JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Scruff and Tatters go for a dip | Nell & Nicci 29th [morning- Xmas 1677

Nicolette Vauquelin

Just as prescribed Nicolette wore a tatter-y dress blue and white stripes. It amused her no end to need to dress-down for an outing, why she'd even ripped off the pink rosettes and any trace of pink ribbon anywhere on the dress.

Years ago, this dress had been her pride and joy. She's sat in French salons with fingers idly stroking it's trim, she'd danced the gavotte, attended a banquet and played cards in this dress until dawn. But today she was going to go to a common bath house with Nell Gwyn - intent to befriend the woman going to lengths that no highborn English Lady would dare.

Nell had said they would talk more of the plans in the carriage, and so for now Nicci sat gazing out the window, watching to the street as she patiently waited for the days adventure to begin.

Puffing breath on the windows, and writing Ranelagh's name in the mist, with love hearts and pound signs peppered about. He was such a pleasing distraction. Imagine if he was at the baths too? The girl gave a dreamy sigh - smudged it all out, and begun again.

Place holder for when Aria is ready

A hired coach pulled up in the driveway. Without waiting for assistance, Nell opened the door and stepped out. She was looking forward to this adventure too, and curious as to how well her French partner in crime would do in her role as a commoner. In her experience, the baths weren't as crowded in the mornings, and was a good time for a first visit. They could be overwhelming for someone accustomed to more genteel ways.

Walking in her usual no-nonsense fashion, the former actress approached the door and knocked sharply.

Seeing Nell arrive, Nicolette was already to the door and fetching her cloak from hook as the sharp rap resounded on the door.

It was a grinning face that peered out around the door as it opened, eyes taking in Nells costume for the outing. "Good morning Nell." Nicolette would never pass for a native with her accent so distinctive, nor did she really attempt it. But common -- she thought herself just the part of that, dressed like a ladies maid who'd been gifted her mistresses well worn hand me downs. She was not even wearing any gloves at all, though she did wear a band of ribbon around her neck in the fashion she'd oft done in place of a necklace.

"So you are using a city carriage, to complete our disguise." she approved, fairly bubbling of the fun.

Nell was wearing an old dress that had been one of her best before she became the King's mistress. She had kept a few of the gowns from those years, including the one she had worn when she had first met His Majesty. mainly for nostalgia. They reminded her of where she had started and how far she had come.

This particular gown had been let out at the sides. Her waist had been a bit smaller before she'd had children. The faded red was a bit brighter at those seams, making it look as if she couldn't afford a newer gown and had to alter those she had. Cheap lace, tattered around the edges, framed the low-cut neckline. Her auburn hair had been arranged in a loose bun with curls framing her face. Over the gown, she wore a simple gray wool cloak.

She smiled when Nicolette opened the door. Nell didn't mind that she called her by her given name and she looked over the Frenchwoman's outfit with approval. “Morning,” she replied, glancing at her cloak. If it was too fancy, she had a spare in her carriage that Nicolette could borrow. “I thought my coach might be recognized. We're still going to leave this one behind a few blocks away from the baths.”

Nicolette paid no heed to the actress's thickening waist, or the age lines upon her face, for she had personality enough that paled those things -- even her commonness was easily forgotten when she became animated of a topic.

"The royal arms have a way of doing that!" Nicolette laughed cheerfully.

When they had first met Nicolette had tried to learn how Nell wanted to be addressed (had asked her that question*) but Nell had not expressed her preference. She was wary of the question even, and so Nicci abandoned the topic and settled upon calling her Nell. Most seemed to call her simply that.

"I am wearing my walking boots." she showed, with a small hitch of shirts and foot pushed out. These were a pair of black ankle boots with a low heel, well worn in, many walks in the Basildon countryside. "Do we need to take anything else with us? I hardly know what to expect. Oh. Would you like a drink first..." remembering her good manners, she stepped back as she invited Nell on in.

