JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Scruff and Tatters go for a dip | Nell & Nicci 29th [morning- Xmas 1677

Nicolette Vauquelin

Nicolette's physique was firm and lithe, yet it was the Frenchwoman’s daring confidence that was her greatest appeal. Nell's confidence would be a match for it, as she stole the tub before the approaching man could.

He swore at Nell. "He is embarrassed you took his tub." Nicolette judged with a whisper to Nell, (and also Nicolette thought he'd wanted to bathe next to her, so she could hardly fault him for that!)

To the man she called, "There is one on this side empty." Nicolette tried cheer him from his grump, "But you must promise not to listen to any of our whore stories!" turning back to Nell Nicolette laughed gaily of the fun.

“If I hadn't taken it, I would have had to bathe on the other side of the room.” The tub on Nicolette's other side was already taken, but as they spoke, the woman climbed out and headed to the women's corner. Nell hoped she didn't steal their clothes. It was too steamy in the room to see that far.

The man glared at both ladies and sank into a tub on the other side. “Apparently, he isn't interested in whore stories,” the King's mistress laughed. A maid paused by the empty tub and poured two buckets of fresh hot water into the recently vacated tub.

“I'm interested in your stories,” a pleasant voice intoned. A young man with bright blue eyes and vivid red hair stepped into the tub beside Nicolette. He looked to be in his early twenties. Nell couldn't help noticing how well-hung he was before he sat down. He wasn't modest at all. “I haven't seen the two of you here before. Are you new to London?”

"Or you could have shared a tub with me." Nicci laughed in carefree.

Meanwhile that man stalked his way to the tub on the opposite side of the room, he did not seem very happy, poor man. "I wonder if he's got a fish wife." Nicci whispered, quite prepared to speculate. "Or, perhaps no wife at all - cause she ran away with someone with better manners. Poor man, he'll never find love with such a grumpy face on him." with a sigh she sunk into the water.

It was glorious! She leaned back and savoured the warmth.

Distracted a little, the new arrival had not had her attention getting in. It was a peeping tom-opportunity missed. "Sacre bleu, you are a saucy one?!" Nicolette flashed a grin to the opportunist fellow, then looked to Nell to see if she was up for it. They had both discovered a mutual enjoyment in spinning a good yarn after all. So why not yarns about whoring?

“So you are a regular here are you?” Nicolette tipped her head, enjoying the youthful and confidant manner of him. “I’m Lavande, and this is my sister Ellie. What is your name, hmm?” it seemed more fun to ask someones name when going by a fake one. Sort of like a cheat. Thrilling.

“I suppose I could have.” Nell grinned. “I've never seen two people sharing a tub before. Maybe we would have started a trend.”

Her eyes followed the man she had thwarted until the steam obscured him from view. “He deserves a fish wife, but I doubt he is married at all. No woman in her right mind would wed such an obnoxious and disagreeable fellow. Commoners get to marry for love, you know. Unless they're wealthy, they usually get to choose their own partners.”

When the red-headed chap lowered himself into the tub, Nell finally averted her eyes, closing them and enjoying the lapping of the water around her shoulders.

“I've been called worse,” the man answered with a cocky lopsided smile. Nell's eyes opened and she glanced over at Nicolette, nodding subtly to let her know she was up for some storytelling. This was what they had come for … to give the Frenchwoman a new and adventurous experience. The man looked like a pleasant sort, without any marks of the pox upon him.

“I come here occasionally,” he replied. “My name is Nicholas. My friends call me Nick.”

“Pleased to meet you, Nick,” Nell said when Nicolette introduced her, remembering to speak with a French accent. “And yes, we are new to London."

“So what are two lovely Frenchwomen doing in England?” Nick asked, his blue eyes traveling from one lady to the other. They were both very pretty, although they didn't look much like sisters to him.

"Well had I known..." A pout briefly formed on Nicci's lips, and the urge to get out of her tub to hop into Nell’s was very real. But then the cheery red-head in the tub on her other side caught her interest, and (through no fault to Nell’s own appeal) she decided to remain where she was after all.

"Mmm... my parents married for love." she idly commented, being no so far from common roots herself. Her Father's family being mere merchants, though her Father had been made a Chevalier by the Sun King (and in the process catching her noble-blooded mothers eyed.

But that topic was left behind, in favour of their intended sport of their day; fraternising with the locals.

