JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

When one can't have one's own father...| @Worcester's 28/12- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

Worcester's house isn't in the guidebook, but we've used it, so I'm going to try and hunt up the description

It was fortuitous that most the nobility kept later hours, because as he returned to the house after Gresham with Arthur, he was yet hoping to have the discussion he had suggested to his father-in-law when he had picked Arthur up.

Though he was hoping to repair matters with his own father sooner rather than later, there were a few things he was hoping his father-in-law could help him with before then. Since he was also a privy councilor, he might be able to offer some ideas just as well as his father could.

Plus, he wished to share what Cumberland had said about Mary and the Queen. Joining familial forces to help such a thing come about only benefit all of them; not to mention, it was quite a compliment for one's young daughter to be well-received. Beverley might have felt himself something of a disappointment as a son-in-law were it not for Worcester also have been estranged, rather permanently, from his own father. It made him a bit less nervous as he walked inside with Arthur, thankful to be out of the cold once more.

There were flurries falling against outside, and it was frigid. He did not long for a trip back to Whitehall.

• 2 months later...

Beverley was admitted at once, his coat removed and he was shown to the parlor where a warm fire was burning. As always, he was offered whatever refreshment he might desire.

It did not take long for the son-in-law to be admitted into the presence of the Marquess. The older man was seated by a roaring fire in his private library and beckoned the younger man to join him beside the fire.

"Come in son and have a seat. How fare things these days?" There was a certain amount of awkwardness as Worcester knew from his daughter that Beverley was estranged from his father and now was moving into cramped quarters in Whitehall courtesy of Cumberland.

OOC~ Apologies for missing this thread for so long.

Lord Worcester, like many older lords, even if not as old as his own father, made him nervous. Marrying his daughter had not made him less nervous, simply nervous in different ways.

As he was shown in the roaring fire greeted him with a wave of warmth that was echoed by Worcester's friendly greeting.

At least someone is calling me son these days... his mind supplied as he made his bow.

"Good evening, my lord." He came in and sat himself a bit stiffly for the scenario, but young men were oft such a way around those far greater.

The question of how things fared was a deeper one than the surface suggested. "Very busy in unexpected ways, but far better than might be expected, erm, given the situation." There was little point in ignoring the glaring fact that he had been at odds with his father for months now.

"We have a bit of holiday ale left over from earlier today. You best have a mug to warm your spirits," his father-in-law suggested. He looked to signal the servant by the door unless Beverley objected.

"Far better? Now that is welcome news indeed." Worcester had not been expecting that. He had been expecting a request for money perhaps, but not good news. "Tell me more," he encouraged.

Beverley nodded at the offer of an ale. He was quite the light-weight drinker, so ales and ciders oft suited him better.

"It was a cold night to go to Gresham," he said. This winter is just frigid! It was not as if the Thames froze all that often.

Beverley would have been a bit mortified to know that Worcester had thought Beverley might ask him for money. It would have to be dire for him to even contemplate that. Worcester had already given Beverley his part of coin, technically speaking, even if it had been written to the estate and thus under the dominion of his father. Now his wife, on the other hand, could ask her parents for whatever gifts she wished.

"Have you heard from Mary that His Highness arranged a place for us at the palace?" Beverley asked. "It shall require some decorating to be worthy of much for it is small with just a bedroom and small parlour, but it is near to his and any space there is quite an honor."

"I can imagine," came the sympathetic reply. "Every year it seems to get colder. I wonder if it is a global phenomena or just us English having bad luck of it."

"Yes, Mary told her mother. It is quite an honor indeed ... to be so close to the royals. I am hoping it gets Mary noticed too. I know she is a bit young but the Queen is hardly much older." He wished to encourage his son-in-law not to be sullen, and to remind him that Mary could benefit as well. Of course, he was ignorant of Rupert's plotting in that direction. The idea had come naturally to him.

"I hope it is not a permanent change, for giving up hunting all winter would be a damn shame," Beverley replied. Not being able to ride for months would surely sour him. It was one of few things he enjoyed that he was actually good at.

As to their new accommodations and Worcester's hopes for his daughter, Beverley smiled. "She had already accomplished that whilst we were at Windsor. Her Majesty was also there for her relaxation as His Majesty went on progressions. My master has encouraged that such notice could be turned into a household position as one of her Ladies." Beverley's face seemed to be a bit astonished himself. It had all begun with far more ease than anyone might expect.

"His Highness is even letting her use some of his jewels...or rather Mrs. Hughes'." Though, really, in Beverley's mind they were still Rupert's, much in the way that their family jewels were still his father's no matter who wore them. "Diversity in jewelry boxes is apparently essential."

"Most likely it is temporary," Worcester replied, given that Beverley seemed intent on it being so. "Nothing like a hunt to clear one's mind."

