JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Acts of '61&'73 | Chapel. 30th/10am- Xmas 1677

He'd hoped to talk to somebody unofficially about it, Basildon, Shaftesbury, or Norfolk -- was there anyone else he knew to ask? But really a mans choices were always his own. George's had always been thus (though of course his trail of decisions had run from 'poor' to 'worse' in the past.) Reassurance would have been... reassuring. And he had many questions.

But the first step that he could fathom, was his conversion to Anglicanism, which allow his completion of the first requirment for a political career. For a career where he might achieve something with his life.

So it was that George entered the Chapel that morning.

The Royal Chapel

Close by to the Banqueting House exists the Royal Chapel.

Seven broad stone steps lead up to the old building; grand arched double doors are wide open. Within, great vaulted wooden ceilings capture a great volume of air above the congregation - high above heavenly depictions look lovingly upon the mahogany pews. Candles flicker in sconces, the building itself is not overly well lit - behind the altar stained glass windows filter the light in a brilliance of colours.

A priest moves quietly about lighting tapers, available to tend to the needs of the flock.

It was not the first time he'd been here, he'd attended a service last year, had felt awkward and uncertain, not sure of what he thought to do. This time, he was bolder of it, his mind was settled upon the course.

He looked about for a priest, to whom he could speak.

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas Sprat was present in the chapel that morning. He thought that it might inspire his thoughts for his upcoming sermons. He was known as a compelling writer and was quite the interesting man. He was pleasantly plump with court decadence and seemed to be in good spirits.

As the personal chaplain of the King, Sprat was a rather well-known personage. If not for that, he was also a member of the Royal Society.

Finding the man, George made approach (the fashion-sensitive Earl could not help himself but note Sprats fine head of hair).

Catching his eye before speaking George uttered, "Excuse me... might you be free to assist me. Ah, Reverend Sprat is it not? I am George Hardwick, Earl of Chichester... and weighted with queries that a man of your calling might ease."

Sprat smiled, "Indeed, you are correct."

He cast his eyes around and then, seeing no one else, said in a light manner, "It would seem I am quite free!"

Chichester was a handsome man and a recognizable personage. Even were it not for the misfortunes that had cast the earl's name about, Sprat ran in circles with other writers, and artists oft found themselves in the company of writers.

"How might I be of service?"

"Excellent." George said, and then gave a glance at the pew. "Ah may we sit, my topic is not one to be stood for methinks."

George wished to adopt a certain air of confidence, of anticipated alliance or friendship even. If one could not trust a clergyman in a church-house, who could one trust?! Sitting with Sprat seemed a first step towards this.

"My interest is conversion, Reverend. As an associate said to me just recently, 'England First'. There comes a time when a man's eyes are opened, just as mine now are, and it is my desire to pitch my full lot in with England, our King, and his Church." The dark eyes Earl introduced his topic in studious earnest. "So it is that I seek advice to the due process."

Sprat nodded and gestured for the earl to sit in one of the pews before he joined the gentleman.

He listened with interest and then his eyes grew some as the earl confessed to wishing to leave the Papist faith. To have such a thing delivered to one's lap was rare. Sprat nodded.

"It is not very difficult, my lord. One must deny the traditions and excesses of the Catholic Church and the supremacy of the Pope. Beyond that it is mostly as simple as taking the Eucharist according to the Church of England and then swearing the various oaths required by the state which deny transubstantiation and other bit of mysticism."

"Ah.." George nodded, "quite simple. One might say that the greatest part of the exercise is the process leading up to the decision, I had wondered if that might be the case. But had not wished to assume." a small smile was then given.

The matter of transubstantiation was one of those pivotal things to the Catholic faith, and that those raised outside it had the greatest trouble to understand. Yet as a man who's faith had never been terribly strong, who'd held onto it more out of stubbornness than anything else, it was not such a troubling thing to eschew. He'd not attended a Catholic service since in the past few years, and could not recall the last time he'd done confession.

"Do these things need to be done prior to attending the Anglican service?" he felt foolish to ask such a feeble question. "It is just, well I once attended a service, here in fact, last year. But felt, ah, awkward of it." he quietly admitted.