"Ooo, now I am curious." Nicci laughed, "I bet you've been called a sweetheart and a gentle giant, hmm?" she goaded him of course, for he seemed to imply he'd been called things far more dangerous/titivating/arousing.

"Well it's a a delight to meet you Nicholas." she replied as they got the introductions over and done with. "As for why we are in London, you shall never guess that we are hot on the trail of a mystery." Nell had given the nod, and of course they were both keen to try out their newly formed back story. How did the backstory go again? There had been several versions.

"Well, not such a hot trail really, a trail of passion forbiden love and betrayal, a trail some few decades old with scant a clue but for a ship that sailed back to England." Nicci wrapped up a melodrama about the tale, completing upon: "What do you know of the Theatre Nicholas...?"

“They were lucky then,” Nell commented. Her own parents were from a long line of poor commoners and she didn't know whether they had ever been in love or not. Her father had disappeared from her life when she was a child, and her mother was a drunk. It had been a mixture of ingenuity and serendipity that had allowed her to rise from her humble beginnings.

“Perhaps.” Nicholas didn't seem willing to reveal too much about himself, Nell noticed. Nicolette was doing an excellent job of blending in with the locals. The former actress had expected to do most of the talking, but she was holding her own quite well.

One flaming eyebrow arched as the more talkative of the two Frenchwomen spoke of mysteries, forbidden passion, and betrayal. “I'm quite fond of the theatre, Mademoiselle Lavende,” Nicholas admitted. “But I'm more intrigued by the mystery you speak of. Tell me more.”

Nell grinned at Nicci, wondering if she would continue with the story they had concocted in the carriage, ask her to tell the next part, or change the subject entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt that a place like this, where people commonly came to take the cure, was not the place that people usually disclosed a whole lot about themselves -- or so Nicci supposed at Nick said little of himself.

But he spoke reasonable English, and did not have a horrid Yorkshire accent, so that counted as points in his favour - besides the fact that Nicci would talked the ear of swine if she'd found one in the tub next to her. The girls had prepared a marvellous back story, why it would be criminal to let it go to waste!

"Well..." Nicolette's eyes flared, pleased that the man coaxed with questions. With a pleased look to Nell she drew a breath, "my sister and I worked at a theatre in Paris you see, but then the Theatre closed down, and we were turned out on our pretty derrieres. It was then that we decided to try our plan B. Have you got a plan B Nick, or is your plan A working well for you? And... why do you know theatres rather well. Don’t tell us that you have worked in one? Have you?"

Nicci looked back to Nell. It was not so good for their story if Nick knew something about the topic, educated questions could be their undoing.

Nell noted that Nicolette had not yet mentioned that they were actresses, just that they had worked in a theatre. For all their companion knew, they could be seamstresses or orange girls. Did they have orange girls in French theatres? Nodding as Nicolette spoke, she sized Nick up. She was good at reading people and the well-hung redhead seemed to be genuinely curious about them. Maybe he just enjoyed a good story while he bathed.

“No, I've never worked in a theatre,” Nick admitted. “But I do like watching plays. In fact, I was there last spring when the Theatre Royal burned down. Luckily I was still outside and I joined the bucket line that was trying to put out the flames. But I broke out of it when I saw a girl stumble out of the door and I caught her just as she fainted.” Was that a blush or just the flush of the water's heat on his cheeks? “We've been seeing each other ever since.”

Nell thought he looked a bit sheepish as if he hadn't really meant to say that much. It seemed that he had some stories of his own.

“The two of you are actresses and you have come to London to find fame on the English stage. Is that your Plan B?”

• 2 weeks later...

"La! What is it with theatres and fires." Nicolette made cheerful lament, "Did you hear that Ellie, the English Theatre it burnt down too. Just like ours had."

The heat was wonderful soaking into her body, and now as Nick started to tell his story, Nicci found herself easing back into the tub more comfortably. A mood less excitable began working upon her. It was perhaps the same relaxed mood that had Nell say little too.

Nicolette realised she'd been talking far too much, what with the excitement of the new experience and all.

She bit her tongue from an impulsive comment on Nick's love affair - which she privately thought it sounded rather too romantic for her own taste. It seemed so naive of Nick to have fallen for the stricken actress. She could guess that that fainting girl was playing him. Though really it was probably just that Nicolette was a bit jealous -- the way his cheeks pinked, seemed like he was truly smitten. It would be nice to make a man look that way. Had she ever made a man bashful of his affection for her? She did not think so.

