JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Shopping Along the Strand (Early Afternoon 12/29)- Xmas 1677

The morning had been spent at the Solicitor, leaving a few hours to stop by Somerset Palace to see if all was in order with the regiment and see if there might have been word from Davina. Then, it was on to the Strand to find New Year's presents. Elam had followed along to make the discreet purchases.

There was the visit to the jeweler to purchase a locket for Davina. While he was there, he purchased a different one for Catherine Sedley. Both were simple enough pieces. Both would be delivered to him later. Then, he had Elam go in and order the tricorn hat with the swan feather for Susan Herbert with a note wishing her a happy holidays from Leo.

Now it was time to look for a gift for the King, so he looked about for that knick knack shop he had found in May when he had been looking for a gift then. He had found the jade statuette that was some oriental sign of fertility then. He had been extremely fortuante last time, but would he be this time? If nothing right was there, perhaps he could find an interesting book at the bookshop. He was out of ideas at present and needed to look in various stores for inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the sober-minded gentleman mind was too distracted with his own thoughts and plans -- as a a man of physical prowess there was hardly any other excuse for 'the incident'.

Quietly minding his own business the Earl strolled along The Strand: the smell of fruit mince pies wafted, chill nipped at nose and fingertips, yonder churchbell had just chimed the quarter after two, and a shape in red velevet cloak burst around the corner and bodyslammed!

"Oh!" with a shriek the figure (half a foot shorter than he) bounced off! A pair of wide open hazel eyes met his as the young lady would fall...

OOC: there is time to try catch her if you want to attempt it! *warms up the dice*

Rudely brought out of his inner thoughts, the Earl instinctively reacted to the violent collision. Only the hazel eyes of the young woman caused Charles to swallow the curse that was about to be unleashed. As she began to fall, he reached out to try and prevent it. The ground was covered in muddy slush and no fit place for anyone of gentle breeding.

"Terribly sorry," he muttered as his hat was askew with the impact. It was always the fault of a gentleman when there was a collision with a lady. He hoped he might save her from the fall.

One foot pitched upwards in the slush, those pretty bright eyes that had flared now lurched downwards with speed.

CW's reflexes were sharp, he snatched to save, and caught her forearm! Alas, a goodly portion of her person was beyond that point, the side of her cloak was dunked into the slurry of the footpath and extended hand took a jolt.

"Not as sorry as I am..." The ladies voice was peaky, and as she turned her face back to him with embarrassment within a tumble of light brown hair, darks of her eyes dilated a second time. Lower lip was bit.

On the ground a pretty hair comb glinted.

He had saved her person, but not all her clothing from the slush. Once he had her righted again, he noticed the comb in the mud. "One moment," he beckoned as he knelt to retrieve it. Taking out his handkerchief he cleaned the mud as best as he could under the circumstances. "Your comb."

"I am Charles Whitehurst, Earl of Landgon. Was someone chasing you? Are you quite alright?" He looked behind to insure that no blackguard had given chase. His own scarlet uniform would make the woman's cloak.

"It was terribly clumsy of me..." Alice hand moved to his upper arm to steady herself, pink suffusing her cheeks as she decided that this incident not so terrible after all. "I am Alice de Courtenay, Lord Avons sister. I am fine, I was just startled is all. But I have had plenty of starts, and quite swift at recovery, I am pleased to say."

Then he was crouching to collect her comb, wiping it clean, such a gentlemen. The wet on her glove had her then offer her hand for his handkerchiefs drying-attention also.

"No I was just... Well, can you keep a secret Lord Langdon?" she gave a small smile, with a glance over her shoulder she leaned closer as though to speak.

Her glove was dried as well as Charles awaited the introduction. She seemed familiar to him somehow.

Once introduced he recalled hearing of her at court. He thought that it had been Charles Blount who had spoken of her, and may have introduced her a few Christmases ago. Fortunately she did not seem to scold him for forgetting her. In fact, she seemed to not remember him, so maybe they had not been introduced.

"A pleasure." He knew of Lord Avon. He was a Catholic lord if Charles recalled correctly. When a secret was offered, how could he say otherwise? "Of course I can keep a secret," he replied, thereby encouraging Alice to reveal more.

She stayed particularly still as he dried her glove. It seemed rather intimate she thought, quite risque even for a pair just newly met and stood on a street corner. "Thank you." that same gloved hand now closed around her hair comb.

In the whirr of faces that court could be, she knew his face to be distantly familiar, but knew no details of him particularly. If Lord Blount had introduced them (and that was entirely likely knowing the man), the circumstances of their brief time together had not been enough to forumate lasting impressions - which was not to say that current impressions might be far more memorable.