"Indeed, it is not so serious a matter to go in the direction you wish to go. Now the other, well, far more difficult and involved," Sprat said. He was a practical sort of man and very learned, but he was surely nothing near a Puritan or even a Quaker in his religiosity. He had a humor about him.

"We are, after all, speaking about the same God, just differ in our interpretation on the word of Christ and such delicate matters. If the followers of Christ got together at the Council of Nicea and decided upon matters, then there is little to not stop them from coming together again and deciding upon matters. There are always those who disagree on this or that, but you will find the State faith allows for a more personal relationship with the divine."

He did feel that he needed to sell such matters a bit. The fellow was speaking about converting. He did not wish to give the man second-thoughts after all.

"Swearing the oaths is a matter of State, so I should think it would require the Lord Chancellor or perhaps it is done at the next sitting of Lords. You might ask his lordship. As to the taking the Eucharist, it could be done either way." Sprat smiled at the awkward image of the earl retreating the chapel that sprang to his mind. "There is little wrong with hearing a service. You should have stayed."

• 2 weeks later...

George listened, adding Sprats thoughts, tone even, to the less complete understanding of Anglicanism that he possessed.

"We, ah, I mean they are rather more structured, even perhaps less welcoming." Conversion into Catholicism would be a far larger task. George frowned a little, the liberty of Sprats thought was unexpected, encouraging even. And Sprat talked of a more personal relationship with God - which he supposed related to the lesser role of the Priest as a mediary.

Quietly George asked, "I must admit that it has been some years now since my last confession. I have thought that the Heavenly Father, in knowing all things is aware of each ones shortfalls, yet I would hope, have hoped, that he is as aware of the good intents." The Earl's eyes lifted to meet Sprats at that moment.

He nodded upon the matter of the Political requirement of swearing the oaths. He had been uncertain. "I shall write him." he replied quietly of the Lord Chancellor, who would know.

"In hindsight, I would say that I was not yet ready." George replied of that Church service however long ago, "The journey of a life cannot be rushed, yet now, I am more than yearning for it. This, personal relationship with one's maker that you speak of, I, think I yearn for that the most of all." he felt a bit embarrassed to admit it. Thoughts of his own dysfunctional relationship with his flesh and blood father were in the back of his mind, and that this might somehow mend the missing space inside seemed a possibility.

"How might I begin... would. Would you pray with me, an introduction of a sorts?" George felt oddly emotional, exposed, though was that odd really? This was a very big thing he was doing, how did a man tell God that they were changing religons? Course, God already knew. But. Still.

"Then you have, in heart, already decided some time ago. If you believed those Papist tenants you would be in fear of going to Hell at this moment with sins on your hand." Catholics bordered on superstition in the way they held their beliefs.

"Not that you are sinful, my lord, but it is my knowledge that all men sin. It is part of our condition, the mark of initial sin that is left on us. If there were no temptations, there would be no tests or measures of faith. Much monotony too, perhaps." He chuckled. Sprat found it very easy to speak to most people. He was jovial and witty in mannerism and conversation, so it was little wonder the king's spiritual life was chosen for his hands.

"I have always found much power in a man in the moment where his mind and his will come together with his actions. There is much power in knowing your proper moment, no matter what your aim, as the Duke of Buckingham would say." Sprat had been the duke's chaplain before the king's.

"Surely I will, though prayer in our faith can be quite silent, from my understanding many of the Catholic prayers are meant to be said with true words, not thoughts." Though he had never seen them himself. "You need no intermediary, and our books are in English and said as such too. You can have them to read without need to memorize."

• 3 weeks later...

Privately, George had never been very assured of going to heaven. For Gods forgiveness required contrition, and some of his sins he'd failed to fully feel remorseful of, indeed had not even confessed them before a priest. So perhaps it 'suited' George far better, to shift towards a more lenient, a more understanding religious ethic.

