JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

An appointment with Pepys | 28/12 early evening- Xmas 1677

Robert Saint-Leger

(OOC - I can't find the Admiralty listed anywhere on our board, but in early 1700 it was between Whitehall and Pall Mall, so I'll just drop this thread here for now )

After his meeting with Lord Maldon, Beverley had gone directly to his meeting with Pepys after giving his apologies to his wife and telling her not to wait up for him. He intended to go to a presentation at Gresham afterward. It was on something planetary and that could perhaps have implications for navigation that he wished to hear about. He thought to stop on his way and see if his wife's brothers wished to accompany him; they were both interested by things of science and it seemed a good enough excuse to try to speak to their father afterward.

The admiralty was a familiar place to him and while Cumberland maintained offices as Lord High Admiral at Whitehall, much of the operation of the Navy and finances was out of the building between Whitehall and Pall Mall, passed the Mews.

He told a clerk to tell Pepys he had arrived.

Lord Beverley would find that he was expected. He did not find himself waiting long at all. He was shown into the office of Mr. Pepys.

"Lord Beverley, welcome. Can I offer you something to drink?" There was little more than mulled wine on offer. "please come in and have a seat. We received your note and have assembled the files you requested."

Beverley smiled at the other man as he was quickly shown in.

"That would be appreciated," he replied of the drink. He did not have the strongest tolerance for liquor so mulled wine was something he drank quite often anyway. The viscount was too polite to ask for something specific and Pepys not have what he had asked.

"All of it? Already?" Beverley replied, somewhat surprised. "You are a very diligent man, Mr Pepys. I had only expected it to be begun." He had, after all, not specified to have it fully prepared but to start on those matters.

"If all our Navy had such readiness!"

The viscount seated himself.

"Indeed indeed," Pepys replied with pride. "There are still small details to verify of course."

Wine was poured for him. Samuel paused to pour himself a glass as well.

The charts supplied had a list of ships in service, both navy and the auxiliary. The number of cannon were in a column/ There was also a small list of those with a Letter of Marque, just awaiting the outbreak of war. "Hopefully you will find them in good order."

Beverley took a cursory look at the parchments and nodded. Without more time, he would not immediately know if anything was amiss. He would take look at them in private. Mr. Pepys was smart enough to know not to give him substandard things to give to his master but Beverley was the sort to make certain.

"I am sure that I will and that my master will as well," the viscount said, pleasantly, sipping the mulled wine.

"Now, after such diligence, are there any matters before you which require His Highness' assistance on, or mine? Or any in particular deserving of accolades," he asked. Of course, Beverley would be sure to remind his master to send appropriate gratitude to Mr. Pepys and his clerks for their hard work at Christmastide; he would likely end up with that task on his own plate which was fine with him. Largesse was no ephemeral concept to Beverley, he simply did not have his own, but applying his master's with his permission was a good portion of an aide's duties.

"Are there other matters for the Navy's readiness for war which we should concern over? Do you feel we are prepared for Spring? Do we have enough officers and sailors or do you think we shall have to make plans to recruit or press?"

• 2 weeks later...

"The paperwork is in order as you see," Samuel replied to Beverley's question. "I've no shortage of experienced captains to call into service. The readiness reports are not yet all in. I suspect that many of the vessels are not in the shape they should be in," he continued. "Available funds that might go towards repair are often redirected to the crews to keep them from mutiny. it is the most common question we are asked m'lord ... whether there will be funds advanced. Many captains worry that the crew wants to see coin rather than promises." The information was delivered in a deferential way, so as to not sound disrespectful.

"I am happy to report that the Admiralty is funded properly for the time being and that my department's morale is high. It is mostly the lesser ships in the fleet where readiness and morale are at an ebb. We have been awaiting new bills and levies in Parliament but none have been forthcoming."

Beverley had thought that annoying Lord Brynfield had improved the naval finances, at least in regard to pay, with some bank hub-bub. Perhaps not, though. Finance was not his area of expertise, but he had to make it his concern nonetheless.