Free hand slid into pocket. "Then we had best move from here..." with a flash that betrayed her inner imp, the secret from her pocket was placed in his hand, and with a tug to his elbow she moved away from that alleyway she'd just existed with haste from.

Did he recall the fragrance of fresh baked fruit mince pies? One of them was now in his own hand.

The young earl was at something of a loss as Alice placed some pie into his hand. The gift had been unexpected and her manner seemed cloaked in mystery. What could it mean that she wanted to move away quickly?

Surely not! If she had purchased the pie there would be no reason for secrecy. Surely it had not been ... purloined. How could a gentleman ask such a question. "Ah ... ." He found himself speechless. "Is there a reason ...?" He was hoping she would supply something without him asking more, as he moved away in the direction indicated.

• 3 weeks later...

Charming fellow that he was looked surprised, and asked her if there was a reason. The look on his face was absolutely perfect, a better reward she could not ask for! Flashing a smile she replied "Yes -- Because I can!" her eyes sparked and she laughed of the fun as she let loose of his elbow to skip away.

'Alice, thy name is trouble' ~ a saying her elder brother made of her.

She skipped past a doorway, glancing at the sign above it, sharp mind understanding what trade it plied.

"Had you heard of the Young Dukes Lord Langdon? My brother tells me that they have all reformed now. Now how about that, and yet it sounds like they had the greatest of larks, like they could so quite anything they wanted, why would anyone reform from doing that?" Retracing her steps to that doorway she paused at it. Then with a look in Charles direction Alice took a long stride though -- a rather slow long stride at that -- challenging -- or even inviting him to halt her entering such a place.

The swinging sign above the door a the door read 'Tally Hoes'.

Had Alice just admitted to thievery? Surely not. Did she not realize that he was a living embodiment of the King's justice? Apparently not. How could someone be so carefree after thievery? It was a sin and a crime. Neither became a lady well.

What was he to do with the pie in his hand? It was greasy and he had no desire to consume it. Looking for a urchin to give it to, Charles looked uncomfortable as he sought to unload his unexpected bounty.

That discomfort was about to be magnified when he realized that Alice intended to enter a ... house of ill repute. "You do not want to go in there," he warned quietly. "It is no place for a lady. It is a place for ... women who sell favors." That was the most gentle way to put it he imagined. Surely that would convince her.

The look upon his face shifted then, to one she recognised well. Her brother the Lord Avon had given it to her often.

Alice sighed, her step redirected back to the footpath. She was silent a time. Her fun (briefly) thwarted. She examined the cobble at his feet, entirely unaware of the eyes-glowing gratitude of a urchin in receipt of the pie. "Thank you Mister!" and the lad ran away

"I suppose you have entirely the wrong impression of me now." Alice sighed, "though I'm hardly surprised...

"...It's really all your own fault don’t you know. Young ladies like me are so prone to trying to impress eligible gentlemen any way they might. And you are such a man are you not. Fairly flaunting yourself on the streets like that. Why really, this was quite inevitable." The girl lifted her face, her fringe had fallen forwards that she now peeked at Charles though its parting - one eyebrow risen, wondering if he'd play along with her story.

There was fun in it, she thought, and she was fully determined to find some fun this afternoon.

How could anyone admit to having a wrong impression? So, Charles started to object immediately, only to find that she was blaming him him somehow. It took a moment for him to comprehend the argument that Alice was advancing. Impress eligible gentlemen. That was always a dangerous thing to mention to a gentleman that was not seeking marriage at the moment. Likewise, the earnest young lord never viewed himself as flaunting his uniform about on the streets, even though it was likely a fair observation.

What could he do? Gentlemen could not allow a lady to take blame for something. Yet, was he to admit to flaunting himself in the streets? And, had she not stolen the pie before even meeting to him? The right outcome was to not take seriously anything she said; yet, Charles was in uniform on the street and was in the setting to be more serious than he might be in more private settings.

"I am not sure how best to respond," he ventured diplomatically. "I do not have a wrong impression of you, I assure you." His impression of her that she was dangerous. That was likely fair. After all, what sort of lady stole pies and attempted to enter bordellos? Poorly trained ones, or ones that sought danger.

"Perhaps our collision may have ..." he was trying to find a way to take blame from her "shaken you ... momentarily. I should have been more careful."

She was peering at him intently: his face went terribly serious, while her own feigned soberness came under a threat thereby. Then his answer.

