JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

A Death & A Mystery | Early AM Wed 29th- Xmas 1677

Francis Kirke

The King's Apartment or Kings Lodgings was an entire wing of rooms, kitchens and withdrawing rooms that suited many people, and to which all of nobility had access. It was also, ironically, the Kings most private place. To guard what little was left of that Charles Rex had ordered that none may enter past the Presence room without his personal permission, save for those he considered family. Even the Life Guard on duty is only allowed into the anteroom just inside from the Presence chamber, leaving the King some modicum of privacy and peace in most of his apartments. The more inner rooms are attended by ushers, grooms, and gentlemen of the household, equally for the King's security, company, and service.

Well appointed, the ceilings covered in symbolic paintings by various Baroque painters (though not so well endowed as Windsor Castle had been) signalled that Charles was lord and master of his realm, Justice incarnate, subjecting Rebellion. In fact, most of his rooms were still in the style of his father, featuring Charles I and James I.

As he had promised the duke, Francis made his way to the palace early that morning to speak to his royal master (hopefully) either whilst dressing or at his walk. It was quite windy for a walk with the cold of the air, but one never fully knew with the king; sometimes restlessness trumped the ache the cold weather brought from the shot in his leg the year before.

Being one of the King's Gentlemen, he could move within the King's apartments rather freely unless His Majesty was doing something where he had given orders not to be disturbed even by his own household. As such, once he was in the anteroom, Francis paused to talk to one of the gentlemen ushers to make sure that was not the case.

"Is His Majesty awake?"

(OOC - I know you're busy B, so this can wait a bit I'm just moving forward in time)

"Indeed he is m'lord," the usher replied. "He rose extra early this morning in the dark and went for a walk earlier. He has just returned moments ago and is in the company of Baptist May. They are in the Drawing Room just sitting down. It should be fine to enter, they seem to be bantering more than discussing anything more serious." He looked towards the doorway in question.

Francis nodded to the usher in thanks and proceeded toward the door.

Since servants were generally always in and out, knocking was not a 'thing' since it was more an interruption than quietly entering the room, so he went through the door slowly, giving plenty of time for a stop or change in subject if it was needed.

He waited to give his bow when his presence was acknowledged, his blue eyes casting around lightly to take in the scene.

The two men were sitting by the fire warming their cold hands. The King looked up and saw Francis enter. He had been hoping that it was the hot coffee he had ordered. "Ah Kingston. You missed a lively jaunt."

Baptist May turned to regard Francis and gave him a friendly nod and then turned back to the King. "Perhaps Kingston might wish to keep her Your Majesty."

Francis gave his bow before quipping as he walked closer. "Lively! I should think so, Your Majesty. Lively enough just for a smaller man to stay on the ground in this wind, let alone keep up. That must cut down on petitioners along with the darkness."

He added as he stood with one knee relaxed, "I am sorry to have missed it."

His blue eyes flickered down as he wondered at what sort of boots a King who so valued footwear might put on in this sort of weather. It made him smile as he thought of some of the boots one saw in the Colonies, these large, warm, fur-lined things. Perhaps he should have thought of that as some sort of present long before now.

"Keep who?" he asked, looking between the two. "I'll have you know, Master May, I am in no fit hurry for more lady-wards after the trials of the last." He chuckled some at that.

(OOC - Just in case the "her" is a doggie, I figured I should tell you the King is already giving Francis a puppy from their last thread together )

"Exactly," the King exclaimed with good cheer. "Not a single petitioner today and almost not a single Life Guard!" That would be an exaggeration given the passion of the Life Guard to follow the King any hour of the day or night.

The King was wearing no boots, content to have stocking feet dangerously close to the flames in the fireplace. He was in private so there was no need for formality.

"The who is the daughter of one Robert Needham," offered Baptist May, pausing to see if Francis recognized the name. "He came to me yesterday lamenting that his daughter had been falsely accused by His Majesty's son, and that scurrilous gossipmongers were attacking her character, resulting in a betrothal being called off by the Viscount Baintree." May wore a long face as if in empathy. "He was fishing for new and different royal interest. The man is a rank amateur when it comes to pimping for the King," the man tittered.

