to pay you little heed I fear."

"Who does not like gardens?" he countered. "I do some of my best thinking in gardens, other than libraries that is. The combination of both is probably best." He smiled as if in agreement for the timing of his visit.

Nicolette nodded as he said he'd introduce her at the ball - she was not about to tell Lord Daventry that his son was her emergency backup plan. Which meant she did not want to meet this cousin's cousin yet. For as her life was currently it would be premature to apply her charm upon Hen, as it would be prior to a catastrophe, catastrophe that might never even happen.

Rather, she wanted to spend lovely time with Heneage senior.

"A garden library?" she chuckled, happy of the idea. "Though watering plants would not mix with books very well - what say a garden room that is adjoined by a library. Yes that would be the most perfect combination I am sure."

"When you come to Basildon, we shall be able to picnic in the gardens too. Now that is a way to make reading in the garden even better, when there is tasty food and drinks too."

"Mmm... do you have a favourite flower, Lord Daventry?" a thought was tugging at her mind, a request she'd intended to ask the adorable Ranelagh, but really, it might hold appeal to the Chancellor instead. And Ranelagh, well what would he ask from her in return.

It did seem rather impractical when Nicolette mentioned it. He had suggested it mostly as a feeble attempt to be charming to such a charming young woman. "Perhaps next to the garden room then, or perhaps a planter box inside the library below the window. Plants have a way of freshening a room ... much like you," he offered in another attempt to flatter such a remarkable relation.

"Favorite flower? I fear I am rather old fashion about such things. I should think a white rose, not because I am a Yorkist mind you." He made reference to the War of the Roses. "I just think they look lovely and pure." Much like you young girl. He did not wish to overdo the flattery, not that he was used to flattering ladies at all. Yet, Nicolette drew it forth from him as a bee might darw forth honey.

"A picnic would be lovely. Perhaps we will have a spot of sun to warm everyone." His smile reflected a memory of such a day in his far past.

Nicolette's eyes slid towards Heneage snr then - the first flattery might have been a politeness, but this now was something else again. "Now now Lord Daventry..." she tutted in a soft voice, (with pretence of scolding, though her tone was plainly delighted) "if you say such things as that, I shall have fanciful thoughts of you."

It was a bit too late to prevent that already, as she sensed that he might not protest too much if she made an advance. And oh goodness, he was adorably cute as he tried to explain away his favourite flower! "And I have thought that white flowers are the most fragrant." she added with happiness inside.

Nicolette decided then and there to ask. "Mmm... Lady Worchester and I have secret plan for next year, it is for the beauty of London, where we do not have enough gardens in the town. We want to put potted plants upon every corner, for the beauty of nature will lift peoples spirits." While talking, she shifted her chair to sit a little closer. "We were wondering to what plant to have - now I am thinking perhaps the white rose?"

Originally she'd been thinking of asking Ranelagh what flower he might like, perhaps something Irish, it might be subtly political in a pleasing to him way. But Ranelagh was not here right now, and this French miss was fancying she might seduce the charming older man.

"Lady Worchester has garden houses we can grow the cuttings in. And I said I would try to find a sponsor to buy the pots."

The older man beamed as Nicolette flattered him back. It was enough to make him feel a bit younger and more energetic, even if but a moment.

"A grand project indeed," he acknowledged. "Heaven knows that London could do with a better look and a better smell." The city had a horrid stench, especially in the sweltering days of summer. "You shall need thousands, if not millions, to change the whole city. I suppose you should focus on one neighborhood at a time or it may become unwieldy, if not prohibitively expensive," he advised. "You shall need sponsors surely." It was then that he realized that he may have just volunteered to be a sponsored. For an awkward moment he was not quite sure what to say. In the end, he chose silence to the alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

"Big projects need to start somehow." She reminded the Chancellor, who seemed to think the task too daunting for a pair of woman to take on. "Even God begun with a little Garden of Eden."

He almost volunteered to sponsor it, well, he pointed out that she would need sponsors at least. Then fell hush.

"Yes. I am thinking to ask the Lord Ranelagh." her eyes fixed upon him, silent upon that thought also. Ranelagh was well known to sponsor the Chelsea Physic, the renown womaniser was an obvious choice. But surely Heneage snr. would draw the same conclusions on that as she had.

"But."

Dark lashes blinked.

"Yes yes, quite right." Finch did not wish to discourage Nicolette.

"Ah Lord Ranelagh is known to have exotic gardens and flowers from the Orient. There was a court case of a man suing a merchant from the Orient not so long ago, for breach of contract. It seems that there was a blood red flower more fragrant than our own roses. It is called a camellia. Must have been named after a woman named Camille, which is hardly a Chinese name, but the plaintiff alleged that the flower was worth 500 pounds, if you could believe that. We know one flower that we cannot afford to plant in London." It was his attempt at levity and he chuckled, hoping that Nicci would see the humor in it.

As she batted her eyelashes at him, the older man's defenses began to melt. "How can I be of assistance?"

Archived