It was no good! Alice burst into laughter, grinning and cheerful. "Oh Lord Langdon, how adorable you are! You are by far the most serious fellow I have ever met! Well, besides my brother that is. You would get along famously with Eddy..." her nickname for her eldest brother. "But I am only teasing you, see?" she gave him a little nudge, it was a nudge that held some apology, though he might not understand.

"I was never going to go inside that place don’t you know. Why really I hardly intend to actually do half the things I say I shall, but don’t tell my brother, he loves to anguish about me." she was grinning still.

"If you like, you can tell my brother how you saved me from making a terrible mistake. He will be so grateful I am sure, he'll probably own you a favour of some sort even. And I shan't mind the trouble I'd land in. I am always in trouble, it's the best way to be. Nobody shall ever call me a boring and dull girl."

Which was perhaps partly why Heather had liked Alice, they were both daring.

"Would you like to buy me a sherbet milk?" the cheery lass paused outside a shop that sold sweets and treats. She turned sparking eyes to look into his own, “though if you don’t, I could always steal one.” She was grinning with her tease, but perhaps he’d still take her quite seriously.

The laughter was a welcome salve. It allowed an awkward moment to transcend into something more enjoyable. His serious face began to melt with her declaration. "Oh I see. It was just a jest." he began to laugh too, mostly in relief. "You had me worried for a bit," he confessed, now that they could speak more freely.

As for the sherbert milk, Charles replied "gladly." It made the stealing idea become a jest, and so he imagined that Alice had paid for the pie that he gave away. Signalling the vendor, he ordered two milks. He might taste some as well. "So what are you really shopping for today?"

Smoothing down the fabric of her bodice, Alice beamed happily as their drinks were ordered. "Well actually I need to find a gift for my friend Lady Somerset." she said. Francis deDourtenay was close frineds with Francis Seymour, and Alice had become friens with Lucy though them.

"Are you gift shopping also? it's so easy to get distracted, I've already brought three things for myself, but still nothing for her."

"Thank you." she gave the stallholder a smile also for his trouble. The milk drinks were a little fizzy, and flavoured something like strawberry, given to them in simple unmarked cups. Alice took a sip, murmuring of it's yumminess and licking her lip clean before she continued, "There used to be a curiosity shop around here somewhere, I was trying to find it." She took anotehr sip, eyes turning to regard Charles as she did so.

Charles did not know Lady Somerset. There were a couple of Lady Somersets as he recalled, but was not sure. "The young Duchess?" If so, that would be the sister of Louis Killington. The other was married to a Somerset that was a Worcester as he recalled.

"I am looking for ideas for the King and the Duke of Ablemarle. I have some items to give but I thought one more visit to the curiosity shoppe was in order. They have all sorts of things. I think it is up ahead and down an alley if I recall correctly." He motioned in that direction if she wished to accompany him.

"What did you purchase for yourself?" It might tell him more about her likes and dislikes, and it might give him ideas for gifts for his lady friends.

"She likes to be called Lucy." Alice nodded her head, "Though she also likes to be called Your Grace the Duchess of Somerset!" and the chattersome lass gave a laugh of that, "I would too it if I was a Duchess, I'd want to hear people say my title just all the time."

"The King is a hard one. I'm lucky because my brother is buying him a gift from the family you see. But you are getting a for Albemarle too? He's colonel now or some suchm, is that why you are going to get him a gift? Because you are a lifeguard too?"

"It's not down that alley, I already checked down there." she gave a shrug of that alley she'd appeared out of. "Maybe it's that next one there?" She turned and looked towards the sherbet milk seller, she supposed they could not leave till they gave him back his cups. She took another big sip.

"Well I brought a beading loom." she became animated, "Oh yes, I'd never seen such a thing before either. It's like a tiny little weaving loom, with ten maybe twenty threads that beads can be woven, it makes like a beadwork ribbon. How marvellous! I do like to have something to keep busy with on quiet evenings you see." she added the latter for she suddenly thought that a man might think that seemed rather boring.

"I also brought a lovely lace collar. And I found a beautiful set of teaspoons for my hope chest, though really, they aren’t for my hope chest. I just say that for anything that Eddy might complain of when he receives the delivery and bill. He shall love them to though, each handle is fashioned into a different type of flower. They are so pretty!"

She took a final large gulp of her drink, eyes blinking and watering some as she discovered the most potent part of the fizzy was sunk to the bottom! Swallowing (for there was no other choice), Alice looked about as she wished there was a drink to wash away the drink! Spluttering, she warned, "Careful of the dregs, they are, ooo, too much..." and she coughed a little more.

Charles imagined what it might like to be called your grace. Though he might dream, he knew that the odds of that were virtually nil. He was lucky to be an earl, let alone a viscount. He had already achieved most of what anyone could wish for in a lifetime, and he was only 23 years old!