* ref

Nell was only twenty-seven and her complexion was as youthful as it had been a decade ago. Rather than looking older than her years, she looked quite a bit younger. Perhaps she would have aged more quickly if His Majesty had not whisked her away from her impoverished beginnings when she was still in her teens.

“Yours look better than mine.” Nell lifted the hem of her own skirt, showing a scuffed pair of brown boots that had obviously seen better days. They were more comfortable than her court shoes, though. She had other sensible shoes to wear whenever she wasn't at the palace. The former actress would never understand why toffs tortured themselves for the sake of fashion. Even her corset was looser than the ones most highborn ladies wore. She was lucky that she had a naturally small waist, even after the birth of two children. Today she wasn't wearing a corset at all.

Nell considered Nicolette's offer of a drink. She could use a bit of warming up after the long ride from Chelsea. “Thanks, love, but we should probably be going before the baths become too crowded and we have to wait. There's no need to bring anything but your sense of adventure.”

She led the way toward the hired coach. “So what do you want me to call you today? Do you want to use your own name or would you rather make one up?”

OOC: Sorry, I thought she was as old as Castlemaine!

IC:

“La, it is the first time I have had this sort of competition!" Nicolette laughed, highly amused that she was outdone in wear and tear. For years she'd felt so conspicuous at court because he's were not the newest - oh the pains she'd gone to trying hide frays and scuffs.

And so Nell did indeed win. "I could stand in mud, if that would help?" She was laughing, plainly not serious about that additional length she might take.

"I was hoping you would say that, I am rather excited for our adventure to begin." she confessed as Nell declined a hot drink. And off out the door they went!

"I'd not thought of a secret name, shall you be using your own name? If you are daring that far, then I shall too. If not, then I shall be ... En?" Her initial, though that meant that Nell could not use her first initial too, because then they would be Enanen, and that would be just confusing.

"Or, I could be... oh I don’t know. How do you choose a new name?! Shall we need to keep it forever, for the next time we go out, or shall it be just for today?" Nicolette fussed about thinking of it. Probably over thinking it. It seemed like a suddenly big decision.

She could not decide.

“Perhaps we should name each other, that might be easier?” she smiled, relieved already that it wouldt be her choice.

Nell didn't consider the comparison of their boots a competition, but she was more experienced in dressing down than the Frenchwoman, and probably more comfortable in tattered and worn clothing. It was a bit strange to her that toffs enjoyed slumming. Nicolette was not the first noble of her acquaintance to masquerade as a commoner.

“Then I'd have to roll in it and then I'd never be allowed in the baths or in the coach.” She was jesting too. “No sense going overboard. We're both fine … or rather drab … the way we are.”

The driver was standing by the coach and he would assist Nicolette inside if she wished. Nell climbed in by herself and settled against the cushions. “I think I'll change my name too. I might be recognized, but no one I know will give me away.”

Nell shrugged. “You might want to keep the same name if you return to the baths, but you can pick a new one every time you disguise yourself if you'd like. It's your choice.

“I think I'll call myself Ellie.” It was another form of her given name. “I'd name you myself, but I don't know many French names. You'll never pass as an Englishwoman with that accent. Just pick something you like. Or give me a few to choose from and I'll tell you which one suits you best."

Perhaps it came so naturally to her, that Nell did not realise her competitiveness. For instance when Nicci suggested she stamp in mud, Nell claimed she'd roll in it! Outdoing did seem an innate part of her nature, in serious or in jest. Likely it was what had her raise to the top of her game in the Theatre, and then of lovers.

Nicolette laughed of it, "They would need throw away the bath water, and charge you double or even more!" Nicolette fully expected recycling of hot water to go on. Scum was skimmed, more hot water added, and the next one hopped in.

Settling into the carriage, Nicolette fussed with a neat arrangements of her worn out dress (force of habit). "Ellie, that shall be easy to remember!” she approved.