Quietly she commented, “She was very lucky.”

"Yes that is our plan B." Nicolette dipped her washcloth in the hot water, wringing it out a little laid it across her forehead, and sunk down into the water till it softly lapped at her neck.

“Really?” Nell asked. She knew all about the fire at the Theatre Royal, but one would think by the surprise in her face and voice that she was hearing the news for the first time. “How odd! I wonder if someone is traveling from country to country burning down theatres.”

Nick chuckled. “It does seem like a strange coincidence, but I believe the fire here was just an unfortunate accident. Was the one in Paris set deliberately?”

Nell looked to Nicolette, as she had never heard about the French theatre before she had suggested it as part of their backstory.

Again, Nick blushed when the pretty French actress said he was lucky. When Nicolette confirmed that he had guessed correctly, he grinned. “Maybe I can help you. My sweetheart Grace is an actress. She probably knows when auditions for various venues are being held. In return, maybe the two of you could assist me.” Another blush. “I want to ask Grace to marry me, but I'm afraid I'll botch it all up. Maybe I can practice with you?”

Warning bells went off in Nell's head. She knew the games that actresses played. It was possible that Grace was just using him and would leave him as soon as his money was gone. Before she could voice her thoughts, she was distracted by the man who had just slid into the tub on her other side. He was leering at her breasts as they bobbed beneath the water. “Draw a picture. It'll last longer,” she hissed, momentarily forgetting her French accent.

It would fall to Nicolette again to answer Nick.

Nicci had told Nell earlier during their journey to the Baths how the French theatre had been burnt down.

"It is probably all the lanterns." Nicolette covered Nell’s surprise, she'd not expected Nell to break character, but then the whole tale telling this was slipping away from them as the relaxing waters eased tensions and cares.

Nicolette shared a amused look with Nell as Nick offered assistance with auditions, via his sweetheart. "La! That is kind of you. Yes you can practise upon us certainly." Nicolette meanwhile already believed that he was being conned. He was so naive. Life had lessons for him yet to learn.

"Of course first you must take her upon a wonderful outing, to set the stage, so to speak." she gave a laugh at the aptness of the metaphor, sounds were all about, including Nells short shifting of a gawper.

Nell had been reacting to the burning of the London theatre when she had expressed surprise. She did not know if the origin of either fire had been determined, which was why she looked to Nicolette. Maybe she knew what had caused the one in the Theatre du Mais.

But apparently, that one was unsolved as well. Perhaps both of them had burned because of faulty lanterns. One spark on a bit of dry wood and an entire building could go up in smoke. “It is a mystery,” she added, “and it ruined our plans for fame and fortune.”

Nick grinned when Lavende agreed to let him practice proposing on the two actresses. “I was going to take her out for dinner at an inn on New Years Day and ask her then. A new beginning for a new year. Is that romantic enough or do you think I should do something else instead?”

Nell was still occupied with the lech in the tub beside her. “Maybe somebody here knows how to draw,” he said. “I would love to have a sketch of you to keep me warm on cold winter nights.”

“Shove off!” the King's mistress snarled, cupping water in her hands and splashing him in the face.

"They should build a theatre out of stone." Nicolette suggested, though neither Nell nor Nick would be building theatres. Her suggestion was not terribly useful then.

"La! We would have been famous by now if it had not burnt down!" Nicolette joined in with Nell's lament with a covert wink.

Then Nick got to his proposal planning (a proposel proposel?) while Nell handled the chatty guy on the other side.

"Magnifique! It sounds very romantic Nicolas. And with red candles, red candles are for romance..." he was probably spending all his money on the actress. Perhaps his popping the question would make her realise she should back off, or would she use it as a way to open his wallet even more?

"You must tell me more of the lady, so I can act out her character correctly. Where does she come from, where does she live, where are her family, has she interests, hobbies, many friends?" Nicolette could not help herself but enquire to the actresses personality. Nick lacked a cynical eye upon his lady love, but Nicci might see though.

Why weren't theatres made of stone? At least they wouldn't burn down, although the props and sets could still be set aflame. “Maybe the acoustics would not be as good,” Nell offered with a shrug. She smiled when Nicolette winked at her. The Frenchwoman was doing very well pretending to be a commoner. “Oui,” she agreed. The former actress knew at least one French word. “We were so close to becoming renowned all over France and now we must start anew.”

“I'm sure the two of you will take England by storm,” Nick reassured them. They were certainly beautiful. If they had talent, they would go far indeed.