"That is welcome news," the Marquess declared, happy that Mary was already on a path to seek a position with the Queen. It was an honor for the family and the Somersets sought a representative. Lucy Killington had been selected, but she was not of Somerset or Seymour blood. They were not the only family trying to position a daughter to join the Queen. "With Cumberland's assistance, things should go smoothly." The Queen was Rupert's niece, so it seemed all but assured to Worcester.

"Yes, jewelry is important. Mary can borrow some of her mother's jewels if need be." He could not, in good conscience, let Mary take charity from Peg Hughes without an offer of their own. "She shall need something stunning for the New Year's Eve ball."

Beverley nodded, "It certainly does help to have the approval of the Queen's uncle, though there must be more to it than that." Or else household positions would be far easier to come by; then again Beverley had the tendency to be used to being in the background of things.

"There must be others who wish such a position and not many can be granted it, even of the worthy." He licked his lips, not wishing to get over-excited for the possibility. "Though they are of similar age."

I could teach her some German... his brow twitched ...Perhaps I could hire a German tutor? His German was far more passable than his horrible French, for having been in Rupert's service for six years, but it was only passable. Perhaps we should *both* learn more German...

"You are most kind. I am sure Mary will be happy to hear it, my lord," Beverley replied to the offer of using their jewels as well. "My lady mother has made the same offer as well, so together we shall have her looking as much a fine woman as any Lady of the Queen must. What other machinations are there to such things?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Beverley was not quite so adept at how ladies won positions at court. Well, other than the ones that made it on their backs. Other than it being family maneuvering, he had little idea what the actual maneuvering actions should be.

"It does. I suspect your master could convince the Queen and no one need do anything, but the Prince seems to be more about someone earning an opportunity as well. I think the door is open, but our Mary needs to appear to be a good potential companion for the Queen." It was the only reason Worcester believed that Mary had not been selected already. "Others are trying the same. Cavendish is making no secret in pushing his daughter and I've no doubt that Ormonde is doing the same." Ormonde had a wealth of daughters, as did Cavendish. Now that Mary had a wealth of jewels to wear, she could compete with the other grand families.

Beverley spoke of machinations, but the Marquess had addressed some of that already. "I think Queen's favor those that could be good and discreet companions. Mary need to smile whenever in the Queen's presence. People like being with ladies who smile all the time. Make sure Mary stands near the Queen at the next ball so that they might find an excuse to chat." These ideas were relatively obvious, but the Marquess was trying to be helpful. He was about to suggest that he help with the situation personally but thought better of it.

"Hmm," Beverley said, considering the ladies. They were all quite fine in their own ways and true competition. Beverley had grown fond of Lady Frances, and he had known Ormonde's daughters for much of their lives, through their father's close work together.

"Worthy indeed, but I do not think Mary has any reason to shrink from such things; she is finer yet and married. None of the others can claim so, and one would think a lady of one's own age in the same situation would be very welcomed."

He assumed women spoke of their husbands just as husbands spoke of their wives. There was some level of conversation of the opposite sex whenever one was surrounded by one's compatriots.

"Very good point, I shall, but she is also most apt on her own I think, to your credit, my lord. After all, it was she who gained the notice to begin with, so she must have some good recollection how she behaved to gain it," he said, a most obvious thing said with a most serious nod.

"What other suggestions might you have? We would be most happy for any help which, no doubt, benefits us all," he added. Plus, in that moment, he had no one else to speak to of it. He was not reconciled with his father, even if he had resigned himself to attempt it the next day. Worcester was the only one he had available to please if Mary did well.

"You are correct to note that Mary has the benefit of being married," Worcester complimented. "In these sorts of endeavors it is better to have the girls marry early so as to compete against the ones waiting overlong for better matches." He too knew that women liked to discuss problems with sex, husbands and child birthing with those experienced.

"I suppose you need to get Mary with child at your earliest opportunity," the Marquess laughed. "It would make her a perfect companion for the Queen, and it would make her mother so happy."

Beverley asked after other suggestions. "Other than learning the German language, I suppose it would help for her to become better acquainted with Lady Blount." Ursula was the Queen's gatekeeper and Mistress of the Robes, making her a key contact.

For a moment Beverley paused.

Does that mean...if he had waited longer, he would have been able to get a better ma... He blinked. No, it couldn't be so, could it?

The joke about getting his wife pregnant made him laugh as well. "Where we are staying at the palace has only one bed, my lord. I doubt more attention could be paid to the matter." He grinned and took a sip to cover his youthful glee at the thought of sex.

"Lady Blount, yes indeed, very good point. It was quite unfortunate when Lord Mountjoy had to cancel his hunt earlier in the year. I do not know much of Lady Blount. Do you know any of her likes or dislikes?" His eyebrows raised hopefully.