When a question arose about the location of the curiosity shop, Charles thought to ask the milk peddler, just to be sure. There was no use walking in circles. Less of an enthusiastic drinker, Charles never got to the bottom of the cup, happy to turn over the mug to the vendor after pouring out the dregs.

"They sound like lovely items," Charles played along with Alice. As a young man, he had little appreciation for gifts that women enjoyed.

"A bead loom. Is that something that a young lady might like to receive as a gift?" Charles inquired genuinely. Would Catherine want something like that? He had already agreed to swap lockets with Davina, so she was taken care of, as far as a gift. Perhaps the lace collar was better for Catherine.

"I have not seen your brother around court very much," Charles observed as they began to walk away from the vendor. "It cannot be easy for someone of his religion to be here." By that he mean a Papist. He did not wish to utter such a word in public. "Are you not in the same position?" It was a kind way to ask if she was a Catholic. These days he was less eager to consort with them.

• 2 weeks later...

"It depends upon the lady I think, if she enjoys needlework then definitely yes." Alice replied, with no idea that he was thinking of lovers. She was blissfully unaware, and thought she had the handsome lifeguards sole attention! "Ahh..." she hesitated around the subject, then added with cheeks pinking, "...if the gentleman happens to know she already has a bead loom, he could always buy her some pretty beads to use in it."

Would Charles buy her some beads? It was possible.

"And then the lady might..." her imagination had her continue, "...might make the gentlmen a pair of beaded pocket-cuffs, or perhaps an embellishment for his cravat pin." Was Charles still naive enough of women, that he did not notice her looking at his plain pocket cuffs at that moment, and too, his cravat.

Here the salesman was grateful for the return of cups, and relayed a set of instructions for finding the Curiosity shop. "Thank you, and happy Christmas!" Alice chimed, linking her arm though Charles without nary a thought he'd object as they struck out.

"Oh no, I am in a completely different position to my brothers. It's like the Duke of York, and Princess Mary. Mary was raised Anglican, despite her Father being - not. But really, I think there is rather too much fuss about such these days, I know my brother is as kind and honest as the day is long, while Lord Danby, well, his religion does not lessen his sins now does it. I think a fellows character what we ought really be thinking about. Your character for instance, dear Lord Langdon, is so very charming I find. I'd hardly care what religion you were when deciding if I should trust you or not." the lass gave a little smile at her outrageous boldness as she swung along beside Charles.

"Why, I would say I can trust you Implicitly. or Complicity? Or, perhaps both." She blinked, not terribly sure if there was even a difference in those words meaning.

Needlework was something of a mystery to Charles. Ladies used a needle and thread and somehow came up with embroidery. He did not really understand the science or art behind it. It required too much patience. How beads worked with needlepoint was equally foreign to him.

When Alice's cheeks pinked and she mentioned receiving beads, it began to dawn on him that she might be thinking he was going to give her some gift. Why would he? He hardly knew her. There was an awkward moment as he wondered whether he should say something. He elected not to do so, other than to nod. Maybe she will forget it. That was a most naive thought.

The conversation moved to religion, sparking further awkward moments. She answered in such a way that Charles was not sure of her religion. The reference to Princess Mary suggested she was Anglican. Yet, the way she was so defensive about the subject, made him wonder whether she was a Catholic, like her brother.

"Yes, I think that character is separate of religion. There are good and bad persons of each religion," he acknowledged. "Sadly, many people of London seem to think that there are nothing but bad Catholics. Your brother will face difficult times, I fear, until this anxiety passes." If ever. "Sadly, you will be judged by the company and family you have. So, you should be careful and not walk alone these streets." His words were sincere, wondering where Alice's maid was. "Yes, you can trust me completely," he assured her, not thinking anything out of the ordinary. "I have His Majesty's trust." It was not to brag but to reinforce his credentials for trustworthiness.

He would rarely reject a lady sliding her arm through his, so there was no thought to it. "Let us find the shop then," he urged. They had proper directions now.

Alice fell quiet after his lecture, needing to revise her earlier thoughts that he might buy her a gift this festive season. She had tried to downplay her families Catholic-ness, but he thought it too big an issue, told her she was judged by others, and she was not so foolish to think that did not include him.

She gave a soft sigh of it, then turned her porcelain fine cheek to examine a pretty in a window as they passed. "Ooh look, purple ribbon, have you any idea how hard it is to get purple! You must wait for me, I wont be a minute!"

The lass happily nipped into the shop, intent to buy the entire reel! (or more accurately she'd put it on her brothers account for delivery).

