JOIN OUR GAME!

Your Stories Await Telling

Flaming hoops and Miniature lions|Chelsea 27/late afternoon- Xmas 1677

Hope

Winchester House

Set on an acre of fertile land in the now very popular village of Chelsea, a brand new townhouse has been constructed in the finest style. A gravel drive loops around a circular garden bed freshly planted with roses, giving access to the two story building of fine grey stone via an oak door painted a lush green as though to match the surrounding countryside. A garden is being gradually laid out around the house in an orderly and logical fashion, predominantly roses and shade trees in front and vegetables out the back, however the majority of the land is still vacant, as though perhaps other things were planned for the future. A side branch of the drive leads to a coach-house.

In contrast to the orderly nature of the architecture and garden layout, the interior of the house has been furnished in a rather more whimsical fashion. Warm, honey-coloured wood floorboards are polished to a high gleam and overlaid with white sheepskin rugs that make one want to remove one's shoes and bury one's toes in them. The furniture of the drawing and dining rooms are made of the same warm maple wood and upholstered in cream fabric with brocaded patterns of flowers and fairies. The upper arches of the windows are stained glass in a similar theme, and one might consider that there was possibly an excess of crystal prisms hanging around the various candle fixtures, causing stray sparkles and rainbows to appear about the rooms. The only place where this theme wasn't all-encompassing was the study at the rear, overlooking the herb garden, which contained furniture of somewhat darker, more masculine shades and green upholstery. At least, what could be seen of it under books and papers and the odd plant in a pot.

The bedrooms upstairs were decked out in a similar whimsical theme to the rooms below, perhaps a little more muted in the master bedroom but positively rampant in the Lady's room and the nursery, where lilac silk satin bows with little bells adorned every conceivable point, bedclothes in white satin were carefully embroidered with angels, fairies and flowers, and a mobile of the same hung above an object so heavily bedecked with bows, lace and frills that it took a few moments for the casual observer to realise that it was a baby's crib.

~//~

Noni sat at her desk, writing a list.

Flaming Hoops

Little dogs

Little dog trainers

Dog costumes

This would be quite an exciting party, she thought.

Any moment James would be home, she was looking forward to telling him her ideas.

OOC: please do add your timestamp for James and I'll edit it into the title.

• 1 month later...

Late afternoon, Monday 27th December

"Darling, I'm home!" James called as the door closed behind him, handing off his coat to one of their servants, who informed him that Noni was up in her room. Usually he'd leave her in peace, to come and greet him in her own time, but possessed of a peculiar enthusiasm likely born of being back in London amongst his peers, James positively bounded up the stairs.

He paused on the landing and knocked gently at Noni's door with one knuckle. "May I come in?" He asked. A woman didn't have much she could call entirely her own - though the house was often her castle. James tried to respect that little space that was his wife's alone.

Hearing the familiar sounds of husband's return, Noni had moved to her mirror to check her look. Clutch of paper in one hand, the other smoothing her honey-blonde hair. When the less expected sound of his feet bounded up the stairs, she delighted of his frolic, and laughing she abandoned the mirror to rush to her door.

Flinging it open she greeted, "My Lord Husband seems to be in high spirits with London, Christmas cheer seems to suit you wondrously!" she reached to take his hands, but then noticed her hold of paper in one and upon an impulse hid it behind her back. ""Come in, come in." she drew him into her room with one hand, and guided him to take the reading chair adjacent to her desk. "Tell me about your day, and I shall send for hot chocolate."

“It does indeed suit me, as does seeing my Darling Wife.” He assured her, catching her gently by the elbows since she hid her hands and kissing her gently on the cheek. “Wales is very fine of course, and I think our time there does us all a world of good, but there is something to be said for being back amongst the hubbub of London.” He enthused, allowing himself to be drawn into the room and settled into the reading chair.

As Noni sent for hot chocolate – a favourite indulgence of his and she knew it – he launched into the not actually very interesting telling of his meeting with the real estate agents regarding the Royal Infirmary, “Nothing decided of course, they’re going to see what property is available”, how he’d gone to the promised fitting for a new suit, taken a walk in the Park and encountered Lieutenant Turnbull again, “Nice fellow, seems a little scattered but of course he’s very new to London. I hope he finds his place,” and finally made his way home.