"As if I would want the leavings of my son," the King declared with disgust. "Best she return to the country if she cannot find a patron this season."

"And what of you Lord Kingston?" Bab humored. "She is very pretty to look at and would be most grateful. Are you the type to take in strays and waifs?"

Francis did not know the entire story, but Needham did ring a bell. He raised a blond brow, having half an idea what was about to come; however, he laughed out loud when May revealed that the man had come to pimp the girl to the King.

"Well, it is good to know that those of us with pimping skill shall not be so easily displaced!" He tittered again.

"Though I must say, with Your Majesty as gallant example, I am surprised the Duke would not take some care over a woman that he has ruined. Surely there is some country gentleman, esquire, or officer in his retinue he could pressure to marry the girl with the application of some coin for a dowry." The King was not one to just abandon a woman to rumours and ruin, so Francis was surprised the son would or that the King would allow his son to do so.

"Take in waifs with a pretty face," Francis repeated in amusement. "You mean have His Grace take in a waif for me?" He licked his lips trying not to chuckle more. The King knew his uncle had taken him on and everything that went with him, so it surely was not Francis who would be doing the charity. "But that, I think, would interfere with my duties, and while I am sure the Duke would be very pleased for me to put a mistress on my arm as a status symbol, it would hardly be a symbol of much if I took in a woman with such talk attached to her. There is a desperation in not being able to attract better, like a widow without encumberment, that would not be quite fashionable." Nor would his uncle, who was no great fan of Monmouth, with to take in any woman who had been attached to the other duke. Buckingham was far too vain for that.

"Indeed," May replied with a laugh. There had been so many royal pimps over time, including present company. Buckingham was notable as was Arlington, though the latter was rarely seen of late.

As for the criticism of Monmouth, Bab was wise not weigh in. It was always dangerous to be candid about such subjects in the King's presence.

"He claims that she betrayed him, rather than the other way," the King replied with no remorse. Though he was a cavalier at heart, he could understand that gratuity was best reserved for ladies that had been wronged, rather than had done wrong. "Bab did he say that she sneaked out for a rendezvous with Langdon?"

May shrugged as if he did not know. He did. "Langdon does seem attracted to other former royal mistresses." Realizing he was in dangerous waters, May laughed loudly in his disarming way and popped a cherry into his mouth as a sign that he intended to say no more. He could not help the humor.

"Yes," was all the King said on the subject. He preferred to say nothing, even in close company, about his brother's sexual adventures. The two brothers were unalike in that regard, with York preferring thin plain girl's with fine legs, while the older brother preferred the prettiest and wittiest stars in the night sky. Heather O'Roarke was an exception in that both brothers enjoyed her company.

"I was about to decree that Langdon should take in all the strays," the King declared in good humor, "but I should think he would like that too much." He chuckled at the thought of the young lord that was so earnest in his company and yet so merry outside of it. He was also about to suggest that Buckingham had plenty of room at his palace, but he knew that Jemmy and he did not get along. Nevertheless, he planned to nettle his old friend about it one night if they were deep in their cups.

"Jemmy has found a new love," the King lamented while trying to redirect the topic, referring to Baroness Wentworth. "I told him she is but the next in a progression but he claims this one is different." He did not add the part about how his son was openly embarrassing his wife, which was regrettable. Left unsaid was the fact that his son wanted a public divorce from Anne Scott, which was something the King had forbidden.

Francis walked into a trap of his own on the topic. "Yes, your patron would be right that a mistress on your arm would be a status symbol," the King encouraged. " All of the elite have them openly. Bab, if not the Needham girl, what mistress would be suitable for our young gentleman here? Have other pimps come forward with offerings?" It was all in good fun.

"Plenty have come forward," Bab played along. "I keep a file in my mind of nationality, hair color, breast size, and other notables. I should think that we should ask Lord Kingston first what he prefers first."

The King nodded. "Yes, my lord, do tell."