Yet here as they sat, and as Sprat warmed to his topic, his personality and wit became more visible. Though so serious minded George's lips twisted to a lopsided grin, "Yet the thought of seeking out opportunities to test ones faith would not be hallmark of a good Christian - though such an adventurous spirit, in theory at least, has me feel a certain indulgence towards him. Would our Lord the Heavenly Father feel likewise I wonder." he paused realising thee topic seemed to have diverted, though he felt entirely comfortable as it did so. Spratt was an intuitive man.

"Knowing your proper moment..." he ruminated the thought, "Now being the operative moment, it is all to easy to stall. The Duke is no coward to action." that Buckingham recommended the power of action was not so surprising really, though pleasing to hear stated like that. Encouraging.

"Another of the differences." George acknowledged, of silent prayer. "It is akin to this personal relationship perhaps. For prayer uttered only in the heart rather than to the echo of walls... hmm, makes me think it like inviting The Lord into ones secret chamber, the body itself. Like the passage that the Spirit of God is within you?" he was speculating a little.

A thought that had been unspoken earlier returned to him again.

"Is there a study group, that meet to talk such things together?" he asked, though more precisely he wondered if there was a group led by Spratt.

• 2 weeks later...

"Very much like that," Sprat agreed.

As to study groups, Sprat licked his lips and thought.

"There are some times when gentlemen discuss or debate such things, but I do not know if there are any formal groups," the jolly man said. "Courtiers are...not generally among the most pious. Literary and scientific groups I am far more aware of," he added with a chuckle. Sprat was the historian of the Royal Society and was well-known as a writer (of both non-fiction and fiction).

"That is something of a sad state as some of my more stately colleagues would say, though the fact that much of everything is written in English, anyone can learn and read one's fill, so perhaps there is less need than the Catholics have for such communal teachings." Where things were still written in the classical language and mostly Latin.

"I would stay away from the more vociferous and staunch of the preachers in town," he added. The common folk had a different take than the High Anglicanism of court, and there still were plenty of the more puritanical. "You do not wish to get their venomous ideas in your head."

"Ah, too bad. I admit that I have always enjoyed philosophy, and the topic of understanding bible verse into application, especially in an embracing rather than condemning manner - is appealing to me."

"But I shall certainly heed your voice, and not take council from soapbox preachers!" he huffed at that. Truth be told, it was probably just as well he received the warning. A mind newly enquiring might otherwise absorbed information from dubious resources.

"I suppose you refer specifically to those that have fuelled the mobs." which gave him pause to comment, "possibly under Jesuit influences." from what George had learnt in days past, Jesuits were bloody trouble makers.

• 2 weeks later...

"Precisely those, yes," Sprat affirmed. "Although I think it popular rumor they are all Jesuits or conspiring with them. I assure you, there are still many Protestants who rail against the decadence of the court and His Majesty. One is more likely to find those publicly and the other privately."

The Papist element could not be as vociferous as the disaffected staunch element of their own religion. Puritans might not have their run of things, but they surely still existed and preached in holes of the city.

"The king is displeased with this discord in his own people, longing for days of toleration, but those days cannot come easily in such a climate. The Jesuits do Catholics more a disservice here than any other body of people."

Indeed, so long as there were militant elements and plots for the mob to fear, there would be no toleration by the common people. Ultimately that led to more Catholic persecution, not less. To Sprat that meant the whole endeavor was selfish and hardly Holy.

George's eyebrows rose in a moment of surprise of the cynicism. Only a moment though, for the comment had the ring of truth to it, and was swiftly assimilated. "Those that would reform society by throwing their voice like ventriloquists; their puppet - any papist walking by, while their audience the bored and idle." he murmured nodding head as it seemed entirely possible.

"I cannot comment for all, yet would say we each shall stand alone upon our own merits and failings when we meet our maker, and it seem to me that we too should look at a mans individual worth. His Majesty is certainly close to godly aspect in his embracing such a view also."

"There was a time when I wished to assist the troubled situation, but with the passing of time I have come to feel that focus upon it, even when with effort to allay, only increases the problem." he looked to Spratt for his comment? "That the best way forward is keep to one's own business."

• 2 weeks later...