Worcester laughed as Beverley used the size of the bed as code for sex. "Good lad. Carry on then with the ... more attention to the matter." He continued to chuckle. Since Mary was his daughter, he was disinclined to use a more lurid description as well.

"I cannot say that I know her at all. I hear only that she lost many husbands in Saxony and that she has a practical mind. I should think your master would know her well. It might be wise to have him introduce the two of you at the appropriate time for Lady Blount to get to know Mary better." He was a bit surprised that such an introduction had yet to occur.

Beverley nearly chuckled at Worcester's reply but instead replied with a boyish sort of smile. Sex, even in a subtle manner, was a nervous sort of topic for him.

"Many husbands?" Beverley's dark brow rose. "How many is many?" Such luck does not bode well for Lord Mountjoy.

Has anyone even seen Lord Mountjoy?

Up went the other eyebrow at his own thoughts. The content of which likely played out on his face as well.

"I am sure such a thing could be arranged easily enough, though my master is far more concerned over the affairs with France and raising the necessary coin for cannon than the conversation of ladies." He smiled some.

"I am not quite sure," Worcester admitted. "I was told she had buried several husbands. It seemed impolite to ask for further details." He could tell his son-in-law was surprised by the disclosure.

When Beverley gave his excuses for Rupert, the Marquess appeared to give an understanding look. "His Highness is known to be a tireless planner. Fortunately, this time of year begs even the most dedicated to set aside work and enjoy a few days of social frivolity. If ever there was a time to encourage his social assistance, it would be now ... would it not?" He posed it as a question so it would seem less like a directive.

"As you see him most days, I should imagine the topic could be raised easily enough." He paused to see if the young husband stood ready to take the initiative.

"Ominous," Beverley replied, both eyebrows going up.

"Not something one could ask about, I suppose," he rationalized. "Nor something one might volunteer." Stating the obvious.

"Oh, yes, of course, my lord. He has been most willing to help in the endeavor," Beverley assured. "I shall ask him. There shall be balls and events enough to do so." A certain amount of small talk and such was expected at such events anyway.

"But we should not speak solely of me. How has the season been for you? Are you being pulled into more politicking than Christmastide should rightly have as well?" Between war, war funding, and the potentials for Mary, there was less merry in his season that there should be!

The topic soon turned to himself, causing the Marquess to sigh. "Yes, well, I am mostly hoping that there shall be no bad news out of Wales this season," he began with a light smile and a less than serious demeanor.

As a member of the Court party, the Marquess found himself in the unenviable position of supporting the Earl of Danby until the present. He had distanced himself from the Lord Treasurer but the King had yet to anoint a new leader of the party. As such, it still seemed possible that Danby would recover and be forgiven. It was the nature of the King to forgive his lords. As such, Henry had not tried to advance his own candidacy. All of these things would be revealed in time, but this was not the best time to discuss with Beverley. It was not that he could not trust the young gentleman, it was just that his direction was so unclear that there was little to tell. There was, however, another recent development.

"I suppose in a related topic, Titus Oates seems to be gaining a march on his detractors. It has come to my attention that one of his retinue is slandering me in regard to the plot. No doubt he has been well paid by my enemies." He did not seem to let it bother him, but Worcester hid the angst he was feeling. "Hopefully it shall pass along with all the other gossipmongering that fills the holiday season."

Beverley chuckled at the Marquess' joke. The Welsh were more a line of defense than any threat these days. Even the Irish only posed threats in wild, Catholic conspiracies (for which the Welsh Marches would then be very important indeed).

"You, my lord?" Beverley's brow furrowed. He had not heard that. He had been far too busy dealing with their naval issues, but it seemed he could not let his vigilance down even when things became busy (in the perspective and world of a lordling, at least, where half one's occupation was leisure). "There is always talk, though, of any grand personage whose family is only recently of the Kingdom's faith. Who is this man in Oates' retinue and what was the rumour?" he asked. He could do his part to quash it. He had his young band of hellion rumour-mongers in London that he could enlist to bang some drums for Worcester*.

One reason why Worcester had been a preferred father-in-law as precisely because he was the first of his family to convert to the state faith, or "convert." Beverley was not entirely sure which. Only that Worcester did not take issues with Catholics. Even if, like everyone, they pretended to in public just as Beverley did.

"Either way, there is little but gossip and gift comparisons to, erm, fill the holiday time. The closer we come to war, the more the antipathy will turn to French Catholics, a double enemy of the Mob!" he chuckled. "They shall lose their desire to pester good, English lords who are essential to the war." He had personally seen that gossip onto the London streets and would see to its continuance. There was probably a pleased little gleam to his hazel eyes.