"I knew there must be more to it, so then it is not odd at all," Francis said. "No gentleman can be expected to care for a woman that betrays him. That her father would attempt such a pimping to Your Majesty is rather brazen." Francis shook his head as he let out a huff of amusement. "It would be 'off to the country' with her or some words with the gentleman she ran off with, losing her comfortable situation." If it was Lord Langdon, then perhaps the father should have had words with him instead of his king.

He might be of a kind heart to ladies, but he was still of quite the more traditional values. He had warned Sophia of such things. She had not listened and had gallivanted off but was thankfully interrupted by her lady companion. Thankfully she had married before her own past had come back to haunt her.

Francis chuckled at the thought of Lord Langdon taking in all the ladies. All might be too eager for that arrangement! Well, if not for the expense of it. Francis was much keener on giving women to the King rather than tempting any ladies away. Things were so much simpler when one didn't have to worry about angry gentlemen, especially angry royal gentlemen.

"I do not know whether it is fortunate or not fortunate to fall in and out of love," the young, freshly-made baron said. He had never been in love that he knew. Or that he would own. He was quite content in that state.

"Ah, but Your Majesty is overly gracious not to divide my attention whilst I am cultivating Mistress Envy, but I confess my sort is very easy to obtain," the young blond led in, lingering a few moments of pregnant silence before revealing in a loud whisper to the two as he stood there. "Mine is the sort that changes every few days." He smirked and winked roguishly.

"Quite right," the King agreed, not wanting his son to seem ungallant.

Francis' reply was hardly satisfying to the two men. The King made a face that all but acknowledged that he knew that Francis was avoiding the question. "Come come." Did the new baron really think he was going to get off this easily?

"Mistress Envy? Just who is this mystery?" Bab asked. If he knew the identity of Nicolette he did a good job in concealing it. "A secret correspondent," the King replied with a look that signaled that he was playing along but preferred a more cryptic response.

"I'll have you know I receive unsigned letters most everyday," the Privy Purse objected "though none are particularly flattering." He chuckled at the thought and the King joined him. "Perhaps young Kingston can be more forthcoming than His Majesty in telling me more?"

"If your goal is to find a woman that changes every day," the King commented, "then you are in luck. It is in the nature of women to change their mind daily." May laughed openly at that.

"That would ruin the mystique of it, man," Francis replied to May. He was not going to ruin the surprise. Francis was not naive enough to think that the King could not easily sniff out the answer if he wished to, but the fun of the game (or of the chase) was in what was feigned sometimes.

The King's quip about his choice in mistress was very apt, and he laughed at his own expense, curls bouncing. It was the sort of reply he would have made to his own statement.

"In truth, Your Majesty, I have only ever spent that much time in close quarters with my lady mother and grandmother, so I was hoping that fickle nature was some special condition of motherhood, or the mercurial Villiers blood, nod a defamation of the entire sex!" Francis laughed. It was true. He had never lived with a woman to any extent. He slept with many women, sometimes more than a few times each, but never one that he felt to share things on any deep level.

"But seriously, whyever should I break a system which works so very well thus far?" he asked, tittering. "There are enough responsibilities in life than to add more responsibilities merely for the stability of a fuck. I simply do not see the benefit. I am quite well-exercised as it is."

Francis had somewhat lost track of what he was there to speak about. Women were a far livelier subject than dead philosophers.

May expected no less, but he had asked at any rate. His mind was more centered on names of those that entered and exited the King's orbit.

"Villiers women are the worst," the King chortled as he played along with Kingston's professed innocence. "Sadly, the entire gender suffers from the same malady, some worse than others of course." Bab smiled and protested sarcastically "and we men never change our mind."

Back on the subject of a mistress, the young gentleman was making a valid pragmatic response, but the King was not about to let go so easily. "Well-exercised for sure," he smirked. "There is a difference between enjoying the company of dogs and owning one," he attempted, as if imparting some well understood wisdom. "Owning a dog and taking care of it and assuming responsibilities for it is quite a different thing. It has its tedious moments but the reward of that relationship is on a grander scale. You will know when you try it. The key is to continue to play with the pack but adopt one or two for your own." He gave the blond a lazy gaze to see if his advocacy was working.