“La, but it would get confusing quickly to have too many other names, one for this shop one for that. And Nicci is already a nickname, so perhaps I shall just use that." In France her peers had called her Nicolette, but the English had wanted a short version. Well Louis. And then everyone else had followed suit. "Perhaps Lotte then?" the idea grown from Nell's. "or... “

“la! My mind is blanking upon this!" which was not usual for Nicolette. She was usually quite imaginative. It was just this inventing of a new name that sat strangely. But then she was not famous like Nell, she did not know what it was like to be mobbed. She might have even thought that being recognised would be flattering, might mean she was not so much a nobody.

"I do like Lavender." she finally said. Though she was pretty sure that Nell would say that ludicrously long, and never used as a name by anyone on either side of the channel. "In France we say it Lavande." She gave a cautious smile to Nell revealing her preferance for this last.

Nell was quite competitive. Actresses didn't get far if they weren't. She had not intentionally been competing with Nicolette when she had shown off her worn boots, but since the Frenchwoman had seen it that way, she couldn't resist trying to outdo her. She had been a bit apprehensive about this excursion because she didn't know Nicolette well, but so far, they were getting along just fine. She was nothing at all like that idiot Portsmouth, who, in Nell's not so humble opinion, was solely responsible for most people's poor view of the French.

She noticed the delicate way that Nicolette arranged her gown. Nell had just plopped down on the seat without caring how her skirt fell. It was bunched up beneath her a bit, but she wasn't bothered by it. There was no need today to be extra careful about everything she did.

Perhaps going by many different names was not confusing to Nell because of all the characters she had played on the stage. Nicolette seemed unable to decide on one for the baths, which meant that this was probably the first time she had masqueraded as a commoner. She wondered if her companion would be a natural at acting like a peasant or if she would have to be guided in what to say and do.

She also didn't think 'Lavender' was a ridiculous name, probably for the same reason. Names of characters in plays were often either descriptive or satires in themselves. “Then Lavande you shall be.” Nell studied Nicolette thoughtfully. “You look more like a Lavande than a Lotte.”

Might Nicolette be a little competitive also?

She was definitely concerned with others opinions of her, expression blooming as Nell approved of Lavande. "Thank you!" she laughed of it all then! The relief that the tricky part was over was a weight off her shoulders -- and Lavande, oh what a pretty name! She did love the fragrance, the colour too, what was not to love about Lavender.

"Shall we make histories for our characters too? Like, how do Nellie and Lavande know each other? Shall we be room mates perhaps, at a boarding house. Or shall be waitresses that work together? Or..." her eyes flared, "half sisters, the bastard daughters of a scoundrel!" now that was a colourful idea. Exciting, she thought.

With a signal from Nell, the carriage lurched into motion. She glanced out the window as Nicolette suggested they make up a histories for themselves. One of the reasons she believed she had become so famous as an actress was because she had made up back-stories for the characters she played so that she knew them inside and out.

She turned back to Nicolette and grinned. “I like being half-sisters of a scoundrel. Maybe our father used to be rich but he gambled all his money away. Or he was a drunkard. We're doing odd jobs just to help make ends meet.” As a thought occurred to her, she burst into laughter. “Maybe we've been working as orange girls.” It amused Nell to pretend to work at the very job that had launched her theatrical career and her eventual rise at court.

“To explain your accent, maybe you had a French mother who raised you in France. Then she came to England and dropped you off with your father. Or you came over by yourself to search for him. Or ...”

Her voice slipped into a very convincing French accent. “I could be French too.”

As Nell, or was the Ellie, took to the idea of backstories with relish, Lavande grinned.

"I've been skinning cats to pay the rent." the Frenchwoman claimed cheerfully, and upon an impulse switched seats to sit next to Nell. "I cant see either of us as washer women can you? Or perhaps we are high class whores?" why not be ambitious after all.

"Or perhaps our no-good father owns a out of luck racehorse, and we work in the stables. I dont like that idea, we are too adorable to be hidden away like that - I was just trying to think of something else." she grinned, "If you are an orange girl, then I could be a stage hand."