“To see my darling wife, of course. And look, I brought you a little something.” Fishing in his pocket, he pulled out a small box, which proved to contain a dozed tiny white roses made from silk ribbons, with seed pearls for centres. Each was on a little pin, and might be arranged on a garment to the wearer’s liking. “I’m assured they’re very fashionable.” James of course would have to take someone else’s word for it, but they looked pretty and harmless.

In their sweet, white innocence they had reminded him of his wife, both in her natural gentle nature and in the way that she had blossomed since their wedding. She was still very much Noni, but to him she seemed to have come more into her own, which was a boon to see. “What about yourself my dear? How has your day been?”

She gave a grin with his kiss of cheek, there was a soft sort of happiness all around about the little Savoyard.

"Ooh really?" she made the appropriate gestures and sounds to his tales of work, although it was not truly interesting to her, she knew how seriously he took it all. She was more alert to his talk of suit fitting, she was obviously fretful that he'd choose a drab colour. His wardrobe when she had met him had been a rather strange blend, though it was apparent that he'd recently made some effort with more some expensive showy items, but when the rest was so muted, it just did not suit with who he was. "Did you choose the blue?" she asked, concern in her innocently-wide eyes.

The hot chocolate arrived, and Noni bit her lip in a moment of thinking before setting her paper down on the table. Did she impress her lord husband by her marvelous patience? Already it had been several minutes, and she'd not even told him what she'd bee doing. Not even mentioned her piece of paper, when she knew he'd noticed her holding it. She looked across at James again now and wondered if he was testing her? But no, James would never test her. He just was not that sort.

Taking up her cup she sipped the sweet and milky beverage, and listened to the tale of the chance meeting in the park. "It takes some time, some times. When I first arrived to London, I was not sure where to set my hat. Who's company was best to keep. Or even what to do with a day."

James was a good influence on Noni, who enjoyed this calmness she felt around him.

"For me?" but then he told her of a surprise, and quickly she set her cup down (So she would not spill it.) Taking the box she opened it up, and smiled broadly as she saw what it was. "Ooh these are beautiful." pinching one up between fingers, she examined it, "why it could be worn any where." she adored, and then standing to move to kiss him in thanks. But her toe stood on her hem and she stumbled from chair forwards, and in the kerfuffle bumped the table that set a splash of hot chocolate over her paper!

There was a lovely, gentle warmth to Noni, a sweet, innocent happiness that James positively basked in when he was at home. She made home that much more welcoming and he did what he could to ensure that she was happy and comfortable, and not troubled by the unpleasant parts of life more than she had to be. It was, he felt, how a husband and wife should work together.

Noni made appropriate noises as he related his activities for the day, even though he doubted they were particularly interesting to her. It helped him to arrange his own thoughts, and like the good woman she was, she humoured him. She was his blessing. Trust her to latch onto the one item that did hold her interest however, as she made delicate enquiry regarding the fitting, no doubt concerned over her husband’s renowned lack of fashion sense. “I did decide to go with the blue; the one you liked.” His wife’s preferences were perhaps a little whimsical, but still more fashionable than his own. She was wont to gently remind him that, given his position, he couldn’t mooch around in his charcoal wools that he wore as a physician. The things one had to do.

Noni sympathised with Turnbull’s situation; that was just like her. So much time for so many people, and not a nasty or judgemental bone in her body. It was one of the reasons that he loved her. “It does take time, doesn’t it? Perhaps we should invite him to the afternoon tea?” He suggested. He wasn’t entirely certain that Turnbull was really part of their circle of people, but he definitely wouldn’t be if he wasn’t given the opportunity. Besides, Lord and Lady Gowran were known to be rather Libertine, but Diana was coming for Noni’s sake.

Talk of the tea was put on hold for a moment as Noni admired the contents of the little box. “I do believe that is the idea.” He agreed, when she observed that one might pin the flowers anywhere. “I thought they would look very fetching on you.” She seemed to agree, for she moved forward and he thought she might kiss him, then suddenly she tripped and he suddenly ended up with a lap full of his wife, automatically catching hold of her to steady her as she fell.

“Whoops.” He said gently. “Are you alright darling?” He asked putting his arms about her and keeping his tone light. Clumsiness was part of Noni’s life, he knew, and had largely grown accustomed to it. He could only imagine it to be an embarrassing affliction, and with all the good she brought to his life, the least he could do was not make a fuss about it. “Well now, if you’d wished to sit in my lap, you need only ask.” He said quietly, and kissed her temple.