"Have you any...ideas...for raising funds?" Beverley asked. Mr. Pepys was an intelligent and useful man, so the viscount would certainly give him his due by asking for his thoughts. "Anything we might exploit in law or tradition that the mob might be amenable to in their hatred for the French?"

Pepys might not have any ideas, but it was worth the question.

"I am pleased that you have morale high. I shall be sure to speak of the organization and, erm, diligence to my master. Surely such military precision is to his tastes." There was only a brief pause before he added, "We will see our part is done in Parliament in the Upper House. I hope that the fervor against the French stays, it shall put the pressure we require, erm, in the place where we require it."

Beverley had employed a little gang to help stir sentiment to the war and the foreigners*.

(OOC - that was from last season IC )

The Lord asked Pepys for ideas as to funding, which had been unexpected by the bookish Master Pepys. "There could be many avenues I suppose," Samuel offered. "The sum needed would be considerable. Some sort of war tax levy would be necessary to fund the build up, but for the pay arrearage I should think more modest taxes." He rubbed his chin in thought.

"A mast tariff on any foreign ship accessing an English port. A pound a mast I should think." It was clear that there was more thought given. "Anything that does not cost Englishmen would be preferable I should think. Might we tax each foreign visitor in English ports a shilling too?"

• 2 weeks later...

The Navigation Acts preserved almost all shipping entering their ports to having a majority of English crew, which meant most of the merchant traffic was English, so they would not be making coin off foreign merchant ships in that way. However, ships transporting people and the like could probably be used for that purpose.

"Those are very good ideas, Pepys," Beverley commended. "And any foreigners who have the coin to visit England and procure a trip on a ship can surely afford a pound for entry, and that being so I'd think we could charge more per mast, perhaps 5 pounds. Since it would mostly be ships carrying people and letters, as the Acts make our merchant traffic fairly English, it would save most Englishmen from paying a tax. I will suggest it to His Highness unless you have time to come yourself and present your ideas? I can see if there would be a time he could receive you in this busy time of the year."

(OOC - this info used to be in our wiki, but just to make sure we both know the legal piece of the Acts, here's the most relevant bit: The Act banned foreign ships from transporting goods from outside Europe to England or its colonies, and banned third-party countries' ships from transporting goods from a country elsewhere in Europe to England. "The Navigation Act 1660 (passed on 13 September) added a twist to Oliver Cromwell's Act: ships' crews had to be three-quarters English, and "enumerated" products not produced by the mother country, such as tobacco, cotton, and sugar were to be shipped from the colonies only to England or other English colonies. Ship captains were required to post a bond to ensure compliance and could recoup the funds upon arrival.[18]" Pretty much this meant that the only ships transporting goods to any of His Majesty's dominions were English.)

Who was he to object to five pounds a mast? As for a pound per visitor, Samuel noted aloud "some of the visitors might be servants or those without means beyond their passage." A pound was a great deal of money to a poor person.

"Please do tell His Highness." He did not view his suggestions as anything particularly ingenious. "I have matters to attend here, especially if there is to be a mobilization. All of us are busy," he noted.

"Perhaps servants count as less, then?" Then his head tilted to the side. "Then again, that might lead to people masquerading as servants, even with needing papers." People could not just freely travel willy nilly. One usually carried letters or introductions when traveling.

"Indeed, I shall then," Beverley nodded. "If there is nothing else you have for me, I shall not keep you from your work. I, above most, know how important it is."

He set his glass aside and would stand to exit if Pepys had nothing else for him.

Who was Pepys to argue about steps taken to validate the identity and status of foreign visitors. He could only imagine how unpleasant it would be for him to pay a pound to visit France.

"Nothing else milord," the Secretary acknowledged, happy to end business on such a happy note. He too paused to see if there was anything else Beverley might require before showing the young lord out.

~fin

Archived