"Are you comparing women to bitches?" May declared with further faux outrage. The King said nothing, waiting to see if his young gentleman was interested in being a dog owner.

Francis laughed as the King professed those ladies of his family were the worst. "Your Majesty is quite the glutton for punishment then," Kingston joked, "For having kept company with so many of them, or is such affinity solely to not turn their bad sides?" A woman scorned was only trumped by a Villiers woman scorned in Francis' experience. There had been no paucity of seeing the king with one of his female cousins at events or public spaces, between Pembroke's mother, Lady Susan, or Mall. It did not mean he had slept with them all, at least not publicly, aside from Cleveland, obviously, but the King clearly enjoyed their company and repartee, presumably.

Familiarity was a comfort.

"I, for one, would much prefer a saucy, witty, strong woman to a completely demure one, even for the fleeting passions." He winked as he clarified he was not succumbing to the idea of a mistress just yet.

"Perhaps when the proper one comes along, I will be so inspired to take one in. I think I would rather one that did not need taken in, though. A lady that chooses such rather than requires such would be preferable."

Chuckling, Kingston said, "I know nothing of bitches either way!"

The King nodded his understanding about Villier women. They were a unique lot. By Kingston's description, it seemed that he wished to have a Villiers lady for himself. Francis described well Barbara Villiers, at least as he remembered her now almost 20 years later.

"There are several such ladies at court,' the King encouraged. "I suppose that one will have to take you in." Bab laughed, thinking of the likes of Heather and others.

"As for bitches, you will know one better soon enough," the King continued, knowing that he planned to give Francis one female puppy from the latest litter of his spaniels.

With a sigh, Charles knew time was fleeting. His feet were now warm. "Any other backstairs business Bab before I get on with my tedious meetings this morning?"

"No, Your Majesty. I shall see the ladies' financial matters remedied as you wish." The King nodded, content to have a Privy Purse that understood him completely.

"Perhaps that is the way to go for me, eh? Allow a lady to take me in instead!" He laughed wholeheartedly at that thought. Not that he would ever be one to be a kept man, he had no need for the coin of one with Buckingham funding him, but he rather thought the idea of a woman pursuing him so ardently rather entertaining.

"Well if a little bitch it is to be, then I shall have to keep control of Scotty since Your Majesty told me your ladies are to have no Scots*! What torture for the man, and he is a favourite companion of mine, perhaps my longest friend here aside from Sir George," he added, with a laugh. "Seems a cruel punishment to dangle and deny."

It was almost thankful that the King seemed to mentally prepare for the tedium of the rest of the morning. It would make bring up Hobbes a bit easier as he recalled the greater point for the visit.

"If tedium looms, I may bear a bit of seriousness myself if a few private moments might be spared before the true tediousness of meetings begins?" One's gentlemen could not always come bearing diversion and love-letters after all, there was other important information fluttering about court constantly too.

(OOC - that's from the last thread His poodle is a boy and named Scotty)

"Ah but he is a Scot in name only," the King laughed in retort. He preferred the French pedigree but would say none of it. "I think it high time that you took in a proper English bitch and you shall see how hard it is to both love them and control them, and keep them from the embrace of rivals for their attention." He thought the analogy apt and May played along with a merry laugh.

It was then that Francis offered a serious topic. "Tedium from you my lord and so early in the morning?" he taunted lightly. "Very well, speak of it, but why do I sense the issue is not a welcome one?"

"Certainly not my wont, I agree," Francis replied to the taunt, with a small smile. "An unfortunate bit to my duties, perhaps the only unfortunate bit."

There was a certain honesty required and that sometimes included being the bearer of bad things. In such circumstances, he had learned that the king as not fond of long speeches, so he went right to it.

"His Grace has received word that Master Hobbes has passed and wished me to make certain you were aware."

The topic moved effortlessly from canines to darker topics. "Hobbes has passed?" The King seemed unaware of it and none too pleased that George would learn of it first. "I had thought the man would outlive us all." There was a silent moment as he seemed to acquaint himself with the news more fully. May was soberly silent.