Just then he noticed the spilt chocolate. “Ah, Grace, do fetch a towel and a fresh cup of chocolate, there’s a good girl.” He called to the maid who was hovering. “Easily fixed.” He murmured reassuringly into his wife’s hair as he brushed a curl back around Noni’s ear. He had seen the piece of paper, but he assumed that if his wife wanted him to know what was in it, she would tell him. He trusted her and wouldn’t stoop to demanding to read her mail.

Fine shoulders eased, and concern once more slipped from her face. "Blue shall match your eyes..." she expressed happily. There was also the fact that she'd ordered a gown with blue accents that would work so harmoniously alongside, but she wanted that to be a surprise for James.

“Yes do invite him, I want to be well known to all of your friends." She replied without a moments thought. It was an opener to talk of the tea party, but he distracted her with the petite gift.

She was just so excited of it, that even though trying to take care, she managed to stumble and found herself caught in James arms. She flushed a bright pink, lashed fluttering with the embarrassment, and making a lopsided smile as he made light of it. "You always save me don't you." with a small voice spoke, and grasping hold of his arms she hitched herself up. "What I'd wanted to do, was this." and she placed a rather stout kiss upon his lips.

She just loved him so much.

And just like that he managed things about, Grace dabbed the paper and spill with her cloth, and Noni turned to watch. She hoped all her work was not lost, but she felt remarkably calm about it none the less. Perhaps because she was within James arms? She was quite simply reluctant to leave this newly found perch upon his lap. Indeed, she rested her head against his as she watched the maid at her work. Whispering, "This feels so nice." Besides, she was not likely to forget all the ideas she'd had, whether they were written down or not. The little blonde let her eyes slip closed in enjoyment of the moment.

• 6 months later...

The ease in Noni's face as he confirmed he'd acquiesced to her preference with regard to the colour of his new suit confirmed in his eyes the wisdom of that deference. His own fashion sense was missing, presumed dead, and whilst hers was rather whimsical he'd yet to fault her choices for anything more than a little more fancy than he would have chosen. He loved to see her happy.

Smiling as she in turn agreed with his suggestion, he mused that she had a most generous nature. Lieutenant Turnbull would be added to the guest list, and know that he was amongst friends.

Suddenly a little accident ended with Noni in his lap as the maid cleaned up the spilled cocoa. It was an entirely agreeable arrangement, to his way of thinking. Did he always save her? He certainly tried to. "And I always will." He promised her fondly, wanting her to know that she was safe and secure, much as he was sure she already did. The fond and not at all shy kiss made him chuckle. "And you always make me smile." He replied fondly.

She turned to watch Grace for a moment, but he ran a the back of a hand down her cheek, not wanting her to focus on the spill, which was almost set to rights. She couldn't help being clumsy, and he would not have her distressed of it. He felt her relax into his arms even as she murmured her pleasure, and he gently stroked her beautiful hair, the blonde curls so charming and child-like. "Perhaps you should sit here more often." He murmured quietly, thinking much the same thing. And whilst their affection for each other might not be particularly fashionable, what they did in their own home was their own business.

Leaning against him, her delicate face was so close. Tilting his head he returned her kiss, more gently and lingering over it. He loved that she wasn't grasping and demanding like other women at court, who frankly intimidated him. Just gentle, kind and believed the best of everyone. His sweet angel.

It was an altogether perfect moment, and James must have thought so too for he suggested she should set there more often. Noni made a burbling happy sound and giggled, "Shall I attend you at Chelsea Physic, and we can embrace like this and ease the stresses of the days work from your shoulders?"

The only bad thing about being married, that she'd reckoned, was that her husband was such a diligent man that he packed himself off to work so very often! Far more often than anyone else’s husband (that she knew of). Noni missed him terribly, and was not at all good at hiding that.

Perhaps then, this graduation to making a joke about it was a glimpse of stoicism growing within his little bride? Or perhaps she was hiding a serious thought behind a joke? Two wide eyes moved to meet his... apparently his reply was required.

Noni’s suggestion, however humorous, gave James pause. In her innocent way she was sometimes a reality check for him. “I fear that your attending me at the Veteran’s Hospital might get the Veterans all excited.” He replied with good humour. “And then I shall get in trouble from the nurses, for they have to deal with them, and every sensible man fears the nurses’ ire!” Well, he did if he wanted things to happen the way he expected anyway.