Lavende approved of his plans, which must mean that Grace would be charmed as well. He frowned when the actress asked him more about his beloved. “Let's see … she's gorgeous and sweet and kind and three years older than I am. Her father died several years ago. Her mother remarried and she didn't like her stepfather so she moved to London to try her luck on the stage.

“She and two friends are renting a flat together and she knows a lot of people. I don't think she has enough free time for hobbies, but she does like to dress in the latest fashion. I've had several gowns made for her and she is always delighted when I buy her jewelry. She doesn't have much money of her own. I'm not wealthy, but I think I can provide well for her and I know she loves me because she tells me all the time.”

Meanwhile, the pervert next to Nell wiped the water out of his eyes while cursing like a sailor. Maybe he was a sailor. Leaving the tub, he moved to the other side of the room beside another young woman. A plump girl stepped into the tub he had vacated and the former actress smiled at her before turning her attention back to Nicolette and Nick. At least she won't make a pass at me.

• 2 weeks later...

At that moment it seemed entirely plausible that, if they had been French actresses, they would be the hit of all Europe - and Nicolette gave a cheerful laugh of it. "But luckily for England, we are now here!" Nicci was almost tempted to consider the stage in all truth - but, she had many pots on the boil already.

And now Nick told the story of his sweetheart, it was not as piteous as it might have been if all lies, and Nicolette came to think that it was the truth. Perhaps she even hoped it was truth. Nick seemed such a sweet fellow, surely some peoples lives worked out simply and for the best?

"Oh we ladies all love being given jewellery." Nicolette nodded of that. The steam was lovely, she wondered if it was good for the complexion, and wished she'd thought to bring some fragrant herbs to add to her water.

"It must be hard being a man, and having to save up enough money to support a wife on. What do you do Nick?" Nicolette looked over towards Nell as the man left and a lady arrived, and flashed a smile. Popular place, these baths!

“My father owns a bakery,” Nick revealed. “I'm learning how to run it so that I can take over when he decides to retire. When we're married, Grace will work there as well. I think that she'll be happy to give up the stage for a respectable job as a baker.” He leaned toward Lavende. “In truth, she's not a very good actress.”

Nell looked at Nick, her gaze steady. “Don't be disappointed if she turns you down. Most actresses dream of marrying wealthy men and living in luxury, not sweating all day in a bakery. She's probably just using you until some rich merchant comes along.”

Nick remained undaunted. “Grace isn't like that. I think she acts because she can't make as much money doing anything else. No one cares that she's not good because she's so pretty. But one day her looks will fade. Why would she turn down an opportunity to better her life with the man she loves?”

He glanced over at Lavende. She was much nicer than Ellie, who seemed to see the bad in everything. “You would be happy being a baker's wife, wouldn't you, Mademoiselle Lavende?”

"Hmm... yes check with her on that first."

"...you know what actresses dream of -" Nicolette glanced towards Nell then and grinned, "that they will be like the famous Nell Gwyn, not only shockingly beautiful and talented, but seducing a king and never having to work another day in her life!"

Nicolette laughed of it, talking about her newest friend just like that, and Nick oblivious, none the wiser!

"I'm sorry Nick, but I'd not want to l have to bake bread every day either. We actresses, we are all peas from the same pod."

"I tell you what, why dont you test her. Tell her you've got a fancy friend who is an earl coming to dinner, and see how she acts. Get a friend to act the part for you. If she ignores him doting on you, then we shall count ourselves corected. But if she tries to strike up with your fake Earl, then you will know."

Nell nearly snorted when Nicolette told the poor besotted baker that all actresses wanted to be like her. She knew it was true. Her rags-to-riches story was inspiring and many young girls wished to follow in her footsteps. She was confident enough of the King's affection for her that she didn't fear competition and didn't see the other ladies, noble or common, who flocked around her lover as threats. He would always have his dalliances but she knew she held a special place in his heart.

“You have heard about Mrs. Gwynn in France?” Nick asked. “She's well-known here in London, but I didn't know her fame had spread to other countries.”

Nell wondered how much truth there was in Nicolette's words. Was her name known on the Continent as well? It would serve that stupid Weeping Willow right if Nell was talked about in France more than she was. She would have to ask the Frenchwoman about that after they were done bathing.

“Grace has never even mentioned the King,” Nick said. Only a moment later, his face fell. Lavende wouldn't give up acting to be the wife of a baker and didn't think other actresses would either. Had his sweetheart been misleading him all along?