"His Majesty has a difficult plight, not a man who enjoys conflict." Which was to say that having a Catholic brother and any number of Catholic friends and having been aided by Catholics in his youthful flight, the king did not enjoy the discord.

"That we shall, each must decide what is right for his own conscience. There are few greater crimes than forcing a man to act against it." Sentiments Sprat shared with not just his royal master but also with Buckingham. Liberty of conscience was an important concept to both, though not always in line with where the country was at in their beliefs.

"Fear is a bad master, for it causes confusion for one's own mind, and the mob is assuredly afraid. A fact of which greater personages take advantage." Sprat considered, "For that matter, many noblemen are afraid as well, of other things. Losing their position, their influence..."

The Papist fear became a method of destruction for those who had no qualms of taking advantage of it, oftentimes fabricating any number of stories against loyal courtiers. It was almost a methodology of blackmailing or extorting the king.

"Action in an atmosphere of fear is never met with logic," Sprat affirmed to the young earl.

George nodded at that, it was indeed a pickle for The King. "It is then a strange irony that much of the uproar is pitched as royalist sentiment, to the very neglect of His Majesties finer sensibilities."

This comment of ‘freedom of conscience’ was new upon his mind. "Now there is a phrase worthy of consideration." he mused, with intent to think deeper upon it in private. It brought to mind the martyrs, those that had refused to compromise even to death. No doubt there were lesser examples, and then again there were those that laboured under misguided belief. "Yet nothing is a pure black or white... in some instances taking on more knowledge, becoming Enlighted if you might say, may alter the perspective of a conscience. Such a man is not forced to betray his conscience, but through education has revised it."

"One in particular comes to mind." George agreed upon Sprats comment of fear being exploited. But that man was disappeared from London, even if his daughter remained. "We live in changing times."

He was particularly interested to hear the Reverend's comment upon his final thought, and the reply when it came, was both sage and sound. 'Action in an atmosphere of fear is never met with logic'. The dark eyed Earl reflected upon that, how could so few words convey so much. "While trust is earned through moderateness." he supposed.

• 2 weeks later...

"Quite true, quite true," Sprat said of George's analysis of Freedom of Conscience. "I did not coin the phrase, though. It is the Duke of Buckingham's, and I believe he picked it up from the Martyred King somehow."

In some circles, the idea of Toleration, Liberty of Conscience, or Freedom of Conscience was a central principle.

"Is it not ironic that faith is supposed to bring man together and yet it brings man apart? A man faced with eternity can be driven to do many things. Freedom of Conscience is an idea by which man can work together for a common good because no man is placed forcibly where he must fear an eternity unfavorably. No man must choose against what he feels is right in his own conscience."

It also made people easier to govern. Religious conflict made ready discord and ready assassins. Neither was good in the king's view! Unfortunately, the idea of Toleration made many Protestants ready assassins and fear-mongerers.

"Ah..." the chain of the concepts migration made great sense. "Charles Stuart the First, martyr'd, could have produced the opposite response in the son. Yet we are blessed, not only by The Kings own wisdom, but also in his selecting the finest of advisors. I can well understand your appointment to the Royal Chapel, your own insight is an uplifting thing to attend to." It was a compliment, which in part reassured the Earl himself that he was doing the best thing. Spratt was a rare man, you may even say he was a god send.

Yet it did not seem so unusual to George, that Religion divided. Perhaps it was his many years of Catholic immersion that had ingrained a philosophy of us and them.

"Toleration requires respect." he uttered upon Sprats comment. "It is respectful to then accept the individuals conscience based choice, which is admittedly a harder thing to do if standing at a point of alternative perspective."

Enjoying the discussion of deeper topics, George then said, "You have whet my appetite well, that I discover utter absence of nerves of Anglican Church attendance, rather, eager anticipation of the topics there expounded." he puffed a amused breath at that, "I had not thought that I would feel so eager for a Sunday."

• 2 weeks later...