Putting on a 'work voice' Nicolette tried it on, "Does anyone need any props? Boy have I got a prop for you." and then giggled.

It was when Nell came up with an innovation on the French style that Nicolette burst into gleeful laugher. "Ooh yes, yes do be French!" How entirely unexpected.

"Lets be French actresses." Nicci crooned, "Ellie and Lavande direct from Theatre du Marais..."

Nell laughed at the idea of skinning cats, and she scooted over to make room when Nicolette moved beside her. “No, we don't look like washerwomen. And I wouldn't recommend that we pose as whores, even the high class kind. We'd get too many propositions.”

She let the Frenchwoman sound out various ideas, chortling again when Nicolette pretended to hawk props. “Most stagehands are men, but we could both be orange girls. I can even teach you how it's done.”

Nell was glad that Nicolette was not offended by her French accent. Some foreigners did not like to be imitated. Her suggestion that they pose as French actresses was met with a grin. “That sounds like a good plan. If we're straight from France, no one will ask us what plays we've been in. What is the Theatre du Mais? You'll need to fill me in on what I should know to convincingly play a French actress.”

If Nell was going to play any part, she was going to play it to perfection.

"We'd leave a trail of frustrated fellows in our wake," Nicolette laughed brightly at their shared vanity, and it was even true.

"You must have been very good at it." she commented as Nell said she could teach Nicolette how Orange selling was done. After all she'd enticed the King into far more than a sweet mid-show treat. "Do tell me, what is the secret to it? "

Though it might yet be that they were both French actresses. "The theatre du Marais was once an old tennis court, but became a play house, and was remodelled after a fire... oh decades ago... to be just the most magical place. But a few years ago, after Moliere died the company closed to join with Moliere's troupe." she gave a wistful sigh, "I love the plays of Moliere."

"Hmm... yes so perhaps that is why we have come to England now, because the theatre is there no longer, and so we have struck out to make our fortunes here... and to seek the man we believe to be our father?"

"Ooh, perhaps he is an English actor?"

ref

Nell didn't consider herself vain. Her lack of conceit was part of what she believed set her apart in a world of arrogant toffs. However, maybe she was more proud of her beauty than she would admit to herself, for she had always had it and tended to take it for granted.

“Wit and perception,” she answered. “It's easy selling oranges to people who want them, but you have to be witty and perceptive to sell them to those who never intended to buy one.” She winked at Nicolette. “It also doesn't hurt to show a bit of cleavage or to drop one on the floor and bend over to pick it up.”

A theatre in London had burned down last spring and now Nell discovered that a French theatre had succumbed to fire as well. Were theatres all over the world prone to fire, or did people just like to burn them down? At least the French one had risen from the ashes, for a time at least.

Nell nodded. Nicolette's idea was a good one and would explain their presence in England. When she suggested that their father was an actor, Nell leaned forward. “What if we say he is an English lord and he doesn't yet know we exist?”

Pretty and witty Nell, words that would go down in the history books. The perception of the woman was less fabled, yet part in parcel of the package that she was. "What sort of perceptions?" Nicci knew of phsical flirtation, but was curious to the more subtle insights, and quizzed.

Their backstory grew and grew, it was all such fun to imagine. "Ooh... perhaps Lord Sedley, he is a playwright is he not?"

"Ah, but that might be foolish to use a real Lords name, for what if a rumour gets out that he has French daughters looking for him . London is quite small, and gossip spreads quickly." (Though Nell might think that a fine prank to play on her friend?)

"Perhaps we do not know the name of our Father, only that he is a lord."

“It's hard to explain. When no one was buying my oranges, I'd pick people out of the crowd and watch them, trying to figure out what they wanted by their facial expressions and the way they moved. When I thought I knew, I approached them. I suggested to pious gentlemen that they partake in the Lord's bounty by purchasing an orange. If a lady looked sad, I would compliment her appearance. A dour gentlemen would get a humorous remark. Little things like that.”