“Testing her is a good idea. She doesn't know many of my friends. I could have one of them pretend to be an Earl, but instead of inviting them both to dinner, he can approach her at the theatre when I'm not there. If she turns down his advances, then I will know that she really loves me. If she doesn't ...” His voice trailed off. “I guess there's no sense practicing my proposal until I know for sure.”

The water in Nell's tub was cooling down. “Are you ready to go, Lavende? If we stay in the water too much longer, we'll shrivel up like prunes and have to kiss our acting careers good-bye.”

"Her story is known everywhere." Nicolette answer Nick with the simple truth! An orange seller that held the Kings sustained devotion, and bearing not one but two acknowledged royal sons -- it was one of those remarkable things of the age.

“Ifit is true love, then she will stand your test, and be content to be a baker or anything else just as long as she is with you." The saccharine cliché tasted unpleasant to Frenchwoman’s mouth, the words straight out of a romance novel!

"Though really, even if she is as besotted as you hope, it's not very likely she will give up her dream for love. And if she does, whenever you argue she will tell you what she gave up for you, and you shall feel bad." Nicolette gave a nod to Nell, and begun to raise from the tub. "I don’t think you should ask her to give up the theatre Nick. Let that be her choice." Nicolette stood there dripping, looking about for her towel, and then smiling as she discovered it within reach.

The young redheaded man didn't look nearly as jovial now as he had when he had entered the tub. The two French actresses had given him a lot to think about. He had been planning to ask her to give up the theatre if he married her, but if acting was her dream, then that wouldn't be fair. An actress' career was fairly short and Grace was already twenty-five. Maybe in a few more years, she would be willing to give it up.

When Nicolette stood up, Nick appraised her body before blushing and lowering his eyes. “Thank you for your advice, Mademoiselle,” he said, although he was looking down at the water. “I will take everything you have said into consideration.”

Nell stood up as well and wrapped her towel around her. “We wish you good luck, Nick,” she said. “Maybe we'll see you around the theatre soon.”

Finally, Nick looked up again. “I hope so. If Grace and I get married, the two of you will be invited to the wedding.”

Nicolette meanwhile pretended not to notice his gaze, though his admiring look thrilled her inner desire to be admired by all.

But it was cold out of the water, and so wrapping herself in a towel she stepped from the tub. "Do cheer up Nick." Nicci appended to the girls well-wish, "everything is more possible when you have optimism."

He seemed to get some of his spirits back any case, and vowed they would be guests to the wedding if it took place. "La, invite us to the stag night instead!" Nicci laughed, stepping across to their clothes. “Ellie, tell him our address.” Perhaps Nell would know some way he might relay a message to their fake identities?

The two French actresses had crushed Nick's optimism, but maybe he had needed a strong dose of reality. He knew now that he had been walking around so blinded by love that he had been certain that Grace would jump at the chance to marry him. Now he would test her affection first to make certain that she truly cared for him. If she didn't, he would have to move on.

“I'll try,” he told Lavende with a smile that seemed a bit forced. “Thank you both for your advice.”

Nell gave him the address of a friend she still kept in touch with, one she believed would jump at the chance to be a baker's wife. So if things fell though with the actress, which she believed they would, maybe he would hit it off with her friend. She would have to write her and tell her what was going on. “You can find us here. The woman we're staying with is very nice. I think you would like her.”

She followed Nicolette over to the side of the room. Their clothes were still on the bench. No one had stolen them. Discarding the towel, she picked up her chemise and slipped it on. “Do they really talk about me in France?” she asked.

Nells comment over the address she gave tugged at Nicci's intuition, and she smiled in thinking that the oft outlandishly loud spoken actress hid a heart of gold. But she said nothing of it. People like that did not want their loveliness to be blatantly acknowledged.

For her own part, once Nick was behind them. Her interest in him dwindled swiftly - and by the time Nell was quizzing on her international fame he was practically forgotten. "Oh yes, and beyond France I am sure. You are spoke of the beautiful songstress who stole the English Kings heart. Common folk tell their children stories of you as they put them to bed at night. You inspire and instill belief in a chance for love and success. You are a symbol of hope Nell... ah Ellie, to the entire of this generation and the next, why possibly for the generations beyond those even."