"It is a difficult state of affairs, and unfortunately the more common folk are not educated enough to understand the importance of Toleration. Now such ideas become dangerous, even for His Majesty. For if you believe in Toleration, you must surely be a Catholic or a sympathizer to one by their minds; they cannot understand why someone would espouse an idea that does not directly benefit them. They persecute the Quakers and other such groups just as well and they are fellow Protestants. Yet that Protestant is not good enough in England. But it is good enough to support any sect of Protestant in war on foreign lands to the mob! It makes no sense," Sprat said.

It was something irrational and the irrational was always difficult to navigate and possible to manipulate; it was a dangerous combination of affairs.

"I am happy to hear of it. My anticipation is for a very fine sermon, Christmastide requires such," Sprat said. "And I shall look forward to seeing you there. If you wish to arrive early, I can introduce you to gentlemen who will be friendly to sit with."

"Does the Church have a strategy for the greater enlightenment?" George was prompted to ask, meanwhile he kept himself in reserve.

In the past he might have fastened onto such a thing as a cause, might have thrown his energies into it with a reckless lack of reserve. But he had learnt his lessons. Learnt that his place was not to rush in, rather he ought bear witness. Watch, and learn. He might still hope of course, that perhaps time itself, if not parliament and process, was what would mend.

Yet in conversation with a man like Sprat, he felt free to speculate. "I wonder what it would take to bring the more inclusive word 'Christian' to peoples lips first. Perhaps if we faced barbarian hoards, they might appreciate the unity of protestant and even catholic allies." he gave a wry smile. "Alas, there seems to be an innate yearning within mankind to rage against an enemy. I shall confess, that at times I had wondered if the talk fo warring with France might have been a stratagem to diffuse or shift the focus of the mobs, from Catholics onto the French." A quick smile given, almost apologetically done, a smile of admission that politics was by no means his arena of experience.

"Then I shall definitely be early." Spratts offer of introducing him to a welcoming parishioner was too good to pass up. "I'd appreciate that great deal."

"Ack, but am I diverting you from other duties? You would say if you need be elsewhere." he paused, and then spoke on, "Your comment earlier, of the difficulty with common folk lacking the education to understand any better, brings to mind the use of church windows. The bible stories and messages relayed there in - for many these are the equivalent of text books. Studied with loving eyes and open hearts. I wonder if further use of art within communities might help."

"Not all the church wishes such a strategy, my lord. Therein lies the rub."

The King's wishes were not paramount as they were in France. The King was limited and depended upon Parliament for money. Toleration was the King's agenda, not the church's by any means. What was preached at court was far different from the churches across the land.

"A grand comparison. If there were non-Christians to fight, we might find more kinship," Sprat chuckled.

"It is an inspired idea, but I doubt any of us shall see the day where the common man is as educated as the gentry and nobility. Perhaps if you had something particular in mind, we could try something. Teachings of faith with illustrations perhaps? Perhaps for the children who are yet to be contaminated by a lifetime." Sprat was a very well-known writer in all genres. He wrote comedy and drama with Buckingham and the ilk, historical pieces for the Royal Society, sermons, essays, but he had never delved into such a thing before. It intrigued him.

"I must away to another engagement, but might you plan to linger on Sunday after? I could have lunch arranged."

"Hmm, Enlightenment is a process." George gave a nod to Sprat, appreciating the largeness of the task, if those in the clergy were not all in agreement on that subject. Toleration. When arriving today the Earl had no idea that that word might mean so much to and for England.

Perhaps George was not quite as politically obtuse as he feared, for the Reverend chuckled agreement at his (impossible) remedy. The Earl felt privately pleased.

"I shall give it greater thought, there is a kernel in there that may be worked into something." Somehow it seemed to happen that he'd had an idea that appealed to the other, and George thought himself highly honoured to be extended an invite to lunch after. He grinned of it, "I might bring paper and pencil, and we might mock up a possibly or two to look at over lunch then. I look foward to it!"

George stood as Sprat needed to carry on. "It's been a pleasure, a real boon to meet you, and so much to think about. Thank you." He impressed with sincerity.

OOC: & Thank you Defiance for such a wonderful thread, love love loved it!

Archived