(OOC - in a previous thread Beverley recruited a pack of boys who had been banging drums against Catholics to turn their tunes to banging their drums for war, condemning anyone against it, and damning French Papists instead )

"The man is William Bedloe. My wife says he is a man whose whole life has been pageantry and villainy and whose word would not have been taken at sixpence." He laughed at the thought. "He has not come out to accuse me directly but he has hinted that if I seek to oppose Oates pageantry about this so-called Popish Plot, that I shall find myself suspect as well. Can you imagine the gall of this cheap charlatan?" His voice rose in anger as he relayed the conversation.

"So I play along for now, waiting for him to make a mistake. His type achieves fame in but fleeting form and then he will become a nobody again, and at my mercy. The key is patience son. Patience. Let the mouse dance in front of the cat as long as the dog is behind him. When the dog is gone, so too will be the mouse."

He sat back in his chair and exhaled to restore calm. "Do you believe the stories of Jesuits plotting the death of the King? It would be too incredible to believe had not there been an actual attempt on the King's life last year. It just seems far too fanciful and to have as the only witnesses two men of the lowest order."

Beverley did have a tightness in his chest over the conversation. Accusations of such a kind could become serious, but they were not likely to so long as one was very careful.

"What form of a story could he tell? That you shall let those Irish conspirators march right across Wales into London, my lord?" he chuckled some. "And the French behind them? And what might possibly be gained?"

There were far easier and greater targets than Worcester, so he did not worry over much.

"I believe there is always talk of some grand plot, but is it so oft that any such rumor comes to fruition?" Beverley said. He shrugged, "There are always fanatics...but more oft I think it others using the fear of fanatics to maneuver or to distract...or for lesser men to pursue vengeance of their own." That was most of Beverley's measure about this Oates fellow. Even those who had been damned with evidence were the lowest of the low; hardly the stuff of supreme plots to replace kings. And Catholic or not, York was not seen as very desirable as a monarch.

"Oh, he is not foolish enough to accuse me directly, I should think; but, he would seek to incriminate members of my household as abetting some sort of plot, which would bring a shadow on me. The man has no scruples," the Marquess explained.

As for Beverley's assessment of plots, Worcester found himself in agreement. "There shall ever be whispers of grand plots and conspiracies because it is a welcome relief from talk of the mundane." Straightening his waistcoat as they conversed, he added "best be careful of whom you trust and what you say in days such as these son."

• 3 weeks later...

"That is a very large household to take ammunition from," Beverley said. Worcester surely had enough estates which meant a lot of people involved in the running of it, not to mention whatever Welsh garrisons existed underneath his command. "But in the end, a gentleman cannot know everything about everyone he employs." He sighed. "I suppose it does not matter though, for logic was never a tool of the masses."

That was what made things so very dangerous even for a royalist. Enemies did not care about truth. They cared about advantages by any means.

Honor only went so far.

"I am very careful, my lord. But nor do I have any love for foreigners or even any foreign correspondence for anyone to attempt to take advantage. None could say I am in any way prejudiced in my duties. I have been just as keen in prosecuting war against France as the Dutch, perhaps moreso. Foreigners making attempts on our King, erm, and our nation's sovereignty needs to be decisively dealt with."

"Indeed. One never knows all about all one's servants. It is the ones closest to me that I watch the closest. Bedloe would like to find fault with someone close to me in London, as opposed to some servant in a far-flung estate." His voice lowered as to what he would say next. "The key is to have witnesses aplenty ... to have servants that can testify that other servants were at home during the times alleged by Bedloe. It is no complete tonic but it serves to raise doubt in the minds of a court."

The Marquess believed that his servants were close enough in camaraderie that they would vouch for each other, even if it meant stretching the truth. The truth was a fluid thing when combatting those who lacked veracity.

"Yes, I should think that your actions are easily defended. Cumberland's protection is equally important in that regard. Still, I would be careful in any dealings with commoners not well known to you." In this older man reflected his bias in favor of the nobility not being a party to such tawdry activities.

"Decisively dealt with," he mumbled in agreement, "foreign or domestic." Standing up, the father-in-law proclaimed "I get sleepy in front of a fire and find it robust to stand and take a short walk periodically to keep my humors in balance and to keep me alert." It was clear that he was going to take a walk. Maybe his leg had fallen asleep. "You are free to come along Beverley."

If the marquess had that bias against commoners, so did his new son-in-law. Beverley had never had many dealings with commoners unless it was in ordering them about in one capacity or another. He too believed the nobility was above tactics used by the mob.

"I am, my lord. I have no desire to make Mary a widow as soon as I have made her a wife," he affirmed.

When his father-in-law stood, Beverley did as well.

"I should return. It is quite late and I've no wish to leave her alone late into the night, unless there is something else you wish to speak about?"

Beverley chose to take his leave. "I will bid you a good evening then. Feel free to stop by at any time. Give my daughter her parent's love and keep her and you safe," he commented as he escorted his son-in-law to the door. Politely he waited for the servant to bring Robert's coat and hat and then bid him farewell.

~fin

Archived