Nell shrugged. “It worked. I sold a lot of oranges.”

She shook her head when Nicolette proposed that they pose as the daughters of Lord Sedley. It was tempting to play such a prank on him, but there was one problem. “He's barely old enough to have daughters our age and I don't know if he's ever been to France."

The Frenchwoman's next suggestion was met with approval. “Either we don't know his name or we don't want to tell anyone who he is. If rumors do spread about us, I imagine quit a few gentlemen will be worried that their past is about to come back and haunt them.”

Looking out the window, Nell noticed that they were nearing their destination. “We're almost there. Is there anything you want to know about the baths before we arrive?”

Nicci Nodded, believing she understood the manner of thing Nell described, it was flirtation really, a craft that women at all levels of society wielded. As to Sedley, he was out, besides he was too young. "I dare say no one would enquire of details to that extreme, any how." Nicolette grinned, and nodded in agreement to their back story as it was all settled.

As Nell announced they ere nearly there, Nicolette laughed brightly and gathered herself together. "I just hope there are not too many puddles, I think you boots might leak, and my heel is loose. for they were planned to walk the last block or two.

"What sort of people shall we see at the bath?" Nicolette picked up Nells earlier enquiry for questions, "it seems to be a good way from the fashionable part of town."

“Oh, they might be curious. Who wouldn't want to know if that lord they detest is about to be visited by two illegitimate daughters he doesn't know he has? And you know how people like to gossip. We'll just have to be mysterious and not reveal too much. If someone puts you on the spot, just pretend you don't understand what they're saying or tell them to ask me.” Nell was a master at improv.

There did seem to be quite a few puddles on the street, as well as some potholes. “I think we can avoid them. We'll only be walking a couple of blocks.”

The coach came to a stop and before she answered Nicolette's question, she opened the door and stepped out. She had already told the coach driver to offer them no assistance. “Commoners, mostly. Nobles go there occasionally.” Nell grinned. “Oh, and everybody bathes in the same room, so you might want to avert your eyes when a man steps into a tub.”

Nicolette was less certain that the average citizen would show interest in them, so that she imagined their elaborate back story might in fact never be revealed. But Nell was the one to really know, and seemed quite sure that they would spark interest. “La, I am learning many things from you today.” She admitted, and nodded her head to turning any curly questions back to the actress to handle. Another grin was flashed. “This is already such fun!”

Hopping out of the carriage after Nell, Nicolette managed her own decent easily. Perhaps that was an advantage to being raised under stricken circumstances, for she had not had a ladies maid for most of her life. In fact, the one that Lisa had ‘given’ her had been her very first.

Nicci linked her arm through the others as they begun their walk, with Nell telling her a little of what to expect. “Why on earth would I look away?” she cried with a cheeky wink.

Nell didn't really think that anyone would be interested in who they were or where they came from, but it was good to be prepared. It was more likely that they would be looked at with curiosity than questioned about their past. The most talkative visitors were regulars who were already acquainted with each other. Nell had been one of them once, back when she had sold oranges. She'd taken a bath about twice a month then. No one wanted to buy oranges from a girl who reeked. Now that she had risen in status, she bathed as frequently as everyone else at court.

The former actress grinned when Nicolette linked her arm through hers. She certainly seemed excited. This Frenchwoman saw an adventure in an activity Nell had always taken for granted and sometimes balked at.

She chuckled at Nicolette's saucy answer. “So you can keep from laughing, of course. Sometimes it's hard, especially if a man's been shortchanged. And then there are those who have been blessed. It's difficult not to gawk at them.

“You also need to be aware that the baths are considered a treatment for the pox. But don't worry, You can't catch the pox from bathwater. If you could, I'd be dead by now.”

The ladies were in fact rather in agreement on that score. "We think alike already, just like sisters." Nicolette grinned, strutting down the street she threw flirtatious looks at chaps they passed. She was having a very fine time in Nell’s company.