"How did your patron come by this intelligence?" he asked with interest. "Did he, by chance, receive a letter from the old man himself?" Ordinarily that would be an odd request, but the King seemed serious.

Francis nodded somberly, allowing the king to absorb the news.

"Ironically enough, His Grace said the same thing," the blond said as the king confessed to having expected Hobbes to outlive them.

"No, the duke said from a friend," Francis replied. Francis had wondered if it was a mason friend, considering the other bent of their conversation. "Again, ironically enough, my cousin thought Your Majesty might have received a letter from Master Hobbes too." Very strange that the two men were saying very similar things. Either it was more of that similarity of brotherhood in thinking alike or perhaps Hobbes had said something similar to the king that he had to Buckingham.

"He was searching through his correspondence to hopefully learn more before coming himself. His secretary is away so things were in some...disarray." Not as if the king did not know Buckingham to be too mercurial and fickle to be organized anyway.

"He did?" The King seemed surprised at first but then let the surprise fade quickly. Just as Francis was putting pieces together, so too was the King.

Quickly enough, the King seemed to dismiss it. "Rather curious but of no matter." Charles was well skilled in appearing to be disinterested when he was otherwise. "Yet, if George should receive confirmation of it I would appreciate your notice of it to me. I would arrange something befitting for so great a learned man. Perhaps the Royal Society would be the appropriate venue?" He looked at May and then Kingston though he did not need their guidance. May shrugged as he often did in such matters.

"Now then, I suppose I need to see the new Ambassador from France. He has been most insistent and I have kept him waiting for several days to present his papers." The King stood and and straightened his coat as he did. He was ready to depart.

"Indeed, Sir," Francis replied. He noted the surprise by the fact that the king released the question, but it did not seem that it was all so surprising that the king would dwell upon it overly long.

The further response made it seem to Francis as if His Majesty had not received any letter from Hobbes which was what his uncle had wished to know. However, he wasn't sure if the King's question meant that he had expected one just as the duke had, for their reactions did have a certain similarity, or if the King had asked simply because Buckingham had been notified of the death; either seemed valid to Francis, who was no great student of his royal master's behaviour or mentality. He would leave that to Buckingham, who was a far better reader of his royal foster-sibling that Francis could ever hope to be.

"His Grace would think first of Your Majesty in such matters anyway, as he already did in this notification." The blond gave a stately nod. "And Your Majesty would know far better how to honour such a man, so I'll defer my piece to executing your wishes if the time comes." Francis was acutely aware that his place was not in the advising of things.

"Sounds dreary indeed, Sir. I would not wish to be the new French ambassador, for it would not seem a pleasant or friendly business with the current clime." He waited for either his dismissal or the King's departure by saying, "If you seek diversion from such things later, tonight there is a party of the merry variety at a lady's house."

The King seemed lost in thought. Whether it was on the subject of honoring Hobbes or something else, it was difficult to know. May was silent as well.

The subject of a French Ambassador was a better one, which caused an immediate reaction. "It is a tall order. Ruvigny did what he could. Now Louis sends me a Catholic. It would not have been my choice but I am not the King of France. I have slighted the man enough and it is time that I hear that of what his master bade him to say. Our Northern Secretary shall join us," he revealed.

His leave taking was paused by a reminder about Caroline's party. "It would be not right that I should attend," he declared formally. "Though that rascal Rowley is known to frequent such affairs." The meaning was clear as he smiled at both men.

"I'm off to find some coin," May quipped as he made ready to depart. "See to it," the King replied in a friendly fashion. He nodded to Kingston and then the doors opened. Two Life Guard stood ready to escort him.

"Vraiment une tragédie," Francis replied, placing a hand dramatically on his heart. If only his master were King of France as well, or if Ruvigny could remain. "Ruvigny is, at least, a man of honor." If not his offspring.

"I hope it is merely seasonal tidings then," Francis teased with a chuckle, of what the Frenchmen's master bade them say.

"Ah, well, we will make sure Rowley's servants make ready," the blond replied to the King's suggestion as the doors opened, offering a bow as the king made to leave.

Archived