“Why some tales I have heard are.. that you have been offered titles, but you refuse them, because that would put a price tag upon your love. That you don’t live in the Kings house, like a kept woman, but you life in your own house. That since you met the king, you have been faithful in body and spirit. Why, you are the epitome of romance really, young ladies everywhere talk of you and sigh.”

Nell was far from vain. Even after all her successes, she was as down-to-earth as she had been as a child in the gutters of London. Still, it pleased her that she was known all over the world and that her story inspired other young girls and gave them hope that they could rise above their lowly circumstances and make something of themselves. She wondered how many French actresses tried to seduce King Louis, aspiring to become like her.

She doubted that the French said so many good things about Louise de Kérouaille. That simpering fool was snobby, greedy, became upset too easily, and was just generally disagreeable. Not to mention she had left her homeland to become the mistress of a foreign King.

Nell didn't confirm or deny what Nicolette had heard about her, but her auburn eyebrows did quirk upwards. “I never knew that anyone outside of England knew about me,” she declared with a satisfied smile. “As long as everything said about me is good, I won't complain.”

After they had finished dressing and left the bathhouse, Nell smiled over at Nicolette as they strolled down the street to where her carriage waited. “So how did you like pretending to be a commoner? I think you did quite well.”

(OOC: Ready to start wrapping this one up?)

"La! You know that is not peoples way!" Nicolette laughed at Nell’s comment, for undoubtedly people said nasty things too, and Nell as an actress could not be so naive. It was a joke she was making, and Nicci laughed of it brightly.

The pair made their repairs (though it was definitely harder to get dressed in this setting than at home) and finally set on off out the door. "Merci merci!" the French lady crooned towards the door-keeper, a lovely pink glow on her cheeks.

She felt so very warm that the crispness of the air outdoors was even welcome, or at least it was for the first few minutes.

Strolling along Nicci linked her arm through Nells again. "Yes I did enjoy it, truly, I think it's a rather smaller step to make than anyone might think. And quite comfortable too. Really, I don’t think I'd mind being a commoner, apart from the whole having to find a job and work thing. But really, we do still work don’t we. Just in a different sort of way." She idly speculated not so seriously as they returned to the carriage a block or so away. Nicci's view of commoners was a little romantisised, for even though their family had struggled, there had alwasy been options they could take.

"Do you miss it Nell. You know what I mean - being carefree of the fussiness of high society?"

OOC: yes, and thank you for a lovely thread getting to know Nell

Nell winked. She knew how insulting nobles could be, but she tended to ignore the snide remarks that were sent her way, confident as she was with her position in life. “In that case, perhaps I will complain if I ever find myself in France.” She suspected that day would never come, nor did she have any desire to leave England. London was her home and her place was with her beloved Charles.

The cold air was refreshing after the heat of the baths, as was the clear air. Unobstructed by steam, she could now see more than a few feet in front of her. Nell didn't protest when Nicolette looped her arm through hers, grinning as the Frenchwoman shared her thoughts on being a commoner. In truth, she didn't believe that Nicolette would last ten minutes if she had to live as Nell once did.

“You'd be surprised how many nobles disguise themselves as commoners,” she revealed. “It is a much simpler life, but instead of worrying about being more fashionable and witty than other ladies, you're concerned about having a place to stay and enough food in your belly.” Her auburn curls bounced about her shoulders as she shook her head. “Nah, love, I don't miss it at all. There was nothing carefree about it and especially in the theatre, commoners are just as willing to stab you in the back hoping to take your place after they ruin you. No matter what their station in life, people are basically the same, as you have seen today.”

When they reached the carriage, the coachman opened the door for them, ready to take them back to the posh side of town where both of them belonged.

(OOC: Finis? And thank you too. I've really enjoyed this thread.)

"It is much like taking a holiday from one's usual cares." Nicolette nodded, thinking she understood entirely. In but a few hours time she'd come across the King in one such disguise, his masquerade as Old Rowley was cheerfully done.

But as for Nell, she did not miss it at all. "La, people are the same everywhere, whether it is fight for a slice or bread or to catch a nobles eye, ambition rages within us all." Nicolette grinned of it, for truth be told she enjoyed the challenges. It was a fine think to put all your money on a gamble upon yourself, roll the die and trust in your wits to get through. Life was an exhilarating game.

"Ah... just in time." Yet for all of her enjoying 'roughing it', it was a pleasure to enter Nell’s cosy and beautifully appointed carriage once more. Nicolette sighted contentedly and leaned back in the seat. "This has been such fun, thank you."

OOC: me too!

Archived