“Shortchanged?" Lamentably perhaps, Nicolette had only seen two cocks, and both were fine specimens. The idea that some might be frugal was tragic indeed. The French woman blinked digesting the information, and then considered "Though I suppose those men are easier for virgins." Francis had seemed far too big initially. Flashing Nell a grin, she then laughed like it was a great joke.

"Ooh, but what about us? Dont say they shall be able to see our bubbies? Won't there be screens or something?"

She fell hush when Nell mentioned pox - the mirth ebbed with ominous talk - even though claimed you could not catch it in a bath. "That would be no fun." She did not want to catch a disease down there! Suddenly wished she'd brought her beloved book the Culpeper, so she could read up on the topic to make quite sure. Still she tried smile again.

Quite a few men looked in their direction as they strolled toward the baths, but none of them approached them, which the former actress thought quite odd considering that Nicolette was not being very subtle. Nell winked at a few of them herself. She thought she had disguised herself well enough that no one would recognize her that didn't know her well.

Nell had seen quite a few cocks during her time as an orange girl and an actress. From the way the Frenchwoman spoke, she was probably a virgin. “Everyone says that size matters, but I don't think it's as important as knowing what to do with what you have.”

She shook her auburn curls. “No screens, but they do give you robes to put on after you've undressed. Most women don't care if men look at their bubbies or not, but if you disrobe carefully, you might be able to sink into the tub without anyone seeing.” Nell was proud of her own body and was not at all modest. If she was absolutely certain that she wouldn't be recognized, she would give everyone a good look at her goodies before she stepped into the bath.

“Like I said, don't worry. It won't happen. People go to the baths for many reasons.”

Nell was really quite sure that they could not catch anything - the further insistence did put Nicci to ease some. "There are herbs that would help such folk much better than a bath." the Frenchwoman commented in a quiet aside.

Just recently inducted, Nicolette was very interested to talk about sex. "That sounds right," she nodded with Nell's theory, "for their cock is just one thing, and there is so many things." she remembered the warmth of Francis breath, the graze of his fingertips, and the things that Louis did with his tongue. "Do you think it is men that say bigger is better then? It sounds like a man's saying, they can be quite competitive cant they."

"Oh, I see." It was a bit like at the sea, when ladies had bathed at Brighton with coverings, and then some who had not. "Will you use a cover?" she suspected she knew ballsy Nell’s answer already. "If you aren’t, then I shall not either."

“They probably take those too. I don't think there is any real cure for the pox.”

Maybe Nicolette was not as innocent as she seemed. “I believe it is a matter of opinion. Some women really do think bigger is better, and some men know how to make up for their 'shortcomings.' I don't know what men think among themselves. I'll never understand them as long as I live.”

Nell shook her head and grinned as they reached the door of the bathhouse. “I prefer to go 'au natural.' Wouldn't want anyone to think I had something to hide."

London libertines of both sexes make their way to the baths in Leather Lane to "take the cure".

The Bath house is in essence a large steam-filled room. At it's centre a huge fire pit sits where up to a dozen kettles at a time might be boiled, the fires smoke wafts out through a opening in the room. Set out in a circular fashion around the fire pit are a great many copper baths, close enough together that conversations might be carried out by their occupants. And very occupied it is, open from 12 to 7pm daily, the Bath house does a roaring trade - Maids rush about refilling tubs as they cool, bringing towels, moving screens for those that desire privacy.

Following a half hour sweating, a dose of mercury completes the treatment, the fee: tuppence ha'penny.

A warm mist wafted through the door as Nell opened it and walked in. It was difficult to see well because of all the steam. A few of the tubs were occupied but there were still some open. Nell led Nicolette to one side where a long bench sat against the wall. A pile of thin robes lay upon it, as well as several mounds of discarded clothing. This, as the former actress knew well, was the women's side. The men undressed across the room.