But it was still just fancy. “The fact is that I’m only there first thing in the morning.” He admitted, half to himself. “It’s more of a consulting role really.” Which he quite enjoyed, but didn’t really have a lot of time for any more, which wasn’t fair to the patients. “I’m quite busy with my duties for the Queen.” Being both her Physician and Minister for Charity meant that he had a lot of things to do. He mused.

Busy with so many things really. It wasn’t often that he had time to sit with his wife, on his lap or not. People referred to the gentry as the leisured class, but he didn’t seem to be very leisured. So he enjoyed his moments where he could find them. But maybe Noni was interested in the Veterans, or in charity the way other ladies were? “Did you want to spend time at the Hospital?” He asked her, grey eyes seeking blue. Then a faint smile curved his moustache. “Or was the location not the point?” He asked, as the shoe dropped with a resounding clang.

"Why would I excite the soldiers?" Noni blinked, quite blind to any effect her own womanliness might have on men. "But if you think it would distress them, I'd not want to cause any fuss. Especially with the nurses."

It sounded like it the Nurses were most to be feared, she for one did not want to be scolded!

James seemed to take a stocktake of his duties then, and his young wife drew a breath to hold it, with hope. Perhaps he'd quit one of his jobs, and have more time to spend with her! But his resultant thoughts were far from that. "Oh. Oh... no, I don’t actually want to go to the Hospital." She gave a smile as she admitted that - then nearly leaped when the shoe dropped loudly! The combination was enough to muddle her mind, and she flushed a bright pink.

"James, I don’t hardly know what I want, except to be with you." Her eyes slid towards her messed papers. "Oh, and to have a wonderful dinner party, with leaping lions jumping through flames." the last was spoken in a faraway voice, "With jugglers and acrobats, and someone swinging from the ceiling sprinkling confetti all about..." she'd visualised it all, the perfect party.

“Oh, you wouldn’t distress the gentlemen, not an angel like you.” James assured his wife, though he decided not to elaborate further. Noni’s innocence was part of her appeal to him, and he suspected that the realisation would only embarrass her. Besides, she apparently didn’t really want to go to the Hospital anyway.

Which led – eventually – to the realisation that if it wasn’t the Hospital that appealed, it had to be something else. Him. Which she confirmed with her next words. She just wanted to be with him. For a moment the world was perfect, his loving wife in his arms, wanting only his company. Then suddenly there were flaming lions.

“Is there a circus in town?” James asked, a little confused. “Did you want to hire them for the party?” Where else would one get flaming lions and swingers juggling confetti? It seemed a bit cold though, circuses usually had tents and… things. Didn’t they? It was too cold for tents. “I had thought that we should have some games.” He said, as though that were in some way agreeing with her idea. “Hallway bowles and a pin-the-tail perhaps? With prizes?” It would of needs be indoors.

Well, they could work that out. In the meantime there were other considerations. “And I’ll tell you what. I’ll speak to Governor Trenchton about replacing me at the Hospital.” He had thought of doing so before. “Perhaps we should make a little donation there, since it’s where I got my start, and where we were married.” Though of course there had already been a donation for the use of the Chapel. James had many fond memories associated with the Chelsea Veteran’s Hospital.

When asked if a circus was in town, the little blonde shook her head. "Oh but James anyone can have party games, that is just so very plain. Our party should be something remarkable, more than just a party, it shall be an occasion filled with wonder and marvel."

Of her numerous failings, lack of imagination was not one. She managed to picture the most extraordinary things, and more than that, dared to embrace them. She was quite shameless in indulging her fantasies.

"Oh but they wont be real lion silly." she flashed a grin and tugged on his goatee, "they shall be dogs, in lion costumes." she pressed her hand back around his neck and explained. "Quite small dogs."

"Oh but I do like your idea of indoor bowls. That sounds wonderful fun, and people do love to do actual sports inside, but the lounge is not big enough for tennis." she paused. "I've heard of some people riding their horses inside, now that is very extravagant. But I worry that the Horses hooves would not like the hard marble, it’s not soft like dirt. And do you think that it would give them cold hooves? I hate bare feet on marble, especially in winter."

A gasp of delighted surprise, and her eyes widened further. "Oh James, would you really!" she flung herself into an embrace.