It was a good ten minutes later that she exited the shop, and looked about to where the waiting Earl might have been?

ooc: an op for Charles to carry on solo if he likes? You can pick up the scene either way inside the shop.

Inside the Curiosity shoppe...

fyi; previous day in the shop

Alice impulsively chased after some ribbon and told him to wait. He was not the type to abandon her when she was traveling alone in the city. Perhaps, if she had companions, he could have made his apologies. As such, he waited. How many men have been promised by their companions that a detour into a shop would take but a minute, only to be left outside forlornly for a much greater time?

A few minutes ticked away as he watched people pass. As the time lengthened, he paced about, thinking that he might enter the shop and encourage her departure. Having rejected that idea for several minutes, his mind was beginning to rethink it.

It was then that Alice emerged. He was starting to move towards the door as she exited. "I was beginning to think you had been kidnapped and that I would need to rescue you." He stated it with enough humor that it would not come across as a criticism, but would mark the time. "You acquired the ribbon you needed I assume?"

"Come then, let us find what curiosities await, if you are willing to accompany me." He offered his arm if she wished to take it. The Curiosity Shoppe was not far and it was his plan to enter and take stock of what might have been added since his last trip in May.

Alice half expected him to have left - she was from a catholic family, he probably did not want to be seen with her. Hazel eyes blinked with surprise to see him there still waiting (even if he did not sound very pleased about the wait!)

"Yes, yes I got the ribbon." she replied. She'd brought some other things too, they'd all be delivered to Avon Place on St. James Square. "I used it to tie up the kidnappers when they attacked, just because they are criminals does not mean they cant be stylish." and tipping her chin upward in a cocky manner she retook his arm for their continued trek.

Here they finally arrived at the curiosity shop....

Like Sophia and Nicolette on the day before, Alice became captivated by the octopus brooch.

OOC: use what you like from the previous threads descriptions.

The octopus brooch was a thing to behold but he could hardly give such a gift to the Queen. There was a spotted animal fur that was mildly interesting. The books were rather boring, though there were some naughty bits in one of them. Charles peeked to make sure Alice was not nearby.

He was looking for a map or globe of the world, one which might display the whole of the English colonial empire. That might be suitable to give the King or the Duke.

The pair were left to their own devices a time, moving about the shop... a musky sweet incense smell lingered in the air.

When a man with exotic skin colouring stepped from the back room, allowing his presence be known, though not pressing in upon the noble customers that browed here.

In his hunt for maps, Charles would see a couple of rolled vellum documents in the glass display case that held the books. Then there was a basket tucked off to the side with a collection of tubes, their contents unknown. There were no globes visible. There was a painting on the wall of an exotic shoreline, palms and such, with a ship moored in a harbour where longboats filled with aboriginals were going either to or from.

Disappointed that there was no globe, Charles moved to peruse the maps. No doubt the King had a wealth of maps. What he needed to find was something unique. That would be difficult.

The painting of some foreign tropical location caught the Earl's attention for a moment as he tried to imagine what it would be like to live in such a place. It seemed to be a place that was eternally warm, something very welcome when there was snow falling outside. Yet, it did not seem like a good gift for a monarch. What did one give someone who had everything?

The bucket with tubes caught his interest for a moment. Charles was unsure whether it was just a bucket with tubes or it had a purpose.

The tubes were enclosed, and were the sort that also contained documents. "The collection came from an old mariner." The shopkeeper supplied as he noticed Charles noticing. "His personal collection of charts, with annotations. Areas to avoid, notes on the types of fishes to be found there, even sea monsters. One of the charts within says to have a reliably safe passage around the Horn."

"Hmmm," Langdon mumbled as he looked through the maps and charts. He had been a midshipman once and new something of charts, but he doubted any would capture the eye of the King, even those professing insights into the legendary sea monsters.

He continued his walk to the counter to look what else might be on display, nodding to the oddly colored man. "Have you any interesting clocks or mechanisms by chance?" The King liked science and mechanical gadgets might hold some appeal.

"There is a Clocksmith in Friday street, John Grey, clockmaker to the King in fact." the shop keep replied.

"Might I guess that you are looking for a unique gift for His Majesty?" it was an easy guess made. Nobility had been in and out of his shop all week looking for that something special, for a remarkable item that would set them uniquely apart. Funny how those people all seemed to leave it till four minutes to midnight to shine.

"It just so happens I have been saving this especially precious item. Will you wait a minute, while I fetch it from my safe?" He asked in a hushed voice.

Alice's ears were piqued, and leaving the cabnet of jewels, she aproached the counter with Charles so she could see.

Archived