She began peeling off her clothes. “Another reason I told you to wear old clothes is that they're sometimes stolen. No one will want ours. They're too worn out. Stealing them would probably be doing us a favor."

Nicolette tipped her head at Nell’s comment, and said naught of it. She had heard men say they would never understand women, but never the other way around. Men seemed very easy to understand, from where she was standing. Perhaps Nell's life revealed some complexity to them that was not evident to Nicolette?

"Then I shall too." It was too late to retract her claim to do as Nell did. "Besides, nobody knows us here."

Into the Bathhouse they went, Nicolette looking about as they entered, curious to the sights, sounds even smells. What was that unusual smell, it was almost, no, she was fairly sure it was sulphur. Her skin quickly felt damp in the humidity. She followed after Nell to the far side. And mimicking the Kings Mistress, begun unbuttoning her things. Cloak upon a peg first, and then hooks and laces were addressed.

"If our clothes are stolen, then we'll need to steal someone else’s to go home." was the conclusion. Nicolette glanced to the other clothes on the bench wondering what she'd try to grab. But for now it was undressing. Off with skirts, she heaped the fabric on the bench to not touch the wet floor. Then top removed, till she was down to chemise. Sitting, she begun work on taking off her boots.

"I stole some sweets from a lolly shop once. I felt very bad about it, but they did taste so good."

The only notice Nell took of her surroundings was to sweep her gaze over the occupants of the tubs to make certain they were all strangers. The baths were commonplace to her and everything about them was familiar and a bit nostalgic. She had not been here for a couple of years, but nothing at all had changed.

She was curious as to whether Nicolette would change her mind and decide not to remove all of her clothes after all, or if she would need assistance undressing. The former actress still found it difficult to believe that most nobles didn't put their own clothes on and take them off. She had a maidservant to perform that task now as well, although unless she was going to a court event or to see the King, she still preferred to dress herself.

Nell removed her boots right after she hung up her cloak. The floor was warm and damp beneath her bare feet, reminding her of those days long ago when she hadn't even owned a pair of shoes. In the winter, she used to wrap them in rags to keep them warm.

“Unless we want to walk back to the carriage in our robes, we'll have to.” She didn't mention that she had stolen other women's clothes before because they had been warmer or fancier than her own. As a child, she'd had very few morals. “Forbidden fruit,” she commented, pulling her chemise over her head and placing it on top of the rest of her clothes. Completely nude now, she stretched, arching her back and lifting her arms high. “It's the best kind.”

Reluctantly donning one of the thin robes, she waited for Nicolette to do the same so that they could claim their tubs before someone else beat them to it. There were a couple of men undressing on the other side of the room.

It was laces that were the most difficult to manage by yourself, but Nicci had managed when she'd needed to. Front lacing helped! But today they were not in court gowns, but dressed in simpler fare. So it was that Nicolette easily enough undressed.

There were some men across the way...

Nicolette looked towards them, then to Nell, before with a raise of eyebrow she discarded her final layer, and flashed the men a grin and all the rest. "Oolala! I hope the water is hot, my nipples will freeze off if they aren’t warmed soon!" and cheerily the French girl claimed herself a tub.

Nell thought the room was quite hot already, but having spent most of her childhood without warm clothing, she wasn't very sensitive to the cold. She laughed at Nicolette's comment, subtly appraising the Frenchwoman's nude form. The former actress wasn't attracted to women, but all ladies were curious as to how their own bodies compared to others.

When Nicci sank into a tub, Nell noticed one of the men from across the room striding over to the one beside it. Discarding her robe, she hurried over to it, stepping into the steaming water and grinning at him. “Ladies first, monsieur,” she said with a cheeky grin.

“Stupid whore,” the man huffed and crossed the room to a tub another man had just vacated.

Nell winked at Nicolette. “I wonder what he'd do if he knew who he just insulted.” She leaned back into the tub until the water was nearly up to her chin.

Archived