There was a reason that people had party games; they were easy and harmless. Noni however has visions of magical events to astound the attendees. James had no problem with her vivid imagination, it was her apparent complete lack of ability to do a reality check that could occasionally be the source of husbandly exasperation. Especially when she called him silly. What was he supposed to think? He half suspected she changed her story when he threw the harsh light of reality on it sometimes, though he tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. Noni was anything but duplicitous.

“I see. And where shall find these performing dogs in lion costumes?” He asked, still imagining some sort of circus. But a niggling doubt began to grow. After all, they had small dogs. Louis the poodle and Minerva the spaniel, not to mention their half-grown litter of disgustingly cute curly-fluffy puppies. He was halfway inclined to offer them as prizes at the party, anything to get them out from underfoot.

“I do think that indoor bowls would be fun, but tennis and horses should remain outside; we don’t want any broken windows nor damage to the flooring.” Never mind the horses’ hooves. “As should flames of any description, lest something catch fire.” Which knowing Noni would be almost guaranteed. “But I’m certain the party will be lots of fun. I have some good games in mind, you’ll see.” He promised, making a mental note to think some up and quickly.

What exhasperation he had felt at his wife’s excessive fancy vanished as Noni gasped delightedly and hugged him enthusiastically. Seeing her happy brought him joy like nothing else. “I will.” He confirmed for her, hugging her tightly. If it meant that much to her then he’d talk to Trenchton about retiring from the Hospital. “Then we can spend more time together.” He murmured into her gold curls. “In fact, I was thinking that we could spend a little time together now.” He suggested, kissing her ear lightly.

• 2 weeks later...

"Um... there will be an agency for that sort of thing certainly. I mean everyone loves animals that can do tricks, anyone with trained dogs will be in high demand. Goodness, it might cost quite a lot James, but it will be worth every penny."

She'd not thought of using her own precious little dogs, who were notoriously untrainable!

Indoor boules was unanimously agreed, though the joy upon his little wife’s face fell to disappointment as he ruled out anything with fire. But the hoops need to be on fire, for the danger is half of the thrill." She protested, lower lip jutting. "Oh please James. We can have buckets with water nearby, just to be safe.

There was good news too however, hearing of James retiring from his practice was just wonderful! Giggling of his notion of celebrating alone-time she exclaimed, "But we are in the middle of an important conversation James! Or are flames allowed then? Pretty please?" she kissed him upon the cheek in return, with a very transparent attempt of using her feminine wiles.

• 2 weeks later...

James sighed gently. An agency for performing dogs? Agencies were for serious things like workers and real estate and the like. Circuses came and went through towns with whatever performances they happened to have, settling for a week or two before moving on when people got bored. Roving players were much the same, with their performances. Although, the court of course knew well what happened when a theatre company had a permanent home base. Might a circus become equally complex and elaborate? It was an interesting thought.

"I don't believe that there is such an agency." He said honestly. "But I'll have a look around and see whether I can find something." He promised. He didn't like to disappoint his wife; it was like kicking a puppy. Except for when her fancies put her in danger.

The attempted application of feminine wiles might have been more successful is Noni weren't so terribly transparent. "The hoops can be on fire if they are outside, Noni." James said firmly. "I shall not risk our lovely house, which you have so carefully and beautifully decorated, catching fire. I would break my heart, and I won't risk your safety." He said in gentle tones, giving her shoulders a squeeze. "We shall have an afternoon tea, so that if I can find any such performances, they can occur in the gardens before it gets dark." There, that was a sensible compromise, and it was clear from James' demeanor that he expected her to accept his judgement.

• 2 weeks later...

"No agency for performers?" Noni slowly blinked several times. "Oh but there must be such a place, I am sure you shall find it. Or... shall I go out to look. I am tired of sitting indoors. I could take the maid, and... I wonder if that love Lady Lismore is at court this season? Perhaps she'd like to come along too." She smiled again, enjoying thoughts of a social excursion. She was so helpful the day we got married. I don’t know if I have really thanked her enough in person."

Giving a sigh, she accepted his final word on the flaming hoops. "All right then."

Fortunately for her, any disappointment did not remain in her pretty little head for long though, and she was soon smiling again his counter offer. "It does not have to be hoops. Like, if they want to jump over flaming hurdles then that would be fine too!"

Archived